Speaker 1: For more than a week. Donald Trump has ordered strikes against Iran in a worsening cycle of attacks, including on civilian infrastructure.
Speaker 2: We hit him very hard again tonight, and we did that in honor of the probably three. It's probably three, as opposed to too great patriots.
Speaker 1: Trump has defended the strikes as honoring the deaths of up to three American service members in an Iranian attack. But the real goal is to get the straight of Hamu's open again, something that looks increasingly unlikely. So with the region once again on a knife's edge, the US appears locked back into an escalating war unless the interim cease by a deal can be salvaged. I'm Ruby Jones, and you're listening to seven AM today diplomatic correspondent at notice Akbasha hid Ahmed on the threat of all out war and who is really in charge of what happens next. It's Wednesday, July twenty two. So act by the United States has now carried out more than a week of strikes on a run. American troops have been killed, Iran is attacking US bases and allied countries. Traffic through the strait of a Moose has almost completely stopped. So take us through what's happened over the past few days and how close things are again now to and all out more.
Speaker 3: It's really been stunning sort of spiral back into open conflict, not an unpredictable one. Certainly, whatever deal the US and the Iranians were able to reach in June was quite shaky. It depended on two sides that have more than forty years of enmity, right, and a lot of that blood extending well beyond the Trump administration. However, what's happened sort of in this standar period where now is really focused on one specific issue and one specific dispute between the US and Iran, which is the Strait of Hollows. That's that strategic waterway between the Arabian and Peninsula and Iran's southern coast through which a large proportion about a fifth of the world's oil and gas supplies travel in a normal time of peace. That Trump administration and Iran are arguing over how this should be operated.
Speaker 1: The battle to control the Strait of Removes continues as the United States launches its seventh consecutive night of strikes on Iran.
Speaker 3: Under no circumstances and in no way, we will allow the United States, as a foreign an extra regional country, to interfere in the strait of hole mood.
Speaker 4: Breaking news, the Pentagon says two US service members are dead and a third is missing after Iranian attacks in Jordan.
Speaker 3: It comes another wave of strikes against Iran, marking the tenth consecutive night of attacks. Explosions have been reported. So it's pretty been a bit of an escalating tit for tap and that's what experts are contects are really worried about in a period like this where you just can't wind things downd, you only keep ratchting up.
Speaker 1: And so tell me a bit more about the target's hit. Because Donald Trump has long threatened the mass targeting of civilian infrastructure. Back in April, he threatened what he called power plant and bridge.
Speaker 2: Day, every power plant in Iran will be out of business, burning, exploding, and never to be used again, I mean complete.
Speaker 1: So is that what we're saying here?
Speaker 3: Look, the Trump administration has been quite clear about that view of international law. International law, including the law of war, says you cannot target civilian infrastructure. However, President Trump has really openly said, well, I don't really think these rules applied to the US. I don't need international law.
Speaker 4: Do you feel your administration needs to abide by international law on.
Speaker 1: The global stadia?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do.
Speaker 2: You know, I do, but it depends what your definition of international laws.
Speaker 3: And so, yes, we are now seeing the US target civilian infrastructure.
Speaker 5: The Iranians have come back though, and talked about several areas of civilian infrastructure that they say have been hit, including five bridges, an airport, and a railway station, and that eight people were killed in these attacks. The US has not commented on these allegations.
Speaker 3: Are these potential war crimes? Certainly international law experts and people inside the government ruby who I've spoken with are concerned about that risk that, yes, US officials may be implicating themselves in violations of international law on a daily basis. And this is that ratcheting up that President Trump has indicated part of that is what's making this escalation look so scary to observer US, because it looks like the pattern of US stripes is almost targeting Iran's ability to use its own forces within its territory, raising the question of not only are we breaking international law here, are we moving towards an American crowned invasion of parts of So is this targny of bridges about not just instilling fear, creating panic, all of that scaring the Iranians, but leading to a bigger war.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk a bit more about what the goal here might be, because Washington and the Trump administration's rationale it's been fluid this whole time. It was initially presented as preventing Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon, destroying its missile industry and navy, giving Iranians an opportunity to overthrow their government. What is the administration actually saying now about what it's trying to do, what it's trying to achieve.
Speaker 3: It's so important that you brought up this previous administration argument of freeing around and advancing principles of human rights and the idea of perhaps any other regime change away from this really autocratic regime in Iran, which of course has killed hundreds of their own people, if not thousands in protests just earlier this year. A lot of that language has been abandoned and said. What we've seen in this period is a race to the bottom by the US and also by Iran, by the way, which has targeted civilian infrastructure in Arab countries across the region, like water desalination plants really essential. So what we're seeing and said is it might makes right approach from both sides. So the Trump administration has given US reporters who are constantly pressing the White House in the State Department for explanations. The basic thing seems to be President Trump can't at go of the idea that more military pressure will lead to more concessions from the Iranians. Now, initially what he wanted concessions on was the nuclear enrichment. That's totally off the table now and that kind of speaks to the bigger moment of crisis we're in where now what the concessions Trump wants over the Strait of hor moves.
Speaker 4: And we've pivoted. Now what we're doing is assuring that oil and gas and other products can flow through the Strait of Horror moves whi or without Iranian cooperation, and we've continued to degrade their offensive military capabilities. The President is always looking for the diplomatic off ramp. President Trump wants to end it with a peaceful agreement with Iran, but.
Speaker 3: It takes so any sort of settlement would just address the street, leaving open those underlying issues and disputes between the US and Iran, and leaving open a question of would the US go back to an attack, which from the Iranian standpoint, they're saying, well, why not just escalatee fully right now rather than wait six months or a year for another joint US it's really attack over the nuclear program over there are other problems with US.
Speaker 1: So the administration says it wants to keep the straight upon moves open, and it says it can do that with or without Iranian cooperation.
Speaker 4: If they're ready to do that, that's the way it'll end. If not, we will continue to show a sure flow of traffic through the strait without Iran's cooperation.
Speaker 1: But shipping remains at a fraction of its normal level. So can the US actually for its way to having this straight open.
Speaker 3: Look, Ruby, I have been talking to a lot of military officials, service members in the region and American troops who are being deployed and more are traveling through the region at this moment actually to sort of ramp up the American presence. They are our feeling that they're equipped for the mission that the Administration is putting out there and sort of implicating them in and making them vulnerable in so a lot of people on the ground who are being told, yes, you're going to do this to sort of take back control of the Strait of Hormos. This was ever an issue prior to this war. This was a war of choice in which the Trump administration chose to create a new status po in the region, fail to do so, and is now trying to go back to a pre war approach of free navigation that most analysts, most observist belief is not coming back. I don't think that the way the trade gets resolved is through some US application of pressure. It's most likely through a new deal between the US, Iran and some of the US aligned countries of the region or mand cutter unized our memirates that anything within that would not take us back to February twenty seventh, before Trump launched this war. So effectively, he's accepting a loss.
Speaker 1: Coming up. Donald Trump and the Madman theory. Akbay, You've reported on Trump's use of the mad Man theory, So the idea that Iran will concede because it can't predict how far he will go. Who is actually shaping policy inside this administration, and how much of this strategy comes down to Trump's impulses.
Speaker 3: The President certainly has a really strong conviction that a madman approach works. He thinks that it has made him successful in business, has made him successful in politics. If you look at a ideological shifts on so many issues, I mean, abortion, gay rights, a whole range of things, he's really flip flopped. People around him ruby are trying to influence his thinking that they're also very sort of driven by their own agendas, right, So you look at someone like Secretary of State Mark or Rubio and Vice President Shady Vance, who have differing views on the war to a degree, Advance being a little more skeptical of the war than Rubio. They're also both trying to set themselves up to take the mantle from Trump. So the question then becomes, are they giving Trump their best advice or are they giving Trump the advice they think he wants to hear to get his endorsement for the Republican presidential primary in the future. And these are kind of the factors that are drawing what's around him from people I know who are briefing him in the room with him, he is personally often more hawkish than those around him, including even Rubio, a longtime hawk on around Trump's kind of determination to Devin straightest strength is very very much driving the show right now. And then of course that's a sectary of defense speed. Heags at again very very interested in this idea of if we just apply more force, we'll get better results. But I really draw this out to kind of pre Trump patterns in US foreign policy in that presidents have not been asked to read in their war making power for a very very long time, especially in the kind of post nine to eleven era where wars have dragged on in places like Yemen, Pakistan, Somalia without any check and without any clear strategic rationale, while causing huge strategic and human cost.
Speaker 1: So when you look at what's happening and the fact that neither Iran or the US appear willing to accept the other's terms, is there still an off ramp here or are we looking at this escalating open ended war scenario.
Speaker 3: That's a real cost, you know. I mean, hundreds of Iranians have lost their life already, including many civilians including children. Iran is in a deep, deep economic crisis. So there are voices within Iran saying we need to reach some sort of concession with the US. On the American side, the price is not quite being felt yet. Yes, more service members have been killed. It's now come out that the Pentagon was not releasing some of the injuries among American troops. I think that's going to become a bigger story and a bigger concern of our Americans safe. It's raising bigger questions about US basis. But no, I think right now we're not in a season of an off ramp. While we do know that a new diplomatic framework has been proposed by Cutter, one of the regional mediators, there's no kind of indication that it's sort of feasible. I mean, there's no sense that either the Trump administration or Iran wants to be seen right now as shaking the other side's hand.
Speaker 1: And I found this isn't just the US's war. Trump has brought his allies, which includes Australia, with him. So how surprised do you that those relationships seem to be holding up despite the increased chaos and the changing objectives of this war.
Speaker 3: I am truly as like a diplomatic correspondent in DC now for almost fifteen years. I'm truly shocked by the degree to which foreign partners are willing to embarrass themselves for Donald Trump's foreign policy. And I continue to be shocked. I mean, the cost that this war has had on the global economy, on growth rates is just tremendous. And certainly when I hear from officials is that's still resistant to the idea of openly challenging Trump. All of that said, I also hear that governments, including Australia are kind of quietly hedging their debts and building these relationships that are outside their US dependents, right, so not just relying on the US as their partner. And I think you'll see more of that if Trump, as expected, do very in the US midterms. I think you'll see more of allies kind of openly challenging him the way that that's Spain and some countries have so far. And certainly you've seen, you know, you've seen some European leaders speak up a little bit about international law, that it's been a position of fealty largely, and does.
Speaker 1: The level of unpredictability here mean we're in the most kind of unstable era of this conflict.
Speaker 3: At the moment, what's scary is that President Trump has genuinely considered a huge range of escallations. And also the Iranians have a lot of options for estallation that we haven't seen them activate so far. So of course Trump could go for ground invasion, he could go for even broader and bigger bombing campaigns, and the Iranians could pursue targets not just in the Middle East but beyond that. So yes, I think with the breakdown and with the real distrust, particularly on the Iranian side, and the kind of lack of direction on the US side, the US side just doesn't see to have a clear understanding of where they want to go. For a while, the idea was like in Venezuela, we want to pick a partner in Iran and work with them. But who would that be at this point when the US has been sort of perceived as a traitor on the Iranian side, And I think then the fundamental questions of kind of broader US policy in the region are still open, right, So you still don't see an answer to the US policy in Gaza and answered to the US policy in Lebanon, you see in Yenen where the Iran Bakthuti militia has opened up another front potentially by saying we're going to block the other key energy route out of the Middle East. So it's not just about the US in Iran. This is now actually a regional war and the US administration really needs to sort of take the reins of it. I spoke with one really well well connected official last week and I said, sort of, who is going to Who's going to deal with this? And they said, well, some grown up has to come out and take charge of it. And the question is who, And I think we're sort of reading for that answer.
Speaker 1: Akbar, Thank you so much for speaking with me.
Speaker 3: Thanks slut Ruby.
Speaker 1: Also in the news today, analysts are warning oil prices could climb back above one hundred US dollars a barrel and hit Australians at the fuel pump as new fronts open in the Middle East. In response to Yemen's Hoothy rebels threat to block Saudi oil shipments, Saudi Arabia says it will keep the waterway open and respond to any attacks. Oil prices have already climbed to a one month high, with Brent krude settling at just under ninety US dollars a barrel, and Muslim and multicultural groups have welcomed parts of the Albanzi government's long awaited response to a national report on Islamophobia, but say it doesn't go far enough. The government has accepted thirty five of the report's fifty four recommendations, including an Edgecation task force, new requirements for universities, and expanded AFP community layers and teams, but it hasn't agreed to an independent review of counter terrorism laws or inquiries into Islamophobia and anti Palestinian and anti Arab racism. I'm Ruby Jones. This is seven am. Thanks for listening.