Speaker 1: Him Boris and this is straight talk.
Speaker 2: We've never seen anything like this in human history where a search engine is so utuly dominant on how we put our information, and so it's unprecedented and terrifying in a sense that whatever you type in it's been controlled.
Speaker 1: Then English straight talk made great to be here. If you're the editor in chief of the Daily Telegraph or All Things Telegraph, what does ben English actually do?
Speaker 2: You're doing the meeting things at once. That's the way it is with a modern newspaper. We don't hold anything back. The industry that's actually in the fight of its life against an onslaught of social media that has no interest in Australian society, has no interest in our welfare. And it's just interesting. The attention economy, very untrusting in politicians. There's got to be something. What's the hidden agenda here?
Speaker 1: That would be the least trusted people I think in next country.
Speaker 2: Maybe next to me, But yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: Been English finally well and straight talk made great to be here. And I think the last time we caught up was in It's like I'm skuting was in Vegas? Is that a great restaurant? Actually? Nick was holding a put together a little gathering of people for a Greek restaurant in the Greek restaurant in Vegas and a number of people there, but we won't disclose it was there, but you and I were there, and I remember Nick went to a lot of trouble with the I don't call him the chef or whatever it is. And I think it was lost on a lot of people because one of the guests who was sitting there, actually I didn't want to eat some of the food and all he wanted to eat was steak and chips.
Speaker 2: You guess who that was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And poor Nick, he was like a kid to know what to say. Look on his face. I don't mean, don't worry. Let him have it. It doesn't matter. But you've got a lot of trouble.
Speaker 3: I I he puts thorts into things, and like you wonder how people that and then you deal with these people like obviously you have the burdocks in your life, but these individuals are.
Speaker 1: So incredibly busy and so incredibly successful and so wealthy. Yet they here's a small dinner which probably was getting organized for three days. The detail, like you know, I someone like Nick, and we're talking about Nick Politus, otherwise known as Uncle Nick, the chairman of the Rooster's team club. He told me, it's very interesting. Ronnie Coot, as you know, was recently inducted into the NRLs call or actually as an immortal, as an immortal at fourteenth or something like that, I know which one he was. But and it was a long time coming coming for Ronnie cult and of course Running played for the Roosters and he played for Souse and which is a pretty big transition between the two clubs. But Nick told me, I said to Nick after announced, literally the day after it was announced, have you got Ron's new number? Because he's not answering my text. Turn out I saw a run on the weekend of the reason in an answer my text, he told me it's because he's got four hundred text. He just overwhelming and Ronnie's just ton eighty. But Nick told me the day after that he'd already written a letter and Senator to ron he wrote a letter, and I thought, well, why would you runt out to write a letter? Who reads letters these days? And you know when you can go on text? Well, actually, if a letter arrives at me and I've got four hundred texts, but if I get a letter, I'll read a letter. And I thought, wow, how insightful is that. I don't hopefully I'm giving him his dues and I'm not over over egging the whole of his situation. But for me, I thought, that's a pretty thoughtful process.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the art letter writing is rapidly getting lost, but.
Speaker 1: It becomes much more special because of that.
Speaker 2: Totally. It's the same with me. I remember the letters that I received, handritch letters. There's sometimes some that you don't want to read, but there's there's some really special ones I've received over the years and they stick out in my mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm the same I and I. When my parents love I used to always make sure I wrote something to them, like Father'sday, Monsday, with those types, birthdays, Christmas. Made sure I wrote something in there, even if it was one or two paragraphs. You come from this world, the world of communicating through text, because you're the editor in chief of the Daily Telegraph for all things Telegraph, because a Daily Telegraph today incorporates the Sunday Telegraph too, So everything everything that the Telegraph Group produces a digitally and the physical form too. Well, it is your fault, and we're going to talk about not being able to get hands on well, the phasing out of newspapers, because I actually still like to get a newspaper you're not alone, at least once a week. I like to read it once week if possible. If I'm an aeroplane, I actually like to thumb through the paper on the aeroplane, mainly because harder to get off your your device. But as the editor of the group, what does Ben English actually do? So? Is it like the old I think his name is Peter Finch in the remember that movie what was it called The Network? He's sort of sitting there and they're all in the room and you're sitting down and saying, well, we're going to write a story about that, and your story is crap. You know, what does the editor do? What do you do physically? Do there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is a bit of that, still still a bit of that. Yeah, I mean I'm not I'm on the tools from about when I say on the tools, I'm actually looking at the pages on a screen from about five pm till eight pm and we go to we go to press. But you know, you're doing a million things at once. That's the way it is with a modern newspaper's of my time.
Speaker 1: You used to have your deadline, and it was because you had to print the paper. Obviously you had to get all the stories actually loaded up onto the print or whatever it was in the print. So the used bit, I don't five or six o'clock.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then you it's it's really similar.
Speaker 1: But now but now it's sort of a bit more continual. Because there's something new comes up at nine o'clock, you've got to put it up.
Speaker 2: We don't hold anything back, right, so there's not a story. It's funny. The only it's because it's a complete anachronism to hold the story back for print. Yeah, basically because it just gets ripped off anyway and put up some radio whatever. It just gets ripped off. So we've given up that long ago. We don't hold anything back for the paper. The only time we do is when we're required to by say, if we get a what we call a drop, So we get a story from the government or from another source and they said it's embargoed right until five am, which means you can, you know, you can put it to print and it hits the streets at five am. But you can't put it up online. And the reason they do that is because they haven't caught up with us. I mean, we're one hundred percent digital and we basically reverse publish, if you like, back into print. Everything's front loaded into digital. And now the next sort of evolution is into video. So we are breaking our stories now by video.
Speaker 1: How do you mean like it's more like television.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean we've got our own Wi frame on our app now, which is called DTTV. And you know there's a little button on your app click on it and there's a whole there's thirty three stories which get refreshed quite frequently. We've got a five o'clock bulletin a video and we break news of video. Our reporters are not only writing stories, but they're actually presenting them on videot But.
Speaker 1: It's competing with television then to some extent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it is. It's competing with appointment media, yes, six PM users, so yeah, we have a loderate five But we're also breaking news on video throughout the day. But we're not necessarily trying to disrupt some of them so much as to disrupt ourselves before we get disrupted. If we just stand still, we'll get run over. So we have to keep on evolving our storytelling.
Speaker 1: And they are too, by the way, they're using digital to keep breaking stories themselves. There waiting to the six Scotch News. Oh yeah, they're going to have the nine apt for example. And by the time I get home, and if I get home in time for the six scock News, I've already seen it all you have either through you guys, through news dot com or through the nine news whatever is on you know apput and I got seven, I've got all of them. Yeah, and there are other places, by the way, break news like the Daly Os. Yes, for example, we've been doing it for a long time. They break it in text, that's right, which sort of like for a period there during COVID, I was actually very interested in what they were doing. But I must say I do prefer to get the video version now.
Speaker 2: Oh you know, increasingly that's how people need to want to digest it, need to digest it. It doesn't mean we give up on text. It just becomes more multilayered. What we've discovered is two things. Number One, our journos are actually really good on camera. We never expected that Prince jurnos would actually be pretty good. They're quite articulate. I would say that our print yurnos have a deeper subject, better knowledge. So that's their comparative advantage over not disparaging TV journals at all. But a lot of the time they've got, you know, they move from subject to subject and since you've got a scripted product that they're presenting, whereas our print heurnos, they go deep and so that's what they've got. So my remit to them is to say, listen, just just talk to the camera as you're talking to me. If you're briefing me about a story, what's really going on, so you know, just lift the kimono on whatever this story is. And the second thing is that our readers love it because we're sort of taking inside a newsroom and there's still a fascin with that. People still want to know. Like you said, your first question off the that is what do you do? Like how does it work? And I still haven't answered that yet. I will, I've been waiting for you. I'll get there. But but but we take them inside the news room and so we've shown our conference. So that's another important element of every day, we sit down with our key leaders and there's probably about eight or ten of us and we talk through we've got it. We've got what we call a topic plan. We go through those stories and how do you mean.
Speaker 1: Use is okay? Politics? Sport? Business? Is that what you're talking about?
Speaker 2: All of that?
Speaker 1: You've got crime crime?
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: So you've got the categories they actually like actually probably de marked in other words, this is category one. We must cover sport. And then within sport there are Rugby League and AFL and all of the n LW or whatever, and you do that like really structured way.
Speaker 2: We do so, yeah, it is structured. You know, there's a lot of chaos and there's stories coming at you all the time, but you have to have that structure. You have to have a lot of planning. There's a hell of a lot of planning that goes into what we do.
Speaker 1: So is your time spent on the planning side of things or is it more the tactical stuff sort of saying shit, there's an newstry. We better talk about that both both. So do you see pretty much everything?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 1: It goes up on a dashboard or something, does it? Yeah, where do you guys have it, or you'd have a dashboard or your teams have a dashboard.
Speaker 2: Yes, we have Data Insights dashboard, which is a bit of IP we've got called Verity, and that tells us in real time what all of our readers are reading, how long they're reading it, for what they're reading next, and so that gives us some insights into where the appetite is. Is a tool, it's not the only thing. We've also got to use our own judgment because you know, our acumen and judgment can sometimes still outstrips the computer, if you like. In some respects used to be called the tummy compass. So it's just sort of a combination of both of those things. But increasingly where we're looking to the data tools to help guide us in meeting our consumer needs.
Speaker 1: So Verity is it does Verity then also look at everything else. Everything else that's up on the digital platforms, for example, might look at something in the AFRs writing it doesn't so.
Speaker 2: We've got that as well. So and everyone's got these things. They've got other tools called chart beat, chart Beast, there's Adobe tools that give you a snapshot of what's happening elsewhere. But you know, that's not as accurate as your internal tools.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this, Ben, So, for example, if somebody else another one of your competitive competitors, and there's not that many, there's only really one in print, for example, and there's an group, but do you does do you? Well, that's a good story. We're not talking about it. Do you then? Does then, Ben English, go to someone over the Can you go and chase that story? Do you get to that level of detail it? Or do is your system your dashboard actually direct so and so over there? Go and do it anyway?
Speaker 2: No, it's not there yet, right, but AI is coming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's more an AI thing. In other words, this story has got a lot of gravity. It looks like, you know, so many thousand people have sure read it somewhere else, and it knows that, you know, buzz Phil Raffil should be writing about it because he's he's sort of sent me a retired buzz. But whoever is checking his place? And where Michael, Yeah, g chase it. Well, he probably already knows about it anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah he does. So sometimes you'll you'll have to make a judgment if the story is big enough, if if it's if actually it's you know, it's a seismic yarn and you can't ignore it. Then you go, okay, we've got it. We've got to beat them at it. We're going to come up with an angle that takes it forward. You can't just regurgitate what they're doing. If it's a so so story, we'll ignore it. And because you know, we'll try and we'll try and make our mark with our own stories, and they do the same, they'll you know, we might come up with some you know, compelling stories and they'll ignore it because you know, we've already made the ground with it. I think there should be more of us supporting each.
Speaker 1: Other as opposed to competing with each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think in many respects, I think it does.
Speaker 1: It's amazing for for someone coming out of news Corp.
Speaker 4: Too.
Speaker 1: I've never thought to hear that collaboration not collaboration, but whatever the word is, because you guys have been so over the years, and let's face it, nine verses. Let's go right Backpacker versus Murdock. Yeah, that has been an age age long that generations goes back forever. Yeah, and like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, down to pitch battles on the Prince side.
Speaker 4: Totally actually real, Yeah, totally for sure, real, like like real battles of physic example, legurary. So it so it's got to But.
Speaker 1: Here you are saying, you know, maybe I don't know who your equivalent is at nine, but you know, unless maybe we should perhaps collabor not collaborate, but work together a bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm friends with them and we talk all the time. And I mean you've got to think about you were talking about, you know, our only competitor in print is is a Herald But of course, and that's true right in Sydney at least, but it's our competitors, our competitors, they go way beyond that.
Speaker 1: It's all it's all the digital and time organizations.
Speaker 2: Time is a competitor.
Speaker 1: It competes with everybody. Yeah, yeah, my time, my media audience, my time, because not only do you have lots of other people putting the same stories, but.
Speaker 2: You've got it. But coming back to sorry, it's coming back to collaboration. We attack each other too much a right time as guilty of it. We're all guilty of it. The public doesn't. They just see attacks basically undermining the media. Now we're in the fight of our life.
Speaker 1: I don't think they care, by the way, they don't. They don't care less about nine versus seven, or you who's done what at seven or nine? You know, this allegation about the head of news or you know, like I won't say it's a but went on recently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, look, if there's serious workplace issues that are at stake here, I think, you know, there's no problem with reporting on that. I guess what I'm talking about is just having it. Taking cheap shots of each other is not helpful to an industry that's actually in the fight of its life against an onslaught of social media that has no interest in alien society, has no interest in our welfare. And it's just interesting. The attention economy is rapacious, is actually gouging revenue, not paying back. And you know, if we want journalism to exist, and I think we all do, I think we. I think even people who kind of you know, resent the media at different times would recognize that the fourth estate plays a vital role in maintaining a functioning, functioning community with democracy, with a democracy at its heart, you need a functioning you need a vital and you know, healthy media sector.
Speaker 1: So when you say the fourth state, you're talking about media. Media.
Speaker 2: That's an old fashioned term for the fourth state. It goes back to the French Revolution.
Speaker 1: But you're not referring to the big Titans. No, you're not talking.
Speaker 2: I'm talking more traditional mainstream Yeah, yeah, right, because we're the ones who, like you know, we have for a long time taken as part of our mission serving the public interest and whatever that may be, you know, and we may be misguided in what we think the public interest is, but at least we pursue that, whereas I'm not sure that well, I'm certain that that's not the case with those social media giants.
Speaker 1: So you take me through that then. So I quite enamored by the fact that you said serving the public interest, and that's quite a thoughtful comment. Is that mandated to you from above? Does Lachlan say that, How does it work? Or is it your shareholders? I mean, who says this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean when you say, man, in a sense, it's mandated above, in the sense of you know, the Murdoch ethos, which goes back to Keith Murdoch Gallipoli and then then what he did and you know, building from the you know, the papers in Melbourne, and then Rupert took up the cudgels of the News in Adelaide and then the extraordinary career he's had sort of you know, coursing through the ventricles of our country, of our company. Is it is a set of values, set of principles, and that informs us. That's the mandate from above that I would I would be talking about. Those values would include, but are not limited to, a skepticism of authority.
Speaker 1: Would you call it indie authority?
Speaker 2: I would say, yeah, that's reductive, But yeah, I would say that's that's right. Yeah, definitely, definitely, definitely We're not closing up to elites. That's something that that you know, Lachlan's grandfather certainly embraced. Certainly again going back to the Glipoli letters, it was about.
Speaker 1: You take me through the Glipolar letters.
Speaker 2: Well, it was Keith Murdock who actually lifted the lid on the Glipolar campaign and reported back to our government and it certainly, you know, I wrote some letters that were pivotal in actually challenging the efficacy of that campaign and basically saying that our kids, our young men, were lamps the slaughter.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so in other words, as they're getting off the various boats and things like coming landing on the beach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as you said, it was an ill conceived campaign. It was very poorly executed, et cetera, etcetera. It's quite controversial, but it was historical in the sense that and I think this is one reason why Gallipoli is so so you know, figure so large in the hearts of Australians and also in the sense in our sense of nationhood, is that it was the first time with forward as a nation under under our flag. And it was also there was that chism, There was that sense of happen a minute, I was serving the empire here and have we been betrayed of you know, you know, have we been just led into this slaughterhouse? And so it was the first time there was a sense of separatism, and you know, Keith Murdock was was pivotal to all that, and it was sort of those values of challenging orthodoxy, challenging the those who are in authority or ordained to be an authority that still is, you know, very much at the forefront of our value system today.
Speaker 1: You said something very interesting, you know, like I wouldn't say'm anty sorry but I don't like the system just because it's a system. I tend to push against it. You said, use the words elite or allitias. I'm not sure, but the self appointed elites, which you know, it's a big issue in America at the moment. So and you know we've got we know what murder opposition is on that. And and you know Republics first, the Democrats, and like funny enough, you can go right back to the Civil War. The Democrats come out of there from the South. They come out of the Civil War, and the Republicans, so they should because it actually was that's that's the slavers, and that's sort of where that whole game originated. And and I we're just moving along for because we want to talk about Australia, your job. But but we have something not too dissimilar Australian. I do remember the movie Breaking Rain whatever, the first great Australian movies about the Boll War, and which is when we got seent in there to do someone was a bidding Gallipli's not dissimilar, absolutely the same deal. And now I'm getting I'm getting all energized by talking about this because you've hit me right on a spot which is quite tender for me in terms of the elites and who appoint themselves of the so called self appointed moral dieticians of our society. And that's how sweet spots too, And they prosecute the ship out of it, and they make you feel guilty if you're not part of the movement.
Speaker 2: And that's like, I mean, that's what that's what we rele against. That give us, that's that's what gives us our purpose is actually exposing the hypocrisy because there's always self interested at the heart of it. It's a lot of we call them virtue signalers, you know, and there's there's a lot of there's a lot of what I call can't there's a lot of hypocrisy.
Speaker 1: And as you see more.
Speaker 2: Of it, it's industrialized. Yea, it looks like it's aroduction line to me totally. And it's been monetized. So you see that with various causes that people can see, well, there's there's not to make a lot of money here.
Speaker 1: So would you, I mean, I know, I don't know this. I mean, I'm just you know, you're the editor in chief that you know what we all read every day in New South Wales, Queensland through Corey Mail and Victoria through the Herald Sun. The share the stories are all shared pretty much. It's just one syndication that he writes, right.
Speaker 2: Do you.
Speaker 1: Are you interacting? I don't know if this is right wrong on a daily basis with your your global chairman? Ah, how does that work regularly?
Speaker 2: Not on a daily basis?
Speaker 1: So he doesn't say a mate, you know, this is the We're just covering the election in the US. We need much much more push or the strain lection which is coming up with much more push against let's say the Labor Party.
Speaker 2: Interesting. A lot of people ask me that they wonder about it. There's a sort of we call it Murdock arrangement syndrome.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Does he ring up and say listen, I don't like that. I don't like that brief on page eight No or Lackland to that matter. But I do speak to Lachlan a light because he's passionate about news. He's passionate about Sydney and Australia. But I have to say a hand on hard. He's never given me writing instructions on you will have this position. He's more just curious about how we, you know, what our take is on it. I think what they're most passionate about is that we're running the paper well and that the business has been run professionally, and that we're actually, you know, in sync with our audience. I think that and I don't think Rupert was any different. Are we actually serving our audience?
Speaker 1: So how do you work out what your audience wants?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 1: I mean, because I've wondered about this, is that are you is the media forging and molding public opinion and serving it to the public, or is the public making those decisions and requiring you to deliver what decision they've made?
Speaker 2: A great question. I think it's both. I think the way that we best influence sentiment opinion is by breaking stories, you know, like by exposing things and which otherwise wouldn't be known. That that is what shapes opinion. And then and then of course the emphasis we give on different stories that also shapes opinion too. So the front page. I know that people, you know, talk about the decline of print, but the front page still is an readibly powerful instrument.
Speaker 1: Is it as powerful on the digital version? So for example, and I get I subscribe as outa teleograph. I actually don't look at the front page. I mean, I see what you say. You go some stories from the top stories and assigned by newsletter, and I get that each day and then constru I get two I get two emails, ones from you, not to me, I mean as you send everybody. But it's the sort of the same with the stories after. And there's another one which is the actual newspaper. But the front page is not that important to me anymore. Yeah, digitally I'm talking about Yeah, digitally.
Speaker 2: We it's interesting. COVID was a bit of a game changer in terms of how people interact with the paper. Right, so a lot more people started reading the paper. So as it's printed online, so it's called we call it a digital print edition. And you know, on your app down the bottom it says today paper you click on it up comes the paper as it was printed. So so a lot of people do do that.
Speaker 1: But I don't find that compelling.
Speaker 2: The front page it's not as compelling, no, because there's something about the tactile paper. Right, it's big for a start, it's a lot bigger than you can then you can get on your phone.
Speaker 1: Or you're right, Yeah, I use the phone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, So so it doesn't have the same impact, but we're still making money from the printed product. Wow, good money on it, right, So.
Speaker 1: Is that more cost control and it's opposed a lot of career control.
Speaker 2: But but also you know, there's you know, there's still healthy advertising in print and it's still making a profit.
Speaker 1: Well, Katie Page is being very generous to you, guys.
Speaker 2: She's a great Katie you listening. She's a great person, passionate about print. Obviously it works for her, so thank you, for sure it does. And so look, obviously, and this is no secret print you know circulation is in a steady decline. It has been for thirty years actually, but it's still still sell a lot of papers. The trick, of course, and this is what everyone's trying to do around the globe, is as that's declining, you get you ramp up your digital engagement and consumption so that when print runs out, you're still firing.
Speaker 1: Do you think there will be a day? Because I remember when Amazon came along and every bookstore in the world closed down, and then all of a sudden, mysteriously the bookstores started up. In fact, Amazon, that's so true. Do you think there will come a day where we'll have no newspaper physical or do you think that. I don't want to call it romance, but whatever it is, the tactile nature of having a newspaper will sort of hit a level where it won't go below, maybe won't grow, but a base level. Yeah, baseline.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look, the brutal comics will tell you that probably there's no papers in twenty.
Speaker 1: Years because there's no point in having that base on because the cost of running the baseline. But you can't do it anymore.
Speaker 2: You've got all these fixed costs that you literally can't justify it unless you say, well, it's a vanity product that we do for brand or some marketing purposes. But I think that when you get to that point, you're going to by all means, you can create the DPE, but you don't have to actually send it to the print the print site. I think it'll be after I'm gone. I think the papers are here for quite some time yet. I think, yeah, eventually it'll get to you know, three a week, two a week, one a week, But that's that's a way off.
Speaker 1: Do you know I mean, I guess you do know this, but do you have a an analytical sense or your business doesn't have an analytical sense of the age and end or generation is actually physically stood by the paper. I know a lot of bitter about the Newsagian. I feel sorry for news, but they don't click the data for you. I mean you would know in terms of what guests. We've got a pretty good idea. Yeah, and how do you work that out? I mean it's I mean not how do you work it out? But what are you finding out? Are you finding out people over sixty what we're looking at?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's over sixty five? Yeah. I think the average age print reader is about sixty eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, sometimes my age.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But look, you've got the project to keep them alive, right, project one hundred.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want them to go to one hundred and eight.
Speaker 2: Well, we've got we need to support you in that.
Speaker 1: Now, I'd like you to support me in that because we actually together have the same the same interest toographic totally, but because but what I'm really interested I know too, by the way, is because Project one hundred is not just about old people living to long ages, about younger people become much more aware of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know one of the things is really important to us is younger people understanding how much money they need to earn to live to one hundred, not you know, because you know the current modeling and I'm yet about to organize a actually to do this analysis for me. But the current modeling as I understand the model and inputs to the model, is that there's an assumption someone's going to retire sixty five years of age on an average income has for the last thirty five years or since compulsory superinnovation we've got introduced by Keating in the mid nineties, has been putting away in variable amounts but between nine now twelve percent of their wages into their employee's been doing this into a super fund. Their super funds is assumption that they're earning eight percent perannimal but of some other number. And the assumption is that you die at eighty one, and the output is that how much money do I have to have between sixty five and eighty one to have nothing at the day I die or enough to pay my funeral? And that money's coming out of what I put away on the assumption that had earned so much over that thirty odd period period. And of course if all of a sudden we now lived to one hundred, anyone who's lives beyond ninety one is not going to have any money. And I'm really passionate about that. And that's a big education program.
Speaker 2: It's enormous.
Speaker 1: So what does say someone like your organization become passionate about in terms of education programs for your readers, what are you trying to educate them about? Are you trying to educate them about democracy, how important democracy still is, or you're trying to educate them about how important challenging the elites is.
Speaker 2: I think it's about certainly those things, but it's also about enabling them to live their lives to the best of their abilities.
Speaker 1: So it's informing it's gone beyond where you used to be very much. How can you live? Ben English are saying, for example, to me a consumer mark, we will give you stories absolutely that'll help you live longer and live better and you and perhaps have a better life with your family. And these are the things you need to know.
Speaker 2: So it's such a great question, and it's something we've been grappling with for some time. Is it how do we how do we justify someone to subscribe to our product, and it's not enough just to tell them what happened, because you can get that anywhere, get that anyway. It's commoditized. Yeah, right, so we've got to start increasingly tell them why, how, and what's next?
Speaker 1: Sunday. You used to have a mad dog yes section, Yeah, yeah, the health yeah healthy, got the barefoot investor. Yeah, you got him as well, Scott Scott Scott, So that's true, that's true.
Speaker 2: Right. So the papers have always served that, They've always had that breadth, but we've got to reflect that in our digital products as well. And that's why I love your project one hundred. I think it's a fabulous concept.
Speaker 1: It's a step beyond what those guys are doing.
Speaker 2: Although I'm not paid to say that, genuinely think.
Speaker 1: Thank good, but it is a step beyond that. And we're working on getting a producer all that sort of stuff. Are you seeing you? That's a pretty altruistic position for you guys to take.
Speaker 2: But it's not out of I mean, there's a selfishness to it. And the selfishness is that unless we do that, then people are not going to subscribe.
Speaker 1: So so in other words, it's becoming nearly compulsory absolutely.
Speaker 2: People are so demanding. They're so and they're promiscuous when it comes to how they how.
Speaker 1: They don't you jump from one to the other.
Speaker 2: So we've got to give them a reason to come back to us frequently. So we've got to do much better with health.
Speaker 1: Wealth, education. Are they really emerging?
Speaker 2: They are? Yeah, people are people are wanting this. They want what we call it's what we call breadth of subject matter. You know, Like I said, you know, everyone knows us to be fantastic in our coverage of NRL politics, showbiz and particularly crime, but we absolutely need to offer a lot more than that our consumers. Is to the people who are actually subscribing to a sex sophisticated they're informed and they're demand rightly more information, that more insights.
Speaker 1: So in terms of the education piece, which I mean and you know, who would think of a newspaper becoming educational or an educator, But and I don't mean it in a condescen any way. For newspapers that telling people, Yeah, it's more about because there are a lot of people who are not sophisticated and traditionally a lot of those people bought the telling Yeah, and they just want to know about the local robbery or sure of whatever it was in the footy.
Speaker 2: Well that's changed, and I think so yeah, yeah, I mean I think if you go back twenty thirty years, the you know, where you could go for information was so much more limited. It's what I call linear. It's basically what you were saying. You know, there's a very few owners of the information, and they fed it down to the market, and now it's been completely flattened, it's been atomized. And so how do we justify our continuing existence. We're no longer or we're less so much of a mass market daily. It's more we're actually increasingly serving a not niche, but a dedicated readership. And as those readership levels have declined, the level of sophistication and education has gone up. So those people who might have been buying the paper, you know, when we're selling six hundred thousand copies, you know, forty years ago, they're getting all the information on Facebook or Insta. A lot of those people who no longer buy the paper, the people who are buying the paper are subscribing to the paper. They're actually very well informed and very well engaged, leaning into the debates.
Speaker 1: And so if you does that mean crime with crime selves in terms still does doesn't mean crime. Those starts to take it in terms of what you guys produced. It starts to take less of a frontline position. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, we still want to be the best at it, and we have the best, but I think we've got to, like it's got to be part of a broader offering, you know. So that's where we're leaning in towards me. We won't ever drop crime because you know, you're right people rightly or wrongly. And I love reading about.
Speaker 1: It, and I know it's one of the most watched podcasts. Whenever I have a crime guest, it pumps.
Speaker 2: People love it.
Speaker 1: They love it. Crime, sex and sport. Generally, crime and sex kill it big time. What do you think do you think that health, longevity, blah blah blah, just a better life? Because you know, you guys have been wrighting about this for a long time, but it hasn't emerged above crime and hasn't emerged above sport. It has emerged about politics. But do you think as we as nation we age and we become more wealthy because you know, by the way, anyone who ow is probably in those countries as over fifty is now wealthy and they're looking for how can I hang out longer? Do you think those aspects that you guys have been playing with and covering but haven't promoted will become will emerge up there? It's equivalent.
Speaker 2: Look, they're not as explosive obviously literally or not. But I do think I do believe people will subscribe for that subject if the information is compelling enough, if it's engaging, it's interesting. We tell stories as imaginatively as we do and other, you know, as we tell our crime stories, and I think it will engage.
Speaker 1: I think that's I think that's the key.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it is too because your crime.
Speaker 1: Stories are good headlines. You've got really good journalists. If you've got too good journals writing it, and the you know, it's it's captivating it, especially if he puts the imagery up about it.
Speaker 2: But like, if not, it's like anything right, it's like anything mark, You've got to humanize it, right, And so I mean TikTok sort of saying, oh, you know, it's all about peer to peer. It's always been about peer to peer. It's always been like going back, you know, we started in eighteen seventy nine. The best story is always ones which you could put a face to. What's the illustration? How we know what's the picture? Where's the picture? We're visual creatures, not just visual, but we also want to hear the story personally. So if you told a Bland story about hey, if you take this cod liver concoction, then you know, statistics say you're going to live this.
Speaker 1: Who cares?
Speaker 2: Right? But if you've got someone who said, hey, I was on death Store and I started taking this and now I'm actually doing fifty press ups a.
Speaker 1: Day, probably read that, especially if it was in a video.
Speaker 2: Yeah, video even better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it was someone who was known because because you know, I was only prior to you coming in. I did a podcast with a chap and he's got this unbelievable new app in his very excepts for doing these things as a technologist. But he was talking to me about dementia and for people over sixty years of age, and that's a big part of Australia, and I dare say probably a lot of your subscribers are over sixty. The most searched illness on the through all search engines is dementia. Yeah, right, people is terrified of it. They are actually terrified of it.
Speaker 2: Well, going back to what you were saying, right, I don't think many people actually anticipate they're going to die at eighty one now, So the chances are you're going to have some form of outzheimers of dementia if you're going to live longer. So there's there's anxiety around, and am I going to have enough dough? There's anxiety around, and am I going to have my family around and my friends?
Speaker 1: There's going to be one mass my kids.
Speaker 2: It's pretty much it.
Speaker 1: And you say to your kids, it's nice to them, of cook, they might all say, no, I got four sons and their dad's stuff that. But there are important questions I think for us. But I want to ask you this question. You were a journalist originally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I still consider myself one.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, but you're more you know, like sitting at the top of the tree sort of making more decisions in relation to the strategy around the business and then probably looking over oversight on tactics. Sure, but do you still have a hankering to be a journalist, like actually want to write a story?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Have you written any rate recently, I did an interview with Jas Packer, which was a thrill.
Speaker 1: Yep, I read it, did you Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I did it as a Q and A, which I think, you know, I really enjoyed it. I thought he was fascinating. Did you have to go overseem I didn't know. We just did it, you know, basically online, and you know, it was tremendous and he was so candid. Yeah, I thought it was the feedback spent incredibly candid, incredibly yeah on him.
Speaker 1: I felt like James was purging a little bit, like it did, feel like getting it off his chest.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I thought it was cathartic in some way, very cathartic, you know, and it was really I was really heartened by you know, he seems in a good, much better place now. But anyway, I digress. So, yeah, that's got the blood pumping a bit. But there's a thrill in actually editing a paper and editing the sites, and that's like there's a bigger canvas there and actually coming up with ideas and then getting them executed is sort of a different sort of thrill.
Speaker 1: But how does it work? Does a journalist put the story up and I mean the old days, someone would have gone and corrected that.
Speaker 2: I don't do that. But it's more like I said, we come back to in the morning. We all get together and the chief of staff's come in and they'll talk about they'll have this topic plan, and they'll go through what they're pitching. They'll pitch right, and there's probably fifty stories they'll talk about, and I'll and the other leaders will say, well, hang on, a man, what about this.
Speaker 1: Physical meeting? Physical meaning like you're all sitting in.
Speaker 2: It's very old fashioned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And that's where particularly the morning one. There's a morning one, there's afternoon one, and in fact there's meetings well before that. Like they start at six. People start getting in at five their first sort of meeting talking about content from about seven. The time we have our main conference is ten. But everything's been up and running for a long time. And that first conference is where you have that really full and frank exchange of ideas, you know, where you throw stuff around and people will pipe up and say, do I think that's crap? So what about this? And you know, and.
Speaker 1: There is a consensus type where is it you.
Speaker 2: A bit of both? Look, you know, you know, they someone's talking about it as a benevolent sometimes not so a benevolent dictatorship. But I certainly try to cultivate a lot of voices in that room and try and get everyone, you know, because that's how people get motivated, if they're relevant and they're part of the process. Yeah, and herd. And once you get that going, it's fantastic, you know, and then people are fired up. The best newsroom are the ones where the best newsrooms are the ones where people are just like just leaning into stuff and excited and chasing something that they think is a you know, a really good thing to go after.
Speaker 1: And you and I guess the reward is getting a story up. Absolutely then for them to get a story up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, there's there's all sorts of different things, Like there's there's chasing a scoundrule and you're trying to trying to get at the current to get their image. There's you know, there's a minister gone you know, gone sour and so you're chasing the political story around that, or there's a scandal involving a cover up or whatever. There's so many different flavors to it. I mean, there's there's a like last week we did the Bush Summit in Orange and unbelievable luck for as we're concerned is that literally four days before the summit, the federal Environment Minister cans a one billion dollar gold mine just up the road from where we were holding the summit. And so so that was just a gift because then we could just absolutely.
Speaker 1: This is the goal mine. Yeah yeah, business business that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, song lines yeah, and so we inside the business. Well, let's have a lot of fun with that, you know. And what that means is let's just go for it and find every angle and you know, just and the way you the way you have fun with it is by exposing details is going after it and digging into the story about well, what was the process, Who did the minister speak to or didn't speak to? What about the mine operator? Did they engage with the local Aboriginal community. And it's in digging up those facts that the fund has had because you expose the gaps just been.
Speaker 1: English to the journalist or the journalists, Okay, you go and find out, you know, whether the labor party above the particular minister is an agreement with this outcome, both at state and do you do allocate jobs.
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 2: Sometimes I'll just say what about you know, one of my reporters, I might say, what's odoity doing? Could he do that? But it's more me. It's the chief of staffs. They're in charge of the staff, right. I leave that to them. I won't prescribe that because otherwise I'll screw it up. Because they've got enough. They're juggling a lot of balls. They'll know who they can allocate to it. But what the most important thing each day is prioritizing. You need to know what you're going after, and that's maximum two or three stories that you really go after and you throw your resources into. There's an old saying that you know, if you've got the front page sign up and everything else takes care of itself. It's not quite like that, but it's pretty close. If you get that main story right, then the rest of the paper sort of you know, it usually is a good paper.
Speaker 1: How do you know how long to go after something? I mean, when something sort of run out of runt. Sometimes I don't.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I'm still obsessed with it. In people it's like, hey, it's over all, it's over Yeah, you know, I'm like that Japanese soldier on the island in the nineteen fifties. But so, you know, that's why you have, you know, a good sort of counsel of minds around you, saying so pulling you.
Speaker 1: Up and do you you you're in terms of your team workers, I guess that's what you're referring to. Do you tend to have people around you in that regard, like, let's call it, you're in house counsel I mean lawyers, but counselors, counselors or whatever the word is. Do you rely on people that you've always known, you've worked with in the past for a long time, You trust, they trust.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there's there's a there's a small group of guys and girls in our office who are brilliant. You know, I'm extremely blessed. A lot of people say this about their teams, but I've just genuinely got a great team around me, and I heavily rely on them. You know, there's only about five or six of them who you know, you bring him and you often will have what we call a crisis meeting, was sort of we'd love to call it a crisis meeting. And sometimes it's six PM and go, Okay, what are we doing here? It's still a mess, and you work through it, and you know, you work through that on longer term projects. You work through it on something you've got to turn around the next half hour.
Speaker 1: Where do you see and I don't mean in terms of hard copies newspapers versus digital newspapers, but where do you see news organizations like yours, like massive ones in ten years time? Do you see? And hopefully they will be listening. But you know, staff don't get nervous about this. I'm not saying replacing stuff, but AI will have a big part of all this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll play.
Speaker 1: Big, and particularly the editorial stage that the stories we want to chase, there'll be some sort of you might even have it be some sort of software that'll be looking at what's going on in the world and saying, this is what everyone's talking about, is what readers want to know about, and it will determine what the editorial bent will be for the day or the week of the month.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, look, we do you see it. It's gonna it's going to be it's going to be massive. But look, I'm more glass huffle. I see it as liberating our finest minds, our best journals to actually do what they do best, which is, you know, you know, uncover and expose and and bring home stories that matter. A lot of the time, there's an incredible amount of unglamorous activity involved in actually putting a paper out and actually pulling a story together. A lot of a lot of calls that are not answered, a lot of emails that are ignored, a lot of doors that are knocked on that go unanswered as well. AI won't replace that, but AI will go a long way to helping that.
Speaker 1: Process more an enhancement.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, So it's going to be and it's going to be a tool in ways that we haven't imagined yet, but the ways that I already know about is going to be a fantastic aid to us. You know, it can go, it can wade through. You might have a hand side, say for example, or in Parliament.
Speaker 1: Or the Deparliament record inquiries.
Speaker 2: That committees have done, and you can you can basically far more efficiently way through that council meetings, you know, which we don't have enough reporters to go out of the council meetings. Now there's no replacement for actually physically being there, but certainly I can help with that. It can also help I'll give you an example as well, chat gpt, Right, So we just did it as an experiment. We said, okay, we want to send a cadet to and we imagine that there's been a drowning on the central coast. And we said, okay, chat ChiPT, here's here are the facts. A boy twelve has drowned at your minor beach at ten am. His body was found face down in the in the surf. Ask five questions, and so chatchpt came up with questions like, you know, what was his name? Okay, okay, that's fine. Ask us another five questions. Chat cheapt says, well, was there anyone on else on the beach, whether any surf life savers there? Ask another five questions. And but the time we got to the twentieth, and by the way, it's taken about three minutes, it's asking questions that we didn't anticipate. So that's story gathering, right, that that's a story gathering tool that could be really useful for young reporters to hone their craft about asking the right questions at a press conference. As an example, there's so many things that it can do that are going to help us. Yes, it's a threat to but there's going to be there's going to be some help along the way.
Speaker 1: And do you think that there's going to be? I mean, for me, for example, there's a survey one but that's why I have until I have I should ask chat GBT. But because I consume, because I have the ability to consume so often and so fast local news. So let's take the Bondi Junction Westfield drama. It was everywhere and pretty much everyone had the same information at that stage, so I felt as though I had seen it all and read it all. I did sort of give myself a bit of an uppercut because that night, I won't say I lost interest in it, but my interest had been completely filled. My cup was filled. I couldn't get any more information. So I started watching global news. Now I don't know whether I'm an unusual survey, but I was then became more interested in what was happening in the US and a little bit to this and to the UK, which is my sort of too important areas that I like to know about inter the news. Do you think that news will become more local? And sorry, less local and more global. Over time, our consumers becoming more interested in what's going on around in the world, far more is if I'm a weight attached to that than has been in the past, or do you think people just really want to know what's going on locally?
Speaker 2: I think it's the latter. I think you're you're a really well educated person. You know, you've traveled the world, You're a worldly person. I'm not saying most people aren't like that, but my experience is that hyper local is where people are at. They want to know what's happening in their world. It doesn't mean they don't also want to know about what's happening in the States, But there's no point me focusing resources on that because I will never do it as well as anyone else. What I can, what I do have a comparative advantage in is hyper local and owning this town.
Speaker 1: So talking about him globally, let's talk about him Donald Trump, former president or I think they're still call it a bunch of presidents President President Trump the next election, so no doubt, you know you're going to be covering you guys are covering at all. Is camally going to beat Donald? What would you think of that? I mean that do you think that was like an unbelievable cute move in terms of timing.
Speaker 2: It is incredible. I think that the well, I don't interest in your thoughts, but I thought the Democrats time that debate to give them options. I think what the Democrats have done to reimagine her is unbelievable.
Speaker 1: It's incredible. Her social media is and Craig has got nothing, but it's ridiculously good.
Speaker 2: It's the Signefeld candidate, right, yeah, totally. You know she's at about nothing, but it's the vibe the book. But it's amazing how suddenly Trump's the old guy. Yeah, and he looks at it. Yeah. And he hasn't worked it out yet. Do you think he hasn't worked out how to what the narrative is? You know, he's it's not working for him to attack her personally yet.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I think I think if he sticks to policies and he's every chance. I haven't answer your question whether she'll win, I reckon.
Speaker 1: I mean, the poll's got right ahead at the moment, slightly they do. No. Is it a popularity contest though, like I mean as America, Yeah, there is. I'm moved away from policy to popularity because we're talking about a voting of a present. We're not trying to talk about voting for a party versus another party. It's now, okay, this is where where I think that.
Speaker 2: I think that if Trump successfully positions her as part of the current administration, and he sticks to policies, he just talks about immigration, cost of living, and getting America moving again, and then he wins. I'm not sure if he can. I'm sure if he's capable of it. And I think the other problem is that people look at him and they go, maybe we don't want to move on from all the rancor, and maybe this is our chance to break from that, whether rightly or wrong. We maybe he's associated with that. But if you had a gun to my head, I say Trump wins just I think he just gets over the line. I think he gets Georgia. I think he wins. He still wins Arizona and Nevada and maybe one of the rus states, maybe Pennsylvania, and he gets there. Does it make a difference, That's a great question, That's a great I think it's off and overstated what difference it makes? I really do? I mean, people talk about Trump like, oh my god, if Trump comes in, it's just going to be armageddon. Kind of wasn't when he was president. In fact, on a foreign policy front, it was actually very sound. I didn't have any any wars. He's actually you're right, he was quite sound and quite reasonable.
Speaker 1: Very reasonable.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's a very good businessman, and he kind of ran it that way, and America was pumping before COVID came along. So I agree with you. I think it's a great question. I think that we definitely overestimate the importance of whoever the incumbony is. I mean, look, America's basically been running without with someone. They've been running in the vacuum for the last two years. Biden has not been firing on all cylinder, and nor does she. You have to go back on, go back through the transcript about how she how muddled she is on so many issues. But you know, I must say she's been pretty good in the spotlight the last four weeks. Incredible.
Speaker 1: Actually, well, you guys in your organization, you sort of dig deep into the weeds and you must be getting sort of lots of information from the US. This looks like to me, it looks it looks like to me, no idea, but it looks like to me, it's all been coordinated below like it looks like there's a puppet master or puppet mark.
Speaker 2: It does look that way. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but it does. Yeah, it looks scripted, right, It looked totally looks scripted. Well, certainly because I know and.
Speaker 1: I'm talking this conspiracy either. I'm just saying just this is power brokers managing a process and doing a brilliant job at it.
Speaker 2: Doing a brilliant job at it, and aid and embedded by the vast majority of mainstream media. Yeah, I mean, I forget the Hunter Biden laptop was buried, was buried by Google, was buried by Zuckerberg, was buried by Twitter before must took it, and it was buried by all the mainstream networks. The only ones that were running it were the Post Wall Street Journal, and so most of America did not even know about it. And yet it was a scandal. It was it was a dreadful scandal. So that plays a big It's just to your point about it all being neatly scripted. They're all they're all dancing to that cart are.
Speaker 1: We talking like a No, I don't want to get really weird. But is it like a cabal of powerful people? I don't know if it is. Yeah, but like I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think they get together.
Speaker 1: In a room, right, So it's not coordinated, but there's almost like market signaling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, market signaling.
Speaker 1: They're signaling and like, I get it. You guys are saying that, so we'll how we're going to contribute on Facebook and I'm going to say I'm going to bury this, and and then there would.
Speaker 2: Have been phone calls. Yeah for sure, mates, mate, this this is rubbish. You're not gonna run Thatay, no, don't worry buried. Yeah, you know, So it would have been more kind of at that level. Like as I say, it wouldn't have been executive meeting saying you know, this is our policy. But you also have within these organizations everyone signed up, right, So you're sort of pushing through an open door. Everyone's all part of that mission.
Speaker 1: Because I mean during COVID, you know, Lack's already admitted that he buried certain stuff about COVID. It's dangerous, totally dangerous.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, people would say I'm a murder editor. Yeah, well, what are you talking about? Don't you guys do that?
Speaker 1: Whether you do it or it doesn't matter, but maybe they both dangerous. But at least it's good to know that there's two sides of the imbalance in the system. And I guess that you know people's prejudices and there and also their biases. We're humans. It always comes out. Yeah, have the ability to write it because even like, if I look at the way someone writes a story, I mean generally speaking, I can see the language that they use is going to reflect their bias in the end, with their prejudice.
Speaker 2: It is, and rightly so. There've been concerns in the past of our concentration of media, but we've never seen anything like this in human history where a search engine is so utterly dominant on how we get our information. And so it's unprecedented and terrifying in a sense that you know, whatever you type in you can't it's been controlled.
Speaker 1: So you must have brother. This breathed a sigh of relief, and Musk took over x Or took over Twitter, because yeah, well he's sort of brought some he brought another side of the story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, look, he's a grenade thrower. We need them in the world, right, Yeah, it needs to be a bit.
Speaker 1: Messy, rightly or wrongly, we do need it. Well.
Speaker 2: I think that's where you know, Trump is sort of in their mole too, right, So when people say they don't like Trump, it's mainly because, like when you actually push them on it, it's often quite slippery. They can't actually say what it is they hate about him.
Speaker 1: I think he's got he's obnoxious.
Speaker 2: I think it's because he's he kind of goes against the grain of what people expect a politician should look and feel like and sound like and sound like right, and so he's that ultimate disruptor in that way, and you know, there's there's a lot that's objectionable about that. But also I think none of us should be surprised that he came along, because we had were basically served up crap for so long that there was there was a vacuum there waiting to be filled.
Speaker 1: I assume as the ultimate disruptor because he disrupted politics without any right to do so. But he saw the opportunity absolutely, And I have met him a couple of times, and you know, on the occasions that I interviewed him once. The only interview he did in Australia I had, He gave me a half hour interviewer was during the TV series and he of course owns The Apprentice with one of the owners of The Apprentice, and so he offered to do it. He offered me that he I could do it and we get footage for a show. But the thing that I took away from was as pre president, he has to be for me the most the an ultimate or the ultimate marketing person when you go to market your own brand. Genius ever in history, well that's a lot coming from you. There's you know, there's a lot of people who are up there. But but in modern history, at least obviously there's an agent. You know, JC was pretty good at it, but he still lasted till today. But Trump in modern history has to be one of the most ultimate, the ultimate. I think self market self promoters. And I don't mean that as a narcissist in a narcissistic way. I just mean putting himself in a position to disrupt politics as it was always seen.
Speaker 2: He has a genius.
Speaker 1: There is a genius. There is a genius even in the way he speaks. And because I can tell you the language we hear on television is not how he speaks one on one really, No, he doesn't talk that way. That's a deliberate. It's deliberate. Well, it's well crafted. Like where there's others of crafts for him. I don't know, but it's well crafted.
Speaker 2: The language jective though, isn't it?
Speaker 1: He does he does it. It's a performance, yeah, it is. It's like it's showmanship at best. He's incredibly entertaining. Even if you hate him, he's still entertaining. Want to watch him to hate him? Do you want to watch him to criticize him for somebody else?
Speaker 2: In no accident that The New York Times, the Washington Post has left leaning mastheads of the States had the greatest subscript subscription growth after Trump won. It was the best thing that ever happened to them because they had something to rail against and people rally to them to say, well, why should we hate Trump? When they articulated it for them.
Speaker 1: Do you think that I know we don't have president's elections in Australia, but like, do you think that our we are starting to move a little bit towards our territory? And it's nearly becoming when our poles do this, but prime ministerial elections, I know we both for our local member. But we are starting to move that territory.
Speaker 2: I think we are. And you see that this week with Jim Chalmers has attacked Uton. Yeah, attacked the man policy. It's harder to actually win the argument on policy these days. The SoundBite is getting compressed and so they go after the guy, which I think, by the way, is a sign of insecurity.
Speaker 1: It's not very Australian either. By the way, I'm not sure if it works. We play we don't we play the ball, we don't play the man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's like it.
Speaker 1: No, I that's what I think too. And I but my gut feeling is politics is borrowing from what they see in America, definitely, and it's nearly like there. I mean, particularly when it comes to Labor and the Democrats, Labor and Australia the democracy is I think that it feels like to me that they're nearly talking to each other saying listen, we're gonna lecture coming up to is there something you can help us as your you know, compatriots in the same cause win our next election or hold our position in Australia. This is important for you as a Democrat, if you as a Democrat leadership for Australia to be similar with the Labor Party. And I just get that's just the thing I feel.
Speaker 2: Certainly, certainly in terms of political strategy, there's a there's a heap of exchange of ideas. There's actually individuals who worked on both campaigns. It happened with Kirs Starmer. It happened also on the Conservative side where Crosby Texter, you know, they helped out with the Conservative campaigns in the UK. There's actually a Labor guy from Australia who's working on the Democrats campaign. So there's there's definitely.
Speaker 1: And we'll come back to probably to work on.
Speaker 2: There's cross pollination there happening, and so that is the That's the real deal, definitely, because I just be something.
Speaker 1: I just feel it. Because the way like they're polling every week, you know.
Speaker 2: And the small so at the moment, what you know, he's actually written about the weekend. I'm not making this up that they was saying that the small target strategy that Kamala has adopted may in some way have been borrowed. I mean maybe it's overstating it, but they're suggesting that that, you know, does emulate in a way the way ALBINIZI had a successful campaign in that he kind of was able to successfully present himself as a as a you know, no damage alternative that you know, I've got a safe pair of hands here. There was not much policy, you know, not not huge policy discussion during that campaign. It was mainly just I'm not Morrison.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, it's funny you should say that, because I've been thinking about the upcoming election. By the way, I have a prediction. So I'll boldly say to you, great I think, and I've said this. I still do lots of talks and lectures on the economy, and I said recently, I said, if Labor calls an election before the end of this year, you can pretty much bet that come for every next year we're going to have a recession. Because they know the numbers better than anybody else, because you know, they're talking to Treasury all the time, and Labor will call that election because they don't want to go into it. They don't want to go into election mode intercession, inter recession, because that that's just good night. It doesn't necessarily follow if they don't call election before the end of the year, that we won't have a recession next year, because there could be other ministry.
Speaker 2: Definitely will be one if the dred percent.
Speaker 1: And we are seeing a little bit of noise at the moment and a little bit of ball passing and like pushing the blame across the RBA. I'm getting signs right now, and you know, because you know, and by the way, what I think is quite interesting is that the RBA was appointed by this party, in fact by the treasurer.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Yet now he's coming home on the ABA. The RBA more recently very sort of interestingly but sort of pointed to the fact that they're working against the government of the Montain or the governments working against them.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: They didn't say as much, but you know, you could could. That's sort of the coded walking. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, And I find it quite interesting. And I just my gut feeling is something's something is brewing at the labor level. I think they're getting nervous.
Speaker 2: So on that the clients just turn it back here, do you think. I mean, we're talking about this narrow path that Bullock has to sort of try and navigate right, And.
Speaker 1: I don't think there is a narrow path as byner is one or the other. Right, it's not the recession a recession, and I think I think it's got to be recession.
Speaker 2: Okay, So therefore her bias should be towards cutting.
Speaker 1: Rates, right, Yeah, No, therefore she should say therefore, well, their database, so they're going to say, yes, yes, the bias will be, but they're never going to She's never going to say it. So she's going to hold race.
Speaker 2: She doesn't have inflation expectation and.
Speaker 1: She doesn't want to beat do what her predecessor did. Yes, so she's not going to say so she's just whole rates. I think she's been very good by the way I do too. She shouldn't be measured, yes, And by the way, she hasn't got upset with the government because like the government is actually spending money at state and federal levels, not just one, but at both those levels, which is actually making her job a lot harder. It is because the money's not been spent so much in infrastructure, but it's all the employees that the government's employing in all the various great outcomes and ndis they are all things that need to be done, don't get me wrong, but maybe a little hold on, like a freeze on employment for maybe six months, would be a good idea. Because every single person of the thirty six thousand people they are now going to be employed in the last budget at a federal level, they're all going to be put into one of these pockets, and they're all going to get paid a lot of money. And they are getting paid a lot of money. And the generally speaking of being pulled out of organizations like mine or the CBA and everyone else.
Speaker 2: There's capacity constraints in the private sex.
Speaker 1: Correct, and we have to pay more money than to get a person. So my my only alternative then is to increase my pricing, which we can't in the in our industry because you know, we have a standard price that pretty much everyone charges, but other industries can can charge. And that's by definitely is going to be inflationary. So there's there, seems to me from to answer your question from the Governor of the Reserve Bank's position, I think she knows, and you know, we only have to go back to the great Poor Keeping, who you know, people don't like him, is very divisive, but you have to say he's probably one of the smarter treasures we've ever had. And he did some great things, you know at the time, you know, keeping boarding compulsory superinnovation, which has turned out to be a great relief against Australian perse when people retire, given we've got an aging population. I would dare say that ORD needs to be recalculated, but doesn't matter. He did deregulate the banking system so allowed people like my businesses come out to put pressure on the banks to lend it the right price. He did a lot of stuff, floated flow the currency. He did a lot of great things. But he also did something really important in ninety ninety one. I think was he was treasure at the time. He said, this is a recession we had to have. And if you look at the stats right now, and she'd be looking at the stats all the time. We have never had bad statistics in a data censeer to the dutyp et cetera, retail retail sales, et cetera, as we had back in nineteen ninety one. We have to go back thirty years to see the same numbers. And I could only say to you, because he was always honest Paul, which is why he lost his election in ninety six because you'd probably two on.
Speaker 2: Us for us.
Speaker 1: But he did say we had to have that recession to curb inflation. And my gut feeling is she is probably saying the same yeah, but won't say it. And I think the Treasurer probably knows it, and I think the Treasury numbers. We're going to get some numbers out in the next couple of days, but he probably is terrified of those things, and he's going to start pushing the blame down the other end of the bookshelf.
Speaker 2: Well, look Albernez, he quite rightly said before the last election that because he was asked, well, how are you going to drive real increase in wages without unleashing inflation, he said, because we're going to get productivity guns. So he hasn't delivered on that. And I think that's the.
Speaker 1: Most in the first part, productivity on the.
Speaker 2: First part, But the most critical thing in my mind is the second part. And it's hard to get productivity gains, but you certainly don't. You don't get productivity gains by making the industrial system more rigid. And I think that that's where it's going to come home to roost for them is that they've introduced some draconian restrictions on businesses, and the latest one being the right to disconnect, which are just ideological in nature and absolutely anathematic productivity.
Speaker 1: And small business growth, well.
Speaker 2: Small business is that's where it's really the rubber's hitting the road, right.
Speaker 1: I mean, you'd be seeing that, would you know. I'm totally seeing it. Like you know, seventy percent of every person that's employed in this country, gamefully employed in this country, works for a small business. Most small businesses work on the premise that they don't have premises, So people actually work from home because rents so high commercially and so high, and it makes sense for people to work from home because a lot of these things are ministry roles. Well, productivity means if I'm you know, if you're working for me and you work from home, that if it probably means that you're going to stop at three o'clock because you might want to pick your kids up, which is fine, but you want to pick up tools again at eight o'clock. And I know the bank's operation this way. I mean most of the banks who talk to my brokers talk to them at seven pm at night. Yeah, the credit keep people, my guys up, my becus a MBM at night. And that's flexible, right, correct. So if all of a sudden, I'm I can't read my guys, it's after five o'clock, then how am I going to get my loans approved? So and by all small business are affected like this. They all have flexibility. They have to have flexibility because if they don't provide the flexibility to their staff members, the staff members have so many choices and go and work. If the government will go never go to work.
Speaker 2: Well, we're at a front page story today about how hopeless our councils are at proving development applications. If you had them in the if the councils of the private sector, they wouldn't be knocking off at three o'clock and having an IDEO every nine days, and those applications will probably be getting done more frequently. That's there's an example of where the state is the dead hand on productivity.
Speaker 1: And and that's why the federal government will never solve. They will never build one point two million houses, which is their five you ticket, there is no chance. And and by the way, they need one point two million new House over the next five years based on what was previously considered to be the lot the medium term immigration numbers, which has already been blown out of the water. So you know, like so therefore, I do think if we go back to, you know, the next election, I do believe there is a big chance that the government will call an election before the end of thisition. I don't know what the timing world. I don't have Helen caretaker period's work, but like I would say, watch this space in the next month.
Speaker 2: That's what I think. I don't dispute that.
Speaker 1: And and it is becoming a personality game, as you said, the it's about keeping Albanesi clean. So you don't see Albanizi talk about any of these things. He's running the Kamala Harris style and he's using Jim to attack on this or you know, Penny Wong to attack on that or someone else. So they're all the bad but we'll just keep him pretty happy, you know. And I wonder in a minute, I'll put it back to you, do you think Australians would buy that? Do you think what do you think about Do you think Australians no, like American voters.
Speaker 2: No, I no, I don't. Well it's compulsory, so it's different.
Speaker 1: But do you think we're more wide into the games that people play?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so. I think so. I think that we are skeptical, very skeptical by hr yes, very untrusting in politicians. There's got to be something what's the hidden agenda here that would.
Speaker 1: Be the least trusted people I think in the next country.
Speaker 2: Maybe next to me, but yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: Journalists and meeting politicians, sales.
Speaker 2: And yeah, we're all in that. No, I think that's right. I think that Australians also would be very wary about kicking a government out after one term, right, because I don't, like, you know, we believe in a fair go. We want to give them, give them a chance to having a crack. But just to your point earlier, like people are hurting, and they're hurting when the power bill arrives. They're hurting when they see how much the mortgages or how much their rent's gone up, and right there, wrong, Well, actually you know they can shoot that home to this government. And the reason is is because they actually fought the last election on the cost of living how it's going up under Morrison.
Speaker 1: So will your paper prosecute that? I mean, is that is that what you do? Is that what your paper your news outlets? Well, do you, as the main editor, guy, did you say to your team, well, let's call us out let's because that's news.
Speaker 2: Let's call them both out.
Speaker 1: Okay, but the liberals insaney.
Speaker 2: No, But but then again, they're going to have they're going to present their pitch to the nation, and we have to interrogate that. Yeah. True, but yeah, definitely we I think it's a mistake too. It was a little bit like the Voice, So we didn't declare our hand on where we stood on the Voice. We just chased the story and watched the developments. Yeah, watsch the developments and very much to strains has made up their own minds. They didn't need any guidance from us or anyone else that they determined that. You know, I think it can be overstated the influence that papers have on how people vote on election day. It's important. It's one element, you know, But I'm in a game where I mean the game I mean is actually being trustworthy and actually presenting Our journalism has to be above approach, particularly with the onslaught from social media. That's our point of difference is that you know, we've got professional journalists who live in your community. They pay the same bills. They you know, they drive cars on the same roads. That's how point of difference if for.
Speaker 1: Is that because social media journalists, yes, is not edited, it is not controlled.
Speaker 2: What's derivative from us. So they rip our journalism off.
Speaker 1: But then they put their own spin on it.
Speaker 2: No, they just don't live here. What they'll do is they don't put a spin on it. They just shove it up there and just let the algorithm do its work. Right. But my point is that they're not here. They're in you know, they're in California somewhere.
Speaker 1: And do you think I mean, if you were asked to advise Anthony who by the way, I have met him once or twice, but from what people tell me, who haven't. He's a good blake, bubbly blake. Like I don't really know him.
Speaker 2: Well, we've been a footy a few times together. He's actually he's a great he's a great footy.
Speaker 1: He loves you, he loves his site, he loves footy generally, and he comes from a really humble beginnings. I mean, I like his whole story.
Speaker 2: I guess that's true.
Speaker 1: But if you're you know, you're an influential person, would you suggest to him that he should do he actually should expose himself to more more media because he doesn't really do that much media unless he's very controlled. He gives you the soundbites, but actually I don't really remember seeing him sit down with anybody for a long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, look, I don't think like he's not he's not as he's not on the level of some of the American politicians. He's certainly a lot more available on that. He does a lot of stand ups, a lot more doorstops. Yeah, yeah, And I wouldn't have that criticism of him. I think, for example, if we said, mate, we want to do a sit down with you in Freewek's time, he do it, we'd probably get it. Okay, you know, I wouldn't criticize him on that on that front at all.
Speaker 1: And what do you think about Dunton? Then he's done playing the reverse game, is done just saying I'm not going to say too much you talk about nuclear I get that, But other than that, I don't need to say.
Speaker 2: I think he's been very, very disciplined and to your point, he's kind of been very selective about when he's when he talks, and that's obviously a deliberate strategy because you can sound very shrill very quickly. We saw that with Jardie McKay and New South Wales. Mean, that was a disaster because she was just bagging everything. And then you see Chris Mins, who's actually actually incredible, incredibly, measured, incredibly but also magnanimous. So he's very happy to give credit where it's due.
Speaker 1: Oh I saw him at the then the Martin Players railway, like the what do we call this rolling thing? Yeah, the Metro and he congratulated Domin and he congratulate Gladys, which are You're right, it's magnanimous actually because like he's actually a really decent person. Oh he is not suggesting anybody else is not. But he's a very decent guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah he is, and smart, very smart. And when you look at Chris Mins, you don't actually see the labor brand on him, right, Yeah, it's that's clever. Yeah, it's sort of like what you see is just him instinctively respond to things. And I think that he's a new brand of politician in that respect and it's incredibly effective. But the opposition cannot lay a glove on him.
Speaker 1: Nah, well, no one even knows who's I mean, we know who speaks, we know who his opposite number is. But well but a lot of it wouldn't know. And Chris is sort of put himself out there. He's so far ahead of everybody, he's like ten seconds ahead of everybody else in the two hundred meters. He's so far right ahead, like he's the only one in the race.
Speaker 2: But he's also I think I think he's also enough of a realist to know that that doesn't that doesn't, that can end very quickly. So I think he's you know, he's very determined and disciplined at the moment. He knows that this housing crisis will just swallow him up and spit him out unless he stays on top of it.
Speaker 1: So I guess it brings us to the story of a warrick Farmers Rose Hill. That's a a shit fight. Well, pout of landis is being dragged into it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, In fact, it's the Australian Turf Club. Yeah, so it's not him, No, he's a regulator. Yeah, so it's a turf club that owns for Rose Hill. But of course that was an opportunity for Landi's detractors to use this as an excuse to have a crack at.
Speaker 1: Him, which is sort of worked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well to an extent.
Speaker 1: Men's backs him or backs backs the backs the idea.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's a good idea, I think, and he recognizes it. It's not a good idea, it's a great idea.
Speaker 1: Well, it's compulsory because we need more housing.
Speaker 2: We need more housing, and it's definitely the most attractive tract of land where people want to live in Sydney in the basin and you can get twenty five thousand homes in there, The Metro will go through there and you'll basically set up safeguard the racing industry for the next half century, if not more so.
Speaker 1: How does then how does how do the the controversy get legs?
Speaker 2: Well, I think that the ATC would probably have, had their time again, have approached it differently. They would have done a lot more stakeholder engagement.
Speaker 1: As in consultations one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: They should have spoken to the trainers and and actually presented the vision of where they want to take racing and I don't think they necessarily did that as well as they might have liked.
Speaker 1: So when that story comes into the you know, the editorial room, whatever you call it, you know, the the morning meeting.
Speaker 2: Sure, what do you do?
Speaker 1: What do you what's your first reaction to that?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, a bit of that, but I mean it's a stunning it's a stunning piece of stunning revelation.
Speaker 1: You've got premiers and everything, Pajaman the NRL names massive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and also like rose Hill is, there is incredible sentimental attachment to it. You know, the Golden Step has been there for more sixty years and so yeah, what do I do when that happens? It's like, right, let's get our heads around it. You know what do we think? We just basically do what you do with any yarn is, let's get the facts and then sort of then you know, the answers will sort of make themselves apparent.
Speaker 1: So do you have but do you get sort of is there a nervousness about the urgency because we've got to get this up? Do you see You've got two hours or so.
Speaker 2: I've got to express it. Probably shouldn't say what it is, but basically, let's call it fast and dirty, which is basically, get the yarn up.
Speaker 1: Get something up straight to get it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, and then let's let's build on it. Yeah, refined because it is a game of speed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the speed is quick.
Speaker 2: Quickness is important, Yeah, because your CEO search engine optimization authority is determined by one that important component of speed, right that you know, the engine determines that you've got more authority if you're first. Right, So speed is very very important.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So the digital world's changed things a little bit a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you can't. You can't just sort of you know, take your time. You've got to get it up and then continue to add to it, add to the richness of the story. And you know, there's there's a whole lot of components that go into that.
Speaker 1: So I just want to find a question. I mean, do you see anybody or anything out there that can disrupt between the two main news outlets, which is nine and News Corp. Well Daily Telegraph? Is there a do you think there's some threat there? Because I remember many many years ago and Don Ugus was the CEO of NAB. Don Augus was asked this question. It was in the AFI I was in two thousand and two or three, and they said what keeps you wake at night? In terms of the banks controlling the market. And his answer to that was, funnily enough, someone a General Electric coming to the marketplace and becoming a bank. Of course they bought my business. As as soon as I read it, I went straight to thank you, thank you, don But but if I'm asking you the same question today, what was your most what keeps you awake?
Speaker 2: Where I went to straight away was retail media. Well you mentioned Amazon, right, Amazon's got enormous retail media like on there through all their assets, They've got content and they could easily just you know, they will hoover up a lot of attention, a lot of revenue that way. So Wilworth has their own media. They have their own digital magazine, physical magazines. All of the big companies have that, and they're they're hoovering up revenue as well as the social media as an advertising revenee. Advertising but you know, a subscription, no no advertising revenue. Absolutely to reach play engagement and so that they're they're hiring journalists. Banks are hiring journalists. They're all hiring journalists. So what keeps me up at night. I suppose is that in the other corollay for that is talent. It's so hard to hold on to and attract talented journalists because they all go to UNI, might do a communications course and all the all the lecturers are saying, I don't go to the media, there's no future in it. Of course there's a future in it, but they just don't see that in the universities. So talent, the pipeline of talent's one of the one of the toughest things.
Speaker 1: And does that mean therefore then that perhaps you need to word infiltrate sort of comes to mind. But engage, engage with the university there we are go and see someone like David Gons Can you say, how can we assist?
Speaker 2: So we do that. We've got campus partnerships with well in Sydney. We've got three campus partnerships Western Sydney, Sydney and un Newcastle.
Speaker 1: You would have been inestud No, I haven't got them yet.
Speaker 2: If you can help me out, I can.
Speaker 1: I can David who's I'm alumni there and David would definitely be interested in.
Speaker 2: Talk trific Okay, great, we'll take that off on totally brilliant. And that involves us giving guest lectures, getting the students to come and they do internships and we we certainly we give a free subscription to the students and we try to serve up content that's relevant to them and hopefully that's an investment in future, you know, full blown subscribers, you get that sort of pipeline of engagement. So yeah, well that's absolutely critical to our mission to remain viable, because you're.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean, unless a software can write for you, which perhaps may be the case one day, but right now, in order to be a news business, you have to have talent to write the news.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you do, and and it's all the more precious, you know that. As I said at the outset, I'm fortunate to have a good team, but you can't take that for granted. I probably spend you know, he asked me. Actually the first question asked is what do I do. I probably spend you know, four hours out of every ten on talent development and my team. It's absolutely critical.
Speaker 1: Have you got an aging talent pool. It's a good mix. It's a good mix.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we've got we've got a good cadet ship program, unfortunate. I mean, that's actually the money from Google to license our content pays for our cadetship program. And it's so so critical because it's sort of injecting that fresh blood. But then we've also got the grizzly old journals that are there too, who are fantastic.
Speaker 1: Well, that's only sort of says that your attention has been very good. I mean, because I mean everything's about recruitment and retention. So maybe the recruitments more difficult because there's lesser pool to recruit them. There's more people trying to hit that pool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right, retention is, but your attentions.
Speaker 1: I mean, like if I look at you mentioned my car Arnison, which is one of the younger Rugby League journalists. Michael's maybe he's forty, I don't know sure, But then you've got Buzz, who's like my age, Buzz one hundred Buzz to hear that, and but you still got in there. Yeah, because to keep Michael you need to have absolutely you need he wants to look. He looks up to Buzz and that's sort of like, you know, if he wasn't there, it's going to be hard to get a whole lot of footy the inspiration.
Speaker 2: And it's the same with Mark Maury as our crime Yeah, and then Josh Hanrahan is just freakishly good and they're like, you know, the old couple, but they work together. Well.
Speaker 1: Markemurray's got a head for crime. He doesn't. He's just like I look at him, he's on TV. I come in where I see him now he's probably but asking that. I think he's got a head for a crime writer. Brilliant and just just on that, just sorry, quickly, I mean I'm going I've been going too long. I'm getting wound up. But just on that. I remember in the days when Hardo was there, we're going to talk about long time ago. They are always connected with the cops, and you know, they did a lot with the police because you know, they needed to get that's information. That's it still works that way very much. Yeah, because.
Speaker 2: It works both ways.
Speaker 1: Yeah, correct, because sometimes the police wants something.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean it doesn't mean we hold them, don't hold them account Yeah, but you definitely have to have a strong relationship and have that back channel ability to have those back channel conversations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and what doesn't really compromise you anyway, because you know, just because you're talking to, you know, the crime commander for New South Wales, it doesn't necessarily mean you've got to support the commissioner if she's in the you know, in the in the headlines for some reason. Right, And because the crime the head of crime, he'll still talk to you because he knows there's a need for that. So I sort of get that. But the old days are pretty close. I mean I haven't really been around. I'm still involved with the police, but in terms of I do stuff for them. But do you still play that game sort of very much? Mark Murray would sort of be talking to them.
Speaker 2: All the time. Yeah, and me too. You know, it's really important to have those relationships because it's also like I have to have a very strong contact book and being constantly contact with a lot of external parties. Otherwise, he asked me before, how do I have a sense of what's important? I have to be out and about a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and does that mean your life is sort of you know, you're always.
Speaker 2: On pretty much? Yeah, yeah, I like that. Yeah, it's fun.
Speaker 1: So nine times you've got to go to functions to write down the sort of dallims and it gets definitely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's an important one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So you okay, that's cool, but that means you're incredibly busy then, like if you're kicking off early in the morning, because you've got to be around when people talking to you. But then you've got to sort of do the schmoozing sort of stuff. I mean it's sort of pr type of thing. But I've got to be present.
Speaker 2: You've got to be present, You've got to c and be scene and I think it's really important. So that's how you established trust.
Speaker 1: As well enjoying it.
Speaker 2: I'm loving it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the best job. I've got the best job in Sydney.
Speaker 2: I love it. It's so great.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And and what's the Yeah, do you worry about burnout.
Speaker 2: Every day?
Speaker 1: Yeah? You feel exhausted?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I kind of cacun a bit on the weekends. Yeah, whor I can you just sort of you know, you're not really But.
Speaker 1: What is someone like you do to just to flip it a little bit too, just to relax, to decompress. I serve like actually in the on a border yea wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And do you live in Cyitny?
Speaker 2: Yeah, surf at Maroubra okay, and you know that's just great. You're in the wilderness and no one.
Speaker 1: Can call you. Always surfed. Yeah, since I was that seven or eight, Apple Juice was sitting across of there. He used to be a journalist Tracks.
Speaker 2: I was talking to him. Amazing. I mean, that's what I have that I dreamt off, that's the dream shop.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, he was jals of tracks. But he left me because and if he saw the like, he decided to come to stay talk much better. So you could have done that if you had, if you were twenty five, thirty five, forty years younger, you could have done the same thing. All go wrong, mate. Good to see
Speaker 2: You too, mate, Thanks so much.