Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, we're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with Doctyesmina, an incredible integrative GP, and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit v three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more. This is Healthy Heir with Amelia Phillips and welcome to one of my mini motivation episodes. These are shorter, targeted episodes where we tack one specific question or challenge head on. So today we are discussing the best strategies for preventing and managing our injuries while still trying to stay active, because one of the worst things we can do when we suffer an injury is to stop moving all together. I mean, depending on the severity of the injury, of course, but ideally what we want to be doing is working around that injury and still staying as active as we can. I wanted to get both a professional opinion but also a real life, objective experience on this topic. So oppose these questions to mother and daughter duo Michelle and Joan McDonald. So this duo created Train with Joan, a fitness platform and inspiring Instagram page with over two point three million followers, focused on helping women of all ages, but particularly older women, to fall in love with strength training and to reimagine a new version of themselves. They are so so inspiring. I encourage you to check out all their programs, and I've put links in the show notes to their programs. So here is what Joan and Michelle had to say about managing injuries whilst staying active. Up to sixty percent of women postmenopause report joint pain consistent joint pain. Joan, have you experienced joint pain in the past and particularly in the last ten years of your transformation journey. And if so, how have you managed it and kept exercising.
Speaker 2: Well, I have arthritis for one thing, and that doesn't want to go away, so it's only gotten worse.
Speaker 1: OSTEO or rheumatoid arthritis.
Speaker 2: OSTEO at least that's what they say where hands especially, but in my knees, my shoulder. I've had the shoulder operated on, I've had a knee replaced, I've got to get another one replaced.
Speaker 3: And I've even had it starting in my toe.
Speaker 2: I don't want it to spread because your feet are what keeps you going.
Speaker 3: You have to be able to move.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say it started at the ten years, probably twenty five years that I.
Speaker 3: Started with all that.
Speaker 1: And so in the gym do you work around the pain or how have you found the gym and exercising alongside your arthritis.
Speaker 2: Well, I use whatever equipment like bands and stuff like that, or risk sleeves or knee sleeves, anything that'll take that pain and center it so that it's not as painful, but it lets me do something.
Speaker 3: I will buy it, I will use it.
Speaker 2: I have to be able to work at the gym and as long as it's not debilitating, I can work through it, and I hope other people can do the same thing. If they can, you know, get through without actual stabbing pain, then that's great.
Speaker 3: Michelle.
Speaker 1: Let's talk through some of the most problematic joints and your top tips as a coach for supporting them. So starting with the shoulders. When you've got someone a client like Joan with they saw shoulders, how do you help either work around or help actually reduce the shoulder pain?
Speaker 4: Beautiful question.
Speaker 5: I think the shoulders, hips, and knees and elbows, which is almost everything, but those are the joints that we definitely see having more issues and kind of out of the blue too, especially elbows, like out.
Speaker 4: Of the blue.
Speaker 1: Oh, I had an elbow tendinitis last year for the first time in my entire life. I'm like, my elbows, really.
Speaker 5: I go back to I go back to you know, and I know other you know, menopause specialists talk both this.
Speaker 4: You know, menopause is.
Speaker 5: Happening on the backdrop of aging, and both men and women go through an acceleration of the aging processes in their mid forties, and we do another acceleration in the mid sixties, and we know that there's a lot of evidence that supports that. So when we think of that aging process. The guy that did the mom's shoulder surgery, doctor doctor Patrick Den, already in the States, and he said, what is the number. I think like fifty percent, Like once we look at the people in the fifty, I think it's fifty plus fifty or fifty five, but I think it's fifty. He said, fifty percent of people fifty and above actually have a slaptare, whether it's diagnosed or not.
Speaker 4: It's so normal. A what tax it's called a slap taar?
Speaker 1: What's a slap tat?
Speaker 5: It's a specific kind of a tear in the shoulder joint that's very very common.
Speaker 4: A lot of people.
Speaker 5: Actually won't it won't impact their ability to move, but other people it.
Speaker 4: Will negatively impact them.
Speaker 5: And it's really hard to tail from an MRI or from an X ray who will present the most pain.
Speaker 4: And it's the same thing like with spinal injuries. You might have somebody coming in.
Speaker 5: That is an excruciating pain and the tests show hardly anything wrong with them, and then somebody else might have what looks like a.
Speaker 4: Really severe diagnosis. But they're fine.
Speaker 5: They're like I just have a little twinge, and the human body is just it's it's so complex, and pain is also complex.
Speaker 4: But going back to what I see with my I definitely see.
Speaker 5: An increase with joint issues, whether it's a tendonitis issue or it's something related to arthritis, or the joint isn't gliding properly with the shoulders. I would say a lot of times it's tied to the scalpular not gliding the way it should be.
Speaker 4: Poor coordination.
Speaker 5: I don't want to get too techy, but poor coordination of your rotator cuff muscles is particularly your trap two in three and your seratus anterior not firing in the proper sequencing not firing enough, and your poor upper trap maybe compensating too much.
Speaker 4: And then you're trying to move, and then you've got.
Speaker 5: Posture, and you've been four or five decades with poor posture exacerbated by your job, and.
Speaker 4: Now you're trying to do a lateral.
Speaker 5: Raise and the humorous isn't rotating in the socket properly because through what I just said, it's slightly out of alive it and now we're getting that rubbing happening, and so I would say, don't when you're older, especially, don't push through the pain.
Speaker 4: Go and see someone and get a proper diet.
Speaker 5: If you can find somebody who can give you a proper diagnosis, I got to say that, get a proper diagnosis, because some things need to be addressed immediately through good physio and through rehab work. Some things might be better off with a surgical intervention.
Speaker 4: And I wish that we had tried. I wish we seen doctor Dinard a year and.
Speaker 5: A half ago, and even two years ago, and Mom might have not needed a reverse shoulder surgery.
Speaker 4: She might have needed just a regular shoulder surgery.
Speaker 1: In your experience, do you find that people that do the rehab where it might be oh, yes, we can see that there's some imbalances here and you've got rotator cuff weakness for example. Do you find that people that do the rehab and that boring fifteen minutes of the shoulder of rotations or whatever, that it actually works to really help port that joint.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, And I think, like my game, my mom is a good example. She is such a good student.
Speaker 5: She was doing her isometric you know, extern rotator holes so diligently, and doctor Gnara got to give him a shadow of his clinic had a complete video library. They were really big on protein, nutrition and rehab work. It was fabulous how much full care they gave to ensure the patient's for recovery. So it does definitely make an impact for sure.
Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, well, you're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three point sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with Doctasmina, an incredible integrative GP and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit v three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more. What about core stability and lower back If we're sitting here listening and we're just like, you have just got that locked and saw lower back. When you have your clients come in and really work on their core strength, what's your experience with lower back pain relief.
Speaker 5: That's a great question, and again I've been coaching for a long time. Part of it is, you know, I have a programmat I called the GPP phase, which is a general preparation phase, and it's full of a lot of unilateral work, things like bodyweight aredl to reach I'm sure you've done that.
Speaker 4: Right, or like a hip aeroplane.
Speaker 5: And all of a sudden, I go from gals, because we do video. We have people send videos so I can give them feedback and do form checks in it and all that. All of a sudden, it's like a ghost town. Nobody's sending me their videos. I'm just getting these check marks done, done, Dundu, And I'm.
Speaker 4: Like, these are some of the hardest things to do. Right.
Speaker 5: Where is the video showing me the proper coordination, the engagement of the you know, the core for the pelvic floor, the glute muscles, the trans versus doll and muscles, zero blinks, show me that you're not having any compensatory patterns, that your diagonal slings are coordinated or working properly.
Speaker 4: Take these seriously, gals.
Speaker 5: So anyone listening, and I don't want to overcomplicate things, but make sure as you're lifting weights that.
Speaker 4: You're moving well. You don't be perfect, but move well.
Speaker 5: Make sure you're not being lopsided, and if you are, okay, but do simple things daily to correct those imbalances, because those things, if you do the right, they can really add up.
Speaker 4: It's like again, like I said, you put braces on.
Speaker 5: Your teeth, you didn't have the where the retainer get them, vaz a line put it on. Do these rehab type of works mindfully, intentionally, get your form check with a professional, or take a videotape of yourself, and they really stack up and can really alleviate pain. A lot of times back pain is you know, because you're not using your core muscles. If you're overweight, that TVA is holding on to that visceral fat and your enlarged organs and it attaches to the lumbar spot. So these things can be addressed. And I hope everyone listening can be optimistic and empowered. There's little things that you can do today to make a change for.
Speaker 4: The long term.
Speaker 1: Joan, your knees have been problematic for you. I just love your thoughts on strength training because you've got such strong quads. What are your favorite quad and leg exercises that you feel cause your knees the least angst.
Speaker 3: Curls, the sitting leg curls.
Speaker 4: Mom's getting surgery.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you knew that, but she's We were going to have her actually getting surgery today, but because Jane and I are gone to Italy for twelve days, we decided to postpone it till when we get back.
Speaker 1: You're not doing a lot, okay, I can't.
Speaker 5: Doing a lot of quad work, but we're doing a lot of hamstring and stabilizing. She's got a couple of little like modified exercises to make sure the quad's don't atrophy. But we're not like trying to hypertrophy them.
Speaker 4: Or anything like that.
Speaker 1: We just want to keep it quite a No deep squats or lunges at the moment, by the sounds of things.
Speaker 2: I do some lunges, but not to the degree that I used to be people to do them, but I have to work that part of my body because I know I'm going to need it when I'm recovering, So you've got to keep doing something with it. So, like I said, the curls I do. I still do leg presses, but we don't go down as deep as I would normally go, pushing back with the one leg on this machine like.
Speaker 1: Kickbacks, the Donkey kicks. Yeah, I love that machine.
Speaker 3: They are still good.
Speaker 2: I can still do them without partly any pain at all. Anything that I can do without causing more pain is what I'll try.
Speaker 1: But such real world advice that you have and to see you working around it. Just to wrap up, ladies, I'd love one partying tip for managing or preventing joint pain in a mature body. Maybe Michelle, I'll start with you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, it's kind of what I said earlier, which was just to strive, have the intention to learn how to move well, whether that is videotaping yourself and looking at your body and how it's moving, or working with a professional, whether that's sports physio or working with a coach who's they should be looking at your videos and giving you some assessment, but learn what great movement looks like and aspire to that. And that's how I Traine mom Like, she didn't start off with great movement patterns, but we worked towards her developing that.
Speaker 4: And anybody can do that.
Speaker 5: So that's honestly what I would say if you want to prevent injury or even rehab, learn how to move well and really kind of be a stickler and watch for those compensatory patterns that creep up, because even though it gets into the finish line, how are you arriving at that finish line?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What's it going to look like in five ten years time? If poor Patton continues to develop?
Speaker 3: What about it?
Speaker 1: You joan parting piece of advice for injury management.
Speaker 2: It's pretty much what Michelle has been saying. But like I said, I don't work through pain. I will work through discomfort, but not pain. If somebody has given me a real pain, I have to stop. Because Michelle and JJ are so busy. I have a coach right now that helps me make sure that I do the movements the proper way. So yeah, and I prefer Michelle and JJ, but they can only do so much. They can't run a business and be with me, so I've got my own coach.
Speaker 1: I love that. I love sharing the love around. Well. Joan and Michelle, thank you so much for your wise words today. You are both such an inspiration and I encourage everyone to check out your programs and to follow you at trained with Joan. Thank you, ladies, thanks.
Speaker 3: For having me. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Familiar Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, you're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three point sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with Doctyesmina, an incredible integrative GP, and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transfer your health, visit V three six y dot Health, or check out the show notes for more