Speaker 1: Just after midnight on June the fourteenth, the peaceful Barley Knight was disrupted with gunfire.
Speaker 2: So here a sledgehammerer was involved as well.
Speaker 1: A pretty small sledgehammer which will become important to this case. Is basically breaking down the door and everyone in that inside that villa is pretty worried about what's going on, and they should be.
Speaker 2: They've got guns, and those guns get used.
Speaker 3: I'm Andrew Rule. This is Life and Crimes. This week we have a guest host, our producer John Burton.
Speaker 2: Thanks Andrew and while Andrew's away on assignment, and to make up for Andrew's absence is Ace crime reporter and sometimes host of Life and Crimes himself and also frequent guest Anthony Dowsley.
Speaker 4: Get a Johnty, very good to be here.
Speaker 2: Now. We're here today to talk more about a topic that Andrew touched on a couple of weeks ago, and that is the shooting in Bali of a couple of Melbourne gentlemen and the aftermath, because you've been reporting on that quite extensively over the last few weeks.
Speaker 1: It's a horrific crime, the kind of thing where you think you're going to a idyllic island to have a bit of a break. There's four people we think, now maybe five people. The police seem to think there's five people in that villa in a sort of on the outskirts north of Cooter. It's a beautiful place that they were staying. That was a new build and we'll get into who was staying there. But it was a villa with plenty of bedrooms, three bedrooms inside, a big kitchen area I think, and a pool in the middle of it all. And just after midnight on June the fourteenth, the peaceful barley night was disrupted with gunfire.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about who was there and who they are and who we know was at the scene. So there were two gentlemen there. Who were they Melbourne Blocks here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll start with a fellow by the name of Sana Ghanam. Now he had been there for months and he's a familiar face in Bali for years, so it's a place where people know him. And he was taking out a long lease on this particular villa called Kazar Centensia Kazusentsia. Do we know you're a bit more familiar with the Indonesian people, Kasar I think is a kasa.
Speaker 2: I think Cassa is Spanish, is it not? Yes?
Speaker 1: And Santisia s a n tis ya. How would that be pronounced?
Speaker 2: I have no idea. I might need to take that on notice and find out what Santisia is later on.
Speaker 1: So Kazasentisia is where they were staying. Sana Ghanam is a Melbourne player. You might say, he's been known to police. He went to jail and twenty fifteen and he was the boyfriend and partner of Danielle Stephens. Now she has absolutely nothing to do with this other than her partner's been caught up in the middle of it or her ex partner.
Speaker 2: And who is she?
Speaker 1: Danielle Stephens is the daughter of ROBERTA. Williams, stepdaughter of Carl Williams.
Speaker 2: Right, and Andrew touched upon this a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's right when he says that Danielle was the partner of Santa Aganum some years ago. They had a child together. And I can tell you that because they do have a child together. Danielle Stephens did visit Sannah in Bali so that he could spend some time with his daughter.
Speaker 2: So Danielle's visited but also they've had another visitor.
Speaker 4: As you mentioned.
Speaker 1: Yes, so Sana has been in and out of the country, but he had a long term lease on that villa, the luxury villa in a place near Mungoo Beach. If I'm pronouncing that right. Probably it's sort of you know north, you go past Semygnac and you go into the Kangoo area and they just keep on sort of building and building up that beach and sort of inland a little bit. Is this beautiful new villa. Well, it's set of villas actually, and they were in Villa.
Speaker 2: One, right, so it's a compound.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, And who.
Speaker 2: Turns up to Villa two or three or four or five.
Speaker 1: Well, two sisters by the name of Jasmine and Daniella Gordias arrive in Bali on June the twelfth and they head over to see Sona. Now Daniella Gordias is Sonna's girlfriend partner, and Jasmine's there. She's taking some time away as well with her partner, a fellow by the name of Ziven Radmanovic. So they arrive and they all go there because the sisters know each other, and one of the sisters, no Sanna, So this is.
Speaker 2: A family affair, but it's a family affair from the sisters. It's not a Zivan and Summer are who are mates.
Speaker 1: It seems to be that way that the sisters are the connection. Yep, that there is the possibility that and son I also know each other, but the sisters definitely are the connection.
Speaker 2: It's a small world, a small world in Melbourne.
Speaker 1: And they're over there for thirtieth birthday. It's Jasmine's thirtieth birthday. It's going to be her birthday a few days later after they arrive.
Speaker 2: Right, but then everything sort of goes a bit crazy.
Speaker 1: Well they don't know it, but they are being tracked by a team of well deadly people. They are being probably watched. Someone has found where they are and there is some evidence that's been collected of CCTV of the alleged hit men in this scheme and this plot looking at the villa. They're a court on camera. It's alleged scouting it out just hours before this crime goes down and just after they're there on June thirteen, they're looking at it. They come back and forth from where they're staying and then they collect their equipment and they come armed with hammers and guns and just after midnight, so on the morning of June fourteen, there is pounding on the wooden door to that villa.
Speaker 2: So I here a sledgehammer was involved as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty small sledgehammer which will become important to this case. Is basically breaking down the door. And everyone in that inside that villa is pretty worried about what's going on, and they should be.
Speaker 2: And we believe there are three miscreants involved at this point.
Speaker 3: Yees.
Speaker 1: So the allegation is that three Australians the people that are raiding this house. So one Australian stays outside. He's the alleged look at man. His name is Darcy Jensen. There are two alleged high hit men or gunman who actually raid the property, go inside and start going into the bear dreams and rounding up who they want to round up.
Speaker 2: Right, and as you said, they've got guns and those guns get used.
Speaker 1: Yep, you helped me identify this. The police have picked up an Indonesian handgun side arm the military use. Not that many of them made you fifty years ago at least.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's an Indonesian copy of a thing called a Browning high Power which is a very old design. I think it was in the nineteen thirties. It was created and has sort of been in service around the world, and various places have licensed it or have made their version of it. And an Indonesian firm made a version of this Browning high power I think in the sixties and seventies, I think was most of their production run, and I think they only made about thirty thousand of them. But they were kicking around.
Speaker 1: So a gun, I think it's called a pin dad Pa one or something like that. One, yes, that has been found seven hundred meters away in a small river, and they found another gun since in a drain. But there's a whole sort of you know, alleged getaway plan and these Australian men arrested at separate points in the days afterwards. But it's a horrific crime. Inside that villa. Santaganam is shot most likely six times in different places in his body's legs just are his back buttock sort of area, and lived and he might have got a little fragment in his head as well, and he lived. But he's kickboxer. The word is that he was, you know, from anyone who might know these sort of situations that he would have been able to potentially fight his way out of a bad confrontation like that. We'll have to wait to hear what, you know, what happened with him, how he managed to sort of escape. But in another room, in a bathroom, Zeven Redmanovic is assaulted and he's shot dead before these guys flee, right, And they did flee on motorbikes and a car. So the three of them, it's alleged that they were in separate vehicles, two small bikes, motorbikes and a car.
Speaker 2: And the Indonesian authorities moved with a fair amount of speed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we have been looking at this. There's an interesting story with the hammer. It's got a bar code on it.
Speaker 2: Right, local local hammer, Bunny's hammer.
Speaker 1: It's from a hardware store in Bali, right, And because it's got the bar code on it, we think they've been able to trace that really quickly because it's left at the crime scene.
Speaker 2: So they've basically got almost a point of sale, you know, that was brought from here.
Speaker 1: So they go and they look at the CCTV from that, and we think that they identify Jensen from that.
Speaker 2: You're always equatee CCTV with places like Melbourne and you know we have in them all and they do police a very good job.
Speaker 1: But it's list I'm holding up here for you is sort of all of the CCTV they've been gathering. It extends from you know, when one of the suspects arrives in early June, all the way through to after they leave, after these guys that are trying to make their alleged get away.
Speaker 2: And let the record show that there's what twenty thirty you are.
Speaker 4: Out to be.
Speaker 1: They've got a lot of ct TV and witness accounts as well are included in there. But it's all about the movements of these guys and the hotels they stayed at, and the rental bikes that they pick up, and the rental cars and the hammer and all sorts of things like that.
Speaker 2: I have to say, Yeah, the Indonesian authorities have jumped on this in a fairly profound way. So the three alleged defenders have gone their separate ways.
Speaker 1: They have all cut into the Balinese Indonesian police headed to Jakarta, yep. And one of them doesn't make it onto a flight.
Speaker 4: He's arrested.
Speaker 1: That being Darcy Jensen in Jakarta, YEP at.
Speaker 2: The airport YEP. The other two get on flights YEP.
Speaker 1: They get all the way to Singapore. And we're talking about a man by the name of Payat Tu Poo or Payout middlemore Tu Poo and another man by the name of Mevlet Costcoon.
Speaker 2: And where were they on their way? So one of them is to Singapore.
Speaker 1: Well, they go to Singapore and they transit there to Cambodia. So they end up in non Pen, right, and they don't get through that airport and they head back.
Speaker 4: They're told they have to go back.
Speaker 2: Well, I would dare say they're escorted back. So they get to non Pin, they don't get out of the airport. They don't have that lovely moment when you get through customs and you're finally in the country and you've pulled it behind you. They get pulled up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's multiple agencies involved, including into pol by that point. So they can't make it through the gates.
Speaker 2: Right, and they get turned back. They get sent back onto a flight to Singapore and they.
Speaker 1: Get back detained and then extra righted back to Jakarta, YEP. And then as we speak right now. They're they're in Bali, yep, and they're in detention.
Speaker 2: And we've seen some of those photos with things over faces and.
Speaker 1: It's quite a scary sight. It's well confronting, I would say. When they the three men that have been I don't think they've necessarily been charged. But it's a different system over there that it's as if they've been charged.
Speaker 2: It's more of an inquirble system, isn't it. It's less adversarial than it is.
Speaker 1: It's all a bit confusing on that front. But they have been paraded in front of the media who are alple to shout at them in hoods prison issue orange T shirts and wearing shorts and thongs and stuff like that. But they're wearing leg chains right okay, and you know you could hear.
Speaker 4: The leg chains.
Speaker 1: I watched it on a stream on the night that it was all happening, and it's just something else.
Speaker 2: And this is they would have been in is it corokabund prison?
Speaker 1: They as far as I know, they haven't been there yet. They're being held in police stations remand demand type of police headquarters kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, So they've been sort of parayed in front of the medium. We should say that they're in Indonesia's justice system, they're not in the Australian ones. So it's a slightly different sort of way that we can talk about them than if they were in Australia's justice system.
Speaker 4: But the stakes are very high.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, So what are the stakes for these three men.
Speaker 1: Well, in Indonesia, premeditated murder does carry the death penalty. If you are prosecuted and found guilty of that crime, you can be you can be put to death. It doesn't necessarily mean anyone will be in this instance, but Australia opposes the death penalty, and it's very sensitive for agencies like the AFP to give any assistance to the Indonesians regarding any taligence that they may or may not have.
Speaker 2: Of course, the listeners might recall the Bali nine saga, and there was certainly a lot of sensitivities, particularly around the AFP with that case. That's right, and it ended in the execution of two of those Bali nine.
Speaker 4: Yes, it did so.
Speaker 2: While they've been paraded, and while that's going on, police have continued their inqui Indonesian police have continued their inquiries. You mentioned that they'd found a gun that was in a sore or like a creek or.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's one.
Speaker 1: More recently, there's been a gun found in a drain, right, so two guns, So there's two guns that they are testing.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: They're doing DNA analysis on other clothing and so forth to see if there's the DNA from the victim on any of the suspects closed or vice versa. They are working with all this CCTV to track their entire movements while they were there. They are also the interesting thing about this is that we don't know a motive. We just know that it's basically alleged to be an international hit and the Indonesians would not take kindly to that, and that's probably why they're putting so much effort into solving this crime. But the motivations have led to speculations back in Australia about why this all happened.
Speaker 2: So that's the thing. As you mentioned international, it's allegedly Australians killing an Australian. All the Australians are under arrest and there were Australians that were attacked, so it suggests that international might mean Australia where this beef or this conflict has arisen. So what can you sketch in there? What do we know about what has happened surrounding that.
Speaker 1: The scuttle butt around the underworld is that there was a debt or a ripoff of crime syndicate and that has led to a confrontation between parties. It hasn't been resolved and this incident is a result of that.
Speaker 2: It must be a big disagreement to be crossing international lines and sourcing guns locally. And I suppose the hamil would be quite easy to source locally if they're going into the equivalent of Bunnings.
Speaker 4: But the guns, yeah, so much, ye yep.
Speaker 1: It's not hard for the suggestion to come up that there's been a serious beef back here, most likely in Australia, most likely in Melbourne, but we don't know. The situation may be that a very powerful person has been aggrieved about what has happened and pulls out all stops to hunt down whoever they think has done the wrong thing by them, But.
Speaker 2: We don't know what the aggrievement might be.
Speaker 4: Well, it's you know, you hear all sorts of things.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It could be a that everything from a rip off quote unquote to a debt and you know that's going to have to come out in the wash.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. So another thing that has happened in the mix of this is a fire bombing of a business and we don't know the extent that it is all links to this, but it's unfortunate in any case. Can you tell us about that.
Speaker 1: Daniella Gordias, who is Son Gharnum's partner, returned home to Melbourne, and her sister Jasmine has returned home to Melbourne, and the body of Redmanovic has also been repatriated. On July tenth, so only a couple of weeks ago, at about eleven o'clock at night, there's CCTV of a man in a high vis vest smashing the window of Danielle Gordias's a sort of skin clinic beauty shop and throwing some sort of Molotov cocktail in there. You set fire to it, basically, and it's now all boarded up and Victoria Police and probably other agencies are looking at the links if there are links, which she there may be to what happened in Bali. It's just obviously it's not hard to say, well, there's been a major incident in Bali where someone's died and another man's shot and then a few weeks later, a month later, there's a fire in this place in South.
Speaker 2: Era, absolutely and we don't know, and authorities are investigating, and apart from the monetary loss there and all of that, just the human toll there of this family they've come back bringing back the repatriated body. And to find out then that your businesses is firebombed, it's got to be a huge, just blow on blow.
Speaker 1: So Danniella Gordiaz is the partner of Snaganum who survived the shooting, and we wonder whether the fire bombing might be a message to him. Right well, time will tell on that one what happens from here, Anthony.
Speaker 4: We wait.
Speaker 1: Australian lawyers are being I guess brief as we speak, to help Indonesian lawyers defend that these three people, these three Australians that are in detention and whether that leads to prosecution or not, we'll have to find out. But it doesn't get any more serious. You're in a foreign place, you're in detention, you are away from your family, and we'll have to see what happens there.
Speaker 2: And it's interesting because, as you say, the law works quite differently over there. And when we do have these big international crime bits of news that have come out of particularly Bali but also Indonesia that involves Australians, there is a media contingent and there is an entire media story around that, so that will launch up as well. And I have to say some of our reporting that we've had so far, the authorities seem to be quite open in terms of the information that they're giving us.
Speaker 1: There's a lot more access in Bali and right across Indonesia there's a media spokesman that tells you what evidence they've found. You know, you can get access to look at CCTV all sorts of things. It's quite different than sort of the darkness that we are in here when there's ever a major crime. So for an investigative reporter like yourself, well, we're working with one of our colleagues in Bali. Her name is Kaimang Viani and she's a freelancer and we just you know, tik taking with them and trying to get to the bottom of it all.
Speaker 2: But if you needed to go over and report, and if you needed a hapless podcast producer to come along with you.
Speaker 1: I think that's I think that we're making a call now to our busslees. Are we we want a trip?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it's it's it's you know, I'm sure that the Indonesians like working with Indonesian journeys, but you know, what's going to happen here and the access you will eventually get to the people if they're charged, if they're actually going to be prosecuted, you can, you know, you can talk to them once they're you know, if they go to Kerricaban or one of those prisons.
Speaker 2: Is that what it's called corocaban? I think yeah, But that was speaking of another major trial, obviously, the chappelle Kaulbye Amita Swell. That's it reporters yelling at her, you know what did you do? Yeah, just across the quadrangle to her as she was sort of being taken from place to place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's you'd never see anything like that here. It's it's really kind of a I guess what you call it completely open justice. Some would say it's a free for all. It's it's just very different. These guys that are in detention over there, two of them are from Sydney, one of them was a plumber until relatively recently and and the other two one of them is from Melbourne. And one of the interesting things is that relatively little is known.
Speaker 2: About them, so not known to authorities.
Speaker 1: Not particularly right, mostly minor stuff.
Speaker 2: So it will be interesting to see how they wind their way through the Indonesian justice system.
Speaker 1: If they are involved, it will be very interesting to know who they're working for.
Speaker 2: Wesh, you'll have to wait and find out. And with that, thank you very much for coming in. I know you're busy, and we'll be reporting on this for the foreseeable future and following these three through the justice system. But until then, all is left to say is to say thank you doubles for your time today measure as always, Thanks.
Speaker 3: ABC, thanks for listening. Life and Crimes is a Sunday Herald Sun production for True Crime Australia. Our producer is Johnty Burton. For my columns, features and more, go to Heroldsun dot com dot Au, forward slash Andrew rule one word. For advertising inquiries, go to news Podcasts sold at news dot com dot Au. That is all one word news podcasts sold And if you want further information about this episode, links are in the description
Speaker 4: Can I go Alon