Speaker 1: Lately.
Speaker 2: Welcome late, what it's great to have your company.
Speaker 3: I'm James macpherson with Liz Staurer and Caleb Bond. Coming up a little later, one of those only in America stories. Get this, people in San Francisco who are homeless will be given taxpayer funded vodka shots as a way of improving their health.
Speaker 4: Get me to sand friends.
Speaker 1: It's going to be homeless.
Speaker 2: It's a good time to be I'm not joking. That's real news. We'll talk about that a little later.
Speaker 3: Plus, when we get to the papers, Anthony Albanesi reveals his timetable for the next election, and the Adelaide Advertiser reckons they've found South Australia's most unlucky woman. I thought that was the woman who failed to date you, Caleb.
Speaker 5: There's quite a few of them, kidding a few of them.
Speaker 3: Apparently they've found a lady who's gone for five hundred job interviews, all without success.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about what.
Speaker 3: That means for unimp deployment a little later, but first, you might have expected the death of Iran's president in a helicopter to be welcome news.
Speaker 2: I mean, he was, after all, known as.
Speaker 3: The butcher of Tehran, and yet such as the moral fog now enveloping the West his death, this murderous tyrant was actually mourned by the United Nations, no less by the BBC and even on the floor of the US Senate. President Imrahem Razi was responsible for the imprisonment and execution of tens of thousands of political opponents. More recently, he was responsible for a violent crackdown on women and girls whose only crime was not wanting to wear the Islamic hijab. He oversaw Iran's nuclear weapons program, of course, which was aimed at the destruction of Israel. And speaking of Israel, he was responsible recently for that massive missile and drone attack, the largest drone attack in history, launched again against Israel. It wasn't exactly Mother Teresa. Heck, he wasn't even George Floyd. And yet the United Nations Security Council had everybody stand to their feet and observe a moment of silence to mourn his passing. Little wonder, the Israeli ambassador to the United Nations was less than impressed.
Speaker 6: The UN Security Council dedicated a moment of silence in memory of the mass murdering president of Iran RACI. What a disgrace This Council, which has taken no real steps to advance the release of our hostages, abowed its head for a man responsible for massacring and murdering thousands in Iran, in Israel and around the globe. What's next? Will the Council dedicate a moment of silence to commemorate Hitler? The Security Council has become a threat to global peace and security.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: Those who stood to mourn the passing of the Iranian president included America's ambassador to the United Nations. When Matt Miller, the US State Department spokesman, was asked why did the US representative stand, he said, and I quote some of the worst human rights abuses occurred during his tenure as president, especially the human rights abuses against the women and girls of Iran. That said, we regret any loss of life. We don't want to see anyone die in a helicopter crowd.
Speaker 2: And I guess the big mistake.
Speaker 7: Mate, I've got a list of names that would have crammed aboard had I known the thing was going to go down. What is this talk pretending like all lives are equal, and we'd hate to be seen to rejoice over a set the loss of some lives are an absolute service to humanity.
Speaker 1: Do me a favor.
Speaker 2: Hitler shouldn't have shot himself in the head.
Speaker 3: He should have gone down in a helicopter and history would have been very different.
Speaker 7: Look.
Speaker 5: Look, shortly after they had Osama bin Laden killed, they should have all come out and said.
Speaker 4: Oh, we're very sorry we had to do that. You know, loss of life. We don't like it. It is utterly.
Speaker 5: Absurd and like the comparison to Hitler is a stark one, but it's so true. I mean, this bloke was a murderous, dictatorial thug going all the way back to the eighties, his involvement in the killing of political dissidence for all those decades, and that anyone in any Western nation, let alone any other part of the world, would stand up at the moment and dedicate a moment silence or talk about how sorry they are for the people who around him.
Speaker 4: And even NATO got in honor.
Speaker 5: They said, this is the NATO spokesperson Farah Dakkala, our condolences to the people of Iran for the death of President Raci. Foreign Minister Amir Abdolihan and others who perished in the helicopter crash.
Speaker 7: How many times do I have to tell you NATO are the original bad guys since nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 1: None of you ever agree with me.
Speaker 7: But when they start showing their colors like that, you're like, oh, wait a.
Speaker 1: Minute, maybe they're no better than the UN.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 5: But but Iran and NATO were on different sides of the Ukraine Russia War.
Speaker 4: But we were not going to open I'm not.
Speaker 1: I'm simply saying.
Speaker 7: We're not going to open that CAD.
Speaker 5: I understand, I understand, And even the US Senate, for Heaven's sake, I mean, their chaplain got up and spoke about you know, we're so sorry for the loss of life. I'm expecting this treatment when I cart it.
Speaker 8: And Lord, we pray for the Iranian people who mourn the death of their president. We pray in your loving name.
Speaker 5: Actually, I think in Iran it's going something more like this. And of course they'd be happy to see the bloat dead, the subjugation of women, the killing of people who disagreed with him. Why would anyone celebrate? I was going to say, celebrate the death. Everyone should be celebrating the death. Why would anyone commemorate the death of a man like that. It reminds me of when Fidel Castro finally carct it and you had all these lefties coming out and oh, it's so sad. What a terrible moment for Cuba, What a terrible moment for the world. You know, the man that caused eighty thousand Cubans to flee on boats, most of whom died at sea, Who put gays in internment camps, who kept Cuba behind for so long, to the point where they're still driving around in nineteen fifties cars because there's nothing else they can get around in, where there's internet censorship.
Speaker 4: On and on it goes.
Speaker 5: These people get lionized. I do not cry for one moment for the fact that the president of Iran is dead, or any other dictatorial thug in the world.
Speaker 4: They should all be popped off.
Speaker 7: The only people who are genuinely mourning his passing are the friends and family of the people the innocence he murdered, who were in fact holding out hope that one day he would face some sort of justice for the crimes against humanity that he perpetuated on their nearest and dearest. But get this from the BBC world. These guys call themselves the world's most trusted international news broadcaster.
Speaker 1: Get their headline.
Speaker 7: They say, President Ibrahim Racey's mixed legacy in Iran?
Speaker 1: What the heck is mixed about it?
Speaker 7: The murder part, the right part, the mass executions part. I mean, in order for it to be mixed, there's got to be some good in there somewhere, right, What the heck about it is a mixed BBC. Well, thank god for Community Notes, which was slapped on their tweet version of that headline, which quickly made sure everyone knew that Ibrahim races Name was the butcher of Tehran as a result of his mass murder and brutal torture of political dissidence, his victims, numbering in the thousands, included children. Once again, thank you to Elon Musk for his platform X where we can actually let people know the truth of the matter. This is literally like saying Stalin's mixed legacy in Russia.
Speaker 1: Find me one Russian who likes the guy.
Speaker 7: And let's keep in mind when we talk about the tens of thousands of political dissidents that this guy oft. They were simply disagreeing with the radical Islamic regime that is in place iron clad in that country. Like you said, Mac, all you have to do is not where you're head covering properly, and that's your life gone.
Speaker 3: Talking about the Iranian president's mixed legacy, it's like describing Idio min as a colorful character.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's the sort of language.
Speaker 5: Give my dear. Yes, I know, I know you think of the Iran of like the nineteen sixties versus the Iran of Todship and how much it has changed and what people like him did to drive that change.
Speaker 4: The fact that anyone.
Speaker 5: In the West would mourn his death is an absolute disgrace. Let's come back to Australia now, where, of course, we've been talking a febit recently about the Safety Commissioner Julie Inman Grant. After first she went after a bloke on X of course, formerly Twitter goes by the screen name of Billboard Chris, who dared to make some criticism of the UN for a transgender person it had employed to advise it on health. This person, meanwhile, I'd been posting on Instagram about bestiality and all sorts of things. And then of course she went after X again for allowing videos to be posted of Bishop mah Mai am Manuel being stabbed at his church about a month ago. Of course, in the first instance they won that case in court. There was an injunction put in place where those videos had to be covered up. Last week that was changed and thank goodness. But it turns out the E Safety Commissioner, apart from running around telling people on the other side of the world what they should and should not be able to post on X for people to view in Australia, she's also monitoring absolutely everything that.
Speaker 4: You say about her.
Speaker 5: Now, look, it's not unusual for organizations, media organizations, government departments to have what we call media monitoring where they people sit there and listen to the radio and go through newspapers and look for mentions of government departments. But they have contracted someone. The E Safety Commissioner has contracted someone to go through every single tweet that is posted with Julie Inman Grant tagged or mentioned in it.
Speaker 4: They are not just tweet So if.
Speaker 7: You write on Facebook about her, so any of the meta platforms, Instagram, even Reddit. This is literally even if you have a private blog that mentions her that's what meltwater this contractor that they've got to do this. So it's not just X, it's every platform on social media.
Speaker 1: She wants to know what you've said.
Speaker 5: They're going through all of it, right, they want to know what you're saying about her, when you're saying it, why you're saying it. And they've even gone down The allegation is they've gone down to the minutia of the people who have been posting it. This is a story, by the way, from an independent journalist in Wa, Rebecca Barnett. She sent off an FOI request to find out whether these reports existed, and of course they came back and she has since written an article about it, which went up today on.
Speaker 4: Her substack blog.
Speaker 5: But she has spoken to a bloke who was putting stuff on Twitter about Billboard Chris when the e Safety Commissioner was going after him, and he's got evidence that the E Safety Communite, well know, probably not Julian mcgrand herself, but staff of the Safety Commissioner had gone and had a look at his wife's LinkedIn Because of course, when you get and have a look at someone's LinkedIn, it sends them a little email to say that they've looked.
Speaker 4: At your profile.
Speaker 5: So they are that concerned that they are going into the minutii of the family of people who criticize the E Safety Commissioner online. That is how much they care. So you know they'll probably have an injunction against them very soon as well. You can't say anything at all anywhere.
Speaker 3: According to the FOI request, she's getting three to four reports every day containing between seventy and eight thousand mentions anywhere on social media. You talk about people being obsessed with social media. With the E Safety Karen, she's very concerned to know what everybody thinks about her and tweets even that we're viewed by just two people, and yet she is personally notified who's saying nasty things about her. I think the solution to this, Liz, is we should bury her in data.
Speaker 2: We should he mention anything.
Speaker 3: On Facebook, on Twitter, just include her tag in it, so that she's just inundated with so much information it becomes useless.
Speaker 1: She's got to be.
Speaker 7: The most sensitive authoritarian ever. This woman's got thinner skin than he for a rog I mean, he literally lays out the numbers. On the fifteenth of April, which was the day of the stabbing, two hundred and thirty nine mentions, that's all she had online, Not many people, not much action. Less than ten days later, on the twenty fourth of April, there was over thirty one thousand mentions. So whoever's doing that job at e Safety now going through these massive reports of who said what about the East Safety Commissioner today, they're probably gonna need to onboard more staff. And of course there's not many nice comments, is there, because Australians like never before, are now aware that this woman exists, that our government has foisted onto us, this net nanny that.
Speaker 1: Nobody voted for, nobody wanted.
Speaker 7: Who's just silently censoring what Australians Kennon can't see and ken And can't say.
Speaker 1: That is her job.
Speaker 7: And it turns out she's doing a brilliant job, except when she gets herself international attention like this because her overreach is so unhinged, not a single soul in Australa is like, yeah, back your Julian mngrant could call on the whole stabbing video thing. No, everyone's just like you're ridiculous. I mean, there were even people on ABC's Q and A who I mean, must be a cold day in hell. We don't agree on much. I'm sure we can all agree on that who were questioning the wisdom of how far this woman had gone to censor something that literally was not worth the censorship. But get this, as this affidavit has come out telling everyone about what melt water is doing. By the way, how much is that costing the taxpayer, we find out something else is costing the taxpayer because then E Safety has gone all these nasty comments online.
Speaker 1: The East Safety Commissioner isn't safe.
Speaker 7: They've got the AFP involved, the New South Wales Police Force involved.
Speaker 1: Again, thanks taxpayer.
Speaker 7: All for this woman that again nobody wanted.
Speaker 1: Everyone hates her job. We all agree she shouldn't even exist, not her personally, but the job, the role. Okay, let's be careful about that.
Speaker 7: But how are Australians supposed to feel knowing that every word we say about this very sensitive authoritarian woman is being collated, studied, presented several times a day.
Speaker 1: I mean, A, it's self obsessed and B what are you trying to do? They've told the public it's to monitor public sentiment.
Speaker 7: Well, I hope you're taking notes, because it sounds like.
Speaker 1: You're getting plenty of it.
Speaker 3: Initially means every Australian now who's said anything untoward about the e Safety Commissioner, who has already shown her propensity for censorship, you're.
Speaker 2: Now on a list and do the math.
Speaker 3: At the same time, the government are pushing through their digital identity, so I wonder if they'll connect the digital identity with any social media violations you may have made against the Safety Commissioner and sort of put those together.
Speaker 5: Traditionally, if you wanted to work out public sentiment, you just get a polling company to go and do a poll and they'd come back to in a couple of weeks and they tell you what the public sentiment was, right, Like, I'm happy to be corrected, but I'm pretty sure there's no one in the Prime Minister's private office who receives a report every single day of every single social media post that has been made about the Prime minister.
Speaker 2: Well the Prime minister does monitor?
Speaker 4: Mean yes, well, well he lets him. That's just him doing it.
Speaker 5: Does that's him doing it personally, I assume, But not when he's in the back of cars because remember he doesn't.
Speaker 2: Have access time.
Speaker 5: Oh but media monitoring is normal. They monitor what's said on radio, any newspapers. But I don't think that there would be a politician in the country who is having a report brought to them every day on every that he said about them on social media. It takes media monitoring to a whole new level.
Speaker 7: Speaking of a whole new level, Victorians, you might want to start building molts around your property because today your premiere to Center Allen decided to say that we're not even ruling out giving compulsorily acquired land to this whole Indigenous groups treaty settlement that they're working on in the state of Victoria.
Speaker 1: We'd asked today if she would rule this out.
Speaker 7: She said, after two hundred years of colonization, where this state took away lands in the settlement, murdered people and took away culture.
Speaker 1: And language, we are not going to be ruling out anything in or out.
Speaker 7: As we go to the negotiation table in regards to treaty. She said she wouldn't even rule out dedicating seats in the Victorian Parliament to Indigenous people.
Speaker 1: So when they say everything's.
Speaker 7: On the table, literally mean everything is on the table, Like, why shouldn't every single Victorian beyond tenter hooks after this Because they're not mincing their words when they say everything's on the table.
Speaker 1: It appears the Premier very much means absolutely everything.
Speaker 3: I should point out it wasn't the Premier who said that, it was the Treaty Minister Natalie Hutchins speaking on behalf of the premier. But I reckonize, well, if they're going to compulsorily acquire property and hand it over to the Indigenous people in Victoria, well you would start with Jacinta Ellen's home, followed by the Deputy Premier Ben Carroll, maybe Dan Andrews's place. We could repossess that Manik Bryan is in Victoria. I'm sure she'd be happy to hand over her property. I mean, this is just unbelievable. You've got one percent of Victoria are Indigenous people.
Speaker 2: There's zero mandate for this, and for the.
Speaker 3: Government to be negotiating a treaty on behalf of Victorian's but refusing to rule anything in or out and making incendiary comments like that after two hundred years of colonization and murder and dispossession and well, everything's on the table. I mean, you would be mad if you were John Pascito, you would be mad not to make this the key cornerstone of your campaign at the next election.
Speaker 1: But he is mad.
Speaker 4: We're no way you do that to hope.
Speaker 2: Well he should.
Speaker 5: You'd want to hope the table isn't a trestle table, because there's a lot of bloody weight on top of that table right now. I mean, how hard is it to simply rule out that you would just hold us bowl as hand land over to.
Speaker 4: Indigenous people, like you could say.
Speaker 5: Look, it may well be a discussion in the future that through Native title there are certain lands that are handled, but that's out of the control of the SAD government.
Speaker 4: How hard is it to say, no, we're not going.
Speaker 5: To have dedicated seats in Parliament on the basis of race, and no, we're not going to hand land to certain people on the basis of race.
Speaker 4: It ain't hard to say it, though it is.
Speaker 5: It was funny to note that Miss Hutchins, when she was asked this question about whether or not there would be dedicated seats for Indigenous people, she said, look, you know, it's nothing in all out, but the sentiment I get from indigenous people is that Parliament is a quote unquote aggressive place and they don't really want to be here anyway, by which she's saying, we're probably.
Speaker 4: Not going to give them the seats.
Speaker 5: But how funny is that she's buying into this idea, Oh, you know, this is this terrible white colonial place. They don't even want to come and engage with us. Well, they don't want to come and engage. And my understanding of a treaty is that it is an agreement between two peoples who then say that, you know, we've sorted all the problems out and from here on we carry on as one. That's what a treaty is meant to be about. That's not what they're talking about here. What they're talking about is furthering the division, which surely is as far away from what a treaty ought to be.
Speaker 3: So what's going on with the Victorian government because either they literally do not know what a treaty is going to look like, which is frightening that they would don't think they do headlong into this thing with no idea what they're going to end up with. I mean, that's the worst kind of leadership you can imagine or on the other hand, have they got something in mind but they don't want to upset either Indigenous people or the rest of the community.
Speaker 2: What games are they playing here now?
Speaker 1: I don't think they do have any idea.
Speaker 7: They're trying to figure out what will appease.
Speaker 1: Because they're the ones who have put together.
Speaker 7: There's about twelve Indigenous people involved here.
Speaker 1: So they're the ones. They're actually smarter than some states.
Speaker 7: Queensland was talking about making a treaty with each different tribe and there's tens and tens of different tribes in Queensland, whereas at least Victoria's going, no, no, we're going to statewide approach.
Speaker 1: We're just going to get a.
Speaker 7: Group of about a dozen Indigenous Aussies together.
Speaker 1: You guys, at the end of.
Speaker 7: This process, this path to treaty, will have an idea of what that looks like. But the unfairness that this foists on the taxpayer is just indescribable. This idea of collective guilt where we now collectively owe millions upon millions of dollars.
Speaker 1: That's what this equals.
Speaker 7: Whether it's land, whether it's reparations, whatever form those reparations take, it's going to be very, very expensive, and people are paying this out having absolutely nothing to do with what happened two hundred years ago.
Speaker 1: And then, if you want.
Speaker 7: To follow that line of argument, how about people whose ancestors fought for the indigenous cause and have done for years, for decades and decades.
Speaker 1: Why are they being made to payout?
Speaker 5: And immigrants have only rocked up in the last like fifty years or so, what's it got to do with them?
Speaker 4: They were involved in it.
Speaker 7: It's parentally unfair and there is absolutely no end to this because ten years from now, twenty years from now, this same body of people can still be like, well, we would have been better off if you guys had never come, and so what more reparations?
Speaker 1: It just never ever ends.
Speaker 3: And let's not forget it was only three minutes ago that sixty percent of Australians voted no to the Voice, which most people well understood was also connected intrinsically to treaty. Let's go to the Middle East, where the world's response to events there gets increasingly ridiculous. News today that the Chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court is seeking arrest warrants for Benjamin nettin Yahoo and his Defense minister now Joe Biden has described this move as outrageous. But our Prime Minister Anthony Albanezi, well, he says he can't possibly comment on an issue before the court. Let's go through all of those reactions. We'll start with Karim Kahan. He's the chief prosecutor at the ICC. Here's what he had to say in announcing his request for these arrest warrants.
Speaker 9: The crimes include starvation of civilians as a method of warfare, willfully causing great suffering, serious injury to body or health, or cruel treatment, will feel killing or murder, and intentionally directing attacks against a civilian population, as well as crimes against humanity of extermination and or murder.
Speaker 3: Ji'd think it was Israel who launched an attack on October seven. I might point out those two characters in the background. They stood there like that for fully ten minutes without changing expression. Very serious, is Israeli Prime Minister there, they are, very somber. Benjaminette Nyahu, the Israeli President, he was his response.
Speaker 10: The outrageous decision by the ICC prosecutor Karim Khan to seek arrest warrants against the democratically elected leaders of Israel is a moral outrage of historic proportions. It will cast an everlasting mark of shame on the International Court. Mister Khank creates a twisted and false moral equivalence between the leaders of Israel and the henchmen of Kramas. This is like creating a moral equivalents after September eleventh between President Bush and Osama bin Laden, or during World War Two between FDR and Hitler. What a travesty of justice, What a disgrace.
Speaker 3: That's a prime minister of Israel. Lizzy's absolutely right, isn't it? To put Hamas and the leadership of the only democracy in the Middle East on the same footing and accuse both of war crimes is so ridiculous.
Speaker 2: It would be funny if it wasn't so serious.
Speaker 7: But nobody expects anything different from these guys. I mean, it's the ICC, so they've got their South Africa's case against Israel, being like, these guys are just genosidol maniacts. They've entertained all of this, and these guys are.
Speaker 1: The International Criminal Court. This is supposed to where you take.
Speaker 7: These claims and instead of throwing them out, they are the ones who are entertaining it.
Speaker 1: They are the.
Speaker 7: Ones who are stupid enough to put that guy in front of a camera. Give it that kind of merit and wait, instead of saying this is an absolute in embarrassment, we cannot be seen to say this, and would you believe it? Of all the people in the world, President Joe Biden was able to read the teleprompter for long enough to back Net and Yahoo to the hilt.
Speaker 11: Today, let me be clear, we reject the ICC's application for rest warrants against aswell as leading. When one of these warrants may imply there is no equivalence between Israel and Hamas, and it's clear to all do all it can to ensure civilian protection. But let me be clear, contrary to allegations against Israel made by the International Court of Justice, what's happening is not genocide.
Speaker 2: We reject that. We will always stand with Israel.
Speaker 7: Now compare the pair, because it's a very dark day. Indeed, my friends, when our own prime minister is shown up by that senile old man and check it out, you're.
Speaker 12: Pretan Joe Biden seeing your restlance on Israelas is outrageous.
Speaker 3: You agree, well, I don't comment on court processes in Australia, let alone court processes globally, which Australia is not a party.
Speaker 1: You agree with, Jim, I.
Speaker 2: Just answered the same question.
Speaker 7: I just I just dodged that question. Please don't repeat it. Do me a favor. We all know who side you're ron. How easy is it to go? Yes, it's outrageous. Ditto that well, Thank God for Peter Dutton being our Prime Minister today because heaven knows, otherwise we wouldn't have one here.
Speaker 1: He was stepping in to fill the breach. Yet again, I.
Speaker 13: Very strongly support to the comments of Joe Biden today in relation to the ICC. It's an abomination and it needs to be ceased. This action is anti Semitic and it is against the self peace in the Middle East. Either the prominise is not across the detail, or he's trying to please a domestic audience here for political purposes. Either way, he's selling out Australia and that is not helping our interests internationally. And to draw an equivalence between Israel and Amas, I think is repugnant.
Speaker 14: There you go, Albert Easy, that's what you should have said. That is how it's done. I hope you're home taking notes, but of course you're not. I mean, this has got to take the cake.
Speaker 7: I know that we've beat Albanezi up over his limp wristed, utterly pathetic, yellow bellied stance on this entire war from beginning to end. But today when he could not even.
Speaker 1: Say, yes, this is a joke, I YEA.
Speaker 7: Comprehensively condemn this move by the ICC would have taken him a few seconds to say. Instead he says, oh, I don't comment on international court cases.
Speaker 1: That's funny because just today and yesterday you were.
Speaker 7: Commenting on the international court case surrounding Julian Assange.
Speaker 5: So it's pathetic. It's just absolutely pathetic. But then presumably at some point Penny Wong has to make some kind of comment as Foreign Minister on this right, like the government cannot at any point refuse to make a comment.
Speaker 4: So when I think he just shd.
Speaker 2: Well, she actually has.
Speaker 3: Tonight she's made a comment in support of the International Criminal Court saying that the Australian government supports and recognizes their independence.
Speaker 4: So there you go.
Speaker 5: So the Prime Minister, on one hand says we can't get involved because this is a court proceeding overseas and therefore it's out of my jurisdiction. And then the Foreign Minister comes out and says we support it. Now, of course that's not the answer we would have preferred her to give.
Speaker 4: But which one is true? We don't get involved, you know, we do get we.
Speaker 3: Know, we have a silly thing about this, like I can't comment on an issue before a court, it's not a real court. And we don't make our own foreign policy subservient to some globalist body that's essentially a bureaucracy with no real teeth or bite. And suddenly we're not allowed as Australians to know what our own government thinks because of a court in where they based in Europe somewhere.
Speaker 7: Oh, they call themselves an independent body, right, But the ICC came about because of one of the useless treaties of the UN, which are also pathetic and toothless. So now the ICC exists at the behest of the UN, but they're.
Speaker 1: Not the UN.
Speaker 3: Did you see Alexander Downer's comments today, because he was the Foreign Minister when Australia joined the treaty that made a subject to the ICC, and he described it as a moment of intense idealism, and he now regrets that he ever signed Australia up to this.
Speaker 5: Look, it's basically like an arbitration commission essentially. But you know, we're putting out a warrant for a rest and give me a break.
Speaker 4: Karim Kahan.
Speaker 5: I don't know whether there's any of it, but he probably gave a minute silence to the former president of Iran before.
Speaker 4: He gave his speech.
Speaker 5: That's the sort of people we're dealing with here. Let's move back to Australia now, where of course we've talked about Snowy Hydro two point oh a little bit recently, and the fact that this thing is probably never going to get off the ground, the fact that it keeps costing billions and billions of dollars more, the fact that the boring machine that of course last year got stuck, which meant they couldn't keep digging the hole to build this thing. They finally got the thing unstuck towards the start of the year.
Speaker 4: It kept going for a few months, and lo and.
Speaker 5: Behold, by the start of March, sorry Sat of May, it was stuck again. Things are going swimmingly over at Snowy Hydro two point Oh, thank you Malcolm Turnbull for the expense.
Speaker 4: But and I know what a great legacy.
Speaker 5: Author Alan Lawrenson, he's recently written a book about Australia's energy mix and the energy crisis that we are walking into. And he had a stark rebel this morning on ben Fordham's breakfast program on two GP. What about snowy two.
Speaker 12: I don't think snowy too will ever generate omega watt of power?
Speaker 2: Excuse me, I.
Speaker 12: Don't think it will ever generate power.
Speaker 2: Do you know how much it's costing?
Speaker 12: US thirteen billion is the latest estimate.
Speaker 8: Florence doesn't seem to be moving.
Speaker 12: Let's face it, Florence a slow on, slow on moving.
Speaker 4: You don't think Snowy too will produce power.
Speaker 12: That's my personal view. And by the way, recently I was at a conference and I discussed with a number of energy experts and I wasn't alone in that assessment.
Speaker 5: G were do him well, aren't we not a single millawat? And he's not the only one who thinks that we are going to Helen.
Speaker 3: The only thing Snowy two point zero is pumping is taxpayer dollars down the toilet. This thing was announced in twenty seventeen. It was meant to be two billion dollars. The cost has been adjusted up five times. It's now thirteen billion. It was meant to be completed in four years, but the completion date has been changed six times. It's now hopefully completed by twenty twenty eight. The Florence, the boring machine that was mentioned and that you spoke about, Caleb, it's moved eight hundred meters in the last twelve months. The good news is it's only got sixteen kilometers to go, so it's looking good.
Speaker 7: Hang in there, guys, we are going to see a return on this investment or in twenty twenty eight. Just hold on to your hats. It's got to be marvelous. It's got to be worth it.
Speaker 1: Well to the Netherlands.
Speaker 7: Now very sad story. We're a young woman who's not yet thirty has decided that she would like to access assisted suicide because she struggles with anxiety. Here's a grab of her letting us all know about her decision. Hello, Madame Chelia, and I'm twenty eight years of all.
Speaker 1: I live in an.
Speaker 8: Avalance and recently my you tunicha regress for my mental suffering got approved.
Speaker 7: And they say the slippery slope doesn't exist. How many times have we been told that. Here's a quote from her. Also, she says, in the three and a half years this has taken, I e the approval. I've never hesitated about my decision.
Speaker 1: I have felt guilts.
Speaker 7: I have a partner, family, friends, and I'm not blind to their pain, and I've felt scared, but I'm absolutely determined to go through with it.
Speaker 1: They'll start me by giving a sedative.
Speaker 7: Won't give me the drugs that will stop my heart until I'm in a coma.
Speaker 1: For me, it will be like falling asleep. My partner will be.
Speaker 7: There, but I've told him it's okay if he needs to leave the room.
Speaker 1: Now the points come, we're ready for it, and we're.
Speaker 7: Finding a certain piece. I feel guilty too, but sometimes when you love someone, you have to let them go. So governments around the world spend millions of dollars in suicide prevention, but here we have the Dutch government allowing a woman who simply struggles with anxiety, as so many people do, simply saying, oh, you think it's time to go.
Speaker 1: Well, will help you out too.
Speaker 7: And this is what I've always said about euthanasia. Once assisted suicide, that's what it really is. What the heck even is the word euthanasia. This is what is the pinch point of assisted suicide. Once you agree that death is a applicable out for suffering, you can't then quantify the suffering or say only physical, only mental, only this combination only emotional.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 7: If you've labeled this out as compassionate and a dignified death, it should be allowed to everyone. Well.
Speaker 3: Now, five percent of all deaths in the Netherlands are a result of assisted suicide five percent, nine thousand and sixty eight people last year.
Speaker 2: Interestingly, in twenty ten, there were only.
Speaker 3: Two cases where someone was euthanized because of mental illness. Last year, one hundred and thirty eight people with mental illness were assisted to die by the government. And the other interesting thing in the Netherlands is this phenomena of what they're calling duo deaths, where a husband and wife decide to die together at the hand of the state. A former Dutch PM and his wife were euthanized earlier this year. In twenty twenty, there were twenty six couples in twenty twenty one, thirty two couples, in twenty twenty two, fifty eight couples.
Speaker 2: The slippery slope is real with all of these things.
Speaker 5: I mean, she had depression, anxiety and an a personality disorder, and she decided that it was untreatable.
Speaker 4: She tried treatable. I don't think it's untreatable. We cannot give up the.
Speaker 5: Easy road, of course, to go down to say well, you can just go and have yourself knocked off, But I don't think that's the reality. Very quickly, before we get to the break, another reason today never to get rid of cash. Of course, millions of customers at the am Z couldn't log into their app as if you needed another reminder, they just keep coming up.
Speaker 2: On that note.
Speaker 3: We're going to go to a break, but stick around when we get back. We look at what's making news in the papers tomorrow, including Caleb, South Australia's most unlucky woman. All right, let's look at what's making news in the papers. Caleb, you have the most unlucky woman in all of South Australia.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't have the most unlucky woman in all of South Australia, because if she was dating me, she'd be the luckiest.
Speaker 4: Woman in South Australia.
Speaker 5: But anyway, let us go to the front of the advertiser tomorrow, where indeed it says, essays unluckiest woman. She's been knocked back five hundred times, not by me.
Speaker 4: Never had a job in forty years.
Speaker 5: Now come up forty years, Elizabeth Penchon a Rosemarie Culick fifty four is one unlucky woman, having been rejected for more than five hundred jobs over forty years, as new figures reveal Adelaide's growing unemployment crisis. Now, yes, there is an issue with unemployment and underemployment, particularly when people have a job, which means they don't show up in the unemployment figures. But of course they're getting far less work than they would like. But if you haven't had a job in forty years, and you reckon you've applied for five hundred jobs. This woman, by the way, has never had a driver's license, and she had her first daughter at twenty one.
Speaker 2: She's not had a job since then.
Speaker 5: Might you not look at yourself and think perhaps I'm part of the problem here.
Speaker 7: There are entire agencies dedicated to helping people out of work get into work, and I crunch the numbers. If you've been knocked back five hundred times in forty years, you've only been applying for one job every four weeks.
Speaker 1: Rosemary, I'm going with that.
Speaker 7: I mean, you just put the resume together once and then fire it off twenty times in one setting if you want to, But literally five hundred times in forty years, that means you're applying for one job every four weeks.
Speaker 3: On the other hand, I mean, if you've been knocked back five hundred times, it would be pretty tough to put in your five hundred.
Speaker 7: First applic No, I'm sorry, it just means you're not trying hard enough.
Speaker 3: Here, South Australia's most tenacious woman rather than unluckiest woman to have applied that many times and been knocked back. But the Department of Social Services reckon. There's almost half a million people who are currently on job seeker capable of working at least thirty hours a week. So we're back to this conundrum right where we're told that we need immigrants because we need a labor force, and yet we've got four hundred and sixty nine thousand people on job seeker at payments who the Department of Social Services say and would be well able to working.
Speaker 1: That excuse for decades now or skilled shortage.
Speaker 7: That's why we need all these immigrants, really, because now it's twenty twenty four and we've still got all these skill shortages.
Speaker 1: So clearly it didn't work.
Speaker 5: And often what you'll find is these people who are on jobs out who are more than capable of working, don't want to do the.
Speaker 4: Jobs that are available.
Speaker 5: They don't want to be the cleaners and whatever else. Oh you know that's immigrant work. Well, you know, a job is better than nothing.
Speaker 3: And I'm certainly not saying this about the lady on the front page of the paper, but there was the comment the other day in the news by recruiter who said that typically people on job seeker who don't want to work they apply for jobs they know they're not qualified for in order to tick the box and continue receiving their payments, not saying that about the lady featured. The Herald's Son in Melbourne has a front page exclusive, as does the Daily Telegraph.
Speaker 2: By our own Joe Hildebrand.
Speaker 3: Elbow rules out early poll saying he wants to first get on top of cost of living crisis. Well, I guess that means we are never going to the polls, will never be an election ever again. And he also wants to combat social media's toxic impact on kids.
Speaker 2: I'm going the distance. Reads the headline.
Speaker 3: Well, if he intends to break the back of the cost of living crisis, I mean he's the cause of the cost of living crisis. Our energy policy is driving the cost of living up. Immigration is driving the cost of housing up. If he's going to break the back of cost of living, he's going to have to reverse a whole lot of his own policies.
Speaker 5: I now all he wants to do, as evidence by the budget is pushed down the headline inflation figure leading into an election by of course giving three hundred dollars not to you, but to the power company, so that the number that shows up on your bill is list than it otherwise would have been, which helps to bring down the headline rate of inflation. Probably doesn't do much about real inflation, but it changes the number that gets reported by the boffins. That's what he means by reducing the cost of living. It's not about what's in your hip pocket. It's about what you read in the newspaper so that when you go to the next election you feel like maybe the cost of living is better, but it won't be.
Speaker 7: And let's not forget he didn't care until late last year when he lost the referendum, which had been his pet project for the entirety of his Prime ministership, and now all of a sudden it was like, oh, yeah, cost of living, let's start talking about that. Notice also though not only is it cost of living, but it's this banning anyone under sixteen. It's now so important that it's sharing a headline with cost of living pressures and mark my words, this has nothing to do with helping teenagers and everything to do with ensuring that their Digital Idea Bill, which they passed last week very quietly, again something none of us wanted, but now we've got it, that is going to come into play here, because the only way to ban kids from getting online and lying about who they are is to ensure that people have these digital ideas that you cannot fake, that you cannot hack. Thereby you prove I'm James McPherson. I'm accessing my social media right now.
Speaker 1: That's who I am. There's simply no other way to do it.
Speaker 3: Well, clearly the government on this is I mean they've been circling on this issue, right, misinformation that didn't really misinformation and that didn't land, violence on the internet, with that attack on the bishop that didn't land. Finally they've found something that will resonate emotionally with people. We've got to protect the kids, and he's decided to make that his key folk.
Speaker 1: What do I always say?
Speaker 7: They pick the most reasonable, the most rational reason that they can possibly give something that people will go, oh, yes, we are crying out for the solution that they have ready already pre planned. Here's when I made earlier public and now I get to usher it in with your blessing because I've convinced you that it's for the greater good.
Speaker 1: And hashtag safety always for your safety to the front page of The Australian.
Speaker 7: Now murder, curfew breeches detainees allowed to walk free.
Speaker 1: Gosh, it feels like groundhog day.
Speaker 7: A former immigration detainee already convicted of a string of offenses since his release from indefinite detention, has walked free despite committing multiple curfew breaches. After Commonwealth prosecutors opted against, insisting he.
Speaker 1: Remained behind bars.
Speaker 7: Barungi born kim Bingeiri Cossago.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, it's a pretty good effects.
Speaker 1: I'm going my Bessie, thank you.
Speaker 7: On Tuesday, was handed a one year jail sentence for each of the six chargers laid against him this month for breaching his curfew and failing to maintain his electronic monitoring device.
Speaker 1: But hey, let's let him walk free, because I'm sure all he needs.
Speaker 7: Is a sixth, seventh, eighth chance.
Speaker 1: And this one's gonna lad.
Speaker 2: I just argue that that well, I mean, that's that's what I've done. House charges.
Speaker 5: How how have we reached the point where you can be a Syrian sofenda who shouldn't even be here in the first place. Yeah, and you get out like we're just constructing a beacon on the border by the beaches, well saying if.
Speaker 4: You're a criminal, come to Australia. It's the best place in the world. That is the message we keep sending out.
Speaker 5: No wonder people keep rocking up on boats and occasionally making it to shore.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they're about the lucky country is I can.
Speaker 1: Be a murderer in my own country.
Speaker 7: As long as I make it to Australia, They're not going to do anything about it.
Speaker 1: They're stuck with me to the second.
Speaker 7: Splash, blackouts risk push for green transition. New South Wales Premier Chrismians has warned renewable energy advocates that public support for the transition to a green economy will vanish if there are price spikes and blackouts, as he paved the way for the life of the state's Raring qualified power station to be extended.
Speaker 1: Well well well, from the mouth of the premiere.
Speaker 7: Now we have to keep the coal fired power station burning otherwise you guys.
Speaker 1: Are going to be lighting candles.
Speaker 2: It says a lot.
Speaker 3: About the federal government's energy policy when our state premiers, now labor premiers, are starting to just position themselves to deflect the blame and we're on the side.
Speaker 1: Of the public need a safety blanket.
Speaker 2: We're in big trouble once they're doing that. We know those problems.
Speaker 5: We pay to keep a rearing open and just before we get to the break, the courier mail systemorrow not stop the boats, stop the cars. Migration is to blame for Queensland's clogged roads and stretched public transport network.
Speaker 4: Premier Stephen Miles.
Speaker 5: Has declared, and of course he also said today doubling down on this rhetoric about migration being the cause of all the Queenslands, was that he was glad to see that Peter Dutton had got on board with his idea to reduce migration.
Speaker 4: Dutton taken his ideas from Stephen Mile.
Speaker 3: How good is that we're going to go to a break when we come back San Francisco promising free vodka shots to.
Speaker 2: Homeless people at player expense.
Speaker 3: Of course that's a month, all right. Get this for a ridiculous government policy. Homeless people in San Francisco will be served free vodka shots in a five million dollar program to help the homeless. If they don't like vodka, they can have beer or wine. It'll be served by nurses who aim to curb the amount homeless people drink.
Speaker 2: They'll serve it up three times a day.
Speaker 3: As you can imagine, taxpayers in San Francisco are not impressed.
Speaker 15: It's really conflicting to give alcohol to alcoholics because it's a disease. It's a condition that is basically, you know, an obsession of the mind that turns into an allergy of the body. And it's a disease that they can't help.
Speaker 1: So it's basically you're enabling them.
Speaker 15: You're enabling and the possibility is for them to die.
Speaker 11: They're giving people alcohol who has crew, who clearly has an addiction.
Speaker 5: So if you're providing them with the means to get drunk, I mean, it makes no sense to me.
Speaker 8: That's what the program and it's given away free alcohol.
Speaker 2: That's not to give you some money.
Speaker 3: Only in a Democrat city, Liz, do they have nurses acting as cocktail waitresses for homeless people.
Speaker 1: About you who we all know is from a Democrat city.
Speaker 7: Check out these liberal women who went to a wellness retreat for anger issues.
Speaker 1: They paid four thousand dollars each to.
Speaker 7: Be there to effectively bash sticks on the ground and scream like bangies.
Speaker 1: Check it out, ladies. Trump hasn't even won yet. That's later, that's later.
Speaker 4: In the year.
Speaker 5: If you, if you will pass a woman in the park bashing a stick and screaming against the floor, you'd say to your kid son, don't go near the crazy lady. But when they get together as a group, somehow it's okay.
Speaker 1: They pay four grandeage for that.
Speaker 4: A fool and her money are soon parted.
Speaker 2: That's all from us stick Around. Coming up in just a moment is The Reader Penney Show.