Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome back to the Maths Tunny Podcast, and welcome to an episode that will not be funny in the slightest. Many of you have seen some articles and new stories floating about Re and Jeff over the last I think like twelve twenty four hours, you've kind of asked me what the go is.
Speaker 2: So in this episode, I am going to just.
Speaker 1: Go through this situation, and please know prior to listening to any of this that Jeff has denied any wrongdoing and has denied on record to Chatter who broke the story everything you're about to hear, and just to stick to the facts, I'm essentially just going to read Chatters new story from top to bottom, starting with their headline because they broke this story. Cops come firm AsSalt probe into Maths Room Jeff after an incident left Re with minor injuries prior to their split. He denies any wrongdoing. The article then says Victoria Plice have launched an investigation into an alleged incident between married at first sit golden couple at Jeff and Ree prior to their sudden split. Chatter has exclusively learned police were called to the pair's Melbourne apartment in the leafy suburb of I don't think we should say the suburb on June first, about twenty four hours before they confirmed they'd abruptly ended their romance after two years together. Saucy said the incident left Ree with what cops have described to Chatter as minor injuries. Jeff, forty one, was interviewed by police but released without charge pending summons. According to a Victoria Police statement provided to this website, a police spokesperson said police are investigating and a soul in suburb. On the first of June. Officers were called to the address about six thirty am. A woman sustained that minor injuries and a forty one year old mine was interviewed and released pending summons. The party is unknown to each other. The article then continues and says multiple sources have identified the individuals named in the statement as Jeff and Ree. Jeff has appointed Melbourne lawyer Senad Dysdevik to represent him in the probe. When asked for comments about what happened in the early hours of the morning in question, mister Dysdevik was tight lipped, but there vehemently I can never say that word vehemently denied Jeff had done anything wrong.
Speaker 2: Hato Chatter.
Speaker 1: At no stage was my client arrested, charged or detained, and no summons has been issued to him Chatter then and there asco By saying, but the emergence of police involvement in the reality television pairs split provides never before known details on the question that has baffled fans what happened between Jeff and Ree. I'm not gonna now speculate on the incident because that is insensitive and this is like something serious and it's also a police matter. It is worth noting there again that Jeff's low denied Jeff did anything wrong and says that no summons has been issued to him. I assume still because that comment was yesterday, and since this incident, Jeff went to Europe for a month and he's now back in Australia. One thing I do want to talk about, though, is the media involvement in this. And like with an article like this, what I can tell you from working at Endless Publications is it is very hard to get over the line unless all the facts are correct and your publications legal team, like every website, newspaper magazine would ever have like one lay if not a team of lawyers where any issues that could be potentially defamatory, you know, they have to go over those articles like with a fine column and make a choice, can we publish this, do we stand by this? Is their merit to this, and obviously Chatter have deemed yes they are going to publish and stand by this. And from a legal point of view, because I mean, as he's lawyer said, hasn't been arrested, charge detained and know someone's has been issued to him, still they have to also lead with his denial because that's still the fact of this story. With things like this, should just have to stick to the facts and not very away from that. But one interesting thing, and why I wanted to talk about the media's take on this, is because Daily Mail actually kind of broke the story on the fifteenth of June, so literally what a month ago today, But they didn't name Rhein Jeff, which some of you I think may remember because I saw it kind of doing the rounds and socials because this article just created a guessing game which felt a bit insensitive.
Speaker 2: But the headline was the scandal that could end.
Speaker 1: Maths Australia alleged assault Rocks franchise after damning claims about UK version. Here's what we can tell you as nine braces for impact, and then the article goes A police investigation into an alleged assault by a former Maths Australia style against a person known to them could potentially pose a series ending threat to the franchise. Married at first Site is already under intense global scrutiny after the UK version was engulfed in a major scandal involving serious allegations about contestant safety and welfare. The Daily Mail cannot legally report any of details of this incident, including the date, location or people involved. However, we can disclose that it happened after filming and Daily Mail then go, please confirm this week they were investigating an alleged assault. The former Maths participant was interviewed and released pending summons. Daily Mail then go, These bare facts are all we can tell you for now, and then they go into Across its thirteen seasons, there have been more than two hundred and seventeen individual participants on Maths Australia, which is produced by Animal Shining Australia. For the nine network, and to me, when we talk about a legal perspective, often this is this thing called group defamation, where if because it's like an implication, say say you've got a group of friends and the five of you and someone for some reason wrote some crazy article about you and that group and they said one person in this group is doing xyz and it's some crazy accusation of what violence are something illegal. You as that small group of people could say, hey, even though you didn't name us, that is damning to all of our reputations. So therefore this we can do a group defamation action against you. And for me, the way Daily Mail kind of ended that little thing about an incident where they don't say the incident or give any details to then go across its thirsteen seasons they have in more than two hundred and seventy individual participants. To me, that's them going, hey, we've got this thing we're telling you about, but we're not actually telling you anything about and it could be anyone within two hundred and seventy people. Therefore, there's no suggestion of who it could be in the slightest if that makes sense. And then that article then from Dally Mail just goes into all the recent stuff about my UK and the allegations there, and it becomes like a wider piece where they implied this individual incident could be the reason Maths Australia ends like So to me, what is interesting, I suppose is why did Daily Mail's lawyers back then, when they would have known it was RhE and Jeff think, Hey, we don't want to name, we don't feel confident to do that, we don't feel there's enough here or you know, legally we can stand by this. But then now chatter maybe their legal team are less.
Speaker 2: Concerned, or maybe there's something new.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but then, yeah, it's just interesting when we talk about like the media involvement and getting things over the line. And again just to say Jeff denies any wrongdoing, his lawyer says that, and his lawyer again just to say, has reminded us Jeff has never been arrested, charged or detained and no someone's has been issued to him. So yeah, that's the latest on this story. If there's any updates, I will let you know. And again it's just worth remembering that this I know it's attached to reality TV, but this is like a.
Speaker 2: Real thing and it's a serious thing.
Speaker 1: And this morning I woke up and I was scrolling TikTok and I saw several clips like not dramatizing it, but it was like Rhan Jeah for solo charges, and I was just a bit like, let's slow down and not treat this as we would treat stuff from the show.
Speaker 2: That's all I got for today. Yeah, I have a lovely night, so yeah,