Speaker 1: Well, hello there. Thank you for joining us today on this body and soul podcast called healthy Ish. I hope you are feeling healthy ish. Of course. I am Felicity Halle and I am joined today by the delightful, effervescent and well supremely talented Delta Gudroom and we are talking about how she maintains well her health, the health of her voice, and also balance when she is always on the road. If you do like what you hear from Delta, make sure you listening to our sister podcast, Extra healthy Ish, where she talks about the lessons she's learned on the eve of turning forty. You can catch that wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Delta.
Speaker 1: It's so lovely having you back on here. Thank you for joining us again on healthy Ish.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me again. I feel wanted to be able to do this again with your Felicity.
Speaker 1: Loved you, the listeners loved you so yeah. Looking forward to talking about your health and wellness. Well, non negotiables. I mean, you're in La at the moment. You kind of pick your life up and move to different cities, you know, for a period of time. How do you navigate health around this you know.
Speaker 2: What it does.
Speaker 3: I would say I've even learned so much since the last time we spoke, because I think I'm learning new boundaries as time goes on, and what I can and can't do with my time, and just going okay, you know what I can do this or I can't.
Speaker 2: I think that that's definitely been.
Speaker 3: The sportsman that has had to be able to travel as much as we do and then get into the rhythm of you know, I know my body.
Speaker 2: When it comes to jet lag.
Speaker 3: It's like, okay, I have to stay on the same time for that first three days.
Speaker 2: I have to get into a country and stay on the at eight am.
Speaker 3: We've chosen eight am was when I get up. This is the time to go to bed. And just really still trying to prioritize my voice with so many shows, like just trying to work out when I can because I'm a chatter box.
Speaker 1: So you know, that's always been a what does that? What does that involve? Looking after your voice? How do you look after your voice?
Speaker 3: I mean so much it is you know, you have your steamer which you're constantly trying to keep hydrated in your voice. You'll notice, you know a lot of artists when you go into their room they've got these humidifiers a lot of the time. Or it's setting an environment where, you know, amongst sort of going out and having so much energy, you also have like a peaceful environment.
Speaker 2: Even if it's in.
Speaker 3: A motel in the middle of Scotland where we were last like a couple of weeks ago, and it's freezing, you silk, You set up your little little things that make it feel like home and you can recover. Just environments where you can recover. That is where what I definitely kind of continue to work out. But you always has to have quiet time. It has to be hydrated, it has to be warmed up and stretched like a normal muscle. You know, there is so many specs to it being having to be looked after.
Speaker 1: So you know, talked a bit about recovery, and I think that's really interesting because so much we think about that in terms of sports men and women, you know context. But you're right, you have to be on, you're energetic, you're up, so what do you do when you're down?
Speaker 2: You've alice. You've always has to warm up and it has to cool down.
Speaker 3: It is exactly the same as a muscle and I think that there's there's this psychology that I think with musicians because it is a heart space and a sort of a communication between listener and between artists in the words that are you know, maybe speaking to that person in that moment in their life.
Speaker 2: I think that it's.
Speaker 3: Sort of as a it's not as highlighted as a you know, as the kind of craft of the lift off before you get on stage, which is really important. I was watching on Jovi's documentary and he was dealing with You're constantly dealing with just keeping inflammation down, like exactly the same as muscles. So being on tour is a lot of just making sure that you can that your body and physicality can sort of be able to wind down and also.
Speaker 2: Be able to amp up and get ready for for a show.
Speaker 1: You almost need like something written on your palm. I can't talk right now? How do you actually not talk?
Speaker 3: The only way that I can do that is by isolating myself. That's kind of I've I Otherwise, I know I will want to chime in and you know, play, you know. So the only my biggest recovery is like having a day where I watch.
Speaker 2: A TV show and I zone in like it's the only way I can just stop.
Speaker 3: And actually, you know, I think a lot of girls, you know, I know, you know, so if it's like get on the trash TV or something that can completely zone me out and you know, do my work on my laptop and be quiet.
Speaker 1: Do you have a favorite trash TV show?
Speaker 2: Well, of course it's you know, like I'm at the moment, I'm into love is blind. You know, it doesn't love that. I love them all on to a bus.
Speaker 3: When we wish and I recently I was forcing all the all the band to watch a perfect match.
Speaker 2: That was love it. Now I didn't appreciate it as much as I had hoped. I'm watching the Castle after that?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, make everyone watch the castle. Great idea. Yeah, now, he did tell us last year, you've learned how important it is to you know, have balanced but also have fun. How is balanced looking this time round? Because you know, life ebbs and flows, we have the ups and downs. Are you feeling balanced? So to speak?
Speaker 3: Now? I think I think that that came into my life from love in my life as well from my partner. But but I think now it's more it's an enchapter of I'm feeling really inspired, really creative, and enjoying so much work coming to a place where you're right, the enjoyment had stepped in, and now I'm sort of just moving with my passion and wherever that flows into, I'll give it my everything for that, and also, you know, allowing projects to to you know, just kind of making the album if it's making the show, if it's I'm just really enjoying.
Speaker 2: That, or being on the road, or or you know, or.
Speaker 3: When we made the commercial recently, or like whatever it is. We I sort of just move where move where the passion is.
Speaker 1: Watch Out Delta is in her inspiration era. We like error. Now, can we just take a moment to talk about that magnificent dress you wear in the new optasad That is just beautiful? Do you ever get sick of wearing these amazing dresses?
Speaker 2: No? Absolutely no I don't. I very very.
Speaker 3: Grateful, my beautiful, my beautiful friend Maggie who talked to tool Addict and she made that dress for the Optus commercial. Do you know the crazy thing? I had done an Optus commercial in nineteen ninety three, so that was I had done one when I was about seven years old. It's one of my first ever commercials, and I had a gold dress that I still have in storage no way, and it was made for that and then I and then cut to thirty years later and I, I'm getting to have this beautiful dress with the team for this TV commercial.
Speaker 2: So it was.
Speaker 3: Really lovely to have a fully interesting, full circle moment again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like that. Now just quickly be before we go for any listeners. You know, looking at you, you've got a busy life, and you know you're managing the demands of career and health and time for yourself. What does just going back to the idea of balance, what does it look like for you a balance life?
Speaker 2: I mean every I mean I always say everything in moderation, but it is.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm probably I probably tip a little bit more. I do tend to work a lot, I am. I've always been like that. I've always been an energizer buddy, and I got that from my mom. My mom and dad both worked very hard. But at the same time, the balance is that you know, I do get to the gym, I do get to you know, go We went for a high essay.
Speaker 2: It was but it was boiling hot and I was like this is too hot. The balance is off on the temperature here. But I do you know, I enjoy all the small things as.
Speaker 3: Well as in like I enjoy just a beautiful cup of coffee, and I know that sounds. I love having my morning coffee. I love having my little just time to you know, seat of the piano and reflect or. My version of balance is having the moment in the tour of us where I can watch a girly show for me, you know, or having the balance of you know, just I do feel like we have a balance because I because I get to work with a Matt as well. We find our balance of our friends kind of travel with us as well. We have to bring family, you know, and that's kind of it's a bit of a gypsy life.
Speaker 2: But we make sure.
Speaker 3: That while we're in oz we celebrate our friends and see them and you know, all their milestones, and that's, you know, we find a way to have our version of balance. Everybody has their own version of what fills their cup up, and I think we do a good job at finding that.
Speaker 2: For us as well.
Speaker 1: Delta, thank you for coming unhealthy.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: What's your version of balance? Interesting isn't it when you get so clear on what a balanced life looks like for you and then when you're off kilter. Oh hell, you know it, don't you. Anyway? I hope you enjoy this chat with Delta and by the way, her magnificent dress in Optic's seven day free network trial advert. Oh it's worth a look. Check it out. If you did enjoy this chat, make sure you rate and review it, or you can subscribe to this podcast, share this app with a friend someone who is a fan of Delta, or aren't we all fans of Delta after listening to that chat with her? Anything else? Head body insoul dot com dot you followus on socials or our print edition which is out in your local Sunday paper and until tomorrow, Stay Healthy is