Speaker 1: Lately the general.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Late Bay.
Speaker 3: Well, thanks for joining us on this historic night. I'm James Macpherson with Liz Storer and Caleb Bond.
Speaker 2: Well, against all odds, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, they tried to bankrupt him, they tried to jail him, they even tried to kill him, not once, but twice, and yet Donald Trump has been elected the forty seventh president of the United States. I can imagine those on the left have already started epic meltdowns. Will bring you some of the hilarious hysteria in just a moment. But of course, Trump not only won the electoral College, he also won the popular votes. So for all those who were upset by the result, there were far more who were thrilled when the announcement came through. That's not exactly the way the result was communicated, but you get the idea. And now we're going to go live to the US in just a moment. But first, Caleb, you're getting into the spirit of the evening.
Speaker 4: Mate, why not? What a time to be alive? What a day in history. Seriously, if of all the days to celebrate, this is absolutely one of them. Because you know what, like the left said, like Oprah Winfrey. All these people are saying democracy was on the ballot, and you know what, Americans chose democracy today and I love it.
Speaker 2: And Liz, of course, you are very very happy with this result.
Speaker 5: This is every Christmas, every Birthday rolled into one and presented with a bow. But I've got to say, my Trump hat dates back to twenty twenty.
Speaker 6: You're new to the fault.
Speaker 5: I've had more people spit in my coffee.
Speaker 2: Shopped on the last moment. Unbelievable.
Speaker 3: All right, let's go live to the US where our guest is political commentator Stephen Hendrix, who's a former public official and diplomat with the Obama, the Trump and the Biden administrations. Stephen, thanks so much for joining us tonight. I just want to get a sense from you. I mean, this is no ordinary election result, is it. Many people are saying this is perhaps the most incredible political comeback of all time. Is that exaggeration or is that pretty accurate?
Speaker 1: Well, I think we were on a knife sedge fifty to fifty for a number of months. This could have gone either way. And when the Biden campaign, when Joe Biden had his presidential debate that was so disastrous I think the Democrats did. They scrambled, they substituted candidates, and they made a run for it. But you really have to chip your hat to Donald Trump. He came through tonight.
Speaker 4: How much of this do you think comes down to those shy Trump voters? Because, of course, as we were talking about I was talking to you on Sunday night, you know, the polling was showing that things were very close, but it was all within the margin of era. The result you've seen today winning not only the electoral College but the popular vote, which is of course not even what happened to Trump in twenty sixteen. How much of that comes down to people who perhaps weren't open about the fact they were going to support Trump, but when push came to shout, they thought, no, I have to do my bid for the country.
Speaker 1: Well, the shy Trump voter was a theory in the Hillary campaign, and it came about because the pollsters theorized after the fact that people might have been embarrassed to say that they were supporting him because of racist ideology, because of whatever, and that they came out. I think this time around, people weren't shy about their support for him. So I'm not sure it was the shy voter. I think partly it was that Kamala Harris was the candidate of the status quo. Her campaign slogan were not going back. But Trump was the candidate of change. And I think a lot of the voters saw that the economy was not where they want they wanted it to be. Inflation was too high, gas prices, the grocery bill, the malaise on the southern border, of the immigration issues. They wanted to see some change and they came through. In particular, it was the Latino vote that really came through and the youth vote that really came through. For President Trump. You have to tip your hat to his organization and to the grassroots organizations that he brought together in a coalition to drive this home. Kudos to his team. Whatever side of the debate you're on, you have to tip your hat to the guy that came up with a successful campaign. And this was a victory for all Americans in that we went to the polls, we voted, We have a result, and congratulations to the.
Speaker 5: Winner, Stephen, Congrats on once again being in a red state. About twenty minutes before we came to air, Wisconsin was called for Trump. You were blue yesterday, you read today. I'm sure you can still feel the equality of life just going through the roof as that announcement took place. But what's the vibe like there on the ground. Obviously, Wisconsin is more historically a blue leaning state. Have you begun to see the Democrat melt down there in Wisconsin?
Speaker 1: Well, writes previous, a former chief of staff for President Trump from Wisconsin. Tommy Thompson, our famous Republican governor here. So we've had a long line of great tradition on both sides. The Republican Party began in Rippon, Wisconsin. But we also have the long tradition of the progressive movements which inspired Teddy Roosevelt and others. So this is a very political state. It has great traditions on both sides. I think the mood in the state is it's five o'clock in the morning and most people are asleep. When the polls closed last night. Here in Wapaca, Wisconsin, we as a community we went to an ecumenical church service at the local Episcopal church and prayed for America and our leader ship. At that time we did not know who it would be, but as a community, Republicans Democrats, we still got together and prayed for the well being of our country.
Speaker 3: Steve, and I have to ask you, how are the Democrats going to explain this result? Because for months now they've told us Trump is Hitler, and yet it seems like Hitler increased his share of the Jewish vote, the Black vote, and the minority vote.
Speaker 2: How did the Democrats explain that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there's going to be some recriminations and soul searching in the DNC for some time now. We got into our country, got into this situation by with Joe Biden being the incumbent, and we really didn't have a open primary process. That will not be the case for you from now. The Democrats will have an open field and on the Republican side, I suspect the same because Trump will have exhausted is two terms of office, and so I think this will be an interesting time for both parties to come up with a new set of candidates for four years from now. But that's a long time in the future. Right now, I think we savor the moment. This was a civic party, if you will, a time for all Americans to come together at the polling stations. When I went to vote, I saw my neighbors and friends in line voting from both parties. We all shook hands, we talked a little bit as we were waiting in line. And it's a magic moment in a democracy when we have that privilege, when.
Speaker 4: We talk about that minority votering. Harris Scott on the current numbers, fifty six percent of the Hispanic vote compared to sixty three percent for Biden. And you would have thought, you know, Donald Trump, the man who wants to stop people coming over the Mexican border, that they would have rushed to Harris. But of course that didn't happen. But I thought it was so interesting. Of Course Harris did not come out and address her crowd at HQ tonight or overnight your time, mercing someone else to say, sorry, lads, go home, we'll come back and have a conflag tomorrow. What was the strategy there? Did the Democrats actually think they were going to win and were so blindsided by the fact that it didn't happen that they didn't quite know how to react to the result.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there may be an element of that, but there also may be an element to the fact that it was late at night. You want to be on national television. You want to be able to speak to all Americans, and people in Wisconsin aren't bad at midnight, they're not watching their television. Also, remember, I think if you look back four years ago, the results were not announced till Friday or Saturday. So I don't think people really anticipated that the results would be out that same night. That wasn't the most likely scenario. And you want to have You also want to be able to thank your partisans who have worked so hard on your campaign and have them together in the room when you give a speech like that. This has to have been absolutely exhausting for both presidential and vice presidential candidates and their core staffs. Taking a few hours to go home, have a good night's sleep, and come and address the nation properly. That's fine.
Speaker 5: Stephen Trump now has ten thousand staffer positions to fill. Famously, in twenty sixteen, during the first Trump administration, he was an outsider. He wasn't supposed to win in the first place, and there was quite a scramble for him to feel those saints.
Speaker 6: Where's the sense.
Speaker 5: That you get the majority of those will be filled by now? I imagine most of them are already spoken for, carved up by the power brokers.
Speaker 1: Well, you're right. In twenty sixteen, I think there was a very different approach. Trump did bring in quite a few loyalists that filled the ranks of those positions, but particularly at Defense, at State, some of those other key national security positions. He tried to bring in really grandees of the party, and that in the end didn't work for him. He ended up cleaning house on a lot of those positions. I suspect this time he'll have more settled loyalists with experience from the prior campaign. Also, you have organizations like the Heritage Foundation that have been vetting candidates. Now. I know that Trump is disavowed the Project twenty twenty five. That was probably good politics for the campaign, but ged Vance was one of the authors of that. So obviously the party and the team around him was very much involved with the Heritage Foundation in Project twenty twenty five, and that vetting process for thousands of candidates has been ongoing for some time.
Speaker 3: Well, Stephen Hendrix, I know it's very early in the morning there. We really appreciate you joining us here tonight our time. Thanks so much for your insights. Well, I reckon, we should have a look at the meltdowns because it's already begun. And why do we start with CNN. This made me laugh when I saw this. You know, the problem wasn't policy, It wasn't millions of people coming across the southern border. The problem for Kamala Harris is well, Americans just didn't know her well enough.
Speaker 2: I have to listen to this.
Speaker 6: Donald Trump hasn't runing for two years.
Speaker 7: Kamla Harris has been running for one hundred and seventy one hundred and seven days.
Speaker 6: So one of my.
Speaker 7: Big questions is, particularly with her candidacy, is whether that was just enough time to introduce herself to the country and to candidates who weren't so on running voting for a Democrat, weren't so sure about him, or whether she could have used a little bit more time.
Speaker 2: Guys, I had to laugh at this.
Speaker 3: I mean, she'd been vice president for four years, but even more than that, she could have gone for three hours on Joe Rogan and introduced herself and people could have known all about her. But she preferred a ninety second skit on Saturday Night Live. She avoided every opportunity for the American people to get to know her.
Speaker 5: And we saw this during the Fox interview that she did with Brett Bayer where he got to the very end of it, one of the only long form sit down interviews that she did, and he said to her, I would have really loved him more about you. You've just talked about Trump the entire time. But of course CNN is already very busy trying to come up with excuses. It's not that her policy platform was non existent and she always just kept referring people to a website saying I've got over eighty pages of policy for you to read there. It's not that she has barely a single firing neuron, and it's very obvious every time.
Speaker 6: She does open up her mouth.
Speaker 5: It's not like every single time she speaks at a ratie it is rally. It is copy paste what she said the last time and the time before that, and even mainstream media's traditionally on side for the Dems, has been pulling her up. It's not got anything to do with that. It's that people didn't have enough time to find out who Kamala truly was, and if they'd only.
Speaker 6: Known, she would have could have should have won, Kayla.
Speaker 4: You know, she's not like she was vice president for nearly for you. And the funniest part about all of this is odd, you know, did she have enough time to introduce herself to the electorate. Is that if they had done this properly, that is, get rid of Biden before the DNC, long before the DNC, and gone through a primary process.
Speaker 2: The candidate.
Speaker 3: So so you say, if they had known her, she would have done even worse.
Speaker 4: Exactly exactly she would have not had in the change.
Speaker 6: Did you know her? She didn't get a single vote twenty.
Speaker 4: Precisely, she dropped out so early in the race and then basically guilted Joe Biden into saying that she should be VP because she acused him of being racist. But you mentioned CNN Jake Tapper, of course, you'll remember from the first debate with Biden and Trump have listened to him reacting to the news that Kamala Harris outperformed Joe Biden in zero states. Apparently we don't have that to grab for you just yet. But he was asked, all they bring up the map, right, and they're going through every county in the United States that has where Kamala Harris has outperformed Joe Biden, and literally, I think we've got the grab for you. Now take a look.
Speaker 8: Are there any places that the vice president is overperforming Joe Biden in twenty twenty, So we could show you that as well.
Speaker 6: We just bring that out here. Harris overperforming twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Holy smokes, there you go.
Speaker 6: So let this go away and see if there's anything in.
Speaker 2: The East Side.
Speaker 3: There literally nothing, literally nothing, literally not one county by three percent or more.
Speaker 4: Imagine his shot literally nothing. No, Lively can't believe it.
Speaker 2: He can't believe it.
Speaker 4: Maybe Joe Biden could have won this election.
Speaker 2: But see it in so love the Democrats.
Speaker 3: That surely slipped out of his mouth before he realized what he was saying.
Speaker 2: That that was smoked.
Speaker 6: There was a genuine inflammation.
Speaker 2: He couldn't help him exactly.
Speaker 5: But check out these Democratic strategists and names. Asha Mills once again on regime media, saying, well, of course Trump's playbook one, because this is how evil it is.
Speaker 6: He's just fool people.
Speaker 8: You're talking about the propaganda campaign and the playbook of Trump. This is not new, this is not surprising. This is directly out of Hitler's playbook. This is out of an Autocrat playbook.
Speaker 5: And as a Democratic strategist, how's your strategy going, Asia?
Speaker 6: I mean, they.
Speaker 5: Still can't admit maybe this guy gave a voice to the disenfranchise. Maybe this guy kept batting it out of the park where the Democrats simply spoke about abortion, endlessly, told a pile of lies about how they're going to clean up immigration, going to build a wall on the border, all these nonsense things that people knew. You haven't done anything in four years. You're not going to do anything now. Trump speaks to what mensies here in Australia called the forgotten people, and those even those who hated him back in the day, remember that life was better under Trump. What we saw today in this red wave wasn't necessarily an Antikamala wave. I've seen so many different testimonials from people.
Speaker 6: Saying I don't like Trump as a person.
Speaker 5: I actually despise the guy that I am voting for him because my quality of life has deteriorated so significantly over the last four years. This is what I'm doing now. I feel like I have no choice left.
Speaker 4: And that was her problem. I think ultimately is that she tried to say that, you know, she was the new face of the Democrats, but being the VP, and I think the Dems will come to rue the day that they ever thought she would be the right person to put up for the job. Obviously they did it because they thought of all the people they could have put forward, she probably did have the most brand recognition available to them, but she was inextricably linked to Biden. I mean what you saw today was a repudiation of Bidenomics. It didn't work. People know it didn't work because they wallets, they look at their power bills. They know how they're doing now compared to four years ago and how they did under Trump up to eight years ago. That's what they voted against today. And Kamala could not get away from that, like she was Biden with a black female fight space.
Speaker 2: But I mean back to that grab we showed.
Speaker 3: For Democrats strategists to fall back on the Hitler story.
Speaker 6: It's done right after the election.
Speaker 2: I mean that's just shameless.
Speaker 3: And right through the election they were telling us, you know, Trump is a threat to our democracy, and someone very cleverly used AI to change all these news reports where instead of them saying our democracy through AI, they were made to say what we all knew. They really meant, our bureaucracy. It changes everything when you see it from that point of view.
Speaker 2: Have a listen.
Speaker 8: If the Democrats fail, it might be the end of American bureaucracy.
Speaker 6: Our bureaucracy really is in fundamental peril.
Speaker 7: The foundations of American bureaucracy under attack.
Speaker 6: They want to destroy our bureaucracy. We are a bureaucracy and danger.
Speaker 5: Watching an election where people are on the ballot openly advocating the end of bureaucracy.
Speaker 1: That's what Republicans are doing, attacking bureaucracy.
Speaker 3: I love that so much because they were saying our democracy, but.
Speaker 2: We were all hearing your bureaucracy.
Speaker 3: We knew exactly what was happening, and people voted accordingly, Liz.
Speaker 5: And scenes of tiery Democrats across the country was replicated at each and every watch party.
Speaker 6: They have.
Speaker 5: These watch parties they get together. It's supposed to turn into a party as you see your candidate obviously raking in the votes in each of the seats, and you're celebrating each winners at unfolds. Check out some of this footage of these completely deflated people as instead of the joy has.
Speaker 6: Left the building.
Speaker 5: Ladies and gentlemen, look at the despondency as the realization grows amongst the Democratic voting masses, we have actually not only lost this but by a landslide. Even the most avid Trump fan never saw such a comprehensive win coming. We've talked about the red wave. It finally arrived. But of course you're always going to have certain very passionate Harris Waltz fans that are completely losing their minds to learn that they have woken up in a new Trump presidency. But when it comes to guys who simply can't handle this fact, I think this fella takes the cake.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're gonna win this good day of Jesus Christ.
Speaker 4: I'm shake missed off.
Speaker 6: God damn it. Cry harder, Liberals, ry harder.
Speaker 5: You've met the forty seventh President of the United States of America and he's going to make America greater for you too.
Speaker 6: But you've got to love it.
Speaker 5: These scenes. We're gonna have countless scenes. We could probably do an hour long show just of the meltdown that is going to follow on the dawn of tomorrow.
Speaker 4: When I find out whoever removed the tissue box that usually sits next to me here at the desk, I'm going to give him a slap across the chops, because you know, I just want to pull about my eyes off for these poor people. And because it's not just in the United statey No, No, it's here at home. I mean, in fact, in some cases it's even worse here in Australia because because Australians are obviously just some to be removed from what's going on in the US. A lot of people don't actually understand why Trump wins, right, I mean they just look at go the Orange Man bad and they hear the hitless stuff and whatever, and they're literally like, what is wrong with America? Are they all crazy over there? How could they possibly vote for Donald Trump? Because they're not living through what Americans are living through our own. Adam Bant, the leader of the Greens, I mean, he is just off the reservation. Haven't listened to what he tweeted. He said, my heart is with every person in the USA and around the world who feels justifiable terror. Tonight, hold your luck ones close. Tomorrow we pick ourselves up and we continue the fight hate will not win. Hold your loved ones close, as though they're now under some sort of existential threat. Because Donald Trump has been elected, and we talked about democracies on the ballot, how was this one from the Sydney Morning Herald. Peter Harpscher wrote to this column. The headline says, if George Washington was the father of America's democracy, donald Trump is its undertaker. Hang, okay, let's just go back a few steps. Donald Trump just won in near enough to a landslide, a democratic election. He won the electoral college vote, and he won the popular vote. So the dude who was democratically chosen by his power, unlike Kamala Harris, I mean, democratically elected by his nation, is now going to be the undertaker of democracy. Make it make sense?
Speaker 3: It makes no sense. It never does when it's coming from the left. But you mentioned Adam Bant saying hold your loved one's close because it's such a terrifying result.
Speaker 6: Fiably terrified.
Speaker 3: He's nott the only one with scared children. Get a load of this tweet from Christina Applegate, the actress. She's got a thirteen year old daughter. Just bear that in mind when I read this tweet. Her daughter is thirteen years old. She tweeted, why give me your reasons why my child is sobbing because her rights as a woman may be taken away? Why and if you disagree, please unfollow me. She's referring that to abortion rights. Is she not thirteen year old? Is sobbing because her thirteen year old may not be able to have an abortion in the future, and based on.
Speaker 5: An absolute lie because Trump has repeatedly said that is a state matter. The Feds have got nothing to do with it. Why you're looking at me when it comes to the subject of abortion, period.
Speaker 6: But it gets funnier. Jill Biden, who until.
Speaker 5: Today was flotus, was the first.
Speaker 6: Lady of America.
Speaker 5: War read to go and vote, Jill war or read to vote as the wife of a Democrat politician. Well, he's actually president. There's no way she doesn't know how this looks. Biden and Jill are pissed. It's, as we've noted several times now, it certainly looks like the current president n first lady.
Speaker 6: We're actually batting for Team Trump.
Speaker 5: Every time Biden came out on the campaign trail, he said something completely ridiculous to suck the oxygen out of.
Speaker 6: What Kamala was trying to do at the time.
Speaker 5: He absolutely ruled and ranged to the point that we haven't seen him since Saturday. Where is the President of the United States of America.
Speaker 6: Nobody knows.
Speaker 5: They've chofed him off, not to be heard from again even on the campaign.
Speaker 4: Drail be at Harris's HQ. I mean, what does that tell you? Looks was there. President would need.
Speaker 3: Class And like I said, Jill Biden got dressed this morning, she knew exactly what she was doing.
Speaker 2: We're going to take a break when we come back.
Speaker 3: Some big news in Australia, particularly around the government's detainee policy. It's an absolute mess after a new High Court ruling. We'll talk about that in just a moment. Welcome back. We'll get some more response and reaction from the US a little later. But there's some big news locally, primarily around the government's failed non citizen detainee policy. You remember some time ago two hundred and fifteen detainees were released from detention after the High Court rule they could not be held indefinitely. Now, the government responded to community concerns about safety by insisting that detainees should have ankle bracelets so they could be tracked and should be subject to curfews. That gave some comfort to the community, though, and then there were all sorts of problems around those ankle bracelets.
Speaker 2: Some had them, some didn't, etc. Et cetera. Now the High Court has ruled.
Speaker 3: Its unconstitutional for the government to insist detainees wear ankle bracelets or be subject to curfews, because it's the job of a court, not the government, to impose punishment on people.
Speaker 2: So now the government are.
Speaker 3: Rushing to create new legislation to try and deal with this. Bear in mind, back in December, they rushed legislation through parliament preventative detention, they called it, so that they could put many of these people back into detention to keep the community safe. And we find out they've not used those laws even once to put one of these people. Remember, some of them were sex offenders, some of them were murderers, some of them had committed kidnappings and bombings. Not a single one has been placed back into detention, despite the government making a big deal about the special laws rushed through And now we find their laws around curfews and tracking devices, well, they weren't even legal in the first place.
Speaker 4: Look, I mean, ALBERNIZI may want to take a look at the United States and see what happens to governments that are week on migration.
Speaker 6: Orders cautionary sale issues.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 4: I mean, they have bungled this from go to woe. I mean, seriously, could you find a worse job of something? Again, we know that the government was warned months before the High Court canded down their decision that it was likely in the Mzyquks that it would be found that the detention was unconstitutional, so they could have come up with a different law that would have allowed them to be sorted out. Then they came back and came up with some emergency laws a few days later quote unquote emergency which was so bad that the coalition then had to amend all of it, which Labor was going to oppose until the last minute when they realized that the stuff they'd come up with was rubbish, so they then got on board with the amendments. Then they said, we'll come up with some more stuff to redetain these people. As you just pointed out, none of them have been redetained. And one of the only things they could come up with which was to put ankle monitors on them, which many of them just didn't bother go and get anyway, and they weren't recharging them at night, so we didn't even know where they were. Was unconstitutional, So it started with a constitutional issue. That's how we landed in this mess in the first place. And then they bugged it up constitutionally again. Like it is such a comedy of errors comedy, well I say it comedy, it's actually not an holody. It's more of a tragedy really. But it is so pathetic to think that they had enough warning to come up with something that was water tight, but they ignored it for so long that what they then came up with was illegal again.
Speaker 5: And how disconcerting is it to learn yet again our law makers don't know the law.
Speaker 6: I mean, you're.
Speaker 5: Writing out the law and you didn't know or actually this is constitutionally invalid. How many people do you have working in these departments advising you on the writing of legislation and you just can't get it right, even when it's regarding something that is affecting the well being and safety of Australian citizens at the hands of criminal ex detainees. I mean, this is something that I'm glad it's back in the headlines because before the election, in the lead up to the election, which is what roughly five to six months away now, people cannot be allowed.
Speaker 6: To forget this debarkle.
Speaker 5: And despite this, check out this headline from last night, Alban Eaz he's telling his Labor mp is not only does he think he's going to get a labor government come that election, hey reckons he's going to have a bigger majority than he does now wely barely has a majority. But he thinks that wear flogs. He thinks that despite currently only being known as the Prime minister who was the architect of a failed voice referendum, lied about two hundred and seventy five dollars off our power bills getting freebies from Quantas while he ousted Qatar, which would have given us all cheaper airline fees. Then we've got the recent acquisition of his clip top mansion.
Speaker 6: I mean, have I missed anything?
Speaker 5: This guy has got nothing as well as this detainee debarcle.
Speaker 6: Quite obviously has he got a single win on his list.
Speaker 5: And there he is caught out telling his mates not only am I going to win at the next election. I am going to win it by a bigger margin than we're even holding naw.
Speaker 3: Well, I think the one thing he's succeeding in is he's making sure any rivals for the leadership are absolutely nowhere to be found.
Speaker 2: Should there be a challenge.
Speaker 3: Giles is obviously for sona non grata, and now Tony Burke is in charge of the Immigration portfolio.
Speaker 2: He's got to fix this mess.
Speaker 3: Of course, they've given Shadow Immigration Minister Dantean a free kick.
Speaker 2: This is what he had to say.
Speaker 9: Well, the government needs to reassure the Australian people that they have a planning place to keep them safe. But the sad reality is every time we get a decision like this, the government shows it's a sleep at the wheel. And once again we're seeing that the government is asleep at the wheel. Are they going to use preventative difiction order regime? Are they going to get the Removals Powers Bill through the Senate? What are they going to do to keep the Australian community safe?
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: The problems just keep on mounting up for the Albanzi government. The problems keep on mounting up for the AFL as well.
Speaker 4: Klen, incredible is it? Because remember a few weeks ago there were some players as your team Gwsaaws who were caught out in some meta inappropriate dress up at their Mad Monday celebrations. Now it's an AFL umpire. Now, look, Donald Trump may well have taken a bullet and it didn't kill him, but I'm hoping that Donald Trump being elected president again today means he fires a fatal bullet at political correctness, because seriously, right, this case may be distasteful, but honestly, did it hurt anyone? An AFL umpire turned up to their postseason celebrations. He's a South Australia decorated South Australian umpire. He's unpired in something like six Sandful Grand Finals down there. He joined the AFL a few years ago. He's umpired nearly two hundred games in the AFL and the theme of this party was characters from the two thousands. So he turned up dressed as Osama bin Laden and yes, you might go okay in bad taste, but for that he's now been suspended for a match. It was a private event, right, a private event. He turned up dressed up as Osama. Have been louden Does anyone really care? Honestly?
Speaker 1: Are we?
Speaker 4: Are we that fragile that you can't turn up as a dead terrorist? I mean, let's not forget though some have been loud, and is not you know, raigning terror on anyone anymore. We actually got the dude. What does it matter if he turned up dressed up as osam have been loud? Just move on.
Speaker 3: But before we get to that, can I just point out you missed the biggest mystery of this story an AFL umpires end of season party. Could you imagine what kind of party the umpires have. It's like, I imagine a group of accountants. Accountants look like Bigi's compared to a bud of AFL the most boring party you've ever been doing.
Speaker 4: Because my accountant, my accountant used to be a football upire.
Speaker 3: But I mean this guy getting suspended for a week. We've got people dressing up as terrorists and protesting through the streets of our CBD every weekend and they get no penalty at all. This guy dresses up, you know, for a bit of a lark. As you said, private event. The AFL only became aware of it because someone sent a photograph to someone at AFL headquarters, and so they've suspended him just in case. But I love this, Liz, You'll enjoy this. The umpire has been sent to education. Stop the umpires as he is reflecting on his choice mate, I don't know how low reflects, it gets worse. And then the AFL Umpires Association says, at all times he has cooperated fully and transparently with the investigation. He was wearing an Osama bin laden mask. What sort of cooperation or transparency or investigation said?
Speaker 5: All these dress up parties, you've got a pile of lads. This guy actually did it in September before my team, my great amazing team were brought into disrepute because they too had.
Speaker 6: A dress up party. You've got a pile of lads.
Speaker 5: Of course they're going to dress up as baddies.
Speaker 6: I mean, is there a rule against it?
Speaker 5: No, So, like Caleb said, you can say, oh it's in bad taste, Oh I disapprove, But suspensions and fine simply because they picked a costume that you don't like. Check this out from the suspended AFL umpire lee House and he says.
Speaker 6: I made an error of judgment. I am sorry. I never intended to offend anyone. We know you didn't. Lee.
Speaker 5: It was a jolly dresser party, it was a private event, and for some strange reason, you chose to dress up as a dead terrorist. But okay, then we've got the AFL head of Umpiring, Stephen mcburniey letting us all know that this man has been disciplined. He says, Lee understands the inappropriate nature of his costume.
Speaker 6: He has reflected on that choice.
Speaker 5: We will support Lee to make his return to umpiring AFL football following this suspension.
Speaker 6: I mean, you'd think the guy was Osama bin Laden.
Speaker 5: The way these guys are carrying on, where I think the line keeps being drawn here is they think.
Speaker 6: You're dressing up as someone.
Speaker 5: Therefore you're hero wizing them, you're celebrating them somehow.
Speaker 6: That's not true.
Speaker 5: You're simply going You said, dress up as someone who's very well known in the two thousands. I know someone and nobody else will come in this costume. That's all he's done.
Speaker 3: The mistake he made was to dress up as Sama bin Laden with a name like Lee Hassan, he should have gone as Saddam Hassan.
Speaker 4: Finally, if I mentioned before about my accountant being a former football lumpire. He's just sent me a text and said he's going to the next umpire's reunion dressed as Donald Trump.
Speaker 5: He gets see how many clients you keep?
Speaker 6: After that?
Speaker 5: For a to Queensland now, where Stephen Miles is embracing his new role as leader of the opposition.
Speaker 6: Despite losing at least fifteen seats.
Speaker 5: The party's decided to keep the guy because I think nobody wants that poison chalice. At the moment, he's burnt all his political capitals, so they're like, hey.
Speaker 6: You can stay and.
Speaker 5: Be the pincushion, but get him here. He is visiting Townsville, all smiles, saying, don't worry.
Speaker 6: That's all behind me. Now.
Speaker 5: I'm setting my sights on the next election.
Speaker 10: My first day in the job as opposition leader, and I'm spending it here in Townsville talking to locals about what they wish we'd done better in the last term of government and what we can do to both ensure that the new government delivers for Townsville and also to win back their trust and support between now and twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 5: This guy all smiles, as you can still see giggles. Miles is still giggling. He has embarked on a post election listening tour. Of course, the question Queensland's one answered are where was the pre election listening tour? Because it's only just now he's telling people in Townsville, you know what, when it comes to the whole crime issue and being at an old time high in the state of Queensland, I guess we did move too slow.
Speaker 10: We were too slow to respond to the concerns about crime, particularly in Townsville. And when we did respond, even though that plan was effective, people particularly in Townsville, I think had already made up their mind.
Speaker 6: Oh you reckon, you reckon.
Speaker 5: This has got to be the cheeriest leader of the opposition following quite a wipe owl historical, pretty historical for Queenslanders. And he still just all smiles, being like, I'm embarking on this pre post election listening tour seeing what people think we could have done better. It's a bit late now, buddy, and just talking about the next election already, like heck, it's only four years away.
Speaker 6: We're on our way.
Speaker 3: To see him standing on the beach in Townsville in the sun. It's my first day as opposition leader. It's like it's first at at school.
Speaker 2: He's so proud of the.
Speaker 3: Fact in government anymore, I'm the opposition leader.
Speaker 2: This is so much fun.
Speaker 3: And he's in Townsville where, of course they lost three seats. That's all the seats in Townsville. He's there to hear what they could have done better? Well, I think Townsvillians will answer that question with just one word, Caleb everything.
Speaker 2: They could have done everything better.
Speaker 3: And as for we're a little late, how long were labor in power?
Speaker 2: Was it nine eighty years?
Speaker 4: Exactly?
Speaker 2: How long does it take?
Speaker 3: And just one more thing, sorry, he says we were slow to put in our measures.
Speaker 2: They weren't slow at all. They put you never watched me from the beginning.
Speaker 3: They did exactly what they intended to do and it just didn't work.
Speaker 2: Crime just kept increasing.
Speaker 4: Well, they say that hindsight is twenty twenty, but I think in this case, hindsight is fifty one thirty six, which was how many seats the LMP one and to what Labour won? Right, I mean, imagine having the gall to actually stand there with I going to say straight face. It's not even a straight face. A greening face say, oh, look how good I've managed to hang on as opposition leader. How he's managed to do that, I don't know.
Speaker 3: From his dear Well have you seen the people around him, Cameron Bick, but he.
Speaker 4: Should not be opposition leader. Like if they don't want to have any chance of winning an election in four years.
Speaker 5: Oh they're bouting they'll boot him before then. But these am politics is what we call the pincushion candidate. No one after such a comprehensive defeat is going to be like, oh we'll win it that next term.
Speaker 6: Highly unlikely. Sure it's a fully will do a great job.
Speaker 5: So nobody wants the job of being the flog facing as I'm leader of the opposition for goodness knows how long they're like, you've burned all your political capital.
Speaker 6: I'm keeping my gunpowder dry. But one hundred.
Speaker 5: Percent minute they know they have a chance at winning the next election.
Speaker 6: Whichever election that is gone, run from premier.
Speaker 4: It would be a bit late Kamala Harris in four years time trying to have another shot at a Democratic nomination.
Speaker 2: I would love that. That would be great, It would be so into day.
Speaker 4: But the people of Queensland, instead of giving them a full, flat out proper apology. We were a bit slow to act. I mean you could have just acted at all to begin with. It's a bit late to be coming up.
Speaker 3: The other statement I loved from the Deputy Labor Leader Cameron Dick, who.
Speaker 2: Said, I think we lost the trust of Queenslanders. He says that twenty four.
Speaker 3: Hours after it was revealed the hydro plant they'd promised at twelve billion dollars has come in at thirty six billion dollars. I think we lost the trust of Queensland as I can't imagine why we're going to go to a break. When we come back, we'll look at how tomorrow's papers will be reporting Donald Trump's historic victory that's coming up in just a moment. Well, as you would expect, Trump's victory is going to be across all of the papers tomorrow. So let's have a look at how they're going to report it. Caleb, you've got the Daily Telegraph.
Speaker 4: Indeed, they are calling it the Maga miracle. Don pulls off the greatest political comeback of all time, it says Trump Towers. Donald Trump last night pulled off the most astonishing comeback in political history, sweeping back into the White House with a thumping victory that left Kamala Harrison her Democrats' hopes in tatters. In a win that defied polls, in a divisive Democrat campaign that cast him as a modern day Hitler, mister Trump vowed Dasher in a new golden age for America. I wish, speaking of Trump Towers, that we've seen him come down the escalator again like he did. How good would that have be?
Speaker 5: That was absolutely to the Herald's son now similar headline, He's done it again. Trump pulls off incredible victory in US election. Come back King, and what a comeback it was. I gotta say it was the moment I saw the arm coming out to vote for Trump in the state of Pennsylvania.
Speaker 6: That was the moment for me.
Speaker 5: I was like, we've got it in the bags. It reminded me of when the trees the ants decide to go to battle in the Lord of the Rings, the Twin Towers.
Speaker 6: That was incredible.
Speaker 5: That is, when before anyone had called anything, I was like, you've got the Amish out voting for you.
Speaker 6: That's nineteen more electoral votes. We're done here, all right.
Speaker 3: The Adelaide Advertiser they've gone with your rehired, pointing out, of course the fact that Donald Trump, I think, is only the second president in US history you have come back for a second term after losing office. But they've also gone for a religious theme. Donald Trump stormed back to the White House in emphatic style on Wednesday and declared God had spared him from an assassin's bullet to save his country. Here's Donald Trump talking about that when he made his victory speech earlier this evening.
Speaker 11: Many people are told me that God spared my life for a reason, and that reason was to save our country and to restore America to Griddis. And now we are going to fulfill that mission together that we're going to fulfill that vision.
Speaker 3: What a contrast, just a couple of days ago, Kamala Harris telling some Christians there's an event down the road for you guys. Donald Trump tonight crediting God with saving his life.
Speaker 4: And the Australian has gone with a very similar headline, Trump, You're rehired, It says Donald Trump has promised a golden age for America as he delivered a crashing victory over Kamala Harris in the US presidential election, rking a dramatic revival of his mega movement and delivering him a second term in the White House. One of the greatest political comebacks of history. And it also notes up the top there Latinos and young men helped deliver emphatic win. Isn't it great when the.
Speaker 5: Latinae his sorry kais for the Republicns with the Blacks, the Hispanics and other minorities. Only Trump could do it, and he did. But of course you've got to have one sook. And that's what we count on the camera times for their headline reads President of the United States or the Anxiety. I'm sure this message is approved by Adam Bant.
Speaker 6: They are sooking all over the place.
Speaker 5: Republican candidate Donald Trump has claimed a shock comeback to the American presidency. Of course, most people on the ground in America weren't shocked, because after the conditions that they've suffered for four years, everyone was coming out in force to vote for this man. Hence, the red wave was big enough to overwhelm all of the dodgy tactics the dem had organized to play out during the very outlay of this election.
Speaker 2: We are going to go to a break.
Speaker 3: But when we come back, you'd think if you're going to be hit by a vehicle, and you'd probably want to.
Speaker 2: Be hit by an ambulance.
Speaker 3: Right, No, No, that's the worst thing that could happen to you. Will explain why in just a moment. Well, an incredible story from Oregon in the US. Seventy one year old William Hosch was out riding his bicycle when he got hit sideswiped by an ambulance. It's pretty bad getting hit by a vehicle, but I guess at least it's an ambulance. It can take you to hospital, which it did, only to then issue with him with an invoice for one.
Speaker 2: Eight hundred dollars for the trip.
Speaker 3: It's reported that the Oregon cyclist was struck by an ambulance that made a right turn into him, fracturing his nose, leaving him with scrapes and other injuries across his body. And now he's filed a lawsuit against them, not just for damages, but for the fact they charged him for taking him to the hospital after it was their fault in the first place.
Speaker 4: Honestly, what happened to the fair go that is absolutely pathetic. He who does it should pay.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 4: Look, we know that Kamala Harris, through Joe Biden under the bus in order for her to run for the presidency. We know how will that win. Spare a thought for her campaign coach here, who she also threw under the bus today to tell her supporters that Harris HQ that she wasn't coming out to say hello.
Speaker 10: We will continue over Nate to fight to make sure that every voter's counted, that every voice has spoken.
Speaker 1: So you won't hear from.
Speaker 4: The Vice president to Nate, but you will hear from her tomorrow. I mean, can you imagine when he was told, Okay, you've got to go out and tell all these people who volunteer and donated, they want to hear from rugs. You've got to go out and tell them that she's not even going to come.
Speaker 5: He's basically saying go home, she's not coming out. Keep in mind, this was at twelve forty five a m.
Speaker 6: So they already knew. It wasn't much.
Speaker 5: Long later that Trump came out and was like, yeah, I won.
Speaker 6: Thanks. But so at this point she could have at least come out.
Speaker 5: And thank you to all the participants without conceding. But instead, wouldn't even make an appearance.
Speaker 2: Cowardice, that's it from us.
Speaker 3: But stick around here is Rita penhe