Speaker 1: Hello and welcome to the Code NRL Podcast. I'm dean Bulldog Richie, joined by Alex from merl Soapbox Soapy.
Speaker 2: Hey, how am I'm good.
Speaker 1: Buddy and of course the one and only Fatima could do? How are Fatima? I'm going to get you to start us off today, Fatima, because Mitchell Moses on Monday morning gets held a press commrich to talk about his injury and whether he's playing run us through.
Speaker 3: What happened Well, for the last five six days, everybody else has been talking about Mitchell Moses. This morning he spoke and he declared he is ready to go. He described his hamstring injury as nothing but a scratch. So look, he's had limited preparations for Game two. He missed out on that first contact session in Thursday at the wyn Ruse. He did a bit of a scrimmage on Saturday. The Blues are at Amy Park on Monday morning. It's expected he'll get through, or at least hope to get through that entire session. But he says he's confident. It's not his kicking leg. He's been able to run and yeah, as he said, he's ready to go.
Speaker 1: I think it might be a little bit more serious than just a scratch. He ruled out of Paramouter's game last week. But Sophie, are you convinced Mitch Moses's fit and can you get through the eighty minutes?
Speaker 4: Well, I've got to take his word for it, and so Mitch Moses has been a great servant to New South Wales, so he wouldn't put us in a position where we'd be looking vulnerable. I was very much wanting Ethan Strange to play because of all the question marks around Moses and Stranger's previous performance. But when we now look at the other injury impacts for New South Wales, we've got a rookie Blues player in Mark Nowanase coming in on that left edge.
Speaker 2: We probably Kola goes into the center.
Speaker 4: If we had Strange there, that would be an unbelievably inexperienced edge. So bringing Moses in now, I'm like, Okay, Laurie knows what he's doing for this part, and I'm pretty happy about it.
Speaker 3: Well, with the injury to Casey McLean, obviously there was that little shift with Cooler coming into the centres and Mark Nowo ands on the wing. Brett White has intimated that there potentially are not decided exactly of what those edges might look like, So mate potentially might be a swap between Brian Toto and Mark nawang andoas with the edges. I don't know if I would do that, considering Bizza and Tony Staggs have pretty much had two full camps, you know, training doing reps on that edge. But there could be some late changes in terms of exactly how those edges.
Speaker 4: Look look That's really I like that idea though, just to see experience looking after the junior players and the junior talent has done great so far under Lorri, but you want to make sure they're being looked after, because that's a that would be if I was coincident, if I was going to target anywhere, it'd be where all the rookies are.
Speaker 5: Sopie wat your overall thought.
Speaker 1: Now that we look like we've finally come up with a final nineteen for the Blues, are.
Speaker 5: You confident in New South Wales? Do you think they can win?
Speaker 4: Or well, I'm really glad you asked me this bulldog because I want justice for what has that man done wrong? But I actually loved Dylan Lucas. He's awesome I think this team actually looks really great and upset this before. But I think Queensland played at their best. They're almost at their peak. New South Wales had a lot of improvement to go. If they play even fifty percent better, I think they're very much the favorite.
Speaker 5: Are you a fan of Dylan Lucas Patima?
Speaker 3: He's been incredible for the Knights, Like you can't take away what he's done for Newcastle this year. But I'm with Sophie, like, if you look at the back rollers that we had available for selection, Hamole Olatu was our form backrower this year, so and I agree if there is some improvement, there would have been improvement in guys like Comole Olatu, and I have no doubt he would have been better than what he produced in Game one, which I still think wasn't bad. Wasn't that bad. There was talk, you know, there was issues. The coaching staff didn't like everything what they saw of him off the ball, the rest of it. But I still thought his line speed was okay. You know, yes he did get fatigued, but you know it's origin who isn't which you know, one hundred plus hundred and ten plus forward isn't feeling a level of fatigue. I'll starting forwards were fatigued after ten minutes, so look, I think Dylan Lucas will go well. I'm a sopie. I'm disappointed for Hamolo Olokawatsu because I think he's made for that arena, But you know, if you have to have faith and Laurie and that.
Speaker 1: Decision, I would have gone with Hamoli myself. But I do know there was a couple of incidances in game one, which I don't know whether you guys remember. One was a poor kick Chase Emally didn't quite reach his target come on pong and had a long break.
Speaker 5: They scored moments later, and I think the.
Speaker 1: Eathan Strange, no try Emoi, mister mark and run there. It was a bad langule he ran and he didn't push through, and that costs the Blues to try. It's only little, but those are the little moments win and all the rest of origin.
Speaker 2: But I'm a manly fan. I'm going to look after my boy.
Speaker 4: Jimole here like he was nowhere near in the bottom fire performers, so I would understand if he had an absolute Barry Crocker, but he actually put in a decent effort.
Speaker 5: Let him and.
Speaker 4: Run meters, let him post contact meters and at other times let in the kickchase put on that pressure. It's not his fault. His teamates were dropping the ball left, right and center. But I'm pretty keen on Dylan Lucas. I think it's gonna be awesome. I think when Queensland are tired, he's going to run a mark. I think it's still a good selection. I just want justice for Home all day.
Speaker 1: Let's move on to Queensland and when we come on this show, we like to have a bit of fun ye and a few jops.
Speaker 5: That's part of the show.
Speaker 1: But before we do that, we just want to send our condolences, our deepest condolences to Big Tinoli. Of course, his father already passed away last Thursday, so to Tino and his extended family and the whole Queensland side, we send our love and support up there. It's only a game in the end, and tin is obviously known about his father's illness, which has been quite a long It was for a long time at this point Tino is playing, but we just wanted to send on our condolences to the Ari family, right Queensland Bulldog's bite today. I've come out and said, Kaylen Ponger pulled your head in the shoulder, charges not one, but two and nine a few weeks and this studs up kung fu kick karate, Hey, karate, that's what he's been doing.
Speaker 5: And I fear I'm spitting now, that's how upset on.
Speaker 1: I fear that when Klen goes up to catch his kicks studs up, it's going to come at someone's eye.
Speaker 5: Am I on the money you have? I got it right on.
Speaker 4: You've timed this perfectly, like I know what you're doing. Then it's Monday coming into Origin. You want the attention on this karate kick, and I'm with you. I'm with your bulldog. I think, like I understand what he's doing. It's a self preservation measure. It's getting a bit too greedy though, isn't he. Sometimes it's not just this studs are up, it's there's a kick going out that's not a legal play.
Speaker 1: Well, if someone runs into that leg though, they get the penley as in Ponger, and that's another fans are noticing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I think you're right.
Speaker 4: I think I hope that the referees are paying close attention to that, because you can't just be doing karate kicks mid eir yeah thoughts uh Yeah.
Speaker 3: There was one against Parat a couple of weeks ago where I can't remember who the parent defender was, but you know, if you freeze for it was almost like his studs were touched. Williams Jack Williams, all right, yes so. And there was also a couple of sort of weird high ball takes in Origin one as well, where he was almost putting himself in a position to knock himself out with how hard he was falling to the ground. I did hear Ponga on the weekend talk about the tackling technique side of things, and you know what, he put his hand up saying, you know, I have to be better. I understand that. Not only do I have, you know, a response like I've got a responsibility of making sure of not putting my opposition players in a dangerous position. And he did, you know, concede that it is a technique that goes awry a little bit for him, especially when he's defending and sliding on the line. So yeah, it'll be interesting to see if he's read Yaw pulled one about the kung fu kicks and you know what he does with his shoulders On Wednesday night, before.
Speaker 5: We move on from the state of Origin, Fearless Tips.
Speaker 3: Go. Of course New South Wales by a very confidently of course, Nathan Cleary puts in another massive performance and he will eventually win the Wally Lewis Medal.
Speaker 5: On the back of it.
Speaker 2: Love that one.
Speaker 4: I think New South Wales should win this bout sixteen. I think they've got so much improvement and they think they'll do it.
Speaker 1: I think the Blues if they get off to a good start. It's been so poured in the last three games. Twenty points behind in the last three games. I just can't wake that one out. But if they can get off to a wood start, which I think they will, I think they could win by eight to ten points and clench the series.
Speaker 5: Let's move on to NRL the shot clot.
Speaker 1: Drama over there in Auckland on the weekend. You're all over this story for Tima, run us through what happened, run us through what you think might happen. In terms of any post game action from the NRL.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm as much across it as the NROL was yesterday when I spoke to them, and they were still looking at it, so it is for those that don't know, it's all a little bit confusing. So Chanel Harris Tavita was lining up for a goal line dropout. Apparently at that time there was an avertism on the big screen and so he couldn't see the shot clock. He says to Jared Sudden, how much time I ever got to left to go? I can't see it. Jerard Sudden says five seconds. On the Sky Sports broadcast, there was a shot clock that showed. As Sudden was saying five seconds, the clock showed two seconds. So Harris Tavita goes to kick it. The shot clock goes off. He hasn't got his kick away and it's a penalty, and he says to him, mate, mate, you told me five seconds. I thought I still had three seconds. I couldn't see it. He says, that's not my Suten said, it's not my problem. The timer is a timer.
Speaker 2: So the thing with that is, so the.
Speaker 3: NRL controls the scoring systems and the clocks, they do not control what is shown on the big screen. So I feel like it was a perfect storm right, the shot clock should have been on the big screen. Jared Sudden probably who knows what he was getting, what feed he was getting in his ear, saying five seconds when he only had two seconds. But it's also on Harris Tavita, he's got twenty five seconds to make sure that he's getting the kick away. You know, I don't think you know, you know, if you compare someone like Nathan Cleary, I don't think Nathan Cleary has ever given away a time violations, So you know, there has to also be an bonus on the player whose responsibility is to get the kick away. Get the kick away.
Speaker 1: So based on that, we've got three people here who could throw their hands up and say it was my fault. It should have been on the big screen. That's a Warriorus problem. I don't think Suton should have said five seconds if he wasn't sure. And as Fatima said, Devida should have ye taken the kick well and truly.
Speaker 5: Before that moment where it was just so tight.
Speaker 4: Well, I think okay, so, and I think Andrew Webster even went off in the press up, which he never does, like he's so respectful to the referees. He's incredibly diplomatic. The fact that he was so frustrated about it made me look into it more. Going Jesus, if we'bb be saying something, then something must have really gone wrong. It's pretty poor formed from something to say that it's not his. I can view generously that as like he's got so much to manage, he's not managing.
Speaker 5: That's not on him.
Speaker 2: But I think it actually reflects why the Warrior is lot.
Speaker 4: So some fans say they lost because of those couple of decisions and there were penalties given away. No, they lost because it actually just perfectly. There was a perfect thread for the Warriors game, and it's that they were too slow. They were too slow with the shot clock, they were too slow with that field goal moment, and they allowed the game to get away from them. They were too slow in getting to Trindley, and then they had that They actually had the opportunity to win twice in the last ten minutes and they blew both opportunities. So it's a good talking point and it's absolutely needs to be improved. This is the premium competition in Australia. We can't be having that kind of mistake. But it's not the reason the Warriors lost. They were they lost because they were too slow and.
Speaker 3: They also gave away a second time violation too at the scrum.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so it's just atten detail.
Speaker 2: But that's what I mean.
Speaker 3: It's like with the Harris Tavita kick. Its attention to detail. Like the best halfbacks have that attention to detail. So look at I think, Yeah, Andrew Webster's pretty cool, come and collected, and he did call the whole process unprofessional. That you know, it's also unprofessional for the Warriors to be showing an ad when the big screen should have a shot clock on it. But I also think there should be a visible clock on the ground, especially for scrums and for golung dropouts, like you said, in the level of professionalism that we're in at the moment, that should be taken away at least from the clubs and it should be something that aner El's controlling.
Speaker 1: Let's move back to Australia and hobo we go north of the border. The Broncos another abysmal showing this round. I've said a couple of weeks ago there gone clearly there's no reason to change that now. In fact, it's only getting worse. And when you break it all down, Sopie. I'm starting to think now it's been quite an insipid Premiership defense.
Speaker 4: It's definitely been terrible. As the season's gone on, it's gotten worse. I think there was a terrible start, but you could excuse that for a few reasons. Then there was the major disruption of losing an assistant coach. Then there was a three match winning streak and Haas and then the Payinhause news.
Speaker 5: Is World Club challenge to flit. It was sort of like it was doomed for the beginning.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's like, okay, that was difficult. But then I don't understand how to explain the form of the players in the past six to eight weeks, Like none of their stars are really performing. I know they've had pain hearts out as well, so you can make all these excuses, but at the end of the day, they just haven't been performing. And I do think there's something to be said about the inconsistency and instability of their spine. I think at one point, and someone might fact check me on this, but there was duffy Man, Reynolds and Hunt on the field. So that's four players who really should be fulfill filling two positions. It feels like they just haven't nailed their spine, and I think that's part of the reason that they've suffered such bad form.
Speaker 1: I think, to be fair, they've had a lot of injuries. Yeah, but that side against saus On the weekend wasn't that bad and they capitulated and for a side that we expect so much of, that pretty much summed up their season to me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there was no hunger and there was no desire.
Speaker 3: Well that's the thing, you know. And also there were really sort of glaring moments of a real lack of effort there. You know, there was the first half and Adam Reynolds makes makes the break. It's eight minutes in. There should be fresh legs. He's you know, he was seventy meters break. I think about the fifty to sixty meter mark. He's looking behind him, where's my support? And like Jesse Arthur's is barely close enough to be able to take a pass that Laki Hubner, you know, the rabbit O's forward takes him down. And then when Jesse Arthur's actually you know, is forced to play the board. Damnihalf he passed it to the ground because his teammates, you know, aren't there, so you're thinking, like what is going on? And then of course there was the Ben Hunts Parker. Ben Hunts passed since Preston Ricky's back, I think it was, And yeah, Preston Ricky had just made a tackle on a big guy as well and he was getting back into the line, but he just, you know, what was he doing.
Speaker 2: And not only that, but the.
Speaker 3: Players around Preston Ricky at the time looked like they had no idea who Ben Hunt was going to pass to anyway, So yeah's it just they look a shadow of the team that went on their premiership run last year year. And you're right, Boulog, Yes, they do have a lot of players out injured, they have a couple of players in origin, but they still have a good enough team, or at least should have a good enough culture that when like, as a premiership powerhouse, if that's what you want to be, you should have a good enough culture that when your stars are out or when you're missing a couple of players, that the next man stands up and plays with effort.
Speaker 4: Their scrutiny, though, is the result of their poor form line, right, So the rooster has also got flogged, but no one's talking about Oh geez, the Rooster has played terribly. It's because they it's on the back of poor form and their premiership defenders, so they are worthy of the scrutiny. But it's also like, yeah, they did have seven stars out, but that was amateur our and they were never going to get up against Souths with what was at stake for Souths and what they were being motivated by. But it really is puzzling at how little effort they're putting in to make to do challenge teams.
Speaker 1: Let's stay in Brisbane, but let's go the reverse and are positive The Dolt yes, quickly becoming the most favorite team.
Speaker 5: I love to watch each and every week.
Speaker 1: They're full of speed, flamboyants, they play expands if they play up all the old cliches, but they are.
Speaker 5: Fun to watch. Are they are smoky for this year's premiership?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: I think they're definitely. Let's be honest, guys, this is Penrith's world and we're all living in it. But if there's someone that's going to challenge that, Dolphins definitely, if they get into the top four, they absolutely can because as much as They're playing enterprising, attacking, exciting football. Their defense has been phenomenal as well. So they've turned around whatever wasn't working, because they were looking really inconsistent and poor in the start of the season.
Speaker 2: But I think they're now. Is it six straight wins, that's an unbelievable form line.
Speaker 4: That's the most formed team in the comp outside of Penrith like they are playing really great footy Katoa's back and form. I think it also shows that Ezy Katoa is a champion player, because I'll be honest, he sucked to start the season, dumb eras was getting overwhelmed, was too slow with the ball. But he's a champion so he's kind of followed in the footsteps of Nathan Cleary and worked out his game, worked out how to lead his team around the park. And you've seen the proof in the pudding. The team are getting around him, the team are running hard, they're defending brilliantly. Their fitness there was through the roof good on the Dolphins. This is awesome story. I want him in the top four.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what, if they made the finals, and we think that they will, it might have been top four as you say, Sophie, they're a side that you wouldn't want to play in the finals because you'd be worried that if they turn up ready to go, they could blow you.
Speaker 5: Off the park.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: For me, they feel a bit like the Canberraiders last year. You know, they've got so much strike across the park. Like you said, they can turn it on from whenever. You know, guys like Kirby have been in great form all year.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 3: Jermaina Saco might be out for a couple of weeks with a finger dislocation, which will be a huge loss of them because obviously he's there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he plays like a second full back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been a cup shitter as well. But no, I love everything that they're doing and I don't know, I think they're a genuine chance of a top four spot if they keep going like they're going. So Yeah, Like I agree with Sopie, I think it's it's Penrith's Premiership to But if there's somebody that isn't the Warriors that can challenge Penrith, it might be the Dolphins.
Speaker 5: And West Tigers.
Speaker 1: Let's switch our attention to Like Art Oval on Sunday, it was a wonderful atmosphere it always is at Like Art.
Speaker 5: The hill was packed. We love the eighth wonder of the world.
Speaker 1: But of course it was a little bit more to play for because it's closing down and we won't be back at Leichhardt for I think.
Speaker 5: Up to two years.
Speaker 1: Ye so, but look as sad as that is, it does mean we're staying there long term with the renovations going on. So ipe, what did you make of the atmosphere.
Speaker 5: At the game? And we're a bit sad that we won't see the great ground for a couple of years.
Speaker 4: The West Tigers fans are awesome, mate, because they've suffered so much over so many years. Who has had a worse trot than a West Tigers fan and they still, especially after their team delivered the most embarrassing performance of the season last week, they've turned out in full force that the joint is rocking. They're backing their boys. The boys go up early and you're like, okay, cool, West Tigers are back at Like Art. They're going to get it sorted. And then the tragedy that unfolds as they low that lead and go down at halftime. I think they were up twelve down twenty four to twelve. Again, who would be a West Tigers fan? So good on the West Tiger's friends, they're back in the boys and he can't to know that that helped them lift to go and get that win on the West Tigers. I think it's really great that Jerome Lewie did step up. I think there was rightful scrutiny in questioning about his leadership and what he's delivering for the club. But I do think he's a champion player and he definitely was one of their best players on ground on Sunday Sunday.
Speaker 3: Right no Sunday.
Speaker 1: Sunday, Leui had been questioned and as Sophie says, I think rightly so. Since he'd signed with P and G, the form had dipped a bit. But yesterday his performance was emphatic.
Speaker 3: It absolutely was And as I wrote today, he needs to play like a guy with a chip on his shoulder every single week because he might deny hurt. But that's exactly how he played. He took the first hit up, he was physical, he was in the Titans face. You know, it might have been his first try.
Speaker 2: You can see him.
Speaker 3: He put his hand up for he wanted the ball and there was none of that fancy footwork. He just barreled through three Titans defenders. And you know it's hard for Jerome because he's won four straight Premierships right like he should be a player that should have nothing left to prove because you know what he achieved at Penrath. Very few NRL players who come after him are going to be able to achieve that. But the reality is he was brought to the Tigers as this guy who was the changing of the guard, who was going to lift them off the bottom of the table. Not him himself, but like his presence, his ability to attract other players there, and if he leaves the Tigers without them not being in a final series, I feel like I'm not that it taints his legacy, but he leaves with a.
Speaker 4: Little bit though, because he has claimed that I'm going to bring success to this club and turn the culture around, and I think it's I want to be measured here. He has done amazing work at helping change the atmosphere and the ambition of the West Tigers.
Speaker 2: But he's got to get them to the finals, I think.
Speaker 4: And I like the idea of him playing with a chip on his shoulder because he's best when he's a pest. Yeah right, He's best when he's aggravating and annoying the opposition and actually causing problems, and he did that in space.
Speaker 3: It was awesome to and after that last try he had the little, you know, be quiet gesture, so you could tell, like you know, the outside noise even though he is this champion player with four premierships, that it was beginning to get to him. So there was actually a funny moment postmatch where he was doing an interview on Fox League and Luke Keary was on the Sunday Footay show and Lukeary just did not miss him, you know, the week before I get this game, saying he's done nothing. You know, they brought him there for the rest of it.
Speaker 2: But he owned up.
Speaker 3: He goes, you know, last week's performance against Penrith, you know, not a blight on our leadership, but sort of reflects our leadership. And I'm a leader and I have to step up for the boys. So look, he's a class ack Jerome like you could. The criticism was fair, but for the Tigers to do anything, it is true they need him and they need dam Douey as well.
Speaker 4: I think they need to, but they need to beat teams that aren't the top, and it's the same with them. Bulldogs get a win and they tell everyone to be quiet. You've got to beat great teams consistently. So I still think he's got more to prove, but I'm with you.
Speaker 5: I loved it.
Speaker 3: But they're a confidence team, right, so they'll get heaps of confidence out of absolute