Speaker 1: Late Welcome to the Late Up Brads. Good evening and welcome to the program. I'm Caleb Bond with Liz Storer and Joe hildebrand Well. One council wants to charge double rates for investors with rental properties. Will tell you where a little bit later. One AFL grade says that we should not refer to concussions but instead brain injuries. We'll get to that in the papers, and also the story of the copper who tried to get his colleague son out of court and instead landed himself in court. But first we told you the story last year of a playground in Collingwood in Melbourne that was given a two million dollar upgrade. Now this is what the playground looked like before the upgrade. You can see here plenty of play equipment, they got the slippery dip. It all looks quite fine. I'm not sure why you need a two million dollar upgrade to that thing, but this is what they got for their two million dollars. I don't think you would argue that that was an improvement. And it would seem that the council that covers Collingwood, which is Yarreck Council, which we have told you about many times. Ah, yeah, it a Greens dominated council. Well they've woken up and realized that for the two million dollars they spend, they didn't really get anything better. So what they're going to do now is spend two hundred and fifty thousand dollars more to actually put some play equipment back in the place. Can you believe it. They're going to get a slide. They had a slide before, but they're going to get a slide. They're going to get a four way rocker, They're going to get a mini trampoline, amongst other things. You know, isn't it great when councils sit down and work out we can really improve this place. Then they don't improve the place, and then they have to spend more money to improve it even further. This is what some local residents thought of it at the time.
Speaker 2: It looked very prison like.
Speaker 3: I thought they'd be a little bit more for the little ones.
Speaker 1: They've delivered possibly the worst playground in Victoria. Except for this bloke who seem to think is good.
Speaker 4: I think it's an improvement. We did ask for some a bigger space. We have got a bigger space. I know that's not a play equipment. But parks aren't just for little children. Did you just miss gender.
Speaker 1: Orry into that last I don't know exactly.
Speaker 3: I don't know she's a woman exactly, because she's exactly Honestly, you are very quite quite right.
Speaker 5: You don't even know her pronounce.
Speaker 1: I'm glad, I'm glad we've got Joseph in me. But anyway, so two million dollars to upgrade the thing, two hundred and fifty one thousand dollars to actually upgrade the thing again and put back the play equipment that they took away. One thing they're not going to take away, though, is this artwork. Now take a look at this and tell me whether you can make sense of what it is. Apparently they're flying jumpers. You know what that cost? Two hundred thousand dollars. So here we are at two million, two hundred and fifty thousand dollars for a playground that didn't need to be upgraded in the first place, then got destroyed. Now they're going to put the play equipment back in it. It has a two hundred thousand dollars money that no wond els, no wonder councils are so trusted and revered and lovely, so no wonder.
Speaker 6: Our raids are going through the roof. They're just bleeding it out. It was also the Yarra Council.
Speaker 7: You may remember what we dubbed the Demonic Banana.
Speaker 6: That was also the Yarra Council.
Speaker 7: That thing was twenty thousand dollars and most residents were happy when someone took a chainsaw to it and tried to get rid of the thing because it was just so done ugly.
Speaker 6: They'd call it fallen Fruit.
Speaker 7: That was its official name, and it was supposed to be, you know, a massive contribution to the part. But people are sick of these ugly things, right. I love the woman who called it prison like because.
Speaker 6: That's exactly what it is.
Speaker 7: We're not getting value for money. How hard is it to just stop spending our money on ugly things?
Speaker 6: Where's the artwork.
Speaker 7: That lifts the human spirit? A thing of beauty is a joy forever. It's not that hard. If something is objectively beautiful and adds to the space and people.
Speaker 3: Look or sky whale, yes, look, you're right, it does. You know, it does look like a prison yard. But you know, playgrounds aren't just about having fun. They're also about learning, and if the playground doesn't look like a prison yard, how are the kids going to learn how to make shives?
Speaker 1: But seriously, two million dollars on something like that, And this is what annoys me about it the most. You know, we're having a lot of.
Speaker 6: That kids with shoes.
Speaker 1: She was promised a good day out and she got a you know, absolutely no.
Speaker 7: Maybe it is an educational facility. They take their kids to the park and say, look, if you don't I don't want to end up in a place like this, make sure you don't commit crime education.
Speaker 3: Say hi, kids, this is a park designed by Joseph Stalin.
Speaker 1: That's right, But how does something like that cost two million dollars? Because we're having a laugh at how ridiculousy on the past, Like, seriously, I think that costs two million dollars to destroy the playground. Then they go on later and go, oh, hang on, we probably shouldn't have taken all that play equipment out, so we've got to spend another two hundred and fifty thousand dollars to bring it back up to scratch, Like it's all good and well, it's not their money, it's your money. It's rate payers money, and so they spend two million.
Speaker 3: Ah, no problem, We're two million on the park as a whole, but only forty thousand dollars on the actual playground, which makes me think that maybe that nice little old man slash lady isn't the only one who hates children in the City of yar account still, but by my calculations, if that playground is forty thousand dollars and the jumper installation art two one hundred thousand dollars, that means these people value jumpers five times as much as they value children, not even not.
Speaker 1: Even real joupers that they could give to homeless people. I mean, ky for some real jumpers in Melbourne would probably go quite fast. But I just want to know again, I've said this many times. I want to get hold of these government contracts, like I'm going to moonlight with some sort of company that can do everything, and I'm going to get a government contract for two million dollars to upgrade parks like that and install public artworks like that for like two hundred kio million.
Speaker 7: And it looks like they ripped out all the trees because the four photo.
Speaker 6: The new one, there's not a bit of shade in space. I mean, look at that, that looks beautiful. Where where's the trees in this photo? There's some sickly looking branch in there shot, but there's no green leafage, whereas even the grass, the grass is gone. You've made two million dollars to.
Speaker 1: Get rid of the grass, So you're saying this is bad for the environment. The Greens women garat Council hate the environment. They hate children, they hate play equipment, and they hate the environment.
Speaker 3: I would seriously be saying, all right, no, these aren't native trees, they're from their imperialist trees. We'll get rid of them and put to navy. They do it. They actually do this, at least in Sydney. We do the decent thing. Just spike the trees. And when we're giving away government contract, we don't waste money on you know, people coming in and ripping up playgrounds and then reinstalling them and then ripping the reinstaller.
Speaker 5: We just get our cousins to do it.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 7: Moving on now, Yesterday the Circuit and Family Court heard from a doctor who's arguing that despite the fact this gender dysphoric child, which has landed this case in the court thought that by being on testosterone she would grow a penis.
Speaker 6: He argues, no, No, she's still.
Speaker 7: Able to show mature thinking in the area of gender. How do you figure that when the prosecutor then argued, well, hang on a.
Speaker 6: Minute, doctor, don't you think that once she discovers that these drugs.
Speaker 7: That you're giving her will not will never have the desired effect. Don't you think that that will further make her mental condition rather unstable?
Speaker 6: The answer from.
Speaker 7: The doctor goes testosterone will cause masculinization, which is what the child would want, which would see an improvement of mental health and a decrease in distress about being misgendered or outed. The article goes on to say the court heard the child told a separate clinician she believed testosterone would grow her clitoress into a penis, but she would not be able to penetrate with it.
Speaker 6: I've said it before, I'll say it again. These doctors belong.
Speaker 7: Behind I would say hell, but I don't get to decide that, so I'll settle for behind bars.
Speaker 6: The butchery that is happening.
Speaker 7: The question is why is Australia dragging its feet as we see jurisdiction after jurisdiction overseas sound the alarm on this. Most recently in March, the UK declared, effective immediately, there would be no more gender transitioning for children, no more puberty blockers, no more testosterone handed out to kids.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 7: The Danes have done the same, the several other jurisdictions, plenty of other governments have inquiries underway. You remember when Senator Pauline Hanson tried to get up and inquiry into what is going on here, because we've now heard from several whistleblow adoptors here in Australia who have then been stood down or otherwise penalized in their practice saying this whole gender affirming care is nonsense. We have depressed the brakes on this and they're just being completely ignored and even punished for saying.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 7: Good on you doctors, very brave for speaking out despite the gost.
Speaker 6: You know you're going to be forced to pay for it.
Speaker 7: They care about the kids more, and yet here in Australia we're just not seeing the same precaution being taken, even if it's like let's temporarily pump the brakes.
Speaker 6: Look into this a bit further. What was the Cast Review. What was in the Cast Review.
Speaker 7: That literally made the UK government turn around and say NHS wide, no more of this, We're done.
Speaker 1: And there was an attempt by Frank Pangelo Upper House INMP in South Australia to have a similar inquiry parliamentary inquiry in South Australia and melanowskis and the Labor Government knock that on the head down there as well. And you look at this case, this chart well clearly does not have a full understanding of what gender transition actually entails. Indeed, and you have a case here of two parents who are on differing sides of this debate. So one parent says that they support their child in going through with treatment and the other parent has said, no, you will grow out of it.
Speaker 6: And that's seventy percent of kids do.
Speaker 1: And this is how it's landed in court because they're having a dispute over what course the child should be allowed to take and for a doctor and all of this the details are suppressed, so you know, we're quite free to talk about this as a court case. For a doctor to get up and say, oh, look, you know, I know that she doesn't really understand what the drugs would do, but I think it would be good for her anyway on the road to becoming a man or trying to become a man. Anyway, if a child, and we know children have a bad understanding of many things most times, do we persist with this idea that it is okay and that they are able to grasp a concept as complex and dangerous potentially and burniness and say that that's fine. Like if how does a doctor actually stand there in a courtroom and say, I think it's a good idea for a kid who doesn't really understand this medication to be taken.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've got to say I find this very very disturbing. It raises more questions than it answers. I think, for one thing, we don't know the age of the child, so you know, to me, not to have an understanding of what testosterone.
Speaker 5: Would do, and to think that it would just make.
Speaker 3: You sort of spontaneously grow literally grow a pair, grow a pair, I would think you would have to be either very very young or have some serious mental issues, which perhaps you know. Again, raises another avenue of inquiry for this, the fact that the parents are disagreeing over this. It's a pretty big thing. To disagree on.
Speaker 5: Isn't it whether your child is a boy or a girl.
Speaker 3: That makes me think it's quite difficult to imagine the parents together still, And so therefore, is this a case where the kid is being pulled in two different directions by parents who are fighting with each other, and the kid is kind of being it's really diserving. And I think certainly if you look at the sort of hypocritic Earth principle, which is, you know, first do no harm, this seems to be you know, you would think. And again I think there are cases where clearly people are born in a genda. I know people who are clearly born in agenda. They don't hear, but it is extremely rare, and this kind of stuff does not seem to me to be taking the ultra cautious approach and making sure that you are first doing no harm, that you are absolutely one hundred percent sure that this is, you know, a boy trapped in a girl's body or a girl trapped in a boy's body. So this, yeah, And to be honest, this this kind of attitude that the doctor it seems to have expressed, is the sort of thing my wife works.
Speaker 5: Forquirded in Australia.
Speaker 3: So she's publicly you know, supportive of trans riots, so just to declare that as a conflict of interest. But this sort of thing, I would think does far more harm to cause than good. And so people think they're out there, Oh yeah, we're just going to you know, we'll show the world how prevalent it is, and you know, give all people, you know, the benefit of the doubt on their gender and whatever they say will just accept and be gender affirming care is what they call it when it comes to things like this. I think that is actually making people think, hang on, these guys are just cowboys, making it up as they go along.
Speaker 1: And this is the distinction, right. I mean, you're an adult, do what you want. It's really none of my business. But when you are talking about children who of course don't have full mental capacity yet who under law are not allowed to do most things. They can't drink, they can't go off to war, etc. And somehow we think that they are capable to make decisions, doable decisions about their bodies in terms of trying to gender transition. Have listened to Florida Governor Ron DeSantis talking about this following a recent court case in his state in the United States.
Speaker 8: Because it's wrong to mutilate minors.
Speaker 5: It is wrong.
Speaker 8: It is wrong to perform a sex change on a sixteen year old. You're not allowed to get a tattoo, but somehow you can have your privates cut off.
Speaker 5: Give me a break. This is wrong.
Speaker 1: And we've just been so slow, as you were suggesting earlier and Liz to get on the uptake on this because the rest of the world is starting to wake up.
Speaker 5: To you can't have surgery in Australia.
Speaker 1: You can't have surgery, but you can have other treatment via medica that you know the.
Speaker 7: Development not And there's been a lot of people inquiring are you actually telling the kids that this can have permanent results, because the myth about puberty blockers is oh, we're just going to press pause on puberty. That's not how your body works. And a lot of the times what this drug does is permanent. So you're not asking a child are you prepared to be sterile for the rest of your life, because that is one of the side effects that can come from this and many studies show that. And when you have something as comprehensive as the cast review in the UK that says, quote, not enough evidence to support the safety or clinical effectiveness of these hormones end quote. Why isn't Australia state or federally going well, hang on a minute, maybe we should do a double take as well.
Speaker 6: It is pure negligence. It is pure negligence.
Speaker 7: And at a time when we know that the cases of gender desire euphoria have risen hundreds of fold in Australia because of the social contagion, this is being sold to kids on social media and other avenues. It's seen as something that should be celebrated.
Speaker 6: It sets you apart.
Speaker 7: It's an identity that you can easily adopt, etc.
Speaker 6: And so on.
Speaker 7: This is the time when we have to be so vigilant about something like this, and nobody except.
Speaker 6: For the brave doctors who have had the gonads to speak up about it seems to care.
Speaker 1: And it's a duty of care to the kids, right. And then you go beyond that and look at adults who are transgender. And when we get to things like sport, we often talk about fairness and of course you know you have biological women and potentially competing against biological men who now say they are a woman. Going hang on a minute, this is not fair over here. And FEENA, which is the World Swimming body, woke up to this back in twenty twenty two and they made a decision that biological men who transition to women will not be able to compete at a professional level, and rightly so. But because one of the most famous transgender swimmers in the world is Lea Thomas from the United States. Now, Lea Thomas is a man ranked in the mid five hundreds in the US. Best result ever was sixty fifth in a race, then transitions to a woman and wins a college title. So you're quite entitled to ask the question, well, maybe do you have an advantage here? Well, following the decision that was made by Leah, Thomas went off to the Court of Arbitration for Sport to try and get the ability to compete in the Olympics. Well, I'm glad to report that the Court of Arbitration for Sport has come back and said, no, the FENA rules stand. You are not allowed to compete because it is entirely legitimate to say that a transgender athlete has an advantage over a biological woman. Former swimming champ from Britain, Sharon Davies lauded the decision today said good no elite female athlete will have to lose out to this mediocre six foot four male swimmer. Transgender swimm lead Thomas out of Olympics, out to losing legal battle, et cetera, et cetera. Kate Campbell, of course, is an Australian swimmer, spoke about this decision from Feena back in twenty twenty two, and I think her comments then stand just as much now.
Speaker 2: It is my hope that young girls all around the world can continue to dream of becoming Olympic and World champions in a female category, prioritizing the competitive cornerstone of fairness.
Speaker 1: And thank goodness the court has upheld this because it's the first test of a rule like this, and I think it now sets the president that should be followed by every sporting league around the world, which is that, at the very least, at the professional level, transgender athlete, transgender women, biological men should not be competing against biological women.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you would think so. I've really sort of I need to get my head around this one, because you've sort of there needs to be Oh no, no, obviously it's crazy for someone with you know, someone who's gone through male puberty, who clearly was a competitive swimmer as a man, wasn't doing very well and then miraculously reappears, which you can.
Speaker 7: See if I believe we've got some footage of Lega Thomas here.
Speaker 6: I mean you can.
Speaker 1: The The.
Speaker 7: Problem becomes very clear just upon sizing up someone's physicality ye.
Speaker 5: Again, think.
Speaker 7: Him and celebrating his win next to women who looked like midgets next to him.
Speaker 6: I'll never forget that graphic. Yeah, I remember it very plainly.
Speaker 5: I remember it very well.
Speaker 3: But again, you know, obviously there's a huge discrepancy within men and within women. Like you know, you can have a seven foot basketball player who is going to be much better than a five foot bus and yet.
Speaker 7: We can't name one trans man who's trying to compete with men because they know it's all it's.
Speaker 6: Always the men who want to play with the women. It's always the men.
Speaker 1: Maybe they should just write the men.
Speaker 5: Maybe they should just be male female other.
Speaker 6: I agree.
Speaker 7: They said let's have an open category so they can still.
Speaker 5: Let's make it happen.
Speaker 6: They can compete with each other.
Speaker 3: Let's make it happen well, because it hasn't They've just that was just one thing that was suggested.
Speaker 5: But look, it should and I think they should where you can take all the steroids you want.
Speaker 1: But well they're actually doing doing that. The what are they call it, the enhanced games? I cannot wait to s you.
Speaker 3: Could put them age, you could have the enhanced trans game.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, we could do whatever you are really poss.
Speaker 1: But it's also I think the arrogance of someone like Leah Thomas to then say, okay, that the decision has been made and I'm now still going to push at every opportunity to be able to swim in the pool with biologue women like get the message, buddy, you're not welcome here because we're talking about fairness. And I know the point you raise that there is vast difference between various women and various men, But the line has to be drawn somewhere, and every scrap of evidence, every piece of data you can look at, shows very clearly that the average swim times of biological women do not stack up to the average swim times of biological men competitively, like the men beat women in every single category of swimming. Ever, every world record held in swimming by a man is faster than the equivalent world record held by a biological woman through the.
Speaker 5: Room.
Speaker 1: Look there is something where we were going. There are some fan all women. Imagine if we banned women's tennis. I quite like watching the women's tennis because it is an example of where the women I don't watch it. I enjoy women's tennis.
Speaker 6: They never make it to five three, and I reckon they.
Speaker 1: Should make them play five sets. I'll tell you the others what's wrong with that. The other sport I quite enjoy is women's golf, and again, the women's swings are shorter, their drives are shorter than the men. But watching women's golf is basically imperceptible to men's golf, except that the drives a little bit shorter. So there are examples where women's sport can be just as good as men's sport. Others like a fl that I think pretty well.
Speaker 3: There's no one sport I really like. I don't know if you guys are into it is male netball.
Speaker 1: I've never watched male netball. It's actually not at a professional level. But there are, like there are men's a few community community grow you might have to go and play some of that men's netball to take your mind off the cost of housing in this country at the moment. We've got a list today of the most expensive or the most unaffordable cities for housing in the English speaking world, and can you believe it? Side note, Yes you can that three of the cities in the top ten in Australia. Hong Kong was the number one most unaffordable city in the English speaking world, but it then goes second Sydney. What a surprise. It says on the screen that Adelaide's the first. It's not, but will ignore it ninth, So Sydney, Melbourne is seventh, Adelaide is ninth and Brisbane is thirteenth. So in the top fifteen cities in the world with the most unaffordable housing, Australia has four of them. Anglicare Australia Executive Director Casey Chambers spoke exactly not the singer don't think, but I kind of wish it was. She says, it's the worst it's ever been. This is not hyperbole. It is Australia's new normal. Results have never been so bad for on the minimum wage, with affordability having over the last year. Now baga being on the minimum wage. It's not even good for someone who's earning one hundred even one hundred and fifty thousand dollars a year in a city like Sydney. I think the latest numbers that we saw was something like for an average house to be affordable in Sydney, you've got to be earning at least one hundred and eighty six the yeah, it is. It is beyond a joke.
Speaker 3: Now even double income, white collar professional families now they are saying struggling to be And I'm not surprised.
Speaker 5: I'm on a very good wik at these days, and I.
Speaker 3: Am honestly there's not a day goes by that I don't stress about going backwards. And you know, it's and if I'm thinking that, you know, right at the top of the pile, just imagine what people who are just eking out an existence week to week are thinking. I know from you know, Salvos and Vineys and food bank. You know, we've we've got people you know otherwise, you know, once we're perfectly average, all middle class people going to Viney's or the Salvos, never never had to rely on charity ever before. And now they're going there literally just to ask for food so they could put literally to put food on the table. Now, how that can happen? I mean, Food Bank did this incredible report that you wrote about a few months ago, where you know, vast numbers of one thousand, pine thousand of family, a huge proportion one in five. I think at times we're struggling to put food on the table, or we're going hungry so that their kids could eat and wouldn't know that there wasn't enough food for everybody.
Speaker 5: It is absolutely staggering.
Speaker 3: Having said all that, Adelaide is awesome, and I'm so glad it's finally getting.
Speaker 5: The recognition.
Speaker 3: I said for the last Adelaide is the city of the future. It's like Melbourne before Melbourne got too core for school.
Speaker 1: You are so right, and look, I always proselytize about how good Adelaide is being a former Adelaide boy, and like, it's quite staggering to see Edelaide on a list like this. You go, you know, normally you think of oh, Adelaide's a lot cheaper than everywhere else, and I used to tell everyone that it was, but it's not now fundamentally because people have packed up from place is like Melbourne and Sydney, and they've gone to places like Brisbane and Adelaide because they realized if you were an early adopter, they realized, well, you know, I could spend two million dollars on some you know, three one bedroom in Sydney if I'm lucky, or for two million dollars over in Adelaide, I've got a really nice subs on a good piece of property really close to the city. But of course people realize that, so they started doing it quite significantly, and now all the prices have gone up, which is great for me because I owned property in Adelaide. So keep going there and keep pumping the city up. And it's great if you own property in Adelaide before that. But people in Adelaide, who were some of the only ones in the country who actually felt growing up that they might be able to buy a house when they left school and went to work, even they now are going, well, heck as will be in Sydney.
Speaker 5: It's zepod.
Speaker 6: No, you don't want to be in Sydney.
Speaker 7: This is actually the fifteenth time in sixteen years Sydney has made the top three of the most expense cities.
Speaker 6: In the world.
Speaker 7: Not the country in the world to try and buy a home.
Speaker 6: To break these numbers down, Sydney.
Speaker 7: Has the Sydney prices are thirteen point eight times the average income.
Speaker 6: Again, who the heck can afford that?
Speaker 7: Adelaide is the same as the national average, which is nine point seven times the average income. Interestingly, this annual DEMOGRAPHYA study said that there has been a strong association between severely unaffordable housing and net migration. So I know you disagree, Joe, but this study is on the money, I believe, and it spoke about at length about the deterioration of the middle class as a result, and that is what we are looking at here in Australia as more and more people simply cannot afford a home. For decades, the hallmark of a healthy middle class was the ability to be able to build a home, and as early as the nineteen nineties fascinating report read it if you can. As early as the nineteen nineties they say that the average price of the home was just let me get this right, three times or less than the average household income. So in the space of thirty years we are now looking at three times plus more than that, and nobody can afford it.
Speaker 3: No, that's right, was exactly I was going to say, just that I remember looking at this easy.
Speaker 5: So in the in the eighties.
Speaker 3: And even the early nineties, as you say, it was the average house was three times the average annual wage.
Speaker 5: So in other words, if you worked.
Speaker 3: For three years and didn't spend any money, didn't eat or whatever, took all that money, you'd be able to afford to buy it that you'd be able to buy a house outright. And now it is, you know again thirteen times in Sydney, So you would have to be able to afford to.
Speaker 5: Buy a house. You don't have to.
Speaker 3: Work NonStop, not have anything else what he is for thirty years, which is almost as long as you know. Some homelans were, Yes, exactly, it is crazy.
Speaker 1: And of course, if you can't afford to buy a house, the only alternative is for you to rent. And you want to hope up renting in Mery Beeck Council in Melbourne at the moment, because my god, they voted last night to investigate the idea of charging double rates on rental property. So if you are a property investor who owns a house or a unit or whatever in Merribek Council. And let's never forget that mary Beck is a made up name. They changed it from Morland Council to mary Beck Council because mary Beck was meant to be some Aboriginal word. And then an Aboriginal elder told the Herald Son that mary Beck didn't actually exist in the language. So to just let that scene it. This is the sort of virtue signaling council we're talking about here, right, so that they now want to charge landlord's double rates. And the only way they can do that, and this is how they're going to try and get away with it, is to then charge people who own their homes outright half the rates they can at the moment, because in Victoria they have rate capping, so the council is only allowed to take a certain amount of money out of rates that's mandated by the state government. So in order for them to charge landlord's double rates, it means they have to charge actual homeowners half rates. And if you're an actual homeowner, you probably go, oh, that's great, I'm really happy, I'll take my half rates, and why wouldn't you, But just think for a moment. The thirty four point seven percent of households in mery Beck that are renting. Who do you think is going to end up paying this double rates. It's not going to be the landlord. It's going to be the renter. So there's the council all high and mighty, and the councilor who got this over the line James Conlan, he was a former Green himself. Now is easy independent, I know. So he's saying we're gonna charge him double and that'll get all the property investors out of Merrybeck. No, they're just going to pass the cost on to the renters who are already paying through the nose to live in your councils. They found another way to make odds.
Speaker 3: I couldn't do that, Caleb, because of course, if they juck up the rents and all those rental properties, then the renders are just going to go out and rent somewhere else. Because there's so many rental properties on the market. It's not like they're completely stuck where they are and have no choice but to pay the higher rent because the rental market is tighter than it. Oh you can't say that, I'm.
Speaker 6: Telling you as well, very very tight.
Speaker 7: Check out this quote though from independent counselor James Conlin, who seems to have absolutely no understanding of the way things work. Here he is slamming the counselors who voted against his motion. He said it was interesting to see which counselors chose to side with those felthy property investors instead of local residents and businesses by choosing not to give them a massive rate cut. One counselor actually said that, quote property investors are improving the rental market. End quote, property investors are improving the.
Speaker 6: Rental market grow without them. James Codlin, how do you think this actually works?
Speaker 7: Prompts to this much calmer than me, bloke from the community who rocked up to the council meeting to try and explain this in a very calm way.
Speaker 9: To James Conlin and his kind, increasing the rates will result in an increase in property for first time bias may well be correct, but unfortunately there's a lot of other people who will be subsequently disappointed and no longer being able to reside in which is quite an attractive area. Short term advantages in one area mean other people will be disadvantaged. Also, just as a final point, consider it quite inappropriate to be treated differently as a rate payer from other rate payers in this area, solely because I'm providing property for other people to live in.
Speaker 7: Here here, buddy, I mean, how is this You're paying for roads rates and rubbish. So your status as whether you're a renter or a home buyer or a owner occupier, it really shouldn't affect your rates, right, I mean, isn't Isn't that just common sense?
Speaker 3: Like you write, it's more inflator than that gentleman's puffa jacket, it is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's right. That's good to see.
Speaker 3: The council seems to have gleaned an indication of how popular this policy would be by installing security glass exactly, rage brothers, just.
Speaker 5: That chicken wire. But you know.
Speaker 3: Again, it is just it is just this staggering inability of the Greens to actually understand how the economy works, how markets work, like how things actually happen. Like who do they think owns all the houses that people live in?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 3: Do they think it's the government? Of course they say the government should just build more houses.
Speaker 1: It's just say. And just to make that is a little bit worse. In Victoria, they've just jacked up the insurance on building a new home as well. It's gone up sixty five percent. So as if you thought it wasn't difficult enough to build by rent a house in Victoria got Marybeck Council. You've got the state government, absolutely everyone.
Speaker 7: The state government we were talking about just earlier this week, who have mounted a proposal now to put all these extortionate measures that are supposed to make homes more energy efficient in the name of climate communism upon landlords.
Speaker 6: So if you own a house in Victoria.
Speaker 7: Now they're like, well, you've got to get these shower heads and you've got to seal this up, and you've got it.
Speaker 6: There were several dot points that are going to cost.
Speaker 7: Landlords tens of thousands of dollars to do. It seems as if we are deliberately absolutely smashing the ease of the middle class, because, as we know, the vast majority our mom and dad in Vestas, they're not rich people sitting in high back chesterfields smoking cigars.
Speaker 6: And chuckling at poor people. They're just trying to get ahead themselves.
Speaker 3: I think clearly Melbourne is deeply, deeply worried about Adelaide catching up to it on the housing unaffordability index. I know you don't you get back there. Yeah, we'll slap on some risers, slap on the insurance hike.
Speaker 5: You'll never catch up.
Speaker 7: Just before we go to an ad break, we'd just like to say rest in peace Star Wars, because although you've had a good run and have known great fame. The latest installation called What is It Go The Acolyte shows in the third episode two lesbian witches conceiving a child using the Force.
Speaker 10: Power What horror, the Power, the Power Power to the Power, Disney, What have you done to one of the biggest and best franchises in the history of film?
Speaker 11: This is just I can't even with all the dark, witchy lesbian how many how many LGBTQ diversity boxes can you tick?
Speaker 6: They are going for gold.
Speaker 3: The worst part is it's not even accurate, because I've googled lesbian witches heath throughout my life and that is not what comes up.
Speaker 1: If only having a child conceiving a child was that easy, the fertility rate wouldn't be so bad as it is right now after the break. Should concussions be referred to not as concussions but brain injuries? Afil Great links to put into that and other things in the paper's Next, let's get into the papers, starting with the Canberra Times tomorrow.
Speaker 6: It's a rare day. We start with the Canberra.
Speaker 7: Times, but slim pickings. What can we say, deep fake.
Speaker 1: Bill' rap for the Camera Times?
Speaker 6: Since when do we talk of the Camera Time?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I mean it is poor old canbra but still.
Speaker 7: Anyway, Camera I'm sorry to everyone in Canberra, but I wouldn't.
Speaker 6: Recommend that place to a dog I didn't like.
Speaker 7: Australia's Children's Commissioner has queried a bill that could jail kids as young as ten for sharing sexually explicit images, including AI generated deep fakes, without consent. This government bill was introduced by the Attorney General last week and she's got some serious issues with it as it carries with it a maximum penalty of seven years jail. Now it's I don't believe it's actually directed at children, but it just includes children in the bill.
Speaker 6: That's my understanding. Upon reading this.
Speaker 3: Trefaz has said that potentially it could include children, but I would be dealt with as children all are under the law and no child is going to be given a.
Speaker 5: Seven year prison sentence.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and it seems to be I think, a trojan horse for a campaign to raise the age of criminality, the agent which kids can be potentially dealt with, prosecuted, prosecuted and incarcerated from ten to fourteen. So, in a weird kind of way, the Children's Commissioner has gone in to defend the ability of kids between the age of ten and fourteen sharing deep fake pawn online.
Speaker 5: Which normally you would think you would be against.
Speaker 3: Executive the Children's Commissioner out exactly as an argument as to why the law of criminal responsible, the level of criminal of criminal responsibility, should be raised from ten to fourty.
Speaker 6: It is.
Speaker 1: It's a weird, weird fill to die on.
Speaker 5: It's a weird health because what we are talking about.
Speaker 1: What we're talking about here is people sharing what is referred to as revenge porn. So you know, you have a nude photograph of a former partner or someone who's consensually given it to you, and then at a later date you non consensually share that, which is of course disgusting behavior and absolutely should be dealt with by the law. But you've now got this thing, and there was a case this week, I forget which school it was, but a school where kids had shared photographs of a teacher with her face transfixed over a nude body via this deep fake AI pawn to make it look like the teacher was in a pornographic image and film and things like that should absolutely be outlawed. Now, if a twelve year old is doing that, you can't tell me that a twelve year old doesn't have an understanding of the fact that what they are doing.
Speaker 3: Is absolutely no way in the world a twelve year old would be jailed.
Speaker 1: No exactly, It's just it's a very strange situation I think.
Speaker 3: Indeed, tell you what, it's also strange. John Septka to the Odds Today, John setneca you will recall, has gone after Stephen mcbernie, who is a former building industry watchdog who's now the chair of the AFL Umpiring Arm, and he said that if he doesn't resign, or if the AFL doesn't sack him, basically, the CFMU will do a go slow on every single project the AFL is involved in, including the Tasmanian Stadium. You're all up to speed, okay, Well, Today, Victorian CFMU leader John Setka has defied calls from Anthony Albanezi and Workplace Relations Minister Tony Burke to abandon his bitter dispute with the afl vowing to proceed with a work to rule campaign to disrupt league projects. And the headline there is Setca reminds PM who is leeping boss. Awesome headline, Awesome story. But I can tell you for a fact that and the alban is the boss of John and Setka. And the Albanzi and John Setka have a history that goes back decades, years and years and years and years and years. Setka at one party function basically should we just say made his displeasure known to Albow over some factional dispute. I can't remember exactly what it was. They're from opposing factors. Strangely enough, I hope I get this right. Albow is from the hard left, which is actually the moderate left wing faction, and Setta and the CFM you are from the soft left, also known in New South waleses the Ferguson Left, which are in fact the more hardcore and militantly so they're called the opposite of what they are.
Speaker 5: Sandwiched. You need a map and a hot lunch for this.
Speaker 6: Way, So the hard left is actually.
Speaker 3: Hard left, the more moderate, and the so called soft left is the more is the more hard core.
Speaker 1: I'm glad.
Speaker 3: There's also there's also an industrial left in Victoria, so maybe they change.
Speaker 5: Maybe that's the industrial He's.
Speaker 1: Also the socialist left anyway, anyway.
Speaker 3: That left is all of these are the two subfactions of the socialist set anyway point being, but anyway point being. Albo you know took except because feedback in his stride and when he was Prime Minister immediately kicked him out of the Labor Party.
Speaker 1: It's it's a quotes room secret in this story. And he never fails to deliver on this account at the very least, and you know, at least there's one thing, one good thing you can say about him is he creates headlines. He said, we know how the system works, probably a bit better than Tony Burke does. The campaign's not stopping one bit. We're going to have We're not going to have politicians tell us who we can go after and who we can't. It's some of their business. He then goes on to say, isn't that like.
Speaker 5: The definition of what the government?
Speaker 6: I know?
Speaker 3: Actually he meant to do he tell who I can and can't bash who I can't.
Speaker 1: We're not taking any industrial action. We don't need to. We can just work the hours that are required for us to work for the work and the jobs EFT. We respect that mister Albinezy and mister Burger there to rule for all Australians, but we've got an obligation to our members to square the ledger. For what mister mcbernie did, I mean, for goodness sake, and.
Speaker 3: This is why his members love him as well. I think we've taken over the South Australian brand. He did Tasmania in South Australia.
Speaker 1: Now and they're in a world of pain down there. It has to be said. Now. The story in the front of the Yours tomorrow extraordinary. This am z's postcode loans lottery. The am Z is struggling, shrugging, sorry, struggle again, he said. Struggling is what you're doing if you're trying to get home light At the moment, the Ange he's shrugging off fears of rising mortgage stress to implement a controversial policy that allows wealthy customers based in one hundred and forty five postcodes, including Point Piper and two rac to borrow up to ninety five percent of a property's value without mortgage insurance, and of course at the moment it's twenty percent for most people. So what they're saying is, we think you're okay, you'll be able to borrow the money on a five percent deposit.
Speaker 5: Now, it's good.
Speaker 3: They're making property and homes more affordable for the people who can most afford them.
Speaker 7: Further to destroying the middle class. It's less opportunity for people trying to get up.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's just it's so obvious what's going on there. It is ridiculous.
Speaker 3: The teals will be up in arms because these are both TiAl electrics, point pipery the electroc So I'm sure the teals will be fighting for this vital goes to show brain.
Speaker 5: The teals will be out there for the struggling that would never condone.
Speaker 1: Of course they will herald Sam Tomorrow, says Brainstorm. Former Demon's Great and AFL commentator Gary Lyon is called full time on concussions, saying from now on he will describe them as what they are, brain injuries. He argues that brain injuries suggests it's more serious than concussions rattling around in your head and it needs to be treated as seriously as that seems like a sure fire way to scare kids off playing football is.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well that's what they've tried to do, haven't they.
Speaker 7: And we've seen the Little league, so to speak, start to adopt this kind of thing, which I don't know when it's a contact sport.
Speaker 1: I just think you've got to accept that there is a certain level of danger.
Speaker 6: Indeed, otherwise what's the point of it.
Speaker 1: After the break, we'll tell you about the copper who tried to get his colleague son out of trouble and in the process he's got himself into trouble. What a ducts that's coming up? All right, let's give dunce of the day to Senior Constable Tom Harper. This fellow pulled over one of his colleague sons who admitted that he had been drinking. So he pulled out the breath of laser and put it in his face and asked him to count to ten, except he turned the breath olaza around so that the reading would not be caught, and then told him to drive off. And so for trying to do his mate's son a favor. He actually lent and did himself in court for not doing his job properly. So seeing your comfortable, Tom Harper, well done. You really did yourself a favor on that day, didn't you.
Speaker 7: I'm sorry, renowned, you're doing a matter favor. Well before we leave you tonight, women dumb enough to believe in white male privilege were actually asked to give an example of said privilege, and here's how that went down.
Speaker 1: We're tired of straight white men having the power and everything, you know, and it's like, we don't have the same privileges that are offered to straight white men.
Speaker 12: Talk to me about what some of those privileges are I think, I mean.
Speaker 3: I don't I know, have you ever experienced like a specific.
Speaker 4: Instance, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I also need to I know.
Speaker 6: I do need to go.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, talk to you about some of the privileges that white.
Speaker 6: Men are awarded that you guys are.
Speaker 12: Not awarded, like I guess, just getting away with situations like if I were to like, I don't know, like.
Speaker 11: I guess, you can't describe it, can you, because it doesn't exist. In fact, they're one of the most demonized demographics nowadays.
Speaker 6: It's actually ridiculous. How do you guys feel about your white male privilege?
Speaker 7: How's it how recently?
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, Liz, I can't answer the question.
Speaker 5: I've got to go. You gotta go, I gotta go.
Speaker 1: I mean, isn't it. It's so funny when you put these people on the spot, and it's like all the dopes have been protesting at the front of the UNIS in their bloody encampments, you know, oh pro Palestine. No, you have no idea why you're actually then, and you put them on the spot. Oh yeah, So what do you know about her mass? Who's her mass? Is that what you spread with?
Speaker 3: I'm not sure if these guys really want to know what straight white men get away with, though, and they don't come to my place for dinner.
Speaker 7: And nobody take him up on that offer. Please, we do not want any Joe that could lend you in court now.
Speaker 3: Actually, I'll get away with it because I'm a straight white.
Speaker 1: Man exactly, and I want Joe to come back and give us a full blown report after away, Joe, thank you for filling all and James mcperson will be back next week. That's it from us tonight, panning his show good guys,