Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Monday, May eighteen, twenty twenty six. If it walks like a death tax and quacks like a death tax, well, Anthony Albanezi says any suggestion he's bringing in death duties is a right wing misinformation campaign. But after questions from The Australian on Sunday, the Prime Minister walked back his position, saying future discretionary trusts that are set up to distribute inheritances will be taxed at a higher rate. It'll be years before the King versus Ben Robert Smith gets to court, and in the meantime, what should the media do today? I'm joined by Media Diary editor Steve Jackson to look at why nine's stan is refusing to take down its BRS documentary and how seven is surprising every one in the ratings. Jack O's here in just a moment. Steve Jackson is The Australian's Media Diary editor.
Speaker 2: Steve. In the early nineteen nineties, I had at home.
Speaker 1: A videotape copy of a show called Blue Murder. It was one of the most remarkable kind of crime stories.
Speaker 2: Was so well told.
Speaker 3: See you're starting off on the wrong foot. Mate, I don't help you. You helped me, and then we see what's left over conspiracy to supply. May Jesus spare me. You know you're looking at ten years. You're cold, You're no good to anybody.
Speaker 4: Richard Rocks brass alex Dimitriartes playing Roger.
Speaker 1: Rogerson Eddie Smith of the big characters in Sydney Crime when they were all still alive and out there committing crimes. Blue Murder was amazing, wasn't it?
Speaker 4: Well amazing for people who you said, Wales, perhaps in Queensland we didn't like. For us, it may as well have been Robin Hood in shild Forest. We didn't know any of the characters. I get if you're living in Sydney and you're seeing, Hey, that's Chipindale, that's where that happened. Unfortunately, if you were living in Sydney, you weren't supposed to be watching it, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, whoop, sorry about that.
Speaker 1: I was at no risk of being called up to be a jurymember in any of these trials, I must say, although I did cover some of Neddie Smith's trials and it was the kind of the end of the what some cops would think of as the glory days of New South Wales, when police could do whatever they wanted, when they gave green lights to criminals all the time, and one of them allegedly was Neddie Smith, this notorious standover man.
Speaker 2: But didn't I didn't let it infect my reporting, Jacko well.
Speaker 4: But there were concerns and we saw while that two part dramatization was rolled out across the country for audiences in nineteen ninety five, I think it was filmed in New South Wales.
Speaker 2: It actually was suppressed.
Speaker 4: There was an injunction against it because Neddie Smith, who was a under world figure, strong arm man, but he had appeals against his murder convictions going through the Supreme Court. So the New South Wales Supreme Court said, in New South Wales, we don't want it to impact his appeal process. So in New South Wales no one's allowed to watch it. So while people are watching it into state and presumably sending your family a VHS or beat a cassette tape of it. That was the reason for it. And we see this happening again now with the ben Robert Smith case. Is his supporters or some of his supporters, at least a crying Blue Murder going, well, hang on, there's stuff out there online now, in particular a Channel nine STAN subscriber documentary Ben Robert Smith The Truth on Trial, which very much says in it Ben Robert Smith is a war criminal. Yeah. I just looked across some my mates getting ripped up, so I was going to sit there and do not think. And you've watched it as well. I've watched quite a compelling documentary about the work that McKenzie and Chris Bases did to bring all the allegations against Ben Robert Smith to light and the ensuing defamation case. But at the end of it, it's like, very much we lost a hero and we found a war criminal.
Speaker 2: He shared stages with generals, with prime ministers. This guy's Father of the Year, a demi god.
Speaker 4: Now that he's been charged with criminal offenses for war crimes, should that be taken down similar or akin to Blue Murder.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Ben Robert Smith of course denies any wrongdoing and always has. He sued nine over the material that they published, including in this documentary, and lost. The judge in the federal court found on the balance of probabilities which is a very different standard of proof to the one that will be required in a criminal trial that he had committed war crimes. Now he's charged with five counts of war crime murder. Some of those are about supervising allegedly somebody else to commit a murder of an unarmed Afghan civilian when he was serving in the Afghan War. So that story of Ben Robert Smith has been incredibly well ventilated. Everybody in Australia, I think has an opinion. A lot of people are venting those opinions now on social media, and that's the difference now.
Speaker 2: Right, I could.
Speaker 1: Watch my Blue Murder video at home in nineteen ninety six and keep my opinions to myself.
Speaker 2: Nowadays I'd be putting them on TikTok.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I mean that's probably part of the argument. I know from speaking to my sources at ninth they are cognizant of this issue. They have had internal discussion should we take down the doco. They know that they'll probably be asked to or there will be some argument as to whether or not it might prejudice the trial at some point, So they're cognizant of this. They're aware it could be an issue, and they've decided no, we're going to keep it up. And they've told me officially on the record, no, it's going to remain there at least until they're forced to take it down. But I suppose it's this real question when criminal charges come in whether or not some of this material should be taken down. I personally say, there's a bit of a difference, right, And we saw it again, so it's not just Blue Murder. We saw and that was injunctive for six years while the appeal process was rolled out. But then in two thousand and eight we saw again Underbelly, which was great, probably one of the best Australian true crime series of all time. Melbourne Gang Lame was injunction in the Supreme Court of Victoria in two thousand and eight against it being shown in Victoria because there were still criminal charges being heard. As a genre lar year in that case didn't last six years. The injunction lasted a matter of months. Warded down episodes went to where they just they're already dealing with the Internet, realizing that if someone wants to go in search of this material, they will find it. With the Underbelly, of course, the judge hearing it, just as Betty King. I think it was said that one of her concerns was also the further mix of factor and fiction when stuff gets dramatized.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and of course Bloom Murder and Underbelly were fictionalized stories of real crimes. The Truth on Trial documentary is a documentary. It's real interviews with real people, including these two journals Chris Masters and Nick Mackenzie, who are in this documentary really explaining how they came to do this story and defending their journalism. It's almost as if they're not really trying to establish whether or not Ben Robert Smith is guilty of anything in the documentary.
Speaker 4: He's often said that this was about a couple of scandal mongering journalists digging up stuff that tortured the nation. That wasn't the truth of it at all.
Speaker 3: It actually came from other essays soldiers Comrade Ben Robert Smith.
Speaker 1: Their main purpose to me seems to be defending their journalism, saying that they came into this with an open mind. That Chris Masters was embedded with the sas in Afghanistan, the only journalist to be embedded with special forses, which is.
Speaker 4: Where we first, he first got the inkling that there was something doing here, so he.
Speaker 1: Wrote a book, but had heard all these rumors, brought in Nick mackenzie to help him stand them up or disprove them. And that's the point of it for them. It's that we weren't looking to conduct a trial of Ben Robert Smith by media. We were trying to establish the truth. The difficulty, if I think, for media organizations now, is that we are being held to a different standard than people on social media. So you see, judges can't try to suppress social media posting about their trials.
Speaker 2: While they're live with no luck whatsoever. Everybody ignores them.
Speaker 1: The judges sit in the court and say, just as a reminder everybody, you're not allowed to say anything about this trial.
Speaker 2: Well it's not happened in the mushroom trial.
Speaker 1: But the only people who actually get pinged are mainstream media operators who are saying something that the judges associates are able to take down and transcribe.
Speaker 2: It's the courts are hopelessly.
Speaker 1: Out of date in policing social media, and maybe it's actually they can't hold back that.
Speaker 2: Tight at all.
Speaker 4: Well, what surprised me about the Mushroom trial was because it was so omnipresent, captivated so many PEO people that we saw a lot of people even in mainstream media who usually didn't report on court stories, had tipped to Kyle Sandalands and Jackie o' henderson who all of a sudden were like, hey, let's talk about this case and Ethne giving debriefs on I did you believe what she was saying? I thought that she didn't quite And all of a sudden they're getting sort of like slaps on the risk and you can't do that. What are you talking about? That's our honest opinion. You go, yeah, but it's before the courts, and so it's surprising that we think and obviously a lot of people who watch this podcast or listen to this podcast, being readers of The Australian, will be across sub judacy, but we often forget there's a whole heap of people out there who use social media who who don't really get the difference of what you can and can't say.
Speaker 1: Nine has spent an absolutely vast amount of money on this case, defending this defamation case from bed and Robert Smith. They could have paid him to go away and taken down the stories even though they believed in them, because it was cheaper and easier.
Speaker 2: Media organizations do that all the time.
Speaker 4: They could have paid him a pittance of what they and then just gone all right, we won't We'll just leave that to the authorities.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they didn't do that.
Speaker 1: They feel obviously very strongly that they've been vindicated. But you know, this is at a time of shrinking media budgets in newsrooms.
Speaker 2: Nine is still.
Speaker 1: Trying to produce a news bulletin unbelievably high quality every night.
Speaker 2: It's a huge hit they've taken, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because you know, obviously there's a question mark as to whether or not they will ever get all that money back, and that's always a concern, and you know, moving forward, will media organizations always be up for that fight? And sometimes you think it's a very nineteen nineties naughty thing where you know, we've got editorial independence and where and we're going to do this. And you see places like the Australian Firm believers in you know, aggressively pursuing stories news corps. It's quite at the heart of their DNA. You see, nine historically has done that. Seven ten probably hasn't dipped their toe into that pool as much because they've traditionally chased a different audience. But ABC once again, and you just go in this day and age, do you you know, so you want to.
Speaker 2: Can you afford it?
Speaker 1: I mean it's all about ratings, which in the commercial media organizations is what gives you the revenue. Coming up a big surprise in the news ratings. So are nine going to be able to continue paying for this kind of thing? How are their ratings going? Oh?
Speaker 4: Well, it's interesting right because both free to air networks are saying our viewership is up, like, you know, more people watching free to air news than ever before. And I've got friends that make sure when they get home they turn on free to air.
Speaker 2: Yeah I do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Well I'm a loyal watcher of news bulletins. Yeah, watch it probably two to.
Speaker 2: Night two a night, yeah, which ones nine and seven.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love television journalism. I think it is the apex of our craft.
Speaker 4: Actually it's weird because when I moved from print at tabloids into television journalism, and you think I know how to write really tight, concise pars or lines of sentences, I know had to write really tight and concisely, and you get to television you go, oh, I had no idea, Like I thought I was being very short and thrifty with my words, and then you get there and some of the times they're not even full sentences. They have time to say.
Speaker 2: So it is lean.
Speaker 1: And economical and often quite beautiful writing in television, and you know, if they're doing it right, you don't notice that because you just have this sort of multimedia, fully sensory onslought of information. I think both nine and seven do a great job.
Speaker 4: And what we're seeing now, of course, is that it's probably in its most heated battle that it's been for years. Has been a lot of change at both seven and nine. So at seven we had a news director, a national news director by the name of Craig McPherson. Ten years unbeaten, he leaves. A newspaper editor comes in who thinks he knows television. There's a lot to learn, tells everyone, Hey, you know what, ratings don't matter anymore. They do matter.
Speaker 1: Met Lizza's just explaining that they matter because if you can tell an advertiser that their ad is going to be seen by a million people instead of nine hundred thousand people.
Speaker 2: You can charge them all for that.
Speaker 4: Ad well to be the number one news bullets and at six pm nationally. I think it's worth forty million dollars in premium advertising cross the years. So it matters in terms of revenue, but it also matters in terms of are you engaging with your audience. And at the moment we've got a new news director again, a lot of change. At seven, the newspaper guy's out and the TV guys come back in a guy who's loved television, Ray Kooka. They call him the Wolf.
Speaker 2: Because why do they call him the Wolf? Well, it's a character.
Speaker 4: From pulp fiction who they send in the clean up messes and he's the guy that cleans up all the messes, and this time he's cleaning up the mess of the ratings.
Speaker 2: Jimmy wrote, this is your ass sure is?
Speaker 4: I went to Wolf, I solve problems and look, everyone said it couldn't be done, and I will be the first to admit I wrote repeatedly it can't be done. They've lost too much ground. Nine is on the ascendency. They're going to be the arsenal of the Australian television News Premier League can't be beaten, and he's coming and war and behold. All of a sudden, everyone at nine's getting nervous, going, hey, we're losing weeks in Sydney, which is a rugby league town and where the rugby league network, Why seven beating us? And they're losing weeks in Melbourne and in Brisbane where they are almost unbeatable. Absolutely nine's got one of the best news directors in the country up there, Brendan Hawking. He's phenomenal, but he's starting to seed ground and all of a sudden, alarm bells are going off and going what's happening? And what it comes down to is speaking to a lot of news directors. I'd like to pass it off as my own genius knowledge, but I've been told is what they're really hitting is naming the locales. So when you're watching Channel nine News or Channel seven News and you're talking about say Sydney, don't say south West Sydney, tell on the suburb, tell on the street. So you feel like you're part of there, because no one in Southwest Sydney says I come from south West Sydney, as same in Brisbane, no one goes, I come from Brisbane's in a west like they talk in suburbs. I'm from Tuwong, I'm not from the Inner West. And so it's all about getting down to a local level and actually being part of your audience and not some crowd that's sitting in the city or North Sydney or up Mount Couther or you know, wherever you are talking to people about their suburb. Be part of that community. And you know, it's all about hitting those little beats. So we're seeing seven doing that a lot better on the ascendency, and what we're going to see is a lot of pain at nine as they try to revolutionize and get back to where they were by you know, going how are we missing? How are we stuffing this up? A year ago, Seven weren't even in the game. Now they're not only in the game, they're winning. So there's going to be a lot of concerns going on over there and a lot of soul searching.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to read all about it in the diary. Thanks Jacko, thank you so much for having me. Unclaire.
Speaker 1: Steve Jackson's Diary is live right now and every Monday at The Australian dot com, dot au,