Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, well, you're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with doct Esmina, an incredible integrative GP, and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit v three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more. This is Healthy Heir with Amelia Phillips and Welcome to this month's Ask Me Anything episode, where I get to answer your fabulous questions that you've sent me either over email or DM on Instagram or Facebook.
Speaker 2: Today, I'm going to.
Speaker 1: Be answering some questions on magnesium supplementation on inflammation and the top ways to lower it, and how I personally get my one hundred grams or so of protein per day.
Speaker 2: But before we dive into those lovely.
Speaker 1: Questions, a few quick life updates from me. My book manuscript is so close to being done dot dir Esmina and I have been working around the clock to get this manuscript submitted and I'm hoping that by the time this lovely episode goes live.
Speaker 2: It will actually be submitted.
Speaker 1: It's so so close, and we are so excited to deliver it to the publisher and then eventually get it out on the shelves. And don't worry, you will be the first to know once we have a published date locked in. Very very exciting, but oh my goodness, my first book. I underestimated the emotional and physical load that it takes to write a book, but I have loved the process. Another really interesting thing that's happened in the last month is my podcast episode with Lisa Curry last month on perimenopause and its impact on relationships and mental health.
Speaker 2: It went viral. Can you believe it? I've gone viral? Baby.
Speaker 1: It was picked up by about eight different publications. It really struck a chord. The Instagram grab that I posted on my feed about the episode went viral as well, and as a result, it was picked up by you know, Daily Telegraph, Daily Mail, Mama Mia, all the big newspapers. And what I found really interesting about this episode going viral number one, I was surprised that it did. But number two was the responses and reactions of the comments on some of these publications. Let me just read a couple of them out to you. They were really divisive. So of course there were lots and lots of super supportive comments because Lisa Curry basically said in the episode that she believes that perimenopause and her lack of understanding and education around it was a big driver in her divorce with Grant Kenny. And she was so open and honest and vulnerable in the episode. I mean, we both cried. We spoke about her poor daughter Jamie and her struggle and eventual passing via suicide, and we also spoke about some pretty nasty domestic violence potential incidences as well. She was just so open and honest. It was one of the most incredible interviews. But then to see the divisiveness of the comments that came out. It just made me realize that we still have such a long way to go when it comes to education around perimenopause. And look, it's great to have these conversations, but let me read a couple of the interesting comments to you. So one of the early ones was, my wife went through this and never questioned our relationship.
Speaker 2: That's a you problem.
Speaker 1: Then another guy wrote, perimenopause, Oh, for f's sake, get a grip. Then another one just a cop out. Sounds like a lot of emotional immaturity. Then another one hasn't had her Saturday sausage. I'm not quite sure what that one meant. And then this one from David. I did have a giggle. David, my wife went through ten years of this being a total feral bitch, but she's my feral bitch. And then a love heart, and I thought, oh, good on you, David. It was so interesting reading these comments and how divisive people are.
Speaker 2: And I guess, of course.
Speaker 1: Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and everyone's experience of perimenopause is so unique to them. But I think it's important to know that the research is alarming that perimenopausal women have a forty percent higher risk of depression than any other life stage. Like that's huge, Almost fifty percent higher risk of depression than any other life stage, and over sixty percent of perimenopausal women experience depressive symptoms, again the highest of any life stage for a woman, and it is also the life stage that has the highest rate of suicide. So you can see that we are really vulnerable during this period. And so just reading some of those comments just made me realize that there is a lot of lack of understanding of that. I personally feel that way more women suffer in silence and shame than that wrongly blame perimenopause. I mean, you just have to speak to any women's health doctor and they're going to tell you it's almost like an epidemic.
Speaker 2: You know, some of the lucky ones sail.
Speaker 1: Through perimenopause and menopause with you know, no big issues. But as those stats show, many like Lisa don't sail through easily. So if you haven't had to listen to the episode, jump back. It's a couple of episodes before this one, and you know, maybe even jump on some of these publications and read some of the comments, you might be quite surprised. Okay, well that's kind of a bit of a life update from me. I feel like a lot more has been happening. But let's get onto our wonderful questions for the month. So kicking off with Louise Abrams sent me this question over Instagram. She said, there's so many magnesium supplements out there, how do I know which one to choose? Such a great question, Louise, And actually your question reminded me that last month I promised you guys something. I promised you that I would report back with my second magnesium test result, because I'm sure you've just been sitting with baited breath waiting to hear about my magnesium levels now. But you might remember that last month I said, I had my annual big blood test done, as I do the same blood test that we do with our members. But last blood test, I decided to get a really novel and innovative second magnesium test. It's called a red cell magnesium blood test. So I got them both tested at the exact same time. So serum magnesium, which is the common one that most of us get tested, it's usually in your bone health markers. But then I also had this red cell magnesium, which the results hadn't come in. Took a bit longer for the results to come in, so interestingly, both results were different, and I thought this might have been the case. So my serum magnesium was on the low normal side, so imagine the green bar. It was kind of in that bottom twenty percent. It was zero point seven six millimoles per liter low normal. But my red cell magnesium was one point eight two millimole which is the middle range. It was like literally smack bang in the middle. So the difference between these two. So serum magnesium, which is the most common one that you've probably got in one of your blood tests, measures magnesium circulating in the liquid part of your blood. So it's the test that your doctors usually order. It's the most widely used and researched magnesium test. So the second one, the more novel one that I got. This red cell magnesium or RBC magnesium, measures a magnesium inside your red blood cells. And the idea is that because most magnesium is stored inside cells and tissues rather than in the bloodstream, it might provide a better picture of what's happening at a cellular level. So interestingly, both my results came back quite different, and so then I kind of nerded out for a day and really dug into the research. I kind of assumed that the RBC one was going to be the more accurate one, but actually what really came back is that neither test is perfect. So the sera magnesium, which is the common one, has actually the strongest evidence based. It's standardized, it's widely available, It's a test used in most medical research. However, because the body works really hard to keep blood and magnesium levels stable, sera magnesium can sometimes appear normal even when the tissue stores are depleted. On the other hand, the RBC magnesium, the more novel one, is kind of biologically appealing because it measures magnesium inside the cells, but it's less standardized, it had a lot less research behind it. It hasn't been definitively proven to be a superior serum than the serum magnesium.
Speaker 2: So where does this leave us.
Speaker 1: I've basically done a one eighty and I'm sticking to my serum magnesium, and interestingly, for me, mine was low normal. So it is an indication that it's highly likely that my magnesium levels are insufficient because even in that serum one my levels were low normal, Okay, so I wouldn't bother getting that RBC. It's expensive, it takes a lot longer. Just stick to the serum. It's the best we've got. So anyway, getting onto Louise's question, and I'm listening to this Louise because I need to up my intake. So when it comes to magnesium, obviously we want a food first approach, but soils in Australia are quite deficient in magnesium. So even if you are eating lots of magnesium rich foods, sometimes you're just not hitting that RDI for magnesium. The other thing to consider is if you are eating a highly stressful, busy or physically active life, you will be burning through your magnesium levels and depleting the stores a lot faster than somebody who has a bit more of a slower lifestyle. So just bear that in mind. That URDI recomend daily intake of three hundred and twenty milligrams a day might actually be quite low for you. You might need close to double that. So if you wanted to get that three twenty milligrams a day of magnesium, what does that look like in real food? Well, it would be three tablespoons of pumpkin seeds. Yeah, pumpkin seeds or pepeda seeds are really really high in magnesium, so you should always have those in your cupboard. Three tablespoons of pumpkin seeds, one cup of cooked spinach, half a cup of chickpeas, and two squares of dark chocolate like lint dark chocolate. That would be your RDI for magnesium. So it sounds pretty doable, right, but just bear in mind the fact that if the soil quality isn't good from those foods, those levels might be a little bit overestimated. And also if you're busy or stressed, then you might be burning through those stores a lot faster. So if you want to supplement with magnesium, there are many different forms available and it can be really confusing. So I'm going to chat briefly about the three main forms of magnesium that you might want to consider, and then I'll give my top recommendations and brands.
Speaker 2: So if you suspect you have.
Speaker 1: Low magnesium because of muscle based symptoms, so you've got cramps, you've got twitching, or you know you're doing a lot of heavy weight training, maybe you've dialed up your strength training, or you know, when you're sitting there and you can feel like a little muscle in your eye start to twitch, like sometimes I get one in my butt cheek, it just like starts to twitch, or maybe you get restless legs. So for that more muscle relief, then the form of magnesium that has been shown to help is magnesium citrate, and magnesium site trate is also good for constipation, So if you do suffer with that, I would recommend magnesium citrate. And the brand I recommend for this is called Bioceuticals Ultra Night Musclees.
Speaker 2: It's a powder.
Speaker 1: And you take one scoop of the powder after four PM in water. You can have any time up until bedtime. And I quite like it as well because it's got quite a nice sweet flavor. So if you're like me and you struggle with those after dinner sweet cravings, I feel like that kind of ticks the box for me. So Bioceuticals Ultra Night musclees for those muscle based magnesium low magnesium symptoms. All right, the second form of magnesium that I'd like to talk about is called magnesium glycinate, and so this is great if you've got sleep issues, bit of anxiety or stress related symptoms. Magnesium glycinate has been shown to be most effective for those symptoms. And so the brand what I love for this is a brand called Designs for Health Try mag RESTful Night. I really like the formulation. I like the lemonade flavor. The chocolate favor flavor is gross, but a lemonade flavor I really really like. Again, one scoop in water anytime after four pm. It's probably a little bit sweeter than the Ultra Night musclees, but I have had a lot of great feedback from our members that it really has helped with their sleep and just settling them at night. So that one's a very very popular one as well. And then we've got for brain health cognitive function, not as common but still some really strong research behind it. Is a type of magnesium called magnesium theonate. So the brand I like for this is also a Designs for Health product, and it's literally called Magnesium the inate, and you gain you just have one scoop after four pm. I mean, they're all magnesium. They're all going to help. If you're not sure where to start, I would say the best feedback I've got is probably the middle one, the trimag RESTful Night by Designs for Health. And I don't know if that's because most of my ladies, you know, it's sleep and anxiety and stress that really is the big one. But if you're not sure where to start, I'd probably start with that one. But you can mix the three up and use up one tub and then move on to the next and see which one agrees.
Speaker 2: With you better.
Speaker 1: So, Louise, I hope that answers your question about magnesum. We've got three products to try and let me know how you go. Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, well, you're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three point sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with dot Diasmina, an incredible integrative GP and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients?
Speaker 2: Because when you.
Speaker 1: Understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit V three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more. Next question comes from Kate Harvey over email. Hi, Kate, Amelia, I loved your recent email on inflammation. Yes, that was a juicy one, wasn't it. I have often wondered if I have it? I think she means if I have high inflammation, if I don't have pain or obvious symptoms, How do I know if inflammation is affecting my health and what other most effective things I can do to lower it. Such a great question because chronic inflammation is one of the biggest drivers of aging and disease, and yet many people don't realize it's happening because it can be really silent. I can't tell you how many ladies we've tested that come up with these patterns of inflammation and just had no idea that they had them. Now, unlike the inflammation that you get when you roll your ankle or sprain your ankle, and you see that ankle blow up like a big ball, you can't get your shoe on, or if you have an infection, chronic low grade inflammation can simmer away quietly for years and years. Researchers even have a name for this chronic low grade inflammation. They actually call it inflammating, and that's because it's this combination of inflammation that then drives up cellular aging. Inflammaging what a word. So it can show up as the symptoms, those really broad annoying symptoms that could be anything like fatigue, grain fog, achy joints, skin flare ups, digestive issues, stubborn weight, especially around the middle. But then there can sometimes be no obvious symptoms at all. Sometimes the only clue comes from testing markers like high sensitivity CRP, and I do highly recommend getting tested. We test three main markers, including that high sensitivity CRP. That's a great place to start. The reason that inflammation matters so much is that it can damage cells over time. It impairs mitochondrial function, it accelerates biological aging, and increases the risk of those chronic conditions we hear about all the time, like heart disease, type two diabetes, dementia and even some cancers. But the great news is, and why I love working with inflammation, is it's really highly responsive to our daily habits. So really, when someone comes to me wanting to lower their inflammation levels, I always start with diet because there's two massive levers we can pull with our diet. Number one is dialing down all the pro inflammatory triggers in our diet, and the second one is dialing up all the wonderful anti inflammatory foods. And often the combination of those two levers and pulling them at the same time. Switching out the pro inflammatory foods and replacing them with some anti inflammatory foods has such a fast and amazing impact on those inflammatory markers that we have tested. So I always recommend starting here. And I think you know the culprits, you know, pulling out the pro inflammatory foods. Of course, all those junk foods and those ultra process and those cheap foods like the fast foods. But the sneaky ones are the foods that we kind of think of as healthy, like the highly processed breads, the wraps, anything that's got that really refined flower in it can be pro inflammatory. So pulling those out you know, biscuits, cakes, croissants, pasta, just any foods that have had a lot of refining take place. Pull those out. And then of course those packet foods, particularly when they've got a shelf life of longer than two years, then you want to pull those out. And then you want to dial up those amazing anti inflammatory foods, you know, the ones that I want to see in your cupboard all the time and your fridge. Berries, all those dark reds purples really really powerful, from beetroot to plums to berries. Extra virgin olive oil, try to really mostly cook with that. Avocado oil is great as well. You know, a little bit of applesid of vinegar before carbohydrate rich meals can really help as well, particularly to keep those blood sugar levels down, because the less blood sugar spikes, the less inflammation there will be. And you've got all those great herbs and spices, so garlic, ginger, turmeric, cercumen, so diets a huge one there. Then we've got other factors as well, such as managing your stress levels. Not enough exercises pro inflammatory, and overtraining if you're an elite athlete can be pro inflammatory as well. So just hitting that sweet spot and then ironically, you know stress management, so social connection, laughter.
Speaker 2: Joy also can allow your inflammation levels.
Speaker 1: But really, if you just want a really simple place to start, Kate, it's all about your diet and really focusing on pulling those two levers. I just said, it makes a really big difference.
Speaker 2: If I had to.
Speaker 1: Pick one thing that most influences how well we age and our future health and how good we feel day to day, it is keeping that inflammation under control that really is at the top of the list for me. So good on you, Kate for asking the question and focusing on your inflammation. Okay, and our final question from Debrah Hoskins DMed me on Instagram. Hi, Amelia, I saw your posts on how to get more protein in just wondering what works for you personally. Still really struggling to up my protein.
Speaker 2: Thanks. It's funny.
Speaker 1: It wasn't until I really took a good hard look at how much protein I was having in my diet. I realized that I was not getting nearly enough and it needed some more focus and intention. And I'm a nutritionist, so I was thinking to myself, how does everyone else do it? Who is as obsessed with food and nutrition? As I am so Deborah. Look, first of all, don't obsess too much about protein. It's one of many really important nutrients, including fibar, healthy fats, carbohydrates, and it can get really boring if you're going to be counting your calories and tracking your macros. But I can tell you that when I did really pay close attention to my protein levels just for a little while, I realized firstly that I was definitely underdosing, and secondly, I do feel so much better for up in my protein. So I just say track it and manage it with some flexibility and not getting to obsessed, is my message to you, my friend. All right, So how do I personally do it? What I do is, first of all, I wake up very early to train, and I do train fastest. I always have, I always will, doesn't matter if it's strength or cardio, it's just what agrees with me at that time of.
Speaker 2: The day, which is super super early.
Speaker 1: So as soon as I get back from the gym, I will straight away have a protein shake with water and that's got thirty grounds of protein and I just happen to put my creatine in that as well, So literally just powder water shake and bake, drink it straight away. So that's my thirty grounds of protein. And then I'm busy doing kids and getting kids ready for school, and I don't eat for another probably our hour and a half. And then once the house is empty, or sometimes I go to a cafe. I do a lot of cafe meetings. I'll eat out at a cafe. I have a whole bunch of breakfasts on rotation. If we're talking about breakfast at home. The three that I have kind of studied and trapped the macros, so I know that I'm getting thirty grams of protein. My three go to breakfasts are firstly my smashed avo and so this is literally a piece of Nannies gluten free seedy bread, two eggs, and then I mash with a fork avocado and goats cheese a cube of goats cheese. And I will then spring call what we call Nanny's nuts, which is hilarious. It's my mum roast me pepita seeds, which are those pumpkin seeds I was telling you about. My mum is a little gift. Every month or so she brings me a box of these roasted pepeters. I highly recommend it. They're so so yummy. So we have a little box of Nanny's nuts, so I'll have a couple of tablespoons of those toasted roasted pepitas for my magnesium, and I've worked out that that's thirty grams of protein smashed avo goats, cheese, two eggs on bread. It's huge, it's so filling, it's super filling. And my second breakfast rotation is steel cut oats. I'll mix some protein powder in with that to dial to get up to my thirty grams. Berries, cheese, seed, cinnamon. That's my second one. And then my third one is scrambled eggs with smoked salmon strips. So that's where I'll just you know, slice up thin strips of smoked salmon, mix that through my uscrambled eggs and a piece of Ninnies Seedy gluten free bread. So there my three go to I know I'm getting my thirty grams of protein if I have one of those, so I'm already up to sixty grams and it's not even eleven o'clock yet. Lunch, I'll usually have leftovers from the night before, which is always a high sum form of protein with salad. But if there is no leftovers, then I usually don't have time to cook myself a lunch. So I will then have tin tuna or tinned salmon with cottage cheese. And I know a ninety five gram tin of salmon or tuna plus a massive dollop cottage cheese, I know that is my thirty grams of protein. So I'll literally mix that in with a salad and I just use those really easy salad bags from the supermarket so I don't have to do a lot of chopping. As you can see, I love short cuts. My other go to non cook lunch is the tuna white bean cups lettuce cups, And if you're in any of my programs, this is a really popular recipe on many of my programs. It's those beautiful butter lettuce cups. So those long, yummy lettuce leaves that you can use a bit like a boat, and then I mash butter beans, yogurt, a little bit of dijon, fresh aw dried deal tuna, and a bit of lemon and you literally just spoon it into these lettuce cups. It's so yummy. And again some of Nanni's nuts sprinkled on top. So they're my three lunch go toos that I know have their thirty grams, so now we're up to ninety grams. And then I'll often for afternoon tea have my collagen hot chocolate with some chocolate covered nuts.
Speaker 2: I also will.
Speaker 1: Often make a batch of protein balls that the kids love and I just freeze. I'll have like thirty or forty of them frozen and I'll literally just take one out and after ten minutes it's defrosted, so I'll get a little bit more protein there.
Speaker 2: And then of course we've still got dinner.
Speaker 1: My dinners are very family friendly, Like I am talking the usual Aussie dinners, crumbed chicken, roasted salmon with veggies, slow cooker roast chook, steak, I mean, all all the usuals. Don't do much carbs at dinner, tend to the kids will have, you know, they'll always be a carb. I tend to really dial those down in the evening. That's just what works for me. So there you have it, Debra, as you can see like it. Once you start to focus on it, you can really get to that magic one hundred grams a day. And I know that you know some people say you need zero point seventy five grams per kilo up to one point five some people argue two grams. I think, look, if you're hitting close to that one hundred grams a day, you're probably doing well.
Speaker 2: All right, There we have it, guys.
Speaker 1: I hope you found those questions and answers interesting and helpful. As always, Thanks so much for listening, and I will see you back in the booth very soon.
Speaker 2: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health?
Speaker 1: If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, we're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three point sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take.
Speaker 2: The targeted action needed.
Speaker 1: With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with doctor Asmina, an incredible integrative GP, and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients, because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit V three six zy dot Health or check out the show notes for more