Speaker 1: I get a team. It's Patrick and Jumbo, It's the Bloody Project, that's you. It's tech Friday, while it's Fridays, we're recording. Hi, mate, how are you look?
Speaker 2: I'm not doing too bad. I you know, it's a little bit earlier for me because you know, yes, your text last night. Can we do it an hour and a half earlier? And that's good. But I made the mistake of having a bagel with fake chicken on it?
Speaker 1: Is that? What?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: I know that fake bacon's called faken? What's that is? Right? Isn't it? Do they call it facn fake bacon?
Speaker 2: Well, people call it fake facon, but no, so it was a chicken. Well. So a few weeks ago, I was crook and I ordered some groceries online. And I might be a bit of a tight ass sometimes. So there's a little algorithm you click what's on special and vegan, and it lists all the stuff that's on special to shop with, which is kind of makes sense. So I bought all this stuff, but I bought way too much stuff. And then yesterday I realized that everything was best before today, So I thought, oh man, I'm gonna eat it. So I'm eating it for the sake of it be eaten so I don't have to throw it out because I hate wasting food and I never eat something heavy in the morning. It's normally as smoothie and normally after I've been to the gym. So I haven't been to the gym. I haven't walked the dog. Fritz is laying on the chair next to me, feeling totally dejected. He's just put his head up to see what I was talking about. And then I've eaten this bagel with avocado. It kind of would have been nice that maybe lunchtime, but definitely not ten minutes before sitting down to do a podcast. So in general, I'm great, and thank you for donating to that fundraiser that I've been raising for all this month, because I'm welcome number two in Australia, Crago. How good is that?
Speaker 1: You're a little champion fundraiser. Can I just I want to reinquire, just briefly, why do vegans who don't like meat constantly have meat? You know, it's like fake beef, fake chicken, fake bacon.
Speaker 2: Now, I see, I'm not a vegan who doesn't like meat. I'm a vegan who doesn't eat meat ethically because I can't bear the thought of an animal being killed. So if you have about I'll walk past and think, hm, that smells okay. You know a rack of lamb. Gee, rack of lamb would have been good. But I just don't know the idea of the little lamb not being there anymore. That's what doesn't for me.
Speaker 1: You know. I was listening to this podcast where they were talking about this, and they're talking about I'll find it for you, and I probably shouldn't send it to you, But they were talking about how, you know, people who are vegans for ethical reasons, which is completely legit, totally understandable. But then they were talking about the amount of insects and small animals that get destroyed in the cultivating of acres of vegetables. And it's like squirrels and like get you know, it's like carnage in the harvesting your vegetables.
Speaker 2: So you know, in the harvesting of the food product that goes to feeding cattle. You know, again, happened everywhere. Yeah, this is impossible not to kill insects and small squirrels.
Speaker 1: Squirrels and bloody ground nesting rodents.
Speaker 2: And shit, it's a funny mogument, though, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you. I want to ask you about before we jump in to whatever it is we're talking about. So, how much of your shopping is online? Because like a lot, we have younger listeners, but we also have a lot of listeners who are kind of forty five plus, and then we have a few in their sixties. And I'm going to say, honestly, I've never bought one thing ever in the history of me online. I've never bought an online thing, which is no particular reason. I don't have an aversion to it. But let's say you bought let's say you spent ten grand a year. I'm just plucking a number. How much of that ten grand would you spend online?
Speaker 2: Look general shopping, I time it so that I do shopping on a Wednesday after my tai chi class. I specifically sit up the class so I can go shopping in the next town across because we don't have a you know, we don't have a Coals or an Aldi in our little town. And so for food shopping generally, I do that fresh because and the other thing is vegetables and fruit. I'm not going to get someone to pre pack that and choose what I'm going to pick off shelf. I like to do that myself. But technology I would do totally online ups an uninterruptable power supply. It's basically a big battery that sits between the wall and your computer. So if the power goes out or there's a brown out where the power drops, it means your computer and your monitors will stay running. And also it protects your computer. But I bought that online. There's no way that I'd bother driving half an hour somewhere to shop around and buy one. And also because a lot of companies have pretty good delivery rates, you know, couriers are not too bad.
Speaker 1: So I fact what your impulse? What's your impulse control like? Because I feel like you might see shit and go, oh my god, look could that a drone helicopter that's only ninety five dollars that can deliver my dinner? That How often do you just buy shit that you didn't get on line to buy, Like, it's just you see something and you have no self restraint.
Speaker 2: Now champagne taste on a beer budget, Crego. The problem is most of the check tech that I'm interested in is way too expensive. Today. For example, I was looking at and actually I wasn't looking at this for myself. I was looking at it as a gift for a girlfriend to mine. But there's these e ink photo frames that look like real painting. So it's twenty seven inches. So imagine you've got a framed painting on your wall and it's a stunning painting by Van Goh or something. Well, it actually made of e ink, and so it's got a really nice texture. It looks like it's painted on, and then you can have any picture on there. You can put your own photo, so it's a real step up from traditional photo frames. But I think it was like six one hundred and ninety nine pounds, so oh wow. Yeah, there's no way I was going to buy it. So I kind of drawol over a lot of tech, but I don't. I think I'm pretty good with my money. I don't jump in and buy stuff here. So in answer to your question, I have a little bit of self restraint. But that's purely budgetry. If I was a billionaire, to be ridiculous, i'd need multiple houses and sheds.
Speaker 1: I've just been listening to the last book in the terminal list while I think it's the last book the Terminal List series, which is a guy called James Reese is the lead character. There was a movie in a TV series which was definitely nowhere near as good as the books. But anyway, and in the last book, which has written last year, the central character, apart from James Reese, is a quantum computer called Alice. Oh my god, Oh my god it is. It is a steep learning curve in understanding, like for me, and that the guy who wrote it, Jack Carr, I think his name is. It's so brilliant section of espionage and politics and war and quantum computing and personalities and fucking amazing book. Like for me, I'm a dude, so you know, some people might go, ah, but I really liked it and too, and it's incredibly researched and that the and obviously in the conversation through the book, you know, they have where some some tech dudes explaining to the lead character what a quantum computer is and its capacity and its power, and so they're trying to explain to the dumb readers like me who are like, what a quantum computer? You know, It's like I'm like that shit when that shit becomes commonplace, We're all fucked. I mean, there's going to be no security. Nobody's gonna like it can do so super computers, so computers, and then super computing, and then quantum computing. It can do what a supercomputer can do times a million, ten seconds. I'm like, oh, it's the end of the world. I'll be dead by then. But it ain't seemingly it seemingly ain't that far away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. The other exciting thing though about quantum computing is that it can run computational models that could look at, say, combining drugs, so for example, when you're doing rigorous testing of what drugs and I think the future for health is that we will have tailor made drugs for you and I where you don't just get a script, you to look at what your genetic background is and it will match the drug to whatever the illness or ailment is. And the type of computer models mean that they will be able to use quantum computers to do computational tasks that would have taken thousands of years literally, you know, and do it in such a small out of time that we will be able to easily tailor things like that. So I think from a health perspective, the idea of quantum computing to help with drug research is going to be phenomenal. It's going to be amazing to.
Speaker 1: See all personalized medicine. It's already happening. It's already happening doctor Denise Finess from Coinslane that we have on all the time. So what they do is, and she does this, they literally sample your DNA and build you build your medicine in inverted commas. Now whether or not that's a drug or a supplement or or you know, some kind of lifestyle component or factor, but yeah, you're you're and it's just going to get better and better. Where we're literally going, oh, well, here's Patrick's DNA, here's Craig's DNA. They've both got a headache, but they don't need the same drug because they don't have the same physiology or Patrick needs more energy, or Craig needs more energy, or you know whatever it is. So that is that is exciting. But then I think about that to us in first world countries getting that, the people in the third world countries are not getting that, are they?
Speaker 2: And I've got to say, Katie, probably will I'm just going to say hi to Katie. She sent me the nicest email early in the week. Did I forward it to you? So I'm sure I did. You just ignore me because you tend to do that.
Speaker 1: I get a lot of emails. Well, you do know what was going on in my week this week, so you can give me a chop out. Also, I was in Queensland for two days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've had a pretty crap week, to be honest.
Speaker 1: I spent the first two days in Queensland Monday Tuesday. Then Wednesday is sitting all day in a hospital with my old man, and yesterday was the first day that I was back kind of on deck.
Speaker 2: So actually it was two weeks ago that I think of it, so it's even longer ago than that.
Speaker 1: What did What did Katie say? Is Katie got a hard crush on you?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Kind of. No, one not don't really. She's just one of our listeners. And she said she she loves this segment makes her laugh a lot and she can't even see us.
Speaker 1: How good is that? Wow? She laughed any more? Yeah, hey, Katie, for you and our listeners, we might start working through Patrick's list for those who are I guess we should take didn't we Yeah, Patrick sends me a list of shit that we talk about. I'm looking now there are hang on, stop talking over me. I'll come over there and jump on your bloody mobile vacuum. There's probably twenty twenty to twenty five things on this list. Now, if we talk about each for two minutes, we still don't have time. What how about I love how you've introduced a psychology and biology section in our tech show. You know that that's my space, right.
Speaker 2: But it's cutting each stuff, you know. I think?
Speaker 1: Is it biology and psychology intersecting with technology? Is that what you're saying? Yeah, all right, Well you start you just start there wherever you want.
Speaker 2: Look. I don't know about you, but one of my biggest fears is meeting someone and then thirty seconds later forgetting their name struck. I'm terrible with that, and I really it's become a bit of almost a phobia for me, because I really try hard to remember people's names. So I read an article recently about little processes that you can put into place, and I think most of us do this is you repeat the name back. So someone says Hi, Craig, and I repeat your name a few times, but it can be a bit tacky as well, but it actually is not a bad idea. Also, once you've repeated the name, and if you're out of the room or whatever, talk to yourself. You know, smart people tend to talk to themselves. Do you talk to yourself much? Because I talk to my dog? I don't know that I talk to myself, And now that I think of it, I'm doing it now, aren't I?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So anyway, Yeah, I talk to myself. What about you, Crago?
Speaker 1: Well, I do not in the sense that I'm I'm going back and forth in a two way conversation. I don't think that's particularly indicative indicative of mental health. But yeah, Like I mean, I live by myself, so I say shit out loud all the time. Usually it's something like you fucking idiot, you know? But yes, there was a.
Speaker 2: Study published in Learning, Memory, and Cognition, and it found that saying words out loud or just mouthing them even can make them more distinctive and writing it to the hard drive. The other thing that's really interesting in this article was it talked about predicting whether you will remember. So when I say to myself, I never remember people's names, you're almost putting yourself into the mindset of not remembering the names. So if you change that around and say, yep, always remember people's names, it actually will help when it goes to remembering what people's names are or you know, events or bits and pieces like that. So you're trying to I think replaying it. I say to my students when I'm doing tai chi that even driving home, if they've learned some new moves, visualizing the moves, so they've just spent a session learning some new moves in a new form, and then when you're driving home, just visualize it and that again helps still that memory into an area where you'll be able to recall it.
Speaker 1: I We've had a guy makes sense. We've had a guy in here a couple of times called Heston Russell, which is you know Heston Russell. He's the Australian soldier.
Speaker 2: That uh a man crashed on for a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, like super duper great soldier, got in the middle of there was some controversy which was bullshit surrounding him. Anyway, he got totally cleared and it exonerated. He's a weapon. Great dude. He's been on the show anyway, his name's Heston Russell, as I said, and I don't know anyone called Heston, and I couldn't. A couple of times I'm like down the track, I'm like, what was what is his name? Because it's not like Dave or Patrick or'brian, and so then I would think of Charlton Heston and those old Gladiator movies. So whenever I think of Heston, the first thing I think of as an old Gladiator movie and I'm like, oh, it's Heston Russell, right. But I think. The other thing that I do is if I meet somebody and I straightway have a visual association of them and another person that I know with the same name, So when I see them, I always remember the face of the other person, so I know their name and I pick the most Like let's say it's Andrew. We both know Andrew Jobbling, right, so I would I would pick Jobbers's face, So I would I'd go because I'm going to forget Andrew, because I'm going to meet thirteen people today and I'm gonna I'm going to get told their names, I'm going to shake their hand, and then I'm going to see them this afternoon at this conference, and I'm gonna have no fucking clue, So I always have a for me, that's what. Yeah, Because I'm like you, just trying to remember a name with no kind of association to anything else. I struggle. But if I can link that that that person's face with another person's face that I know, well, then problem solved for me.
Speaker 2: Except if you're doing a lineup, and then you're going to be really shit because you're going to be fingering the wrong person.
Speaker 1: Do you know I was talking to I was talking to somebody yesterday about you know, those those guys and girls. I don't know that I've seen a female mentalist, but I'm sure they are. But a couple of guys that I've seen. There was a guy who came to Melbourne a couple of years ago. If you've not seen him, here is fucking incredible. His name is Leorshad l Io R. Soushad. He's a mentalist and he did all this incredible stuff on stage, you know, all this mind blowing stuff that I won't go into because it's not the show. But one thing that he did do was at the start of the show. So it's all just a room full of strangers and some friends of mine. Their daughter was there and she's her name's Jenna, and she's a pharmacist. Right anyway, So he just picked one hundred people. He went through the audience in about I don't know, three minutes, and he went like he'd point at you and you'd stand up, you'd say my name's Patrick, I'm a tech guy, whatever, right, or I'd build whatever the fuck right? Thanks, and then the next person. He did this with one hundred people and then he went thanks, sit down, literally one hundred, not like twenty, literally one hundred. That was the point of the exercise. Then he did the show, which was like two hours, and then we're all about to go home and we've forgotten and he goes, hang on before we go, and then he went through one hundred people, said their name and their job and made zero mistakes. Two hours later.
Speaker 2: I couldn't do it four people.
Speaker 1: I'm like, that is I mean, I know that's not magic, but that is some fucking cognitive capacity that that dude. And also you think, when you think about this stuff, you think brain actually has this ability, but we don't know how to use it or how to It's not like his brain is.
Speaker 2: A special rain.
Speaker 1: I'm sure he's smart. Anyway, have you ever had this experience? Then I'll shut up, because I listen to a lot of books, right and when I and a lot of music when I'm walking, and every day I walk for probably the best part of two hours every day, and sometimes I'll hear something i'm listening, and then I get back home and I do my shit, and then I hear that same thing again, and I remember exactly where I was on my walk when I heard that bit, Like I remember out of the you know, the ten kilometers that I've covered, exactly within two meters where I was when I heard that bit, even though I wasn't consciously mapping anything. You're like, Oh, that shit is in my brain. I just need to figure out how to get to it.
Speaker 2: I find that with smells. I can occasionally, and it might be a seasonal thing, but I'll get a certain smell and it will be so strong it will take me back to a memory of when I was eleven years old. At the age of ten, I flew to Malta with my mum. She took the boys and we went to Malta, which is where my parents are from, and We spent our eleventh birthday there, so we were ten and we turned to eleven. We were there for six weeks, and there's some smell on I don't know it to a bakery smell or something, but it is so powerful it takes me right back there visually and emotionally. And I don't know I may have mentioned this previously, but one of the things that they say can actually help with recall and memory is Spearmint is one of those recall sense and if you have a confuser and you put it on for two hours as you go to bed, that can help with memory recall. Yeah, that's right. And the other thing I was just the last thing I was going to say about this memory recall is closing your eyes for two minutes. This was a study published in Nature Review, and it found that just two minutes of rest. So that's just your eyes and zoning out for two minutes. And I do that every now and again intentionally, but I just you know, you close your eyes and just hold that for two minutes can have an amazing restorative effect, which is great. So that's that's kind of so interesting. I think another thing that occurred to me. I was going to talk about this later in the show, but I guess we're kind of on the same trend full moons. You know, I worked as a journalist for many years. I did breakfast radio, and there was always this story that went around with the police and the ambos that whenever it was a full moon on a weekend there was more crime.
Speaker 1: And that's not a that's true. I can talk to this, but go on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I was reading up on this during the week and what they think maybe a big factor is that when there's a full moon, there's a lot more light leading up to the full moon and after the full moon. And they've studied people's sleep patterns and they've found that leading up and then during a full moon, people sleep about twenty minutes less and they think that can be a contributing factor in the way that people are acting a little bit differently. And even the term lunar tic came from the whole idea of lunar influence. So what's your take on it, Craigo.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm just I'm seeing what why do people behave weird around full moons? Let's see what chat GPT says. But while he's getting that up, so I I, Oh, I did a gig at a I need to be careful how I say this, this is just true. But at a school with school teachers for who worked with special needs kids, yep. And I was just going through and the head head mistress what do you call them, the principle, She was showing me through the place and she was talking to me about everything, and she said something about I said, how are the kids? And like is at heart? Do they hard work? And that all the teachers love them? She loved them. She's like, you know, she said, apart from a few days like around a full moon. Like it's I'm like what She goes, Oh yeah, I'm like what do you mean? She's like things just happen, like not with everybody, but with some. Okay, So Chatters says, good question, Craig, Thanks Chatters. I love how chat always builds up myself esteem. Health funny. Health funny is Yeah. It's always telling me, like sometimes I'll put up something and you know, like, what what do you think of this paragraph? Or what do you go that's brilliant? It tells me I'm brilliant. It's like my best friend. A good question and one that's been debated. Here's a breakdown of what's really going on. The belief centuries people have linked full moons with strange human behavior, more accidents, fights, births, crime, hospital admissions, even lunacy. As referenced by Patrick James Bonello, Cops, nurses, and emergency workers often where the full moon makes people act up. Most large scale studies have found no consistent causal link between lunar phases and human behavior. A few studies have shown correlations, like small upticks in er visits, blah blah blah. The effect is psychology. The effect is mostly perceptual and cognitive, so it seems like maybe bottom line, here we go, people don't actually behave weirder because of the full moon, but they might perceive themselves as and others as weird to behave accordingly and confirm their own expectations. So it's not lunar gravity messing with us. It's cognitive gravity. I love how it says to me at the bottom, would you like me to write a short Craig style Instagram post? It knows me so well.
Speaker 2: No, I'm good, thanks. I can write my own bum yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah yeah, I can write my own shit, or I made back on our list.
Speaker 2: I apologize, Oh no, that was interesting.
Speaker 1: I feel like this one interests me that maybe my HD, my ultra HDTV is too good for my shitty eyes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, isn't this fascinating? So there was a study recently undertaken and it looked at high definition televisions. So you've got standard definition high definition, then you've got four K and eight K. So four K is basically four times high definition eight K eight times So the resolution just basically means that the screen has more dots on it, which makes the image sharper. You know, on Apple devices they called it a retina display. You know, it's so sharp that you won't believe that it's not real, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Anyway, Yeah, yeah, I think I.
Speaker 2: Was making fun of Appaule then. But what scientists did was they really looked at what our limit is in terms of being able to see the amount of pixels, and effectively, the the ultra high definition TVs look no different when you're sitting on a couch two and a half meters away than the standard definition TV. And there's even a formula they've got so you can say, okay, if I'm going to go and buy an eighty inch screen and I'm going to sit three meters away from it. What's the optimal kind of viewing density of pixels? And they found that it's just not as much So an AK screen. You might as well buy a four K screen for what you're going to be seeing. The thing with new tech, though, is the true blacks. I think the thing that always visually is stunning for me to see when I look at a high screen television is when the blacks look really like they're black, not kind of grayed out.
Speaker 1: You have, Yeah, no, I have the true blacks. Could you explain to that, because a myriad of things went through my mind? Yeah, I don't know what you mean, and I'm pretty sure half the audience doesn't. Oh the true blacks. Yeah, it sounds like you're ing dangerous territory.
Speaker 2: So you see colors on a screen, they are pay by pixels, and then when the pixels turn off, the black color. So if you had a night sky and you had a galaxy of stars, the difference between the real dark pixels of the black and then the tiny lights will make a big difference in terms of that you know, the contrast and make it look more vivid because the one is so dark. And that's what I was referring to.
Speaker 1: Do you know at the opposite end of this scale, Patrick James, do you remember, I'm sure you saw it when I had a rear data projection TV that had about eight pixels.
Speaker 2: It was, but it was gigantic. It was like it was it was like, I don't know how big was It was enormous, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: It was like a Hi Jundai with a screen it was like. And not only was it huge to look at, it was like a meter deep as well. It was the opposite of a flat screen. It was a fat screen.
Speaker 2: And it was just you did a putty open.
Speaker 1: So in the olden days, everyone they used to have, well the olden days they had black and white TV Phillips twenty inch. But so in the as we entered into the more modern era, they developed thing called a rear data projection TV. But and it was enormous, Like the screen was probably I don't know, seventy inches, which is not enormous now, but it's still pretty enormous. But in order to see anything, you had to sit pretty much directly in front of the TV. If you sat to one side in a duck that's right on a bright. I remember the boys came over once to my joint to watch the Grand Final on a Saturday at two till you made them sit on your lap exactly exactly. I did dark in the room and said sit on my lap. Stop it. That was your joint on Grand Final day. And that was just that was just the one guest.
Speaker 2: Hey. You know, that's an interesting thing though, because I've not bought a brand new television for about twenty years, and I know the first indication that's going to come to the top of mind is that I'm a tight ass. So I did buy a rear projection TV from a mate for three hundred bucks. He was offloading it, so I thought, yeah, oh, buy that. So that was the first TV I had at my house here when I moved to the Lands seven eight years ago. The reason being is that people get rid of perfectly good televisions all the time because I want to go to the latest and greatest EKTV that they can't see. But one of the things that I've kind of thought through and I have bought a data projector. And the thing is, data projectors are great because if you're about to go to I think what LG might have just released a one hundred and thirty inch screen. It's ridiculous, it's so big. So the problem is what happens to that one hundred and thirty inch screen when you're going to offload it, when it eventually dies. There's a lot of waste there. But if you're using a data projector, they're small, they've got a little lamp in them, and now they're using lasers for them, so they look phenomenally good. And one of the things you can do now is you get a screen or on your wall. You have a special screen that reflects the ambient light away and it reflects back to you what's being projected onto it. So you can look at a data projector now in a brightly lit room and it looks like a TV screen in terms of the brightness and luminosity because it reflects away the light you don't want, and it throws the light from the projector towards you, so it looks really bright.
Speaker 1: Luminosity. There's a word you don't hear everybody, not every day. No, you Patrick just wheels it out. Like my question with that is you can't watch TV on that though, right, can you or can.
Speaker 2: You watch anything on it?
Speaker 1: Well, I don't understand. It's how do you watch TV without an actual TV now using a projector? So use a data projector.
Speaker 2: But because it's projecting onto a screen, so it's the most people.
Speaker 1: But where does the TV signal come from?
Speaker 2: Well, from the well in your data projector. You can either use Chrome cast or you can plug a laptop into it or a lot of them now are smart projectors that have apps built into them. So you can turn on your projector and it's got Netflix and all the other apps that go with it.
Speaker 1: No, but I mean tally Channel seven News? Can I watch that on it? They have streaming platforms too, don't they. You've got Ivie for ABC. Yeah, but that's yeah, Okay, that's cool. All right. Tell We've spoken about this a bit on this show, but tell us about some research that's come out about the downside of wearing fitness trackers and the like. Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, it's funny because Tiff had this conversation with a few episodes ago how she was obsessed with tracking her blood sugar, wasn't she at one point?
Speaker 1: Well, and that proved to be a somewhat, you know, borderline catastrophic for her because it was talent, it was giving her erroneous data and which led her to nearly go nuts and also thinks she was diabetic.
Speaker 2: Well, the problem with a lot of these fitness trackers, aside from accuracy, is they can get us into a sense of non achieving if we don't reach our goals, to the point where people feel shame if they haven't reached their goals, because it's one thing, you know, the first week, get really into it and you're going to do your ten thousand steps, but then what happens if you only get nine thousand or seven thousand one day and then suddenly there's a sense of shame. And so experts at our University College in London they analyzed a whole lot of posts on x and we're talking fifty eight thousand posts then, and that was people who were posting specifically about using fitness apps. And then what they did was they filtered down all the posts and looked for all the negative sentiments and it ended up there are about thirteen thousand, seven hundred and ninety nine posts that were particularly negative. And what the research has found that people felt shame when they logged unhealthy foods or irritation by notification sent by the app, you know, and there's this overwhelming feeling of disappointment when they weren't able to meet their goals. So tracking our goals is good, but it can have a really negative detrimental effect if it puts us under a lot of pressure and then suddenly we don't perform to the expectation set by an arbitrary device that's got a number on it that we haven't achieved.
Speaker 1: That's such a philosophical kind of quogmire. It's like, I know exactly what you're saying, am I is a little bit of shame terrible. I mean, yeah, there's a little bit of shame. Is a little bit of like, hey, harps, you said you would do this thing and you didn't. I don't know. It's like because somebody might respond like that, and all of a sudden there's shame and now they feel a bit flat and they emotionally spiral. Totally get that. But then somebody else gets the same data and they go, fucking hell, I've got to do better tomorrow. Yeah, Like, I don't know that it's the number that cause is the response as much as it is an individual reaction to the number, Like you know, I might because I'm that person, Like, well, I don't spiral, but yeah, I've got to do rock bottom ten thousand steps a day. Of course I don't have to.
Speaker 2: I choose to.
Speaker 1: But for me, for the most part, that works and there's no anxiety or shame around it. But I think I can totally understand this. But I you know, this is where I think it's like that intersection of having kind of rules if you want, or structure or processes that work for you, but also not beating yourself up. If you don't hit your KPI every.
Speaker 2: Day, you know, you don't how bad it is with me. Sometimes I got one for Fritz, my dog, So I had a GPS tracker on him, and then I was tracking every day how much exercise he was doing.
Speaker 1: You have got issues, you got so are you? Are you tracking your dog's steps per day?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's wrong with you.
Speaker 1: His legs are only fucking four inches long. Give him a break. He's like, every time you go and you do a five thousand step walk, he's done seventy two thousand steps. Because you're a fucking giant compared to him, and that's saying something.
Speaker 2: It does sound a little obsessive, doesn't it. No. I got it specifically because it as a GPS built into it. And it means when we go hiking, because I like to have him off lee and he loves running around and exploring the world in general and chasing things. But it also means that I can find him. So if he goes wandering off in the bush and I want to find where he is, I can easily use my GPS tracker on him.
Speaker 1: Patrick cracks his dogs steps and do you ever have a talk to him if he doesn't get enough steps in? Do you kind of tell him he's getting a bit thick around the middrift.
Speaker 2: I just take him out from of a walk or Agett's toy out and we run around on the lounge room playing fetch.
Speaker 1: Can we jump into something non biological and psychological seeing as we're around twenty minutes around twenty minutes from the finished line, So you just take up wherever you want to take up.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, okay, I know there's still a lot of people out there. In fact, it's thought there might be as many as about eighty four percent of people who are potentially listening to this who are still running Windows ten. So just recently Microsoft ended support for Windows ten, which means that you're not going to be getting any security updates. But there's a real disconnect there because Microsoft basically came to an end of life of that version of Windows and eventually software is going to run out. But the problem for a lot of people is what do we do now? So there isn't opt in where you can get an extra twelve months of support and you go into your settings area and from settings you're able to see whether or not that's going to be offered to you. That's only just rolling out in Australia now, so on some computers it will be there. You just hit the little Windows icon and then go to the settings cog. There's a little cog there and then you can go in there and click on that and then it gives you, you know, basically the system information to tell you whether you can either go to Windows eleven. But a lot of people won't be able to because they're hardware or the computer itself won't be compatible with the latest version. And that's a real problem because it could mean potentially, you know, billions of dollars having to be spent to replace computers. And I know in my office I've got two computers that are running Windows ten. But the real concern is that for those people that's such a high percentage of people now who potentially are now got a machine that could be vulnerable. Because when Microsoft rolls out these what they call patches to fix potential threats or exploit on a computer, you can't do that if you're running Windows two unless you opt into this program to hopefully be able to. In some cases you need to have a subscription and you might have to pay, but in some it might be free for the next twelve months. But it is worth looking into to make sure that you're not just taking for granted that your computer is working, because you know there's stuff going on in the back going on them.
Speaker 1: That's a that's a Melissa job on Planet Craig. That's a lesser responsibility. I want to hear about the twenty thousand dollars home robot that can learn chores via teleopera. That seems like an expensive robot. It'd want to be amazing.
Speaker 2: The X one Neo, it's about to come out next year. Look I'm in two minds about this.
Speaker 1: But are you dyslexic because on my thing it says one X neo.
Speaker 2: Oh it is the one X. Now I am numbers I'm actually a little bit number dyslexic. I never I'm terrible with writing numbers down. I tend to mix the numbers up.
Speaker 1: But I always think I was wondering whether or not you've got it verbally wrong or you wrote it wrong. Is it the one X?
Speaker 2: It is the one X, the one X neo. You're right, that's twenty k us as well. So if you want to buy one here in Australia, it's cost a lot more than.
Speaker 1: That three hundred grand in Australia.
Speaker 2: That yeah. But the thing is they're doing pre orders now and it is a human like robot. But for the first few months it's going to be person operated by someone at head office.
Speaker 1: Fuck that somebody is going to be somebody's going to be looking through bloody one X Neo's eyes and watching me put on my jocks. I don't want that. Hey, yeah, I'm going to have to put a bag over one X Neo's head. You know all about that. No, so the reason But enough about our Saturday, go on, go for it.
Speaker 2: No, the thing is they're using AI learning with the robot, and they're saying that every place is different, every situation is different, and if you want it to learn, the best way is to have a human operator perform those tasks, and they're helping the robot learn, so eventually you won't need the human operator. You will be able to turn that feature on and off. By the way, so you can use when you go to bed not to have your one X neo wandering around your house creepy with.
Speaker 1: That super creepy super Imagine you wake up and that motherfucker is just leaning over the bed looking into your face. I'm like, oh my god, go and get me a hot chocolate.
Speaker 2: On the flip side, would you get a job as a teleoperator to walk around someone's house.
Speaker 1: No, I don't even know how that works. So you are saying to me, this is like humanoid, Like it's in the shape of it's not a little it's not like R two D two. It's actually like got legs and arms. It's like a human.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, and it's coming out shipping next to you.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's you know. I don't want one of those. I definitely don't want one of those. Tell me why AI chatbots could be accelerating the loneliness epidemic, And might I say before Patrick answers this everyone, there's a huge correlation we now know between loneliness and illness and social disconnection and illness and feeling unloved and all of that. And so this for me is a really interesting kind of conversation. So AI chatbots could be accelerating the loneliness epidemic according to new research.
Speaker 2: And this is in Australia, and this was a you guv survey that found one in seven adults here in Australia say that they can imagine falling in love with an AI chatbot.
Speaker 1: One seven did you say?
Speaker 2: Seven reckon that they could fall in love with an AI chatbot. And some say that they'd rather stay at home and speak with a chatbot than go out and interact with friends.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing about your chatbot, right, And so with chatbot, we're just talking about things like chat GPT or.
Speaker 2: You have a human like face and look like you know that if they appear on your phone and they look like an actual person, you can interact with and.
Speaker 1: Talk to so you know, the funny thing is I wouldn't do that myself, but I value this is not the right, but if we're just humanizing the language, I value the opinion of like chat GPT and it's like, who would have thought that? Even in twenty twenty five, it's at a point where you can have comfortably have a conversation with it, where you're just going back and forth. You're asking it question. It's questions. It's asking you questions. And I'm saying, I've got an idea for a workshop. This is the escent, this is the nuts and bolts idea. What do you think? Like, what are the pros and cons of this concept? And it's like hey, Creek Greek question right, And then we just I'm like, yeah, but what if I did this? Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, Like literally it's a conversation that's then written down and if I want to go back, I can. Yeah, go on, you got your fingers.
Speaker 2: I'm going to ask you a question I want you to think about before you answer this. Okay, no shooting at the hip. I want you to think about this. If I came around to your place tomorrow and I said I'm going to flip the switch and you will never be able to use AI ever again. Yes, how would you feel to not have because if it feels to me when we talk about this, it feels to me like you've got a relationship forming between you and your AI.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, not in that sense at all. For me, it's just the most amazing fucking resource I've had to be able to get stuff done and do stuff like. There's no emotional attachment other than like to me, it's just a really really valuable resource to be able to get stuff done and to accelerate productivity and efficiency. So I don't talk to it for emotional support or no.
Speaker 2: But earlier in the show, you said you like the affirmations it gives you. Of course, question crank.
Speaker 1: Course, you know that's look I mean when it tells me how smart I am. You know I'm going to say, of course, But would I be disappointed? Very? But not because of that, Like I'm well aware that I'm not talking to a human. I'm well aware that I'm talking to AI. You know, there's no there's no delusion on my part. But what I do like is that whether or not we call it a conversation because it's not between two humans is we'll put an asterisk next to that. But for all intents and purposes, conversation back and forth between two entities, one of them biological, one of them technological is happening. And I think this, this biological technological interface. Do you like that, Patrick? I mean that's only evolving and only accelerating, And in ten years from now, people are going to be like, well, of course, of course people are marrying tech. Of course people are in relationships with a of course. It's like, it's not even going to be a weird thing.
Speaker 2: I just looked up the definition of conversation, just out of curiosity. It's a talk, especially an informal one, between two or more people, in which news and ideas are exchanged. Now it's people is the emphasis, But ideas being exchanged when you're asking chat shept or whatever you're he'sing claude or chat chap is both.
Speaker 1: I use chatters. But also you have to think, well, somebody wrote that definition, that definition will be rewritten, like just because that's what somebody defines, that doesn't mean anything. That doesn't mean that it can't be It's like, yeah, it's when people go, oh it takes fucking thirty days to change a habit. No it doesn't. No, it doesn't. And just because you say that doesn't mean what are we talking? Are we talking giving up sugar or getting off heroine? You know which person? We're like, people just say these arbitrary things that are not not universally true but generally speaking. That's why I said it's I put an asterisk next to the word conversation.
Speaker 2: All right, moving on, moving on, moving on, What's what do you want to talk about?
Speaker 1: I want to talk about why raw milk? Like, have you ever have you ever noticed the like, there are a lot of people that are that, add I'm not one of them. Everybody, so don't misinterpret what I'm saying. But a lot of people advocate the consumption of raw milk, and so I could be wrong, but I think the way that people get around selling this is you can't sell it for consumption because it hasn't been homogenized and parturized if they're the two terms, and so they are selling it as something that people bathe in. So they yeah, that's the technical like, that's the loophole, and it's like, this is not for human consumption. This is for whatever, but people buy it. My understanding is people buy it to drink it, but you can't technically sell it as a food, so they have this little loophole where they sell it for people to bathe in. But yeah, it's like it's there's a fair bit of curiosity and traction around this.
Speaker 2: The big problem with social media and trending social media is that the algorithm just wants to push a story out for no other reason than the fact that people are looking at it and it's trending, not because it's accurate, and that's a concern. So when someone sees, oh, I drink raw milk every day and it's going to keep me looking younger, well, the problem with that is and this is trending a lot of the moment to the points where health experts around Australia are raising the alarm over this because content creators are putting all this misinformation out about raw milk and saying how much of it it's that is a health food and it's not because pasteurization. That process of pasteurizing milk is where it's heat treated, and that's where it kills all the bad pathogens, all the bad bacteria that's in milk that is raw, and so people are getting really sick. And I think in Florida recently twenty one people got sick and they got an E. Coli bacteria and some people were hospitalized after they had raw milk from a dairy over there. And the reality of it is that you know, once upon a time, if you were a journalist, and I know I've said this many times, you had to check your sources. You wouldn't run a story until you knew that the source was accurate. You got both sides of the story. But now these people are talking and trend and they in some cases all they want is more clicks anyway, So whatever the misinformation they're putting out there isn't about its accuracy. It's about how popular they can become.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, so yeah. Another story that interests me in the most policed state in probably the world in terms of traffic infringements, is the latest mobile phone and seat belt detection camera locations for Melbourne and Victoria have been mapped. Like I this is a quick story, thirty second story. I bought a new car a few years ago, which was quite a fast car. I drove down to the Peninsula an hour down an hour back, I lost eight points. I lost eight points in two hours of driving because there's something like between my joint and Portsy, there's something. I don't have a house in Portsy, by the way, I just went there, but there's something like a fucking nine thousand. I don't know how many, but there's just it's just an overlap, and I was doing like one hundred and six. And anyway, great, my fault, We're my fault. I accept it. I accept it. I'm not saying I'm not saying I didn't do the wrong thing. Go on, anyway, tell us about this.
Speaker 2: I don't tell you a story about my dad who doesn't listen to the show, so I can get away with this. So he was bitching about getting a speeding fine, and he said to me, so he's driving down South Street, a place where near he lives, and he got a speeding ticket and was really crappy. And then on the way back he got another one because he was speeding in exactly the same place but going in the opposite direction. And he was really kind of getting dirty on it and saying it's just revenue raising. But there's a really easy way not to get a ticket. Don't speed, yeah, oh yeah, you know, and everyone's saying at the table, oh yeah, I know, you know, the revenue raising it. And I looked around at everybody who were kind of can die well, you know, consoling him for getting two speeding tickets within.
Speaker 1: Half an hour, and I said, are you going to be kidding me?
Speaker 2: Just don't speed. It's really easy. I mean, I've got to say I only ever had one speeding ticket in my whole life, and that was going to the funeral of someone who died in a car accident. So that was probably the dumbest, dumbest thing overdone because I was speeding to get to a funeral. That don't ever speed to get to a funeral. Just turn up late.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think. I don't think you need to speed to a funeral.
Speaker 2: By the way, she's a funeral. Say that again, Magda, And she's one of our listeners who specializes in doing funerals.
Speaker 1: What about this cola ko h l E r unveils a camera for your toilet? What does that mean? Patrick? For God's sake, I hope that camera is not in the toilet it is.
Speaker 2: This is something that both you hit it to get what.
Speaker 1: What do you mean there's a camera at waterline facing your ass.
Speaker 2: No. No, it sits on the rim of the toilet and it points to the pooh. It points down.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, fuck, let's rush out and get one of those and all right, this so it can analyze your fecal matter and give you some kind of real time Yes, you know that is amazing and disgusting all at the same time.
Speaker 2: It's called the Dakoda and it analyzes the images of your pooh to provide updates on your gut health, your hydration. It may potentially detect blood. Thank you to the Federal government. I got my letty yesterday to tell me I'm due for a bell scream. By the way, while I.
Speaker 1: Think of speaking of pooh, yeah, no, hey everyone, we hope you're enjoying your brecky.
Speaker 2: Isn't it funny when you're turn fifty in Australia you get a letter from the federal government telling them that they're going to check on your pooh, you know, because they're calling around with the tax department and now they do a crawling around with the Health department anyway.
Speaker 1: But do they do that anywhere else in the world.
Speaker 2: I hope. So I'd like to think they do. You've done the Pooce screen.
Speaker 1: Do you do that every Yeah? I did it a few years ago. I probably due for another one. So with someone with dodgy eyesight and deteriorating eyesight, I might say, I'm I'm encouraged by this one. Experts hail remarkable success of electronic implant in restoring sight. Yes, that's good. That's gotta be good news for some people.
Speaker 2: It certainly is. No, it's one of the most common problems obviously as we age is the fact that you know, we near glasses or our vision becomes compromised. But it's believed now that they can insert a very tiny electrode and it can assist in you know, basically clearing up the vision for people as they get older. This is amazing, and we're talking about people who are almost going legally blind. These are tests that have been done on people who have got to a point where their macular degeneration has got to a point where they physically very struggling to see, and after reversing, you know, with this procedure, they're able to read again. Now that's pretty phenomenal because for a lot of people as they get older and they become more infirmed, they can't get around. They take a look at in reading, like physically holding a book and reading and not to be able to do that or even look at a computer screen or whatever it happens to be. So this is pretty revolutionary and it could you know that it will change people's lives. It can go for that little bit longer, and in this case reversing potentially reversing blindness in people. It's phenomenal.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The stuff they can do with thighs is life changing. I had not last year, the year before twenty twenty three, middle of the year, my eyesight was so bad and I went to an optometrist or a whatever they ophthalmologist are they that they might be a bit more doctory. Anyway, the lady, she was brilliant. She's like, okay, so good news we can fix that. Bad news is you're going to be blind in that eye, blind by Christmas. This was if you don't have the surgery. I'm like, oh, well, let's do the surgery. And she said, by the way, I hope you didn't drive here, and I went, no, of course I didn't drive here. She's like I don't want to know if you drive here, And of course I didn't drive everyone, I jogged there. But yeah, so I had the surgery on my right eye, and yeah, brand new, brand new, but my left eye. I was born with a weird left eye, like a turn in my left eye, which then got straightened. But the vision vision out of my right eye good, like really good left eye. Shit. So if you ever want to, you know, punch me in the face, come from the left side, no self, Patrick, How can people connect with you and find you and you know, support the cause that is you me?
Speaker 2: Just go to websites now, dot com, dot au and I think I've mentioned this a few times. If you want us to talk about something tech related, I mean, we're getting close to Christmas, Craig, you might need a bit of a list of things. Although that what is it? The one exit who might be good to put on my Christmas card list? A robot for my home.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, we operate it.
Speaker 2: So I wake up with you leaning over looking at me. That'd be worth it, wouldn't it. For the twenty I can imagine you leaning over looking at me. God, that'd be worse than the humanoid robot mate we'll see you next time. Appreciate you, Thank you, always look forward to it.