Speaker 1: From The Australian. This is the weekend edition of The Front. I'm Claire Harvey. Of all the performing arts, musical theater has to be the most polarizing, So it makes sense that the hero of the genre, Andrew Lloyd Webber, is loved and loathed in equal measure. Our own Richard Ferguson is a musical feeder fan and an Andrew Lloyd Webber fan.
Speaker 2: No, don't see that. I hear andre Lloyd Webber. If I do enjoy some of the musicals, I'll explain that.
Speaker 1: Okay, But Richard does think that Andrew Lloyd Weber is having a moment right now, just not here in Australia. Is that okay to say, yeah.
Speaker 2: But I do not approve of Andrew Lloyd Webber. Just meet that very.
Speaker 1: Clear, Richard Ferguson, tell me about the moment Andrew Lloyd Webber is having right now.
Speaker 2: Andrew Lloyd Weber, for the first time in about fifty years, has become chic, which is unbelievable to anybody that has followed musical feared her. So when Andrew Lloyd Webber first came onto the musical fearder scene, he was a young English composer, working with the songwriter Tim Rice. Probably their first big hit was Jesus Christ Superstar, which was so controversial at the time because it was pretty irreligious. It did not state that Jesus Christ was the Lord and Savior. It had Judas as the hero, and it also had some of the best songs I think in musical fear to history, including probably the best romantic ballad, I Don't Know How to Love Him, which is the song by Mary Magdalene, and Mary Magdalene goes on to Snogham at one point that being Jesus, so you know he was edgy. And then they had a Vita which was a pretty interesting kind of edgy musical. Then he started Phantom of the Opera, and then it really made a turn when it came to Cats, which was the musical version of ts. Eliott's collection of Poems and at Children, which makes no sense whatsoever to anybody who has ever watched the darn thing. So when he first came up with the idea of doing ts. Eliot's Possum Cats as a musical, he went to the great Broadway director Harold Prince, who did many of the great Broadway hits with Steven Soheim and Harold Prince told the story of saying to Andrew Lloyd Weber, I don't really get what this about. Is it an I allegory for Victorian politics? Is you know one of them? Queen Victoria is one of them, Lord Melbourne. And Andrew Lloyd Weber said, Harold, it's about cats. And that's when he turned it down and said to ever none did it instead, and has ever since made millions and millions of dollars off the fact that Trevor Nunn wrote the lyrics to the song memory Your Fast to them. But very quickly Andrew Lloyd Weber became a goal word for ghosh. He was famously Margaret Thatcher's idea of high culture. She loved Andrew Lloyd Webber because she said, you know, Andrew Lloyd Webber makes money. You know, this has been exported to the United States and makes money. So Margaret Thatcher loved Andrew Lloyd Webber, which, as you can imagine, did him great favors in the British cultural scene of the nineteen eighties at the time. Well.
Speaker 1: He was also later at a life pee who said in the House of Lords and generally voted with the conservatives, wasn't he exactly?
Speaker 2: But you have to admit some of the musicals are fantastic.
Speaker 1: Don't cry funny Gentine.
Speaker 2: Some of the songs in particular are brilliant. I mean, don't Cry for Me. Argentina is actually an extraordinary political satifire. I mean, don't Cry for Me Argentina is basically full of all these Pirhnian kind of platitudes that mean absolutely nothing, and that is the point. He is responsible for some of the most successful musical fear hits that have their own lives as songs, as top cultural moments outside of the musicals, which is very hard to do, you know. Stephen Sondheim famously said, I'm going to play you a collection of my greatest hits played sending the clowns, and then he said, well that's it. All the other songs don't work outside the context of musicals. While as Andrew Willoyd Webber turned his songs into major chart topping hits, but then he just develops this reputation for being cheap, for being lowest common denominator. But things really get bad when they make the film of Cats. So this came out about five years ago. Tom Hooper who directed the King's Speech, won an Oscar for that. He made a very successful version of Le mis Rabelais, which also won a couple of Oscars. But then he did Cats. Tonight is a magical night film. It is, without a doubt, probably the worst big budget film ever made out of Hollywood.
Speaker 1: Going to the Ball could get dangerous.
Speaker 2: It is atrocious, It is weird. They didn't even finish the CGI in time for the premiere. They had to release another version two weeks afterwards. Didn't matter because anyone who saw the fair told everybody else, don't bother going. It's extraordinary that you can have a film with Judy Dent and Taylor Swift in it, and yet it's still absolutely appalling. It doesn't make any sense. The cats look so strange. They're weird and kind of creepy with each other, like sexually creepy with each other. Just the whole thing is a complete disat and it was a real box of Was this the end of alw Then Jamie Lloyd happened. We know that we can reinvent Shakespeare, we know we can reinvent Chickle. Why don't we reinvent angeloid Webber? Let's give it a go. So Jamie Lloyd is a terrible thing I think for a lot of us more traditional fear of lovers, because he has shown that you could do post modern deconstructing everybody just wearing black or no clothes at all, running around with pants in your head kind of theater and actually make it good. But what he did was he did Sunset Boulevard, not a great musical, but he got in the Coach Schwerzinger, who is most famous as the lead singer if the pussy Cat dolls, you know, don't yell, don't you wish fund like me, don't you Button? You know songs that I'm not sure many of our were just from the big fans of But she was extraordinary as Norma Desmond. It is one of the best performances I have ever seen. She won the Olivia on the West End for it, and then she won the Tony the Best Actress in the musical. Nicole Scherzinger is here to perform with one look from the critically acclaimed Broadway musical sun Set Boulevard, Take it Away. So this brings everybody back saying they can make Sunset Boulevard cool? Can they make anything seem cool. So then we come to Avita. So Avita on the West End stars Rachel Zegler as Eva Peron, the first Lady of Argentina. She has just come out of doing Snow White, which may be the only film to ever rival Cats for being the worst big budget film ever produced by Hollywood. Absolute disaster. But what Jamie Lloyd also does, as well as screens and people running out round looking like their backstage at the Rockus Deedford, is he does parts of the performance outside. So every time she sings Don't Cry for Me Argentina, Rachel Zegler goes onto the balcony of the theater out on the London Street and she sings it to the crowd outside. She doesn't sing it to the audience wow, which is quite controversial because people say, we're paying, you know, up to two hundred pounds for these seats and she's going to sing main the main song outside. But it has been a triumph. This has led to some other really interesting things with alw They seem to have found the way to do Cats, which is, don't do it with stupid leatards and people with silly makeup, do it as a ballroom competition. So just like the ballroom culture of the nineteen eighties in the early nineties in New York where a lot of these street kids, gay kids, trans kids will go to these ballrooms and do basically disco competitions. That's putting it very simply. There's a great film about it called Paris Is Burning, which is a great documentary. But this is where voguing came from, which of course was popularized by Madonna and song vogue. So they're doing Madonna style dancing as a competition, because the whole point of Cats is that the cats are competing to go to Heaven. Then you've had the Jesus Christ Superstar Concert at the Hollywood Bowl where Cynthia Reevo, who is obviously the Wicked witch and Wicked playing Jesus Christ, Adam Blambert, the winner of American Idol playing Judas. That has never been an absolute huge hit in America.
Speaker 1: Coming up, how Australia is responding to the alw face lift happening overseas.
Speaker 2: So in Australia they're celebrating the fortieth anniversary of Cats, not by doing the cool ballroom thing, not by trying to make it interesting. They're doing leotards and funny makeup.
Speaker 3: Let the Memory Live Again. Cats, the musical loved all around the world, is celebrating its fortieth Australian anniversary and the original cast and creative team from that historic production are all still in fine voice.
Speaker 2: They're about to do Phantom of the Opera again, which will be beautiful, but it's the same production. Opera Australia have been in a big crisis recently. Lynnin Terrencini, who left Opera Australian twenty twenty two, had a big success bringing musicals into the fold. But the artistic director who succeeded Tera Sini, Joe Davis, she left in twenty twenty fours just nine months into our contract. The CEO for that, Allen, was out the door in January twenty twenty five. They haven't been replaced, but once again ALW comes into the picture. Recently they did a production of Sunset Boulevard. They brought out Sarah Brightman, who was in the original Phantom of the Opera, former romantic partner of ALW. She hadn't been on stage in many, many years, so people were very excited to see her. But she played Norma Desmond and was very disappointing according to a lot of ruts. Now there are some people who feel that this was unfair, but it was a disaster. It was a critical and box office disaster. It did a lot of damage to Opera Australia. But what was coming to popularity at the same time, Sarah Brightman was in this tired Opera Australia production of Sunset Boulevard. The pussy Cat Doll, who was about to become the new Douyena musical theater was just starting in the West End. So this is a problem that Australia is having. It is behind theatrical trends. It is unwilling to take risks. There are some examples. You know, Sydney. Theader companies obviously come out of a bit of a funk with the picture of Dorian Gray. It's about to do Dracula again with Cynthia Ravel playing Dracula on the West End. But after the hey days of Linden Terrenceiny at Opera Australia, Cate Blanchette and Andrew Upton at the STC, let's not even start on Melbourne. Theoder there's this andre Lloyd Webber revival of people being innovative, different, but still going to classic hits that everybody loves and making them cool, making them, making them big financial winners. And yet we can't seem to grasp this, despite the fact that it's happening in front of our eyes. We're still going for the leatards.
Speaker 1: Staging seems to be a part of the problem, doesn't it. I recently saw the arena spectacular version of Le miserab at the ICC in Sydney and I was hugely disappointed because there was no acting. It was a standard and deliver format where the actors stood at microphones are just sang into the audience, which meant that the.
Speaker 2: Plot was very difficult to follow.
Speaker 1: I wonder our theater producers a bit lazy when it comes to Australia because we do love musical theater and we'll kind of go and see anything. Does that mean they don't have to work as hard here?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think this is absolutely true. So Tim mentioned had a huge success with the musical version of Matelda. It is one of the great musicals in the past twenty years, and he was talked about it lasting for a long time on the West Stand as long as the Phantom of the operank At and he said, well, I'm not sure about that because I just went to see The Lion King, which has been on Broadway for nearly friddy years now, and he said, and it just looks so tired. It looks so tired.
Speaker 1: Richard Ferguson is the Australian's canber Bureau chief. You can read his work anytime at the Australian dot com dot au. This episode of the Front was hosted by me Claire Harvey and produced by Jasper Leak, who edited the episode and also wrote our theme. Thanks for joining us on the Front this week. Our team is Kristin Amiot Leat, Samaglue, Tiffany Dimac, Joshua Burton and Stephanie Coombs.