Speaker 1: Apologie production.
Speaker 2: Hi, my name's beck Woodbine and welcome to Tenderness for Nurses.
Speaker 1: I'm grateful for the person that I have the opportunity to be, so I hit it and parked it for Nelly four years. We always have free will, We always get to choose.
Speaker 2: We are autonomous. Welcome back everyone to Tenus for Nurses. We have Sam post back because the questions and the information you guys sent back to me was you really wanted to get more information out of her. So welcome back Sah.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me back back.
Speaker 2: So I hope you're ready today because we have so many questions to go through.
Speaker 1: Love it.
Speaker 2: I love that everyone just embraced it and sent heaps of questions.
Speaker 1: There's some juicy ones in there, some really juicy ones.
Speaker 2: The first question is uncontrollable weight gain during peri menopause. Why and why in the tummy area.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this is a really interesting one. And I think, like I'll preface with saying that with all of these ants, one answer isn't going to be the right answer for everyone. And I think when we look at hormones, there are so many factors that affect things. But when we look at weight gain. In perimenopause, there's a couple of factors that affect things. One is estrogen or the reduction of estrogen. Estrogen is our feel good hormone, but it's also the hormone that controls a lot of things and also interplace with our other hormones like insulin. So when we're looking at perimenopause, we also see, you know, more insulin resistance coming in. We see a reduction in our muscle mass, which increases our metabolism and all of that sort of stuff as well. So it's really quite multifaceted.
Speaker 2: So really in perimenopause, you start to get a drop of estrogen, you do, and do you get a drop of progesterone.
Speaker 1: You do get a drop of progesterone as well, but it's more the drop in the estrogen that drives a lot of these factors. Usually as well, when we look at when people tend to go through that perimenopause menopausal stage as well, it's usually during a period of time where cortosole levels and stress levels are quite high as well, because you know where where midlife we're dealing with either children that are school age or children that are growing and leaving the nest and then aging parents and all of these compounding things that increase quartersole levels as well, which we know has plays a factor in weight gain. When we're looking at estrogen and the reduction in estin that's where we get that at a post tissue across that midsection as opposed to hips and thighs when we're going through puberty.
Speaker 2: When people have PCs and they struggle to lose weight, like I was led to believe, estrogen sits in the fat cells or can do so, is that why people with pcos have so many issues with weight? It's because they've got so much estrogen.
Speaker 1: No, So when we do bloods on people with pcos there anovulagy, we tend to see what we call baseline blood, so really low levels of everything except for usually elutinizing and FSH hormone because you've got so many follicles there, follicles driving follicle stimulating hormone, which has this negative feedback. With pcos, it's generally related of the way gain is generally related to insulind.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, that makes sense, and PCOS GUYS is polycystic ovarian syndrome. Just in case, you didn't.
Speaker 1: Know, which is very different to PCO, which is polycystic ovaries in morphology, which lots of people get.
Speaker 2: I had that, Yeah, but I didn't have the syndrome. Yep, So just had a fewfference, you know. Just wasn't that easy for imprint?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I still have my period, but have a low sex drive is something wrong with me?
Speaker 1: No, nothing is wrong with you. And it doesn't necessarily mean that we're going through perimenopause or menopause either. I think when we look at sex drive as females, we are very cyclical from a monthly perspective for most people. But we know that our hormones as females are driven by extrimesic factors lack stress. And so just because you've got a low sex drive, I can probably guarantee that this person is a mother, is running around like a crazy person, juggling, you know, multiple things, and that naturally drives down that sex drive or.
Speaker 2: That libido because you're just exhausted.
Speaker 1: Correct, Yeah, correct, definitely. You know, with regards to perimenopause, if we're looking at it from that perspective again, estrogen drives all of those things down as well. For some people they find sex less comfortable because estrogen is what helps with the lubrication in the vagina and all of those sorts of things as well, So there can be you know, almost blockers to wanting to have sex, which can actually drive down your libido as well. If it's uncomfortable, you don't want to do it, and that you know, has that whole play. I'd say, we're probably just a really busy person and that's completely completely normal. And I think it's really important as females to normalize that with our partners as well, that sometimes we're just not we're just not fiery or in the mood today, and that's completely normal with everything else going on in life. I think when we look at males, males are like on a daily kind of flac or they're just producing stuff left, right and center, and you know, females are very very different.
Speaker 2: Look. I mean, I know for myself there you know, when you're shattered, you just want to get a bed totally.
Speaker 1: And I think you know also too, depending on what you do for work, but also when you're a mother as well, you know someone's at you all day or you've got multiple people and you're having to care and be the person that's on for other people, as a lot of females do, whether that's in life at home or within the workplace. The last thing you want to do some things is be touched by someone else, like leave me alone. I need more space. I need to just you know, calm down and come down. And I think that that's a really normal physiological response to just being so busy as females.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I couldn't agree more. Okay, the next question, it takes me longer to be aroused when once I was ready really quick. Why is this? And what can I do to help my libido?
Speaker 1: So again I think multifactorial, you know, without knowing the person the situation. Maybe it's something to do with menopause or perimenopause. I don't know the age, in which case we're talking about estrogen. Again, when we're talking about hormones, there are things that we can put in place, whether that is hormone replacement therapy from a perimenopause menopause al place, whether it's lubricant. So naturally, sometimes we're just we might feel like we want to have sex, but you know the body is not catching up. Again, stress life that all plays a factor in it. So talking to a GP nurse practitioner, whoever you're seeing from a hormonal perspective, if it is in that perimenopause, menopause, or window, because we can do things like vaginal estrogen and stuff that can help with lubrication, but also too, I think a lot of women still utilize lubricant makes it more enjoyable. And that's again normalizing that just because you use lubricant to have sex doesn't mean that there's anything wrong, doesn't mean that you enjoy it any less or you know, take longer to be aroused. You can still be aroused in your body, just not producing the same amount of lubricant as it does in the pollicular phase of your cycle, or the beginning of your cycle compared to the lutelle phase or the second half of your cycle, where estrogen levels have completely dropped off and we're getting ready to either maintain a pregnancy if we're pregnant, or getting ready to shed the lighting. And so when we look at the cycle hormones, our estrogen starts to build at the beginning of the cycle, it peaks at population and then it drops off. So it is actually really natural and normal to have a drier vaginal area in that second phase of your cycle. Nothing wrong with it.
Speaker 2: And when you look at that, I mean physiologically it makes sense because you know, we're designed to procreate, and of course you know leading into that phase, you aren't going to have more estrogen, which is going to drive you know, you're going to have more sex drive to try and fertilize that egg. So physiologically that makes sense. But also on the other hand, there's so much out there that you can just go to the supermarket now for lubricants. You know there's flavored ones, smelly ones pretty well, but you can actually just go to the supermarket. You don't have to go to a sex shop anymore to get into that sort of thing. And I think it's fantastic that they're meeting a market and I You've just got to speak to your partner, don't you.
Speaker 1: Absolutely? And I think that that's, you know, with anything, when we talk about hormones and relationships, it's about being open and driving that communication. And for some people that can actually be really difficult. It's not like everyone's you and I and we have no problems in discussing this sort of thing. Partly because of nurses and partly because you know, we're females and we're advocates for the female body. But you know, generationally as well, you know, there's people that you know, have grown up in a very very conservative household and even though they're young, they haven't been exposed to, you know, open conversations about your body and sexuality and all that sort of stuff. And then you've got the other end of the spectrum, like my nine year old, who can tell you about everything that that happens, you know, to a woman's body from you know, preteen all the way through two menopause, and you know all of those sorts of things that go into there as well. So I think open communication with your partner is really really important. But I think also to within your close friends group. You know, you'd be surprised with the number of people that are probably experiencing the same thing within your close friends group that just don't talk about it. I know myself. You know, you get talking to friends and they mentioned something, you're like, oh, hang on a second, that's not normal, like did you you know? And it's just opening up that that conversation.
Speaker 2: What causes my period to stop? Hmmm?
Speaker 1: Again, it all comes back down to isugen for a start that it it's the drop in your estrogen. But what leads to that drop in the estron is we have a finite number of eggs within our ovary. So when a female baby is in utero at twenty weeks, we have the most number of eggs that we will ever have. By the time we are born, that halves and then yeah, and by the time we actually go through puberty, we've only got about four hundred to five hundred thousand eggs and they slowly drop off. So biggest misconception that I see with patients coming through from a fertility perspective is they think that we only lose one egg a month. It's actually not true. I like to describe because I'm quite a visual person. Ovary is almost like a shark's mouth. So anyone that knows sharks knows that they have a whole cohort of teeth that come through at a different period of time. That's the same on the ovary. So within each month we have our ovarian reserve or our anthropolical count. When we scan people, we can see that. But what naturally happens is your fsahal your follicle stimulating hormone is only enough to draw one of those little follicles up to become dominant. We ovulate and we release it for liticle, but all those other cohort of embryos that sit in what we call the cortex of the ovary kind of resolve. We lose them as well as that one that we've ovulated from, and then the next cohort come up. So that happens, yeah, month to month to month, and eventually the ovaries lose all of their eggs, and that's where the period starts to slow down and we start to get irregular cycles. And then you know perimenophorse is that that phase where your periods become irregular, and they become irregular because we've got fewer numbers of eggs pushing through, and that regularity of that happening doesn't necessarily occur in that month, in that twenty eight day thirty day phase whatever is normal for the person, and so eventually there's nothing really there and that whole process stops. And so it's like the drive of f S, H and hormones, and it actually starts in the brain in the petuitary. That's actually where all of that, the hormone start and drive over it.
Speaker 2: When I realized I was menopausal, I went and saw my gynecologists because I was sort of wanting to kill everybody. I was an angry, angry lady. He said, the reason why you're feeling like you are is, he said, your ovaries have like a last hurrah where they just try to kick back in one more time, have one more party. Yeah, and then they get totally And he said that can be a couple of months, or that can be and he said it can be quite horrendous for the woman at that time because your body's just sort of.
Speaker 1: Doesn't know what it's doing, like going between the two. Am I trying to have a baby? I'm not. Am I finishing? And yeah, it can. For some people it happens quite quickly, and for other people it drags on and that's cruel, but it happens.
Speaker 2: Well, he I was put on HRT and I had a mariner in. Yep, my life changed seriously within a few days. Within a few days that gel I'm using that to the day I die. I'm not joking it. It was so notice my head, my fog cleared, you know, I could breathe, but the anger subsided and that was probably the best thing, because you know, my poor husband was, what is happening? You're scary? But so many women say the same thing, except so many women they just have this just annoyed at everything. And I don't know why. I don't know why. I don't know why. I think it's I mean, I can look back now, I think it's hilarious, but at the time it was not.
Speaker 1: No, absolutely, and I think that that's you know, that's quite scary for some women, and particularly you know if you're on the younger end of things, when when hormones start to change. We know that you know, hormones start to change before you even reach that perimenopause. So for some people, they get some of the symptoms like the brain fog or the agitation or whatever it might be, well and truly before their periods start to misbehave and become irregular. And it can be really frustrating because you know, we don't talk about it enough. Yes, the conversation is starting to be out there and we're talking about it more, but it is quite a normal phenomenon, but we don't talk about it like it is.
Speaker 2: So I had a client come in a couple of weeks ago and she was so excited she'd had a last period. Now, I thought I would go through menopause later. And I think I was forty five forty six, so that's reasonably young. I this is gonna sound really weird. I felt like I was grieving.
Speaker 1: Some people do that.
Speaker 2: I it just happened, yep. And then and I suppose having a marina in for so many years didn't help because I didn't know when my period was. But I sort of a bit sad because that part of my life was done. Yeah, and yet other women and I sit there and I think, oh, you're amazing because you're just celebrating this and you're moving on with the next stage of your life. Where I did, I felt sort of sad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you see a mix of a mix of things. I think. You know, even when we're looking at women that are coming through our clinic and having hysterectomies as well, you know, some people are so keen to get that uterus out and I don't want anything to do with it. And then you have other people that you need to have it out for a medical you know, a really significant medical problem. They've had bleeding or they've got massive fibroads that are causing problems or whatever it may be. And even though they know that it's a necessity for their own health, it's a really hard concept to grapple with. And I think, you know, menopause and that transition, it is a transition to a different phase of your life, and it does sneak up on you all of a sudden you're there, and if you know, you have that preconceived idea that oh, well, you know what happens in my fifties, and you know it's age is a way I don't have to worry about it. And then all of a sudden you're forty five and you're there. You're like, hay in a second, oh, ten years until this is happening, Like what is what is going on? And so I think it is a big shift for us to kind of go as women, Okay, well that part of my childbearing, all my reproductive time is over, and that was an amazing journey, whatever that looks like. Because for everyone, not everyone's you know, decides to have children or is fortunate enough to be able to have children, but it is you know that you move on to that next phase, and I think there's some merit in celebrating it, but also I think allowing yourself to grieve if they're the feelings and the emotions that come up during that period of time as well. And I think that's that's the thing. What happens for one person isn't going to be the same for you, And just normalizing that in itself, is that the way that your friend experience is very menopause, and menopause isn't going to be how you experience it. I think when we're looking at all of the information out there, and certainly one of the things that I noticed with the questions that came through was there is no one size fits all approach, and what one person experiences from a symptom perspective may beeause or perimenopause, but for another person it may just be that you're really stressed at work and your hormones are just doing something funky and then you know, in two months time when life comes down, things you know, kick back into to normal gear.
Speaker 2: So can stress impact estrogen, Absolutely, it.
Speaker 1: Can affect your whole entire hormonal system, because again, hormones are drived predominantly from your hypothalmus and everything like that. And so once we're stressed, our body goes, you know what, We're not ready to have a baby, We're not ready to potentially be responsible for creating life. We're just going to shut down. And so you see that all the time, particularly in like athletes, young women with eating disorders, or corporates that are really really stressed kind of in that right or flight mode for long periods of time. Our body is unalthy. It is unhealthy, but it's also you know, in the body's way of going, you know what, it's actually not the right time to bring something else into the world or to put your body under any more stress than what it's already under. We shut things down.
Speaker 2: I have spoken about this before on the podcast, but I'm a big believer in box breadth. You know, one two three four one two three four. The evidence is overwhelming that just two cycles of that reduces your quartersol dramatically in an emergency. So for example, you know, and there was an emergency situation in the emergency department and someone was coming in and you know, fight or flight, and you take the time and you can do it well, you know, you can think about it in your head. The change in your demeanor and how you cope and then how you analyze the situation changes dramatically, and I find I do I definitely do box breathing because you can sit on the toilet and do it totally. You know, and you know, and it sounds weird, but it actually makes a difference.
Speaker 1: No. There are some articles about, you know, first responders and before they hit a trauma or before a trauma comes in or whatever that looks like that they do some form of box breathing or some of those other breathing techniques to kind of just center themselves. There is an organization over in America that helps support I think it's the police over there, and they talk about doing that sort of breathing before you're entering into whatever scenario that you may be entering into, because there is a huge amount of research with regards to it. But I know myself, I do the same thing. I am under a lot of stress at the moment, and I find just you know, I can start to feel quite anxious and heightened and just slowing down and doing a couple of breaths of back.
Speaker 2: It's quite remarkable.
Speaker 1: It's amazing. I remember reading it and being like okay, whatever, and then doing.
Speaker 2: It and I was like, oh, it actually works.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is this is the thing, and it's interesting. Like my my little girl when she was in prep, they taught them five finger breathing, which is very similar, so you trace your fingers and inhale and exhale five times. And the the prep teachers taught them that in their first week of how prepulous like for if they were feeling overwhelmed and whatnot. And so to this day, Ivy will still if she starts to get a bit things because it's got to do my five finger breathing mommy, and she takes a moment and she does the.
Speaker 2: Right They so seriously are why is IVF so expensive.
Speaker 1: IVF is expensive. It's not because of the doctor, which I think is the biggest misconception. So the doctor gets a tiny tiny amount of the amount that you pay to the IVF unit wherever that is. The where that money goes is all of the science that goes behind making embryos from the eggs and sperm that we collect for like, it's quite an involved process, from the microscopes that we need to use and the tools that we need to use if we're microinjecting sperm into eggs, to the embryoscopes and the areas that we keep our little embryos and watch our little embryos into. Plus, you know that the time of all the staff and everything that are constantly going through, you know, the lab doesn't stop it. It's a continual thing, and so it's the science behind everything that continues to run and build create these little embryos in our little petri dishes. That IVF is so so expensive, and the more for want of a better term, intervention that we need to have with regards to IVF, the more expensive it gets. So when we start to look at IVF versus IXY, which is where we microinject sperm into the egg rather than allowing the sperm to penetrate the egg as if it would within the fallopian tubes, that's an additional cost. But for some people that's nesseette because that's the only way that the sperm is going to get into the egg. When we look at genetic testing of our embryos, that's another additional cost because again for some people they don't require it, but for other people they do. And then when you look at the types of testing there are. You know, there's more involved testing if we're looking for specific gene related conditions, and so that expands that cost further as well.
Speaker 2: Don't you think it's remarkable that, you know, an egg is so tiny east or an embryo, even embryo is tiny, and they can take.
Speaker 1: It's fascinating and send it off.
Speaker 2: I mean when I went to QFG, I used to love looking down that microscope and seeing the embryos and they're multiplying and growing.
Speaker 1: It now remarkable embryoscope. It's like a time lapse cameras, so every couple of minutes you get a new picture of the embryo. So like watching that in succession, it's just incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, my daughter is only eleven but already has pimples and black heads. Why is this when she is clean, washes the face, and doesn't have a period.
Speaker 1: So this is probably both of our questions, but I could. I'm going to preface by saying that girls' bodies start to change from a hormonal perspective at least two years before we actually have a period. For some people it's only twelve months, and for other people it's two years, two and a half years, So that's the first and foremost thing. Also, secondly, I watched my nine year old wash her face and it's not done very well. But yeah, the hormonal changes are happening internally long before we're having a period. So it's the same with you know, what we call budding, so starting to get breasts and hair and all of that sort of stuff that happens well and truly before periods. When we're looking at budding and hair development, it's usually six to twelve months before girls get there first period, but we know that some of those skin changes happen long before that.
Speaker 2: And it's funny because they will come into the clinic and the hair is like a grease gray hit. Particularly the boys. You know, they've got oily skin, oily faces, and you know, those hormonal changes are happening, and it's just a matter of teaching them how to cleanse their face correctly and not like they do on TikTok. And the other thing I found I found with these younger patients of mind that come in and look after their skin is they're on TikTok and they're trying out fifty different things and their skin turns into this absolute mess, strips it within an inch of its life. But when the young boys come in and they're sitting there and they're sort of embarrassed at first, and then we do what we do and they they love it, and not just love it. They do what I say to do, down to the let like down to the full stop. They are remarkable, these young boys, and have no problem cleansing their face. And I said, indeed, you got to wash your hair. It's like you could ski off that. It's disgusting. And they go but they like it because they put product in or something. It's just disgusting. But you talk to them and you say, you know, you just got to change a bellow case. You've got to just wetch your face after sport, just wash it down. You've got to wash your face when you get home, and when you think you've washed it, give it another wash, just like your pits. When you've washed them, then go back in and wash them again. But I just they're you know, they're coming in. The hormones are just going rampant.
Speaker 1: And definitely and you know when we look at little girls, you know, I like I said, my daughter's night and starting to look at some of her little friends and the change in body shape, and you know at a post tissue starting to go on the eyes and stuff, and you can go, okay, well, you know little people that you know are going to start going through through changes sooner rather than later. Yeah, and then you've got my little string bean who's like, do you think away, I have my period soon?
Speaker 2: I'm like, nah, enjoy it, enjoy it. Do men have a type of menopause.
Speaker 1: It's not called menopause, it's andropause, and it tends to happen much later in life than what it does with women, and it's where they're androgen so their testosterone and stuff starts to drop. Some people it drops significant enough that they fatigue, they have sexual dysfunction, libido drops off, and for other people there's a natural decline but not anything to impact life. But there is definitely a change that happens, but it's much much later. And that's why you know, you see, you know, men in their seventies and eighties still fast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, good to think of anything worse. Can I use testosterone to improve my libido? Or is weight lifting and building must is good? Yeah?
Speaker 1: So that's a question that really you need to sit down with your practitioner whoever that is, and look at what is happening. So would really require blood test monitoring, seeing what's happening. Weight bearing exercise to increase muscle mass helps when we're looking at perimenopause and menopause because we know that obviously with more muscle we increase our metabolism. We know that with muscle growth we do get a little bit of testosterone that comes or androgens that come with that. But at the same time, we're female, we're not going to have the same testosterone drive from future amounts of muscle like boys do because we can't develop huge amount of muscle that's what boys do. So depending on the symptoms that people are experiencing and why they feel they need testosterone is probably the first question, but also looking at that whole Pomona profile, because again for a lot of people, once we start supplementing the estrogen and the project stone, we tend to find that things kind of balance off nicely. It's very rare that we need to add in testosterone, and if we do, it's a very small amount and very personalized.
Speaker 2: If I use testosterone, will I get hairy?
Speaker 1: So testosterone is an androgen, and so for some people, yeah, they can have a little bit more facial hair and stuff as well. I know, we use a tablet. It's not testosterone, it's another male androgen to help convert some of our IVF medications. And for short periods of time that doesn't change things. But with things like PCOS and stuff as well, higher androgens in the body will naturally, over a course of time cause the body to produce excess hair. That's what androgens do, and that's.
Speaker 2: One of the when you've got the syndrome for PCOS. Purseudism. Hair is one of the side effects of having multiple follicles. Yeah, and it's something we treat a lot, but it's ongoing with those ladies unfortunately.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: You know you can treat, but at the end of the day, did you know that, like eggs or like follicles, we have a finite number of hair follicles. Yeah, so there you go. So you if you treat and treat and eventually it will go.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sometimes the laser agitates a hair follicle beside it, so you can treat. Actually, waxing was the worst for agitating hair and then another hair would come up beside it shaving that it makes your hair worse is the biggest fallacy there ever was it doesn't change your hair because your hair is already the way it is at a cellular level. But yeah, it's finite finite. I know there's a bit of trivia for the trivia arts excellent. If I use HRT, will it reduce my risk of Alzheimer's as my mum has it?
Speaker 1: So the juries out on this one. I think when we look at Alzheimer's as a whole, it can be a hereditary based condition. We do know that in there are some studies to show that starting HRT earlier in that verimenopausal journey can be a protective factor compared to studying it later in the journey. But again it is very very individualized as to that whole genetic history as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can I use HRT forever?
Speaker 1: The I guess when we're looking at the research that's out there at the moment, most research is up to about ten years. But again we need to be looking at why we're wanting to use it. The theory for a long period of time has been shorter period possible that is starting to draw out. Most people tend to be on HRT for about that four to five gear mark and then they start to slowly wean it off. But again it's very individualized and personalized as to why we're using it and in what modality as well. Yeah, whether it's you know, I HRT, whether it's low, whether it's a bit of you know, estrogen cream to help with liubrifcation in the vagina, a little bit of transdermal estrogen that there's a whole array of HRT when we're looking at what that looks like. And so, yeah, it again very very individualized.
Speaker 2: Why do I have to use progesterone with estrogen when I have a uterus?
Speaker 1: Yes, when you've got a uterus, you need both estrogen and progesterone. Progesterone is our hormone that sheds outlining. Our estrogen is the hormone that thickens the lining. So if we continue to take estrogen without having progesterone in there to have what we call a withdrawal bleed or in the case of having a marina in where you've got that constant, steady state of gesterone, what happens is the lining continues to thicken and then we're at risk of individual hyperplasia or an endometrial cancer. So it's to reduce the risk of having an indivitrial ypoplasia.
Speaker 2: And is it a tablet or is it a cream?
Speaker 1: Usually usually a tablet, usually micronized tablet.
Speaker 2: Does using HIT increase the risk of breast cancer? And that has been proven, guys. It is a fallacy that estrogen or HRT causes cancer that has been debunked.
Speaker 1: It has most definitely. The big study we touched on her before was the Women's Health Initiative back in the seventies that came out with all of these scare factor tactics, and that included also you know, the likes of or contraceptive feelain and all.
Speaker 2: Of those sorts of terrible as well.
Speaker 1: It was really really quite terrible. That's well and truly been debunked. I think when we look at cancer, and particularly breast cancer and ovarian cancer, when we're looking at hormones, there are some types of cancers that are estrogen or progesterone receptive, and so you know, being on something may slightly increase the chance of that, but for most people they were going to end up having that sort of cancer anyway. You know what I mean, it's not taking the HRT hasn't caused you to.
Speaker 2: Get develop that cancer. It takes a long time to get aroused, and sometimes I spot during sex. Is this normal? Sex can be quite painful and I just don't enjoy it anymore. What can I do?
Speaker 1: So this again, without knowing the situation or the person, sounds like we're probably in our perimenopause menopausal journey. I'd say we're probably estrogen depleted for want of a better term, where you know, where we don't have the nice levels of estrogen to keep the vagina juicy. And so with that we get vaginal atrophy, which is just where the vagina becomes less plump for want of a better word. And with that we get tend to get micro tares within that vagina war which is where we tend to see like that spotting side of things. I think with any post coital bleeding it's really important to go and see someone to make sure that it's not something more sinister. We do see postcode or bleeding with cervical problems as well, and what we call sin so stages before you're like civical cancers, which is always really important Obviously our csts or our regular pap smears should pick up some of those cells, but for some people it doesn't. I think also when we're looking at that generation of women that are sitting in that perimenopause menopausal state at the moment, they weren't the women that had the HPV vaccination like my generation. So there is still a higher proportion of people that have HPV related cervical changes, whether that's a cancer or whether that's just changes in general that cause some people to have that instrumental or post quote or bleeding. And so anything that's abnormal from that perspective. With regards to bleeding, always go and get it checked out. But I'd say that it's probably more related to estrogen depletion, in which case something like an estrogen vaginal green.
Speaker 2: It can help, and that will help sick it and lubricate that won't. Definitely, that just made me think perhaps near for everybody now, the therapeutic guidelines say every five years.
Speaker 1: CST every five years if it's normal and if there's no known history of a HPV.
Speaker 2: Okay, So for women my age, it's just a matter of doing it every five years unless there's something comes back, something comes back up normal. But in five years a lot can.
Speaker 1: Happen, ok which is why again regular screening is recommended. So five years, we know that the changes within a cervix don't tend to happen rapidly rapidly Okay, But again if you're we're having changes at it, I guess when we look at the guidelines and the recommendations around that five years, it's five years if you don't have any concerns. If you've got concerns, if you've noticed a change in you know, discharge, discharge or bleeding, post sex or anything that go in and get its seen to. It's really simple to run another screening test. It's really simple for someone to have a look at the cervix and see what it looks like on the exit, you know, the external part of the cervix, and to do another CST. It's yeah, recommendations are five years if you don't have interns.
Speaker 2: Now, someone said to me in the clinic that there are self tests. There are and where do you get them from?
Speaker 1: So they are given out by practitioners. So you can request a self test and form is done up the same way and you've just given the little swap with a little tube and you do it yourself.
Speaker 2: But I think that's going to be a bit hit and missed, don't you think?
Speaker 1: No, Because the way that the testing has changed allows for those vical cells within the back of the vagina or the power to Douglas to be collected. So the change from the peraps smear to the CST is what has allowed that change over to be able to do a self collect We tend to see the self collects more in our trans people and our non binary people, and also our sexual assault patients as well.
Speaker 2: Finally, the last question, ringing in my ears started after menopause. I haven't been around loud noises. Could it be related to menopause?
Speaker 1: So this one I had actually not heard of, So I did have to do a little bit of deep diving. Again. My exposure to menopause or postmenopause is limited just with regards to I guess the patient population that I tend to see. It did find that it can be due to some hormonal changes. It's not common, but more likely to do with stress and blood pressure changes. So when we look at changes that occur in menopause, one of the changes is our cardiovascular change, and so we do see a change and fluctuation in blood pressures, carting of vascular risk as we get older. It's probably more linked to that. And again like we like I mentioned before, when we're looking at people that are going through menopause, generally there's a lot of stuff happening in life, Like you're not slowing down. Your body is trying to tell you to take a break. But there is a lot happening. You know, we're looking after children or they're leaving. You have elderly parents, there's usually a shift in your relationship as well as you you know, going from having children around to being empty nesters. Changes that that happen within you know, a sexual relationship when you know, going through menopause and perimenopause, and so I think there's a lot of compounding factors. But yeah, interesting, maybe more linked to cudiovascular changes.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you so much. Our time is up and I've gone. It has gone so quickly. I really appreciate you coming in and sharing your knowing again, and thanks everyone for all the questions. Yeah, that's great. There was questions.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, I can talk for hours, and then there was someone I was like, oh, I've not come across that. I really like. I think, you know, as a nurse practitioner candidate and someone that works in the field, I think it's really important. And I know you feel the same way back that we don't know everything, and I actually really enjoy getting a question. I'm like, you know what, I don't know the answer to that. I love it, you know, deep dive into the research and the literatureancy what's there. So I actually really enjoy it.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, and who knows you could be back keep sending the questions in guys. Thanks Tom, Thanks