Speaker 1: I get a team.
Speaker 2: Welcome to another in storming the show, Tiffany and Cook, Patrick, James Bonello, Me Fatty Harps from La tro Valley.
Speaker 1: Hope you haveving a bloody great day.
Speaker 2: Let's start with the It's going to say the chick in the top left, but you can't say that because it's an indictable offense. So we'll say the young lady who's the top of my screen on the left, tight tip.
Speaker 3: The thirty percent dude. Isn't that what you call with thirty percent? Dude?
Speaker 2: Very well, I think you freely admit you're about thirty percent dude.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think.
Speaker 1: I don't think you mind it either.
Speaker 3: That's all right, it's all right.
Speaker 5: It makes me feel tough, brot bit of behavioral leeway in life.
Speaker 2: Well, two percent more dude than Patrick, So well done, Hi Patrick, stop it?
Speaker 4: No, then there's officially now too, aren't there? Are we getting political on this one, because that's no, No, we're not.
Speaker 1: We're not opening that door.
Speaker 2: No, you're one hundred percent man, despite your T shirt that says zombies eat flesh.
Speaker 4: Do you like it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I love it?
Speaker 4: Bombie face? Can I tell us I'm good? Thank you. I've got a bit of a funny day today. I've got to get my car serviced and I'm chatting to Tiff later tatt and to Tiff now. It's kind of the most exciting thing of my day. But you know, I, did you ever watch the Walking Dead series? The Zombie series? I?
Speaker 2: No, I'm not a zombie. I don't hate it. It's just doesn't do it for me. You know, the Walking Dead type stuff doesn't do it for me.
Speaker 4: Okay, I may have got a bit obsessive. I resisted. I do. I'm one of these people who Game of Thrones. I'm not watching it. I'm not watching that because everybody's watching it. I'm going to resist. And then what I do is three seasons in someone says, go on, just try it, and then I binge it. And so I started binging the Walking Dead and got so into zombies that I was walking through bunnings and I'm thinking, crowbar, No, that's too heavy to swing. What would I use use in the zombie apocalypse? Because a crowbar is great because it's really heavy and solid, but it's impractical. If you're doing the swings, it's got to be samurai swords like two sorts because they're very sharp, they're very strong, and you can move around with them a lot. But so yeah, it's a bit of a worry. And then I go to garden sales, you know when they have like trash and treasure sales and people sell tools and stuff, and they have all the tools laid out same thing. I'm walking around thinking, good for zombies. Nut that to be impractical. So maybe, like, I like where you're going.
Speaker 2: But I think samurai sword's pretty cumbersome, pretty heavy, by the way.
Speaker 4: And pretty big one. I used to have one.
Speaker 2: I have a number of could I say, you did not have a samurai sword. You had some shitty, cheap replica from probably kmart.
Speaker 4: See there you go the samurai saw that I got. So a friend of mine heer here.
Speaker 1: We go, Tip, Here we go tip.
Speaker 4: Japan, and was presented with a Samurai saw and she gave me the Samurai sword. I gifted it to a friend of mine who since passed away, who is a ten dan martial arts expert, and I gave that to him as a gift. But I did hold the Samurai sword. And maybe it's because you've got painted on arms, but I didn't think it was that heavy.
Speaker 2: Oh, now we're having a personal attack on Jumbo. Last night, I got picked on in the gym this morning. I'm getting picked your arms as well.
Speaker 5: For your shoulders was last night. So there's a correlation there.
Speaker 4: Muscles, they're not practical muscles because the thing is your arms are too big. You're probably not going to be practical in the zombie apocalypse with the samurai sword purely because you're too but you're not going to have the flexibility and the movement to be able to get around and swing at those zombies. TIF would be okay because being all right.
Speaker 2: So if there's three blokes in a car park and option A is you, an option as me, Option B is me, I reckon.
Speaker 1: I'll go all right, I reckon I might Outlast year.
Speaker 4: I've won every one of my fights by one hundred meters accelerating. I know this has nothing to do with tech, do you know want to say to my tai chi students, because tai chi, as you know, I practice tai chi and I teach tai chi, which is a very slow moving martial art which is good for muscle memory. But really what it is is designed to use the opponent's energy against them. So if someone threw a punch at you, the idea is that, rather than resisting, you would kind of deflect the punch. Besides, you throw them off balance. But really it's about disarming, getting them away from you, and then running off. You don't fight people, you just run away from them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, that sounds like the worst martial art ever. Okay, as a relaxation practice, awesome. But rather than try and wait for the punches to come and then deflect them and run, why not just punch the person in the face who's try want to hurt you, just run in the first place, because maybe they can run faster. We don't recommend violence at all, avoid violence at all costs, but if you need to protect yourself, do so. T was before speaking it go on trying helps.
Speaker 4: Do you know a grown man blubbering like a child probably would make you seem so pathetic they wouldn't hit you anyway. I don't know from experience, No, I really haven't. I know. I think I've only ever been in two fights, and I could kind of embarrassed to say this, But there was a bully at school who was bigger than everybody else, and it was my turn to be bullied. So I punched him in the face and he was scared of me for the rest about io at school.
Speaker 1: Wow, Wow, so you bullied the bully.
Speaker 4: I believe the bully. Yeah, that's a true story.
Speaker 2: So you just told us about you don't fight, you deflect and you run, and then you just seconds later tell us about how you assaulted.
Speaker 4: Somebody discovered side. Now I'm going to get.
Speaker 2: You've got to get your fucking stories straight. You keep contradicting yourself seen.
Speaker 4: And you're an idiot because, come on, let's face it, fifteen hormones go and all that sort of stuff actually was probably fourteen truth. It was just a kid, weedy kid.
Speaker 2: Which hormones? Exactly did you have going? That's my question?
Speaker 4: No, don't you remember how hard it was being a teenager. It was awful. I was really bad at being a teenager.
Speaker 2: I'm bad at being a human, doesn't matter what the fucking ac je. I'm still trying to figure sit out. That's why I talk about human behavior always.
Speaker 4: H I was a nerd all my life. I don't think I've ever not been a nerd, you know, I was. I had my photo in the paper at thirteen on the Herald Son as a cyber man because I used to be part of the Doctor Who fan club.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's and you're still talking about that seventy years later. Else you told everyone my arms are painted on. I want to talk a little bit about tech. Well, it's it's not really it's very low. I know, I know that's your job. But TIF have you ever listened to a fiction book?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I listen to shit all the time, but it's always you know, self help of psychology or whatever. Have you ever listened to a fiction book on audio, audible or whatever?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't like it. I can't do it, really, No, I have to read them fiction books. I've read nonfiction. I listened to nonfiction, but I can't do fiction.
Speaker 2: On I've never listened to one in my life, but I am now, so I'm listening to my first one. It's called The Gray Man. It's the most ridiculous. I mean it's it's it's full of violence and revenge and retribution and heroism. But it's so fucking ridiculous. But my rule is I can only listen because because I'm so into it, it'll stop me from doing work. So my rule is I can only listen to it when I'm walking. And I woke up at five o'clock this morning. I so want to know what happens next. I got out of bed and started walking at five oh two so I could hear what happens next, I got to say, And it's like, I don't know what it is twelve hours. I'm like, eleven hours in I feel like there's going to be another one on the horizon. But how good is it that we have? I know that that's been around forever, But do you listen to fiction?
Speaker 1: Mate?
Speaker 4: Science fiction? Fiction has been my bread and butter since I was probably about seven years older. Case I started off with The Magic Far Away Tree right Enid Blyton, and I got to the end of the series. I was so upset when the book's finished. I started writing my own stories with the same characters. And I used to go to the children's library every No one's going to be surprised by this. I used to go to the children's library every Saturday in Kober and then one day I asked for a book that someone had recommended, and they said, oh, look, that's in the adult library. And I said, oh really, And they said no, no, you just go across the road there to the adult library and then you can get it from there. And it's like, oh, I'm allowed. So as a like eight or nine year old, I'd suddenly discovered that I could go to the adult library and then my future of sci fi just blew my head apart. I just started reading adult sci fi from about that age and I loved it. And then in audiobooks, I've got one constantly on the go, a lot of fantasy. I like fantasy stuff, but sci fi fantasy constantly on the go.
Speaker 2: What's the best? What's your favorite all time? And I know you're going to say it's too hard, But if you had to pick one your favorite all time.
Speaker 4: Fiction, I'm going to say, too, it's either Dune and I know it's been made into a series with Timothy Chip to my fae Geala May, who yet is like the hottest property like in Hollywood at the moment. Amazing guy because he's doing the Dylan movie at the moment as well, and he sings really well. And the others. The Foundation series by Isaac Asimov, because Foundation is kind of based loosely on the for of the Roman Empire, and again that's been made by Apple, So both of these are now being adapted screen adaptations, which are both very very high quality screen adaptations. And by coincidence, and then anything by Arthur C. Clark, because Arthur C. Clark literally invented the future. He invented the communication satellite. Asimov came up with the term robotics like everything in science now and science fiction visionaries. It's kind of funny that you brought it up because the UK Department of Defense has got all these sci fi writers together and ask them to come up with dystopian future sci fi scenarios to help them plan to plan security for the future. This is an actual real thing, So, you know, the golden Yews of science fiction, which I also love to read, you know, if you get a chance to read some HG. Wells and some of the really early sci fi writers. These are people who wrote sci fi in sometimes even pre dating the nineteenth century, so we're talking at the late eighteen hundreds, wrote sci fi about going into space, like sci fi in the early nineteen hundreds, where you know HG. Wells, you know, and all those sorts of visionary writers before it was even called science fiction. We're talking flying, we're talking about anti gravity, so science, you know, the renaissance of science and the idea that we would enhance our learning by understanding more about human body, more about you know, the world around us, the planet's technology. That was what spurned the writers to start visioning what the future might be like, and then in envisag envisaging the future, they helped create it. As like I said, you know, Arthur C. Clarke was at a conference talking about communications satellites, which he literally invented in sci fi, and a guy approached him and gave him this vision of the Internet. Said, oh yeah, so satellites would all be up there, communications satellites, and then we would link them together. And he tells this story. There's an article I read many years ago. He talks about how it kind of blew his mind that this guy effectively was pre dating the Internet with this concept of how communication satellites would allow us all to have access to a reservoir of data and information, and it was just kind of blows my mind. So that was a really long winded answer to do I read sci fi?
Speaker 2: Was it? That's your specialty?
Speaker 1: Long winded? But we love your long windedness.
Speaker 2: But I'll tell you what all of us, especially me and Tiff, are hoping comes to fruition and you is the fucking hoverboard from Back to the Future that's still not here.
Speaker 4: Paks Sorry sorry, jetpacks. I got to say jetbacks trump hoverboard's tiff jetpack or hole board.
Speaker 3: The jet packs those things in water.
Speaker 4: Well they do have a water variation on it, but jet packs of the pack, your strap on your back and you fly a to b that's got.
Speaker 3: To be that would be pretty cool.
Speaker 2: It is, well, I think that's inherently dangerous. We don't want fucking seven year olds in Hampton putting that shit on. I'm just heading over to pugging Doncaster to see Bobby.
Speaker 3: How many SEC's is your motorcycle? Harps? What's that got to do with anything inherently dangerous?
Speaker 1: That's fly Hey, Patrick, l.
Speaker 4: This conversation because I'm going on because Tiff rays a very very valid point. Right, two D three D. You're on the ground on a bike. More things to hit when you're in the sky, right, You've got depth and height and breadth. There's so many less, so less things to hit. Clouds like clouds, they're fluffy. Right. Cars are heavy and solid, So if you're a bike that is going to be heaps more dangerous than a jetpack.
Speaker 5: Then again, I'm hitting the ground when the technology fails.
Speaker 1: Is that okay?
Speaker 2: Maybe it's falling out of the sky like a fucking dead budgy. Can I just mention? I don't want to rain on your physics parade, but riding a motorbike is three D not two D.
Speaker 4: Well, I know, but I was simplifying it. I was just putting it down to its component parts I think.
Speaker 2: Or as we would call it, making a mistake. That's okay, though, because it's all fucking three D.
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 4: A friend of mine is to call motorbike riders temporary Aussies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a million people call them that.
Speaker 1: That's old. I've been called that a thousand times. Hey.
Speaker 2: Speaking of prolific science writers, here's a trivia question. I'm sure you will know the answer to. Who's the most Who's the guy who invented a religion? Yeah, most prolific science writer of science fiction writer of all time including religion.
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: You know. He was at a conference with Isaac Asimov and said, you know what, this is a true quote. He said, the only way to really make money is to make up a religion.
Speaker 1: Start a religion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so for our listeners who don't know so scientology, you know, Tom Cruise and the like, or or and quite a lot of Hollywood people and famous people. I think quite a few people have jumped ship now. But still it's relatively influential.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The guy who started that religion was the world's biggest I think he still is. Can you google that tip? Can you say l Ron Hubbard? Is he the world's most prolific scientific science writer? Patrick's doing like? Patrick's like, No, I'm going to do it.
Speaker 1: Patrick. This does not make for good listening. When you stop the conversation.
Speaker 4: You're still talking. You haven't shut up.
Speaker 2: Well, that's because both you got on your fucking computers.
Speaker 4: Isaac Asimov actually is considered one of the most prolific science fiction writers, publishing five hundred books.
Speaker 2: All right, who's the most who's the most? Tiff Anyway, this.
Speaker 4: Is the most prolific meme the most you said, one of the most considered one of the most, Well, what the hell? Like, I don't know if he's one of the most Maybe I don't know. Stephen King, Stephen King has written a lot. He's prolific, and he's kind of it's kind of sci fi is It's kind of mo horror though, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not Stephen King. I'm not sure. Do we talk about we talk about tech please?
Speaker 4: We are kind of well kind of okay, Hey, did you look. You didn't want to talk about the Trump thing, did you? And all the tech bros up there? Fist pumping and all that sort of stuff like that toxic if you like. Oh well, because that kind of tied into the TikTok ban and what even though that's based in it, so you know the background to the TikTok band, right, So there's an announcement that TikTok is going to be banned because it's owned by China and it's going to be banned in the US, and then they switch it off and then like ten minutes later, Trump gets it and says no, no, no, no, we'll put it back on for a limited time. So ninety dos. But what a lot of people didn't realize is it actually affected some people in Australia who are on TikTok because they had US based accounts. So you know, people who had accounts that were originally set up in the US were suddenly disappearing as well. And so look, there's been a you know, pulled back on it. But that's kind of interesting, and you know, did you the fact that all these tech bros have kind of got together with Trump and the inauguration was a bit scary to see. And someone told me the other day, one of my colleagues, and I'm hoping this is true, because I'm going to tell everybody that, for the first time ever in the history of Facebook, if you had a Facebook account in the US, you will automatically free by Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: So the accounts were automatically friended by Donald Trump. And I think the only time that's ever happened previously was MySpace because when you initially signed up to MySpace, you were a friend of Bob the Blake who set up my Space. But you could opt out, and you can still opt out of a Trump thing. But is that a bit scary when you're automatically friended by Donald Trump? That's a big payback, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Does it make any difference though, I mean, we're so there's so much surveillance. They've got so much information on all of us.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: At what point do you go, oh, well, I mean not that I you know, not that I want somebody having the ins and outs of my life. But it just feels almost like we're past the point of no return. You know, there's that technology now where they can somebody can just get a picture of your face, upload it, and that will give whoever uploaded it basically your address, your phone number, and certain information about you just from uploading an image of your face.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can do reverse image searches. But you know, it's a good point. You brought that up because there's been a bit of controversy at the Australian Open tennis because they're using facial recognition at the Open this year for the very first time. And what the controversy surrounds is, Okay, they're tracking all the patrons, but they're saying it's part of the terms and conditions of buying a ticket, and people civil liberties people are saying, well, you know what, no one reads terms and conditions, so when you go to buy a ticket for a sporting event, you don't really you know, you're kind of accepting the fact of all the terms and conditions, but the fact that now the Australian Open is tracking everybody. The question is what happens to that data? You know, is it being stored securely, how long is it being stored for? Is it just going to be stored for the duration of the event, or is it going to you know, what does that mean about them having a database that potentially could be hacked when they're matching people's face you know, this is the problem with that facial recognition, that recognition stuff. Bunning's got into a lot of trouble because they did the very same thing and using they were tracking people. They say it was to try to track offenders who potentially might be people who would steal or people who could were violent, and they were tracking all of their customers as they went in out of the stores. But they got into a lot of hot water over that, and there's been a lot of this controversy over in the Australian Open with fans being tracked wherever they go. I mean, what does that mean about privacy? Do you want to be tracked everywhere you go? Aps?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I think we are.
Speaker 2: You know, it's like when I get in my new car, the one that I hardly drive, it just asks me all these questions. It's like, do you want to do this? It's like it's a computer. That's like, it's a comfortable computer with an engine. That's what it's It's kind of ridiculous. But yeah, I don't know. I think we're past the point of no return, Like, what's the what's the oldternative living off the grid with no computer and no phone.
Speaker 4: No, no, there is no alternative because you can't do that. When you walk down the street, if you walk through a crowded city, your face is going to be trapped by this software. If you want to go to see a sporting event, if you want to go to the Australian Open tennis, you have no choice. If you purchase a ticket, you are giving them permission to use your vision, to use your face, and to track what you're doing and record that information. Wherever you walk, whatever you look at, whatever you do, whatever match you see, how you interact with people is effectively being monitored.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's the upside of that? Is there an upside? Well, they're an upside for us. Maybe it's a good way to find crooks and criminals and baddies as my mum would call them.
Speaker 4: Well, look, yes, potentially, like it's look, the reality of it is they're saying that it means that they can quickly if something happens, if there are known people who've been so ciated I guess with violence or with you know, because they do sometimes have people who do stupid things on court, and we're not on the actually on court as well, people in the crowd doing doing things. I can remember one year someone jumped onto the court and it was like it was a civil disobedience thing that they were kind of trying to. I think they raised a banner and they feel unfilled the banner and and jumped onto the court. But it wasn't you know who was it was it Martina and the rattleover who was the tennis player who got stabbed?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was thinking of her, now I wasn't was a young girl Martina Hingis okay, yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's right, I remember that. Yeah. I mean how do we get there?
Speaker 4: Monitoring and and and the idea is that if someone has as a known violent defender and their monitor potentially they could be flagged as someone to be watched. You know how I don't.
Speaker 2: I know the gators closed on this, But how bad is the security when someone can get out of the stands, cross a tennis court at a major event and stab one of the best players in the world in front of thousands of people. Like you'd want to review security after that, wouldn't you. Well, the thing is, how do you track people? They do have, I mean no, but you've got to have security on court so that if someone runs out, Well, they do, but they've got well yes and no.
Speaker 4: There are security at the entrances to all the courts and they have them. You know, they have the officials, but they don't have like big burly bloke standing on the court ready to run on. I mean I think they should.
Speaker 1: They should have.
Speaker 2: They should have because that can happen if that's a potential occurrence. Would like, if I can jump over a fence with a knife and run out, why wouldn't you have Anyway, we're digressing, but.
Speaker 4: You could use that argument sitting at a cafe in Hampton Street. If we're sitting there at a cafe, someone could just rush up to you. Of course I could take my button knife and spread my jam over you.
Speaker 2: You're very argumentative today. It doesn't matter what I suggest, you don't agree with anything. Like what is what is wrong with you today? It's like you're never like it. That's a good idea, Craig, Like, it's so fucking controversial.
Speaker 1: What's wrong with you?
Speaker 4: Have you?
Speaker 1: Are you? Did you not sleep? Are you hungry? Are you in a bad mood?
Speaker 4: The fuck?
Speaker 1: Stop being so Stop being so objectionable to everything.
Speaker 4: Stop saying dumb stuff and then I'll agree with you.
Speaker 1: Oh, I rest my case.
Speaker 2: What staying that we should protect our elite athletes at the Australian Open is a dumb thing after somebody got stabbed?
Speaker 4: Really happened often Unfortunately, the reality of it is, do we want to live in a police state where everything we is monitored? Because of the fact that.
Speaker 2: What has that got to do with a person? A police state? Talk about go to the fucking extreme. I'm saying, let's just protect our athletes from being stabbed, and you bring it up to, oh, do we want to live in a police state? No we don't, but let's not let people get stabbed, shall we?
Speaker 4: How many people get stabbed at the Australian Open? None? One No, that wasn't at the Australian Open.
Speaker 1: Yes it was. It wasn't wherever it was, whatever, whatever event it was.
Speaker 4: But what I'm saying is the majority of people do the right thing, and there's always going to be a wild card factor where someone is going to do something bad to somebody, whatever, wherever it happens to be, and unfortunately, you know, how do you combat that. I don't know that there is a way to do that. But the good thing is most people do the right thing at the right at the right time. So I think that's you know.
Speaker 2: You could say that, you could say that, for like, most people are not going to steal your money, but we still prepare for that. Most people are not going to hack your computer, but we still prepare for that.
Speaker 4: Well, that's why when people go to big events like the Australian Open, they have their bags checked when they go in. They make sure that they you know, that people go through They have metal detectors and stuff like that, so you know, whether it's a concert or a sporting event, they do have preventive measures and they do try to flag if they think that there might be someone who might be problematic, and there is security entrances and security on the gates of most of the venues. But you know, I kind of don't know whether you're suggesting that there'd be you know, ten burly blokes standing there at the end of the court ready to run in. I think that just seems excessive.
Speaker 2: Well, I think burley blokes or burley women for that matter, and I don't.
Speaker 1: I just mean very cap just.
Speaker 2: Put exactly, and by that I mean very capable female ninjas.
Speaker 4: We know as quickly.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you.
Speaker 2: Patrick, so regarding TikTok, what so is it back on? So we're recording this on the twenty fourth Friday. Is it back on in the States or what?
Speaker 4: For a very short time? Yeah? Yeah, it's back on. As soon as Trump gone in it went back on again. But it was only a very short time, I believe.
Speaker 2: Did you notice also that he came out and he went, by the way, we're going to do petrol cars. We're gonna yeah, by the way. He didn't say fuck electric cars, but he almost did, now you know it.
Speaker 4: Interestingly, in Norway they're now almost all electric. They're going to be a country in the world to go all electric, which is kind of interesting and technically, I think in TikTok it was twelve hours after shutting it down, it went back on again, so it was only twelve hours.
Speaker 1: Hey, tell me about mirror, mirror on the wall. I'm looking at your list. I'm interested in that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've been looking into tech. That was so ces. The Consumer Electronics Show was in Las Vegas, not that long ago. It comes up around January every year and it's just this massive, massive event where all the new consumer products get showcased. And what's becoming more and more interesting is the kind of a holistic way of monoching our health. So when you use a health tracker, say it's a smart watch pulling all that information together. Smart scales. I got some smart scales for Christmas. So when I step on my scales, it measures my BMI, my body fat, all that sort of stuff, and it tracks my weight over the week. And I get onto the scale, I cry a little bit or I smile a little bit, depending on what day it is.
Speaker 1: But how often do you cry?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: Not often? No, But you know, if your wait goes up, you feel a bit bad, don't you, And then if it goes down, you feel a bit woo. I kind of need a Homer Simpson. You know the whoo, it's good and it's like dog let it's down.
Speaker 2: But how much can I If you're a dude, so I can ask this, how much do you weigh? Oh?
Speaker 4: It varies between about sixty eight kilos and maybe sixty nine kilos?
Speaker 1: What what?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: So if you get on your sixty nine a, it's sad. The fuck is wrong with you?
Speaker 4: But how much to you?
Speaker 2: Oh? Wait, eighty five? Ishy, it depends eighty four to eighty six.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you're a bigger burlier blake than me, as we kind of pointed out earlier.
Speaker 2: Ye dysfunctional, useless, bigger burly bloke allegedly.
Speaker 3: How much to paint it on arms? Way?
Speaker 2: Last night one of the blokes in the gym said to me, he said, do they have a lost and found here? And I go yep, And he goes, well, I might go up and see if I can find your shoulders. I'm like, that was pretty hurtful. It was fucking funny, though, I'm like, that is great, that is great. It fucking it hurt me mortally because I don't have I have quite big delts like the muscles, but my actual clavicular with is not so I don't have really naturally wide swimmer sholders.
Speaker 1: But it was really hurtful. But it was so fucking funny that I just had to laugh.
Speaker 4: So the other day and I can't tell it. Can I tell the joke? And then TIF cut it out if we think it's inappropriate? And I can't even say that. Now it's still out of No, you can't. You can't it, is it? See?
Speaker 1: Is it insulting to any group of people?
Speaker 4: Yes? Actually, yeah, let's not talk about it. I'll tell you.
Speaker 1: Then you definitely can't.
Speaker 2: And everybody's like, please, no, no, hold them the start of it and they can look it up themselves. By the way, you didn't finish telling us about mirror mirror. What the fuck does this mirror do?
Speaker 4: So now you can get smart mirrors. So what they do is they bring together the technology like smart scales, smart watches and integrate them so that when you are looking in the mirror, you can you can to your heart rate, blood pressure, and so this smart tech, and this was a conceptual thing, this smart technology, because you can get smart mirrors. Now, Oh, hi Fritz, sorry that mis Fritz just saying hello, you can get smart tech now that includes smart mirrors so that they look like a normal mirror, and then you can bring up a screen that overlays as I said, heart rate, blood pressure, that sort of stuff. So the idea being is that when you incorporate the idea of AI to monitor all these what seemingly are unrelated, you know, monitoring devices like your scales or your smart watch, it then puts it all together and you're able to be given that that kind of overall holistic health monitoring. So if you're if you're you know, if your weights being tracking too high, if it picks up your heart rate going up at a time when it shouldn't be going up, those are the types of things that these smart mirrors will pull it all together. And it's something that you get on your scales in the morning, you stand in front of the mirror and you can see an overview of what your health situation.
Speaker 2: Is other than make you cry. Your scales. What the ones the smart scales one? What do they tell you? What's the data that you get, where did you get them? And how much did they cost give or take.
Speaker 4: Man I think the scale, I don't think the scale was very expensive I'm trying to think it might have been maybe ninety bucks, ninety one hundred bucks.
Speaker 2: Do you have to stand on in bare feet to get the body? Does it give body composition?
Speaker 4: Well, what it does is sometimes it tells me to get back on the scales. So it's called UFI Life. I'm just bringing up the app on my phone now because I'm going to I'm looking at the analytics. But it gives you b and my body fat. You've got a goal and a weight. Gosh, the graph goes up and down a lot. I'm just going to show you that. I don't think you can see it. Yeah, yeah, it shows you know, yeah, the overall amount. It talks about calories, so I guess the idea is just overall tracking. I mean, I don't know me engage it's mate. I just saw it. It was on sale. I thought I need that.
Speaker 2: Can I ask what it tells you your body fat percentage is?
Speaker 4: Since it's twenty two point eight, is that bad?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: That's all right? Is that's all right? Yeah?
Speaker 2: It's I would say you're not I would say you're not twenty two point eight.
Speaker 1: I would say that's not accurate.
Speaker 2: I would guess your body fat percentage, and I've measured probably over ten thousand people's body fat. I would think you are between sixteen and nineteen. Okay, so I think that's high. But also you've got to remember everyone who's listening to this, who goes, I'm going to go get some scales that tell me, you know, like without trying to get exercise science, dude, But like your wait matters, but it matters to a point, like really what is most important as body composition. So let's say Patrick and I are similar height. I'm a little bit taller, but not a lot, but he's now twenty kilos lighter than me. But we could have a similar body fat percentage despite the fact that I'm twenty kilos heavier.
Speaker 1: And that's not bad.
Speaker 2: That's just a bit more muscle and maybe different bone density or whatever. But being lighter is in general terms, depending very general terms, it's probably better, but it's not necessarily better. So and also, those those ninety dollars scales from a like they use a thing called bioelectrical impedance, which is when you're standing on it, it's at the very best, it's kind of a guess. But the good thing about those is that using the same essentially the same tool and the same protocol, So in that sense you're going to get some consistency.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was just I'm glad that you brought that up, because what it does is it has two sensors for each foot, so you've got these little round discs and sometimes it asks you to get back on the scale make sure your feet are dry. But I'm assuming that it's electrical conductivity through your body from and that's it finds out what your body fat in next.
Speaker 2: Is exactly, and how hot hydrated you are or aren'ts can affect that because it basically measures how quickly those electrical impulses move through your body. When I was fat, I used to get on the scales and I'd say one at a time.
Speaker 1: Please.
Speaker 2: That's an oldie, but a good isn't it. Which that used to hurt my feelings as well. Hey, tell us about Instagram debuts video editing, Like, I'm an instagrammer, is this?
Speaker 1: Can I use this?
Speaker 4: Well? This is because of the TikTok thing, because Instagram hasn't traditionally had those sorts of tools that are built into TikTok. But with all this noise going on particularly in the US, it's such a massive market and if suddenly, you know TikTokers can't tick their tok, then wow, well.
Speaker 2: That sounds sexual, but okay, well it just.
Speaker 4: Means if they're giving them similar tools, people are going to jump platforms because don't.
Speaker 1: Come in, I'm ticking my talk, get out, shut the door.
Speaker 4: So it makes sense that they're going to try to you know, Instagram is trying to put in video editing tools to match what TikTok already offers, because everyone's going to try to get the tens of millions of people who are using it, and if you can offer platform, it's going to give them the same way to do it, if you can download all your data, because the thing is that the band is still going to go ahead, but now they's giving people more time. So they had twelve hours without it, and it means you can download all your videos and of course people are going to want to upload them to another platform, and it makes perfect sense that if you can do it on Insta and they give you all the tools to do it, then it's a smart move by Instagram. When you think about it, Are you on Instagram? No, I'm not on any social media. I mean, look, the business that I run does do social media management, so I have to have accounts to be able to manage my client accounts and business accounts. But I've got a one of my colleagues, Robert, does all of that stuff. I'm bloody hopeless. I kind of stopped using social media maybe about seven years ago. I just look. I used to and there's still occasionally old post. You know, when I was doing my podcast regularly, I'd be posting the artwork from the podcast and little snippets and all that sort of thing. But to be honest, I found one of the challenges. See Instagram. I like to use a lot because I take lots and lots and lots of photos. T If I send your photos and stuff, you know, you know, I really enjoyed. I've got a good friend in Germany and we send photos of plants, you know, like scenery and stuff like that, and it's really nice. But I found myself uploading photos and then deciding whether or not the photos were good enough based on the reaction other people had. And now I don't give a shit. I don't care what other people think of my photos. If I get in I ooymn out of taking a photo of a sunrise, a landscape, a beautiful scene, and that's all that matters to me. And I just found that I was becoming too reliant dependent on likes and ticks and you know, thumbs ups and all that sort of thing, and I think that it can really dictate your state of mind, and it's and I pulled out of it seven years ago. I just thought, I don't really care. I don't want to know what people are doing. I don't want to get stuck down the rabbit hole. And it's very easy to do that when you're flicking through and scrolling, you the whole thumb scroll and you just read the next one and the next one and the next one, and you know, you think, I've just spent forty minutes looking at stupid video clips of things that really, you know, don't really mean anything to the great grand scheme of things. Tiff just sent me something. Now I'm going to jump off.
Speaker 3: He said it asn't pay attention.
Speaker 5: And the minute I sent him a photo, he looks at it as soon as I did it.
Speaker 4: It's Luna, it's TIFF's dog, and she's sent it on WhatsApp. I use WhatsApp because that's why I can connect directly with my friends. But Tiff sends me some gorgeous photos of Luna. You know.
Speaker 2: That's how I just say, don't let the listeners and I get in the way. You two, like, do you want do you want us to give you the room? Do you want us to do you want me to pull the shades and fuck off?
Speaker 4: Because Luna is a cute dog. Come on, Crago, you've met Luna. She is beautiful.
Speaker 2: Well that's not in doubt. It's just that that nobody can see that picture except you.
Speaker 4: Two, but they can take my word that it's she.
Speaker 2: Is beautiful, like you Patrick, you're beautiful. Tell us about three D printed guns.
Speaker 4: This has become a bit of a worry because there's you know, it's like any tool that's out there, good and bad. So NASA, for example, are now using three D printing technology to make really really efficient, cheaply produced like transmitting to what do they call them, like trans transmitters. The I don't have a little connector things that like, ye, totay, I don't ask us to Yeah, I'm trying to describe something that was kind of s there in the back of my head. But anyway, NASA is using three D printing to make little radar dishes. Will say, I'll look into that in a minute. It'll come back to me. But the contrast being that there has been a big upsurge and what they're calling ghost guns. Okay, so this is here in Australia we're talking about, so not overseas. The problem is that we heard about the idea of three D printing guns a few years ago, but the technology wasn't quite there yet because the filaments or the elements that are used to make these three D objects so effectively. A three D printer is a printer that layers. So when you think of a printer that you use to print pictures, you've got a flat surface. You could almost say it was two D, a flat surface that that prints a picture.
Speaker 1: But if you unlike a motorbike.
Speaker 4: As you start layering that, if you imagine that the ink then goes into layers and layers and higher and it becomes three D. It has debt like a motorbike.
Speaker 2: Barklp deep, it has depth. Unlike Patrick, stop it just kidding, just kidding, We love you, but you did say my arms were painted on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, true, because you remember a few years ago there was that healthcare executive that got assassinated in New York. It's believed that the guy who is.
Speaker 1: That was like a month ago.
Speaker 4: Wasn't that long ago? Yeah? Well, it was a three D printed gun with a three D printed silencer attached to it. And so the concern is straighted now, I guess everywhere is that there are no there's no codes, there's no markings on the guns. They can be printed on a domestic printer, and that's a big concern, and so they're calling them ghost guns. There's no way to track them. You know. One of the big things that happened one of the you know, it's terrible when you get these massacres, and we saw that in Tasmania. What was it twenty years ago? Twenty five years ago?
Speaker 1: Way more? Yeah, like thirty Port Arthur was like the eighties, I think.
Speaker 4: But the thing, no, I think it was later in that he might have been the early nineties. But you're right, actually probably laid eighties, early nineties. But the thing is that John Howard is revered almost in the United States as the Australian Prime minister who got rid of guns, you know, to remember those really vivid scenes of guns being you know, squashed up and destroyed. And he is used as not a test case per se, but put up on a pedestal as somebody he probably needed to because he was pretty short, but put up on a pedestal as somebody who did something pretty amazing by getting rid of all those firearms. And now there's a real concern with law enforcement, with police around the country that it's now becoming so easy to three D print these weapons and they look like mirth guns, they look like you know, two but they're actually really functioning guns. So that's a real problem at the moment.
Speaker 2: That well, I mean, crooks and criminals are creative, mate'll they'll do whatever they can to you know, because getting a gun in Australia, I mean you can't really, it's very all you can and it's very difficult. But a nine ninety six by the way, so you were more right, you were more correct than I was.
Speaker 1: What are they?
Speaker 2: They are they made of a because some of the ones I've seen a while ago though they were made of a like a like a polomar, like a plastic or something. These ones three D printed that or are they metal or are they some other material.
Speaker 4: They're just a tough and plastic. They use a filament, so it works. These different methods for three D printing. Some of them use a fluid and they pass a laser or a light through it that then hardens and forms the three D objects. So if you imagine a cylinder full of fluid, you pass the light through it, but the light is directed to in layers effectively to build up the object, and then when you take it out of the fluid, the only the part that's been touched by the light or the laser is what solidifies. But generally, I think most people when they think of three D printing, they just think of a filament. So you know, you've got a a spool of a plastic. But they've been been able to now make these filaments a lot more, a lot harder, and which means if you were manufacturing a fake gum generally now that the plastics are toughened plastics, so they're just using and I think ceramics are kind of being used as well, and there are metal printers as well. But learn is that the cheapest end of the line has now got to a higher standard because there's two aspects to it is resolution of the printer. So the early three D printers were a bit chunky, a bit like playing Minecraft. Am I going to ailienate? I say, Minecraft? There is any movie coming out about Minecraft? Looks really fun? So Minecraft is the game where it's all blocky, Yeah, pixelated space invaders, lots of blocks that make up the picture rather than lots, and so the more dots, the higher the resolution. Yeah. Anyway, so the three D printing technology has got a higher resolution, which means what you're producing is actually is going to be better quality and more toughened.
Speaker 1: Just quickly.
Speaker 2: Last one, which is not on your list, but it's on my list. I wanted to ask you. So maybe three or four months ago, you very cleverly introed the show and then interviewed fake me with pre prepared responses where you had I don't know what the correct term is, but you'd stolen.
Speaker 1: My voice and what do you call it? When you do that?
Speaker 2: You'd basically you'd sampled my voice and then you'd I used AI and a.
Speaker 4: Voice generator to yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So basically you can type something in and use this use my voice and get me to in inverted commas say anything right. Well, as I was listening to this book, this thirteen hour book I was telling you about at the top of the show, I was thinking, like the days of voice actors and that are going to be maybe a thing of the past eventually. Like with these scripts, you could just get this, you know, AI generated voice in inverted commas to read entire books flawlessly.
Speaker 4: Well, actually, it's a very interesting point you bring up, because Audible is already doing that with their paid actors. They're giving them licensing fees to use their voices so they can churn out books a lot more quickly as you can imagine having a real person read an audio book and get it produced. You've got to be in front of the microphone, and as a human being, a twenty hour book or an eleven hour book is a lot to read so in one sitting, and you'd have to get it produced, whereas if you're using AI. So Audible announced last year for the first time they were going to be using some of their voice actors sampled voices to read audiobooks so they can churn them out quicker. But they're going to be paying licensing fees and another interesting story that I was going to chat about, and this is a nice little segue the movie The Brutalist that is coming out at the moment. In fact, I was going to go to seed it at the weekend. That's a movie. It's a true story about a brutalism. Is that this is an architectural design style and it's about a guy fleeing Europe who was a Jewish guy who came to the United States became a very famous architect. And what they did was because I think it's I'm going to say Hungarian, but the accent is really specific, this Jewish Hungarian accent. And because the actors, you know, weren't able to quite get it, they've used AI technology to sample their voices and make their accent sound more authentic. Now to replace the voice, they've just used this AI tech to tweak the voice a little bit to make the actors sound more authentic to the region there. And I think it's Hungarian, but wherever it is. So if you would acting and doing an American voice, and Australians are really good at doing an American voice, but if you weren't quite right, if you wanted a Savannah voice and not a New York voice. Then they would be able to tweak that so that you would have the right accent.
Speaker 1: Did you know they've been doing that one?
Speaker 2: That's fucking fascinating and makes total sense, But I can't remember. I'm if this is not right, it's close to right. So there's a thing called audio tuning.
Speaker 4: If this is not right, it's close to right, it's.
Speaker 1: Either yeah, but I could say.
Speaker 2: Stop it, okay, So I think the term is audio tuning where singers who were not quite in tune they use tech to basically make them sing in tune, which is why some artists when you hear them live, are fucking terrible. Oh yes, because their voice has been manipulated in production and the record's awesome, but live they sound like dogshit.
Speaker 4: Remember Millie Vanilli was, Well, they didn't they didn't even sing. They mind, they.
Speaker 2: Didn't even sing. They were just a fucking they were just musical frauds. Hey, we're going to go tell people how they can find you and get some of those ninety dollars scales.
Speaker 4: I don't even please don't quote me on the price the youthy scales. And I can't exactly remember what they are websites now is the name of well, it's not the name of my business. Actually, did I tell you that I set up a new company structure. Now I've now called my business Bigger on the inside media, trading as Genesis Effects. Not that anyone cares about that, but yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure why you shared that, but okay.
Speaker 4: Well because it's kind of cool. You know how long it took me to be two days to.
Speaker 1: Try to Why didn't you just call it the tatis.
Speaker 4: No, because it has a doctor who reference for people who get it, but people who don't get it. Bigger on the inside media, it means we're small, but we do lots of big things. So I thought that there's representative of what we do because we do we do lots of stuff and no more. Just go to websites now dot com.
Speaker 1: You could have just done that.
Speaker 2: You could have just said that, because when you've got to explain all that shit, it really loses the value, doesn't.
Speaker 4: It's if you reckon. He's been mean to me today.
Speaker 3: I'm staying out of it. You too, I'm staying out of this.
Speaker 1: There's nothing but love. I love you. I love you twelve percent more. We'll say goodbye fair but don't worry everyone. We actually do love each other.
Speaker 2: It's just it's almost like it's almost like brothers punching each other on the arm.
Speaker 1: No, fuck you, it's a bit of that.
Speaker 4: So you go there