Speaker 1: Hey, beauties, it's Jamie Joe and Jesse Massoud and welcome to Skinfluence, a podcast dedicated to beauty, fashion and self love, turning your weakness into your uniqueness. Before we get started, we'd like to acknowledge the custodians of the land on which we record, the Gadigal people of the Eur Nation. Let's get into it. So it's been a week since the Met gala, and we were just kind of chatting through a little bit of the trends and things that we saw happening on the carpet after the Met. Every year we see like a bunch of different trends that come out of it based off what we see the celebrities are doing at the time. So, what did you notice There was a lot of at this Met.
Speaker 2: I saw a lot of bleached eyebrows on the red carpet, and I actually think that that is a trend influenced by beauty influencers on socials rather than celebrities themselves.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, it's kind of like roles reversed here, because we've seen the no eyebrows on TikTok a year ago, yeah, a while, and they kind of like went away and now we saw it back at the met I'm even seeing like shaved off eyebrows and like drawn on skinny little sticks, like it's giving nineties like to the masks. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, speaking of trends, we have so many trends coming and going, and I think because we are all chronically online, trends are flying in and out.
Speaker 1: So so quickly.
Speaker 2: And me and Jesse were kind of discussing why we think trends happen in the first place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we sort of came to three different conclusions. There are three main reasons why trends are constantly coming in and out and why they've always happened throughout time. So what's happening in the world is the first thing. The second thing is what is the media pushing and what beauty standards are being pushed at the time. And the third is the influence of celebrities and now also influencers and now influencers.
Speaker 2: Also, because we are all on socials so often, we are seeing thousands of people and thousands of things all the time, and I don't think we were ever actually created to see this many different type of faces.
Speaker 1: If you think about it, people growing up in small towns would see the same three hundred four hundred faces throughout the whole year, oh, their entire life, literally in their entire life. And now every single day we are exposed to just so so many different things, so many different people, so many different features and looks.
Speaker 2: And I really think that trends resurface right now at such a quick rate because of just like the fast paced nature of social media and of the media in general.
Speaker 1: Exactly when we look at previous trends throughout times, they usually lasted like a decade. We think about fifties, sixties, seventies, eighties, with the rise of technology and the technicolored yeah, in the happens exactly. In the eighties, I really think that they thought they were living in the future because we saw this like neon technic color vibe going on, which was definitely directly influenced by at the time, the rise of technology. Exactly. Then when we head into the nineties, which is I think a lot of people's favorite era in terms of trends, I think it resonates really well with the people now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with this generation, we really see a few different things that poke out. Yeah, Number one, heroin chic, like come on the trend of heroin chic is wild in the nineties, and it really was very, very unhealthy. But the whole grunge era really resonated with a lot of people in the nineties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are particular aspects I love about it. Yeah, but with the rise of accessibility to like magazines and TV in the homes, the media was really pushing that really really super super skinny, unhupermodel. And I think because people hadn't been exposed to that as much previously, what they were being fed is what they thought I also should look like. So then we have the rise of the arm and moms. Right, So our parents and our generation they are all influenced by this magazine era and the photoshopped like over smoothed, over perfective images that they were seeing in the nineties. And also Victoria's Secret was like booming exactly. And they didn't know back then that photoshopping existed. Yeah, they didn't know that people were being photoshopped in magazines. Yeah, so they looked at themselves in the mirror and were like, oh my gosh, I don't look like this. I've got a little blemish in my skin, Like this isn't acceptable and then that sort of trickled down into the way they perceive themselves, and then I guess how they raised their door and their children in particular.
Speaker 2: So in terms of now, in the way that we're seeing trends happening, they are a lot more fast paced.
Speaker 1: As we said, just because of the nature of like social media.
Speaker 2: And I think it's really really funny to see just this younger generation creating new trends, but they're actually not new at all.
Speaker 1: They're just free surface trends with different names. Yeah, And if I like go back to the previous point, which was a little bit like oh no, m and mums, I think now everything's a bit more unfiltered in the sense that we know that photoshopping is happening, we know that there's work being done on individuals, and we know that I guess there's more representation of a different body types, and like natural unfiltered kind of imagery and photography is a lot more used now than it was ten years ago exactly. So then when we're seeing these trends now, I think it's actually a more healthy and fun way of looking at trends, whereas before it was kind of detrimental to the women's health.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that everyone thought they had to look exactly like those magazine images or those celebrities or those supermodels.
Speaker 1: Like it really was a supermodel era in the nineties. And now, as you said, we've got a lot more like unfiltered beauty and more of a naturalistic approach to beauty in general. Yeah, and we have like so many different trends happening at the same time that are suited to different people and if they want to try, yeah, exactly. So you'll see online how there are people that are trying to get the sexy secretary look, and some people are trying to get the Sabrina Carpenter look, and some people that are just like just showing the individuality and what they love. So there's like so many different things happening at once, which is really fun funny.
Speaker 2: You mentioned those two trends, Jesse of the sexy secretary and then we've got the beautiful Suprena Carpeter makeup look. We're going to be chatting through them and kind of dissecting them. Why are they trending right now? How can you achieve that look? And if you want to achieve it, what products do you want to use to just play into that and try something new.
Speaker 1: I guess with your makeup.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about these two trends. So we've got sexy Secretary.
Speaker 1: And me and Jamie were talking about this on the car ride here. We're not a big fan of the sexy secretary name for the true we like the trend I love self. So what is the trend? What does it look like? So the trend is all about that messy, undone, unfinished sort of I've thrown myself together a lot sultry, sultry, I'm alluring. Yeah, everyone wants to sort of feel that at certain different like at different time and.
Speaker 2: A little bit more like dark feminine energy. Yeah, that's a good way to put it, a perfect way to describe this trend. So it's all about being alluring, and it's about kind of enhancing your features in a little bit more of a grungy way.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's definitely pointing towards that nineties heroine chic look, but a different way. It's resurfaced.
Speaker 2: As we said, these looks are all looks that have been done before, but they're catered to a little bit more of a different younger generation and then new.
Speaker 1: To them exactly. So why don't we like the name sexy secretary? Well, I think the name kind of over sexualizes women in the work in the workforce, in the workplace when you really, like, if we're going deep into it, as we kind of always do, women in the workplace should never be over sexualized, and that's definitely like an issue, and this trend can definitely play into that and kind of over emphasize sexualizing women.
Speaker 2: So me and Jesse were brainstorming on like a different name that we would have given this.
Speaker 1: Trend, and we came to the conclusion that we love the wine girly. Yeah it was it's a red wine girl, Yeah, the red wine girl, red wine maker. This trend is for the red wine girlies.
Speaker 2: And the reason being when we describe what the trend is and what it looks like, you've got like a brown lip liner with a dew charriage, hairy leap, like that's the standout to me.
Speaker 1: And then like this smudgy eyeliner, which like really emphasizes the sultry like alluring eyes. Yeah, and I don't think it's reserved just for people with brown eyes, but I think it really enhances people with brown eyes. It does, and that kind of gives off that dark feminine look. It trend looks so beautiful on you, particularly, like I love this makeup look on you, and it's a fun trend in terms of what it actually looks like and what you're trying to portray and the vibe you're giving off. Like if you're going out for a night with the girlies and I'm getting a red wine, I'm doing my red Wine maker. Yeah, I'm doing the red Wine makeup.
Speaker 2: And that's kind of a name that we would attribute to this trend rather than sexy Secret Charry.
Speaker 1: Just for it to feel like only be coless weird, Like, if you think about it, we've got thirteen fourteen year olds on TikTok saying this not really realizing, like yeah, you know, it just doesn't sit right. Yeah, kind of like the weight of the name.
Speaker 2: So red wine, girly, this makeup look, how would we achieve it?
Speaker 1: Okay, I love doing this makeup look and I love a bit of red wine. So my favorite way to achieve this is using the makeup by Mario Master Matt's palette from Sephora. It is more on the expensive side. It's ninety four dollars. But in my opinion, this palette has every shade that I ever need. Whenever I do an eye shadow palette, I could have no other eyeshadow palette and I'd be okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's just created with mastery in mind. Like makeup by Mario is such an incredible makeup artist, and that really translates through this product. You've got every shade you would possibly, every nude shade, every round shade. You've got your black there, yep, You've got like in between shades of beige's contouring flies.
Speaker 1: You've got everything. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Perfect, Such a beautiful palette and it's really easy to achieve this like smoky look on the eye with the palette.
Speaker 1: So how would you do it? My favorite way to do it is I go in with the lighter shade, the white over my whole eyelid. Then what I do is I go in with like I mix a couple of the different base shades and a light brown and I put that in my creaseed sess. I really fluff it through. And I'm not the best at like an eye makeup look. But what's great about this trend is that it's supposed to be messy. So this is good. If you're like I can't do ie makeup, yes, so.
Speaker 2: True, this is really good. It doesn't have to be perfect and precisely perfect makeup. It's just about creating that like texture and dimension for the eye.
Speaker 1: And then my favorite part is I don't need a different eyeline or a different product. I go in with an angled brush and I use the black shade and I smudge that as my eyeliner and it just looks great.
Speaker 2: Creating a wing with a black eyeshadow is so much easier than any liquid product and it gives that smoking it's perfect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's super sexy. It looks so good. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So that's one aspect of this look. It's it's the alluring eye. And then I would say the next aspect of this look is.
Speaker 1: The cherry one lip. Yummy, this trend. I love seeing it and it is so juicy and it's really actually super easy less to achieve. Yeah. All you need is like a brown lipliner and a cherry lip oil or a lip gloss. Okay, So my favorite lipliner to use would be the Mecha Max lipliner in Super You can buy this from Mecha. It's only sixteen dollars. Yummy. Yeah, this is it's such a good color.
Speaker 2: So it's the shade super and it looks good on really every skin tone because it's that deep chocolate reddish brown. It's only sixteen bucks from Mecha. And you want to really kind of powerdily overline your lips, so I like to in the center not really define my cupid's bow, but kind of round it out a little bit for that juicy effect.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, that's what.
Speaker 2: I like to do to kind of get that alluring liplock. And then we're going to go in in the center of the lip with.
Speaker 1: The nixt Professional Makeup fat Oil lip Drip lip gloss. Fat Oils just called it the fat oil because da that's a long name. You can get that for twenty dollars from Priceline.
Speaker 2: So super accessible again, and it's a beautiful texture in terms of the product. It's just going to make your lips look fat and juicy, and the color is the perfect cherry and mixed in with that brown lip look, it's really going to like enhance that red wine vibe.
Speaker 1: Especially if you're drinking a little bit of red wine. That shade was called newsfeed, newsfeed, yeah, which is kind of like a vibe of this red wine red wine with my news feed look. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: So this is such a fun trend, and I think it really does look best if you're going to give off that alluring look.
Speaker 1: I think it's a good nighttime look. Yeah, it's a nighttime look. It's a good like first date look. If you're trying to.
Speaker 2: Emulate I'm interesting, yeah, a powerful, mysterious woman.
Speaker 1: Don't you feel you get that? I get that, Like, what's that trend that we always say that we're not, Oh, fem fatale, fem fatale. Me and Jesse say, we're like, I I Am not femfatal at all. Sure, Like we're short. We don't don't like the height to like to be mysterious tempatal like short.
Speaker 2: But I still, regardless, do like to play into this trend and think it's really really fun. So in terms of the other trend that we're seeing so much of, as in this is flooding my TikTok feed and I've actually already played into this trend and created my own video. But it's the Sabrina Carpenter makeup look. It is trending so much.
Speaker 1: I think this is on the opposite spectrum of this one of the sexy secretary wine girly makeup look. Yeah, and the reason being is this is more of a regurgitation of victorious secret bombshell makeup. And we saw this super super popular in like the early twenty tens, and I remember watching millions of beauty guru YouTube videos on this, So it's really interesting to see this trend resurface. But Sabrina's definitely or her makeup artist has definitely put another spin on this trend and catered it towards her enter this generation with the new kind of products and techniques that are used. It looks really really good on her. I might say I love her. Her makeup is always hitting, it's always on points, so no wonder everyone wants to look like that. Yeah, she looks plump, glowy, just stunning, and I think it's really youthful as well.
Speaker 2: It is, and it's kind of the complete opposite of the sexy secretary trend, as you said, where this is giving off that light feminine energy that I'm really approachable and I'm like.
Speaker 1: Angel La La La. Yeah, Yeah, I'm angel girl La La La.
Speaker 2: Also, I think that there are two types of people who play into the different trends, and I think Sexy Secretary was kind of a revolt against the clean girl trend that was pushed upon us so hard over the last year on TikTok. That was one of the longer standing trends I've ever seen on TikTok.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the slick back hair. Yeah, and now we're seeing everyone going, oh no, the slick back hair. Everyone in my head is giving me breakage.
Speaker 2: And literally people are kind of revolting against that and using the sexy second terry, that smudgy vibe. And that's been really cool to see because I kind of got over that clean girld trend. It just was pushed in our faces way too much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then we've got this Sabrina carbon to look, which I think is almost an extension of the clean Galaxy stir. It's like elevator, but it's elevated and instead of the slick back hair, it's the perfect blowout. Yeah. Oh, her blowout is pretty body. She has good hair, let's be real, silent, great hair.
Speaker 2: I really feel like I love the way this looks on me personally, because your features. Yeah, it's really bright, and it's really fresh, and it's very inviting, and it's not as deep and alluring and mysterious as what looks good on you. What this trend looks like is basically a really beautiful glowy overall finish to the makeup. So you've got very pinched cheeks that look like very pink and very like glowy.
Speaker 1: This is so much more blushy than the previous very heavy on the blush, very heavy on the blush, and then on the eye you've got this glowy look, especially in the inner corner, and it's almost coming down underneath the tear duct to give off this sparkly angel glow angelic look to the eyes, which is so beautiful and captivating. What product do you use to do that?
Speaker 2: So I recently got my hands on this stunning product from Bobby Brown. It is their long waar cream shadow stick in Moonstone fifty one dollars from Sephora. So it is a little bit more on the pricey side, but it is so beautiful and it's so easy to use. So it's a cream shadow stick, so that means you can literally just draw it on top of an eye on top of What that means you can draw it on top of any eye look very easily with minimal effort. As in I literally take the crayon, put it inside on my tea duct and then all on the top of my eyelid, and then I just tap it in with my fingers and boom, you what, I'm just.
Speaker 1: Stuck on the inside of my tee duct, inside my tear duct, well on top of your tear duct obviously, But it gives this gorgeous sheene and this beautiful like ethereal glow, almost fairy like and angelic. So it is so beautif and very very easy to use that products.
Speaker 2: I love it, and it's definitely multipurpose too, Like I would love to see this on the top of the cheekbones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would it be a great highlighter. Yeah, I definitely use it for that. I remember seeing it over your eye at night. You were just glowing in the dark nat really really good. Anytime the light hits you, it's just like carries yeah, very pretty, very reflective. So that is one product to really help achieve that look. So any highlight or shimmer on the eyes going to look really good anyway. So you've got that, and then it's all about the cheeks. And we're going to lay you in on the exact product Sabrina Carpenter uses exactly. I saw this product in an article and I just so happened to have it received in the mail that day. It's delicious. It is delicious, and it's another product from Makeup by Mario. They really know what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Oh, he's such a phenomenal creator, Like his looks are incredible and then his products are just as good. So it is the Makeup by Maro Soft Pomp Plump pink blush shade in Pinch Me Pink. It's fifty five dollars from Sephora, and yep, this is the exact blush that Sabrina Carpenter has been using if you've seen her at Coachella, if you've seen her new Espresso music video. It is so beautiful and the blush itself is very easy to use and it applies so like a dream I understand, like plumping blush, yeah, because it really does plump up those lists and plumps yeah and looks so damn good and.
Speaker 1: Like when you like put the brush in the compact, it kind of bounces. It does. It's like it's a really nice, creamy formula. So I use that with a big fluffy brush or a beauty blender, and I like to just tap that on the top of the cheeks whilst I still have all my wet products on. Oh so not on top of a powder. Never put cream products on top of a powder. It will make it split.
Speaker 2: It really does, just separate the makeup. So that's why I like to use this cream blush only on top of foundation. And then I like to set it with a little bit of just stop it. I mean, does he have the giggles now?
Speaker 1: I like to set it with a little bit of just like translucent powder so it's not too tacky so it doesn't transfer. Yeah that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but these two products together are really going to help you achieve that ethereal angelic glow that Sabrina Kappenta has and.
Speaker 1: I'm woken they I've had that line stuck in my head. Everyone's been singeing that so literally it's so good. I love it. What I'd say wrapping these two trends up is that give both a try with your products that you have at home. Make it work. It's all about the way you're applying these products, those techniques and see what you like and let us know. Because I'm a big fan of the Wine girly makeup and Jamie's a big fan of Superna Carpenter's makeup Bombshell era, So you know you're gonna find one that suits you within these two trends and saying.
Speaker 2: That I've tried this sexy Secretary red wine and I still think it does look good on me, but I do look better with the Sabrina Cuppa trends. So it really just shows you that when you do do yeah, when you do play.
Speaker 1: Into these trends for fun, you really can find something that works for you very well. But you don't need to, obviously feel compelled to play into these trends if it's not your style. Yeah, Like, if you've got thing, you've got it. If you want to have some fun tried out exactly.
Speaker 2: I love these new techniques that we're seeing from a lot of TikTokers and influencers on social media. It's really cool to watch how makeup is being used and the techniques that are being used and the evolution of that from like the YouTube days, people's techniques are amazing, So it's really really fun and I love these two trends and they're definitely trending for different reasons and for the right reasons.
Speaker 1: And that's it for today's episode. Guys, thank you so much for joining us today on Skinfluence. If you love what you hear, leave us a rating end of review. If you're interested in any of the products mentioned in today's episode, there are links available in the episode description on your podcast app. And if you have a question or want us to cover anything on the pod, please reach out via our socials. Mine is at Jamie jo and mine is at jessemisud. We'd love to hear from you.
Speaker 2: Or you can even send us an email at Skinfluence at Nova Podcasts dot com dot au.
Speaker 1: See you next week. Hi, guys, we love you.