Speaker 1: On Saturday night.
Speaker 2: I was at a party with some friends and I got a call from my mum saying there's been a bit of an incident.
Speaker 1: And I said, what's happened?
Speaker 3: What time was this?
Speaker 2: It was like five o'clock on Saturday, I think, And my mom said, my stepbrother Lockey and his beautiful partner Haley, and their little boy Ned had been involved.
Speaker 1: In a house fire.
Speaker 2: So everyone's worst night man. They've got a beautiful eighteen month old Ned. They were at home at the time. They heard some unusual noises. Lockie thought maybe something was burning in the kitchen, and then he stuck his head around and saw the garage engulfed in flames, like bright red, roaring flames.
Speaker 4: Now, isn't that terrifying that the fire had already got to that extreme so quickly?
Speaker 3: They weren't aware of it so quickly, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: It's so scary, Like you hear about this stuff, you see it on the news. You never think someone new, no or love is going to be in a situation like that.
Speaker 3: Obviously, garage at front of the house there, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, So they he realized straight away. He was like, get out of the house.
Speaker 2: Now, they ran out of the house, and it didn't take long for the majority of the house to be on fire, which is so scary, and it is just such a poignant reminder to make sure you have working smoke alarms, to make sure you check things in your home. I think we can all, like you know, I've got smoke alarms.
Speaker 1: I couldn't tell you the last time I checked that They're lucky.
Speaker 3: They're lucky it was like fire not overnight, because that's like you.
Speaker 4: Know, when you hear people have passed away in fires, a lot of the time it's they're asleep and it's the smoke. Yeah, So it's yeah, it's not that it's the fire, it's the actual smoke.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And this is something that could happen to anybody.
Speaker 3: That's an eighteen month old.
Speaker 1: It is just dogs in the house.
Speaker 2: So everyone got out and everyone is safe. The dogs got out. It I just I couldn't believe that this could happen to someone that I love and care about. It's so scary. Everything's destroid basically, I mean, it's still in the proce.
Speaker 1: This is all. I think.
Speaker 2: It's an electrical situation. There's still exactly we just bought.
Speaker 4: An old place and like I was saying to Lure the other day, going, I just feel like I want to spark you to come around and.
Speaker 1: Check everything, check the switchboards.
Speaker 3: You just don't know.
Speaker 2: So it was it was an electrical fire, which which is complicated I think because the fire brigade, who are amazing, but they can't actually go and fight an electrical fire until the power has been shut off. Oh really yeah, so you just have to watch like you want to go in there and stop it. But I think there are complications with putting out a fire when it's an electrical far it's too dangerous.
Speaker 3: I went, and I went and did.
Speaker 1: But the fire Brigade were amazing, fighters are so brave.
Speaker 4: I've got to go out to the training facility. This is a few years back and spend a day with the fieries and they set up like this will always stick with me. They set up a kid's bedroom, fully furnished in like a shipping container, right, so bed linen, stuffed toys, everything you'd expect in a kid's room.
Speaker 3: And he said, we're going to light a tiny little fire in the corner.
Speaker 1: I've got goose bumps.
Speaker 4: And he said and I just want to show you how quick it went up, And I kid you not, was within forty five seconds, under a minute. We were sitting there in the fire gear ready to go in and fight the fire. But within sixty seconds that whole room is engolfed. And it just it pointed out to me that if you're in a house and like you know, sometimes you just don't.
Speaker 3: Have a chance.
Speaker 2: No. Yeah, so I think she was in I think Hayley was cooking in the kitchen and something short circled in and then the lights went off in the kitchen and she was like that's unusual. Yeah, and then Lucky smelt something was like what is that? And it was just it all happened very very quickly.
Speaker 3: But it's just family possessions.
Speaker 2: I think they've got a lot of their family photos out of the house, I believe, because also then it just goes up and it goes into the ad it like into if you've got a badic or anything at the top, and then it spreads and then even things that like the damage from a fire, the smoke, the sort oh.
Speaker 4: Yell the water, because people go, oh, as long as everyone's okay, everything's replaceable, that's easier said than done.
Speaker 3: Do you know what I mean? Like, you know, think about everything you've got in your house, everything has memories.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course of course they've lost. Yeah, they've lost so many things. So it's been it's been tough for them and for their mum. But this they're displaced currently now Melbourne.
Speaker 4: This is where the story takes a turn, because my god, this is a roller coaster.
Speaker 1: Is this week?
Speaker 3: Lauren?
Speaker 2: I said, why don't you guys come and live with me, which you would do to anyone in this situation.
Speaker 3: It's like saying to someone you go on the airport, let me know if you need a lift? Do you do? You everything?
Speaker 1: But you don't mean that I meant, and I was like, come and stay with us. We've got spare rooms. We'd love to spend some time with.
Speaker 3: Ned and Lauren.
Speaker 4: What did that family with an eighteen month old say to you when you say, why don't you move in with me?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I think they were pretty reluctant to move in with me, to be honest, But what happened last night They've moved on in.
Speaker 2: Guys, I've got to live in baby at my house. Am my step brother and my sister in law, who are absolute legends, and I'm like, well, it's like the Big Brother House, but I'm the Big Stepsister.
Speaker 1: I'm like, welcome to the Big Stepsister House. Guys, now we are going to have fun. You and your partner Paul don't have kids.
Speaker 3: And do not have a kid friendly house.
Speaker 2: I actually text them last night because they were coming over, and I said, tonight we're having takeaway Japanese or tie let me know. And then I said, what on earth do children eat with your permission?
Speaker 4: Only because I know it will put every parent in Melbourne in a great mood today? Can I read out the text you were sending me last night after the eighteen month old.
Speaker 1: Moved in because I'm stressed.
Speaker 3: I'm stressed, Lou and I, my wife and I.
Speaker 4: Last night we turned off the Telly and just watched my mobile light up with messages from you.
Speaker 1: And we're I don't know what. I'm like, what do I do? This is?
Speaker 3: This is our new reality TV show? I was I was missing another update? What's just happened? Now?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Wait till you hear what she gave the child? I didn't as a toy?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah I did.
Speaker 3: We'll go there.
Speaker 4: Next you are on the air with Jas and new Mum.
Speaker 3: Lauren is joining us as well. Boom baby.
Speaker 4: If you are just joining us, I'm not having Lauren had a baby overnight.
Speaker 3: It is eighteen months old. Gord, I hope it.
Speaker 2: Was a cesarean my brother and Lauren's sister in Sorry, my step brother and sister in law. I'm tired, and their beautiful baby need have moved in for a little for a week or so, potentially two, potentially a year, We're not sure yet. But they are at my house and I'm learning about how to live. But he's not a baby like he walks and he runs, but you can't have a conversation with him yet.
Speaker 3: I'm going to get to that.
Speaker 1: This is where I got confused.
Speaker 3: So I want to go through something said.
Speaker 1: What do you want for dinner?
Speaker 4: And he was like, Eh, don't ask them, no, you just give it to him. Right, never asked them because what if he says, what are you going to do?
Speaker 3: You never know?
Speaker 4: You can't say, Lauren, So you sent me a text message and by all means, if you want to get involved, there's something Lauren hasn't thought of. Thirteen twenty fourteen, you sent me a photo of your open pantry.
Speaker 1: Yesterday, yeah, before they arrived, and.
Speaker 4: I was like, okay, that all needs to be arranged. There's the bottom shelf is all glass bottles, are.
Speaker 1: Booze champagne bottles, but surely he's not picking them up.
Speaker 3: Side note it looks like you live it at Dan Murphy's.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 4: Then the middle shelf is cans and just above that is glass vases and plates. He will be able to reach those, so that needs to be rearranged.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so what the one thing you missed? And I missed in that photo because I was like, okay, I think I've moved plenty of things. And then my sister in law said, do you want to just come and take a moment to look at where what's on the second shelf in the.
Speaker 3: Oh they are giant knives. Yeap, that is they are huge and he can definitely reach those.
Speaker 1: Yep. Yes, so they went. They went.
Speaker 4: I then received a text message because he've got to six thirty and I sent your message saying, hey, what's the update.
Speaker 3: Have they arrived?
Speaker 4: You sent me an adorable photo of the eighteen month old with your dog, and the message says they have arrived.
Speaker 3: He is walking around the house holding a can of Margarita mix in one hand and patting the dog with the other.
Speaker 1: Well, possibly go rock Margarita mix. It's that good one. It's pink. He liked the colors, so that was his little Maracca for the night.
Speaker 4: I said, do you need anything dropped off? Any toys, et cetera. Can you please read out They reply that you sent to me regarding a toy.
Speaker 1: The closest thing to a toy I could give him was a cocktail shaker and he loves it.
Speaker 2: Well, it ticked the boxes. It's shiny, it's got the little shaker thing in so it makes noise. It's metal. We could spit of a weapon.
Speaker 4: Also, in breaking news to me, you text me last night at nine point thirty to tell me I can't confirm eighteen months. You can have conversations, which is disappointing. He knows where his eyes are. He showed me sixty two thousand times. He also knows where mine are because he poked me in them six times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah it was. He knows.
Speaker 2: This is where's mate? He doesn't know how to say it. I have to say where's your nose? And He goes nose and then he like, hits mine. Where's your eyes? He goes eyes and then he touches my flocking my step brother warm. He said, this is a very dangerous game. Don't stop playing it.
Speaker 4: After you pointed out the second thing, nose, then eyes and he hit you in the nose and he hit you in the eyes.
Speaker 3: Did you think maybe we should not continue.
Speaker 1: With this game, because then he knows where his tongue is.
Speaker 2: The big mistake I made was saying we have a gas fire and I had it on in the afternoon before they arrived, so the house was cozy.
Speaker 3: Oh no, then the grill will be high.
Speaker 1: Can't touch it. I tried. I tried to say, oh, come here, Ned, now, don't touch this.
Speaker 4: Come here, Ned. Let me take you over to the extremely hot iron bar.
Speaker 2: So I said, don't touch this because it's hot, and he went hot and I was like yeah, and then I touched it and went to just show that it would hurt, and he thought it was so funny that I'd hurt myself. So he was like, I want to ouch, so he and I was like, no, don't touch it, it's ouch, and he was.
Speaker 3: Like, oh, you're doing that fun voice if you go, oh what.
Speaker 1: Do you do? Do you grow? Ah? Also I touched it, so don's out, don't touch it.
Speaker 3: But that no, okay, I book your motel.
Speaker 1: So look, it's going to be fun.
Speaker 3: A couple of things.
Speaker 1: It's going to be great fun. You got no, but I've got barstools and quite well back on it. He can't, like, he's cool, we can sit up. He's eighteen months.
Speaker 3: It is your couch? What?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I paid my white couch.
Speaker 2: He had that painting book thing that they have and I was like, and I'd said to them, guys, well you live here. Our house is your house. Make yourself at home. Houses are for living in. I don't want you to be stressed. If you know, ned touches things like except like just tell me if I need to move things and then couch a little painting book and no no.
Speaker 1: I was like, no, it's fine. My house is your house.
Speaker 3: You should have put sheets over it like our parents used to back in the day, you.
Speaker 1: Know, plastic thing. He's so cute, though, what's.
Speaker 3: The bin situation for dirty nappies? Do they go in the kitchen bin?
Speaker 1: Does he still wear nappies? He's eighteen months, they do I go to the toilet yet. Oh he's probably.
Speaker 3: He's probably learning to get the toilet.
Speaker 1: Oh, I haven't thought about that. That's their Actually that's their problem.
Speaker 3: But what's like you want him in the kitchen?
Speaker 2: I mean the dog Purp goes in the outside bin, so he's probably should do. Why don't they make nappies you can flush? That would be a great inventortion.
Speaker 3: Don't get them to flush the nappy.
Speaker 1: Don't flush the nappies. Okay, I won't flush the nappies either.
Speaker 4: What about the TV situation? Because I know you love Tipping Point.
Speaker 1: I love Tippy. I think he'd like tipping.
Speaker 3: You want poor patrol? Oh, so that's going to be.
Speaker 1: That's okay, that's fine, Poor patrol in the living room. Woo, poor patrol party. Let's go Saturday morning. Let's go, kid.
Speaker 4: I can't wait for the weekend. When he gets to wake you up, you're gonna put him to bed.
Speaker 1: If I have to?
Speaker 3: What time did he go to bed last night?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: What'd you do?
Speaker 2: I didn't have anything to do with it. I was like this, I've heard you talk about black Hawk down hour.
Speaker 3: That's what I refer to it.
Speaker 1: I went and hid in my room. I was like, I do some work.
Speaker 3: Oh that's very responsible for you anyway.
Speaker 1: Poor petrol.
Speaker 2: But at my house on the weekend, guys, I went to buy him some gifts.
Speaker 1: I was like, you're going to go to Big w buy some presents.
Speaker 3: I remember, you're not the cool aunt anymore.
Speaker 2: As long as it doesn't make noise, have any color, and it can't possibly leave a mark, it can come.
Speaker 1: To my house.
Speaker 3: What was that? So can you repeat all those?
Speaker 2: As long as it has no noise, no color, because our house is quite a sthetically pleasing. It's like white and gray and like neutral colors and kids toys are not well?
Speaker 3: Am I going to drop some presents off to.
Speaker 2: Jason Lauren Jason Lauren Wake Up Feeling Good on No. One hundred, Lauren on Socials