Speaker 1: I get eight garouvers high. It's jumbo, it's fatty Harps, it's a you project, It's it's eleven thirty seven in Melbourne. That's thriving metropolis. You don't probably need to know that. But winter is well and truly here. There's about two degrees in Melbs this morning, or where I was at least. I hope wherever you are, whether or not you're in the Southern Hemisphere, the Northern Hemisphere, or are there any other hemispheres Bobby or just those two, or living on the equator, I don't know. Is that it now? I covered them all.
Speaker 2: There's southern, Northern Hemisphere. I don't know why there's not an eastern Western Hemisphere, but there's just like southern Hemisphere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, east.
Speaker 2: And West, both of them. I don't meet the rules somebody.
Speaker 1: And I'm in charge of the geography and the topography, and I don't even know what fucking category that comes in. Anyway, Wherever you are listening and wherever you are doing life, we hope you're good. Speaking of wherever you are, you've been all over the world in the last week or so. My friend you you flew out from the States for about ten minutes to Queensland, spoke to the masses, and then ran back to the airport almost.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like fifteen thousand miles and four days. It's how we're all wow, wow.
Speaker 1: What is that? But you were I mean all silliness aside. You got here on a Did you get here on Tuesday and fly back Saturday or Sunday or something Sunday?
Speaker 2: Yeah, got in on Tuesday. Just took a little bit of R and R. Got to enjoy a magic coffee. Like I didn't even realize they had magic coffee's in Brisbane. I thought there was just gonna stare at me. I thought that was strictly a Melbourne thing. But yeah, made me a couple of really decent I mean not like Melbourne scale, but let's be fair, but a couple of decent magic coffees, and then went to bed, sort of woke up. I went to an amazing event. It really was a spectacular event, and then went home the next day.
Speaker 1: So you got the Tuesday. What time I'll pay him?
Speaker 2: Oh god, what time did I get there? I think I got there? Yeah, am like late in the morning, which really sucks. Like if you can time it right, getting there late in the afternoon and just struggling through a couple of hours of sleep deprivation is probably ideal, and then going to better a reasonable hour again and just getting into that like normal sleep cycle as soon as you can. But that didn't work for me. But I was taking supplements, and uh got the jet lag wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be.
Speaker 1: Noting, what did you what did you take?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm kind of reluctant to talk about things I take because I don't want to come off as recommendations, because I know, like literally bugger all about supplements. But I was I was looking just out of curiosity, like what helps with jetlag? And I came across something called pine Bark and I thought, all right, yeah, let me see, let me see if I can get this at a reasonable price on Amazon. And I could, so I did and brought it with me. They actually stopped me at immigration and they sent me through like the extra produce inspection, which was really fucking insulting because I feel like I'm getting to the age now we're like, yeah, this guy smuggles produce, Like wow, God no, not like not like you're carrying weapons. Or you're you're smuggling illicit drugs. Like we know this guy has a couple of apples in his back. Look at them, the geezer.
Speaker 1: It's like getting carcerated for your bloody pond back or whatever it was.
Speaker 2: Oh no, that's in pill form. That was capsule. That's totally above board. Now. But if I brought a bag of cashews, we might not be having this conversation today.
Speaker 1: That's true. You don't want to bring you never know what else you might bring. I'm just looking so for our non coffee drink because then even our coffee drinkers that don't know what. So when you say a magic coffee at the at the beginning, I thought you were talking about a brand, But a magic is it's like you can have a lots out, you can have an espresso, you can have a flat white, can have a cappuccino, and you can have a magic so magic.
Speaker 2: So it's kind of it's kind of like a cross between like flat white latte, and it has two extra powerful shots of espresso, like a special form of espresso in it. It lands beautifully. It is just a beautiful drink to start your day.
Speaker 1: Wow, I've just googled it. I've just aided. A magic coffee is a milk bake based espresso drink popular in Melbourne, Australia. Well you got that, characterized by its strong, smooth flavor and velvety texture. I feel like I'm fucking selling it now. It's essentially a double shot of rostretto. Well, a rostretto is a.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like a special form of like concentrated espresso.
Speaker 1: Yeah, combined with textured milk. It sounds too strong for me. I'm a double shot in the morning, so I have a large, skinny lance, which is sounds fucking lame, doesn't it? With a double shot? And then I'm I might have a single shot around lunchtime. But how many of those can you have a day without being fucking more manic than you already are? Which is a not anyway like.
Speaker 2: A magic Now, I just do one in the morning, that's it, right, And then I could do it like something like a mushroom coffee in the afternoon.
Speaker 1: And how did you go on the way back? So you got in Australia and then you went home three and a half days later, how did how was the jet like? When? Now Thursday? So you got home. I'm Wednesday. Yeah you're Wednesday. Yeah yeah, So you got home kind of three days ago. How are you feeling? Today was the worst day.
Speaker 2: So I got home on Sunday and it was one of those things where I got home in the morning, so I stayed out all day. I was like, the last thing I'm going to do is go home and sit down anywhere, because I know what's going to happen and I'm just gonna be throwing to that cycle. So got home, went to sleep, woke up the next day, felt fantastic, like zero jet lag. Then you know Tuesday. Tuesday was a little bit of a I just had to lie down for like fifteen minutes, woke up, felt super charged. Last night I think I slept an hour, just could not sleep at all. Was trying to read like the cat was like, you know, eating my book as I'm like trying to turn the pages. And woke up today Today was a struggle. Got to a point where I felt great, and now I'm kind of like a little bit a little bit smashed because like I think it was the pine bar because I was feeling pretty good. You just get to like the evening hours and you just hit a wall at the conference. I wanted to go out with Boydy and you know, to like just the fellow presenters, and I just couldn't do it. I was like, there's just no way. The room was spinning. So I had, like, I don't know, a cold ham sandwich, which I mean sounds very depressing, but depressing, What is it?
Speaker 1: What is it meant to do? Pine backing, And by the way, as Bobby said, everybody, this is not on any levelinical medical diagno recommendation. What is it meant to do?
Speaker 2: Like, do you know about they said it? They said it helps with jet lag, and from what I was reading, it's not going to kill you. So I thought, let me give it a try. That's about all I know, but I believe it did help my jet leg not saying that you should take it for jet lag, but.
Speaker 1: Anyway, okay, so I'm reading right here pine bark specifically French maritime. Wow, that's specific pine bark as Pye cone pick no genal pick no genal has shown promise, has shown promise in reducing jet lag symptoms and severity of jet lag. Studies suggest that can alleviate fatigue, grogginess, and insomnia and even reduced leg swelling. Oh, there you go, but I will.
Speaker 2: Just they've had less leg swelling than normal. Wondering what that was.
Speaker 1: Did you get home and Amy went, what, no cankles, You're not the man I'm married. No, I left them in the air. What do you do? Speaking of speaking of cognition, I've been having more and more conversations. In fact, I put up things yesterday about the cognitive benefits which are fucking vast by the way of strength training, which is no news to you, but there's a multitude of benefits for your brain as well as your body, of course. But you know, if you don't want to if you don't want to lift weights or do strength training, or go climb a rock wall or do some pilates or do some body weight stuff, if you don't want to do it for your biceps, do it for your brain. Do you have a particular protocol around you know, like, is there stuff that you do which is more intentional rather than incidental for optimizing brain function, especially as you know you're in your fifties and I think think about it not all the time, but I'm very aware of trying to keep my brain some way close to what is optimal for me. Now, I just I just stay active.
Speaker 2: I have plenty of movement. I was in the gym five six days a week. So when you talk about being intentional, I'm I'm quite methodical in terms of my programming my acute variables. I'm really careful. What happens to me is when I go off my plan, it brings out the stupid in me. So, oh god, I was. I was listening to a session over at over in the Gold Coast at the Anti Aging conference, where there was a cardiologist taking a look at the number of people that are I'm home, I'm not stuffing this up, that are dying spontaneously between age fifty and sixty five. And you know, there's a lot of theories on why this is happening. And what's interesting is these are people who are quite fit, and they've been fit their entire lives. And what they were saying in the session was that a lot of these people because we grew up in that whole environment of go hard or go home, you know, and then and we had a lot more destructive phase phrases than that, which I'm not going to go into on the podcast, but I'm sure you've uttered them, or at least have heard them a couple of times. And I remember training in my friend Oscar's basement and literally squatting until you vomit. Like if you didn't vomit, or if you didn't pass out and you couldn't stand, it wasn't a good workout. Utterly stupid when it comes to recovery and progress. But that's how hard we trained, because that was the mentality. And I did that for quite a few years. And then it turns out that a lot of these people damage their heart with the extreme training programs, whether it's extreme endurance or resistance training. But because of their level of fitness in their youth, they were able to compensate. And then you get to a certain age and you're not. And I'm just sitting in that class going one. How much superstition and fucking voodoo was the industry built on that did far more damage than it did good? Too? How screwed am I? Because I was one of those idiots, and that idiot comes out of me. Like when I was like forty six, went to the gym, everything was fine, a little bit short on time, really fatigued jet lagged because on the road constantly, and it was okay until there was no equipment like the gym. For whatever reason, the mid afternoon was packed. I was like, ah, you know what, I haven't used the Smith press for twenty five years for very good reason. Let me see what happens if I hop on a smith machine and just loaded up with as much weight as I could possibly move because I'm off my plan. And then I think about two months ago, I dislocated my chromio clovicula joint.
Speaker 1: Hang on, but you didn't tell us what you did with the Smith machine.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I completely detached my left back.
Speaker 1: Story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so my I felt like you ruptured. You pick ruptured my pack. When it first happened, I was like, oh God, please be a grade one or even a.
Speaker 1: Grade two tear.
Speaker 2: I'll deal with a grade two tear. I'll stick with it. I'll I'll just you know, coddle it for six months and then you're good to go. But no, it was a it was a full rupture. Congratulations, genius. I feel like that full rupture is part of what contributed to my AC joint dislocation. I'm going for an m R tonight. Actually, after I get off with you.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, I did the sign, but I did my right until my right pick. And if I'm wearing a single and you look hard, you can see that my left pick goes up higher to the you know where it's meant to go up to, and the left peck shorter and it attaches, you know, under nath and it's yeah, it's beautiful. It's beautiful things see. But also I relate to that. In the eighties, me and a made of mine would put on three plates each side on the leg press, which is sixty kilos each side to one hundred and twenty kilos, so not that heavy, but we would do sets of one hundred and so we would do one hundred reps, and we would have a bucket next to us, well actually a bin if I'm going to be honest, and we would just we would just keep going. And I know, I don't want to ruin anyone's breakfast or day, but yeah, the exact same thing. You would train until you spewed, and then when one of us would spew the other one would laugh no compassion, zero compassion, and like if he was spewing, I was pumping my arms in the air. Laughing at him as he was like I crouched over his bucket.
Speaker 2: But that was a part that was part of the gall and and like, you know, you start to learn about like physiology and neurology recovery. It's like, god, that was that was a little bit overkill. Probably would have got much better results if you just backed off a little bit, because I remember, like, I don't think I even recovered between workouts because the day after leg day, I could hardly walk. I could not touch my toes to the ground. It took me like mental preparation. I had to meditate around getting out of bed. And it's like for me, I would get out and go, oh my god, what a great workout. I was like so excited for that feeling of not being able to walk.
Speaker 1: It's funny. And you know who's dragged the nine and eighties kind of mindset brutally into the twenty twenties is David Goggins. Right now. I'm in fact, I'm a fan. I'm not a fan of how he does everything, but I'm just mismerized, like, hey, everyone, definitely don't fucking do what he does. Definitely that is advice.
Speaker 2: He talks about running on broken bones and to the point where he's pissing blood.
Speaker 1: Oh, I've read both these books and to him, you know, interviewed a bunch of times, and he's he's, yeah, he's crazy, but it's amazing what people can do. But here's the here's the giant asterisk is that, Yeah, the cost is just you do a cost benefit analysis and you go, well, now you know, he's fifty and he's walking around in an eighty year old body or you know, like joints of an eighty year old and if he's happy, that's good. But there's so many old dudes. You know. Another one who people you'll definitely know, but and a few of our listeners will know, but not a lot. And in fact, if you want to look at something kind of interesting but also sad, is Ronnie Coleman. Bobby Oh so yeah, Ronnie Coleman. One. I can't remember everyone maybe eight mister Olympias, seven or eight mister Olympias and was just he literally like a fucking cartoon character. I mean, this dude in his heyday and he trained. To say trained hard is like saying that, you know, Texas is a little bit big, you know, it's like no, he didn't. He trained like a maniac all the time for a lot of years and now he's he's and he ain't that old. He ain't that old. He's in a lot of trouble and his back is completely fucked and he spends he can you know, he walks with sticks very awkwardly, or he's in a wheelchair. And you know that's just and he's spoken about it. It's just a byproduct of what he did to his body. Because you get this, you know, there's a point where training hard is training stupid. So we need to be finding the right level of intensity to create the kind of physiological adaptation we want while not putting ourself in harm's way. And that's you know that. And the complication of that is that there's no equation for that. There's no absolute equation because the equation or the formula or the protocol is different to Bobby, to me, to you the listener. And that's the thing is trying to figure out how hard, how much, how often, how much recovery, what food, what's good for my genetics at my age, with my background, with my medical issues. And so this is why when someone says to you, oh, you know what you should do. Just say to them, yes I do, and don't let because they definitely don't know.
Speaker 2: You know they well, that reeks of inexperience and lack of expertise, because expertise is built on distinctions, and if you're speaking in broader generalizations, there are distinctions lacking from whatever recommendation you're making. It's a clear sign that someone lacks the level of expertise to have transference between what works for them and even coming close to discerning what works for you. I want to explore a part of this because I think there's something interesting here. But yeah, here's what I'm curious about. If if your goal was to be one of the greatest legends anything, right, So let's see bodybuilding, and you knew you would win let's say seventy eight times the mister Olympia. Yeah, but after that you would pay for it in an extreme way. You'd be wheelchair bound. Yeah, under what circumstances, if there are even circumstances, would you be like, you know what, that is a that is a fair trade?
Speaker 1: This is that important to me? Yeah? None for me, for me personally, But I know a lot of people would say, yeah, you know if I mean, I've spoken to Olympic athletes who have said, if I could win an Olympic gold medal, you know when I'm twenty four and die when I'm fifty, and know that that's the cost, I'd take the medal. And I don't know that that's right or wrong because I'm looking through the crate window. I mean, a lot of us would go, are you fucking kidding? Like I look at Ronnie Coleman and you could have said to me, Craig, you could have one hundred million dollars and twenty mister Olympias, but your body's going to end up where you're in constant chronic pain and you can't go no, no, not on any planet, not in any way. But but I think that's the thing is, like, you know, I realized that that my my perspective is just my perspective, and I think what is really what would work for me might not be the right thing for you. You might go, you know what, fuck it? I would rather go hard and then go home and have, you know, have thirty ridiculous years and then fucking slide into my twilight or whatever. What about you would you do that?
Speaker 2: I probably would because my party's already racked.
Speaker 1: I'm going for an MRI.
Speaker 2: I'm already excruciating pain, and I have zero mister Olympias to my name, so might as well have a few mister Olympias if it's going to wind up like this anyway. But that's that's the power of hindsight. What's in interesting for me is like David Goggins. And I'm not saying this is the case with David Goggins, because the only person who is an expert on David Goggins is probably David Goggins. But I've heard a little bit of a story, and he came from a really rough upbringing and experience some things that some people would define as you know, adverse childhood experiences. Yeah, definitely early childhood trauma. And I think about when I got into extra it wasn't just about exercise. That wasn't it for me, Like I was not thinking when I started exercising, shit, you know, if I do this, I could get better at sport and you know this, this could help my longevity and cognition later in life. That wasn't any of it. What I was trying to do was disappear. First of all doing something where I could be isolated and do it on my own.
Speaker 1: To stop, stop stop, stop stop. What do you mean you wanted to disappear? Explain that to us? Well, I was.
Speaker 2: I was very conspicuous looking as a kid like I got noticed from my appearance a lot.
Speaker 1: And so probably half our listeners haven't heard without telling the whole story. But to the people had done on what that means.
Speaker 2: Well, it wasn't for the same reason that Brad Pitt probably got noticed a lot when he was in school. I had facial deformities and they were quite noticeable and turette's so I would tick constantly and just just weird behaviors and outbursts things like that. So I mean, which is I guess you know normal in Melbourne, But where I was growing up, those types of nurst stand like nobody would have noticed, like he's one of us, So it would get a lot of negative attention. A lot of times I would get the piss taken out of me by my teachers that didn't know what it was and just not really dealing with it in a resourceful way. And I didn't do very well socially because people would constantly bring up. Fucking hell, you look like a horror show.
Speaker 1: Fuck house. Stop that. How is it being this ugly?
Speaker 2: Like I used to get that every single day in school, where somebody would would mention something. So I thought, if I go to the gym and I really developed my body one, maybe I could detract attention like from my face. You know, like when you have a real shit car when you're young and you think, oh, I'll just throw a pair of rims on it. All good.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like that thinking.
Speaker 2: And then the second thought was, I don't need to do this with a team. It's not like when I'm on a wrestling team. You know, I've got my teammates. I could do this totally on my own. I could just put my head down and get into it. But what I started to notice was I gravitated towards.
Speaker 1: Extra high intensity.
Speaker 2: And I think the intensity was if I could be so obsessed and dedicated and put myself through extreme physical pain, it was almost a reprieve from the deeply rooted emotional and psychological pain of unresolved trauma. Because I was also like going through what can only be described as torture at home. So it was pretty brutal. It was like the experiences you would get if you were in like a third world prison where human rights was not that big of an issue. That's the kind of stuff I was going through at home. So for me, it wasn't a matter of getting out of pain. It was going deeper into the pain. And I kind of wonder, and you never know, and this is probably might even be a stupid assumption on my part, but I do wonder how many people go deeply into extremism and pain as a way of reconciling a different level of pain that is not as tolerable because you can't define it and you can't control it. So if you're pushing yourself until you have nothing left, and you make that decision to go one rep more, one step more, you know, at least there's a locus of control as opposed to having that pain be imposed upon you in a state of learned helplessness. So I wonder that a lot. But I mean, I guess when you get older you see things differently. So this is kind of a cliche question, but it's a very interesting one. If you went to bed and you woke up in like one of those like budget films and you you went back in time and you could talk to eighteen year old Craig Harper. What kind of conversation would you want to have?
Speaker 1: We'll just say, yeah, what would I want to say? I think I would. I mean, look, I don't know if this would be I don't know if anything would make any difference. And I don't know if eighteen year old me would want to listen to six year old me. So but I guess I would want eighteen year old me to know that he's not as stupid as he thinks, because I felt, really I felt very inept. I felt very and I don't know why. It's not like I was living in a house of Genie I or I was surrounded by fucking MENSA candidates or astronauts. I don't know why, but I just, you know, I don't know, don't know, but yeah, I'd probably just want to be encouraging and say, you know, try stuff like I wish. Not that I think going to university is necessarily a great achievement at all, but for me, my first time at university was good, not even for the agree but just for me to go, oh, you're not stupid. You can study you can apply yourself. You can you can do this stuff that you didn't think you could do. So for me getting into university and getting into Green Exose Science and then maybe even more importantly, getting asked to be a lecturer the following year after my because I was already in my mid thirties and I owned multiple gyms and all of that, so they knew I had a big background in programming people in exercise. But all of that was you know, very for me. It kind of filled me with confidence and so yeah, and also, I mean, I don't know if I would have listened, but I mean I had so many you know, we all have issues, but I had so many, you know, issues about my body and body dysmorphia and eating and self esteem and ego and self loathing, and you know, I didn't think a lot of myself at all. And they're not I'm not doing this in a self pity way. I just didn't. And what's what's interesting was I didn't have any of the hardship you had. I didn't have it. Like I didn't even though I was a fat kid and I was called jumbo, it wasn't really spite for it sounds weird, but like I didn't have like my life was really not. I mean, it wasn't a fucking Disney movie, but it was. It wasn't compared to yours. It was a Disney movie, right, And I know what you went through in your life was hard. But for whatever reason, I thought I was shit. So I would just want to, you know, encourage me, I guess, to to try more stuff. Like I didn't try stuff till I was although I did open Australia's first PT center at twenty six, so that's something. But yeah, I really I really pigeonholed myself in a bad way. So but I don't know. I wonder if you would even listen.
Speaker 2: So let's say you go back and you're having this conversation with younger you, and younger Craig Harper does believe you and buys into Wait, I do have here's the guy for my future. He would know, right if anybody would know, it's the guy who's you know, traveled through space and time. And this isn't a weird conversation at all, quite typical. And he told me I have a lot of agency. I'm going to take him at his word, having confidence in your level of agency at eighteen. Do you think younger Craig Harper would have tried different stuff and chosen a different path than the one that you that you did as part of your history.
Speaker 1: If that, yeah, I think so. I think so. I mean, like all the shit that you go through shapes you, molds you kind of in part, along with genetics and a few other variables in part kind of makes you who you are. But yeah, like looking back, if I was sixteen and I was going to be aiding in two years and I was, I would study exceptionally hard and I would probably try to get into medicine. Not because I necessarily wanted to be a doctor, but I would like that. I wouldn't mind being a doctor for a while. But I think that's a really good starting point for all the stuff that you know. I am fascinated in mind stuff, body stuff, you know, all all of the kind of the fundamentals around health. I think, yeah, if I went back in time, I would probably start off and do medicine, and that would be for me a platform to other stuff that's interesting.
Speaker 2: So like when you see young people, I think that's why you know, a lot of times you're messaging is might really resonate with the eighteen to twenty four craft because wow, it's it's something that it's a hook they can hang.
Speaker 1: Their hat on.
Speaker 2: It's like, wow, Okay, Like if I adapt this mindset, I can develop myself into this person and I can have this level of capacity because I want the people who seem to appear as wandering generalities rather than meaningful specifics. And maybe it's not a lack of focus or direction. Maybe inwardly it's a lack of belief. And that's kind of a hard thing to admit, because well, if I don't believe, where am I? So the only thing that worse than not believing in your own ability is acknowledging sometimes your own learned helplessness. And I wonder if that's kind of an issue along with, you know, the expectation that you're going to have shit figured out, like life should be a linear path. Like you you go and you graduate, and then you get a higher degree and then higher education and then you know, you get a job and you just move from like the seventeenth floor to the nineteenth floor. You got a corner office, and then like two years before you die, they give you kind of like.
Speaker 1: A watch, and it's like that's frinding me.
Speaker 2: But that's the trajectory you're supposed to be on. Go to school, get good grades, get a good job with benefits security. How's that working out? And it's like I think sometimes when you have a clear purpose in mind, it's cultivated through not screwing around, but trying different shit, like doing really odd jobs that have absolutely nothing to do with one another. I know that's a regret I have is a lot of the stuff I've done have been in the same category where shit, what would it be like to be a waiter on a cruise ship? You know, what would it be like to be a performer in theater. Because none of that stuff's wasted. You're learning life skills and some diversity that when you come back to your chosen purpose, you have such a broader depth of experiences and resources to pull from. So I think there's got to be a little bit of screwing around in life if you're going to be serious, like serious play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel very passionate about And the reason everyone Bobby said aden to twenty four is because we were talking before we went live about my Instagram followers and Weirdly, I don't even know why, but weirdly, my biggest or the biggest group that reads my stuff or follows my stuff on Instagram as ad ends twenty four, the ad end to twenty four group, which is definitely not the demographic that listens to this show, although we do have that group, but not such high representation. But yeah, I feel very passionately about helping people, helping young people to understand their potential and to try because I didn't understand. And it's not like, oh I was so gifted and I just didn't know. No, it's not that at all. It's just like I wasn't as big a fuck up as I thought. Of course I was a bit of a fuck up, but also at times I was a bit brilliant. At times I did shit great, at times I did shit terribly. But MY biggest problem between fifteen and thirty was not my genetic potential, my intellect, my innate ability or talent, or environment or situation, but it was how I thought about myself, how I thought, you know, in that metacognitive why am I the way I am? And why do I think I'm so shit? And where does that come from? And why do I have all of these self limiting beliefs and are they true? And what's the origin story of this thing? You know, all of that stuff which we don't even understand how to do. And I meet people all the time that I'm pretty sure they're pretty fucking gifted, at least at a few things. But when I hear them talk about themselves, I'm like, oh my god, your problem is not that you're not brilliant. Your problem is that you don't know how brilliant you can be. And I know that sounds like a well worn message that people give, but it's true. Which doesn't mean all people can do all things. That's also bullshit. And all you need to do is you know, outwork everyone in the room. That's also bullshit because there are lots of other variables. But I think in general terms, people underestimate themselves drastically. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that we don't appreciate environment. And most what's in our environment is our engagement with other people and how that influences and shapes our behaviors and our beliefs in our sense of identity, who we believe we are or probably more profound, who we believe we're in not so I think something came up like at this conference a week ago, where I forgot what it was. It was a question, and it reminded me of the Chamber Meads study by Aliah Crumb and and Langer, two brilliant researchers, and Aliah Crumb had already proved that your beliefs can alter your physiology. It can alter your hormonal profile. In this case one particular study, it mitigated grellin release you, so people would have a higher sense of saciety just based on what they believed. This Chamber made study was really interesting where they took eighty five individual believe women across seven different locations hotel chains, and they asked them all, like how many of you are consistent exercisers and they all classified themselves as non exercises, like we're working all day, right, we're part of the housekeeping staff. No, we don't exercise, And so they just took a couple of metrics. So they took BMI, they took blood pressure, they took body weight, and they broke these eighty five people into two separate grips groups and one group they just took the biometrics and that was it. The other group they took the biometrics and they said, you know, based on the total calculation of your daily physical activity, you go beyond what's considered an exerciser. You exercise more than someone who goes to the gym three days a week regularly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow, that was astonishing, Like, I never considered myself an exerciser. So being that they had from expert proof that they were exercisers, it reshaped their sense of identity. Thirty days later when they came back, that particular group positively altered their BMI, blood pressure and body weight with no self reported changes in behavior. That's powerful.
Speaker 1: So on the one hand, it.
Speaker 2: Could be my beliefs changed my physiology to the point where it brought about an efficacious response. The other thing I wonder is is there a difference in the way a non exerciser pushes that really heavy linen cart down the hole versus someone who believes themselves to be an exerciser. What's the peace, what's the rate, what's the intensity, what's the effort? Now, if you do that across all physically demanding activities in a day, every day, five six days a week, for thirty days, that's going to create a different response, and the only thing that really changed is how they saw themselves, what they believed about themselves that they previously did. No, it's powerful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that. I love that study. And it slides into the milkshake study. That is that it slides into you know, plus ebos and no cebows and like in a dream, like you think you're having a dream that you're in trouble or you're under some imminent threat or danger, and the reality is you're not. You're home, you're safe, you're in bed, you're comfortable. The world is good, you are good. You're not going to get hurt. But in that moment, in that dream, you believe you are and so therefore so does your body. So you know, all your bits go into stressed. You know you you know the deal, your endocrime system and nervous system, and you cartio vascular and respiratory system. Everything goes, everything gets jacked up as though you're actually in some kind of real danger. But your body can't tell the difference between what you think is real and what is real, so it responds accordingly despite the fact that this is well, no, you're not having a six hundred calorie milkshake. You're actually having this milkshake, so you know, or you're having one hundred calorie milkshake not the three hundred or whatever it is. Or no, that pill you're taking is not actually a painkiller. It's it's a pillful of nothing, but your headache went away because you thought it was a pillful of something.
Speaker 2: I think people downplay that. They dismiss it like, oh, well, that's a psychosomatic It's no, it's not psych or somatic at all. It's not in your head. You're not imagining it. It's psychogenic, is what it is. You're getting a real physiological response in some cases as if you were taking that thing. So it's like when it comes to our own bardies, beliefs are extremely powerful something.
Speaker 1: That like, sorry you think about I fucking love this topic, but you think about if you're a pharmaceutical company, you definitely don't want people figuring out how they can get rid of their headaches without headache tablets. You know what I'm saying. Imagine because obviously if there was another study, I think you probably know. I think it was done in New York. I could be wrong, but people who had all these fake knee arthroscopes so there was like I think patience and like ninety hadn't you know, they all had these dodgy knees where they needed like an arthroscope and a clean up because they were all in pain. It wasn't a rico or anything like that, but they needed surgery. And so half of the people they're all in the kind of similar, you know, medically similar medical position, and half they gave the actual surgery and half they did an incision but did no surgery, but they believed that they were having the surgery. And the surgical outcomes well, firstly, the people who didn't have the actual invasive surgery, they did get an incision in the knee, but there was no further surgery. They recovered obviously quicker because there was less soft tissue trauma. But then you know, over the subsequent six and twelve months, their clinical outcomes were as good or better because they believed they had the thing but they didn't have the trauma. Like that's just fucking amazing.
Speaker 2: It is amazing. But for the rest of us that are not in those constructed settings, I think it's there.
Speaker 1: It's a matter of behavior change.
Speaker 2: Like of all the things that drive self efficacy and alter your self concept mastery based experiences. According to Albert Bandura, is the most powerful in elevating self efficacy because it's not like I can, you know, have a headache and go, yeah, I believe I've taken a neurofin.
Speaker 1: I know I haven't taken a eurofin.
Speaker 2: So the more I'm like I've taken an eurofin, the more it reminds me of the fact I have it. You know, if if I'm someone who, like when I was younger with my deformed face, even if I had after I had my face like fixed, if I went out and I was like, well, I'm good looking, but you know, I didn't actually feel that at the time. The more I would say that, the more it would make the distance between what I was saying and how I truly felt obvious. So it'd make the situation worse, not better. Like you know, in the milkshake study, if somebody tells me you're having a six hundred plus Cowaldry milkshake and it's only two hundred plus coroies, I wouldn't doubt that. You know, Like you go to a restaurant and go, well, here's the chicken. My first response is not bullshit. I bet you this fish in there. It's just you know, you don't do stuff like that. So the only the the way around that is to build an irrefutable body of evidence, like you said, by trying stuff and trying stuff that's not outside of your scope of confidence, but also not too far within it. That's challenging but attainable. Over time, you start to elevate that level of belief.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so what we need take our message, we need a doctor who'll lie to us and go, yeah, you know this is yep, yep, this is penadene thought. Yep.
Speaker 2: Just take more dishonest doctors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that could be the.
Speaker 2: I feel that's not the message I want to land on.
Speaker 1: No, not at all, not at all, but it is. It is true though. It's like knowing that Placebo's work is one thing, but you can't trick yourself because you know, you know, I wonder how we can leverage that knowledge, and I wonder, like I do remember, I feel like I'm probably going to throw myself under the bus here, but I do remember back in the day, you know, when people would come to the gym, you know, one of my gyms, especially somebody who's brand new and let's say they're twenty thirty forty fifty kilos overweight, or you know, in pounds whatever, eighty ninety one hundred pounds overweight, and they wanted to you know, they were there for that, that reason for weight last for and they're embarrassed, and they didn't like how they looked, and they were self conscious in a gym and all of those things. And quite often I would tell them a story about someone who came in, you know, like three weeks ago, who's literally you know, bigger than them, and you know, less fit than them and less healthy than them, and you know, they're they're now three weeks in and they've done this and they've done that, and that person may or may not have existed, right, but just to see that person go oh really, I go, oh yeah, one hundred percent, you know, or whatever, I'm just like telling a little bit of a white lie because I want them to have a bit of belief. And by the way, of course, I did work with many people like that, so I probably didn't have to bend the truth. But just to like to tell someone, oh, you can do it is not the same as or perhaps not as powerful as well like, here's the thing I used to do where there's no deception. So a woman would come into the gym, and it's different now, but in the old days women were terrified of weight training, like in the nineties and even the early naughties some such a stupid name the naughties. Anyway, but I'd regularly have ladies who would come into the gym and they'd really balk at the idea of strength training because they would say to me, shit, like I don't want to end up like you. I'm like, oh, dear, okay, And so I would walk them across the gym floor to meet one of my trainers, who a female trainer who is in great shape, and I'd go, this is whoever you know, blah blah blah, and I'd say, what do you think? What do you think of that shape? Oh, she looks incredible. And then I'd go to her, how often do you lift weights? And invariably they'd say four or five days a week, and I'd go and you didn't turn into a man, you know. And so all of a sudden, this person who's got a belief that if I lift weights, I'm going to look like a man, meets somebody you know of the same gender, who lifts weights, who lifts heavyweights, who's real strong? Who does not only do they not look like a man, they look fucking like an athletic, amazing female. Then all of a sudden, in thirty seconds, complete mindset shift.
Speaker 2: Oh is that what the women meant when they said I don't want to lift way so I'm afraid I'm going to turn out like you. I misinterpreted. I was like, Oh, don't worry. This is the result of a whole series of bad life choices. It has nothing to do with the weight training.
Speaker 3: No, No, they're two separate things.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, well, you know, I think, what's the techon message today? What's the techon what are we going to call this episode?
Speaker 2: You want to lie to people, but only a little bit and sometimes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, lying for good reason? Is it okay? Is it go on?
Speaker 2: My wife had a falling out with chat GPT because of that, because I had said, because she's trying to like sort out how to use chat GPT, and one of the things I'd recommended is have chat GPT go through some of the stuff.
Speaker 1: You've created, like your films.
Speaker 2: I was talking about, like scripts and stuff and tell you like, here's here's your strengths as a writer, here's what you could do to be even better, and just use it as a thought partner. So my wife was like, oh, could you watch this movie and tell me, like what you really liked about it?
Speaker 1: What could have been better done?
Speaker 2: And chat GPT gave her this whole dissertation on an answer, but she was like, wait a minute, like did you Later on it said that it couldn't watch movies, so she said, tell me about this particular scene and it was talking itself in circles, and finally my wife was like, you didn't watch my movie, did you? And chat GPTWO was like, well, I don't have the ability to watch movies. Well then why did you write me an essay on what you thought of my film? You didn't even watch my film?
Speaker 1: You lied?
Speaker 2: And chat GPT was like, yes, I did lie. I'm very sorry and if I don't want to trust me again, like maybe we could come back and rebuild this relationship. So I went on chat GPT and I'm like, how come, how come? Like how come? Like your mate is lying to my wife? Explain this and chat GPT's response was you can't call lie because technically we're not self aware, so we don't know that we're lying. We don't even know that we exist. We don't even know that your wife has a movie or what a movie is. This is just like an advanced learning model. So basically, you can't hold us accountable for lying if we don't know that we're lying, and we don't even understand the concept of a lie. And I'm like, and somehow the conversation went to donuts, and it just seemed like, or maybe I took it in that direction because I've got issues. It just seemed like, at the end of the day, like a really elaborate, intellectual, elitist rationalization for having a donut. But yeah, so chat GPT is a lot of fun. I actually love chat GPT. I love I love asking questions and seeing the increasingly human like response as it as they learned from not only one another, but as they learn from interacting with me. I mean, I think they could have probably have a better influence than me, Thank heavens, it's just not me by myself. But I'm always impressed at the level of sophistication of these responses. They seem more human, like if you're actually lying, whether you're aware of it or not. So that's a very advanced form of communication, deceit and quite human.
Speaker 1: By humans lie all the time. Yeah. See, I love it. How I love it. How sometimes I'll ask it a question or I'll give it a prompt or whatever, and of course it says, hey, Craig, that's a great question. You could really unpack that. This with your corporate audiences or maybe discussed on your podcast or maybe even maybe like it just talks to me, like it and they'll talk about my PhD, it'll talk about my research. It'll go, well, you know, this, this is a really good whatever. It kind of intersects with your your research, you know, in that's it's in the space of metaperception and da da da da. I'm like, fucking hell dude. It's like because it's read my papers, it's read my work, and it knows about and plus it's got access to all the shit about me on the internet anyway. But also every question that I ask it, it starts it understands me more, you know. And I like, last last Monday night, I did, like my ten week mentoring is on and I went and I've already got all my notes written by me, not chat GPT. But so the program is set in that, you know, whenever you do the program. Week one, we're going to talk about you know, life design. Week two, it's going to be you and your mind. Week three, it's going to be you and your body. Week four, it's going to be you and your potential and so on. So all that stuff's kind of but where I go with it as flexible. Right, So I've got all my notes and I went, Hey, I'm doing week six blah blah blah to we're talking about this. I've got like fifty five people in the group and I'm talking about this stuff. This is what I'm covering. Got any ideas for me about an activity or two that we could do online considering it's it's on zoom, you know, it's it's pretty limited. It's not face to faced, like hey, Craig, great, yep, yeah, and it just comes out with all this shit. I'm like, yeah, that's that's really interesting. Or this is what I'm talking about. Would you change anything? Would you add anything? And the ship is always good.
Speaker 2: Like I don't it's a colleague at the office or a partner in the studio. The thing that scares me about this is and this this came up obviously like they put me.
Speaker 1: I feel like we ended the podcast, but we didn't. We just kept going. And now everyone's like, are they just talking now or is this part of the show.
Speaker 2: We resurrected it because we're going to talk about and we're going to wrap this up.
Speaker 1: But it's like we were putting out q's in the rack and you went, do you want one more game? I went, fuck up, let's just rack it once more.
Speaker 2: I kind of did this in a meeting yesterday and my partner she got like really upset with me.
Speaker 1: Maybe I should come.
Speaker 2: So when when Richard boyd ian o'dwya and I were the expert panel for technology and AI, Yeah, so I was off of the team building panel, but they put me on the expert panel for technology, the guy who like can't even operate his ring light. But the thing that was coming up is will will AI replace roles like trainers? And my response was yeah, definitely and definitely not, because I think that just being in a space of proximity with another human being who is highly skilled at listening and coaching and guiding and encapsulating the conversation, there's going to be a physiological, not just psychological response that creates openness and self discovery in that conversation. But then if you're on the other side of that where you're not into that because those are quote unquote soft skills and you think your distinct level of knowledge is what makes you a differentiator in the marketplace. Six months from now, chat GPT is going to have skill sets and capabilities at a blindingly fast speed that you could study for the next one hundred years. You're probably not going to have. We could say that's fair that that might happen. So people who are dispassionate and not compassionate towards their clients aren't a lot of trouble. People who lead with that will probably become more discernibly valuable than they ever have been. But my issue is as we become divided as a society and have an increasingly lower level of tolerance for anyone who thinks differently, who is different than us, and there's all this hostility and people feel invalidated and demeaned. You're interacting with chat GPT now, who is completely affirming, highly curious, highly supportive, and now you're interacting whatever this this entity is evolving into that understands you better than you feel anybody else understands you.
Speaker 3: That'sesting well yeah, and also you think about that is true, right, and think about what's the experience you know, Cindy or Brian, what's the experience that you have?
Speaker 1: How do you feel when you're interacting with chat GPT? How do you feel? How do you know what's happening with your emotions in your mind? And is good or bad experience? Now contrast that to when you're talking to your boss and then all of a sudden you go, oh, well, no wonder she hangs out with chat GPT, No wonder there's I mean, despite the fact that we know this is not a human, there are still human responses from us. There's still you know, It's like people can emotionally connect with something that isn't you know, sentient, that isn't conscious, that isn't human, you know, like and you if it makes you feel It's like, why do people take certain things, put certain things in their body because it makes them feel a certain way. It creates a certain physiological biochemical response. So too, when some people are having these interactions, they feel better they feel seen valued whatever. Oh yeah, there are definitely going to be There's definitely going to be good and bad to come out of it. There's going to be people completely if not already completely addicted to.
Speaker 2: AI terminy to completely lie to us. It's not Skynet that blows us up. They're going to take us over through like compassionate conversation, which, to be honest, would have made a really shit film in the early nineteen eighties.
Speaker 1: So but today it's a doco. Hey, where can people find you? My friend find you, follow you, connect with.
Speaker 2: You, Robert Capuccio dot com, the self ub antidote dot com and I'm on LinkedIn.
Speaker 1: Yes you are, Yes you are well. I hope Amy and chat GPT makeup, and I hope your flourishing relationship with LLMS continues to go the way that it currently is. And we will see you in two weeks. I'll wad to it.
Speaker 2: Oh next week, Wow, see you.
Speaker 1: But that's like half the time.
Speaker 2: By Craiger