Speaker 1: Let's say how to our next guest here on over.
Speaker 2: Our next guest is a former Formula One team boss and star of the Netflix show Drive to Survive.
Speaker 3: How do some of your season end this year? It's one short world.
Speaker 2: Shit please welcome to the show racing legend Gonta stanay Ry.
Speaker 3: Hello, Hello, hello, hello man? How are you im good? Thank you? Are you? We are excellent?
Speaker 4: Are we talking to you from I'm at home in Charlotte, North Carolina?
Speaker 5: All right, now, I've heard you saying recently in recent weeks that you think Oscar Piastre, our Melbourne boy has a very good.
Speaker 6: Chance of taking out the Australian Grand Prix. Is that right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's correct.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I'm not saying it because you're Australian, you know, I can say it to all outlets as well, because I think he is in a very good position, you know, to win quite a bit this year if it all goes how I think it will go to the McLaren is the best or one of the best cast this year.
Speaker 1: Look, Lawrence, the one actually got me into Formula One. You were on a plane one day and she got me to watch Drive to Survive.
Speaker 5: Which I think has brought a lot of people into the sport that purest F one right.
Speaker 1: Made you're a bloody start.
Speaker 3: I don't know about that.
Speaker 1: The thing I can't get my head around is when there's two drivers for the one team and then a driver will be told, hey, we need your team, we need you to let the other team member go in front win the race. Is that a frustrating Like are you nervous going into a chat over the two way with the drivers when you have to ask them to do that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? What what was it this?
Speaker 4: Normally you make an agreement before the race, if things happen, what you're going to do. And I think sometimes in the season, you know, like what what they predict for this year? Did they let the Lando and Tosca start off?
Speaker 3: The battlement wins?
Speaker 4: But after a certain point, and normally that point it's around there some when there is a two week break for everybody, when they come back and there's a chance to win the World championship, you need normally to focus on one guy if one of your opponents is close by, so that is what you do. But even if you agree it before the race, when you have to say it in the race, to let somebody buy or do not stay in the way.
Speaker 3: It's never an easy call. Good.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know you spoke about Oscar being a potential winner of the Australian Grand Pray, the Melbourne Grand Pray. Is he a potential world champion?
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely, and I mean he showed that last year because London August is obviously one of the best drivers out there in the moment, and he sometimes beats him.
Speaker 3: You know, it's a big competition between them.
Speaker 4: Sometimes one is better than the other one, but it's not like that London is dominating Oscar. Oscar sometimes was faster than London.
Speaker 5: And we've also got Jack Douan coming in this year's son of Mick Dooan. He's making his F one day, Bob, how's hey looking as a young upcoming driver.
Speaker 3: I think he did pretty well in F two.
Speaker 4: He never won the championship, but you know, in F two, if you're not in the right team at time, like also Formula one, you're not gonna win.
Speaker 3: But I think he's done well. He has one have two races.
Speaker 4: Obviously when you come into one it's a big step up again, you know, so, but he has got a big opportunity and teaser a very experienced razor. I think he's got a good chance. I think he has got enough time to show how good he is and to and to earn his his seat and f one.
Speaker 2: What's it like being good to? Jay said before about how popular you are, and he's right. We see you at Albert Park waving, high fiving, signing autographs.
Speaker 6: You are like a Drive Rocks style I walk around like a rock star.
Speaker 2: What's it like? And do you love it? Because you've become so popular in the wake of Drive to Survive.
Speaker 4: It's something which came unexpected for me. I didn't work for this, you know, but it's good and you can give something back to people. I think Motorsport done next year is forty years that I work in. Motorsport has given a lot of a lot of things to me in my life. You know, it just happened.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: It wasn't like when all of us sudden I got more known in the world. It was like I achieved something. No, it happened. Then now I have to deal with it. But you know, there's worse things to deal with it than that's more yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, But some of the f one team principles, Like you guys admittedly are rock stars when it comes to F one now, but there's a few little bit that are a bit happier with themselves than others. Would you say, like, there's your Christian horn? Is there all these big characters? Do any of them take themselves a bit too seriously?
Speaker 3: I don't think it's still a sport.
Speaker 4: You know, we're having a good life and we are not changing the world. I would say, you know, obvious if you give entertainment, and I'm aware of that, it's entertainment. It's not changing the world. So you know, I don't take myself serious. And some people you're not all the same.
Speaker 3: That is a good thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, some love the attention more than others.
Speaker 1: Right, GOTU Is there something that would be surprised to find out about you? Like you're a bad driver? Do you take two hours to change a tire on the track?
Speaker 3: No, there's nothing really be surprising to me.
Speaker 4: Very normal drive. I can drive, but I'm not a raised care rival by no means. And i can change a die by the way, Oh yeahs than.
Speaker 6: Any of us can.
Speaker 1: And habit if someone's filling up me petro to start yelling at him, quicker, quicker, I leave them.
Speaker 5: You know, we're just a few wakes out from the Australian Formula one Grand Prex. How does the Australian Grand Prex compared to others in the world. I mean, Monco looks spectacular, but here in Melbourne we put on a pretty good show.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, And it's the first race, which is always nice to be because your hopes are up. You know, you've got energy, you want to go back racing, so it's a natural drive. But also people love to go there because the fans. I mean you can see if you go to places and there's not I don't think there are really any place anymore where the people don't care about their phone. But then in Australia, for sure people care and theynomic you know, and that makes people happy, That makes the rivals happy, makes all the all the team members happy, the mechanics because they see that they come here and give people what they want, you know.
Speaker 3: So it's always a cool place to be. Normally normally is good as well.
Speaker 2: Normally for a long time good to There's been a debate here in Melbourne Day Race, Twilight Race, Night race. Would you like to see a night race at Albert Park. No.
Speaker 4: I think albert Park how it is, it's very good, you know, I think it's it's it's very good. I mean you could do it that night, but there's enough night races now and Albert Park was always a day race, so why change it? I mean, people love it like it is, People come along, people watch it on TV. So I wouldn't change Albert Bank Albert Pike to night race.
Speaker 5: Okay, you said Oscar Piastre may win. Who else will we say? On the podium in Melbourne?
Speaker 6: Do you think? What's your prediction?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: For me, the favorites this here are the McLarens and the Ferraris, so I think that will be the podium, you know, but it will be so close this year, that's my prediction, between the big four McLaren Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull. So not half percent sure, but I think it's the d mclargen and Ferrag will be the best. So we'll see. I would think to mclargens and one Ferrag and they built him.
Speaker 6: And Lewis Hamilton at Ferrari this year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's pretty cool though, I mean everybody talks about it, and obviously yes, a lot to the level now because there's a big anticipation for him to do well and he's a good drival. But you know it's I take my hat off to him making that change so late in his career to change team.
Speaker 5: It does seem like a dream combo though. I was saying, Louis Hamilton Drive for Ferrari will.
Speaker 1: Be as good as a holiday Hei going to We can't wait to say when you get to Melbourne. And also the live show will put the ticket details up on our socials. Make swing past the studio when you get to Melbourne. We'd love to see in person.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much. I have a try to do it. Lauren Lauren Wake God's Feeling Good on No.
Speaker 5: One hundred Lauren on Socials