Speaker 1: This week, Rick Morton won the Prime Minister's Literary Awards for his book Mainstreak. It's a huge achievement and we're thrilled for him. This book was the combination of years of reporting on Robodet, a government scheme that destroyed lives at seven Am. We were lucky enough to work with the Rick on a series which we published in twenty twenty three about how Robodet was allowed to happen. And there's one episode from that series that we still think about all the time about a woman who saw what was happening and called it out. We hope you read Rix's important book, Mainstreak, and we hope you enjoy this episode from our series Inside Robodet.
Speaker 2: The Robodet Raw Commission has exposed an insidious scheme that turned the machinery of an entire government against its own people. The plan was to raise billions of dollars from welfare recipients by convincing in them they had fake debts. Those who imagined, designed and delivered it with their personal ambition about the wellbeing of the people that were meant to serve. But there were some on the front line who from the very beginning knew this government shakedown was wrong. One of those people was Colleen Taylor, who spoke up then and came forward at the Royal Commission. She was the one who told the truth and helped crack one of the greatest scandals in Australian government history.
Speaker 3: Wide open.
Speaker 2: Today we speak to the sending worker turned whistleblower, Colin Taylor, about what really happened when Robodette was first rolled out and just as the heads up, this episode does contain some pretty serious language around suicide.
Speaker 4: Hello, come in, very strange moment for me. Have you seen you on the Royal Commission? Welcome? Have a seat.
Speaker 5: That's all right now, would you like something to coffee?
Speaker 2: If I've just walked into Colin's house and it is small, it's really small. She lives here on her own, and she's wearing this little polka dot top and has already offered me coffee I think about three times. And she'll go on to offer all of our guests coffee and tea and biscuits, probably between twelve and twenty times for for the end of this recording.
Speaker 4: Now who we are I'm teaching myself as I get older. That would be really much to have the food that come up. Just help yourself.
Speaker 2: She reminds me a little bit of my mother. I must say. She's got statues and automents all around the house and behind her as we start talking, there's these statues of three meerkats who'll pop their heads up above the dan. I guess, and are on the lookout, And I don't know, it seems perfect. That's Colin Taylor to me. She is this small force of nature, methodical, wanting to do the right thing, and always on guard.
Speaker 5: So I'm Colleen Taylor, and I guess. Really I was a career public servant because although I did work in private industry, really from age eighteen onwards, I joined the public service in nineteen eighty four and worked in.
Speaker 2: So Colleen has spent almost her entire career in the Australian public service. She joined in nineteen eighty four, first with the Commonwealth Employment Service and then for Settling Proper, where she moved into roles in compliance and quality review. She became essentially a fact checker, always on the lookout for what was real and true, checking her colleagues and making sure that the welfare system was running as it should.
Speaker 5: You know, it was very much the culture then of we called it getting it right, and so getting it right related to the customer because you have to be correct, but you had to be consistent as well. So we also knew that so many people were trying desperately shoe the right thing, but often it was the Center Link procedures that prevented them from doing the right thing. And that's where it was so important that when we were investigating cases and looking at it, we're talking to people about why this happened and looking at what letters they were sent and what they were told. And you know, we used to waive debts, so we basically wrote debts off because we could see quite clearly that this person had not intentionally tried to defraud the government.
Speaker 2: See, Colleen was working in a system that used to help people, that gave them the benefit of the doubt. But that changed in twenty fifteen when something very strange started to happen at Centerlink.
Speaker 5: It was a departmental head and he came and it was an all staff information session. He was going around to all the various teams and he came to us Risbon and he was basically.
Speaker 2: Frontline workers get a visit from one of the big managers and they're told, hey, we're going to do things a little differently around here. That different thing was what we now know.
Speaker 5: As robodet and he said, what's going to happen is we're going to be able to raise debts from using the PAYG data from the Tax Office and just averaging it out over that PAYG period. And we all went, what, how's that going to work?
Speaker 2: At the very least in twenty fifteen, frontline staff who were briefed on this change knew it was morally and mathematically wrong.
Speaker 5: We knew that this was something that we would avoid, and here he was saying, no, we're going to go full steam ahead and we're going to be able to average across the PAYG period, when everything we did was to avoid that as much as possible.
Speaker 2: What management came and told Colleen and her colleagues was this compliance officers were to no longer look the files of people on welfare that they already had access to in their system. Further, they told them, don't go out and find out information. Some had the power to go to employers and get paylips, to go to banks and get statements, and none of that happened. That was the change. Instead, all they were going to do was take an annual figure already declared to the Australian Taxation Office and average it out into equal discrete amounts over twenty six fortnights in the year. They were going to use that to tell a customer, you've got a debt, even if they knew that they didn't.
Speaker 5: Even if you think, well, forget about you know, you obviously have no concern about the customer, or maybe talk about yourself, then wouldn't you find it easier to check the record Thirty seconds sometimes is enough, then send the debt notice out, have the customer, then have to try and contact, then have asked for a review, then have to go and review the dead and then there's a whole process that has to be gone through, which could have been stopped in thirty seconds from going out. But there was this gung ho. It became like it's almost like an accounting machine that you know, was devoid of all humanity.
Speaker 2: They could never have known then that the powerful people who cooked up the idea had legal advice that should have unequivocally killed the idea before it ever began. Instead, they found themselves in a maddening battle for the truth as people started dying. Perhaps more than anyone in the then Department of Human Services, it was Colleen Taylor who fought that fight. It almost ruined her.
Speaker 6: And welcome back to Richard in our camera scidio. Is Scott Morrison, the man who's stopped the boats and is now going to stop Who knows what we'll find out? Can I Scott?
Speaker 2: How are you good? Graham?
Speaker 6: Who are you going to crack down on because of Blakeloke? He's not going to sit there and do nothing.
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 6: Has that mean that anyone on the doll has got to look.
Speaker 7: Out, well, anyone who's who's trying to rip it Offter is anyone who's trying to rip off the welfare system because every welfare benefit paid every benefit.
Speaker 2: So even deep within the Department of Human Services, Colleen realized that this change was part of something much bigger. In fact, hating on people on welfare had become almost a national sport, and she realized that this was a part of that.
Speaker 5: And everyone brought into this Okay, we've got ninety five percent of people or more are ripping us off, so let's get stuck into them, and I'm really ashamed of the whole you know, from politicians to shock jocks, media, newspapers, the public public writing in. You know, everyone brought into this. You know, oh, let's get stuck into them. They're all ripping us off, you know, and how much must that have made people feel? But it was also from us as well, because you know, you have felt a shame to be a public servant. That we knew this was wrong, but oh here we were. We were just going a lot to do about it, you know, and it's like, where was our moral fiber?
Speaker 2: So this approach of averaging income, it was raw greed roverdebt. Could never have made the billions of dollars forecast for the government without the assumption that every last one of those so called discrepancies was going to result in a debt. And to do that, everything had to be averaged. And so this became a policy and it was rolled out to staff like Colleen.
Speaker 5: It never occurred to us that this was illegal. Why would we we think, Okay, this is this is something that's been formulated and it's come down and this is what you've got to work with. So we thought, okay, well this is what we've got to deal with. Let's make it as fair as we possibly can.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing. Colleen had evidence that the system wasn't being wrought it. She was being asked to hunt down people she knew from experience. We're not trying to do the wrong thing. In other words, she was being asked to be complicit.
Speaker 5: That was when I said, you're asking us to commit a fraudulent act. And we have a fraud plan which is supposed to be about identifying fraud within the employees, and I said this should stand for our customers as well. You are asking us to commit a fraudulent act by allowing a debt to go through by saying, Okay, I know there's something on the customer record that PU ows there's no debt, but sorry, that was provided two years ago and we can't use that.
Speaker 2: Here's what I find so compelling about Colleen Taylor as a person. She's methodical, and she applies this rigor to her own morality. You know, here watching this new system unfold against a backdrop of demonization, she is so disturbed by what she sees that, you know, the ordinary procedures are not enough. She told her direct manager. Nothing happened. She told the assistant director and was rebuked. And what's a good, hard working employee to do. She reminds me so much of these Metcats in this moment, because the meercats aren't on the lookout for danger just for themselves. They're doing it for the group, and Colleen is doing all of this for other people. And so she goes right to the top, and in doing so, Colin Taylor transforms her own role in Robodette from disgusted onlooker to administrative action hero. She wrote to the most senior person in her entire department, secretary Catherine Campbell.
Speaker 5: And my feeling was that she's obviously being misled, because I understood that at a secretary level, you wouldn't understand the minutia of everything. And I thought, wow, who better to tell her than me, who's been in the old way and the new way, who was across at all, who had the customer experience you have you. So I started typing up my email and I would do this at home and I'd be formulating and what have you. And I certainly ran it past my team leader to be sat in there office and he said to me, oh, Colleen, you really got to cut it down. They're just not going to read that much. I think that was when I burst into tears for one hundred and fiftieth time and said, no, I'm not changing a thing. And so anyway, then I sent it off.
Speaker 2: And secretaries of departments have strict and unwavering obligations under the law. Colleen Taylor thought Campbell was being misled. It was in Campbell's best interest. She thought to read her email very carefully and to treat it even more seriously.
Speaker 5: That morning, a phone call from Catherine Campbell saying we've received this and we're onto it, and she was organizing. She said, there'll be two of my staff we'll be doing a phone hook up, which was being organized for the next day. Very short conversation to say, Okay, I'm passing it on to these people to look at. And so I went out and said my goodness, you know, and was like, wow, they're listening. Is all great, and you know, So then we had the phone hook up the next day and I base went through everything that I'd gone through, and really I was pushing that, yes, we're stuck with this averaging, because at that stage we didn't realize that it was illegal. We thought were stuck with it. I was impressing, Okay, if you're going to do this averaging, this is all the bad results of it. This is and then this is how the process is working, and it's not working, and it's causing all sorts of dreadful things. I mean, I was there, I think several hours. Then in the end, I took the deep breath and I just remember, as clear as day. Okay, so what you're saying is the old process was very time consuming and laborious, and this is going to be much quicker and whatever. And I thought, I've just wasted two hours of my life. And I remember going out to the team leader and he went, I said, how to go? And I said, I don't think she listened to a word I said.
Speaker 2: The question, of course, is whether they intended to listen at all. Neither Catherine Campbell nor any of her lieutenant's dispatch to deal with the Erks and Colleen Taylor gave any indication they knew the importance of what she was desperately trying to tell them, Whether that was a studied or a genuine ignorance. Colleen does not know what she does know is that she understood exactly what the new income averaging policy meant. She knew what Robodet would do.
Speaker 5: So you felt as if there was nothing to be cheapd But the very awful thing was I said to them when I came up back upstairs after doing those reviews and it was quite clear these debts were going out with duplications of employers. I came up and I remember saying to them, you cannot do this to people. People will commit suicide. You cannot do this to people. And I remember one of the other team leaders said to me, you're right, Colleen, but it's just gone too far.
Speaker 2: Just weeks later, Colleen Taylor read about the death of Reese Corso in the Saturday Paper. He was a twenty eight year old florist, musician and beloved son and brother.
Speaker 5: And then when sorry, when it came out in the paper about Reyes, I remember that his beautiful face committing suicide. I stormed into the manager and I said, look, it's starting to happen, and it was just so awful.
Speaker 2: He was being hounded by private debt collectors on behalf of Centerlink. The Royal Commission proved years later that his debt belonged to the very first iteration of rubbodebt. He was being hunted via statutory fiction. He killed himself for a debt he did not owe.
Speaker 5: And anyway, so that was I left. I went on to leave in I think May of twenty seventeen, and took age retirement in July twenty seventeen.
Speaker 2: But what really After Colleen Taylor retired, she received a letter from the department. Now, remember she's been working there since nineteen eighty four, She's been promoted, she's diligent, she trains other people. But the letter wasn't to thank her for her service. It was to remind her that she faced two years in prison as she ever spoke about anything she learned throughout her career as a public servant. There was no other correspondence. In short, it was a so long and shut up, we'll be back after this. Years passed for Colleen, sitting in retirement, scared that if she ever spoke up about what she'd seen and heard, she would be punished. Australia does not have a comfortable relationship with whistleblowers. After all, she feared losing her own pension or worse. But five years after leaving the department, she saw an opportunity to tell part of her story. The Royal Commission into Robodet was launched.
Speaker 8: The Royal Commission will examine the establishment of the scheme, who was responsible for it, and why it was necessary, how concerns were handled, how the scheme affected individuals, and the financial cost to government, and measures to prevent this ever happening again.
Speaker 2: So Colleen worked up the courage to make an anonymous submission.
Speaker 5: Well what happened was I knew that it was important because of the detail, and I thought they're not going to understand how this worked in practice.
Speaker 2: And soon after the Guardian Australia reporter Luke henriy Gerns tracked her.
Speaker 5: Down and so I rang him and he said, your name is already out there. It's your emails are part of the exhibits and it's in there on their website. And I went.
Speaker 2: Wholy, And she thought she was going to jail.
Speaker 5: The next thing Royal commissioners wanting to get in contact with you. So we went through the whole song and Dad's again. So we went in there and talked to them and stupid me, I'm thinking, there's this lady there who was excellent. They were all wonderful. She's typing away furiously on a laptop and no, no, I can't. I'll mention so you've got a bit of background, but I really, you know anyway, so the next thing, well, if we'd like you to appears No, no, no, no, no no, I couldn't do that. And then well okay, and so they did a few sample questions and I said, come, I'm much better at writing things down. Could I just write something down? And then it's like, well we will do a statement. Oh okay, I'll do a statement. And of course that's what I haven't realized. This person who's been tapping away furiously is basically is the statement writing my statement. But I mean we went through it. We spent a whole day. It's always going through and changing it so that you know, I was happy with the statement and what have you. And then it was okay, well then you're going to be as a witness, and so oh no, And I really thought that I would either freeze or I'd burst into tears.
Speaker 3: A commissioner. I call Colleen Taylor.
Speaker 9: Miss Taylor, before you sit down, can I ask would you prefer to take an oath or an affirmation.
Speaker 5: So I was there sitting in the anti chamber or what it was. I waited so long that I'd just lost all my nerves what have you? And the other thing I did is I took off my glasses so I couldn't actually see people in the distance, and that helped. And I said to mister Scott, I'm just going to focus on you.
Speaker 9: You were formerly an employee of the Australian Public Service, and would this be right? You started your employment in the Australian Public Service on her about the year nineteen eighty four.
Speaker 2: And this is a big deal for Colleen because she's not like the senior public servants who are called to give evidence that Senate estimates or other parliamentary inquiries, or god forbid a robot at Royal Commission, where they're compelled to give testimony. Colin is a normal person and what makes her evidence so critical is that she never suffered the curious lapses of memory that seemed to affect her superiors. She remembered the details that other people just apparently didn't. She remembered how the system used to work, all its parts and procedures, and protocols and critically she knew what had changed and could explain how those changes happened.
Speaker 3: And then these are your words.
Speaker 9: Please allow me, as a loyal employee of many years standing who has only ever raised concerns in house, to respond to you directly, as your statement tells me that you are being misled, and I want to ensure my words reach you. We cannot find a solution if the problem is not correctly identified. It is possible we are not even looking in the right direction for a solution. And then the words in bold, there has been a very dramatic change within the last eighteen months to the way in which compliance successes income and calculates and recovers debt. See that, yes, And was that your belief that there had in fact been a dramatic change.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and this wasn't an iteration in debt recovery. This was a brand new money grab. Colleen remembered all of this, and when the Royal Commission came knocking, she told them.
Speaker 5: I feel really blessed so that I had the opportunity to be at the Royal Commission, because I think people must have had days and days and days and weeks of people going I don't remember, I don't recall. I wasn't there. I didn't get that email or.
Speaker 1: What have you.
Speaker 5: And it must have been a breath of fresh air someone to come along and say it was wrong and be specific about why it was wrong and that they knew.
Speaker 3: When did you finish your employment?
Speaker 5: I retired age retired in July twenty seventeen.
Speaker 3: Can you tell us what the reason was for retiring.
Speaker 5: I I just was spent. I think I just it was just the I guess, callous indifference that you just thought, it's just what people do to each other, and it was just so sad and it was and you just thought nothing's going to change. And it seemed to that it was for me hard to believe. I am a shy personal I am. I just didn't want to be front and center. I just thought, oh, this is I hope I can just fade away, because I didn't want it to be about me because so many other people had suffered and what have you. And I know that lots of friends and relatives were saying to me after I appeared, oh, you know, you're trending on Twitter and all this sort of stuff, and I'm going, oh, okay, and people were saying just all these wonderful things, and I thought it could really turn your head. And then there was an email from Jenny Miller saying, I wish my son had been able to speak to Colleen Taylor, sorry, it would still be with me. And I thought that puts everything into perspective. That's what I find intolerable about this whole thing is they lied about Oh, people commit suicide for all sorts of reasons and really had nothing to do with Robert. There was definitely a.
Speaker 1: Connection for Colleen.
Speaker 2: Getting a letter from the mother of the young man she had read about in the paper meant the world and she wasn't being imprecise when she was talking about Singe bureaucrat, saying you couldn't link Roberdette to people who killed themselves and that it would be unfair to do so because we just don't know what goes on inside people's lives. But what Colleen knows is that there are cases like Reese's, like another case mentioned in the same breath at the Royal Commission of a woman who killed herself after receiving debt reminder notices. In May twenty seventeen, there are cases that are inexplicably linked to ROPODEBT.
Speaker 5: And to then go on about you know, oh, well you don't know what's happening in people's lives, you know, Well, yes, you do know that people are vulnerable, people are on benefits, so generally there's lots of things happening in their life. These are not the people to treat as criminals. These are not the people to send out debt collectors to. These are not the people to make it as difficult as possible for them to navigate this system.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: And if you don't know that, you shouldn't be in charge of them.
Speaker 3: No, you shouldn't be making policies.
Speaker 5: And that's what I hope from the Commission, that they identify the people who should never again be in a managerial position where they're looking after things that involve the public. You know, because there was just it was like a that all had a botomies. There was the empathy gene had just gone completely.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: Whether that was a prerequisite to get into management, I don't know, but it's just, you know, it just I don't know, it hurts.
Speaker 2: It's easy now to look back and ask these types of questions, why wasn't it stopped? Why didn't anyone seem to care? And because of this Royal commission we know at least some of the answers.
Speaker 5: It pained me that the only thing that stopped it in the end was that it was illegal. And you think, and thank god those people doggedly pursued it all those years, But why wasn't it stopped? Because it was unjust, it was unfair, it was cruel, all these things, none of it seemed to make any difference. Just who was looking at that?
Speaker 2: And while Colleen continues to struggle with whether she did enough, whether she could have sent emails to more people or yelled more loudly, we know Robodet continued because there were many more people who didn't even try. They saw and they chose silence.
Speaker 5: The big thing was that disappoints me is they didn't deserve my loyalty. Still upsets me to this day. But there was that overwhelming thing of there's nothing you can do. You can just be a part of this horrible thing, of what you're doing to people, knowing that, yes, you would think stay there, fight, you know, and I still do this day think what could I have done differently?
Speaker 2: Well, you leave there with your head held much higher than almost everyone else.
Speaker 5: Yes, I am. I'm happy for what I did, and I'm so glad that it's on the historical record and that it's come up in the Royal Commission. And I stand every single word I said. And I'm very, very grateful to yourself, Luke and the Commission giving me this opportunity. But please let me go back into the woodwork.
Speaker 2: I think you can go back in the woodwork and hopefully a generation of public servants will be asking themselves, what would Colleen Taylor do? Yes, exactly, because that would be the right frame of mine.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 5: Thank you, thank you, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: The Royal Commission found that Katherine Campbell had ignored warnings about Robertett repeatedly. You'll remember that's the Catherine Campbell, the one who Colleen explicitly emailed about her concerns. She was involved intimately in the preparation of the new policy proposal, which removed all references to income averaging and had the effect of misleading cabinet. She was also found to have personally ordered her own officials to call off the request for legal advice from the Australian Government solicitor because to do so would likely prove embarrassing to her. Captain Campbell is currently on leave from her nine hundred thousand dollars a year job as a supervisor for the ucust Nuclear Submarine Project and as Colleen Taylor.
Speaker 7: Colleen Taylor and she'll probably kill me for it, saying her evidence was exemplary and Commissioner Holmes, as I said, did focus in that she restored faith. So I'd love to see Colleen Taylor, one of the frontline people in the public service, get a PSM. That's just a personal opinion.
Speaker 2: Bill Shorten said Colleen should receive a Public Service Medal for being one of the few public servants to step forward and try and expose what happened.
Speaker 7: Because some of the real heroes here weren't the people who should have been. The real leadership came from the rank and file of the organization who spoke up, even at risk of their own job security and promotion.
Speaker 2: Colleen'll be making a cup of tea and a cup of coffee, and I think there's a certain calm that comes with the knowledge that you did the right thing.