Speaker 1: Late Welcome to the late Base.
Speaker 2: Well, good evening, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 3: I'm James Macpherson with Liz Storer and Joe Hildebrand. Coming up a Victorian golfer donz a wig and address in order to claim discounted fees for women.
Speaker 2: Will show you how that goes a little later. Plus, when we.
Speaker 3: Look at the papers, a new report showing carbon offset credits rarely do much good at all and Gold Coast unit owners are upset because they're going to be taxed according to their view. All of that when we look at the papers. But first, the behavior of New South Wales politicians is evidently so bad they'll be forced to undergo anti bullying and anti harassment training.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: The mandated training comes after a report found that a quarter of parliamentary staff had expressed had experienced bullying and harassment at work. The government's already spent a million dollars on consultants and training to try to change workplace behavior, and this new training course is part of fifteen million dollars they're investing over the next four years to try to get New South Wales parliamentarians and their staff to behave better that they'd spend that much money on an economics course or something like that.
Speaker 2: But Joe and Liz, this raises questions for me.
Speaker 3: Firstly, are parliamentarians behaving that badly that we need to spend fifteen million dollars.
Speaker 2: To improve their conduct?
Speaker 3: And if it is that bad, then is a training course really going to change things? But I've got one more question about this story. A lot of anti bullying is often just another form of bullying in disguise. And I do note that MPs can't actually be forced to do this training because what are they going to do?
Speaker 2: Tell them they're out.
Speaker 3: They've been elected by voters. But the New South Wales Parliament have said they will monitor attendance and they will note non compliance, which Liz sounds to me kind of like bullying.
Speaker 1: Well, last question is who the heck are these people. We've elected them to make very important decisions on behalf of us, on behalf of the entire state of New South Wales and they can't even get it together at work, if the Broaderick Report is to be believed. And that's why they're taking these measures, because back in twenty twenty.
Speaker 5: Two, the Broaderick Report was very damning.
Speaker 1: Like you say, over record on the people who were anonymously asked for feedback said, yes, I've experienced bullying and harassment and sexism is far more commonplace here than we'd like it to be. So firstly, this seems to be quite a late reaction. I mean, last year they introduced the Respected Work program, only twenty three out of the ninety three MPs have attended their Respect at Work indoctrination. And now we're being told that this course is mandatory, but they have no way of forcing anyone to attend it. So this just seems like a tick the box. We must be seen to address this problem. And of course we all know that you know, an hour an hour and a half course it can and will change someone's character. If they didn't know that this behavior was inappropriate previously, they will once they sat through this course. That's been the only problem. They just didn't know it was wrong. The course will tell.
Speaker 5: Them it's wrong, and then I'm sure they'll cut it out.
Speaker 1: And that is how many million dollars fifteen million dollars over the next four years of our taxpayer dollar well spent, like we don't pay them enough to be abject failures. Now we've got to pay out another fifteen million more just to be like, can you behave yourself?
Speaker 4: Then they respectful failures.
Speaker 3: If the course is that, If the course is that good, they should run it in Gaza.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: The thing is, if you don't actually know that bullying is bad, or you don't know that sexual harassment is bad, it is very unlike that of course is going to do anything. They should just say look if you get if you get busted sexually harassing someone, we're leaking it to the Daily Telegraph. Every MP would say right, never touching anyone ever again, or the.
Speaker 1: Daily Telegraph would be very busy.
Speaker 4: But there's a couple of things we are on the lookout for. It an'ty worry.
Speaker 6: I once, in a much much older incarnation of the New South VAL's government, I once figured out that you were twice as likely to be a sex abuser if you're in the New South Wales government cabinet that you were in the general community. But that was a particular low point for a former government.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 4: But there's two things.
Speaker 6: I mean, one is it depends when you're looking at the prevalence of something like this, it depends on two things. One is the number of people who are actually doing it and how often they're doing it. The other is, of course how sensitive the respondents toy survey are. So if you define something broadly enough, and there was a previous survey that was done and a very you know, you know, earnest and well intentioned survey, and I know the person who did it. But like sexual harassment university and on campus, right, And it turns out that this also included commuting on the way to campus, and that examples of unwelcome behavior which was counter as sexual harassment was looking for someone looking at someone too long, staring at something too long on a train, so you could be on your train on the way to UNI, so a complete stranger who's not going to UNI stares at you and you don't like it, and then that gets counted as an incident of sexual harassment on campus or whatever.
Speaker 4: So there's that. So this brings us to the ABC.
Speaker 6: The ABC, if we are to be told, I think Paul raised it in the show before Ours, is a hotbed of racism and sexual harassment. Now I wait to believe that the ABC, of all organizations, is a place where racism and sexual harassment runs rampant or as an organization whose employees would be highly highly attuned to the slightest suggestion of sexual harassment racism, so that becomes overrepresented. The other thing with this thing, as I think you alluded to before, it means if you have a framework like this, it means it can very very quickly be weaponized to get rid of your political enemies. And guess which building has more political enemies all under the same roof than anywhere else in the entire state. That's right, it's Parliament House. And so again, you know someone I know very well, waltz Accord, a very senior figure in the Labor Party who was basically instrumental in getting Chris Mins elected to the leadership of the Parliamentary Party and winning the last election. I'm very little doubt in my mind that had that not happened, we would still be a Liberal state government in Macquarie Street. And he had an allegation of bullying leveled against him and was basically forced to fall on his sword or chose to so it didn't means chances I'm very noble, and that basically amounted to him I think shouting at a former leader's staff member and of course, the former leader being the one who he'd replaced with Chris min So maybe it was absolutely horrific, or maybe it was just a bit of payback.
Speaker 3: Well to a couple of your points, some of those who reported they'd experienced harassment and bullying, they also reported they experienced and I don't know what this means live everyday sexism as opposed to every other day sexism.
Speaker 5: Not really sure.
Speaker 3: And of the twenty three that did the respect for Work course that you alluded to earlier, how many of you reckon? How many of those do you think were people that weren't showing respect? Or did they do the course on respect because they are respectful people.
Speaker 2: I should actually do this course.
Speaker 5: A night certificate. I framed it the people's.
Speaker 2: Cleeding for the people that don't do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Indeed to the UK now where a group called Free Speech Brighton, which is a free speech group in Brighton, as their name suggests, have been thrown our of a pub.
Speaker 5: Here's the scene.
Speaker 1: They have hired a back room in this pub in order to hold one of their meetings. They bring along a little microphone and a little speaker.
Speaker 5: They're mining their own business. They're in the back room.
Speaker 1: Three speeches are planned and the first lady gets up speaks for fifteen minutes. She's a retired teacher in her fifties, and she's talking about the fact that I don't think gender ideology, this idea that you can be one thing one day and another thing the other day.
Speaker 5: Should be taught to school children. She also asserted the argument that parents should.
Speaker 1: Be able to ask what their children are being taught in sex education and asked to be availed of the materials that are.
Speaker 5: Being given to their children.
Speaker 1: Well, then it was question and answer time when suddenly five security guards entered the room and this pandemonium ensued.
Speaker 4: Bring doesn't wants to complain from the management.
Speaker 5: Anyone refusing is now trespassing. Unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Keep in mind these are perfectly legal beliefs. In fact, the former UK government during their tenure published a paper saying that schools shouldn't be teaching any kind of controversial gender theory to school children. So did this manager of the pub have a leg to stand on legally?
Speaker 5: We're told, and indeed.
Speaker 1: This free speech group has been told bi legal experts. I believe they will be pursuing what's What's happened in the courts that these guys don't have a leg to stand on, that this is exactly the same as ejecting someone from your parb or restaurant or whatever else you own because you don't like the color of someone's skin. These guys were literally ousted out of the pub by the way they refuse to leave until they'd finished their bevies.
Speaker 5: How English can you get?
Speaker 1: And they told the security guards to tell management that the next two speakers were on entirely unrelated topics. Note still thrown out onto the street for the crime of wanting.
Speaker 5: To protect young people from what everyone.
Speaker 1: Who knows the stats on this believes to be very much a social contagion, given the numbers, the burgeoning numbers of LGBTIQ people, especially in the younger age groups in the UK.
Speaker 3: I'm just wondering when they booked the room, do you think they booked it under the name free speech Brighton, and so that the pub owner those this is a group committed to free speech, I'm about to evict them. I actually am sympathetic to the rights of people to have the customers that they choose, but if you're going to have discrimination laws they've got to apply equally. Could you imagine the outrage if a group were in the back room talking about the need for gay rights and they were evicted by a Christian publican.
Speaker 6: Imagine a pub that said no gay people allowed. Yeah, indeed, sorry, it's a private premises. We have the right to evict you by because we don't like what you are, what you think, or what you say.
Speaker 3: So these people are not only expressing perfectly legitimate views, but as you said, Liz, these were views that only a short time ago were being espoused by the UK.
Speaker 4: Gunn.
Speaker 6: I think it's irrelevant whether the views are legitimate or backed up by evidence or whatever. The question is, okay, are they are they legally able to be held, not where they're right or not, but are they illegal?
Speaker 4: So you know, you can't book a back room and say all right, everybody kill all the Jews, right, that doesn't work.
Speaker 6: But you know, if you're actually say well, I'm not sure this isn't right for schools, think they could be on pretty flimsy, flimsy ground. I think it would be difficult, certainly very difficult to do that in Australia. I would have thought if our being disruptive or rowdy, you know, before they had their beloved microphone stand taken away by the boutside.
Speaker 4: They didn't look like they had, but it didn't seem so that.
Speaker 6: I mean, they looked like that, you know, they'd struggled to be rowdy with all the rheumatoid arth rights going around. So I thought, I thought this was really a lesson in what not to do in terms of good solid brad management. And the fact even the fact that the whole, the whole sort of fig leaf of respectability. Oh there's been a complaint we have too from or the manager.
Speaker 4: So the manager complained to himself.
Speaker 6: I did the manager, like Lodger, go to their website and you know, I mean.
Speaker 4: He had to be here the already.
Speaker 6: Clearly the management sort of thought I'd better dress this up as something it's not, and the security guards, unfortunately, were The.
Speaker 3: Other thing I like about this story is committed free speech and all right, we won't finish our speeches, but we will finish our beers.
Speaker 4: Committed to free beer, go above and beyond.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 6: So the other thing that happened in the UK is that Trafalgar Square has quote unquote gone and woke as a fourth plinth was taken over by artwork aiming to quote unite the trans community around the world. I have to tell you, I do not understand anything about this story. I do not understand why there is a plinth that is going to unite the trans community and how that is actually going to work. How is it going to unite the transmitnion around the world. But it's just sitting there like a box in Trafalgar Square.
Speaker 5: An ugly boss.
Speaker 1: Well, this is objectively.
Speaker 6: Serious building in the Rocks in Sydney. It looks like some kind of weird you know, they're militarian stalinists.
Speaker 3: That there's hundreds of masks taken from transgendered people, half of them from London and the other half from Mexico.
Speaker 4: I do not understand. But why I just London in Mexico.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Either, except that it's all in preparation for what do they call it, It's Transgender Day of Remembrance, which is coming up where people remember those who have been killed because of being transgendered. That The trouble, however, is that, according to Statistica, which is a online platform that collates data from around the world in all manner, of subjects. There was one person transgendered who was murdered in the UK in twenty twenty three. There were fifty two transgendered people murdered in Mexico in twenty twenty three. So I think part of it is, you go, if you're going to have a transgender day of remembrance, but only one person is to be remembered, I need to combine it with something else to make it a little bit of a bigger issue.
Speaker 6: I think, Like again, it just seemed very strange where people and it's a bit like again, it's kind of like a sort of Quiers of Palestine, you know, it's kind of like protesting against the inj in Mexico in the place that is the least unjust compared to the place where it's actually happened the most.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: I know, it might be more dangerous to protest, but again.
Speaker 6: Why why are you sort of telling Londoners about this terrible thing?
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 6: In fact, surely the true target should be Armlow, the president of Mexico.
Speaker 3: Well, total numbers of transgender people killed in twenty twenty three, according to Forbes magazine, was three hundred and twenty. At three hundred and twenty worldwide. One was murdered in the UK, which would make the UK one of the safest places on earth for transgendered people. The artwork was put together by a transgendered Mexican artist to celebrate a transgender sex worker who was or not celebrate to memorialize a transgender sex worker who was murdered in Mexico almost ten years ago. So that's the display and it's designed to disintegrate. Interestingly enough, the masks are specifically designed so over the month or so that they're on display, it's going.
Speaker 5: To be bits flying around trafalgus.
Speaker 3: And that kind of makes the point of, you know, transgendered rights being trampled on and being destroyed.
Speaker 6: So that was going to say this was a prefat story, So there's actually.
Speaker 2: What are those marks?
Speaker 5: Because if there's a mod.
Speaker 1: And they're going to be defuriating and people are going to be breathing it in in Trafalgar Square, you really know my soap box. The former Plint was tipping the hat to the history of colonialism in Africa. So I'm getting the vibe from whoever gets to decide which next Plint is going to be unveiled in Trafalgar Square. It's always going to be virtue signaling and also just reminding the public, not not just people in London, because people come from all around the world world to check out Trafalgar Square, but reminding them all of we are well aware of our colonialist pass and we are well aware of the LGBTQ, and we are well aware who knows what next years will be the.
Speaker 3: Only reason they're able to do this is because when these prints were first put in Trafalgar Square, three of them have statues attached to the pedestals, but the.
Speaker 2: Fourth one actually ran out of money.
Speaker 3: It was meant to be a horse celebrating William the Fourth but they ran out of money, and so for one hundred and fifty years it just sat vacant. And then they decided, let's have a rolling sort of display.
Speaker 2: People.
Speaker 6: It's like an answer to our response to all the big giants sort of colonialists or imperialists sort of. So I don't mind that at all. I don't even really mind this thing. It just it just seems weird. Well, so often the outrage is misdirected.
Speaker 1: Oh incredibly, and so many of the MPs had argued that this plint should be dedicated to Queen Elizabeth because that it was a really prominent space, obviously a very beloved monarch in England. But nope, the transmasks that are going to deteriorate.
Speaker 6: Dedicated to Harry and Meghan for all their services to spotify.
Speaker 2: You know what they should have in retrospect.
Speaker 4: Leave it like it is.
Speaker 3: I really like the transgender But talking about people being outraged over silly things, people in Mossman are outraged over plans to build a multi story mansion on a vacant block of harbourside land. Now the issue with this block of land is there's no access from the road, so to get the building materials on site is quite problematic. Now, the owners had negotiated with counsel about using cranes, but for some reason the council said no, we don't want cranes anywhere near this. So the owners said, well, we are absolutely committed to building our dream home. We will get people to bring in all of the building materials by hand. Well, this is absolutely annoyed local neighbors who say it's going to disrupt their neighborhood. People would be traveling on public land to bring through the materials but one local resident, Peter Ritchie, he called it ridiculous and ludicrous.
Speaker 2: He told local media the idea that.
Speaker 3: Building materials for a four story structure can be delivered to this site by hand is ludicrous in the extreme. This is an extremely difficult site to access and build upon due to its steepness and lack of direct street access. That's why it hasn't been attempted in over one hundred and twenty five years. Well, I'm just wondering if Peter Richie's heard of, you know, the Pyramids or the Great Wall of China. This is amazing that they're going to build this home. You can see the pictures on your screen. They're going to build that and do so by bringing all of the material required by hand.
Speaker 2: I think they should be applauded.
Speaker 6: I reckon I could do it, not opposed. I'm sure they could do it brick by brick like this.
Speaker 1: That's literally what they're suggesting to do a major architectural feet But they're up for it, so why not let them do it. Besides, they had planned end to have a crane delivered so that the crane could just swing on down bring the materials needed to the site.
Speaker 5: The council advised, we're not going to give you the thumbs up for that.
Speaker 1: So now these guys are like, well, on the advice of counsel, who's probably going to turn them down anyway, Because for those of you who don't live in New South Wales, the whole point of living in Mossman is to separate yourselves from the great unwashed.
Speaker 5: They hate all new development.
Speaker 1: In fact, the last time we were discussing was the mayor over there was saying, remember when they had their.
Speaker 4: Housing I was about to bring that up.
Speaker 6: Bossman has been so compared to say Blacktown, right, which is a great middle grade westerns They had a housing target of more than twenty thousand new homes over the next five years.
Speaker 4: They are currently beating that target.
Speaker 6: Mosso in black Town had a housing target of just one hundred, one hundred new.
Speaker 2: Homes a year, and how were they going?
Speaker 6: And last year I believe they built sixteen And so they cannot even they cannot even do the most basic stuff to actually get people houses, even their own. Remember, and yet somehow this thing has snuck through. They say, oh yeah, this side looks all right, this fantastic, It is just amazing. Not only do they block houses Mossman. There was a complaint about children playing in the backyard from one Mossman resident. They complained and tried to get a bowls club shut down because it was too loud on afternoons where they had the kids jumping castle.
Speaker 4: They also took assue with a trivia night and.
Speaker 6: Best of all, in the middle of COVID they actually objected to, residents objected to, and the council shut it down. Mossman's only COVID testing clinic, only mobile type.
Speaker 4: What did they act to that?
Speaker 6: We would rather die, We would rather die than have beautiful quiet.
Speaker 2: What was the objective?
Speaker 4: Too much traffic?
Speaker 1: Traffic, So for all the rest of the plans not here in Mossman.
Speaker 3: We do not really but if someone in the home, they probably would have dubbed on them.
Speaker 4: Right, absolutely, yeah, yeah, that would we. Well, the.
Speaker 6: Neighbors who complained about the children playing in the backyard, that was during lockdowns. So they were complaining about the lockdowns, complaining about the testing, complaining about the children on both the jumping castle and in the backyard, and shut down the testing center. And now they have built just sixteen out of one hundred annual housing new housing development targets compared to blacktowns more than four thousand over the same period.
Speaker 4: And this is the house that they reckon. Is okay, they have much.
Speaker 5: To worry about. There is no way any council who wants.
Speaker 1: To be re elected in Bosman is going to give the green ticks.
Speaker 2: It's the other thing with this.
Speaker 3: This is not going to help alleviate the housing crisis because how many years do you think it's going to take them just to get all the building material on site?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Well, it's also not going to alleviate the housing crisis because it's Batsman.
Speaker 5: Yes, sing will.
Speaker 1: Sell for god knows how many millions if and when it's ever completed, and I don't imagine that it would be housing more than a handful of people anyway. Moving on to Catholic school formals, there's been a staush as a group of Catholic schools have.
Speaker 5: Decided that you can no longer bring a date to your formal.
Speaker 1: Now they're being accused of making this move due to one student in one of these Catholic schools bringing along her lesbian date. So they said, oh well, let's put our foot down at least that's what they're being accused of being.
Speaker 5: That's why they've made this move. They deny this, they say.
Speaker 1: As for the exclusional of external partners at end of school celebrations, many of the archdiocese co ed schools never allowed for them in the first place, the spokesman said, and historically has only been allowed to bring students from within their communities.
Speaker 5: Well, it does seem in third there.
Speaker 1: Sydney Catholic Schools spokesperson then went on to talk about this is a duty of care issue, which is also why we've.
Speaker 5: Banned alcohol as a school system.
Speaker 1: We have a duty of care to our staff and students at any school event. The prohibition of alcohol at school events is consistent with our code of conduct. The focus of these events is on celebration of our students, their school lives, friendships and achievements. We do not believe that alcohol is a necessary part of any school event or sell abration. I say hats off to the Catholics, even if you are best known for really enjoying a drink.
Speaker 5: They have a the Catholic Church, I know absolutely.
Speaker 1: I simply love it when schools or any other institution of conservative background actually stand up for their values and say like it all lump it.
Speaker 5: This is how we're rolling.
Speaker 3: So so take the two issues one at a time. Talk to me about the decision that you can't bring a date. And it's not just your formals, it's on any other sort of major functions throughout the year. And no matter what they say, clearly they have done this because the last time that someone was allowed to bring a date, as you said, a young girl bought her girlfriend. The Catholic School said, we really don't want that, it goes against our values. Well that became a media storm where the Catholics can't win, right, they're accused of discriminating. Even Chris Mins, who I believe is a Catholic, said that the Catholic Church needed to get with the times and allow this to happen. So clearly the Catholic School want to retain their orthodoxy, but they don't want the media storm. It's going to come every year some kid is going to do this.
Speaker 2: Really blame them.
Speaker 6: It's just such a Catholic response. It's like, right, they opened the door a crack and then suddenly, oh my god.
Speaker 4: There's lesbians. It's right, No, no, no, one's bring whatever and also forever.
Speaker 3: That's a totally unfair characterization. That is not what happened at all. What happened was you're going to a Catholic school. Clearly they believe that marriage and sex is between a man and a woman, so they don't believe in gay relationships.
Speaker 2: You've got a student who brings her.
Speaker 3: Gay partner to the formal knowing full well that's against Catholic teaching.
Speaker 2: The Catholic school.
Speaker 6: Says out that she wasn't allowed to, but certainly when it became clear that her other partner was saying sex, then she was then.
Speaker 3: So the Catholic school's deal and the next thing it's a media storm. You've got Chris Mian's the premier involved, you've got a quality Australia involved.
Speaker 6: Every Christian school now to me, was at like the forefront of saying, you know, when you know when two GB is championing a progressive cause, it's actually pre mainstream.
Speaker 3: So of course the Catholic schools would say, you know what, we just won't have any dates and will save ourselves.
Speaker 5: It's very smart.
Speaker 1: But you speak of this media storm.
Speaker 5: Because Catholics are being Catholics.
Speaker 1: How dare they stand by their values, how dare they stand by the biblical.
Speaker 5: Basis for relationships? Well, well to GB.
Speaker 1: Get onto a premier Chrisman's.
Speaker 5: You call yourself a Catholic? What a sad excuse?
Speaker 1: Then lays into the Catholic schools to crying out loud. Why is it always Christian schools that get the bad end of the stick every time it's like, oh, you wouldn't allow a trans transtudent to be a student in your school? No, because it goes against our ethos. And all the other parents would be upset by that as well, because there's a reason why they chosen public education for their children, and they don't want them to be.
Speaker 4: So many people.
Speaker 6: I just look at theumber of kids in Catholic schools and look at the number of people who rock up to Mass every week. It's a pretty big difference. They are not the people who send their kids.
Speaker 1: Well, I've already putthe I'm not sure that I'm not aware there was an a single complaint by a parent.
Speaker 3: But it's not the parents who make the school. It's it's Catholicism that makes the school. And they go to the school because it is Catholic. They like the values, the teaching, because that's what you sign up all, then that's what you get.
Speaker 2: Don't complain. What about the second issue.
Speaker 4: Catholic value.
Speaker 6: Catholic values have evolved time and time offered very slowly, but they have evolved time.
Speaker 3: Values on sexuality have not evolved.
Speaker 6: Should know if you look at what Pope Francis is saying about homes.
Speaker 4: The head of the church.
Speaker 5: Back to what literally just.
Speaker 1: Said, that the religions are the same and lead to God.
Speaker 5: That is absolute.
Speaker 4: You know more about Catholic doctrine than.
Speaker 1: The pope, But I know that there is no Catholic who's actually a Catholic who would back the Pope on that. He literally sat there saying Islam, Judaism, Christianity, the High Faith. If you're like, whatever you like, they all.
Speaker 5: Lead to God.
Speaker 1: We're all God's children. Really, then why should I follow Christ? Why should I follow Christ?
Speaker 5: We're all headed there anyway? John four sixteen says.
Speaker 4: Red Sheridan, I am way the truth.
Speaker 5: No man comes to the Father but by me.
Speaker 1: So maybe this Pope Francis once to read the bik.
Speaker 6: Reg Sheridan said exactly the same thing about his wife.
Speaker 2: As a sigh, all right, let's go to the second topic here.
Speaker 3: I was going to have no alcohol at school formals for the parents.
Speaker 5: Read the book.
Speaker 2: We're happy with that.
Speaker 6: There's a lot of Catholic doctrine aside from the Bible. In fact, there's a lot of things that Catholics do that has absolutely no basis in the Bible whatsoever.
Speaker 4: But anyway, as for the drinking, well aware, there is one thing, well, let's do every.
Speaker 6: Single Sunday, and that is all that These days they just get that. You just get the bread, but like the wine as part of the Eucharist, and now the kids can't even have it.
Speaker 3: I went to a school formal and parents get on the drink, and some of the parents get a little bit willing, And I can understand why a school would say, you know what, we just don't want that at our formal.
Speaker 2: So you can have a.
Speaker 4: Drinking and let the kids do the drinking. WI should they regret.
Speaker 2: The point is they should have the right to do what they want. Surely.
Speaker 3: Well, Prime Minister Anthony Elberizi, he's not in a great mood lately, is struggling in the polls, an election coming up.
Speaker 2: Interest rates aren't going down.
Speaker 3: He was interviewed on the ABC Today and would have thought it would be a softball interview, and to be honest, it was pretty soft, But he was not happy have listened to what happened.
Speaker 6: Are you saying negative gearing and capital gains tax concessions are absolutely off the table for you?
Speaker 2: Well, they're tax policies.
Speaker 5: But are those tax policies? Are those tax policies completely off the table for you?
Speaker 3: Well, Patricia, I don't answer the sort of those sort of questions in the way that you mean good ones. Yeah, that's a good question.
Speaker 5: Are you going to say no to those or not?
Speaker 3: There are things that journalists The next question is when will the election be?
Speaker 2: That's not my next question. Yeah, well, they're not terribly clever questions.
Speaker 3: I just love Patricia kevellis doing a running commentary on her own interview.
Speaker 4: I thought that was actually a good comeback, good ones.
Speaker 3: I asked a good question, full credit to myself, and I'll tell you my next question. So, but Anthony Albanezie, as I said, he would have gone on ABC expecting to be given a fairly you know, soft ride, easy questions, and it wasn't that difficult just rule in or out these particulars yes or no question.
Speaker 1: Are these absolutely off the table for you?
Speaker 5: So I'm just going to get snappy instead.
Speaker 3: Is this a sign that Anthony Albanezi is feeling the pressure and he's sensing that he's in trouble.
Speaker 1: Well, we've seen this snappiness from him before, and look, no leader is immune to the pressures of the job. I mean, if we're going to start pulling out prime ministers who have like lost it a bit and been less graceful than they should in the moment, then we'd.
Speaker 5: Be here all night. But clearly he was having a morning of it.
Speaker 1: I don't know why he chose to answer in that way because it actually, I my understanding, Joe correct me if I'm wrong, that was a relatively easy question for him, absolutely to do it.
Speaker 6: I think it's probably just early in the morning. You know, it's breakfast radio. You know, probably you know it's still just you know, waiting for the coffee to kick in.
Speaker 3: Was he surprised that he was getting some tough questions on the ABC and that's why he reacted.
Speaker 2: Because I.
Speaker 6: Don't know, I don't know, like that's not something that's like retroducing negative gearing.
Speaker 4: But maybe he does have a secret plan.
Speaker 6: I certainly not something that is on my radar, or I would have thought was on sort of anybody's.
Speaker 4: Radar, I mean, albow.
Speaker 6: It was widely understood within the Labor Party, and an entire review and new platform was written on the back of the twenty nine ten loss overt negative gearing that said, we cannot do this, we cannot touch this stuff.
Speaker 4: It's just a terrible, terrible look for us.
Speaker 5: Since it was actually an easy question.
Speaker 6: So so it was strange that I suppose it was strange that they didn't just say no. But I suspect that it was just something that wasn't on his It wasn't on his radar, that he was sort of blindsided that it was there and just sort of thought, oh god, I've just got to try to shut this down and move on.
Speaker 3: Because but of course, the ridiculous thing is, had he just played us straight back to that question, no one would be talking about this interview and most of the country wouldn't have even known about it. But because he reacted the way he did, it's front page.
Speaker 6: News, that's right, And again it would have only been known by the listeners of Radio National.
Speaker 2: Like I said, small number of people.
Speaker 4: Proportion of the Australian Electric Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 6: I think it was probably just him not expecting the question and trying to sort of flub his way out of it, and or perhaps even you know, like if you ask the question like that, think, oh God, what have I said before?
Speaker 4: What is our actual formal position? You know?
Speaker 6: Have we you know, have we one hundred percent? And he would have just thought it's probably just cipher at six o'clock in the morning or seven or where it was they were doing the interview to just try to close it down and move on. But doesn't always work the way you plan.
Speaker 4: It to, does it. No.
Speaker 1: Back to the UK now, where with so many migrants pouring over the Channel and brit Faney.
Speaker 5: Are screaming out for some.
Speaker 1: Relief, paying millions of pounds week in week out to how'se illegal migrants in rather fancy hotels.
Speaker 5: Britain has just announced they will not turn back migrant boats.
Speaker 1: They will not send them back to France as it breaches maritime law and risks passenger safety.
Speaker 5: Dama Angela Eagle in the UK's position.
Speaker 1: Said the French don't accept that migrants should always be.
Speaker 5: Returned to them.
Speaker 1: If incidents happen in French territorial waters, they go back to France. If they happen in British territorial waters, we bring them into safety in the UK. Can't imagine many English tax payers are very happy about this. And this is being compared with Italy's recent nine million pounds I keep going to say dollars deal with Tunisia which allows for the interception and return of migrant vessels. So Italy's done this great deal, we don't have to deal with this anymore. Italy has also had a lot of people rocking up onto their shores via boats, and the UK just seems to be so reticent to do anything about what is a ginormous problem.
Speaker 5: Nigel Farage must be ripping his hair out with his latest announcement.
Speaker 2: It is the Johnormo's problem.
Speaker 3: They've had twenty one thousand illegals cross the Channel in the nine months to September, and just last Saturday there are eight hundred and one illegals in fourteen boats. Of course, on Sunday eight people died when one of the boats sank, so they've got a major issue here. Amnesty International were quite disingenuous by saying that it's the government fault because they haven't provided a safe pathway for illegals to get into the UK.
Speaker 6: I think, I mean, the real story here is that the ninety million pounds, which is about what two hundred million is Jian dollars something like that, which France I imagine would not come that cheaply. France is a much much richer country than Gunisia. So what Italy can do to basically, say, you know, similar to what we were going to do with you know, the Malaysian solution or something like that, where we were just going to find find a sweet spot, find a country which was undesirable enough to sort of stem the flow and just do the swap.
Speaker 4: We did it with America as well.
Speaker 6: I suspect, you know, and what Australia has done is actually much more sort of quiet and clever and dar say a little bit sneaky as well, but has all been done. I think these are the sort of things you can't really do almost above board.
Speaker 4: You have to do it, you know, no comment on water.
Speaker 6: Matters, as they say, just you don't want to know what people are doing and you just want it sort of out of sight and out of mind.
Speaker 3: It's certainly going to be a problem for the Labor government in the UK.
Speaker 2: We're going to go to a break.
Speaker 3: When we come back, we'll look at what's making news tomorrow, including Gold Coast unit owners will be taxed.
Speaker 2: According to their view. It's coming up in just a second. Welcome back.
Speaker 3: Let's take a look at what's making news in tomorrow's papers.
Speaker 2: We'll start with a.
Speaker 3: Great story on the front page of tomorrow's Canberra Times, a couple of primary school kids who've clearly watched that classic film The Great Escape. The headline reads, students escape unseen Canberra primary school students dug under a fence to go home at lunch. Two children dug underneath the fence and left school grounds unnoticed at a Canberra primary school that was suffering from staff shortages. In what the Act Education Directorate had described as a scary incident. These two young children from Mount Rogers Primary School had been in the sick bay earlier in the day. Then they were feeling a bit better, so they were allowed to go lunch, but apparently decided want to go home, so they dug a hole under the school fence and headed home and the teachers didn't realize because when class went back, they just assumed these kids were in sick babe. So apparently one of the kids is his name is what Steve McQueen.
Speaker 6: Like this just so the teacher just said, oh, the kids not in clab didn't come back, I assume the just in sick back, Like, wouldn't that be more reason Like if you thought they were sick and this that they were in sick bate, wouldn't.
Speaker 4: That be like more reason to check?
Speaker 6: And then I said, oh, but it's because the resources we don't have an electronic role. We had to mark them with the paper roll. But like, aren't they still not there? Like how does how does that make it?
Speaker 2: It said old thing about you should never assume because.
Speaker 4: But this is this moment.
Speaker 6: Another story Punchball Boys High which was a pretty fair to say, pretty willing educational environment a few years ago before my good friends you had did took over and did amazing things. His principal there, and one of the problems was this very thing. This is a high school, obviously, so kids were tunneling under the fence and just buggering off in the middle of the school all the time. It was just notorious, and he didn't know what to do. There was one problem. He thought they were going out to get some chickens and from Fried Chicken or El Janna Chicken from the shop because.
Speaker 4: They love the chicken and chips.
Speaker 6: And so he said, right, we're going to get the chicken and chips and do it in the school canteens so they don't have to get it.
Speaker 4: Very smart.
Speaker 6: Other thing you did it, they did it next to he went to flower Power and got some Bogan villayers. Right, He said, I want to get all your's Oligan villiers. Thank you very much, sir, I'll take these. And the guy behind the count said, oh, we've got the thorn free ones. Now you don't have to go no, no, I want the thorns the thorns.
Speaker 5: Have you got a breed with extra? These kids watch the Showshank Redemption. They're like, where aret it came back.
Speaker 6: To class after life for their uniforms to shred it looking like the incredible howkun.
Speaker 1: To the rumpage of the Courier mail now and in news that will surprise absolutely none of you.
Speaker 5: Green offset schemes are failures? What carbon cop out?
Speaker 7: Wait, we've been getting ripped off green carbet offset schemes, where customers pay more for travel or bills to fund regeneration projects that offset their emissions, are.
Speaker 1: Often complete failures or impossible to track new research claims. In a study of one hundred and eighty two Australian forest projects, A and you, professor Andrew Macintosh found quote limited evidence of regeneration end quote and in almost eighty percent of cases would he cover had experienced negligible growth to projects back by AGL have actually seen a decrease in tree cover. So any of those blogs that genuinely think, oh I'm catching a plane, Yes, I will pay extra, thanks for asking quantas so I can fly guilt free, You've just been sucked in.
Speaker 5: Apparently it does absolutely nothing.
Speaker 6: Oh I actually just had to check my check to find out if my energy provider was a g L and Fine Energy Australia.
Speaker 5: They must be fine, Okay conscientious.
Speaker 6: I am so concient. But yeah, because we do I do do that. I'm one of those Oh.
Speaker 5: You don't you believe them? Trusting like for every flight you take, we'll plan a tree for you.
Speaker 6: Joe Daily tableaud journalist. If someone tells me something, I just accepted it bose value, especially to come an offset scheme it speaking of which the Mighty Telegraph has an absolutely incredible and this is just classic stuff. I did not have anything to do with this, but it's just quittessent, she'll tell you. I'm pretty sure I can imagine the editor be in English thinking of this in conference. You can almost I can almost see him leaning back as the cogs start to turn in his mind.
Speaker 4: That Sydney we have a problem, reads.
Speaker 6: The headline says, the people of New South Wales are buying fifty thousand bags of cocaine a day, with the States Police Minister Yasmen Cautley pointing the figure squarely at our federal counterparts.
Speaker 4: There's a surprise.
Speaker 6: State federal gram say it's their job to stop the drugs at the border. So great investigation, great exposure. So he's been doing a lot of work on this. But the most amazing stuff is if you look at that picture, if we can pull it up again on the front page. Behind it, the Daily Telegraph has actually hired a grater to dump six tons of sand so that you can actually get a visual image.
Speaker 4: Of how much cocaine is being consumed in Sydney. Every every every day.
Speaker 6: What is its tons of cocaine in four months, so about six thous about six times about a year, so it's just amazing huge amount.
Speaker 3: Well, if you strapolate it out, it's eighteen million bags are being snorted every year in New South Wales.
Speaker 4: Which is on die alone, it's two.
Speaker 2: Bags per resident.
Speaker 3: Let's go to the front page of tomorrow's Gold Coast bulletin where the headline reads a Ringside View high rise residents take rate hike fight up to the council. Residents have put on the gloves and are ready to go ten rounds with the Gold Coast City Council over the view tax. Opponents of a hike on units have ramped up their campaign after council agreed to a review of a controversial measure which would result in residents rates bills being adjusted depending on what floor of a building they live on.
Speaker 2: Now, up until just recently.
Speaker 3: Whether you lived on the first floor or the fortieth floor, you paid the same rates. But council are proposing to adjust the rates higher and higher as you go. So if you live on level one, two, three or four you won't get any increase at all. But if you live on levels five to ten it's a up to twenty percent increase. If you live on levels eleven to twenty, it's a thirty percent increase, twenty one to forty it's a forty percent increase. And if you live on level forty or above on a Gold Coast high rise, you'll get a fifty percent increase in your rates.
Speaker 4: Those people are complaining just.
Speaker 3: Because you live high up doesn't mean necessarily you've got a view, because some of the rate payers are saying, we used to have a view, but then another building was put in front of us, and we're still getting tax like we had our old view.
Speaker 4: It's not fair. Think how much.
Speaker 6: More the building in front of you is paying on their rates doesn't make you feel about it.
Speaker 3: Isn't the point of units though, that it doesn't cost the council that much extra in provisions because it's.
Speaker 4: Because it's done.
Speaker 2: You're in the sky.
Speaker 6: So in other homes, the more valuable a home is, the higher the rates are.
Speaker 4: So surely to tax the rich measure well, that's generally the point of taxing.
Speaker 1: I know it doesn't seem fair in terms of council rates. If it's roads rates and rubbish, we all require the same service.
Speaker 4: Yes, and every other.
Speaker 6: Like if you've got a mansion on a hill, you pay more rates than if you've got a three bedroom bungalow in the valley, So why wouldn't.
Speaker 2: The same which is based on land right value.
Speaker 6: I think it's based on the value of the value of the high There's not that.
Speaker 1: Many councils on a hill though, is there castles on a hill?
Speaker 5: Rather to the front page of the Oars before we.
Speaker 1: Leave you, Miles in abortion attack on chrisal Fooley, Hang on a minute, Chris A.
Speaker 5: Fuley hasn't said anything about abortion.
Speaker 1: Probably Stephen Miles and his front bench have launched a scare campaign on abortion in the last ditchployee to stay in power with the help of women voters, despite l MP leader David Chris of Fooley's insistence he will not change laws and would continue funding Labour's forty two million dollar abortion action plans. So Miles seems to have taken a leaf out of the book of the Democrats in America and decided to run on an issue that literally isn't an issue.
Speaker 5: As Chris of Fooley. As Miles has.
Speaker 1: Been uploading all this nonsense to his social media christ Aph Fuoley has repeatedly said, this is a nonsense.
Speaker 5: Where's the misinformation? Disinformation people cracking down on this?
Speaker 6: But what's Christopholly's relationship with Project twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: That's what we're going to go to a break.
Speaker 3: Will we come back a Victorian golfer donz a wig and address to try and get a discount being offered to female golfers. We'll show you how that goes in just a second. Well, with less than fifty days to the election, the US presidential race is heating up now. One of the things that I'm sure you're aware of in the US is that there's no compulsory voting. See, I've really got to motivate people to get out there and vote. And so Donald Trump, well he was very motivational in New York this week.
Speaker 8: We can do all of this and more, but patriotic New York must get your asses out to vote.
Speaker 4: Got to get out, Get to go out.
Speaker 8: Harry, Get up, Harry, Harry, get your fat ass out of the couch. You're going to vote for Trump today, Harry, Get up, Harry, come on, let's go, let's go.
Speaker 3: Harry, what do you reckon, Joe, Harry, get your fat ass out of the couch.
Speaker 2: Is Harry inspired or.
Speaker 6: Is I like to think Harry is a real person. I like to I like to imagine that Donald Trump was actually thinking of someone called Harry, who's notoriously lazy, just sitting there watching Seinfeld. It's a brilliant it's a brilliant strategy. Strangely enough, he does something that he knows is going to go viral. The only way he can win is if he gets some surge in people coming out to vote who otherwise wouldn't vote. Every single russet On Trump voter is going to wade through, you know, crocodile infested.
Speaker 2: Who want us to vote for him.
Speaker 6: So he's got and that's not enough as it stands now, and so he's got to get He's got to get Harry. He's got to get Harry, who was otherwise just going to sit this one out, and somehow get him energize.
Speaker 1: I got to get Harry to move your ass.
Speaker 8: Harry.
Speaker 1: Well, just before we leave you tonight, a golf club in Victoria who has offered a special six day deal at a reduced rate for female players got more than they were asking for when an old mate player decided, well, since we can identify as whatever we like nowadays, I want the cheaper rate, Kerrie, is it.
Speaker 7: Yes, I'm identifying as a female now and I'm just about to inquire about the new membership.
Speaker 4: He goes, Kerry, I'm now identifying as a female. I just wanted to inquire about the new membership deal. Had to answer that, No, you need to delegate if you want to have a discussion. Then you know your.
Speaker 5: Golf club has no sense of humor.
Speaker 1: That bloke, the guy who filmed it and another member is now suspended.
Speaker 5: They were just taking the met.
Speaker 8: It wasn't right.
Speaker 4: You couldn't see the skirt. There was a pitch in the Why think man, I mean woman?
Speaker 3: That's it from us stick Around Coming up in just a moment is the reader Penney Show.
Speaker 2: Good Night,