Speaker 1: The public has had a long held fascination with detectives. Detective see a side of life the average persons never exposed to. I spent thirty four years as a cop. For twenty five of those years, I was catching killers. That's what I did for a living. I was a homicide detective. I'm no longer just interviewing bad guys. Instead, I'm taking the public into the world in which I operated. The guests I talk to each week have amazing stories from all sides of the law. The interviews are raw and honest, just like the people I talk to. Some of the content and language might be confronting. That's because no one who comes into contact with crime is left unchanged. Join me now as I take you into this world. Today, I had to sit down with former bikei Owen Turnbull. Owen's lucky to be alive. He's been shot on two separate occasions and even had his home firebombed, which came close to killing his family members. It's a price paid for living the life of a gangster. Owen took us deep into the world of outlaw motorcycle gangs. He was a member of the Rebels before patching over to the Nomads, where he became the sergeant of arms, an enforcer for the club. But when he was sent to prison, he came to the realization that this is not the life he wants to live. Owen's a hard man with no bullshit approach to life, as you will hear today, he's now out of the biking world and educating young men to understand the cost of living this life. Now, this is a heavy conversation, but it's one I think it's worthwhile having Ohen turnbull welcome, Do I catch killers? Well, we can both have a bit of a laugh. For X cop and X bikey sitting down having a chat. Well, you could say that, you could say that we're parts of organization, gangs and different things, but it's sort of an accepted practice at Bikey's and cops neverthe two shall meet. It's funny how life plays out, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It's like, it's pretty funny considering off I left. I get along with like the higher up cops a bit better than I did some of the bikis.
Speaker 1: Because it's well, how we how we got in contact with I bumped into a current serving cop, yeah, and got to talking with him, and he said, oh, you should speak to this, but he's doing some good work.
Speaker 2: We do the doing the NRL gig together. Yeah, the juniors sharing my story helping them out of trouble. Well, don't want your money gambling all that kinds of stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, it's a good message to get across, but I think we probably should clarify that. Yeah, the cop a current serving cop you're speaking to. You're not an informant. No, no informant.
Speaker 2: No, let's put that on record. It's a job I got with the NRL talking to the juniors, helping them don't stray along the same path I did go on from potential NRL first grader to becoming a bikey. My story kind of helps out because a lot of the young fellows these days, they've got money in social media. They can get caught up on all that stuff. You know.
Speaker 1: So well, the world's attract each other, don't.
Speaker 2: They, because the intertwines.
Speaker 1: It comes across. So I would imagine it is an important message to get across. And that was the initiative of the Queensland cops.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The Queensland one was Gang Exit Gang Exit video. For me, it was me ben Geppert who was part of it as well. And there's another bloke who was with the Titans Gold Coast Titans through his career way to become a biking on stuff as well.
Speaker 1: So well, I watch the watch your video on it, and it's pretty heavy stuff and something that really got a strong message up front in the video where you talk about going to a funeral of a member that someone got up and said how much he's going to miss the brother and.
Speaker 2: He's the person that followed. Yeah, it's about twenty sixteen. Big there was a big time for the rebels, you know what I mean. So I knew a lot of things due to my position and getting told things, and back in my head, I'm like, fuck, what am I doing in this place? You're fucking consoling his mother and you're the one that organized it. I started to realize it's fucking mostly bullshit, but I still stayed in for a couple few more years.
Speaker 1: You learn your lessons, yeah, as you grow up. But it reminds me of mafia. Dudes always talk about you wacking each other. If you're going to get knocked that's probably by your best mate. When you at least expect you.
Speaker 2: See that all the time movies, real life, they get knocked by their best mates because it's business or something like that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, we had Michael Francis, he's a cape from.
Speaker 2: New York in Australia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I did a tour with him. But he was talking about how, yeah, if you're going to get knocked, it's probably by the person that's your best mate, which is it's a hard life.
Speaker 2: It's a fucked life, isn't it. It's meant to be like a brotherhood, but you're getting killed by your best mate or someone close to you.
Speaker 1: Just paranoia kicking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh fuck. There'd be heaps of times I'll get called on the BlackBerry and we used to have them I needed to come here, I needed to meet here, or I think I'm in the back of my head, I'm thinking, have I done something? Am I fucking gonna get something gonna happen to me? It was. There was a couple of times where I thought I was gonna get fucking like shot or knocked or bashed by a couple of people. I'd rock up to the President's house at the time and there'll be people I wouldn't even seen before there. I'm thinking, what's going on here, be on edge, couldn't get out of their quick enough. A just shows you like, and they just couldn't be brothers, couldn't even trust him.
Speaker 1: But to add to the paranoia, paranoia that's that's in your your own crew, then you've got the could be knocking on the door of.
Speaker 2: Other clubs as well. Like we had a thing where every common chero, every lander was a common shero.
Speaker 1: Yeah you didn't know, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So they think it's like three there's three big boys here. They just normal everyday blokes or Bikey's something going to happen, always on it, especially in camera. Was tiny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a small, very small place. Everyone's is business. Is it more relaxing being out of the gangs.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's so much better because down there, obviously it's such a small place. I can't just hide all the time.
Speaker 1: And what I high, I say, Hi, goodbye, very polite, keep it, keep it, keep it short.
Speaker 2: And yeah, they're good with me down there. They know I'm completely out and doing my own thing and I don't want anything to do with it, you know what I mean. But yeah, just keep it nice and polite, don't hate them. They don't hate me.
Speaker 1: Yeah did you? You grew up in Canberra?
Speaker 2: Yeah, born and raise the camera. Me.
Speaker 1: Mother was a nurse.
Speaker 2: My dad was a carpenter his whole life. And I got a younger brother.
Speaker 1: Right, okay, and you're a big unit and you're playing NRL.
Speaker 2: I I was hoping. I was hoping to get there. I stopped and I was playing soccer first, and then I was like to mommy, I want to play pay ruby league and your parents are real courtious, then I'm going to get You're going to speak head over and stuff like that. Finally was able to play rugby league. I was under elevens and twelve played for two years before I got selected for act score Boys, which like First South Wales, Cleansland, stuff like that. Who kept playing? I kept up to me under fourteen fifteen sixteens. My whole time growing up, I was completely dedicated to becoming an NRL football player. I was. I didn't associate with anyone and what age? What age was this about? Fourteen fifteen sixteen? And then I said, I said, I never touched I won't touch alcohol, don't touch drugs anything. I didn't touch drugs. Alcohol My first alcohols I was sixteen, and then from there it was like downhill into like just a spiral of lost on my cardio, no desire to play football, just wanted to chase girls.
Speaker 1: Did you put it down into the alcohol? It was just the lifestyle and the bright lights and.
Speaker 2: The lifestyle and the alcohol as well, because you don't realize how much of affect you I when you look with your cardio and stuff, when you're doing it every weekend and pecual you want to hang out with your mates. You've just turned eighteen as well, you're leave in school, going out to the clubs after after school it was cool the next day.
Speaker 1: There's so many stories of blokes that, yeah, all the potential in the world that could have made it at the top level, and they made a good living out.
Speaker 2: Of it, but the grog or drugs or get focus the way. You have a big thumbs up to the boys that can do both of that.
Speaker 1: Stuff, you know, But you look back now and you think, fuck what, I'm sure all the way.
Speaker 2: For what for people who aren't even there anymore? Why they don't care about me? You never cared about me. It's just fuck, it's just stuck with my guns and just kept my head down.
Speaker 1: So okay, you're fifteen sixteen, you're getting you got the taste of alcohol and the.
Speaker 2: Wall played hal mats for the Raiders during that time was when the first time I had my first sup of beer, alcohol and drugs and didn't touch anything before that. And you can tell from like how deteriorated I got from like my cardio. I couldn't even finish doing like one training session. It was that fuck. And then they burned me from that. They said, oh, was on the coach, you has your waste of fucking talent? Was the turbule? I fuck, I got a bit of a fucking to put my head in.
Speaker 1: Shame, shame, listen, listen, You're a waste.
Speaker 2: I still remember it stays in my head and kind of like the fuck it I saw myself out. But it's it's a bit hard when you're around a lot of people and it's like, well, I can do this and that. And then eventually, because I got kicked out at home, I sent to live with my uncle.
Speaker 1: What was that? You got kicked out at home?
Speaker 2: Dad? Me and my dad were always at each other. A lot of people, a lot of pressure on me growing up to play football, I think I was just trying to live through him, like it's just he's always he always used to be about, oh yeah, my son's this football is going to do this, And that's a lot of pressure.
Speaker 1: As I got older that that's interesting, and a lot of parents are like, that isn't it. You want to live vicariously through your through your kid, but it puts out the pressure on you.
Speaker 2: Because I just love it, just live and breathe at football, and then it just become a chore and I just hated it. Like we're training for Raiders on Monday, Wednesday Fridays. They were way before.
Speaker 1: Cheating.
Speaker 2: If I've lost fucking five kilos in onion was probably water eight, but you know five kilos from eighty five to eighty Yeah. I just I'd come off of like a birthday party or some shit. And we played the trial against Sharks the next day for getting picked, and fuck I played horrible rubbish, dropped the ball twice. I still remember it, and then fucking you see me, Dad and I had this shit say then they got cut from there, the waste of talent thing and then my dad always had each other's head. It chose next and fuck it you can get the fuck out, sent me up on a train to Barrow, lived in lived there for about six to eight months working. I was living in a garage. Your bedroom was a garage with a bed of the mattress and a TV. And I was working five dollars an hour sixteen seventeen years old. I was like slave labor. I fucking hated it and maybe it made me resent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, next career choice didn't really stay in the right direct. And you start working as a bouncer, didn't you How old were you then?
Speaker 2: Eighteen eighteen? I've got my old coach got me the job. Really, so, yeah, I had enough of living in a fucking garage. This ship moved back. No, I didn't even I just got on a train one day and came back. So it's got to make me Dad tell me to fuck off, you know, at each other. And now obviously I got to stay home. Wasn't nowhere else coming to go stay with them? And they got the job. Next thing, you know, because there was a pop in Tiger on the south of Camber and rebels would frequent it a lot, and they'd always come in and I think, oh, you know, these guys are bad motherfuckers because eighteen, you don't know anybout it and you're working the door. Yeah, working the door and inside the club, the bar, and being young, you don't know any But I don't think these guys are so bad hectic. And then I was hanging I met a few of them, hanging around for three months, and then I numbed up after three months. So I was about twenty years old.
Speaker 1: What and this is a you know, the cautionary tail because you're you're out of it now, But what what was the attraction to it?
Speaker 2: Like it's always the girls, the money, because I was fucking dead broke. I had no life skills. I'm no trade skills anything. I mean, best I could probably do is lift up some furniture and stuff and move. And so I started getting involved, like just hustling and doing drugs and stuff. I didn't touch cocaine. The first of a line of cocaine was with my president at the time. Yeah, I was still scared to do it. I watched that lend Bias doc go back in the day, I think it was, and he had his first line and he died from itself. Was always too scared to do it. That's probably, and then I'd eventually just start doing it and just kind of massive habit. I was broke till about twenty four and then that's when I started making bigger money.
Speaker 1: So how and you're working the door and the rebels are coming in all the bike How was that for you? Intimidating?
Speaker 2: Intimidating at the time.
Speaker 1: Intimidating. Imagine you're intimidated because.
Speaker 2: You don't know any better and you don't know who they are. But then you join and you realize, fucking most of these guys are just fucking blow asses, you know what I mean. They've got no balls, hard about him. Nothing.
Speaker 1: But when you're young or you don't know anything about that life or from that life, you think, Okay, this every day bloke, he's a bad motherfucker because he's a bike And then you're joining, he's just like the guy that's made to go do the shitter stuff, you know what I mean, Just like he's in the club just for a fucking so you can fix a bike or do certain things, you know what I mean, Bring bring a skill set to the club that can help. So how did you you said you're asked to be How did that happen. Did you start going to parties or hanging out?
Speaker 2: And I was start hanging out with a couple of the members who just got their colors, like they were young, about a couple of years older than me. And I'm hanging out three months, are going to ship clubs, partying, doing all kinds of driving around, just a shit like that. And yeah, after three months told us if I wanted to join, and I was like, yeah, sure, got nothing else going for me? What am I doing fucking working two days a week doing nothing?
Speaker 1: And so that that seemed to be better offer. Did you have have an interest in bikes? Was that to touch the bike? It never touched a hearty in my life. Okay, we'll yap skill.
Speaker 2: So actually the first time I got the bike, I paid borught off them. It's fifteen thousand. There's a piece of shit. Soft Tail twousand model soft Tail went for a ride, got mees went for ride the first time, and I was horrible because you got to lean them and they're so heavy. I tried, I was trying to turn the bars, come around around about I'm like, oh, fucking nearly dropped it. And then I'm going up a hill. First year second year, I'm like, oh, I've seen them like don't bet it go down and you know it slows them down a bit. And I did it, and I think tailor spin. I dropped the bike. So the first time on the hardy I was horrible. They it's not not a good bike to be nah nah. But yeah, from there I just kept riding around enjoy it.
Speaker 1: How long were you non for?
Speaker 2: I did twelve months. It's like, I think it's mostly mandatory everywhere twelve months.
Speaker 1: Describe and everyone has a different experience, but it's generally not overly overly pleasant. Describe your experience.
Speaker 2: Being noms like being a slive really and doing the most stupid better ship, or like why am I doing this? Are you that fucking lazy that you're calling me at four in the morning to go and get your hungry jacks? Or are you fucking I had two sponsors. One of them is missus was pregnant, and he lived across from the hospital, like literally a fifty meter walk. I lived about half an hour away. He caught me, I needed to fucking I need you to come and take me to me and my misses to the hospital, just gonna get a check up for the baby, like I'm fucking doing that, you know what I mean, Like you fucking live right there. It's like, are you that fucking lazy? And he fucking lost it. And I've had some sort of a reputation, but I was looked after and I didn't get in trouble for telling a member to fuck off and like all this kind of shit with oh yeah, big striking, and they fucking a lot of the older members and that didn't like me. I'm not going to be stuck up, but I knew I was better than you, know what I mean, Like these these guys are fucking like I joined, and I'm like, holy funk, A lot of these people are really fucking blow asses.
Speaker 1: Yeah and that, yeah, well I wonder because you're fairly outspoken, there's no.
Speaker 2: Bullshit that it might be the same as a cop where you go in and like fucking better than these people.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, well there's good good cops, bad cops, and I'm sure the same applies with the bikis. But okay, so you become a member, what what's that involved? And I don't want you to go down the path of revealing club secrets. Will put that out because of that. That's not what it's about. This is your your personal personal story.
Speaker 2: But got my colors. There's me. I lived at the clubhouse with another mate another none lived there. We're both broke as fuck. We had like we're just doing a lot of missions things of that, Like we had to earn our colors basically, and we got our colors. And they always they try to stick with my chapter. They try to like scare you when intimidate you, but it's all a joke when you get your colors, and like they went in. I just smiling. I was laughing because I knew I was geting my colors and they're trying to put on like a facada. It's like you're in trouble, mate, we know what you've done. Did that? I started laughing, like it's not a fucking laughing matter. And I was like what And then yeah, they've got my colors like this straight after and then you have a big party, how like you were.
Speaker 1: You're reflecting now and your attitudes change, but that at the time, was that something that you're gone, Yeah.
Speaker 2: That was my number one goal in life is come around that you were. I got I got their r for far before it even like like a week after I got my colors down my leg. Yeah, you know you're to wait five years, But I.
Speaker 1: Said, what the tattoo, You're in it forever. Yeah, that's what I say.
Speaker 2: You see, like all these young fellows now get look at the tattoo shop and they're getting like whatever club and then you're like, you're going to get that. You know eventually you're gonna get that removed, right, No, I mean forever. So I was saying the same ship.
Speaker 1: But that's that's so that that's the experience of yeh been through it and looking back because you wouldn't have thought that at the time, because I think it's interesting what your attitude was at the time.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is my world totally different. So I lived and breathe it like it's all I wanted. It's all I wanted to do, and be I was like, yeah, I want to become president on this chapter. And then all the politics when you get higher up and stuff, you're just like it's very clickie, like a lot of childish, backstabbing shit, and it always revolves around money.
Speaker 1: Where you put any group of people together and there's always going to be.
Speaker 2: A lot of fucking jealousy, especially from older members or like they've been there for like ten fifteen years and here you come in. You're like in there for two years and you're already above.
Speaker 1: Them, and what was expected of you being a member, like put the club above everything else?
Speaker 2: Yeah, stuff, You pay the fifty dollars a week dues for a rubbish club hours every Tuesday, you got the church, you stay every Friday's manatory, you've got to go. You can't leave until twelve. And I've got fucking sick of that stuff because it's you'd sit there and you do the same thing every week. You'd get on it like you have a couple of lines and then be like he'd be repeating they'd be repeating the same stories, and He's like, fuck, this is boring. And then it got to a point where a lot of the chapter will get jealous because I was hanging out with like normal mates because I was just fucking sick of the staying there till twelve o'clock or children a bit longer and just repeat the same shit, same stories. It's like, this is really fucking boring. It's not fun at all.
Speaker 1: It looks like it's fun, sounds like it sounds like a group of cops going out on the piss talking about how good we were in the old days.
Speaker 2: That's the same thing like this. It's like you're a president or whatever telling us a year when I was a normous I was under this guying, you know, to earn the colors, and you know, repeating the same stories every fucking week. It's like I fucking heard this already, and it just becomes tiresome where you're just thinking of excuses not to go.
Speaker 1: It's funny the psychology of it. And you talk about, you know, you've kicked out at home at sixteen, you were going down the path of NRL, which would have been yeah, you got bikes, got cops, you've got NRL teams. You know, it's all been part of a group. Is that something you were looking for?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we have anything, because I've been kicked out at home or come back, I've had mates. But it's like we're not doing my life, not doing anything. I wanted to feel part of something. Really, It's like that's what I'm saying. When I first joined, the President goes, I'm going to turn you into a soldier, and I thought, oh, that was cool. That's cool. Shit, he cares about me. He's going to buy me food, looking after me, stuff like that. So it's like, Okay, the person really cares about me, like don't have a good relationship with me dad and my mum, Like you know, I can count on these guys to look after me. But liked talking shit behind your back all the time out of jealousy or the other members and shit like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so when did the early stages? How long were you in it where you thought this this rocks are like the lifestyle you're living at the clubhouse, which has this inherent dangers too, because there's a lot of the clubhouses that get shot up all time, fucking.
Speaker 2: Fire bombed everything. I was living there when when of them happened when I was living there when I got rated ones too, But like, yeah, it's just a lot of jealousy and comes being a little favorite.
Speaker 1: I guess, right, Okay, so you probably a bad terminology, but the teacher's pet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I did think mixed beach and stuff, you know what I mean. It's like, oh fuck, I'd rather not be driving him around every fucking day all day, you know what I mean? You do it?
Speaker 1: Then, did you have to fight like there was a lot of punch ups and.
Speaker 2: With other people and stuff. Yeah, I got to do this and that's when I was the hang around. The first thing we did was that was it was one of the people that have shot at him or something before this happened before I joined, was getting tattoed at the shop that they own, and we're told to go. We've got four or five of us have to go wait there around the corner to come out around there for about a couple of hours. Finally walked outside and it was over within like ten twenty seconds, you know what I mean? That was like my first thing I did for the club really right, Yeah?
Speaker 1: And how did you feel with doing that?
Speaker 2: Was it just mad? Yeah? I was on edge of beer. You get to doing sad much stuff. It just comes natural. You don't even think about it.
Speaker 1: So you become de sensitive because you come across as a bloke got a conscience and you've got a brain, and.
Speaker 2: Then you're just doing everything. You know, sometimes you don't like and you don't want to do things, but you fucking have to as well. You just like to get a fucking over with, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: And what what about the drugs. Did that get older you? Did you become depending on.
Speaker 2: The cocaine was the biggest thing. But I didn't become really dependent on that until about four years after I joined. I was. I broke bumb for a lot of years because I started hustling making money with like the pingers, the pills that I got done with, all the cocaine, bottles of valium. It's making a killing. And then yeah, we're doing like an ounce a week cocaine and funct you you were doing that, but I was getting people to come over. Yeah. I didn't want to do by myself. I felt like a piece of ship, degenerate you, which I was, but I was like, fuck you. There's people skipping work to come over, and and.
Speaker 1: I would imagine when you're living that lifestyle and then you're on the days that you do sober up and clear your head, you'd be back down.
Speaker 2: What am I doing life? It's the rebels. And then we we had that national run of Perth to come back and we had a big foury out within our chapter. We had in our colors. We throw them at at the North Side Clubhouse and left and then within like a couple of days we'll get offers from like No Mads, and then we got start talking about patch over to another club or do this or that. So we talks like Nomads, Angels and a couple of other clubs.
Speaker 1: Explain, explain what patch over means, I know.
Speaker 2: Throw, throwing your own colors and enjoying another club basically. But so we settled on the Nomads, and so we took our rebel gear. We took it to like the North Side clubhouse lit on fire. They all come running out, blah blah blah, stuff was happening and left. Then they didn't want to bar. And then we went over to No We chose Nomads, went up there, had dinner, met all the other boys. We were along kind of clicked. But I didn't realize we had to pay till after the three und a k for us to get into the club or something like that. I was like, we could have joined another club for free. You know what I mean, we're paying three on a green.
Speaker 1: A lot of politics in it, oh, sounds of anything, any kickback or any payback, I should say, leaving the rebels with rebels.
Speaker 2: We we kicked it off. It was our chapter. It was on about eight of us. We kicked it off with all of them, so like northwest East stuff like that. A lot of things happened over three days, and then they didn't want to buy anymore, so they all threw their clothing the rebels. There was no one more rebels there, and then they tried to come to the Nomads, and it's like, fucking the reason we left in the first place was because of what you fucking you know what you're trying to come to us for. And I was adamant. I was like that they are if they fucking come on buck and leave it. I was sergeant at that time, so I was doing a lot of shit. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So when you when you're left and joined the nomads, you've handed your colors in, you've gone with a crew, you still must have mates in the rebels.
Speaker 2: And the funny thing was, I'd bring up some boys from city and they've got the ships at me about it. Yeah, what the fuck, bro, you know we do? I mean, fucking is what it is. You know. I'm well to him as you would be loyal to yours.
Speaker 1: But it's a culture, isn't it. The rules that you don't stand until it happens to you. Or you go through it till you get fucked over and you're like okay. So how long were you in the rebels for?
Speaker 2: I think it was about four years, and then the nomads for two years.
Speaker 1: When did which was a.
Speaker 2: Fucking wild time? Yeah? Over overall, more action happened in six months than ever happened before that.
Speaker 1: When did you get When was the first time you went to prison?
Speaker 2: October twenty seventeen. I was in there for three months. I got bail. I was just doing I was hustling at a lot of drugs. Then, Yeah, hustling a.
Speaker 1: Lot and tell us, tell us about your arrests and the build up, how.
Speaker 2: That first started from my birthday and the rest on my birthday and locked up. I had a lot of money owing to me. It was about two hundred and fifty three three out a K. I told my best mate. Had we bought a cafe? It was ninety six zerusan sweet? Because do you hustle on your sell that stuff that the ideas you go to legit, you don't keep fucking doing it. But yeah it makes sense. Yeah, so I'm going to git. We're gonna do this, you know, I mean, whatever I get locked up on my birthday. I bought the cafe with okay, bro, and can you collect this money for me? Because I still owe someone? And yeas, sweet, sweet, you collected at all. And then like two or three weeks before I get out, like my missus at the time and my mates. So he collected like three hundred k and just disappeared, left his miss is everything. So I'd got out and I'd had nothing, So I was stressing us. Was I've got to pay my fucking up the road as like fuck. I was doing anything I could. I was organizing four thousand pills to this bloke he messaged me. I knew him from used to sell to him before. It was the setup. He goes, hey, I want to get some pills. So I got out and the bail was only out for two or three months, and so I've got the pills. We're in the car together. In the paperwork I've seen I started laughing, showing everyone when I got locked up again, and I started laughing til it's like you fucking serious. It's in the paperwork. It has me looking in the car with him going to meet his mate. We see I see his mate. I turned him and her mate looks like a fucking cop. Turns out that he was a fucking cop. So I'd give him this cop fucking four thousand pills.
Speaker 1: That's not a good idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it happened numerous times. I was thinking, in my fucking gut, I knew it was a fucking cop the whole time. I knew it was a cop. Yeah, you're living. You learn though, And that thing was out of desperation, as I was like, fuck, I need to make money quick, going from having all this money it's nothing and this.
Speaker 1: Is your illegal activities, that's a source of your income.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the whole literally, fucking I didn't have a job entire time I was in the in the bike is. I had a job from like for a couple of years. At the start, I was working at the door at the strip club and I was doing the Saudi Arabian Ambassador's residents.
Speaker 1: Yeah security, yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, so I need to have a job. Blake, I know that went through the gangs and all that. He was described himself as becoming a citizen after he left there. Before there and he said he was an outlaw. I won't mention the club, but the president was saying that it's about time you get a job, and he said, well, fuck that, I'm an outlaw law job.
Speaker 2: Is that the the you need a job? Like he's going to pay dues? Are going to pay for your by bike or do anything? Really going to go going on a run? You know how you're going to pay for hotel stuff like that? You know what I mean? Actually I was just selling a lot of drugs and making a lot of money. You need a job and I fucking didn't have a job.
Speaker 1: Tell us just say, people that don't understand the biking world, give us an overview of a week in a week without giving yourself up on anything. But what's the week in the bike? Is you got your club meeting.
Speaker 2: On a night as with a job or without a job, without a job, what it'd be Monday? I'd wake up at about eleven am, probably have a line of rack or something with the mother, my housemate, with other boys. We'd chill out, we'd try and get girls. We scroll on Instagram, put up I was young with twenty twenty one years old? You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Young?
Speaker 2: It's just putting up photos driving around trying to sell drugs, flat stick and then Tuesday would come, you do the same thing. It's this your Groundhog Day every single day. And there'd be days where you wouldn't sleep for like three nights. You'd be just doing big vendors, and then you'd get in trouble.
Speaker 1: Trouble through the from the game. Yeah, for doing what you meant to be doing.
Speaker 2: There wass another one where we went about Facebook. At the time, this is before like social medias were a real thing with bikes. Yeah, we're allowed. We're allowed of Facebook. So a lot of would have secret ones because you're fucking young. You want to talk to girls and you want to do things. I've got found out. I've got to find fifteen hundred dollars for having Facebook, and then like two weeks later, through through the through the have a hearing, you get fifteen hundred dollars, have anyone representing yourself. You don't even get represented. It's like, man, you know the rules, fifte hundred bucks. Fuck, I don't know. Poor as fun. There isn't nothing as it is, so you just give them money. And two weeks later they unbanned that you were allowed to have Facebook. So it's like what a fucking joe? Okay, they're going to get the money backs, Like, no.
Speaker 1: Mat didn't make it retrospective.
Speaker 2: Yeah the fuck on now we're going to use it to recruit. It's like, fuck, this kind of happened like two weeks ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know that's the life you you're a young fellow. I've had spoken to other bikies that were working life and they're saying that work of life is there. They're different ways of being in the clubs, like as in they had jobs and the bike bike.
Speaker 2: If you had a job, you're probably a bit better off. You wouldn't have to do as much. That's prob. I had to drive him around all day every day. I'd got to get it, come to mine at ten, pick him up, drive him around's been talking, going around, just doing a lot of talking. Sergeant natural state sergeant. Oh. Sometimes once a month, every Tuesday, I'd have to drive him up at Sydney for the fucking big meeting. Once a month. It's a lot of driving and I'd rather At the point I was like, I wish I was going to have to come up with a lie and say I have a job so I wouldn't have to go and.
Speaker 1: See the life you're describing them. We've all been through stage uber driving, but we've all been through stages in life that you don't quite like what you're doing and you're sort of put up with it. You're taking a high risk being in the bike is you're not enjoying it by the sounds of it. There's the highlights, like you said, the women and the drugs at the start were a highlight, but that can become a bit repetitive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the thing, Like I want to fucking we've got made Sergeant arms. There was a lot more responsibility as well, and you couldn't really say no to doing anything because I had to do it because it was my position. I didn't There's a lot of things I didn't want to do what I had to do it.
Speaker 1: I want to talk a little bit more about the role of sergeant of arms because it seems like the poison Chaloue and the amount of people.
Speaker 2: A position with a lot of power. I cann's basically just stand forcing an action. You can do whatever you want. You got more power than a VP. Basically you can. I don't know if it's with every club, but the clubs I was in, you could sergeant Arms you could. I can force violence on any member at any point if you wanted to, you know what I mean, for any reason. So and I hated doing that ship. What's especially like the young fellows because I was coming up as a normal I fucking hated it. So I was like, I'm gonna put them through that ship. I'd take them out to party with me and they'd get in trouble. You know, I'll get in trouble too, you know what I mean. But yeah, I didn't want to pull other ship. And this is fucked up, and you're thinking, fuck me, why do you put me in this particament position. I now got to pump out in front of everyone.
Speaker 1: So I make the observation of living the outlaw lifestyle. There's a lot of rules and regulations, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for suppose outlaw live your life how you want. There's a lot of rules, and they're going to go to the Constitution and ship like that. You can't do this, you can't sell this, that's a lie they're doing that. You can't sell this certain drug, you can't do this, and they're all doing it anyway.
Speaker 1: Could have anyone first of all, did anyone try and pull you away from the lifestyle. Did anyone that you respected sort of tap beyond?
Speaker 2: I think all the ship that with the cops were fucking around, and you pushed me further into it. I understand they got a job to do, just saying ship as well or fucking just destroying ship. It's like, why are you doing, cosucker? Just make me when I you coming in the clubhouse and ripping it apart, or even like your are in bedroom like my parents' house and they just tear it apart.
Speaker 1: It's like, how how were you were you back on speaking terms with your old before I got locked up? I was you went in as a gang member?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 1: What what's that like in prison?
Speaker 2: Well, they're segregated. It's like you got like different club yards. So you got like comos, rebels, phinx, no, mad's like different yards. They're all separated. You have no contact at all, and if there is, that's a mistake on the screws part, which happened a lot ironically, if you ended up in the same yard, not in the same holding, like you say, you're going up for meds or you're on for a VL sometimes that you accidentally get put in the same holding cell and.
Speaker 1: So what's the mentality then if you're you got to do it because you're on camera as well.
Speaker 2: And it's like because there in there, it's like their own little community, you know what I mean. Like it's the screws and camera, the screws and the inmates talk, you know what I mean, and you hear it all the time. Fucking oh yeah, this kind of bitched out to him. So like the first time I locked up on my birthday, when I first went in, I got put in the cell where you before you get transported to the prison. I got put in. Is one of my best mates back in the day. Will rebels together over the comments. It's good guy, awesome, but we just we were put the same thing and it's like, we fucking have to do this, you know what I mean. So you got one cunt block on the camera when him going out of it. Oh, I sit here and I understand, God, dummy, you understand it. Oh no, mad, he's a comment.
Speaker 1: You know, I understand understand violence. But the last time I thought someone I didn't want to fight was in the school yard when the kids are forming round.
Speaker 2: Game to do it a fight, fight, fight, But it doesn't look good because because like camera's a small place and people talk, you know what I mean, so they find out everything, Like my mom mum found out like a day later what happened. I was like, what are we talking about? You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: But like, do you like I'm saying, yeah, as you get older, you might have to have a fight. You understand that. But he's a bloke that you haven't got a real gripe with. And as business though, it's like just club ship. It looks like schoolboys stuff in that. I like you, but I'm going to have to punch on because otherwise we're gonna And the only.
Speaker 2: Reason we fought was because he started to comos and which I'll think it back then, if like I was saying before, if I had a president like Alan Meahan or whatever, I'd still be there because he's like the ideal boss. He's a fucking gentleman, a different way of caring. He gives a fuck about his boys.
Speaker 1: How did you end up sergeant arms? And what's the quality of the sergeant arms they look for? You're going to have to be able to look after yourself because violence I didn't.
Speaker 2: I wasn't made sergeant arms because of fighting or anything. She was like a lot of other things. But yeah, I was always if I was asking this something, I would do it within reason. Like there'd be one time where we had an arrival club beefing with heavy at the time eating or eating in our area, which is so fucking they're eating in the area. We've got to do something about it. And looking back as so fucking sad.
Speaker 1: He's embarrassing, it seems. But you look back now with the distance from it at the time.
Speaker 2: If I think it's a imagine what other people at the time think about that ship.
Speaker 1: So someone someone's come into your patch. Basically, yeah, sons in our area. So we got to do something about it. So these I was sober, a couple of arts were sober, and the rest they were on a bender at the time. They found us out. They found out they were having a feed where we frequent and I was like, I want you to go there, and I wanted to fucking shoot it up, like spray it. I'm thinking, are you fucking serious, mate?
Speaker 2: Like it was me. I was sergeant. We had another young fella brought in and then a driver. I think you want me to go and shoot up a public fucking area at seven pm at night, like prime dinner time on a Friday night. It's like, you fucking dumb, Like and I it's like, what if I hit someone or even if I don't, I get like them. I'm doing to do like ten to fifteen years easily. Yeah, yeah, and throw throw my way, throw away my life for what just because you've got to fucking sow ego. You can't do it yourself, you're fuck wed like within reason, I do it, but like that's just dumb. What's the point but you So we did it, or we drove past and outside the boys, I'm not going to because it's them as well. They're young. It's like we're going to do a lot of time for this too. If it's like we're going to go, we're going to go. We're going to tell him that they're not there anymore. Out there still. So we drove past seeing him, I said, okay, we're going to wait around a while, we're going to do anything. We're going to when I go back and say, oh, he's not there, not there anymore, and then leave it at that. And that's just left at that. Yeah, I think I was do you do you watch and we're out.
Speaker 1: I'm not asking if you got any inside knowledge or whatever, but my observation of some ship that goes down and people often say what's going on with this gang war or this or that? Sometimes it's as stupid are's things like that thing And it can be one person just talking tough and never undus falls.
Speaker 2: As I'm saying something in social media you said all the time like fuck you, fuck this club or fus and it becomes something out of nothing.
Speaker 1: Because I know the media often asking what's what's fueling this this violence, and that something's something stupid.
Speaker 2: It's tiny, miniscule. It's either money or a tiny little beef over a girl or something someone said on the grapevine and spun it and created drama. Yeah, I don't have anything serious.
Speaker 1: Really, What were your your parents thinking when you're in this, because you know, regardless of how old the whole old you are and how long you've been out of home.
Speaker 2: My mum hated it, and I didn't realize at the time all the damage and stuff I was doing to her job. Like I went in the house first, got has got shut up the first time a five. I tried to keep it a secret but because my mum's job is like, they've got intel and stuff as well, they knew what the fuck's going on, and go was it meant for me?
Speaker 1: I'm just trying to get a sense of it too when she's You know, when you're in prison, if they come to visit you, they saying what are you going to do when you get out? Because you're in how long did you get?
Speaker 2: For bears? But when I got out it hit the media too. Yeah, I looked at I was w a today Brisbane Times especially righted at your house. Yeah, the fucking Then the cops put the thing and I was seen running to the toilet trying to flush drugs, and I mentionedly he tripped over and during the thing, I was like you, I try to run you down in there.
Speaker 1: And so at the time, I'm trying to get the sense of you. At the time, did you think, okay, well this is just the price I pay it, this is this is cool? Did you get the ships with yourself and go like, well I didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't really think about it much until I started like affecting my mum's job, And then it took me going to prison to realize all the ship I was putting them through, you know what I mean. Like when I was locked up, there was a point where fucking in prison, I couldn't talk to me mum, just so she could keep her job. We had my lawyer divvy up a thing where we were I'd been like no contact for like two years, and then we couldn't talk for a bit till I got out.
Speaker 1: After I got out, and that that's purely because the job that she had.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not going to make it's not you all fault that I was.
Speaker 1: A piece of shit in conflict. Were you? Were you in a relationship at the time, yes, how was that.
Speaker 2: Together? And then we broke up after I got out because before I went back again. It's in there. You see a lot of the boys doing head miles over women in jail, Like I swear, amplifies, amplifies your feelings and stuff like that, because you think, oh, I'm going to get out, baby, we're going to get married, We're going to do all this, and they get out and doesn't happen. They see boys in there, Like I was in the yard with one of the boys and he would spend one hundred and fifty bucks a week on the phone just to talk to his missus, Like you we'd have the visit. It sees miss as the first thing you did. We'd come back and bring his missus again. Like guys go crazy in there. Yeah, in a relationship. And I was like, I'm not doing any of that. That make me time even harder.
Speaker 1: Well, I would imagine it would be harder. And I would also imagine when you're inside and you're doing a long stint, you'd be going, well, is she going to move on from me? Yeah? You don't know what was going on. You don't know, so it's kind of selfish to fucking I can keep them. Yeah, So how many stints? Stints did you do in prison to break it down?
Speaker 2: It was like locked up on my birthday was like October. Then all that stuff happened with the undercover cop and the wire and they got locked up again. It was like two would be years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what what was the second one?
Speaker 2: More the sale of the pills, cocaine and valium and proceeds of crime. I got more time for the value than I did the cocaine, which is funny.
Speaker 1: How did that break it?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think fifty bottles of valium's a bit more than an ouncer case.
Speaker 1: Yeah okay, yeah yeah. And so you didn't learn your lesson the first time.
Speaker 2: The second time, I'm thinking I had a lot of time. It was because my lay goes, you need a the early guilty player. He goes, I go, how we look, and he goes, you fucked like you've literally on video and photos giving an undercover cop drugs and receipt. You can't beat it. Let'st we can do like a psychroport report early guilty please. So I got twenty five percent off, and so I was lucky I got the full twenty five because I was looking at like he goes, You're looking like nine years like six on the bottom, nine years on the top. Was like fuck, I said, if I don't want to be in here after I'm thirty. If I said, if I if I'm in here after I'm thirty, I'm gonna fuck if I get out at thirty thirty one. I think I'm gonna kill myself, you know, because I want to waste the life. And then I went into the rehab yard, which is like the therapeutic community, which kind of like talking to someone helped me a lot, as well, I figured out what I want to do in my life, and like I talking like the people like you were a good Christian Catholic boy and all the kind of stuff. I was like, you don't have to be from the mud to get dirty, you know what I mean. It's more so I'm probably a bit more inclined to be smarter with that kinds of stuff, like making money and stuff. But then I got out, and then there's no incentive for any for them to help you and stuff Like I went out, I'm going to change my whole life. I'm going to do everything I want to do and be like prop. I wanted to be like a youth worker, so I did. I went to like CIT which is like TAFE. So I did CIRT three community services and then search for in youth work, did the whole thing, all the assignments passed them.
Speaker 1: This is when you're inside.
Speaker 2: No, this is like within a couple months a me get now right. But then when I went to the workplacement, I couldn't even fucking finish it because I couldn't get a lot of person's card. It's like fuck, And then they are these people they want you to change and change turn your life around and do anything. But then they don't help you or given an incentive or not even not an incentive, but they just like they make it hard for you to change. And then I'm lucky for me. I've got a good support network and good mates and family, but I didn't turn back and go back to all that doing that bullshit.
Speaker 1: Well, if you break it down, you had your first stint. You didn't learn from that because you've come out and done the same for you. But I would imagine that adds to your paranoid as well, because the cops know, well you've convicted drug dealer. Yeah, it's not hard to look around. What are you up to? What are you up to now? How long were you out before you got locked up the second time?
Speaker 2: Two months? Right? Okay, so you didn't ever in that space, they fucking yes, slam me. So you Yeah, well you've come it's all out of just fucking I need money stressing. Yeah, you've come out with the intent that you're going to continue on them. But the second time, you same time, like, yeah, I got a fucking what am I doing my life? Like my mum like still having drums with her job stuff like that, and I mean, my grandma was sick and fucking I'm thinking of the mirror, like what the fuck am I doing? I don't belong here. It's like I'm trying to be a piece of ship. But it's like a lot of the boys in there in jail. I don't do eyes, so I don't hang around that stuff or you know. I mean, it's like that's not me. I don't call my sell my home like a lot of people do, like yeah, I'm going to go back to my home or this that it's not funny. Fucking grew up a fucking nerd, you know what I mean, playing video games and watching cartoons and ship.
Speaker 1: It's like, well, look we might we might take a break. What I want to cover off on in part two. I want to break down the shootings at home and the fire bombing in a little bit more detail, because I think what's going on in the streets Sydney at the moment, and there's these drive by shootings and everything else going on, and I want you to give like a personal camp.
Speaker 2: There's another big wake up, Paul, like they did the trajectory of the nine millimeters. Yeah forty five sorry and mean mum wasn't in bed at the time. She'd have been in bed at that time because she's where she slapped with. She would have been right through her. Yeah, I'm thinking the.
Speaker 1: Fuck, Well, that's the type of thing.
Speaker 2: That's when I started to think about leaving.
Speaker 1: That's the type of thing I want people people to hear, because people look at it and think it will happen to other people.
Speaker 2: But I thought it would happen to me. No, you get get caught up in it, and then no one's going to fucking come and shoot up my house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know. But it's all that dumb bravardo that you have as a young blake and how you have got associated with doing the gang exit video and what the purpose behind that is and what you hope to achieve. We've putting this message out to young fellows life. I've got to say, the life you've described, now, yeah, there might have been some highs, but there's more lowers and highs.
Speaker 2: Isn't it guaranteed? Fuckings here? Looking back? Yeah, I think I'm so what. I'm surprised I'm not still in prison, honestly. Yeah, it should I had to do or got told to do. I drinks myself.
Speaker 1: But well, I suppose that's why people are going to listen to you, because you've been through being through the pathway. So anyway, let's discuss that when we get back Part two.