Speaker 1: Oh hello, welcome to healthy ishue your daily podcast from Body and Soul. I am your host of Felicity Harley. Now, are you into biohacking or do you watch with amusement those tech billionaires doing bizarre things to boost their longevity. Well, today we're going to help you buy a hack at home. Yes, our guest is going to make it accessible for all of us, whatever your budget. I'm joining the studio by buyer, hacker and nutritionist Camilla Thompson. She's going to discuss the lucy world of biohacking and how you can hack your health on a budget. Now, if you do like what you hear from Camilla, I know you will listening to Extra Healthy Ish, where she shares how she beat mold toxicity with biohacks. You can grab our sister podcast, Extra Healthy Ish wherever you get your podcasts. Camilla, Welcome to health Ish.
Speaker 2: Thank you, it's lovely to be here.
Speaker 1: You are radiating good health.
Speaker 2: Well I should I should do in the job that I'm in there. Yeah, tell us a bit about that.
Speaker 1: You're a biohacking coach. What do you do? What is biohacking? Fill us in?
Speaker 2: Okay, So biohacking is about taking control of your health, so it's hacking your biology and your environment to achieve better long term health outcomes. So really sort of looking at your health span and wanting that to equal your life span. So how many years are we going to be independent and healthy and strong and that's our health span, so really important to focus on that. Essentially, biohacking is just evidence based hacks that we can integrate into our lives to help us live well longer.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because you simplified in many ways, it's just about living a healthy, full life for as long as you can. But biohacking has a reputation that it's only something for tech billionaires or very rich people. So talk to us a bit about this and how the rest of us can incorporate it into our daily lives without dropping a bomb and going getting stem cell therapy and Bermuna or Mexico or tie or they do you know they're extreme biohackers, Yes, don't they?
Speaker 2: And look at has become elitists, I think, and that's that's something I think, particularly in the Australian media as well, there's been a real focus on the sort of the tech billionaires, millionaires that seem to have a lot of money and time on their hands, but also that connection to the technology, which can polarize just us everyday people who just want to find simple things to help us feel better. So I think I'm here to hopefully bridge that gap and bring some really simple, practical things that people can do that have a big impact for longevity.
Speaker 1: So really, I mean, it's semantics around the biohacking term, isn't it, because it really is just optimizing your health using science to optimize your health absolutely, yea, rather than doing these extreme things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or is that part of it as well? Look, it's it's many things, and it's it's very similar to epigenetics, so we're looking at how we can influence those genes and what we turn on and off, and how that is going to optimize our longevity and our health. So there there's a whole spectrum with biohacking. And obviously we've heard about the extremes. We've got the Brian Johnson who's the same age as his son now, which is bizarre and he's a very interesting character. You've got your Dave aspri who sort of sits in the middle he's also quite extreme, but very passionate about impacting and helping other people to achieve a good good health.
Speaker 1: Actually tell us a bit about Daves, but let's talk about him before we get your tips on how the rest of us can do it, because I've long followed him. I think since he's bulletproof coffee days, I mean that was probably over a decade ago where you could add butter to coffee to give you an extra boost, yeah, before exerciser in the morning.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, it's Look, I met Dave this year. I went to his biohacking conference in Dallas and it was a tenth annual one. So they've been doing this for ten years. Over the last sort of five months, it's been about six or seven by hacking conferences globally, so this is a huge movement. But Australia we're just sort of catching the wave at the moment and sort of yeah, we're not the early adopters when it comes to bio hacking, that's for sure. The US definitely got there before us. But Dave is a super interesting guy. He's very passionate about what he does. But yes, some of it is extreme, you know, I think he takes around one hundred and sixties plus supplements a day, which is a lot to do that, and you know it's like a serial bowl of supplements. But you know, he also you know what's controversial, though, is he eats such a good diet. And I'm really being a nutritionist and being a health coach for over ten years, the Foundation and the Pillars of Good Health is definitely nutrition. So I feel like, if you're eating a really good diet, you probably don't need to take that many supplements. Having said that, Dave is exposed to all these incredible, amazing new things on the market, so he's probably trying everything he can.
Speaker 1: But just tell us the most interesting thing about that conference or the most mind blowing thing that happened, because I would have loved to go in one of those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look was fascinating, and it was such an interesting audience of people. I was thinking be a lot of sort of bodybuilders and real fitness people, but it wasn't. It was lots of really everyday people, a lot of people with chronic health issues. So my whole journey into BIA hacking was through I have a chronic health condition from living in Mold, so Bia hacking has literally saved my life and I'm in great health and that is through everything that I've learned over the years on how to heal myself. So Dave has a very similar story. He lived in Mold and he used biohacking to get himself well. So there was lots of people with chronic health issues. There was dogs, there was kids, There was like a whole crew from Burning Man. It was an eclectic mix of people, that's for sure. Look, there were some amazing speakers. I think Joe Despenser was incredible. Peter Crone, doctor Will Cole, who's an absolute legend.
Speaker 1: Oh we've got him coming up in the post.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness. I love that man. He's fantastic. Hoping to bring him and Dave to Australia next year actually for a conference. And Gabby Bernstein, who was wonderful. But you know what was interesting there was a big focus on play and oxytocin and how that's one of the keys to longevity and obviously that doesn't cost anything. Yeah, So like, what are we doing in our lives as adults. We've become so serious, How are we integrating more play and love and sex and touch and fun and dancing and music and all those things that really help with longevity. So there were some many interesting science around that. Well that's good.
Speaker 1: You've just given us a good biohack there include more play in your life. What else can we do? I mean especially you know, so many of us are living on in a budget. You know, we're watching how much we spend. How can we bio hack in it? Well, how can we bring it the whole philosophy and ethos into our daily lives.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, I love to talk about biohacking on a budget because we are We've got a cost of living crisis. You know, we're all feeling the pinch. Mortgages have gone up, the cost of everything. Patrol's actually gone down recently, which is awesome. But yeah, so I've got some really great sort of signature hacks, which are all things that you can do that don't really cost much money. So my first one is my hashtag hydration hack. So hydration is so important. Most of us are guzzling lots of water all day, but we're not necessarily hydrating properly. So our bodies are at you, made up of water and salt, and so when we put a little bit of salt, and it has to be a specific type of salt, so Celtic sea salt or Himalayan. My preference is always Celtic sea salt. This helps our in our water. Yes, this helps ourselves to actually hydrate properly. So it's also got lots of amazing minerals and electrolytes that we need naturally. So I put a pinch of Celtic sea salt in my water bottle every time I fill it up. When I lived in Mold, I had severe dehydration because obviously mold lives off all of the moisture in your body. And I tried everything to try and hydrate and this was the one thing that really worked for me. And it's like ten bucks a lastly three months. Can you taste it?
Speaker 1: I've never done this, not really.
Speaker 2: You just do a bit of a pinch. I really recommend it. And with everything biohacking, it's about experimentation and bioindividuality and finding out what works for us. But yeah, just try something for a month. If you feel better, then keep going.
Speaker 1: Just give us another one.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I've got four. So there's high hashag hydration hack hashtag honey hack is a fantastic one, and Dave's talked a little bit about this too and the science behind it. But when we sleep at night, our brain uses the glycogen from our liver, so our brain's actually quite active. Even though we think we're knocked out, we're actually not. There's still a lot going on. So if we have a spoonful of honey, and again it comes back to the quality of the honey, manuca is preferable or raw unfiltered honey, This actually tricks the body and the brain into thinking that's its glycogen. So rather than using the liver from the glycogen, it uses the honey. So it means we can get a much deeper, RESTful sleep because the brain is using something else, not our body.
Speaker 1: So just before you go to bit, yeah, so you can before you clean your teeth, Yeah, before you gin your teeth.
Speaker 2: Oh, you can do it after dinner, Like there's no sort of set time, but just a spoonful of honey. There's so many other benefits as well. It's great for your digestion, your gut health. So even after dinner, a spoonful of honey to help you digest, which brings on reaching for those chocolates A long yes. And also it curbs that sweet that sweet tooth. But with everything it's equality, so it's important that we using decent honey. We can't just use the same with salt, not table salts. It's got to be decent quality. And that sort of digestion is another hack I've got as well. So just things like fresh rocket before you eat your food really helps to get those digestive juices going. Also, apple sided vinegar, which a lot of us are quite familiar with, helps with digestion. And things like digestive enzymes, probatics, probatics, not drinking too much water whilst we eat, because that can dilute some of our digestive juices.
Speaker 1: You need to put these all in a book.
Speaker 2: I am writing a book. There we go. It's going to be published in June next year. You heard it here first.
Speaker 1: There we go, Canilla, thank you for coming on healthy pleasure. Well, I might give the Celtic Sea salt water a go and see how I feel after I start drinking salty water. Well, at least see how it tastes, whether I can stomach it. But what a handy little hack we can all do in our day to buy a hack our way to better health. Anyway, I hope you did enjoy this chat with Camilla. Please tell us if you liked it. You can rate and review this episode or of course subscribe to this podcast. Make sure you are following Body and Soul on social media, jump online at bodyandsoul dot com dot you. Make sure you take a look at our print edition which is our new local Sunday paper. And of course thanks again for listening and stay Healthy is