Speaker 1: Lately.
Speaker 2: General, welcome the late Blades.
Speaker 3: Well, good evening.
Speaker 4: I'm James Macpherson with Liz stra and Caleb Bond. How would you feel if you arrived home to find a completely different family in your swimming pool? Will bring you that strange story a little later. Plus, when we look at the papers, Queensland Premier Stephen Miles promising if Queensland has re elect him the government will open petrol stations right across the state, and Anthony Albanezi blaming the Greens for aggravating the domestic terror threat. We'll get to all of that soon, but let's start in America. Donald Trump doesn't call her crazy Nancy for no good reason. Former Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi told CBS Sunday Morning Show that Joe Biden had done such a great job as president over the past four years he should be memorialized alongside other greats like George Washington and Abraham Lincoln. This was an idea that greatly amused even the Democrat friend Le TV host have a look.
Speaker 5: Such a consequential president of the United States, a Mount Rushmore kind of president of the United States, wants to know what comes next that he belongs up there on Mount Rushmore.
Speaker 6: Lincoln and Joe Biden.
Speaker 5: Well, you got Teddy Roosevelt up there, and he's wonderful. I don't say take him down, but you can add Biden.
Speaker 4: And now, ladies and gentlemen, is why you should not drink vodka for breakfast.
Speaker 3: But it kind of makes sense, doesn't it.
Speaker 4: I mean, the Democrats pushed him off the cliff, and now they want to engrave him on the cliff.
Speaker 3: But what if they actually did it?
Speaker 4: How would you encapsulate all that it is to be Joe Biden? How would you memorialize him so that future generations he didn't know much about him, could just glance up at the rock face and immediately understand the kind of man that he was. Well, an artist has come up with this idea.
Speaker 3: Take a look.
Speaker 4: You can see there Joe Biden on the far left, his head turned so that he can get a good sniff of George Washington's heir, Liza Reckon.
Speaker 3: That would work.
Speaker 7: I like that, it's an accurate depiction. I really like that. That really is.
Speaker 8: Art depicting life, you know, and vice versa. But seriously, I would have loved the interviewer to then ask Pelosi, can you show us a list of accomplishments that you think I'm deserving of such an honor to be up there with two of our founding fathers, one guy Abraham Lincoln.
Speaker 7: Best known as a martyr.
Speaker 8: Abolish slavery, incredible man all round. And she is like, well, you know you've got Roosevelt, so why shouldn't everyone be up there? Basically, look, nobody knows how Teddy Roosevelt made it. Okay, we're all confused, but he did.
Speaker 7: And the rock face looks great as it is, please don't touch it.
Speaker 8: But if you were to pull out a list of accomplishments of this Biden presidency, you'd be like, well, there's the ten million plus illegal immigrants, that's something. There's the disastrous withdrawal from Afghanistan.
Speaker 7: That's something.
Speaker 8: There's record high inflation and interest rates much like here in Australia.
Speaker 7: They're suffering big time in America. And the list goes on.
Speaker 8: There is no American alive, even even the most devout Democrats who would seriously think we should start chiseling away at Mount Rushmore to immortalize the Biden presidency forever.
Speaker 2: It's just amazing isn't it like the dude has barely lasted his four year term. He's not allowed to run again because his brain is totally gone. And this is the guy that Nancy Pelosi reckons should be added to Mount Rushville. He's done nothing to deserve it. I mean, and she just completely looked over Bill Clinton, a great of her party. You know, Bill, but at least Bill's got his facts.
Speaker 7: I did have some relation.
Speaker 2: Well, he go well with the Joe Biden up there one doing the sniffing, and well, we don't know what's going on on the lower half of Bill Clinton on what about Ronald Reagan? I mean, there are so many other former presidents you would put up there, how pretinuous the link may be. Before you put Joe Biden up the hive and say Donald Trump just copped a bullet to the head and he's still standing.
Speaker 1: He should be on.
Speaker 2: Mount Rushmore before Joe Biden dreckon.
Speaker 4: Nancy Pelosi has accidentally let it slip how they persuaded Joe Biden to actually will contest.
Speaker 3: Will gitch you.
Speaker 1: We'll get your rush for Joe.
Speaker 2: Don't worry about it.
Speaker 4: And the only reason the Biden's a bit pissed off about that dealer is because Jill wanted to be up there as well, and I.
Speaker 3: Can't believe that she's not. But I mean, how's the gas lighting.
Speaker 4: I mean, we've been told that Kamala Harris is suddenly this amazing leader who's just incredible, So.
Speaker 3: That sort of being gas lit on that front.
Speaker 4: But now we've been gas lit that Joe Biden is one of the great figures of history.
Speaker 3: That's like Olympic level.
Speaker 8: It is, it is where he belong on Mount Rushmore. But you can't go past the polls in America for gas lighting. At the moment, of course, there was just a matter of time.
Speaker 7: Now that Kamala is.
Speaker 8: The best thing since slice spread, despite being wildly unpopular previous in her own lay party and as the most unpopular VP in American history.
Speaker 7: No, no, Now, the polls would have you believe that she is neck and neck with Trump. Believe it or not.
Speaker 8: Yes, this latest poll to come out is exactly asking you to believe that she is. It's fifty to fifty guys, it's down to the wire.
Speaker 7: We don't know who's going to get it. She's just that popular all of a sudden.
Speaker 8: Now The Trump campaign has come out and called this a furfee. Senior campaign advisor Brian Hughes has said, the fake news media continue to help dangerously liberal Kamala hide her record of economic failure and soft on crime policies, as this analysis shows, they'll even put a finger on the scale of polling to inflate.
Speaker 2: Results for her.
Speaker 8: Now, this wasn't dissimilar to a poll that came out just last week. It was a Reuter's ipsauce pole that also had her.
Speaker 7: So close to Trump. Everyone was like, shock pole, shop pole.
Speaker 8: I'm like, it's really not a shock poll once the media machine gets behind a candidate, and that poll showed once you scratch beneath the surface. They had, of course achieved this by over sampling Democrats. So in that poll they'd sampled four hundred and twenty six Dems versus three hundred and seventy six Republicans and three hundred and forty one Independence. So you can already see that slider inequality there that they're.
Speaker 7: Relying on to bump up a pole that is like shop pole. Their neck and neck.
Speaker 8: You guys won't believe what's happening, But I don't believe how this is doing the Kamala campaign any favors.
Speaker 7: They don't have mandatory voting over there.
Speaker 8: So if you're telling Democrat minded people, actually, she's doing really.
Speaker 7: Well, she's kind of got this in the bag, they may not even venture out to the polls.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't see what is to be gained in inflating any polls. And I don't see what's to be gained for the Trump campaign to complain about the roles even if they are inflated. And as you know, we often hear leaders in this country say, you know, there's only one pole that matters, and that's the one on voting day. And it's a bit cliche, but it is the reality.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: They're all the other polls that come, they don't matter. The only pole that matters is the one on election day. So you know, if they're diddling polls, I don't know if they're trying to get into this manifesting business, which is.
Speaker 1: You know, some sort of mental trick. Do you remember that book The Secret? And I think it then turned it.
Speaker 2: Into a TV and all about how you imagine things and then they come true. And people would tell stories about how much when they go to the shopping center. They imagine that there's going to be a car park three spots up from the front door, and then magically there's a car part there. I don't know whether they're thinking, Gee, if we just make the polls look like Carmala is going to win, then it means Camala is going to win.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. The world just doesn't work.
Speaker 2: Like that, so I can't see what there is to gain from it. And we know that even if you are trying to manifest these things into being. Let's just go back to twenty nineteen here in this country, where of course News poll, all the other polls, all the polls said that it was just going to be a walk over Labor victory and sports bet I remember at the time paid out everyone who had a bet on Labor a week before the election because they thought it was just done and dusted.
Speaker 1: There was no way the.
Speaker 2: Coalition was going to win, and then of course it went very differently on election night. Now, polling methodology has been changed significantly in Australia since then, and use poll in particular, if you look at the subsequent elections, has been very close to the mark. But if you're diddling it, who fought what there's there's nothing to be gained at.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: I wonder if they've got two stages to this, right, and they're still in the first stage where they're trying to convince everybody that Kamala Harris is a legitimate candidate and their right to put her there. Because we all laughed at we thought it was a great joke that they might actually go with Kamala Harris. They've done that, and now they're trying to convince us no, no, she's legitimate. The whole country believes in her. Look how well she's doing in the polls. And then what they should do is they should as they get closer to the election, then start to warn Trump's going to win this if you don't get out and vote and make themselves the underdog. Have listened to former Obama advisor David Axelrod. I love that surname, advising that Trump is the man in pole position and it's his election to lose. Clearly, he wants the Democrats to be underdogs because that will motivate people to get out and vote.
Speaker 9: There is absolutely Trump's raised to lose. Right now. He is ahead, and he is ahead most of the battleground states. They're close, they could be won by either candidate, but there is a lot to be determined the next ninety whatever it there is ninety six or whatever it is left.
Speaker 4: So the Dems want to be the underdog, and Trump should want to be the underdog as well. Also, I don't think it helps Trump focusing on things.
Speaker 2: Like fake poles.
Speaker 3: You're rigging the poles, focus on his record for four.
Speaker 4: Years as president, and focus on Kamala Harris's non existent record as vice president. And it doesn't help Trump to be talking about conspiracy theories and they're rigging the poles. Even if they are doing that, I think people are over all that kind of stuff. Talk about what you're going to do as president as compared to Kamala Harris, and make yourself the underdog so that people are motivated to get out and vote.
Speaker 8: If I was on the Trump campaign, I'd just be like, do not be telling people that these poles are in any way tamped mind, because if they believe that she could actually beat us, they are going to campaign like never before, they are going to donate like never before.
Speaker 7: They are going to put fire under our feet, and we need that boost let's have it.
Speaker 8: Let's have it, like you're really energizing the Trump base, which also begs the question why Kamala's people would want this, especially at this stage. I mean, it's very early on in the honeymoon stage.
Speaker 7: She will get a boost after.
Speaker 8: The DNC once she officially becomes nominee at the end of their National Conference, which is coming up this month.
Speaker 7: Her honeymoon period is this is just the early stages.
Speaker 8: It's only going to get better for her as the Kamala hysteria, the good kind of hysteria.
Speaker 7: Really continues to build her up, build her up more.
Speaker 8: Trump can weaponize that instead of saying, oh, it's fake.
Speaker 7: Just roll with it. It's all true.
Speaker 8: So we need you guys, We need you guys to get out there and volte, we need you guys.
Speaker 7: To donate, etc.
Speaker 1: Etc.
Speaker 8: I don't understand why they're now focusing on pointing out the fact that they're.
Speaker 2: Being and I don't think the holing at this point in time is that unbelievable either. I mean, you know, everything these days get sort of broken down into an acronym. Right, I'm gonna call it ABB The phenomenon is anyone but Biden right, and so Dems, even though it's Kamala Harris, just like it's not Joe Biden. Anything is better than Joe Biden. And that's why they've had such a surge of donations after Kamala replaced him as the presumptive candidate, because it's like, Okay, at least we've got someone here who, you know, even though the words they drink together a bit ordinary.
Speaker 1: They can actually they can actually get a sentence.
Speaker 2: Out without like freezing on stage. It doesn't make a great deal of sense, but she doesn't freeze on stage, and so she has that sort of momentum by not being Biden behind her that, as Liz just said, we'll pick up again after the DNC.
Speaker 1: The question is.
Speaker 2: Whether or not she can sustain that through until November. And much like in politics, you know, you rely on the polling, the big poll being the one that comes through on election day.
Speaker 1: Here in the media, we rely on ratings.
Speaker 2: You don't go to the ballot box to choose us, but you turn on your teley or you turn on your radio, or you go to a website to choose the stuff that you want to consume. And you haven't been consuming the ABC as much as you used to. We certainly know that from their most recent annual report, which said that people going to their websites and apps has been down twenty three percent. So the AABC has been scratching its head, go ge, what can we do about this? We've got to get more people back to the ABC. We know their ratings on radio have been in free fall, so they've gone on an advertising offensive and the latest numbers that have been released under FOI, this was an FOI request from the Institute of Public Affairs that was published in The Australian Today, shows that there's been a thirty three percent increase in the spending at the ABC's Advertising, Promotions and Audience Research department in the past twelve months. It's gone up to twenty one point four to one million dollars. Twelve point five two million dollars. Of that is their advertising spend, which has gone up by fifty one percent. The advertising spend has basically doubled, which is pretty incredible, even though the ads aren't working. Of course, the IBA's Deputy Executive Director, Daniel Wilde, who commissioned this FOI request, He said the ABC is no longer an institution of cultural importance in Australia as it once was. The ABC fails to represent the diverse views of the community. Despite receiving billions in taxpayer funds each year. Australians have little faith in the independence and integrity of the taxpayer funded broadcaster. Spending millions of taxpayer dollars to promote itself will not change this. And of course he is right. And I've wondered quite a few times seeing advertisements for the ABC. Why does the ABC need to be advertised at all? I mean, we know that the ABC exists, we know that we fund it. I don't think there's an Australian alive who isn't aware of the existence of the ABC. They know exactly how to engage with the ABC. They know that all of the ABC's content is free, whether it be on radio, television, abciview. You know, all their products are entirely free, so they can find them any which way they like. But they want to enter the same market as the rest of us. They want to compete with commercial media, so they take out advertisements, which in some way is good for us because they pay us to run their ads. For some odd reason, I've seen ads for the ABC on Fox Footy. I mean, I don't know what the ABC is doing advertising on Fox Footy, but if you want to reappropriate some of the taxpayer money to come to our company news corps, then go for your life.
Speaker 1: But I don't know why they have to advertise in the first place.
Speaker 2: And I remember what nearly ten years ago or about ten years ago, Sharing Markson of this network, who was then at The Australian as their media editor, was reporting on the fact that the ABC was buying up Google ad space so that if you would search for a news story and you know, obviously this wasn't a story at the time, but let's say you looked up Donald Trump assassination. They were essentially paying Google to prioritize ABC news stories above those of other media organizations. The rest of us have to compete to earn a dollar out of advertising. The ABC, meanwhile, which gets money no questions asked from the federal government, is paying for advertising space to squeeze out commercial competitors.
Speaker 1: It's not in their remit.
Speaker 4: The funniest thing about this story is it proves the more the ABC advertise themselves to Australians, the less Australians are inclined to watch.
Speaker 3: The more we know, the more we are likely to turn off.
Speaker 4: I mean, they don't need to spend what was it, twenty one point four million dollars on advertising, promotion and audience research. I mean we could tell them for free people will watch if they just provided balance. And as for audience research, seven point five million was spent on that. You've got to wonder where they did the audience research. I'm thinking new Town, South Yarra, maybe Highgate Hill in Brisbane. Judging by what they produce, if that's the result of the audience research, clearly they're not getting a very good overview. And maybe if they didn't use that slogan trusted news and Information for their advertising campaign, it might go a little better.
Speaker 3: People tend to think, yeah, I'm not so sure.
Speaker 8: Honestly, the old adage of marketing, anyone who's in it knows it. If your product's that good, you don't have to sell it that hard ABC And the fact that you guys are free and most other people aren't that already gives you the biggest advantage in any market.
Speaker 7: It's all yours, and they're just pissing it up a wall because go Boke go broke.
Speaker 8: That is exactly what has happened at the ABC, and the fact that they've never been spending more on this and their ratings have never been that low comparatively when you compare the two says everything, I would love to see this is never going to happen, but a girl can dream.
Speaker 7: I would love to see the ABC go subscriber only.
Speaker 8: Even if it wasn't expensive, say it was, say it was five bucks a month. I would love to see how many people were actually willing to put their hands in their pockets for the kind of content these guys put out. That that would answer a lot of questions, even for the ABC, because it's like, well, we're advertising, We're spending millions of dollars on this to get eyes on our product.
Speaker 7: It's not working.
Speaker 8: If we charged people for it, we'd see how many people even thought it was worth anything.
Speaker 7: They're getting it for free and they don't want it, or the very least, you.
Speaker 2: Could hive of parts of the ABS. I don't think you could take the whole ABC to a subscriber only model, because then you would be, you know, telling people out in the regions that they essentially have to free news.
Speaker 7: And also the classical music as I offer.
Speaker 2: Made classic AFM. I refuse to call it ABC classic. It's ClassicFM still in March.
Speaker 3: And the cricket is and the cricket cricket on the radio.
Speaker 1: They're the good bits of the ABC.
Speaker 4: If we keep going, we'll come up with justification for the way it should not be.
Speaker 2: This is true, but the rural and regional stuff is traditionally what the ABC has done best and has done so well. But because what you have seen over the last decade fifteen years is that they've been taking jobs out of the regions and centralizing them in ultimo at its headquarters in Sydney, and they've made some attempt now to to move some of their programming out to Paramata because that will really show those hoity toity people at the ABC or you have to mix among the real people.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I don't know what difference it's made moving their broadcast studios out to Paramatta instead of Altamo.
Speaker 1: But again it was just like, oh, well, we're trying to look like we're doing something.
Speaker 2: If we're going to try and look like you're doing something, how about you don't cut journalists in the regions and you don't cut rural journalists. In fact, cut jobs in the city and send those journals out of the regions, send them out to rural towns, have them reporting on the ground, doing stuff that no one else is doing.
Speaker 1: That's what we want to do.
Speaker 8: Rushville National Broadcaster would do no, but they're severely confused.
Speaker 3: For all the money they're spending on research.
Speaker 4: They got some free advice and some pretty good advice actually from their chair, Kim Williams. He addressed Radio National staff last month. A lincked recording was made available to the media, and apparently he's told them that they should start improving the service by actually reporting news on their news sites rather than soft edge of lifestyle stories.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 4: By the way I like this about Williams is we've got a chair who's actually chairing and getting involved.
Speaker 7: We know he's read their charter.
Speaker 8: That's very impressive for an ABC check listened to what he said.
Speaker 3: He gave some good advice.
Speaker 4: He said, and I quote, I think people have in moments of public torment, crisis, division, challenges to leadership. Are right to be able to access it from us reliably and immediately, not to suddenly see a lifestyle story being number one or two or three on their data platforms. He told staff during that meeting that he'd checked that day to see what were the number one stories they were promoting on their website and apps, and he told the journalists there was not a single state political story, not a single story on Ukraine, on Gaza, or on the French election that was happening at the time, but there are.
Speaker 3: A lot of sort of soft lifestyle stories.
Speaker 4: Now Radio National has an audience share of just one point five percent in Sydney and one point six percent in Melbourne, so maybe you could get people reading your news and listening to it if you reported it. And then he went on to say this, which I thought was interesting. When you consider the ABC get just over a billion dollars of taxpayer money, you'd think they could use it wisely. But he also criticized the way they structure and set up their business. Apparently everyone at the ABC is working in silos. He told them, the ABC has this myriad of services which are extremely proficient at not cross promoting each other. They're extremely practiced and developed in the art of ignoring each other.
Speaker 3: And I think that is not only to be regretted but is to be rejected.
Speaker 4: So not only are they not doing a good job of reporting the news, but they're not doing a great job leveraging the incredible advantages they get from a one point something billion dollars worth of taxpayer money.
Speaker 2: I know. And it's much like you look at the nine network now, which has radio assets, print assets and television assets, and they are very good at cross promoting. I mean Nick McKenzie, the investigative reporter over at nine, he's on sixty minutes, he's in the Sydney Morning, is in the age, he pops up on the radio. They're very good at using their talent across all of their bits and pieces, which is exactly what the ABC should be doing. Why have one person do the story on the website and then a different person do the story on the radio, and then another person do the story on the TV when you could.
Speaker 1: Have the one person do all of the reports because they've only got it.
Speaker 2: Right at once, they've just got it presented in different ways for different formats. Right, you can have one person do the job of what is currently three people's jobs. And all of this goes back to what I was saying before about the ABC trying to muscle into the commercial market. And it also goes to why the ABC has spent so much money on an increased spend on advertising and particular audience research, because what the ABC is worried about is that when they go to the federal government and ask for more money, and Kim Williams has already indicated that he wants more money out of the federal government, they have to be able to go over and say, well, we're getting x number of readers, X numbers of listeners, x number of viewers every month.
Speaker 1: We're increasing this, we're increasing that.
Speaker 2: And lifestyle content is traditionally good clickbait content. It's soft, it's stuff that you're quite happy to click on and have a Now, you might only spend thirty seconds on it, right, but it entices the reader in which then can artificially inflate your readership numbers. Now that's good for commercial media because you can sell advertising in that space, and that's the lifeblood of any commercial media organization. The great thing about the ABC is that they don't have to worry about their revenue stream. They don't have to go after the lowest common denominator to generate revenue. And then do the good work on the side. The ABC can just do the good work all the time because the billion dollars ain't going anywhere. They shouldn't be doing the lifestyle content at all. They should be purely focused on news and Australian television and Australian radio content that engages readers, listeners and viewers.
Speaker 1: And is good for the broader public.
Speaker 2: They don't need to do lifestyle, but they see it as the easy way to inflate their numbers to then get more revenue. So they're reverse engineering it to try and achieve what they ultimately want to achieve. When they could just go, well, bugger it, let's just spend all of our money on investigative journalism. I don't think anyone would complain about that.
Speaker 3: Why don't we give the last word to Kim Williams himself. Liz will love this clip.
Speaker 4: This is when he became chair back in March, and this is the advice he gave again for free to ABC journalists if they want people to actually tune in, you know, if you don't want to reflect a view that aspires to impartiality, don't work at the ABC. There, Lizzie can't be critical of that. If you don't want impartiality, don't work at the ABC.
Speaker 2: None.
Speaker 7: But I'm afraid looks as great as that sounds. Have we seen any changes since March? Have we seen any changes of the ABC? And now we haven't. I've said it before and I'll say it again.
Speaker 8: If Maurice Newman as chairman could not turn the ABC und, I don't know that anybody can, because my money would have been on him. And obviously, and as we've said many times.
Speaker 7: Before, this is an organization wide thing.
Speaker 8: So it almost doesn't matter whose chairman, as much as we like to pay out on them, Sorry Ada Bartros, because obviously they've got some leverage, but they're not running the show. And so even when they do talk good, solid common sense.
Speaker 7: I don't think it's anything to get excited about.
Speaker 8: Because of the thousands of people working for this organization, we know that they are biased, and we know that they're churning out lifestyle stories they've got there. Something that always just absolutely blows my mind is the ABC queer content on Instagram, and a lot of that is the kind of content that you really hope that younger people aren't seeing because it's simply not appropriate, and you wonder how many taxpayer dollars are going in to advertising this. Kids, as we know, are far too young on Instagram these days, Instagram in particular that kind of thing where you're like, what is our national broadcaster doing when, like you say, Caleb could just be covering the news, wouldn't that be great?
Speaker 3: You mentioned Ida Buttros.
Speaker 4: By the way, the funny thing about Ida Buttro's and Kim Williams is we've heard I think more from Ida Buttros since she stopped.
Speaker 3: Being the chair.
Speaker 4: At least Kim Williams is making statements while he's running the show and trying to.
Speaker 3: Have an effort.
Speaker 2: But this is the danger though, is never Kim Williams that you know, he goes in there and tries to do something and then ultimately can't do anything because the staff run the show, which is I'm assuming what Ida Buttro's came up against, right Like, I'm sure she went in there, given how vocal she's been now, I'm sure she tried to do something while she was in there, but she quickly worked out that the animals are running the zoo, so now she can finally say what she actually thinks because she couldn't do it from the inside.
Speaker 1: And that's the problem with that sort.
Speaker 2: Of blowing the ABC up. And again I'm not sure you how you actually fix the place.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, Yeah, I'm not sure you can blow it up.
Speaker 4: Let's go to the UK where they're experiencing some of the worst riots they've seen in well over a decade. It all began last Monday when three girls were stabbed to death by a seventeen year old young man born in England but believed to be the son of migrants. Well, that event has caused mass riots by people angry about immigration, and then counter protests by immigrants themselves. Now will show you some of the footage from the riots in a moment, but it's worth having a listen first to newly installed PM Keir Starmer condemning the riots and specifically what he calls far right thuggery.
Speaker 3: Have listened.
Speaker 10: I utterly condemn the far right thuggery we've seen this weekend. Be it no doubt those that have participated in this violence will face the full force of the law. The police will be making arrests, individuals will be held on remand charges will follow and convictions will follow.
Speaker 4: All right, so if you're not familiar with what's been happening, have looked at this footage which shows the scale of the riots that have happened over the past week. These rights are happening right across the country. Have looked at this vision from outside our holiday inn where migrants will believe to be being accommodated, and check out the crowd trying to break into the hotel.
Speaker 2: The other.
Speaker 4: Now, people upset about unsustainably high levels of immigration and some of the violence that that has brought to the UK and other trouble they've been met by counter protesters chanting a la akba. I want to show you just one more piece of vision before we talk about it. Have a look at the police struggling to contain Actually, this is not the one with the police. This is a guy being beaten up on the street by an angry mob, just one guy trying to escape them, and as I said, police struggling to contain it. Okay, so it's just mayhem over there. Liz, give us your take. What on earth is going on?
Speaker 7: I think this was always bound to happen.
Speaker 8: I've always believed I don't believe in multiculturalism. I believe in a multi ethnic society, absolutely, but when you have societies that are essentially at odds with each other, you're going to have incredible resentment grow in the hearts of the native English people when they see their because it's not there's.
Speaker 7: A big distinction between the legal migrants, and.
Speaker 8: Yes, there have been an unprecedented number over them during the last administration and that's not going to end under Kirstama.
Speaker 7: He's made that pretty clear.
Speaker 8: But then there's also hundreds, like the most conservative estimate at the moment is eight hundred and illegal immigrants who, similar to America, are being housed in different hotels like the one we just saw, at the cost of millions of pounds per day to the British taxpayer. So it is in while in some sense, yes, the catalyst for this has been the death of those three beautiful girls just going to.
Speaker 7: A dance lesson that is the tip of the iceberg. England has been over the last decade through such a massive change.
Speaker 1: I have often.
Speaker 8: Wondered, especially when terrible crimes like this take place, how far they are, how close they are rather to boiling point, And what we are seeing right now is boiling point.
Speaker 7: Last week we were looking at footage of.
Speaker 8: Police cars on fire and people just completely out of control. It doesn't look like it's going to be settling anytime soon. But something that I really took note of with Kirstarmer's address today, this is what I see as a prime minister siding with murderous alien foreigners over their own native people. And every time a leader does this they use the same word far right, far right, far right.
Speaker 7: We know, and it has been the.
Speaker 8: Case through centuries of the past, that riots true riots. We're not talking about people just walking along chanting the same thing.
Speaker 7: At the same time.
Speaker 8: Riots like these are the language of severely disenfranchised people. Now I am not condoning the violence that's taking place, I'm not condoning the vandalism, etc. But these people are absolutely sick of it. They are absolutely sick of it. We have seen even a British serviceman literally decapitated in the streets of London. There are countless stories I could go through that just absolutely hair raising stories. This has been happening for years and years and years, and people are sick of it and you can't blame them.
Speaker 2: It's interesting to look at his statement today about these riots compared to how he went out of his way during the BLM rights to not condemn that right, because because it's very easy to condemn far right activists, it's not so easy to condemn, you know, people who are standing up for a social justice cause in the same way that he didn't condemn those clearly Muslim protesters carrying on our ark bar and gathering way that the other side has been.
Speaker 1: And I think Nigel Farag, of.
Speaker 2: Course has recently been elected for the Reform UK Party, was right in a statement that he put out today saying that he condemns the violences. I think we all do. But what has led to this is that every time people have tried to have a civil discussion about the state of migration in the UK, and it's the same across the rest of the Western world, you are howled down for doing so. You're called racist for daring to ask basic, pretty straightforward questions about the culture of your country and the makeup of your country, etc. And so if you keep telling people that they are bad people, they'll start acting like bad people because what's their left to lose? Right, You've told me that I'm a leper, Well, bugger it. I'm going to act like one because I've got no other outlet left to use. And that is the point that the UK has reached now. And of course, you going back to what you were saying about all of this stemming from the killing of those three girls and the early stages after that, we know that that believe that he is the alleged murderer is.
Speaker 1: The son of migrants.
Speaker 2: In the early stages, there were stuff floating around online suggesting that he was a refugee himself, and they're a suggestion that that information may have been proliferated across the Internet by foreign nations. Now, you would not blame any foreign nation outside of the West for pushing that kind of misinformation online when they can see how much we ourselves have done to divide our nations. Why would you not take the opportunity to essentially divide and conquer and whip up disunity in Western nations at moment like moments like those through misinformation because it proves the point of exactly how we are.
Speaker 1: It's what it's done.
Speaker 4: Just quickly, Kirstarmer is saying we're going to jail all of the people involved in these riots. But I was reading today that there are only seven hundred spaces left in all the jails in England for males, and they are currently in the process of releasing thousands of prisoners once they serve forty percent of their term to free up jail space. They rested one hundred and fifty people already over these rights. They want to arrest hundreds more, but they literally don't have any space in jails to put them into.
Speaker 8: And that's what he will use this for, by the way, to villify the patriots, badly behaving patriots, naughty, bad patriots, stop it, and to villify anyone who holds any kind of anti immigration sentiment when it's not necessarily anti immigration sentiment. It's anti mass immigration, anti illegal immigration.
Speaker 7: That's what he's already doing. It's just so predictable it grosses me out.
Speaker 3: We're to go to a break.
Speaker 4: When we come back, we'll look at what's making news tomorrow, including Stephen miles promise to open state owned petrol stations.
Speaker 3: It's coming up. Welcome back.
Speaker 4: Let's take a look at what's making news in tomorrow's papers. There's a fair bid on We'll start with the Courier Mail, which has a great photo of the photo finish.
Speaker 3: Of the one hundred meter event at the Olympics.
Speaker 4: But the story is interesting. State gets into petrol business, caps price rises. Stephens Servo reads the headline, A re elected labor government would open state owned fuel stations in an extraordinary market intervention designed to lower prices. Now, Miles has already promised that he will ban fuel stations from hiking prices by more than five cents eliter on any one day, but he's now promising if he's re elected, he will open up a series of state owned fuel stations across Queensland where they're quote most needed.
Speaker 3: So I think this is a great idea.
Speaker 4: Okayle If they're going to open up state owned petrol stations to help cost of living, we could next have state owned supermarkets. Stephen Miles can go into the supermarket business.
Speaker 3: What else could he open up? He could do all sorts of time.
Speaker 2: Oh, I was going to say state owned media, but we've already got one of those, haven't we know?
Speaker 1: He could just have state owned everything.
Speaker 2: Welcome to communist Queensland. I don't understand when you see people, I don't understand what he's trying to do here. Well, I get the idea that he's going to open a bunch of servos at which he is presumably going to have cheap fuel, in the hopes that it means the other servos around the joint have to lower their prices. But this business about, I'm going to change it so that you can't put the price up by more than five cents on any given day. The effect of that, and again I understand what he's trying to do, but the effect of that will be that it will essentially equalize the market, because right now, you know, on one day you can have fuel prices let's say a dollar sixty seven for unleaded, and then the next day it'll be two dollars. So that's a you know, I'm bad with mathematics. It's that twenty three cents that that goes between twenty Is it twenty three cents?
Speaker 1: I don't know anyway, I can't do the numbers in my head right now.
Speaker 2: No, it's just thirty three cents, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter, it doesn't matter, it doesn't matter. What I'm saying is that if you take away the ability to through the current price cycles, I mean, I have the price cycles where fuel goes down and then fuel goes back up again, and then it sort of slowly comes back down until it reaches a low price, and then it shoots back up again. What would happen if you can have no more than a five cent increase each day is that once you hit the bottom of the price cycle, it would only be able to go up by five cents on any given day, so you go from sixty seven to seventy two, and on and on it would go, which means you're not going to have the price cycles anymore. The fuel price is just going to sit somewhere in the middle of the price cycle, because why would you put your prices up or down if you can only do it in five cent increments every day. And the effect of that will be that every time you go to the bowser, you might be paying between a dollar eighty and a dollar ninety, whereas now, if you're smart, you might be able to fill up at a dollar sixty seven and then wait for the cycle to go down again. Every now and again you get caught and you've got to pay the.
Speaker 1: Two dollars or whatever.
Speaker 2: But you'd equalize the market so that every one is paying the same all the time basically, which may well be more than what you're paying for.
Speaker 8: You will never assume he only means by increase. You've got to assume because the whole idea.
Speaker 7: Of opening a dozen state owned petrol stations is to.
Speaker 8: Help out with costs of living, make this more affordable for people by supplying more competition in the market, especially in.
Speaker 7: The areas where it's most needed.
Speaker 8: As he goes on to say, but if if it would have the effect that you're describing, then you're actually not helping people out at the hip pocket at all. So I'm going to assume that he simply means you cannot adjust it more than five cents on the increase, not on the decrease.
Speaker 1: But that's the thing.
Speaker 2: If you can't, at the end of the price cycle jump up thirty cents, and you've got to do it by five cents every day, why would you put your price down to the bottom of the cycle in the first place, knowing that you just meet it somewhere in the middle. So instead getting down to the dollar sixty, at least you say you go down to a dollar eighty, and then you can increase it by five cents a day back up to two bucks, because if you go all the way down to the bottom of the price cycle, you're going to do it again, say tuned out every single day. I can't see how the petrol operators would copy that.
Speaker 4: Bottom line is I can't believe he's serious about this, but I do believe he's serious about the headline. He's going to do something about cost of living to make and he only has to convince people until October.
Speaker 2: And he may be the only bloke who believed he has petul in the tank. Let's go to the Australian where, of course the big story of the day tomorrow. Green's divisive rhetoric is fueling domestic terror threat, says the PM.
Speaker 1: Anthony Alberezi has.
Speaker 2: Accused the Greens of fueling community divisions that have prompted the government to raise the terrorism threat level from possible to probable, saying the party support for long running protests outside MP's officers is undermining social cohesion. Now, look may well be true that there have been protests going on outside MP's offices for some time, including his own electorate office in Graindler in Marrickville, complaining about actually think it's in Newtown his office, but you know, complaining about the government stance on the Israel and gars of war. But if you have a look at the people who hang around outside these MP's officers, I don't think any of them would make very good terrorists. The fact that they've been perched out in the front of an MP's office for upwards of the world. What is it now, January, they started out in front of the PM's office. They ain't going to be terrorists. They would have done something by now if they were going to do it. I get the argument that he makes about for order trouble being whipped up by this war and the way the Greens have treated it. I don't know it's got much to do with the protests outside MP's offices.
Speaker 3: Agreed.
Speaker 4: What strikes me about this article is not so much the Prime Minister's comments, but the Spy chiefs comments, who says that the increased terror threat is due to and I quote, people with personal grievance and intolerance. So I'm just confused as to what that means. People are just generally just annoyed and intolerant and that's the threat level.
Speaker 3: Then he goes on to refer to what's happening in Gaza.
Speaker 4: Okay, now we're getting a bit more specific, but to say, well, there's people with personal grievances and they're intolerant. And then he goes on to talk about what extreme ideologies. What's an extreme ideology? If you're an extreme Christian, you believe in really loving your neighbor and really forgiving your emens, so to say, extreme ideologies, some extreme.
Speaker 3: Ideologies are really good.
Speaker 4: What made me laugh is is on the one hand, you've got people with personal grievances and extreme ideologies and conspiracies, right, that's what's causing the threat.
Speaker 3: Then the Greens.
Speaker 4: Senator David Schubridge, he says that Anthony Albanezi is just by criticizing them as platforming personal grievances and he's buying into quote conspiracy theories.
Speaker 3: Is alban Easy a.
Speaker 4: Prime suspect for a terror it's you're going to leave you a terror threat. Be specific, tell us what you're really talking about, and trust us to be able to have a sensible conversation instead of hinting at vagaries that we all know what you're saying, but you're not really saying.
Speaker 7: For the PM to be like the Greens are driving this.
Speaker 8: I don't think the Greens are quite that powerful, to be honest, I don't think that's why azi O's bumped up the terror threat.
Speaker 2: Now we were going to do another story on the front of the oars, but let's talk about this quickly before we go to the break. What's going on in the world of working from home?
Speaker 8: Liz Well, the new South Walian premiere. Some call him chris Min, call him other things. Now I say, whalien, don't shoot. The messenger has said everyone's.
Speaker 2: Going to get back to work.
Speaker 7: He's not taking this anymore.
Speaker 2: Hi ho, Hi ho. It's back to work we go.
Speaker 11: Thousands of New South Wales public servants will return to the offices full time from today, with work from home privileges run voked by the Men's government in a.
Speaker 8: Move welcomed by Sydney's business leaders as a lifeline for the struggling CBD.
Speaker 7: Obviously, it's very obvious a lot why the state's doing this. There's very real incentives there.
Speaker 8: But I'd love to know how many people leave, because this has become a do or die for a lot of people when they're interviewing for jobs or making up their minds about which ones.
Speaker 7: To take or indeed staying where they're currently.
Speaker 4: What's hilarious about this is the Victorian government got by contrast to saying public servants there can work from home and maybe this will attract more public servants to Victoria, which is just what the state of Victorian needs. When you go to a bank, what do you do when you arrive home to find another family in your swimming pool?
Speaker 3: That's coming up, Come on, welcome back, all right.
Speaker 4: A really interesting story is from Montreal about a family who arrived home to find strangers at their place.
Speaker 7: Having a pool party in the back. Yeah.
Speaker 8: The homeowners are of course thinking what on earth is going on? They approach these people living it up in the pool and uh, well this is what ended up happening.
Speaker 2: There was people in our pool.
Speaker 7: First reaction is clearly was I have what are you doing here?
Speaker 6: On Sunday Marie Jose came home to a surprise a family of five strangers were in her pool. Then she found out they had paid someone else to be here.
Speaker 8: Young people could have run the place to do a big party.
Speaker 6: The gate has a lock, and chose had removed the ladder the day.
Speaker 8: Before when we arrived, the ladder was like floating around with them, so yeah, it was funny.
Speaker 7: So we all did for them to go out.
Speaker 6: Chose says the family was reasonable when asked to leave, but she fears someone could have gotten hurt. She found out the rental was booked through the pool sharing app Swimply the pool was listed for twenty four dollars an hour, with loud music, smoking and alcohol allowed.
Speaker 8: So it turns out the former homeowner still making big bucks off the backyard pool. And of course the homeowner would have had to approve the bookings so they would know that they are just foisting a pool party upon the unsuspecting current homeowners.
Speaker 7: Hilarious.
Speaker 2: It's only a raught if you're not in honor. Now Rapper fifty fifty cents sorry once sang a song called patiently waiting, and you may will be patiently waiting for your train this morning in Brisbane, where today they reduced fears to fifty cents. So the premier, Stephen Miles, who we told you before, wants to open up state owned petrol stations. He's already trying to do himself out of business by getting it.
Speaker 1: To go on the train instead.
Speaker 2: But imagine if you were one of the people who'd got on the train to enjoy your fifty cent ride this morning and you were confronted by this, I'm on the train.
Speaker 3: For the quest day of fifty cent theirs and let's go to see so many people?
Speaker 2: Is it's just so awkward?
Speaker 7: Make we use it every day?
Speaker 2: We have to.
Speaker 7: This is how we get to work if we're not here for the fifty cent sale.
Speaker 4: And we'll pay full fair if we don't have to ride with him that the lasters stick around.
Speaker 3: Coming up is the Red Penny Show.