Speaker 1: Hello, everyone, it's Brooke and it's Monty.
Speaker 2: This is our podcast ah crinny.
Speaker 3: And if you're still listening after that tune, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you so very much, and thank you to all of you that listened to our pod the other week. We can see the numbers and we get excited because they're like, oh, that's good. If you're listening, you're getting something from it, and maybe you're sharing it with somebody who's got a chronic illness.
Speaker 2: Because this is what this podcast is all about.
Speaker 1: If you know, I'm Monty, I have chronic fatigue, chronic migraines, pot syndrome, and probably other shit in there as well.
Speaker 3: And I'm Brooke and I have MS, multiple sclerosis, endometriosis, chronic fatigue.
Speaker 4: There's more, but I won't bore you.
Speaker 2: God, isn't it wild.
Speaker 1: Off.
Speaker 2: I'm like, that's so sad.
Speaker 4: God, that's sad.
Speaker 3: And then some people are just walking out there in the world with nothing wrong with them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I contactly look at people and I'm like, how do you have nothing? Like? How is your life like that? How can you go out there and go for a jog or go to the shop and not be overwhelmed.
Speaker 3: It's really not fair, like we've got so many things, like surely like someone else could take a couple just to get exactly totally. You know what, Monty, I'm quite into alternative therapies and kind of woo woo things and correct me if I'm wrong. But I think a lot of people with chronique illness are into these kind of things because you know, you'll give anything a try, right, Yes, totally.
Speaker 1: I go through phases where I'm hugely into it. I'm like, Okay, I'm going to give it a go again, and then I realize I come away with sixty four million vitamins and about twenty thousand dollars less in my pocket.
Speaker 3: Yes, it can be a very expensive little process. But I wanted to tell you about a couple of things that I've had done over the last week that.
Speaker 4: Have really blown my mind.
Speaker 3: So firstly, I had a lymphatic drainage massage.
Speaker 4: Have you heard of this?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I have.
Speaker 4: I think it's They're.
Speaker 3: Pretty common, Like you know, a lot of people have them, and it's supposed to help release the toxins from your body, get your lymph nodes moving and move the energy around all that kind of stuff, and I had it because someone had told me, after you do like a big treatment, like with MS, you do, you have regular treatments and they can be quite tough on your body. And so someone suggested I try it. So I went twice and it was lovely, you know, pretty run of the mill kind of stuff. The third time I went, it was insane, Nick, you won't like, I just can't believe it. My whole body just started doing all this weird, crazy involuntary movements. My right leg kept like kicking up like I was a horse or something, and I could.
Speaker 4: Not stop it.
Speaker 3: So I'm saying, oh my god, I'm so embarrassed. I'm so embarrassed. Just beautiful seem he's doing it. Was like, no, this is great, this is great. And I'm trying to tell my mind stop moving your legs, stop it.
Speaker 4: I cannot stop it.
Speaker 3: And then my upper body starts shaking, like uncontrollably shaky, and.
Speaker 4: When cold, No, not cold at all. It was just like this involuntary movement.
Speaker 3: And she said, look, it doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen sometimes, and it's like the trauma being released from your body. I was like wow, whatever it was, it felt amazing because I felt like it has to be doing something, like totally like doing this crazy thing. It has to be doing something, and so I've been I'm like continuing to go and see see me and have this type of massage.
Speaker 4: But in the meantime, I.
Speaker 3: Do these strength classes with this my beautiful trainer, Felicity, and she has started doing these spinal energetics sessions.
Speaker 2: Have you heard of spiral and A, yeah, I have, I've had it done before. It's fucking out there.
Speaker 4: Of course you have.
Speaker 3: Yes, Okay, I want to hear about your experience. But I went to that and I was like, you know, I always have an open mind, but I had seen videos of people having these sessions and they're doing all this crazy stuff, and I thought that won't happen to me.
Speaker 1: Well, because they just hover over your back. If you haven't had this or heard about it, they hover over you back and then they do things like yes, yes, move try and move energy with weird.
Speaker 3: Broises and sat yes and like really gentle movements and sounds. And Felicity has this beautiful, soothing voice too, oh yeah all do.
Speaker 4: Oh so beautiful.
Speaker 3: And when I walked in. I was so tired, and she said, oh, some people nap, so I thought it'll probably nap, but I didn't. The same kind of thing happened again when my upper body just started shaking like crazy. My stomach was doing this weird contracting movement. And then even towards the end and she's saying, Okay, come back. Now the session had finished. I'm still like trying to tell myself stop moving.
Speaker 1: And I couldn't want to try it again because I know that you do you know what I mean, you know when you know somebody that has had that reaction, like sometimes you'll meet people and like this is amazing.
Speaker 2: It fixed me, and I'm like, horseshit.
Speaker 1: But because it works so wealthy, I maybe go, oh, maybe I should try it again.
Speaker 2: I can't believe your body did that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can't either.
Speaker 3: And after the final energetic session, I left like I went in feeling so tired and I left feeling so energized. Wow, like really like could have gone for a run. I mean I can't run because I have a mess.
Speaker 4: But had you popped a.
Speaker 2: DEXI before you I'm just trying to think.
Speaker 4: Of it, the reasons why it could have worked.
Speaker 3: It was seriously, it was amazing. It was really amazing. Wow again, it's like all this trauma that we store in our bodies totally gets released. We should get Felicity on at some point to explain it better.
Speaker 2: Than we definitely should.
Speaker 1: But I'm so thrilled that's kind of working for you because even if there yeah, there are parts that are working for you, like clearly there's something moving in your body, but also like as placebo as well, I'm getting something from this, then you'll.
Speaker 2: Keep getting more from it.
Speaker 1: Yes, but I had it when I went to see a friend. Mutual friend of ours said you got to go and see this acupuncturist. She's amazing. And I was in a pretty bad place with my head at that moment, like nothing was budging it. So I went to her and she said, oh, look, I'm just going to do this. It's called spinal energetics, and then we'll move into cupping and acupuncture. I'm like okay, And so she started the and I'm like, what the fuck is this doing? And then I laid there and all I could think of was let's get onto the acupuncture. Like it did nothing, absolutely nothing, And I spoke to a friend about it, and I said, what are your thoughts on And he's a cairo An osteo, and a lot of Osteos are quite you know, spiritual. Yeah, yeah, yes, yeah, And he was like, look, for some people it's fantastic and then other people it just does not work, which I guess is everything.
Speaker 4: Ye, well, I guess.
Speaker 3: Although when you're here in Sydney next to Montelle, I'm going to take you to one of these sessions.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, I'll give it a crack.
Speaker 1: But so while you're out there having horse kicks and being relaxed. Since we last spoke, I have had anal probing from a nurse like I have such bad digestion that I might have to go and check this out.
Speaker 2: And so my GP's like, you've got to go to this doctor.
Speaker 1: He's basically a bum doctor, so he works with all of that stuff, but you have to have these tests. So I had to go in lay on a bed and I had this young nurse say, I'm just gonna have to insert my fingers, insert these probes, do all of this stuff. I'm laying on my side with this lady shoving every utensil that she didn't find up me. And as I'm laying there, the door opens and this lady walks in, going, is that Katie Diamond there with you?
Speaker 2: And she's like, yes, get out.
Speaker 1: So my bead bum with these things hanging out is on display to this lady. And then I go into doctor and he's like, yeah, look, we've got to have to give you these tablets to help you digestion and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: But he kept saying rectum.
Speaker 4: I could not concentrate so immature. That would just crack you up. Sitting there going I'm saw immature.
Speaker 1: If he says rectum again, I'm going to crack up honestly, like six times, You've got to stop. I swear that you would not have heard anything he said beyond that point I did is you would have just been a league.
Speaker 2: I literally did not hear a thing. I'm like, this is shows where my.
Speaker 4: Maturity level is.
Speaker 2: Where I'm sitting listening to this doctor.
Speaker 1: But I came home and told Sam about it, and he's like, oh, there's absolutely nothing in the world that would get me to do that, Like nothing.
Speaker 3: See, I've had it done too. I hadn't done Yeah. So when I the first time I went into hospital, like I went into emergency, which ended up being the day I was diagnosed with their mess. I woke up and was completely numbed on my right side and that was one of the tests that they did. So they put me on my side and the doctor did all that stuff, and then she had a nurse that had to stand there just I guess they have to do that like from a like a safety point of view, to make sure that the doctor doesn't do anything they shouldn't, so they have Yeah, they had a nurse standing there while she did it.
Speaker 4: And it's so weird because you just.
Speaker 3: Like flat out and I couldn't feel anything at this point, so I had no idea what they were doing because I couldn't feel it. But it's, yeah, it's a weird thing to have such people your bum Yes it is.
Speaker 1: Because she's like, I'm just gotta look at it, like, so they look at it. So I just was like just and just and before she started, I'm like, how long does this take? She's like it'll be five minutes. I'm like, okay, I can get through five minutes.
Speaker 4: I can do this.
Speaker 1: But it's as I'm laying there, I'm like, what we are going through with different things just to try and get like three percent better.
Speaker 4: Seriously, but you yeah, you'll try anything.
Speaker 2: You will try anything.
Speaker 1: Every fortnight, we're doing a podcast and we said we'd love to hear from you because we know so many of you are suffering, and so many of us as silent sufferers, so other people can't see what's going on, which makes it even more challenging.
Speaker 2: But we said, hit us up.
Speaker 1: If you've got any questions or you want to share anything, please get in touch and you can do that via our Instagram, which is Shaw and Tel Podcasts. Anyway, what I'm thrilled with and I would love you guys to do, is send us voice memos.
Speaker 4: You do this, yes, so great.
Speaker 1: So her name's Olivia and she sends us a message and I thought i'd play it for you.
Speaker 5: Hey, Manti and Brooke, this is Olivia. I live with chronic arthritis. I'm about to turn forty and I've pretty much always worked in advertising. My career has always been the biggest part of my life and it's a huge part of my identity. But sadly I've made the decision that I am going to have to resign. It's just not an option for me at the moment to keep working full time and be a mom while battling this pain. I'm still deciding what I'll do next, and I really do think it is the right decision for me. But I just wanted to ask you both if your career has been affected by your health issues and how you've navigated it. Thanks, guys, I absolutely love this podcast. It means more to me than you guys would know. And yeah, I look forward to you from you.
Speaker 2: That's so lovely.
Speaker 3: Well, it's so beautiful. Thank you, Olivia. Yes, it's a tough one. Do you want to start or do you want me to start?
Speaker 2: You go? You go ahead.
Speaker 3: I really feel you with this, Olivia, because this has totally been my situation. So I have always been quite I want say ambitious, but it feels like it's a dirty word.
Speaker 4: It's ambitious.
Speaker 1: We need to own that word because it comes down is you and I am happy and ambitious.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Like I've always known I wanted to be a journalist, and I have, you know, moved wherever I've had to make that happen, and have worked really hard making that happen and loved my job. I've always loved my work, but then when I was diagnosed with MS, it just became increasingly harder and harder, and there was a lot of hospital stays. In the first year or so, probably like every second month or so, I was in hospital and that becomes really tricky. But I still with all this going on, and you know, getting into hospital and then being like you know, cause usually you find out like the day before or you need to go in and it could be three days, it could be five.
Speaker 4: You just don't know.
Speaker 3: And you know, I get into the hospital room and try and like cancel all my meetings and do all the things, and it's.
Speaker 2: Stressful, right, so stressful.
Speaker 3: And my husband James had said, should you have a think about if this is the right thing right now? And in my mind I was like, there's no way I'm ever going to resign, Like I'm just not.
Speaker 4: And then I was huge too.
Speaker 1: So you were at nine dot com dot a year and you were like a big wig there. I was managing editor there and I loved it.
Speaker 3: I went to an appoint with my GP and she gave me a really firm talking to, like the really like what are you thinking?
Speaker 4: Like what are you doing?
Speaker 3: What is more important than your health and your family, because if they needed to, they would cut you, and they wouldn't, you know, think twice about it.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's really just kind of maybe it was the timing. I don't know what it was, but I literally walked from her office to my car, rang my husband and said, Hey, I think I'm going to resign.
Speaker 4: And it was so scary to do it.
Speaker 3: And my like nine had been incredible, like so amazing and good to me, and my manager, Kerrey is like just an angel.
Speaker 4: She was amazing.
Speaker 3: But I kept waiting for that feeling of.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, who am I without my career?
Speaker 3: What am I going to do all of that? And it just never happened.
Speaker 2: I know, I was shocked. After I spoke to you, You're.
Speaker 1: Like, I'm loving not working, and I was surprised because you've ever since you could work, you were working. I was like wow, because I was nervous. I was like, oh, you're going to fall in a heap if you're not doing anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I definitely still need to be busy, but I think, you know, and it's so individual for everyone's so I'm not saying Olivia, go quit your job and you'll be much happier. But I'm definitely what I guess I am saying is I think there are silver linings to situations like this, to shitty situations, and slowing down and being able to do pick up and drop off has been so great for me and for my daughters, and I think a lot of it is about pivoting. Right, So, Olivia, you're in marketing, I'm sure there are things that you can do from home that maybe you haven't had to kind of entertain the idea of before, or maybe like you want to go and have a whole new career change and like maybe this is an opportunity for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's sometimes when you are in our situation, pivoting is the exact word, because it's like, I do want to do something. I can't work full time, so what is it.
Speaker 2: That I can do?
Speaker 1: And luckily for me, my contract had finished and didn't get renewed, and it was after that my health took a bigger turn where it became unmanageable and I'm like, there's just no way I could work, which is also for some people terribly stressful because of the financial situation where for us. We had to strip back hugely because we were always a double income family, so we have had to make adjustments. But it all I also don't have to work. But I have pivoted, Like I'm like, okay, I'm going to do a celebrance course because I'm comfortable in front of people. I can do weddings. I'm nervous to do that because my health is still under not under control, and I'm like, I can't book in a couple and then go, oh.
Speaker 4: Guys, sorry, I've got a my grain.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's like we've ramped up this podcast because we can do it when it works for us, and if we have to cancel, that's okay. But I reckonhands down. It is pivoting a huge part. The first year that I finished doing radio, I always look back now and I realized I wasn't in a good place because a huge part of my identity and self worse was in my job. Like I took pride in when people like, what do you do, I'm and I would go, I'm a radio announcer, even though they'd give zero shits because radio is like the oldest, daggiest medium of all time. But I felt proud of that because it wasn't a normal job either, so some people would be like, oh, that's you know, that's cool, and I would get confidence and give you a bit of an ego boost totally, and I was really driven by my ego and I still am to a huge extent.
Speaker 4: But I think it's just so vain.
Speaker 1: I'm so every time I'm like, I'm Monti guars I was on the radio whenever I meet anyone. But I do still find that when people say, you know, and people ask a lot what do you do with yourself? I still two years on go oh my background was radio and now I'm podcasting. It's like I still need.
Speaker 2: To drop in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you need to justify it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even though I'm home most of the time with the kids or trying to get by with my health, I still feel like I need to justify like I did have this career.
Speaker 2: I'm not just at home doing nothing. It's so weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's crazy, And to be honest, I was exactly the same for the first couple of years. When people would ask me that question, I'd say, oh, well, I was at nine, and I'm like, I'm saying it's like a year or a year and a half later, and I'm like, oh my god, You've got to stop it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: People don't like you because of where you work, like totally, you know, it means nothing. And so I'm only just comfortable now And people say, what do you do? Just saying I work from home, I do this and this, and you know, and I'm fine with that. Now do you feel fine with that now?
Speaker 1: I feel more comfortable with it now. Also, I think because my health kicked up a gear, I just had to surrender to the fact that even if I was offered something, I wouldn't be able to take it. Yeah, So it was like I just felt a relief in going I don't want to be accountable to people and let people down, and I couldn't do that at the moment. So I fear a sense of relief in there. But I do completely get the identity thing, but I do think it is pivoting and I just think being in like hearing Olivia, I go.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 1: I don't know what it would be like to live with chronic pain, like because mine comes in and out, like my fatigue is always there, but my migraines come in bursts, and so I just think that for me to go, oh, pivot, maybe isn't necessarily her situation when you're in full time pain, do you know what I mean? Because it's so different for everyone exactly.
Speaker 3: I do think as well, like when you're hand at a diagnosis like what Olivia has, or you and I or whoever you know is listening, it can sometimes and it certainly been the case for me that it does make you look at your life and it does change your priorities. Because I think a big part in me accepting that I'm not going to be this career person I thought I was is like I'm okay with that because I just want peace, do you know what I mean? What I mean like, I just want everyone around me and my family and myself to be happy and healthy, and I want there to be peace. So yeah, I do think maybe sometimes, you know, having that as the ultimate goal can be a.
Speaker 2: Bit of a I don't know, a bit of an overrider.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's so good.
Speaker 2: All right, Well let's get out of here for today.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for listening, and we really would love to hear from you. You can just write us a message if you want, or you can send us a little voice memo and we'll play it, and you don't have to share your name if you don't feel comfortable. But the reason we're doing this pod is so you feel less alone, or maybe you want to share it with a family member to go well, this is kind of how I feel, because sometimes it's really hard with close family and friends for them to truly get it.
Speaker 2: So hopefully this helps you in some way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you, thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: Bye for now, Bye,