Speaker 1: Hello, friends, Welcome to the podcast. Did is Mall and Monty do a day? If you're new yay? If you're old yay, Come and have a play?
Speaker 2: Hello? Hello? Can I kick off with something? I've noticed a fashion thing, a male fashion thing, so I get a lot of Harry styles on my algorithm. Do you yeah?
Speaker 1: How do you feel about he and Zoe?
Speaker 2: I think I think they're a match made in heaven. To be honest, They're so suited in every way. I think that's how I feel like they are. Just could they be actually any cooler? Like I reckon they would just have one big wardrobe and they'd share clothes with each other. Like, I just feel like he's so fucking effortlessly cool. She's the coolest human on the planet. And then together, like combined, imagine how cool their kids are going to be. Yeah, I do also think I think, oh, he's very pop and she seems.
Speaker 1: Very like alternative, but he's alternative. He's very alternative.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm noticing his very into wearing short shorts on notice that like tailored short shorts. And then I saw a clip of you know, bad Bunny Yes wearing short shorts, and I just thought I don't know if I'm here for it.
Speaker 1: No, wait, he wears short shots, she wears short shots. No, I am not into short shots on guys at all.
Speaker 2: If look, if maybe there's a sporting element there, perhaps.
Speaker 1: When even like an AFL short is the shortest that a short can go, but that cannot be worn off a field. No, my god, no, But maybe it's in the like the fact that it's like a tailored short with I think, like a belt and then a shirt. I mean, far be it from me to criticize because I am realizing as I'm getting older. Oh, it's actually I'm not trendy. It's that I'm stuck in my ways. But I just am like, I can see a male thigh is attractive in the right situation, a glimpse of it, like if the short goes up a bit and you see the male thigh muscle not just on full display, where the just basically their balls are covered a couple of inches below their ball not interested. Remember like the marathon runners and they used to wear like the short shorts that came up at the site. Yes, like Steve Montagetty, remember, Yes, Steve Montaghetty was like remember back in the day, how big because now everyone's got social media and just everyone's whatever famous. But remember like even though like the Iron Men didn't used to wear short shorts, but like you Grant Kenny's and your Trevor Handy's and then your guy what was his name, guy Guy Leech, I wanted to Yeah, they were fucking huge, And then your swimmers were all big, you know, like all your athletes were so big.
Speaker 2: It sort of goes back to that thing with the pressure on girls, women whatever to look a certain way when we were growing up. Even though there was the pressure in magazines and stuff, there was also a real separation of oh they're a model, they're an anomaly, they're just stunning. We're not like that, yes, but now it's like everyone filters everything, everyone gets shited done all the time, and it's like you look at people and you're like, oh, no, well everyone's beautiful except for me. It's like it's become commonplace to be just doing things.
Speaker 1: And also for us too, I don't know what's ai and what's not. Like the other week or Kate Soebrano puts something up, going, oh I saw that for the first time. I've been tricks with AI. It was a photo of her holding a photo of who was that beautiful man that passed? He's sam Neil, sam Neil, and she's like, I never did that. It was her holding up a photo of sam Neil and her the last time they were together, which never happened. So A I completely created this photo of Kate Sobrano crying holding up this photo and she's like and I was like, that's terrifying, Like being famous now you're so subjected to that. God, things pop up in my feet. It's this this thing that helps you shit that I bought once. It's like a really sugary powdery drink, but now like Kendall, Jenna pops up promoting it, Kylie Jenner, Margo Robbie, None of it's real. It's all AI.
Speaker 2: That's really scary to me because you think lot people can do with your image.
Speaker 1: Like totally, and this brand's not paying those women at all. And to start with, I was like, oh, Kendall uses it, and then I'm like, oh no, Margo Robbie would never use this shitting thing and be sponsored.
Speaker 2: You know. I mean maybe she does, but she'd keep it under wraps for sure.
Speaker 1: Definitely keep it under wraps. There's nothing sexy about a constipated girl. What a shame. So now your beautiful girl turned eighteen.
Speaker 2: She did. I was just about to say I'm the mother of an adult, and then I thought that sounds like I'm making it about me. I'm so conscious of that. But yeah, she turned eighteen, and I really struggled with it, like just because I think I said this before. It's not that she's grown up. It's that I feel like, oh, I wasn't paying attention. It went too fast, like some Yeah, there's a shift. But she's like, you know, I don't want to be one of those people that are like parents, like my kid's so great, because she definitely has her fault, as we all do, but she really is such pretty amazing. She's such a good kid. But we're organizing her party.
Speaker 1: So she gonna have a party at the house. God no, oh my god. I know I was going to say, I've never been to your house in fucking fifteen years. How is she to have a party there?
Speaker 2: I told you that year I did Christmas and it almost undid me. It's like anyway, but yeah, no, we're having it out and the other day we were going through a playlist of songs because her big thing, she said two things. She doesn't want it a formal, sit down thing. She wants, you know, like everyone just sort of roving around, and she wants music, and she wants people dancing and everyone.
Speaker 1: All anyone wants for their party is people to dance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it's a sign that everyone's having a good time.
Speaker 1: It is. But you know what's essential to get people to dance alcohol alcohol, Yes, but the dance floor has to be perfectly lit. If it's too bright, no one's getting on that dance floor.
Speaker 2: Okay, the lighting in the place is spectacular. Oh thank god, it's soft and warm. Great, everyone right, hot sorted. I did consider that, but we're going through the her playlist of songs. Yeah, and I really realized, which will come as no surprise to you. What a fucking control freak. I am a choice. Oh my god. She put a song on there because I was trying really hard to go, this is your party.
Speaker 1: It's going to be how you want, except for what mummy wants will go in there as well.
Speaker 2: No, but like I might give a suggestion, but this is about you, not me. But there was one song I had to pull her up on and I was like, it's canceled if you put that song on. I actually, this is what I said to her. I said, I have never, ever, ever, in your whole life, said I'm ashamed of you about it, except for right now. And I'm ashamed she said to put on there. I'm sorry, I'm embarrassed to even say it.
Speaker 1: Play it, play it for me, mate, me hear it.
Speaker 2: Let's go girls, and you're getting into it. I knew you'd get into it. I knew you'd been this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you think I've got really bad music taste. I'm I'm not like, that's not like a cracker. I need to get on the dance floor. But I reckon that will get people up there.
Speaker 2: I yeah, no, I really put my foot down. I'm like, I understand there are songs that are good to have the people sing along to.
Speaker 1: On the yes that everyone can get. Let's go right, who is that shanaiin Shani toine.
Speaker 2: I am not here for that. I will not allow that. I hate that song. That is like her saying to me, let's put the grease megamix on.
Speaker 1: Ah, yeah, which is another great one that will work.
Speaker 2: And trying really hard to, you know, let it be about what she wants, but that I just had to draw the line. Okay. I was like nah. And then some some of my suggestions she's like I would never have that, or like I'm trying to look for a dress for her to wear, and everything I show, everything I look at and go what about this? What about this? She's like, I would never wear that? And I'm like, okay, all right.
Speaker 1: Isn't it so funny when sometimes you like think, oh, yeah, this would work for them, and then you're like, oh, you wouldn't like that at all. I didn't. Yeah. Yeah, So can you tell me what's the rough cost of an eighteenth birthday party?
Speaker 2: And this is this is not Look, it's actually not unreasonable, and this is not this is just a place in Carlton, so it's not like some high end whatever. Yeah, it's a minimum spend of three and a half grand. Yeah, that's that's pretty average, which I feel is average. And then there's you know, like and you've got to pay for the food. No, no, no, So minimum spend is you've got to spend at least that much so alcohol, food, whatever, which, yeah, you'll shit it in by the time like having an open bar people, so you do it full open.
Speaker 1: Bar for the whole night.
Speaker 2: Probably, Wow, there's look, there's some drinkers and there's some that just do not touch alcohol, so it'll balance itself out.
Speaker 1: Is it an open bar, like can I please get a margarita? Or is it just like beer, wine and spirits don't tails? No?
Speaker 2: No, no, I'm not going to open cocktails. You can have spirits like you can say, oh, you know, can I have a gin and tonic or whatever, But no, I'm not going to put like a thirty dollars cocktail on their No.
Speaker 1: Like I remember being eighteen though, and and friends having open bars and it was just an open bar is so glorious. Even as an adult, it's just so fucking glorious, you know, because like the last big party I went to was a friend's fortieth. I'm forty five, so that tells you how long ago was. But it was like a put everything on, like glorious food, and you wouldn't even fear. And I think the main drinks were margaritas, which are my favorite. So you wouldn't even finish your margarita and someone would hand you a new one. So you don't realize how much you've had to drink. You get absolutely trolleyed because it's just like somebody's there constantly filling your cup. But fuck, it's so fun, and especially as a kid, because most kids probably don't drink now because it's so expensive.
Speaker 2: Well, my daughter will not even have a sip of Wild's I know. And it's funny the idea of unpicking, like this concept of even myself, I'm happy she's not drinking because nothing good comes from alcohol, like it's not good for you or whatever. But I still find myself saying, what do you just have a sip a sip and try it? And I was thinking about it the other day and I said that to her, and I said, I think it's more me. It's not about the alcohol, it's about her rigid thinking, like, you don't have to think I'm a non drink I will never have a sip of alcohol, Like you can have a sip because you like the taste. You don't have to get shit faced, Like what's her reasoning for not wanting to even have a sip? She's just not interested. I think a lot of it is the fear of being drunk and out of control. And also she has I actually think it's a thing. It's called a metaphobia. So it's like she is so terrified of vomiting. Really funny, and like I say to her, but you could have a glass of something. It's not going to get you drunk, Like you don't have to get drunk. But she's just like, I'm not doing that, same as when she was three. I'm not eating chocolate. I don't like chocolate. And that's so it's more about the rigid thinking than the actual drinking. But it was, Yeah, it's so much a part of our culture.
Speaker 1: It's so yeah, because as somebody who's not a drinker, I have been like had so like and when I say I'm not a drinker, I don't. I will drink maybe two times a year if we go to a party or something like that. I don't need to have a glass of wine at night, and I don't need to have a glass of wine when we go out for dinner. I just don't. There's such a high risk of me getting a migraine that it's not worth it for me. So I kind of pick and choose. But it's amazing how even more so when we were younger, how it was. It's such a part of our culture that if you're not drinking, you're just classed.
Speaker 2: Is not fun. It's weird drinking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like it's so weird and it's such an unhealthy thing to force people to drink. But I can see it in my sons that I think I'm going to be fucking in for it. And they're only fourteen and nearly twelve, and I can see that they're going to give it a real nunch.
Speaker 2: It's just a slippery slope because it's like it gives you a bit of confidence totally take it, and you're like, oh, I'm not overthinking myself.
Speaker 1: The other day, backs was talking joking about having a gummy with somebody, and I said, mate, it will make you so paranoid. You'll be the kid in the corner being all parent like tried to fully fucking scare him. But I'm like, he's going to do it at some point, like they're all going to do it at some point, So I'm just got it. And Sam had the consent chat with him the other day and he said, well, it wasn't really a chat, it was more just going have they spoken to you about consent at school. He's like no, and then he's like, well do you know what consent is? And blah blah blah. It was like a thirty second chat. But I said to them, well, at least that's off the list, Like that's done. Our job there is done. But I've said to him before, like, you're going to end up going to parties. He's not that. He hasn't been to a party yet. He's only fourteen. But there's going to be parties. You and your friends at some point are going to have too much to drink or drugs are going to be offered. You just have to call constantly, like you can. If you get too drunk or a friend gets too drunk, you have to call. You're never ever ever going to be in trouble, and he won't because if he calls me like that.
Speaker 2: I just used to.
Speaker 1: Constantly call my mum when I had would have too much to drink, be like yeah, and she'd come and pick me up. And just a safety knowing you're okay and you're not in trouble. Yeah, I know, is so essential. I reckon, Yeah, but it's it's scary. It's scary out there that idea of my God. And also vaping, like I said to Ahlo the other day, and like vaping, the vapes are really yummy. They taste like grape. They're full of chemicals and you will get cancer.
Speaker 2: I just goes, well, I think you can, but you can say that.
Speaker 1: I think, well, it's true, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, I just argue that everything we're saying is like what our parents would have said to us. Saw the idea that don't ever smoke. Smoking so bad for you, And it's like when you're young, you think I'll quit in time, I'll be right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally invincible. Same as the sun. When they leave the house with the sunscreen. I'm like, you got a game. They're like, I don't care, Like, yeah's a problem for me. Hey, I read this beautiful thing that I wanted to share with you, which is quite timely for you now now that you've got an eighteen year old daughter. But it's written by Meren porter On. It was on nine dot com dot au or whatever that website is, and it is about just yesterday I took We've Got a Pump track over the road and Odie is five now, and he's my youngest and I got a what it's a pump track, like a bipump track. So it's like this kind of like with this ramp sort of like with like bumps and you go around and yeah, you're not meant to kind of pedal, you kind of pump the bike around. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, every kid breaks their arms on it. But he's only just got into a big boy bike and it's so watching him. Yesterday I consciously said, put your phone down and watch your little boy, and just watching him fly around, and I just had all those going to make me cry now, But that was my baby, Like, he's my last one, and he's now growing up and doing things that you don't like. You know, when they're little, you don't expect them to do things, and I'm like, oh, you're doing things now that Yeah, I can't explain it, but it's the last for me because he's my last one. But he's so me still, like he's I don't see him as separate to me. The older two I see is separate to me, but he's still mine and he's still just this little guy that is my sidekick. And yesterday, looking at him, I'm like, oh, fuck, you're becoming more your own person, like you're out there riding your bike, chatting to little kids, and just am having more and more of those moments at the moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, so this piece this morning I read and I thought, I want to read it out to you. And it's a lady's written it because her son is away and it's the first time he's been away for one of his birthdays. So he's obviously I think he's about nineteen, and she shared every birthday with him, but he's not here for his birthday this year, and it's just kind of hit her that, oh, like, yeah, that's I don't just automatically get to have you for your birthdays. And it made me think, I'm like, I still have my boys for all their birthdays at the moment, but I'm not always going.
Speaker 2: To, you know, deal trip the shit out of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just come home.
Speaker 2: So I gave birth to you.
Speaker 1: It's my birthday, all right, So I'm going to read you this. Yeah, mother and son, son and mother. We were inseparable in the early years. It was hard to know where I ended and he began. Until that time between has started to stretch. That invisible tether grew longer wider, from baby to toddler to little boy, big boy, adolescent, teen, late teen, and finally an adult. That string, whether you call it your heart string or your apron string, strained and strained until it almost but never quite snapped. You go from being your child's favorite person to their least favorite person almost overnight. One minute he is clinging to your legs begging you not to leave him at childcare for a few hours, to hopping on a bus for school camp without even looking back. That first time without contact feels like a piece of your heart has been taken out of your chest. Recently, he has talked more about moving overseas for work or sport, or a stint of studying abroad. Each time he says it, it's like an arrow piercing my heart. How will I cope without seeing him every day, knowing if he is safe, Listening for a car to pull up and the key to go into the front door, the sounds that calms a mother's heart. Then I remind myself I will have to for he is not mine. Yes, he was given to me for a short rile, too short, but he was only on loan just one year. As a baby was all I got a couple. As a toddler, you get the drift. So while I am sad today that I don't get to wrap my arms around my son on his birthday, I am happy he is walking along his own path, a path that has been illuminated by the thousands of steps we took together.
Speaker 2: Oh that's beautiful.
Speaker 1: Isn't that so beautiful? I loved it, and I was like, that's so timely for you and also for me having a mini that. I'm like, we're still so tethered together, but he's slowly not you know, I know, motherhood parenting so full on.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is, but I feel pretty solid in that theull always need us, Like, yeah, I don't think that ever goes away. I think it's just the idea of their life will take off. We have to just sit and watch it happen, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, overseas, trips that I'm going to move in with so and.
Speaker 2: So, like all of that. You know, I don't know if I said this to you, but my daughter had said at one point she's got this thing, she really wants to travel and whatever, and I'm like, okay, okay, but in my head, I'm like, yep, Yep, great idea, because I know it's not a reality yet. But I said to her she'd said something about it at some point, maybe wanting to live overseas or something. And I said to her, this is really really hard to say, but we want you to listen to our advice. But what we want more is for you to make the decisions that are right for you as you grow and you become an adult, to think for yourself without basing what you want to do on pleasing us, which is really fucking hard for me to say, because if she, if the time comes, she does do that, I will, like, I'll be like the Beatles. She might be in Greece and I'll be sitting on a park bench with like.
Speaker 1: Reading the newspaper.
Speaker 2: We cut it out, like the letting go, because you know what it's your biggest fear is something happening to them. And again I guess it's control, the control.
Speaker 1: It's total control when they're under your I sometimes say, when all three of my boys are home and in bed, I say to Sam, I feel so safe right now, like knowing all everyone who I love is under this house. Sometimes it gets to the point where I'm like, I just need the boys home. I need us all in the same house to just feel But that's not something we're going to have forever.
Speaker 2: No, it's limited. Like all the best meetings, it's always limited.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're so right and that yet we still wish every fucking second of it away. Oh my friends, we are out of here. Thank you so much for joining us today. Show and Tell Podcasts is where you can find us, send us a message. We love hearing from you guys. And we have a Patreon where we do a little podcast every couple of weeks over there, and it's about about five dollars a month. Just help us with the running of the podcast for us. If you want to jump over onto our patreon, Shantel Podcasts is what that's called as well. All right, both for now, Love yous,