Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Something to Talk About the Stellar podcast. I'm Sarah Lamarquin, your host, and every week I sit down with some of the biggest names in the country because when Australia's celebrities are ready to talk, they come to Something to talk about. When Steph Klaire Smith recently went public with her ADHD diagnosis on Instagram, she was nervous.
Speaker 2: I think even just like talking through.
Speaker 3: All of the different ways that like different things have impacted my life and how it's like also impacted people around me.
Speaker 1: What she wasn't expecting, however, was a huge amount of people having very strong opinions on it.
Speaker 3: You know, weekly you get some people following you and unfollowing you, and there's always a bit of a plateau for me anyway, but there was a massive spike in unfollows.
Speaker 1: It's all been part of a very big year for Steph Claire Smith as her fame has continued to rise, so too has her business, named in the Forbes thirty Under thirty List and the AFI Young Rich List. The co founder of health and wellness business Kick is now also expecting her second child. On today's episode, Is Something to Talk About, Steph opens up about how her and her husband's approach to juggling business and babies has sparked not only conversations among their peer group, but online, and reflects on why her ADHD diagnosis has come with relief and not fear. Steph Claire Smith, Welcome to the Stellar podcast.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me. I'm excited to chat.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you for squeezing us in because you have had quite the big year. You have been listed in the Forbes Australia thirty Under thirty list, name in the AFI's Young Rich List. In personal news, you've gone public with your ADHD diagnosis, and else recently announced that you and your husband are expecting a second child. I mean, I'm tired just talking about that. Quite the year stuff. You've got anything else planned to squeeze in the finals five weeks of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I think that'll I'm just about doing me for the year. But no, it's been a very very exciting year, both I suppose for Kick and for myself personally. But yeah, some of those awards, like the being in the thirty ound of thirty and the Rich list and everything, it still ceases to amaze me. When things like that happen, I think back to kind of where I thought my life was going when I was a teenager, and I would have never imagined being in those kind of magazines or anything so or lists amongst those kind of people. So it's still very surreal for me, but it's also such an awesome, awesome opportunity to acknowledge how far Kicks come and you know, get the acknowledgment and celebration that it deserves as a business, which I'm incredibly proud of, And I think the only thing I would have loved with both of those achievements is to have been there with my co founder and my best mate Laura and get kind of the recognition for the both of us, because we constantly say to each other like Kick wouldn't be where it is without either of us, and I wouldn't be where I am without her, even in my personal life. So it's been quite a special couple of months, particularly a lot of those things have happened not just this year, but in the last couple of months, so it's been a bit of a whirlwind.
Speaker 1: It has very much been a bit of a whirlwind publicly and clearly in your family as well on the Baby News. So this is you and your husband Joshua expecting, as I said, your second child, your son, Harvey, was born three years ago. What I love Step was when you were talking about this on your podcast with your co host Laura on kick Pod. You were talking about how you get asked as soon as you've had one kid, like when you're going to have another one. You said, you just want to remind everyone it's such a delicate question. You've got to be careful, you said, because it's not everyone's choice. It is such a reminder. I think that we're still very presumptuous with the questions. It's never enough, is it whatever you're doing, It's always like, when's this going to happen? What else do you have to share with us?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And I think when it comes to the question of when you're going to have another one, people often also follow it up with you know, it would be so good for them to have a sibling, and they say all this stuff that if you are trying, or you are hoping, or maybe you've had the bad news that you if it was something that you wanted, that it's not going to happen for you. It's like, I've already thought about the fact that, you know, my little one might not have a sibling, and that's already something that I'm dealing with, and now you're kind of saying it, proving it my point even more and making me feel worse about it. So I think it's just I mean, it even comes down to like asking people if they're going to have kids at all. Like, at the end of the day, everyone's really different with how they want to live their life and the direction that they're going in, and their phases and stuff can and the desires can change as well, and that's totally allowed. But I think it's still that presumption that if you're going to have one, then you've got to give him a sibling.
Speaker 2: That pressure is a lot to deal with.
Speaker 3: And I think for us, I mean, we decided that once Harvey was born. I mean, it did make an impact to how I was at work and how I felt at work, and also knowing the plans that we had with the business, I wasn't in a position where I could, nor did I want to just pop them out and go again straight away. A lot of my friends were really keen to kind of do the two under two and kind of get through that phase of life of really young kids really quickly and keep them really close in age. But for me, it was just I didn't have that desire, and even if I had the desire, it would have been really really hard with what we were trying to do with the business. So pretty soon after he was born, I went straight onto protection so that.
Speaker 2: It didn't happen.
Speaker 3: And then when the couple of years on, like I had that desire, I definitely had always kind of seen myself having more than one kid. I grew up really really close with my brother, and I know it doesn't always end up how you experienced it, but because I have such a positive reflection on having a sibling and having that family dynamic, it was something that I desired, and it was something that my partner desired. But with what we were doing with the business, it just it was really hard to find that right and appropriate time that felt good personally in our personal lives but also made sense for the business. Because there was a time when Kick was my baby. I mean, like I refer to it differently now because I have a human baby and another on the way, But at the end of the day, It's been a huge passion of mine still is to this day, and that was my baby for such a long time that it does get priority sometimes over some personal desires. And that is also because I'm not alone in it. I've got a team that I'm responsible for, and I've got a business partner to be responsible with as well to make sure that the business kind of keeps ticking along and growing. So, yeah, it was kind of through this period where we knew it was something that we wanted, but we didn't really know what it was going to feel right, And it took a lot of really open conversations, you know, even between Laura and I of when that might feel right. And some of my friends who don't own businesses or aren't in that space, they were really like a bit confused with some of those conversations, Like they were like, it's weird that it has to be so planned and so structured, Like surely, whatever happens, it'll be and you guys will just sort it out. And I'm like, yeah, I can understand why you think that way, but I think when you're just in that mindset and in that growth stage as well with the business, you're just so aware that things like this do really affect the business, so you have.
Speaker 2: To be a little bit strategic with it.
Speaker 3: It can't just flow maybe as spontaneously as others might be able to do so. And that's okay because there's flexibility in other areas from being a co founder.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's how we got to now.
Speaker 1: It's such an interesting insight, and I've heard a couple of other quite successful female founders talk about this concept as well, and it can make people feel, oh, we don't need to worry about that, like, just make the decision that's right for you and your family. But this is the decision that is right for you and your family, if I'm hearing correctly, Steph, is that factoring in what it means for your business, Your second soon to be third baby in kick is one of your values. And I think that's okay because the same way that we encourage our friends, clearly, like your friends and loved ones have said, don't worry too much about that. I think the flip side is also true is if people go, well, I want to be prioritizing another part of my life right now, or I actually have a really legitimate business reason that the time isn't right. I think we've also got to give one another the grace that that is also the path to everyone making their own decision.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely, And I'll be really transparent here. I've always been the person that is very much like, whatever happens, happens, we'll sort it out, We'll work through it. I don't know why I'm that way, Inklind, but I've never been scared to fail or anything like that, because I just I've had too many examples in my life where I've learned so much from it and been able to work through it. Or hard times aren't that really that hard compared to some other things, And so I've always kind of been a glass half full person. But I think what happened with the first pregnancy is I might have been a little naived as to how that might affect the business or even my relationship with my co founder. And there was so many times that we didn't have some of those important honest conversations through that process, and I was almost the guinea pig for us both. Like Laura still hasn't had a child, She's now put out there that it's a desire of hers somewhere in the future. But when I first had Harvey, that wasn't something that she could necessarily relate to, and I was also experiencing it for the first time. So I think I am just a lot more aware now second time around of the different ways that I can.
Speaker 2: Still support the business or support.
Speaker 3: Laura, or be really honest and clear with her about my needs, but also really aware of how it's.
Speaker 2: Affecting her or the business.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I think all of that is really important learnings as well, And maybe I was.
Speaker 2: A little to go with the flow first.
Speaker 3: Time around that now I'm like, Okay, I know what's going to happen, I know how it might affect it, So how can we kind of be a little bit strategic here and make sure that the impact is not going to be too too big. Because my personal decisions and my personal life is important, and my desires, you know, are really important. I don't want to ever ignore them because when I have in the past, and when I have recently, it's made me not a very nice person towards myself and then also sometimes to others just because I feel a little resentful. So I definitely don't want to not lean into my desires. But it's also about being very aware of how it affects others for sure.
Speaker 1: Something else i'd love to ask you about, Steph is how you and Josh have navigated this together as a couple, and you and Josh decided that he would actually become primary caregiver for Harvey. And as you've said, the business has been so successful and it's clearly a model that has worked for you. I won't ask you, obviously to speak for Josh, but i'd love to share any reaction that you've had from people.
Speaker 3: Well, when we first kind of started speaking about it, because I went back, I started to kind of do you know, the content the podcast and tune into the meetings and stuff fairly early, as you do as a founder. I mean, everyone's really different with how they take leave, but I really still wanted to kind of know what was going on and also share what was happening in my life as well through content and podcasts. But it was probably around six months that I started to actually physically be back in the office just a couple of days a week. Then it was three days, and it was four days and eventually five. So it was kind of through that transition where I started to be open about the fact that Josh was at home and at the start, Harvey wasn't in daycare. We did cop a little bit of judgment, but they were just from the really opinionated trolls that you here online. It wasn't really from friends or family. I think Josh occasionally would hear from a lot of his friends hadn't they're not They weren't in that phase of life yet, so they couldn't even relate to their partner being pregnant or having a baby, let alone them being the state home dad in their situation. But they made a few, you know, jokes to him about like how if he had a hard day or whatever. He's like, mate, you will know what hard work is or whatever, because they just couldn't relate. But I think he's been really open with them about their experience. And I think what's really special about that is when they do have a partner or decide to have kid, and some of them have now, I think they've got a little bit more of an idea of if their partner is the one that stays home from work and does look after the baby, what's involved with that and how hard that can be. So that's been really cool as well, but it is totally different for him. I mean, I formed a little bit of a mother's group. I ended up not going going through the council one because there was a couple of women in my area who I was kind of already acquaintance with, and we went out for coffee, got along like a house on fire, and just was like, Okay, this is our group now. And I still speak to them almost every week in WhatsApp and try and catch up when we can.
Speaker 2: But and they're everything to me.
Speaker 3: But Josh doesn't necessarily have that group of dads he can continuously catch up with and stuff, so over the years it has been a little bit isolating for him, I would say. But when it comes to the judgment online, I think if I think of one particular example, I remember when Harvey did start daycare, which is when he was two, I didn't do drop off for like the first three or four months. And that wasn't just because I was nervous of how that was going to go. Because we were kind of in this really heavy stage with Harvey where if I was around, he just needed all of me and like no one else could come near us. It wasn't just because I knew it was probably going to be hard, but for work, the hours of pick up and drop off just didn't work for me.
Speaker 2: At that point.
Speaker 3: I was already in the current my way to work when he was kind of getting dropped off, and then I was not getting home nearly anywhere close to when pickup would be for him. And sure I could have picked him up later, but Josh would have just been at home anyway in the afternoon, so it was kind of like I might as well go get him. And I remember when I first posted about Josh's reaction, because he kind of went through what a lot of parents do when they are the first people to you know, drop off their kid, and it's really hard, and he was crying so much because this person who he'd been with every single day for two years suddenly was in someone else's care. I posted about it, and I thought it was really beautiful and everything, but I got a few dms from people being like, I can't believe, or even maybe it was a couple of months later, I can't believe you still haven't done a drop off or a pickup, especially that first one. I would have dropped everything for my kid to do that and I'm like, well, that's really nice. If that's what you would have done, cool, that's your prerogative. But I wasn't in a position where I could do it. The day that he started, we had a massive planning day with the team, and it was just something that I had no flexibility with and that is what it is. And then from there it was a decision between Josh and I that it was going to be easier through that phase when he was finding it difficult for it to be Josh because he found saying goodbye to Josh at that point a little easier than saying goodbye to me. So that does come up every now and again, and of course it feeds into the guilt a little bit, but I try and ignore it as much as I can, and I think the only time it really hits me is when maybe I'm feeling vulnerable because something else is going on, and I'm just yes, things like that might hit me a little bit harder, But at the end of the day, I kind of put myself in a position where if I heard my friend was getting spoken to like that, I'd have some pretty quick words to say to support them, and I just try and do that for myself definitely.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know you, Stef. We haven't really spoken before today, and even when you're telling that, I felt myself feel really protective and outraged on your behalf. So that's right, Steph. I'd love to also speak to you a little bit about bounce back culture, specifically with one of the programs that you work on at Kick, which of course has been Kick Bump, and for you particularly and for Laura as well, of course, with your shared background obviously having modeling and fitness, and then knowing that there's this really lovely middle ground that you're capturing between taking care of yourself and not having to sacrifice your fitness or time to yourself or your well being because you're a mother, if that's a part that a person chooses to go down. But then this pressure, which obviously you know, body image, body fascism is not a new concept. Certainly don't need to tell somebody that has worked as a model how bad it is. What are your thoughts on bounce back culture and how you, as a high profile woman of navigate that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I hate the bounce back culture, I think.
Speaker 3: So. We actually did a poll and about fifteen thousand women in our community answered it, and four and five of them felt that pressure to bounce back after they'd had a kid, which is horrible. And it's basically what annoys me so much about it. And as you kind of touched on, I have gone through my own journey of my body image and disordered eating, and what I learned through that was just that it is so not worth it, like where you end up with your mental health and your energy and everything like that, when you try and sacrifice so much or do absolutely anything in your power to look a certain way, you just rarely ever get to a point where you're actually happy. And so with kick Bump, the whole reason we launched it, I mean, for a couple of years, there were people in our community who were falling pregnant and were asking the question, you know, what content in the app is suitable for me during my pregnancy or getting back into exercise. So it was something that was on our radar, but Laura and I couldn't necessarily relate to those women because neither of us had been through it. And I felt pregnant and started to look more in detail into what was out there for pregnant women and then, of course the postpartum period. I got really angry because a lot of the pregnancy programs were very regimented and the wording around it just didn't seem very right. And I know from speaking to some of my friends that everyone's pregnancy is so wildly different, and so it just felt so weird that there was such a prescribed kind of program that was so obviously not going to work for so many people. A lot of them were really long workouts, some of them were even Yeah, it was just didn't seem right to me, and I think what I loved is just listening to my body. And I mean, I'm super fortunate to have access to, you know, the experts that we do with KICK that if I ever needed extra assistance, I could reach out to them. But it was through that that I learned, Okay, there needs to be a lot more education out there and support for these women. And then postpartum, I think what angered me the most was almost every program out there was about getting your body back, like using those words in that term. And I was really angered by this because like the media does enough to pressure you into feeling that way and to feeling that that is something that.
Speaker 2: You should focus on.
Speaker 3: You didn't need fitness programs to also add into that kind of insecurity. And I think, as someone who had had you know, body image issues before and everything, I was so fortunate that I was pregnant and postpartum in the phase of life that I was in, because I'd done so much work on ensuring that the way that I looked at my body was was not just for aesthetics and perfectionism and all that. Because if I had fallen pregnant when I was in that phase, like and my heart goes out to anyone who is you know there, that is so much harder.
Speaker 2: But I was so.
Speaker 3: Lucky that I was able to look at it as this incredible magical experience that I was so fascinated by how the women's body works and everything, and that was that was like the main thing that took up my brain, not what might my body look like afterwards, or the genes that I have might not fit me anymore, all of that sort of stuff. But then in the postpart and period, I think the other important thing that we're not taught because there's so much pressure to bounce back, is that return to exercise. If you are someone who wants to do. That is so so important to get right and to do slowly and carefully. There are so many women who, you know, they think after six weeks they might get the GP kind of clearance to go and start exercising again, but they're not really empowered with the information and how to do that, and they might try and.
Speaker 2: Do exercise like they used to before they are.
Speaker 3: Pregnant or maybe earlier on in their pregnancy, and without getting an internal check with a women's health physio, which you don't have to do that not everyone has access to that, but without that you can't be one hundred percent sure that your body is prepared for normal kind of exercises. And so our postpart and period is really all about building back up your pelvic floor and your deep core muscles and not a lot else, because that's kind of the foundation that every women, no matter if you've had a C section or a vaginal birth, that you need to work on before you start doing any other kind of exercise. And then from there, we've got another program which has been more of a recent edition called Bridge, which is supposed to bridge people between that really early postpart and period to okay, I'm going to do some squats now and some push ups and add a little bit of resistance and everything kind of get me back in to beginner level exercise. And yeah, just supporting women through that time is so important to us. And I think being pregnant again second time around, it's brought back even more.
Speaker 2: Passion I think to do even more.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I just hope that the more that we can do, the more we can empower women to make that time for themselves and to do it for the right reasons. To know that every time they move their body or roll out their mat, it's not just because they want to get their body back or anything like that. It's because it's going to help them be the strong mama that they can be.
Speaker 2: For their bar it's to give their baby.
Speaker 3: You know, the right idea that making time for yourself and moving your body is really important habits to have.
Speaker 2: That's all all the main stuff.
Speaker 3: And just connecting with others that are in the same position and making sure no one feels alone. They're all the really important things to me. Rather than bounce back and up next.
Speaker 1: Stefan confronting one of her greatest fears and going public with her ADHD diagnosis. So I'd love to talk to you also about what your ADHD diagnosis, what part that's played in your journey of figuring out who you are. And I say this as somebody who has navigated an ADHD diagnosis myself in the past few years. When you spoke about it on Instagram early this year, you said how you'd sat for too long in this daily feeling of guilt and shame for not being this person that I wanted to be, or this person that I know would be more likable to others. Maybe I've had this internal dialogue for too long now that's led me to believe I'm dumb, lazy, unreliable, disrespectful of others. Time getting this diagnosis has lifted some of that really powerful words there. How are you feeling as you and I are speaking in late November.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I feel like I'm still in this almost like limbo mode at the moment of like sitting and absorbing all the information. I've started to implement a few things that I've learned, you know, through chatting to people and friends and stuff that I know have been diagnosed of little things that can help them with things like tusks around the house or lateness, etc. But especially because I'm pregnant right now. You know, I'm not going to go on medication. Whether or not I choose to do that in the future, I don't know. But yeah, I'm kind of at this point now where I'm just going to lean more into what can I do to help manage now that I know what's going on, instead of just kind of continuously doing the same thing, being frustrated with myself, really agree at myself and feel like I'm disappointing others. I'm now aware of what it is. I don't want to just use it as an excuse, like by no means, So what are the different things that I can do to help myself? And then also the people around me? And I'm so so fortunate that all of my close friends and family who I opened up to before I opened up.
Speaker 2: To the world about it, they were all so supportive.
Speaker 3: I mean, a lot of them didn't know what to say or do, and they were very honest about that.
Speaker 2: A lot of them, just like I did.
Speaker 3: A couple of years ago, had this idea of ADHD that didn't necessarily suit who they thought I was, and so they were really good in the way that they are straight away?
Speaker 2: What resources have.
Speaker 3: You found that I can listen to so that I can understand it better? And also if there's anything that you know that I can do to support you, please let me know. And that's like all you can ask for. You don't like, people don't have to have all the answers to be supportive. And I think that's what I've been so fortunate with because I do know. I mean, before I was diagnosed, there's been conversations where I've either admitted myself like I've said, oh, you know, I've been thinking like maybe I'll look into getting an ADHD diagnosis, or I'm in a situation where I'm in a room and I can hear someone else saying that, and instantly people are like, oh, but doesn't everyone have.
Speaker 2: ADHD these days?
Speaker 3: Or oh but I forget things, you know, and sometimes I'm late and all this stuff. And it's been those conversations that have kind of put me off looking into it more because I'm like, oh, I just don't know. Maybe they're right, and maybe this is just stuff that I really need to sort out. But a friend of mine, a close friend of mine, was diagnosed recently earlier this year, and she was very much like I had to sit down with a psychologist and they were like, what do you think that you're just for? You know, you just happen to have all of these symptoms ongoing every day, all aligned, and they're all ticking the boxes, but you're still not quite ADHD, Like, of course, let's look into it, like it's not just a coincidence that all of these things happened to you frequently. And I think hearing that gave me a little bit of a confidence boost and so yeah, over the last year I kind of considered it more, lent into the information more, but it wasn't really until about six months ago that I made the decision Okay, I feel like I'm ready to get the assessment. And my biggest fear with it was that they were going to turn around and be like, you don't have ANYHD because honestly, or nothing else. You know, there's nothing else that I could diagnose you with, because I think then I would have been like, okay, great, So everything that I've told myself over the years is true.
Speaker 2: This is all stuff that I really could have easily.
Speaker 3: Changed, and I just have, for some reason, chosen not to and that would kill me. So I think in a way it was I was relieved, but I think and people warned me about this, But there has been moments where I've almost kind of grieved moments and I've looked back at moments where I was really really hard on myself or when maybe some of my close relationships have struggled, and they've all been things that if I was aware of my ADHD diagnosis, I could have managed a lot better, and I also could have spoken to myself a lot kinder. So there's been reflection moments that have made me quite sad and upset, but all in all, like above all, I'm feeling really positive about it, and I just the only reason were not the only reason. One of the biggest reasons I opened up about it was because number one, I've always been very open on my social media over the last thirteen years, I've been very much an open book. And every time I've done that and touched on something vulnerable, like even when I did open up about my bingeating and everything, I was mainly met with either support and information or empowerment or people sliding into my dams being like thank you so much for speaking about this because I feel a little bit less alone now and something comforting and knowing that someone like you, who I aspire to in one way or another, also has these feelings or goes through these things. And I thought the same when I got the ADHD diagnosis. Is that I've met some pretty incredible people over the last couple of years, particularly we've had a later diagnosis. I haven't looked at them any differently when they've you know, come out with the diagnosis, and I just really hoped for the same thing for me, and I've been really fortunate for the most part that it has been met with a lot of a lot of support, which because of the community that's been cultivated, it's unsurprising, the most beautiful community ever, but it's still it's still overwhelmingly amazing and positive.
Speaker 2: So I'm feeling pretty good.
Speaker 1: I'm glad to hear that, because I did want to ask hearing you think about what the reaction would be, how that community that you have built had responded, because, as you said, Steph, when you go in public with something like that, there's still so many assumptions and ignorant things that people do, like you yourself, A couple of years ago, I think, well, that's that's not right. I know what ADHD looks like, and you're not it. But also that conversation, which is something that you know, I've discussed on the podcast here with some very high profile people who've been diagnosed, that there is still this idea that it's a fad. And obviously there's very profound clinical reasons why we're now seeing it being diagnosed, particularly in women and girls, because it was chronically underdiagnosed for a long time. But from a social media macromedia perspective, it's much easier to go, oh, well, everyone's just getting it these days, you know, it's like the new fad. So have you had to deal with a little bit of that commentary since you went public with your diagnosis.
Speaker 2: Oh? Absolutely.
Speaker 3: I mean I have like one point five million followers, so I had no doubt that there was going to be a handful of them that we're going to have something to say about it. But also, you know, content like that on social media platforms like that they reach people who don't follow you or support you or know you at all, and it is definitely a horrible kind of her sentiment online at the moment.
Speaker 2: With ADHD over the last couple of years.
Speaker 3: I think because a lot of people, because women were underdiagnosed, a lot of people coming out with the diagnosis that people think it is this trend and that people are just getting sick of hearing about it or whatever, and so I was very aware of that, and I think it was one of the things that made me really nervous about sharing it. But again that's not what they're not who I share my content for. They have never been, you know, I'm if I lose, which I did. Actually, I don't ever look at my following number. I am not an analytical person like probably because of my ADHD, but just numberus is not my friend, and so I hate looking at data or anything like that. Whenever I'm asked to look at my insights or be aware of anything, I'm like, okay, I will, but I can't tell you the last time I did this. But recently I had two for a client look into my insights and I noticed, you know, weekly you get some people following you and unfollowing you, and always a bit of a plateau for me anyway, but there was a massive spike in unfollows and I looked at the date and it was the day that I posted about my ADHD diagnosis, and it made me a bit angry because one number one, I was like, I don't want to care about this, But two, I was like, how horrible is that that you know someone's vulnerable enough to open up about something that they've gone through and just decide that that's not for you and to leave. But then very quickly I was like, well, they're not my people. They're not the people that I want to be speaking to anyway. They're not the kind of people I want in my community if they don't accept vulnerable stuff or honesty. So I was okay with it, but it just it was one of those moments that I was really just kind of disappointed in.
Speaker 2: Society almost because of it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, disappointing is a good word for it, because it doesn't sound that you would have second thoughts about something in future because you're not driven by the data and then analytics. But it is still disappointing to know that that vulnerability, but also just being honest about something that is an actual medical condition. We don't want to go live in a society surely where people have to now start thinking twice about I'm going to get blowback on my follow account is going to start declining if I, you know, go go in areas where people might not necessarily want to follow me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: And I think also for me, you know, it was really important to be open about it because I think some of the things that I've told myself over the years, I'm sure I know, I know, are very very common thoughts with people with ADHD, and I'm sure have stopped a lot of people from striving for some of their dreams or maybe ever thinking that they could, you know, run a business or do anything like that. And I think for me it was important to talk through. It's not been easy, and I certainly would not have been able to do it alone. But there is ways in which that it actually is super bet official as a founder in business, and I want to continue to explore that and talk about it. But I think, yeah, for me, it would have just felt like a big fat elephant in the room if I didn't talk about it.
Speaker 1: I'm really glad that you did, and thanks for opening up about it here too. I was very nodding in agreement when you said that could be the ADHD side of your personality where data analytics not your thing because same here. But part of my job is I do have to manage a P and L and of course so do you as the co founder of a very successful business. So before we wrap up our conversation today, Steff, I did want to talk to you a little bit about the business, but also going back to one of the first things we talked about at the start was when you were talking about your co founder Laura and the moments that you share together and having been on this incredible ride together. Love to talk to you a little bit about working with your best friend, your co founder, and then as you've touched upon your lives obviously being very different, because that's not an unusual circumstance in business. A lot of co founders have got very different circumstances. But as you say, if one of you gets an award, there's that feeling. Tell us a little bit about how the two of you have grown together and the highs and the lows. If you like a couple that might stand out for you in this path together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 3: I mean Laura and I have that kind of friendship that when people meet us, they think that we've known each other our whole lives, and they're surprised to kind of find out that we actually only met each.
Speaker 2: Other a year before we started our ebook together.
Speaker 3: And even in that year, we barely saw each other because we're both traveling a lot for work. But it was just one of those friendships that you just kind of click with the person. And we're actually quite different as people, especially back then in our early twenties, but we had very very similar values and had gone through very very similar struggles dieting and exercise in our bodies and everything. So we had that shared kind of desire to do something about and to use our platforms for good in that way. And so I think when we came together and started working on Kick, neither of us had any idea where it was going to grow to. Obviously we had different ambitions, but I think the biggest thing that we did was just take opportunities, you know, by the reins, and say yes a lot and embrace failure along the way, or you know, look back at some decisions and think, oh, you know, our guts were probably pretty on at that time, saying we shouldn't do this, but we did it anyway. And now we've learned that our gut feeling is something to lean into. But that's okay, that's what running a business looks like. And we've now been doing that for almost ten years together. And so I think also as an individual, you go through so much growth in your twenties, from early twenties to your thirties, like so much change and stuff happens in your personal life as well. It's been really cool to both be there together through a lot of that. Spend a lot more time with your I mean team in general, but especially your founder, your co founder. Then you do a lot of your loved ones, and so it's really important that that is quite a healthy relationship. And over the years it's only gotten stronger. And the only way that that happened was because we had to have some like really honest and open conversations. And I think, as you said, with the different phases of life that were in necessarily now that mainly shifted when Harvey was born or when I became pregnant with Harvey. Up until that point, we were pretty on par with where we were out in life and what excited us and everything like that. So reflecting back and also knowing now it can be quite jarring, and I do. Actually there's been moments where I've felt and she knows this, but there's been moments where I've felt fearful of, you know, our friendship weakening because we're in different phases and like she just doesn't get me, or like I maybe just don't get her anymore or whatever. But again, it's been through addressing that and talking about it and just being really honest that that's really the only way you can kind of push past those things without them kind of boiling in the background and becoming way worse than they need to be. And we've only learned that through having those conversations. So we're trying to have them more and more these days. But I think just the love and respect that we have for each other is what's got us through some of those tougher transitions or hard times in business. And I wouldn't have been able to do it without her. And I'm not just saying that, you know, because of being very like I have a clear understanding of things that I struggle with and challenges that I have, especially since the diagnosis, and it's made a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: But I personally just love working in teams. I love collaborating.
Speaker 3: I don't like solo stuff unless I'm playing the sims or knitting and so so you know, having her on this journey is being what's got me through, and I know for her it's the same. So yeah, we just continue to work as a team and to be really honest with each other about what we both desire.
Speaker 2: And kick and even outside of it.
Speaker 3: And it's been awesome and so excited for what's to come as well, because we're yeah, certainly nowhere near done yet.
Speaker 1: Well, my final question, then i'm part of the multimedia empire that you have built together, is that of course you co host a podcast together, and I'd love to ask you, as you know, one podcast host to another, do you and Laura read the reviews And I'd love to get your thoughts step on any specific gender feedback because it's a bit of a sort of an algorithm question. So I think for me, you know, being older and working in mainstream media for much of my career, there's often been a quite an overt conversation about quote unquote women's media and people blatantly talking, oh, we don't want women on radio, and people feel like they're getting nagged by their wives and just this really like quite regressive narrative. And love to ask your thoughts as a young woman. And we've seen, between you and Laura and some other really high profile successful women in their twenties and thirties, this sort of new face of multimedia, I think, and I'd love to know whether you are still encountering that sort of sexist trope or do you think that it's hopefully getting a little bit wound back. Do people come after you for the way that you talk or talking about frivolous things. I mean, we've obviously touched upon a little bit about this in terms of parenting, but yeah, for you as women working in the media, I would really like to hear whether you think things are getting better or not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I like to think that they're getting better for sure. I don't personally read our reviews.
Speaker 2: I never have.
Speaker 3: I would not like to do that to myself. I know Laura in the past has she's quite you know, a type personality perfectionism, Like she's very much like once as much back as she can on everything that she does in life so that she can better herself in it. And I think she's now got a healthier relationship with it than how she necessarily used to take some of the feedback, like she's able to read a comment now, you know, from some random that might say something like she laughs too much in the podcast, and she's able to be like, Okay, well that's ridiculous and just don't listen to the podcast.
Speaker 2: What do you not like?
Speaker 3: Joy?
Speaker 2: So that's good, and I'm so glad she's there.
Speaker 3: But yeah, for me, I just avoid it because I know that if I don't know, if I read something that hits a nerve of an insecurity of mind, that I won't stop thinking.
Speaker 2: About it, So I avoid it.
Speaker 3: But obviously when you can't avoid it is if we've put a social snippet up of the podcast, you know, people who don't even listen to the podcast will chime in with what you're saying or talking about.
Speaker 2: And even more recently, like.
Speaker 3: Over the last couple of years, we've spoken about sex more on the podcast than we have necessarily in the past.
Speaker 2: That's been for a couple of reasons.
Speaker 3: Number One, we're both you know, pretty happily married and very healthy sexual relationships, and it doesn't feel like something that we can't We've also got feedback that our podcast. You know, our listeners feel like they're at a cafe sitting down with their girlfriends, and that's the kind of conversation they want to listen into. So we think about the stuff that we talk about with each other and we just bring it to the microphone, and that's sex a lot of the time, and for us, stuff that we love to also listen and hear about. And it's the taboo topics that we don't understand why aren't spoken about more. But just recently I did I shared a funny story on the podcast and we posted a snippet and there was so much judgment on that, and unfortunately it wasn't just sexist, you know, it wasn't just men saying it, which there was definitely men saying that it shouldn't be spoken about and that stuff should be private between marital spouses and stuff like that, but there was women in the comments as well, basically bringing us down and talking about how horrible it is and what would Harvey think when he grows up seeing this content and everything, and that kind of just annoys me.
Speaker 2: But again, they're our best performing podcast.
Speaker 3: Our listeners love hearing about the more taboo topics and we hear feedback, like I get DMS after opening up about stuff like that and they're like.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, the same thing happened to me.
Speaker 3: I haven't even been to tell my friends about it, but I'm so glad you said it because now I'm not alone and laughing about things like that and just making things lighter, like we love to be able to do that. So yeah, I try not to feed too much into the feedback that we receive. And it's not that I don't like constructive feedback because we're really lucky in the team that we've got, you know, with Listener, they're our producer and everyone in the team at Listener, like they do give us feedback and they've you know, helped us grow so much as podcasters over the last couple of years. It's those people and the regular listeners that we survey and ask directly for feedback that I'm always open to hearing, like how we can improve it or what topics they're interested in, what they're not, et cetera. But for the outskirts, I just feel like, just scroll on by or do not listen, Like I'm not forcing you to listen into this, And yeah, try not to think about it too much.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I think it's just the difference between constructive feedback wherever it comes from, and negativity for the sake of negativity. And something that we talked about on the podcast quite recently with another guest who was quoting Brene Brown, you know, about being in the arena and this It is such a great quote and we were sharing it among our team because I think it's just such a resonant point anytime that you take a risk or make yourself vulnerable, whoever it is, whoever any of us are, whether it's just opening up about something, talking about a diagnosis or something that's going on in our family, or talking openly about sexuality, these are things that people do welcome, and sometimes it can make people uncomfortable, and as you say, that's okay, but don't I think work through that feeling of discomfort by coming after people or trying to silence them.
Speaker 2: Agreed. Agreed. Steph.
Speaker 1: Congratulations on that you have achieved and for your absolutely mammoth year. Wish you all the best with your second baby. It's been a real pleasure to talk to you today and you can find out a lot more about Steph Claire Smith and Kick via the link in our show notes. Steph, thank you again for your time and joining me on Something to Talk About today.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me. I really enjoyed it and.
Speaker 1: You can find out more about Steph, Claire Smith and Kick via the link in our show notes. Thank you for your company today. If you've enjoyed this episode, make sure you're following us because we'll be back with another exclusive guest on Stella's Something to Talk About next week