Speaker 1: I get atam, It's tiff It's Jann, It's Craig Anthony Harper at the Bloody You Project. What else would it be? Where else would I be Tiffany and Cook over there at typ Central steering the good ship. Typ get a happy Monday, Hearts Happy Monday. Look at you in a bloody purple singlet. You look like a violet crumble with headphones on. Fucking hell, what what are you doing?
Speaker 2: We didn't get out in the heat yesterday, so I thought I'd just revel it up and pretend it was still hot today.
Speaker 1: Well, since I went to the dermatologist the other day and she scared the shit out of me, I don't go near the fuck the sun. I'm never going in the sun again. I'm getting a cave built in the front yard. I'm going to be a bit like Jesus. I'm going to live in there. Although he came out after three days, all right, I'm going to stay in for much longer. And enough theology. Jiann Rudey, you're a big deal. Welcome to the You Project.
Speaker 3: Wow, what an inn Hello.
Speaker 1: You've never heard that much bullshit at the start of any show you've done. Telly you've done radio, you've won gold medals, you're a big deal, your fucking World Olympic, this and world champion that. You've never had that, have you.
Speaker 3: I've never had that and actually really liked the message. I'm with you, stay out of the sun. I've spent plenty of my time in the sun. I've got that really pale skin that burns in ten minutes and just gets freckles and goes red and goes back to the color that it was, so after years and years of being in the sun, I am definitely hiding from it for the rest of my existence.
Speaker 1: I was talking to my old man on the weekend. Shout out to Ron Harper, who's two hundred and he's had shit cut off him and he had a melanoma cut off his nose not that long ago, and I've had about I'm going to go conservatively a dozen basil cell carcinomas. They're the kind of the one down cut off and I should probably, but I've never, like I done sunbake, that's the point. Like I've never probably I sun baked five times in my twenties, and I don't spend too much time in the sun. But nonetheless, nonetheless, do you so you avoid the sun.
Speaker 3: I can't avoid the sun. I'm a farmer.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: For the most part, it's pretty hard, but I am very wary of the sun. I think is probably the best way to put it. Even when I was a swimmer, when I was an athlete outdoor pool on the Gold Coast and you're, you know, four and a half to five hours a day out in it. My mum was incredible. She used to slather me in you know, sunscreen and then even zinc on the top of my face as well. But it's not like you're hopping out after an hour to reapply. You're also sweating water for the most part, so it's coming off and you get exposed to it whether you like it or not. So I've just got a really healthy respect for it. I'm like you. I've had a couple of cut out. I've had a couple of burnt off that have been nothing too sinister, but so, you know, just really notice that my skin doesn't like it, so I respect it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's a good way. Tiffany and Cook, have you had anything cut off you other than your hair?
Speaker 2: I excuse me, I had a squam of silk ass and I would cut off my temple.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, was that like a cleary whitey color, No, it was.
Speaker 2: It looked like it looked like a big wart and it come up real fast. And I had to go to three different doctors to get them to actually even test it. They were just like, I'll come back in a few months.
Speaker 3: It's nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that happens a bit. I think. I think they give it a mile. Not most doctors, because most doctors are brilliant, but the old one goes, nah, you'll be right, slap on the back, so you and actually you won't be right. So it is worse some investigating. Where you at, Johan, I.
Speaker 3: Am in Corndale in New South Wales, which is about twenty five minutes out of liz Moore. So yes, my little community where Macedamia farmer's here and we love it. But it's been a really tough year for our little community and you know, we're not out of the woods yet. So just shout out to the northern rivers of New South Wales.
Speaker 1: Shout out to you guys and girls and everyone. It's a natural transition, you know, academia farming from swimming. I mean, that's what most people do, so yeah, yeah, but you know, nonetheless, do you want to explain to us the journey between those two very obviously linked careers.
Speaker 3: I think I can start by saying that the thing when I'm so grateful for my swimming career, so grateful for it, but I do not miss it at all, and for one of those plenty of reasons which we'll get into later of why that is such a healthy way to be, but one of them was probably what I grew to dislike most about swimming was the monotony, every day same. I don't think most people have thought about this, but as a as a swimmer, I just some time I got to the end of my career and I just at training didn't feel like getting wet. I didn't, you know. I was like, I'm not lazy, I don't want to work hard. I'll go for a run, I'll go to the gym, I'll do I just don't want to get in the pool. And you know, there is no real cross training in the sport. There are little things you can do, but ultimately just got to do laps. That's where it's at. And no one thought about this. You know, if you're a cyclist, you can change your scenery. If you're a runner, you can change your scenery and change your motivation. Let me tell you, a pool is a pool. No matter where you are in the world, the same feel There is nothing about it that feels any different. No matter where you are in the world, A pool is a pool. And so it's the monotony that probably got me more than anything by the end of it. And what I wanted from my life after was to not have any of that monotony exist. And I've really got that. I've been really fortunate that no day has ever been the same two days had never been the same ever since I had walked away from the sport of swimming. And I absolutely love that component of it. But it wasn't until I'm a city girl, you know, grew up in Brisbane and the Gold Coast and then moved to Melbourne, lived in Melbourne and met my now husband, Sam, who is anything but city boy. He was a mustering chop, a pilot when we met. When we first got married, we had a cattle farm in Euroa outside of Melbourne, and so he grew up on the land. He's a fifth generation cattle farmer and we were on the Gold Coast. We were looking for a weekend a slash holiday house that was a farm that could pay for itself. We couldn't afford it without that. It needed to be able to pay for itself, couldn't afford cattle country where we were looking. Stumbled across a maca farm and thought, how hard can it be? And as it turns out, pretty bloody hard.
Speaker 1: I don't know for one moment why you would think that would be easy, but probably because everything else came easy because you're a freak. It is interesting with swimmers like I trained a few swimmers and a bunch of athletes, but I trained to somebody that maybe, well, she definitely preceded you. I don't know if you ever overlapped it and swam together, Nicole Livingston.
Speaker 3: But I'm very glad we didn't overlap Craig because she's extraordinary and she's hardcore as a swimmer. She has such an incredible reputation of just being the toughest on pool deck. So I was really lucky that our paths never crossed in the swimming pool. But I credit Nicole and Duncan Armstrong with mentoring me through the early transition into commentary and TV life.
Speaker 1: I got them.
Speaker 3: I got the best of that world in its entirey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you've done all right, She's done all right. But I remember I didn't meet her till she'd just finished well no, not just she'd finished swimming. But and anyway, I can't remember how we met, but we became friends. We're still friends. And so I owned a bunch of gyms down here, and she trained in one of my gyms, and I ended up training her and just general stay in shape, be fit, strong, healthy stuff. I remember. And I didn't ask her. I don't know why I didn't ask her, but I didn't ask her for a long time. I said, by the way, when was the last time you went? You were in a pool? And it was literally like her last meet or whatever, the last like she'd never been. She goes, I fucking hate pools, she goes. If I never swim again, it'll be too soon. I'm like, really, and I'm sure she doesn't actually mean that, but she was in no hurry to go for a swim. She goes, I would literally rather do any anything you want to give me anything, I would do over swimming.
Speaker 3: I'm like incur. I have not swum a lap since the day I walked away in March two thousand and six. In fact, I even own togs that would be appropriate to go for a swim in.
Speaker 1: That's hilarious.
Speaker 3: As I said, a lot of people are shocked at that. I really shocked at the fact that there's you know, they're like swimmings in your blood. You loved this, you were so good at it. Why would you not do it anymore? And for me, there's a number of reasons, but I very quickly liken it to particularly by the end of my career, it was my job. It was my job. Yes, you know I was good at it and I loved it, but it was my job. And so I asked people to say, when you retire one day, will you go to the office and sit in front of your computer and swing on your chair just for the fun of it. And they're like no, And I'm like, that's how I felt about going and doing laps in the pool. The second thing for me is I loved racing. I loved racing. I needed racing. By the end of it, I hated training because all I wanted to do was the racing component. And I couldn't do one without the other. And in a sport like swimming, you know, it's twice a year that you get to do the component that I loved. The rest of it is doing the hard yards. So I've always said that if I could have been like a football player or a basketballer, or you know, got to do the part that I loved every weekend, I'd probably still be forty years of age like I am now trying to make the ustrain swim team. But when that isn't that isn't an option on the table, then it's like right, you know, okay, move on. But on top of it, I was really lucky. I actually got to leave my sport on my terms, when I was ready, with no regrets and ultimately feeling proud of my achievements and ready for the next challenge. So it's actually a really healthy place to be. As I said, I'm so grateful for it, but I don't miss it, and that's a really healthy place to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny you say that I've never It makes complete sense, and I don't know why I haven't thought of it. I should have. I've never thought about that in that you would only compete, race, do the thing that you actually want to do a couple of times a year versus an AFL or AFL W player or whatever, who who does it twenty times a year. Yep, who is competing every weekend or you know even even other athletes in different fields who do it way more than that. Because yeah, it's the and and also because your training is not it's part like the actual training itself is brutal, is brutal, and it's not social and it's stupidly fucking early in the day, come on, right, But when you're running around a basketball court with your mates, talking shit, having fun, you know you're training, it's social, it's it's yeah, you're training, your sweating, you're developing skill. But it's like it's it's not mind numbing, you know, it's not mine numbing. Like there's socialization and I know the outside of the pool there's connection and all of that. But do you think that because swimming is such a brutal sport psychologically, emotionally, physiologically, sociologically, you can't have a fucking social life if you're elite swimmer. Yeah, good luck with that. And also financially, like there ain't many swimmers in their twenties. There are some, of course, but there ain't many that are making heaps of dough. So you're putting off your career. You're putting all these things on hold to swim for glory. Unless you're a big deal like you are you fucking big deal, high watermark, big deal, shp your business card, said Jean Rooney, big deal. I went okay. So by the time you get to twenty four, like you, you're like, fuck it. I've been doing this for more way over half my life. I'm done.
Speaker 3: There's lots in it. One of the things as well, is that you've also got to remember in sportlight swimming, there's no off season. There's no chance. You know, we got two weeks off a year, and you were lucky to get those two weeks off a year because a lot of the old school coaches had a mentality that we as swimmers also believe that for every week that you take out of the water, it's three weeks to get back to where you were before that week. So when you're talking about a sports that's won and lost by one hundredths of a second, in a lot of cases, that mentality of taking time away from the sport is terrifying because you catch up process is so difficult. And I knew that to be true for me, particularly because our last session of a week used to be in the water, used to be on a Saturday morning, and our first session of the week was a Monday morning. So one day off a week, Sundays off, and every Monday morning of my life, my entire swimming career. I felt like I was starting again. I felt like I was a hot knife through butter. Is the analogy where I couldn't hold water, I didn't feel strong in the water. I felt like my body had almost forgotten how to swim after one day out. And that's why there's no cross training in sport of swimming. That's why we do so many kilometers. That's why we do so much work just inside the pool is because we's humans aren't really meant to swim. We're land based creatures, and so we're doing something that isn't fundamentally natural for our bodies, and we've just got to put in the mileage. And so that not only plays into your physical psyche, that plays into of course your mental and your emotional psyche as well. So there is no off season, there's no time away, there's no downtime, so to speak. And you know that every session that you're not giving your absolute one hundred percent best in at training is a training session that some one of your competitors somewhere around the world could be which could be the difference between you winning and losing by hundreds of second on race day.
Speaker 1: So many things out of what you just said, I want to unpack. Okay, oh fucking giddy up. Here we go, Like that makes no sense physiologically, Like, it makes no sense that you should have to train that much, especially when you're ten or twelve years old. Me, as an exercise scientist, I go overtrained, overtrained, undercovered, overtrained. It's going to have a negative impact on performance, on skill, on recovery, on health, on your immune system. It doesn't make sense. I know you're not a physiologist, but you're we're an elite athlete and you're a smarty pants you know all about macadamias and swimming. What's your theory? Like, like, what other athlete you know? If I mean, I'm just an dodgy bloke who's been lifting weights for one hundred years, but if I have a day off or two days off, the third day I come back, I'm fucking superman, Like, what is that about?
Speaker 3: Well, okay, so first and foremost it's changed a lot, and for the better because but so I retired in two thousand and six, and I probably came at a time where, you know, I started training. My first coach was Dennis Kottrell. Incredible, awesome love Dennis, but a full mentality of you do mileage, and you do lots of it. Essentially one of the greatest distance coaches the world's ever seen. I was only laying next to you know, Daniel Kowowski and Grant Hackett for most of my career. Success stories speak for themselves. But in that time before that, we've also heard about you know, Laurie Lawrence. Lorie Lawrence had a stable pool full of superstars. But there was kind of a joke that which wasn't funny at all. But to succeed in Laurrie Lawrence's squad, you either were Olympic gold medalist by the age of twenty or you had two shoulder reacs behind you do you know, like it was one or the other. And for a lot of those early swimming days. It really was survival of the toughest, not the fittest, the toughest. And I was lucky enough that I had a body that isn't very flexible at all. But I wasn't. I wasn't. I guess I have a lot of the overuse injuries or being hyper mobile that a lot of swimmers suffer from, and mentally I could deal with the work because that's that's also where I got my confidence from. I got my confidence from getting up on race day and looking at the other seven girls lined up across from me across the pool and going, get the hell out of my way, bitches, I've done more work than you. I deserve this and could honestly believe that in that time, like you know, would wave to the crowd with a smile on my face, looking like a cheerleader when they announced my name on pool deck. But mentally, I was telling myself and honestly one hundred percent believe it that I'd done more work than anyone else. Therefore I deserved it more, and that's where I got my confidence from. So I had to believe that whereas the great thing is now I was just speaking to Emma mckehon. You know our greatest Olympia the other day. Now, she had three months off, three months out of the pool. When they delayed the Tokyo Olympic announcement by a year, three months away, coach Michael Bole said, go, don't think about swimming. It's too hard to be in that intense mindset for this long. Go go and do something else and take your mind off it. We'll come back to it now. That for me in my time would have been suicide. Like I could not have taken three months away that close to an Olympics and had the confidence to get up on race day. So that's where it's evolved. And then Emma also took three months off after she was our most successful Olympian in Tokyo and came back, you know what I would consider completely unprepared, without much fitness or mileage behind her, to have an extraordinary Commonwealth Games and swim brilliantly. And so it's very foreign to me, but it's also really exciting for me to see that the sport is evolving and that we're not only understanding what you're talking about now, but on top of it, we're keeping our athletes in the sports so much longer than we ever did before because they are having these breaks both mentally and physically and allowing them to recover properly before the next campaign. It's really exciting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's such I don't know if you read this when you did a sneak peek at what we do. But I'm doing a PhD in neuropsych and so I'm more fascinated with minds than bodies. And in fact, even when I was, you know, I owned gyms and did all that stuff and train lots of athletes and teams. Of course, I'm fascinated with physiology, anatomy and physical performance, but I'm more fascinated with the mind and the brain and being able to like, it's funny how you that are. I couldn't have had three months off, I couldn't have coped, and and that's really a psychological reaction to a thought, you know, And and maybe you would have been better or worse. You probably would have been worse based on how you explained it. But it's really interesting to see the way that training and recovery and performance and the integration of coaching and progressive overload and periodization and psychology and nutrition all of it's like now everyone's starting to work together. When I started working with for example, some killed a football club, which was when were you born eighty two? I started working with them in eighty in nine. Fuck, I don't know, I don't know. Yeah, no, no, about in the late eighties when you were like three, and it was so fundamental and rudimentary. H No, it was in the nineties. But even then, everything like nothing worked synergistically. There was like the dietitian over there and the strength guy over there, and the fitness guy over there, and the coaching staff and there was no connection communication. And now at least we're starting to see like a holistic I hate that word, but it'll do for now approach to managing, and not just in sport, but outside of sport. You know, I'm working with people where we talk about sleep, we talk about nutrition, we talk about movement, we talk about anxiety and stress, we talk about lifestyle, we talk about work life balance or impact like all of these things where we go this is this is you know project you or perhaps the you project we should call it, you know, and like things have really evolved though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and for the better, because I think it's even like the way that we're approaching well hopefully that we are approaching, but we approaching medicine and individualistic health. We are all individuals, We're all completely different. You can't apply one overarching thought and apply it to every human on the planet. And that's the same when you're an athlete. And I think theming is is or has been one of the more old schools sports historically, where you know, you joined a squad because you thought that their training program would be the most or the best suited to your strokes and or distance that you swam. So once you're in that squad, it's not like, oh, Ujian are going to have this program today, and U Craig, you're going to have this program over here today, and you know, you Tiffany are going to have this program like you're all doing the same set. You're all doing the same program every single session. And so there was never in my day and individual training to and that for me at that time, really played into what I needed because I was quite often the only female in a squad full of boys, So there wasn't a female time cycle and a male time cycle. That's time cycle I had to keep up with the slowest guy. Otherwise I didn't keep up, So again that played into my psyche on race day of I can race you, I know how to race you. I'm okay with this because I've trained with boys or I've done this amount of work, and that gave me the confidence. But it's also the reason why I walked away from the sport at twenty three. Using Emma again. Emma was twenty seven when she won seven Olympic medals in Tokyo, and he's going to Paris in twenty twenty four where she'll be what thirty Kay Campbell is trying to make her fifth Olympics, where she'll be I think thirty two or thirty three. So we've always Summers have always physiologically been capable of being well into our late twenties early thirties, of reaching our physical peak performance, but historically, mentally, we've never made it, and that's because of the brutal, monotonous nature of the training for that sport.
Speaker 1: It's funny you say that I was going to literally ask you because physiologically there's no reason other than somebody's injured. But there's no you know, there's no reason why at thirty four done everything done well, and you know, nutrition and recovery and training, and that somebody couldn't be as good or better than when they were twenty four depending on the event and all of that. But speaking of speaking of over training and brutality and ridiculously tough athletes, I trained, I tried trained a five time Olympian whose name's Jackie Cooper, and she's completely crazy. She's a lunatic. She had thirty six operations. She just had a full hip replacement six and a half months ago. I'm actually training her now. She comes and trains when I train, and I just tell her what today. She's still absolutely But it's funny because some people like I don't even know what it is with her, but there's something in her and yet she would so I'm not being rude. She's been on the show a couple of times, so everyone knows her. But when I say, she's borderline crazy as in just out there, but she trains even now. She's fifty in a minute, I think she's fifty in a month or two. And even when she comes to the gym, she trains so hard it's ridiculous. I'm like steady on Champ there's no event coming up. It's all good. Let's just wind it back a little bit. But there's something innate in some people where and it's not just that they have a high pain threshold, but there's something that you know, in exo science we call it rate of perceived exertion RPE. You know, where people kind of over the years, I would say there's someone, how hard are you working? Out of ten? And they'd say nine, and I know they're working at four, right, yep. Whereas Jackie will be working in eleven and she'll tell you seven. Yep. You know, yep.
Speaker 3: Jackie. Love her, but she's also what you're describing, for me is the ultimate athlete. When you say, though there are some people that just have the ability to push themselves harder than is should be humanly possible, that for me is the ultimate athlete. And I'm the first person to put my hand up and say that's not me. I was incredibly competitive. I will back myself and say I was an incredibly hard worker. I had enough natural talent to get me through. But I also am very aware of the fact that I was an above average athlete in a superstar era that got tarnished with the same brush as my contemporaries. But that also sits really comfortably with me, because when I said to you, I left my sport with no regrets. I was the best athlete I could be. There is nothing more I could have done to be any better than what I was. Whereas there I think, again, that's a really healthy mindset to have. Whereas the ultimate athletes, those hardcore athletes that we talk about, the Jackie Coopers of the world, the Grant Hackets of the world, the Lydia Lasslas of the world, there are so many of them that they actually when they finish their sport, they actually don't have that switch off button. They have to find something else that allows them to push their bodies and their minds all the time. They never stop having that. Whereas for me, as I said, I was ultimate competitor, but I am, funnily enough, not competitive in any other aspect of my life. I do not feel the need to push myself physically. And maybe that ties into the fact that you know, everyone says, oh, don't you miss being fit, and I'm like no, because fit for me at that level meant physical, emotional, mental exhaustion every day of my life. I felt like I was eighty five getting out of bed every day of my life. So now I am happier, arguably healthier, more positive, and a happier person now than I ever was when I was supposedly at my fittest. So I've got no idea, I've got no desire to revisit that in any way, shape or form. Whereas for so many hardcore athletes, they need that in their everyday life continuously to feel like they are worthy, to feel like they are, you know, healthy, if you like, to feel like they are still in that successful state of mind that they were when they were a successful athlete. Whereas I'm really fortunate. I love my job, I love my life. I'm not competitive in any other shape or you know way, shape or form, and I'm pretty content where everything sits. How bloody lucky am I?
Speaker 1: You're bloody lucky, but you're not lucky because you've built it, you created it. It almost seems to me like being an elite, I mean elite, top of the tree, world class performer and being mentally and healthily mentally and emotionally healthy, socially healthy, balanced, calm, lacking anxiety, sleeping well, It's like those things don't go together. It's like, yeah, if you want to be like mentally and emotionally healthy, don't be an elite swimmer like you you am I right ish? Or does it vary?
Speaker 3: I think it varies, but I think you're probably right. One of the things I will say that with my greatest asset it has been throughout my life, is the ability to sleep anywhere under any circumstances in duress, and so I never quite realized it when I was an athlete. I knew it was a positive, but I could fall asleep on a barb wife fence in the middle of the middayne with ants crawling on top of me like I had no problems going to sleep, even during major competitions. I never required sleeping tablets to switch off at night after a race, knowing that I had a heat the next morning. My brain was obviously incredibly adaptive in being able to say, Okay, you're tired, you've got something that you need to deal with. I need to switch you off, and then when you wake up in the morning, you'll be rational enough to deal with whatever you need to deal with. So almost the more stressed I was about something or had a decision to make or had something hanging over my head. The more stressed I was, the better I slept. And never realized what an huge asset that was across my whole entire life until it was taken away from me when I had a baby. For the first time I ever felt like I was failing in life. I had two I've got two kids who I loved dearly, but I've never felt like I was failing properly before I was doing something that is meant to be so fundamentally natural. So I went to sleep school with one child and two sleep consultants with another. And that's the thing out of everything I've done in my life that nearly broke me.
Speaker 1: That's hilarious. Well, I mean that will I was going to say, what a gift it is that the kids kind of threw a spinner in that work in that for you. But being able to people, I mean, we kind of get it. But you know, for me, even as an exercise in inverted commas loosely expert, right, I still say to people that bad sleep, consistent bad sleep, is way worse for your health than not exercising. You should exercise, but if you're working out and your diet's good, but you are consistently getting three hours of sleep a night for an extended even for a week, like your body just crashes. It's people don't understand, Like people go, yeah, yeah, of course, stay hydrated and sleep. Yeah, we get all that. No, it's way more important than because your body can't reset, you know, or your nervous system, you're endo crime system, cardiovascular system, respiratory, it can't reboot, reset and wake up fresh, ready to go if it hasn't had enough time, you know.
Speaker 3: And I think that's probably where you'd be so well placed to answer this, Craig. And the fact that you know, I feel like everyone around us after the last few years that we've had suffering from like a drenal exhaustion. You know, there has been so much going on that is out of our control. There is so much that has you know, caused us to look at our life priorities, look at our work priorities, look at our family priorities, look at every aspect of our life in ways that we never have before. And you know, I said to you before we started, I feel like, you know, everyone I know, myself included, we're just limping towards the end of the year, we're like, just you know, we're on crutches, you know, we're limping towards the end of the year. And I just think sleep, as you said, is such an integral part of our life, and I don't think we pay it enough attention. And it was why I went to sleep school with my son Xander, because giving your child for me, one of the most important things I could give my child was the gift of sleep, because I know insomniacts. My dad has always struggled to sleep since being a shift worker. I know plenty of people where it's their biggest downfall in their life is their lack of quality sleep. And that's the one thing I wanted to give my children, was this gift of being able to sleep and sleep well and reset, reset your mind, and have that as an asset in your life.
Speaker 1: It's interesting, there's such a and we know this now but we don't even necessarily understand the link. But you think about like in the middle of COVID, some people thrived and some people capitulated or you know, really really struggled understandably, and then people go, oh, yeah, but those people had it harder or whatever, and the the truth is sometimes like sometimes, so there's this, there's this the stimulus, right, there's the thing that's happening, and then there's the physiological consequence, which is I can't sleep, I'm producing adrenaline, cortisol, nouropin, efrom my sympathetic nervous systems elevated. There's all this shit going on in my body and now I'm in a stress state. But there's this space in the middle, which is the mind, and it's the mind's reaction to the thing. The mind creates the physiology, not the thing, because if COVID created a stress response, then everyone would have had a stress response and they didn't. Everybody would have endured significant mental health issues and they didn't. Which is not to say people are good or bad, strong, all weak. It's just understanding because when people go, oh, you made me feel like this, I'm like, no, that isn't true, or COVID did this to me, and I understand. I'm not saying, by the way, anyone don't lose your shit. I'm not saying COVID wasn't fucking horrible. I get it. But in the middle of that, there's still this space where I get to self regulate and say, Okay, what am I what story? Because if I'm telling myself a story of doom and gloom, even if there is no doom and gloom, but I tell myself that story and I believe that story, then that becomes an experience in my body. And we're just starting to understand now in a really correlated way where we understand the external stimulus, the cognitive processing, the story about the stimulus, and then the consequence of the story, which is all the shit in my body. And then when we start you love this word, it's called metacognition. When we start to think about where that thinking comes from, that metacognitive process, then all of a sudden we realize, oh, that thing is stimulating me, but I am creating the stress response which makes it. It doesn't fix it, but just opening that door on that awareness is a really good starting point.
Speaker 3: I really loved the analogy during COVID where you know, everyone started off by saying we're all in the same boat, and then some smart cookie came up with the analogy, which I really think is the right way of saying, is that we're not all in the same boat. We're all in the same storm. We're all in the same storm, but someone's in a super yacht, someone's in a fishing boat, someone's in a leaking tinny. You know, like we're all in the same storm, but we're not all in the same boat. And I think that, again, is the response's to it. And as you mentioned, you know, the mental capacity of different people and also what they were dealing with outside of the pandemic itself. And you know, again, we moved to the farm one week before the queensli Knew South Wales border shut and all of a sudden, you know, my mum and dad are up there, don't know when we're going to see them. I missed commentating on the Tokyo Olympics because I couldn't get to Melbourne because Victoria shut their borders with New South Wales. And you know, everyone was like, oh, you know, this is just terrible and this is awful, and I was like, look, you know, at the end of the day, I'm in a great position. I'm healthy, my family is healthy. Yes, I can't get to some of my family. Yes I can't do my job that I love, Yes I can't do this, that and the other. But there are people dealing with a lot worse and perspective is a great thing. You know, at the end of the day, a shit can hit the fan as much as you walk around you. As you said, your response to that shit hitting the fan is what will either see you thrive or just merely survive a situation.
Speaker 1: I think one of the great things about doing what you did and tips a tips a bit of an athlete. Tip gets in the boxing ring and gets punched in the face. You know, probably not the same Olympic level as you, but she'd kicked the shit out of me, which is not hard. But when you go through hard stuff like you do hard training, you have to be resilient. You have to just find a way. You're constantly working against resistance and you're putting yourself in uncomfortable, kind of crappy situations, which are a necessity of the skill development, fitness development, mindset development to perform at the highest level. But once you've kind of built that capacity and that ability to do hard shit and to be comfortable in the middle of disc I feel like that life beyond whatever that was becomes or is more manageable because you know how to do hard things and survive and thrive.
Speaker 3: I completely agree, and I would have one hundred percent agreed with that statement. But I always used to think when I retired from simming, you know, my first first thought process was, ah, thank God, the hardest thing I'll ever do in my life is behind me, Like, bring on whatever you want, because that nothing can ever be as hard as what I've just done. And then I had a child and that all changed, but for very different reasons. It was it was only physically hard from the sleep deprivation. It was just far more challenging on the emotional and mental side because it was out of my control and I didn't know how to fix it. But I completely agree with you in the fact, and we've also got to separate, you know, be very very honest here. Talk about Jackie Cooper and Lydia Lascilla and even you know, jockeys and to an extent surface like my sport, you were never going to hurt yourself, Like there was never a component of I could not a high risk event, not a high risk event. You know, the worst thing I could possibly do is probably run into the wall at full speed and you know, hurt myself in that sense, or have an asthma attack and drown in the pool, which would be ironic, but you know, you look at these hardcore athletes that when they are competing, they're actually putting their lives at risk. Like that's a whole new mindset, that's a whole new ball game. It's entirety. And I don't possess that component. And I just think, you know, they are the next level of hardcore beings. But it's amazing how you take the sport component away and like what I'm talking about with motherhood or anything else like that, And you know, we all have the same We're all human. We all have things that we think we're going to excel at we actually don't. Or we all think we can apply what we've learned in our life to every scenario going forward and it will always work. And I've always said there is I've very quickly come to learn that hard work doesn't always equal success, that equation doesn't always play out. But you have to find a way, also from your mental state of mind to know that or to be able to say that nine times out of ten it does work, that equation does work. And so I'm banking on the odds.
Speaker 1: Now, I know we've got to go soon because you've got stuff on cuz you're a big deal. I was thinking, I was thinking before we chatted, I wanted to ask you. I've asked a few athletes, and it feels like it sounds like you did this really easily. But a lot of athletes understandably their identity and their sense of self and who they are and their self esteem is top into their sport and their sporting ability. And so I've seen lots of especially athletes who had to retire or were sacked AFL players for example, and their career ended when they didn't think it was going to end and they had just lost, and many of them falling into a depression, like a real mental and emotional funk, and some of them, you know, are suicidal and like don't go well is that do you think that's because you are basically you are, Like what you do in your case, swimming is who you are. It's like like when people would talk to you for a very long time, it would primarily only about be about swimming, training, performance, recovery. Wouldn't be like, oh, what do you think of labor or liberal law? What do you think about paleo ge'm you know, or you know, it's like that, so that's who who you are, and then you wake up one day and you're twenty four and you're like, nah, fuck this.
Speaker 3: I think that's probably where I was a bit different, in the fact that I never just defined myself as an athlete the point where was always something that I did, I loved, and I was good at, but it was never me in my entireety. And you know, especially once you go to an Olympics, nearly every athlete gets the Olympic rings tattooed on themselves and I didn't. And I've never felt the need to. I've never had that desire to have that. And that's not because I'm not proud of it. I don't feel defined by it. I'm incredibly proud of that achievement, but I don't need it on myself to be reminded of it every day to feel proud of myself. It's a comfortable it's a comfortable feeling a pride that I exist with. I don't need to see it to be reminded of it, and I don't need anyone else else to ask me about it to feel proud of it. It just within me. Which again I think is really healthy place to be. I also think one of the biggest problems with transitions from elite athletes is the fact that they don't get to leave, as you said, on their terms. I was very fortunate that I did so the feeling of regret of I could have done more or I wanted to do more is ever prevalent there. I also think, and this might be a little bit controversial, that a lot of male athletes have more of a struggle with life after than female And my take on that is that male athletes, when they're in that elite world, are the most selfish people on the planet. And that sounds really negative when you say it like that, but it's actually what allows them to be so good because they are they are almost able to exist in a world where everyone around them, their support team, their partner, their family, everyone around them exists too support them to achieve their dream, and they are very comfortable with them being the center of that world and everyone existing around them to help them achieve that goal. I think why say male and not female. For the most part, female athletes or females have a natural maternal instinct where we have to also look after that team in the same way that they're looking after us. We have to return the favor if you like. But the problem is is that not only is that thought process encouraged as an elite athlete to be incredibly selfish and to focus only on your dream. It's taught from a very young age, so it becomes a habit, it becomes who you are, it's how you exist. It's encouraged from a young age. So all of a sudden, you retire from your sport, and that is actually not a quality that is revered in any other phase in your life. Relationships don't survive selfishness. The employer is not going to be happy with selfishness. Your family and your team and your partner goes all right, well, I was happy to be that person or that team support for you while you're an elite athlete, but you're not now. So now you're going to do the dishes after dinner, or now you're going to do your laundry, or now you're going to do X, Y and Z, and so all of a sudden, the very thing that made you successful is actually a negative in the next phase of your life. And I think a lot really struggle with that.
Speaker 1: That's so bloody insightful and I agree with you, and as an elite athlete myself, a tip, what do you laughing at? I wish you had a lot more time because your bloody interesting jam. Tell people how to find you, follow you, connect with you, and have you written the book or books.
Speaker 3: I've written a kid's book, so.
Speaker 1: Plug away. Tell people where to connect with you, and buy seventeen of your books.
Speaker 3: The best place for me is I probably solely exist on Instagram. So Giann Rooney on Instagram. Love to have a chat, always up for a chat, and cover a wide variety of topics, just like we have today.
Speaker 1: Craig, will you come back? Absolutely love to bloody oath you better because you're a superstar and you're come at a very good rate. I will say goodbye a fair but thank you so much for being on the you project, your fun and super interesting. And Tiffany and Cook put on some clothes. It's that purple bloody. I don't know if that's typ appropriate. Thanks everyone, Bye, Thanks Greg, Thanks Deev