Speaker 1: From the Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Tuesday, July twenty one, twenty twenty six. What's the greatest threat to Australia. Turns out we are deeply divided on this question, with supporters of One Nation and the Coalition much more concerned about China than left leaning and university educated voters. That's an exclusive figure from the latest newspol survey Live now at the Australian dot com dot au. He wears a T shirt and sneakers with his suit jacket and speaks with a proud Northern accent. Andy Burnham is Britain's new Prime Minister and he couldn't be more different from the pms who've gone before. And he's talking big change too, from more offshore oil to renationalizing public infrastructure. But can the so called King of the North possibly fix the place even locals call broken Britain? That's today's story.
Speaker 2: I go with good grace, I go with a smile, and I go proud of everything that we have achieved.
Speaker 3: Another prime minister has gone another prime minister.
Speaker 4: That is our challenge to make politics work, to make it work better.
Speaker 1: Well, Britain has a new Prime Minister and he's got a massive job ahead of him, not least restoring some faith in what seems like a pretty broken society. Richard Ferguson is the Australian's Federal Political Bureau Chief and also one of our experts on UK politics. Richard andy Burnham does he make you feel hopeful as a Britain that there is a way out of what has seem like some pretty darkies for English politics.
Speaker 2: No, Claire, absolutely not, because even before Andy Burnham was set to meet the King and become Prime Minister, there was already infighting between his camp, between the camp of Ed Milliband, who everybody in the left of the Labor Party wanted to make the chancellor, and he's been talked out of it by unions, business leaders, members of the Labor right. He is facing lots of questions about whether he actually has any detailed plans. He's wanted to be Prime Minister for decades now, and yet there's no suggestion of any detail of what he's actually going to do when it comes to this kind of what he calls basically the reversal of forty years of economic and social policy starting with Thatcher and going on to Blair and Brown. I kind of think of that as Keir. Starmer was the stuffy headmaster that everybody hated, so they've put in and the cool teacher who everyone likes and everybody thinks he's their friend. And anybody who works in a school will tell you that the cool teacher is the one that usually everything falls apart under.
Speaker 1: I heard an unimpressed conservative commentator describing him as a guy in a black T shirt who wears Misscara, which is also a claim I know that's been brought against Jedd events. Do you think he does wear Miss Scara?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not wearing Misscara, but I am actually dressed as Andy Burnham for anybody that's watching on YouTube and on any of our platform channels. So I'm not going to criticize Andy Burnham for wearing black teas and suits, Claire, but he definitely he's so different to hear Starmer in every way. It's stuffy versus casual, it's London versus Manchester. It's no personality versus maybe a little too much personality. He's so different and he's a very good communicator. There's no doubt about that, he is very good. But the question is is the mirror of Manchester the scene as being the Prime Minister of Britain.
Speaker 4: This is a proud moment you have given me and my family today and an emotional one, but it is one for which I am ready. I am ready ready to lead and to build on the foundation laid by one person more than any other. Undercrestant Well.
Speaker 1: His big achievement is Mayor of Manchester. According to him, was taking back into public ownership the public transport assets and making buses, for example, much cheaper for people to use in Manchester. And he wants to take that idea and make it national, renationalizing assets that had been sold off like water supplies for example.
Speaker 4: A moment ago more power to improve your high street, backing local businesses such as the pubs and the shops that bring them to life. Make no mistake, everybody, I will be a pro business leader of the Labor Party as I was a pro business Mayor Todd Greater Manchester.
Speaker 1: This is coming as Britain is in a public sort of utility crisis. Really there's a drought and a heat wave going on, and people in large parts of Britain don't have any water because the privatized water supply companies aren't failing. That you would think would give impetus to this desire that he has for nationalizing things. How far do you think he's actually going to take that or is that just the kind of thing you say before you actually get into number ten.
Speaker 2: Look, it's interesting as well because his version of nationalization is kind of devolution plus nationalization. So it doesn't so much want all of these companies to be on by Westminster. He wants them to be owned by councils what we would call ste governments and England are kind of mega councils like the one in Manchester, or there are governments like the one in Scotland and the one in Wales. But he hasn't really details, of course, any of this. I've rad this is actually going to work, but there is enough room in the manifesto of the Labor Party that they took to the twenty twenty four election that he could get away with that. Now, the thing about governments in Britain compared to governments in Australia is that they produce a detailed manifesto before the election which has all of their promises all of their views and they are very much expected to stick to that manifesto and if they break it, the pressure that comes on for an election is pretty massive. So he has that really strangling any ambitions he may have, because he has to live with Kirstarmer's manifesto, which famously didn't have much in it because Kairstarmer didn't have a plan and Kirstarmer didn't want to give the Conservatives anything to label him Jeremy Corbyn in a nice suit. So he's going to struggle with that. He's going to struggle with the kind of very tight fiscal rules that everybody has tried to obey because the British government owes so much to the bond markets and nobody wants to repeat of Les trust and the chaos that was caused by her with her disastrous Bury budget.
Speaker 1: This was massive, a mini budget turned MAXI the biggest tax cuts in half a century.
Speaker 2: So he has a lot of constraints, and then he has these factions that have put him into power and now seem to be kind of fighting over who's going to be in his cabinet. So I think it's going to be very hard for Andy Burnham and a little bit of charm and not being Keir Starmer only takes you so far.
Speaker 1: Kemmy bed knock the letter of the Conservatives. She seems to be making Conservatives in Britain feel a little bit more helpful. She'd sittly got an ability to talk in a way that previous Conservative leaders have struggled with to connect with ordinary Britains.
Speaker 5: The Honorable Member for Bradford West gave a moving and funny speech. I especially appreciated her comments about black and brown faces on TV or as my children say, oh look it's mummy again.
Speaker 1: She's also kind of saying nice things about Andy Burnham, isn't she, which is very refreshing, and he's saying kind of nice things about her. How do you think the contest between the two of them will go? And are they both actually fighting the real enemy, which is the far right party's reform and restore I.
Speaker 2: Think that they are kind of fighting the same enemy. But these may be the two best leaders that either of their parties have actually had. And years for Labor Jeremy Corbin and Ed Meliband and for Breton going back to Theresa me and as just as the ald Establishment parties are at their lowest. They've got the best communicators they've had in a long time.
Speaker 1: Coming up. A shocking murder shakes Britain's politics. That's after the break. Yeah, they both managed to sound heartfelt about the big thing that's been going on in British politics, which is the murder of Anne Whittacombe, a former Conservative politician. She was retired but had become a kind of beloved political figure. She'd been on Dancing with the Stars and she was campaigning for the Reform Party when she died. She seems to have been murdered in quite horrific circumstances in her own home. She was a seventy eight year old lady, and both of them seemed to be able to talk about her as a human being rather than as a political figure.
Speaker 5: She was a woman of high principle, profound beliefs, with a wicked sense of humor, a wonderful combination of being a serious person who did not take herself too seriously.
Speaker 1: What does the death of Anne Whittacomb kind of mean for British politics? It makes it feel very dark, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: It's very dark. I consider Unwhitticcomb for people who don't know horror listening to our podcast. She's a bit like Bromwin Bishop I think could have been a big figure. Was maybe a bit too colorful for the times, maybe a bit ahead of the times too. You know, some people have said in Britain there wouldn't have been a Nigel Farage without Anne Witticcomb. You know, she was kind of a conservative populist before it was popular.
Speaker 3: There will always be every year some cases of a genuine claim for political asylum, but those people didn't come from safe countries. And that is the point that we must always.
Speaker 2: Remember because obviously absolutely shocking what's happened to Anne Whittocomb, and there's been obviously the police saying it wasn't terrorism and then getting the counter terrorism police involved, I think has hurt the trust in the British police. Yet again, when you think trust in British police can't get any lower, they kind of do something like that. But violence is something that has permeated British politics for a long long time. I mean, you can go back to kind of the nineteen tens, in the nineteen twenties, especially the strain of Ireland running through debates from the nineteen twenties where there was nearly a British Civil war. People never ever talk about this, but there was nearly a British civil war over the Ireland question. And then you'd fast forward to the seventies and eighties where you have MPs like Aary Neve, who was the great mentor campaign manager for Margaret Thatcher when she became Leader of the Tories, was assassinated. There's obviously the Brighton bombings that tried to assassinate Thatcher. And then you go, now you know you have MPs killed and stabbed, and now you've had what's happened to Anne Wickham. Despite the fact that Britain prize itself as being a kind of gradualist society compared to the more revolutionary societies like America or France, there's actually there's a violent bent there. But I think it's just really grown, especially ever since the global financial crisis, which Britain has just not really recovered from these repeated political and economic crises.
Speaker 1: There were form Ledgel Farage is in trouble for taking money from a couple of rich people.
Speaker 2: Did Nigel Farage break parliamentary rules by accepting a five million pound gift from a Thailand based crypto billionaire and not declaring.
Speaker 1: It one of the purposes of that money, orso at least some of it was his own personal security. And Farage has kind of overtly linked and Whittikm's death to the fact that he and other politicians feel unsafe. He's now running for his seat again to try and kind of give himself a new mandate. Seems to be running against the same garbage bin who run against Andy burn As far as I can tell.
Speaker 2: HI can't be in face here and I'm ary to go by the Clacton by election, and my goodness to me, there's no lesson.
Speaker 1: What happens now for Nigel Farage. Do you think he'll get reelected and what does that mean for Andy burnhaman government?
Speaker 2: I think he definitely gets re elected Claire, because he is as you see, he is running against a man who dresses up as a garbage can promoter space His name is code Ben Fees. This happens to Britain. This obviously doesn't happen in Australia because nobody in Australia is fun. But when you get to see when you get to see MP's and it helps his first past the post. So you get these people lining up and it's kind of the Prime Minister, count Binface, Elmo and Adalek. You don't get that because you don't get the spect They don't get to stand there on the stage because we have to do preference votes and maths as usual, removes the fun of everything. Clear, but he should win. He should win. I've count Binface wins then I think we can say it's Curtains for the Reform Party. But he'll win. But he looks like a fool. He clearly wanted to use this to try and hammer the Labor and Conservatives in the seat of Clacton, where he currently is. He wanted to make the conversation about him again and he just looked like a bit of a fool. And it's possible that he'll face another by election because the Parliamentary Standards Committee still want to investigate this donation and maybe when he comes back say well, no, you've actually broken the rules and will boot you again. So the people, poor people of Claxton may have to face two by elections. I think if the second word to happen. Nigel Farage has a history of kind of cutting and running. He has a history of not running elections. He thinks he's going to lose in just stepping away because it's too hard. And this is what I think, especially Kemmy baid knock On, the Conservatives have been relying on that everything will fall apart now, a bit like Pauline Hanson in One Nation.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 2: I think it's wrong to underestimate Nigel Farage. It's wrong to assume that everything's going to fall apart. There is a new energy here that has not existed in Forage is similar incarnations, a bit like Pauline Hansen. But it's not been a good time for Nigel Farage at all, and he's going to find Andy Burnham a lot harder than Keir Starmer. But Andy Burnham might give him all the material he needs soon enough.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe the ban will get elected eventually. Richard, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Richard Ferguson is The Australian's Federal Political bureau chief. You can check out all the latest from Britain and the world right now at the Australian dot com dot au