Speaker 1: From the Sky News Center. This is Paul Murray Live. Well, good evening, welcome to the program. Thank you, Denika and James Palmerray live here James Borrow filling in one last time for the great man himself, Paul, who will be back in the man Cave tomorrow night. I promise, canned, rested and ready, but do not fret, because I get tell you what. It's a super special Sunday Night here to kick off the week. In a little while, I'll be joined by the Great Jacintha Price, Yes you love her, who has a new project she wants to tell you all about. Plus Adam Creighton from Washington, DC on all the US madness and you're not going to believe who some people are talking about could be the next Democrat nominee for president. Plus our great Sunday Night duo, Christi mcsweety and Lisa Goddard. But first, you know what, let's check in the Donald, shall we lessen? A week after? A madman, A madman, by the way, about whom strangely little is yet publicly known go figure try to kill the once and likely future President Donald Trump was out there today. The man literally as Teddy Roosevelt famously put it in the arena. He had this to say, which I think is going to be the crux of his whole campaign going forward. They keep saying he's a threat to democracy. I'm saying, what the hell did I do for democracy? Last week? I took a bullet for democracy? Well, that's right. It's good to see he hasn't let copying a bullet in the old hereflap get him down if you would turn off those cameras, because I don't want to see the screen up there of me. That's very severe. That come over, that's his That's a severe sucker. What's with that one? It looks okay from the other side, but that is very severe. I apologize, man. I looked up there. I said, whoa, look at that. Wow, that's like a work of art. I should have so much hair to comb over. Now, speaking of the shooting, though, that assassination attempt, a couple of more developments got to share with you on that front, which we'll be going into a bit more deeply later on in the show. Namely, and here's the thing, the Trump campaign, it turns out, had been asking the US Secret Service for more protection for some time but apparently it had been denied. Now this is pretty big news because the government had been claiming no, no, no, that's nonsense. We never got any requests for more protection. Oh really, Well, here's the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, Alejandro Bojorkis, who has ultimate oversight of the Secret Service. Just a week or so.
Speaker 2: Ago, Republican Congressman Mike Walls, he sat on social media on Saturday, and I'm going to read this for you because it does talk about you, Secretary. I have very reliable sources telling me that there have been repeated requests for stronger Secret Service protection for President Trump, denied by Secretary Majorcis. Your department has already pushed back on that, calling that absolutely false. But he is putting this on you. Can you respond to that please?
Speaker 1: Well? That is yeah, that's a baseless and irresponsible statement and is one that is unequivocally false. Well, as Jerry Springer used to say, rest in peace. Jerry, the lie detective determined that was a lie. Oh and here's the chief flak for the US Secret Service, Anthony Googly. Emmy, get a load of this guy. Just last week he tweeted, quote, there's an untrue assertion that a member of the former president's team requested additional security resources and that those were rebuffed. This is absolutely false unquote. Well, ah, that's funny because now the New York Times is reporting, just as we went to air that actually the Secret Service is turning around and saying, oh, yeah, no, actually, yeah, we didn't get those requests. Anyway. The number two bit to this here, Kimberly Cheetle, the head of the Secret Service, remember her, Well, guess what she is due to testify before Congress on Monday US time. And ain't that gonna be interesting? I think she's going to be asked all sorts of questions, and I hope top among them is why and how the Secret Service in the cops managed to identify the shooter as a person of in somebody who was carrying around a range finder, somebody who apparently managed to hide a gun on the site, and they identified him as a person of interest a full hour before Trump took the stage, and then did precisely zero, zilch nothing about it. They let Donald Trump go up there and speak. They didn't pull them off the stage where they saw there was a problem. Frankly, if she doesn't fall on her sword. Well, I think that's exactly why people are so cynical about Washington at willing and really excited about voting Trump. Now also happening Monday in the US, and I know this is very US heavy and we will get to all the ausy news coming up, so don't worry about that. But there may be news on Monday. We may have a decision from Joe Biden as he answers the question first post more than forty years ago by the clash, should I stay or should I go? I won't say it. I have been told by multiple sources that we could have an announcement that quickly from the President as to whether or not he will stay in the twenty twenty four race. But guess what, I love my sources, but they're not always right. I could be wrong about this, and if I am, I will cop it sweet. But I don't think he goes on Monday. In fact, I think Biden still may not go at all. Why Well, first of all, there's no succession plan yet. The Democrats are totally divided as to whether they coronate Kamala Harris, a nominee as scenes that must resemble the Death of Stalin play out in the White House. Number two. Benjamin B. Bingety is coming to Washington this week to address Congress. And that's the thing here. Joe Biden hates nendan Yahoo like Biden hates net Yaho's so much like to the extent that net Yahoo is more likely to be sending silly memes back and forth with fatima payment than he is to get a war welcome from the President if the president that is, can remember who net yahoo is, which may be a bit of an open question at this point. Now. So the point this is that he doesn't want Biden doesn't want to give net Yahoo the satisfaction of being there in town when this great concession comes down, and finally there's this. It's the biggest question I think of all If Joe Biden is to continue as president for the next six months but not as the nominee, they need a damn good answer to the question, why is it that he is still okay for running the most important job in the world. And I'm talking about the one with the nuclear codes and all of that stuff, particularly as the talk around town talks to dementia Parkinston's disease, and all the journalists and politicians who hid the fact that Biden was on the slide now tell ever more lurid stories about his troubles to create the atmosphere to pressure him to get out of the way. So it's all very anti democratic, I think, and I think it's kind of ironic that the Democrat Party calls itself such because it's not the people who are choosing the leader anymore. They rushed Biden through that primary, and now they want to put in somebody else. Well, watch this space. I tell you things are only going to get weirder. Now, let's get into all of this now with my Sunday Night panel, Christy mcsweey from the pr Council and Lisa Goddard from a Dotty Media. Welcome to you both. First of all, we got to do a bit of Biden. I'm sorry. I know that this is the big topic, but it is the biggest story in the world, which is some people are saying as I say, I don't necessarily agree that Joe Biden is going to get out of the president's race. He's given no indication he wants to go. We all know Joe Biden is a stubborn man, but it seems every day a new call comes for him to drop out. Christiy mcsweey. Let's start with you stay or go? A should he and B will he?
Speaker 3: Well, I think yes, hey short, that's become evident, And of course it's become increasingly evident that there is been significant cover up about his physical stat of decline, if not mental state of decline for some time, which has been now exposed for the international media to see on that debate stage and followed up for the international media to see again at the so called Big Boy press conference NATO. But the language being used is so peculiar. Right now, you have Donald Trump, whose marga movement as they call it. They don't call it a political party, they call it a movement talks about the elites and being anti elitist, and the elites versus hard working Americans. Now the Democrats themselves are talking about the elites in the context of those who lead the Democratic Party trying to overthrow Joe Biden to make decisions around that. Joe Biden himself has used the term the elites think I run Washington. So everybody who's using Trump language for really different reasons at the moment. And of course it's been a may kulper for MSNBAS and Morning Joe and other types of Democrat heavy media, hasn't it who are now joining the chorus of these thirty five Democrats House and congressional Democrats who've come out and said he has to go.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing. I mean, Lisa God, that's a great point you make about the media and how they've all basically gas lit everybody. But you know, these are the same people who literally a month ago were saying that when shows like by US Report and you know, people on other networks showed clips of Joe Biden, you know, stumbling missing words, forgetting people's names in press conferences, confusing you know, Mexico with Egypt, as he did during that other press conference when he was trying to prove that he was not suffering from dementia, as the Robert Hill report into his classified documents suggested. How is it that we can trust these media sources that have just turned on a dime, because clearly they knew they'd watched, if they'd traveled with them, they'd seen all of this up closed, but decided to gatekeep this information you know, not just from the American public but the world, James.
Speaker 4: What they were doing was saying to people what you were actually seeing isn't real, so that they were seeing one thing, as you say, on the planes when they're up close with the president, and the very few press conferences or times he would try to talk to the media, but to the public, they were saying, well, what you're seeing isn't true. You're not what's being said on the other side. Don't believe it. It's all lies. And they all caught up with them. So you know, you got to the debate and there was don't denying the fact that his mental cognitive ability, it just isn't there where it should be. And from that point on, it's just been a disaster for them. And look, it's as awful as it is the assassination attempt on Trump, this has played out for him now where you've actually got the Republican Party, as you know, rallied around him, and it's made it even worse for the Democrats now. So you've got to the point where you've got climate activists outside of the White House actually protesting and saying that Biden needs to stand down as a Democrat, you have to say, well, we have a real problem here.
Speaker 1: Well, Christy, though, I mean, things can change very quickly in a political campaign. You know, the Republicans and Trump, they've had a narrative for like three and a half years now, basically, you know, Sleepy Joe, you know, he can't do it. He's all you know, you know, he can't make it up the stairs and all this sort of thing. He falls off his bike, and you know, to a certain extent, you know, we've had a lot of you know, traction all that had a little fun with that too along the way, you know, before it became as serious as it is. But how can the Republicans now if they swap out for somebody, even Kamala Harris, you know, with all of her unburdened by what has been talk, how do they pivot then to create because the Democrats will have to create a new campaign, but presumably, Christy, the Republicans have to create a new campaign too. Well.
Speaker 3: The Republicans have changed their narrative, as you mentioned, that narrative around Sleepy Joel and Grandpa Joel and being locked in the basement and so forth. That's really changed now with this term that they use in the US called sarrogates, So they've got Republican sarrogates, which essentially are Republicans aligned commentators and professionals in law in the justice system. But they are professional commentators who are aligned to the Republican Party, former staffers, media operatives, and they are now changing from this narrative to the narrative around people who love Joe Biden and people in his immediate circle who care for his welfare have to tell him to go, So it's less attacking, it's more appealing to empathy. They don't want to get caught out attacking a man who clearly does have cognitive decline. They don't want to get caught out attacking the Democrats while they're in trouble. They need to see that play out and capitalize on their own momentum, which is very, very good at the moment. So there's been a shift and there's been a change, and of course political parties don't want to put money into a campaign around who may be the new Democrat nominee if they don't have to, so they're holding on and they're using that very empathetic language.
Speaker 4: In the meantime, Hey.
Speaker 1: Let's move over though, to the Republic inside now, because we're talking an awful lot about the Democrats, but there's a lot of really interesting stuff happening over there. Donald Trump, of course, had his first rally following the assassination attempt. Here he is talking about his experience. They keep saying he's a threat to democracy. I'm saying, what the hell did I do for democracy?
Speaker 4: See?
Speaker 1: Last week, I took a bullet for democracy. I mean, as a grab goes. That's really incredible. And for the first time, he was joined on stage after the convention with his vice presidential nominee JD Vance, who had some strong words for his opponent, at least for now, his counterpart, Kamala Harris.
Speaker 5: I did serve in the United States Marine Corps build a business.
Speaker 1: What the hell have you done other than collect the check? What has she done other than collect the check from.
Speaker 5: Her political offices?
Speaker 1: And we have to give her credit, my friends, she did serve as bordered as are during.
Speaker 4: The biggest disaster open border that we've ever had in this country.
Speaker 1: Lisa Gonnard, let's start with you. What do you make of JD Evans? He seems I mean, I don't want to put words in your mouth. He might tell me that he's awful, but I think that he's quite impressive. And I think the fact that he's thirty nine, you know, there's a lot of potential for him to be this finally, this generational change away from this kind of you know, too much elder and not enough statesman we've seen in American politics lately.
Speaker 4: Well, it's a succession plan for the Republicans pretty much when you look at the Trump's decision to put him in. But what he also does is he appeals to the Republican base. He also then also tells a story for lack of an aspirational person, because when you talk about his background, where he's come from, to the fact that he's now standing up as the potential next VP for America, he is everything that people can aspire to be. And I think that will help win over some people who aren't necessarily hardcore Trump voters and hardcore Republicans, but can see that there is hope there. Look, I would think it was very interesting watching from arund a half long first speech to the RNC. It was a very different Donald Trump to what we were used to when he did speak about what happened at that rally when he was shot, But it didn't take long before he was back in his stride and on those same message points that he's been on for years and years. And the reaction from everyone at that valley, from the R and C was you could see tears building up in people's eyes when he was talking about what happened at the rally where he was shot at and then moving with him and cheering him on. They want to hear exactly the points that he's raising about immigration, about the cost of living, and strangely enough, a lot of the same issues are the issues here that Albanezi and Dunton are having to battle with.
Speaker 1: Well, Christy, one of the things that I think is really interesting about J. D. Vance is that he brings a lot of intellectual theft to this. You know, he's got a really interesting background and he's spent a lot of time kind of in the intellectual wilds, you know, engaged with a lot of big ideas around this kind of new conservative movement that's building up and as a repudiation of kind of the old neo conservative ideas. But one thing that is really interesting to me these two guys trump advists. They could not have a more different biography, and yet Trump's message many times seems to be a little little bit you know, you're a victim of all of these forces to his audiences. Advance I think is more about you have a responsibility to do what I did, which is to make your way up. How do you think these two compliment each other?
Speaker 3: Look, of course, Banks started out as what they call in the US a never Trumper, someone who was in the Republican Party who didn't like Trump. But he has changed over the last couple of years, and I think that's a genuine change. Obviously, he wouldn't be appointed vice president, he wouldn't have this closeness with Donald Trump if that if that wasn't genuine. And he now truly believes in the Make America Great movement and what it aspires to achieve for people that come from where he's from, the Appalachian Mountains, of course, you know, James Yuall from the US. This is a place in America that is most affected by the opioid crisis, by the fentanyl importation, by the loss of industry. It is the most economically depressed region in the United States. Where he's from It's also near where Hillary went to march with the Democrat workers, all of those people who had lost their jobs in her campaign and was booed. So this is territory that the Democrats have lost and it's turned to Donald Trump because he speaks their language. There is not many people who make it out of where jd. Vance is from and finish high school and go to college. Let alone, Ivy League, Let alone then go on to work Invention Capital in New York, and let alone then get elected to this Senate. I mean, if you want to talk about the anti swamp, this guy is it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Look, I want to just stick a little bit with this, but kind of move to Australia because before we moved to the fullestry politics. I also want us to have a look at how the ABC has been dealing with some of this stuff. And predictably they've been having kittens all over the place. But let's have a look at ABC presenter John Barron, who gave us some of that neutral balance for reporting that we know the ABC always does when it comes to Donald Trump and the Republican National Convention speech. Well, he tweeted, quote Trump is riffing, rambling, making stuff up. This is an awful speech. Interesting, he's not daunted by the moment. He just doesn't care. Unquote and that quote. This is bad for a standard Trump speech, as a convention speech. It's appallingly bad. And then he went on and on and on. Christi mckswey, let's start with you. I thought there was a whole thing with the new head of the ABC that we were gonna be you know, seeing them leave their opinions at the door, and we've seen kind of this anti Trump's teria everywhere on the network. Trump just breaks their brains, doesn't he.
Speaker 3: I think that people who are you know, they have their left wing colors nailed to the mast. It's very hard for them to understand how people see the appeal in Donald Trump. But if you look at it from a cultural anthropological movement and the economic levers in the US, it has led to the Make America Great movement gaining popularity, you can easily see why there's significant appeal. But yes, there are people who are slightly not really objective about that. Although I will say the show that John Baron does with Chad litchardello Planet America on the ABC, they do wack into Joe Biden as well. So the show itself is pretty objective, but your personal views, yeah, obviously they're leading one way.
Speaker 1: Well, Lisa, the really thing that's really interesting to be here is that we've seen all this gatekeeping by the US media about how you know, John Iiden has had all these problems and struggles and cognitive decline and senescence. But you know, is what we're seeing here with the ABC like an attempt to try and police people's viewpoints on Trump because their great terror is what they keep saying, is Trump be in politics and you know, MAGA type movements and so on happening in Australia. For them, this is like wor some bird flu landing.
Speaker 4: Are you trying to say they're trying to push their bias under the Australian public? Is that what you're saying? They're no, no, no, no, no no. Look I think exactly right. You know they have a particular or certain members of the ABC have particular political views. Most people will have particular political views. But I still maintain that as a journalist, your job is meant to be providing a balanced report. You're supposed to provide facts, not opinion. When you're on opinion shows. Absolutely, it's all about what you think and what your views are. It's marked that. But the problem with the ABC is that the news programs, as we've said over and over, filtered too much with opinion and bias as opposed to just presenting the facts. And if they were presenting the facts, they would have been very clear about what is happening with Biden's health, and they would have been there in their reporting of Donald Trump. And I don't think it was.
Speaker 1: No, absolutely not. And they believe the ultimo kind of cathedral is there to tell the rest of us what to do and think. And I think it's a pretty disgraceful use of more than a billion dollars a year of our tax dollars. Call me crazy, anyway. I want to talk about also because you know, it impacted lots and lots of people, including me here on Sky Friday's madness with the clown strike sorry, I mean crowd strike faults, sending seemingly half the world into Chao. First of all, based with both of you, Christy, Lisa, where you affected? Christy?
Speaker 3: Yeah, my server is connected to another server was affected, so I didn't have any email, and I didn't appear on TV because it's you say, we didn't have any jokes. So we had people waiting around in the news room waiting to broadcast. And I've seen people photographs of the newsroom with whiteboards resorting to manual writing. This happened to me once when I worked at Quantus and we got a new check in system and I had a global outage and it was bedlam. And we saw those scenes again on Friday. But it just gives us a reminder, doesn't it, of how intricately our lives depend on these global technology systems and how we now can't do without them.
Speaker 1: And you know, I'll tell you what. On Friday, I was writing a report from here for the Saturday Daily Telegraph about the convention. I had to attach to a carrier pigeon and send it to the newspaper and it made it into the paper the next day. So goot all the pigeons, but lives a guard. Did you have any business impact on that real impact terms?
Speaker 4: I do crisis communications as part of the biggest sort of business. How did you continuity planning?
Speaker 1: How did you rate their communications?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: The communications response was really really slow, But look, I had somebody who works very closely in the business continuity side, and his phone was ringing off the hook from about three o'clock Friday afternoon. We were doing calls throughout the night and he had a really interesting point in conversations with him. He said, to achieve efficiency, businesses have become so reliant on technology, and when you go in there and you do sort of a crisis assessment or a risk assessment on these businesses, many of them would have known how reliant they are on the technology and if it goes down, but hadn't put in places workarounds. And a big problem they had was you wake up once this had happened, and it was like being back saying in the nineteen seventies. So everything you've outsourced to technology now you have to go back to saying using cash, trying to alleger to keep a record of what's happening in your accounts, or having people there to actually do things and to achieve great bottom dollar results. They've got rid of a lot of people, so when technology fails you and you need people to actually complete a workaround task manually, you don't happen there. So that was a big problem that businesses were facing.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, the thing that really worried me about if there was a sorry, did you want to jump in there, Christy.
Speaker 3: I was just going to say about eight or nine years ago when this happened at Quantes and we found that we did have to search the twenty five thousand strong staff bas and find out who had the skills to do manual check in, who was trained in that from the seventies and the agies in the early nineties, and there was a team of about twenty people who had to go up and down the lines and manually check people in. But that was all we had in a workforce of about twenty five thousand. So, yeah, Lisa's entirely correct. Were outsourced people, retire people with irrelevant skills that are required when technology goes down aren't always there.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, and it's not going to surprise anybody watching. I don't think we'll surprise you too that when it comes to airline tickets, I much preferred the old ones where you ripped off each stub, you know, and for each segment of the flight that you got. And also when it comes to credit cards, you cannot hack the machine that goes shunk shunk and takes an imprint of the card. So if we just brought back all that stuff, we'd be fine. But on a serious note, though, you know, there were people who were talking about this. Security experts, you know, strategic experts, defense experts, who say that, well, this was a failure of software and it was innocent. But at the same time, you know, this sort of thing where systems go down and start to go down. That looked to a lot of people like what it might look like a prelude to a foreign actor, Doug, I say, China. But yeah, China, you know, to take Australia offline if it was doing something else, you know in the specific like you know, around Taiwan or something like that. And one the story here that really struck me is that we are also dependent on all of these Chinese made cameras, hundreds of thousands of them, manufactured by companies linked to the Chinese government. Now I have reported on this, Other people are reporting on these things, looking at monitoring public spaces across Australia. I mean, Lisa, god On, surely we've got to start getting these things, these spywaars. You've got literally Chinese spy hardware potentially in our public buildings, in our public places, god knows what private space is. We have to have an audit, We have to start making this stuff for ourselves, right well, alarm.
Speaker 4: Lely, we were talking about hundreds could get with four or five hundred and six hundred cameras at the time where we were talking about government department, government buildings and defense. The projection now is that it could be forget tens of thousands or high of thousand, so it could be a million or more of these cameras. No one really knows, and that's what's frightening, Like with all of these things, it's what we don't know. So if it was important enough to get them out of government buildings and defense, it's important enough to do a review and know exactly where these cameras are and what risk we face as far as you're being tracked in our information being shared with who knows who like, what organizations is it being passed to, And again it comes down to do personal security. When there's a crime, we are more than happy for police to be able to go in there and door knock neighbors. And in Queensland with the youth crime problem, right now it's a common occurrence for police to go around and door knock homes to gather that surveillance footage to try to track down who's responsible. But it's when you're walking through parks, it's when you're walking down the street, it's when you're on the roads that that's where we're all being exposed.
Speaker 1: It's really his big brother and Christy. It just seems to be many years ago, there was a story that went around there at the Pentagogue they stopped ordering late night pizzas from the same doma of those because people realize that when a huge order of pizzas came in for the Pentagon, there were going to be big headlines the next day because something was going on. These sorts of cameras you could piece together an awful lot of stuff about what's going on, and with facial recognition, you know what policy people, politicians, bureaucrats are doing. It seems to me like there's a huge opening here.
Speaker 3: Am I being paranoidh or are they just out to get you?
Speaker 1: Look?
Speaker 3: I think that it is certainly it is certainly a risk. As Lisa said, we have got no knowledge, there's no system, there's no data base, sim place to determine where these cameras are collecting data from. It would be a momentous task for all state federal government departments and agencies and corporations and community not for profit to come together to tell a central source where these cameras are purchased from and where the data is going to. And we just don't know. So I think you're not paranoid, and you are. You know, we're raising really good points here. We don't know. It's almost got too big for us to have an overside of it.
Speaker 1: Well, Lisa God Christopher Sweet, you've been a fantastic sender that panel. Before I let you go, I want to get your big bold prediction for the week, Lisa Goddard, Let's start with you.
Speaker 4: I don't think the head of the Secret Service in the US will see the week out, especially after Monday's evidence that she has to give. I think the game will be up for her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would hope.
Speaker 3: So, Christy, something's got to give here in Victoria with the CFM, EU and the Victorian government, James, something has got to give.
Speaker 1: Well's that sounds like there's a lot of prediction in that one line there. We're just gonna have to leave it at that. CHRISTI mcsweety lesa goddard. Thank you so much for your time. Been a lot of fun. Now, do not go anywhere because after the break, just sit a Price, see you then, Welcome back to the program. James Morrow filling in for Paul on Paul Murray Live for just one more night only. Paul's back with you tomorrow. But I got a special treat for you here. I'm really looking forward to this. None other than Shadow Indigenous Affairs Minister just sent a Nampa Jippa Price, and she's got some exciting news to tell us all about. She's writing a book written by Price and co author Sue Smithis. The memoir will be titled Matters of the Heart, and she's gonna tell us the story of her upbringing in the Northern Territory, the tragedies she has endured, and documenting her meteoric rise from disadvantage to become one of Austreya's most significant politicians. Now. The book's going to be published by Harpercarler's Publishing and will be released in February twenty twenty five. Just sent to Welcome to the program. Tell us what made you want to put down your thoughts in a book. We see you here on sky, we read you in the papers, but you wanted to do something with a bigger tell us about it.
Speaker 6: I know, crazy, right. Well, Look, you know, since I've been in the public I have had such an incredible amount of support from Australians right around the country, and a lot of people have I think one of the most asked questions is tell me a little bit more about yourself. I can't respond to every time somebody has said that to me, you know, online, But I guess I wanted to share a bit of the personal side of who I am to Australians. I guess to understand also why I'm so passionate about some of the issues that I have certainly advocated for over the years, and you know, for readers to get a bit of a glimpse into my childhood and my family, my wonderful kids and husband as well. And I thought, you know, it's probably about time I did something like this.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, and look, I think we're all looking forward to reading this when it comes out next February. But just tease us a little bit, tell us a little bit about you know, we know your positions. We know that you are a strong, strong believer in people helping themselves, in not being dependent on the government, in finding their own way and being enabled to do that by the government rather than being made dependent on the government. Are there experiences from your childhood, from your biography that you can tell us, you know, connect you to the positions that you would later go on to develop and advocate for in the in the public sphere.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, certainly I've been I'm survivor of DV. My mother's a survivor of DV. I think there's nothing more empowering for an individual when you can overcome those really difficult challenges in your life to stand on your own two feet. You know, A really significant point, you know, which might not mean much to others, but on a personal level, there was a period of time where I was a single mother of three little boys, and when I had the opportunity to work in a job that gave got me away from a dependency on parenting payment and I could pay my own bills. It's just those little things, those little achievements in fact, that you go, wow, you know, that's actually quite It's that freedom and empowerment through little things like that in your life. You know, it's overcoming big challenges and knowing the closest ones to you, your loved ones, the way that they also ride those challenges you as well, and just it's just I think an incredible It's been an incredible experience of looking back over my childhood as well, and you know, moments of my childhood that just sort of I go, yeah, that's right. I was a real little bush kid, you know, I grew up in a swag and I spent a lot of time at bush and in communities and that was sort of normal for me. And you know to nowadays being a politician, and when you're a politician you spend a lot of time pounding pavement and cities and in Canberra and sort of that contrast between that life in the bush and to life now. But also I think relationships between human beings and when you create understanding, there's a real richness that comes from that and a depth where I think we can we can find a way forward to overcome really difficult situations when we create understanding between human beings. I think they're the important elements of it for me, and it's been a real Yeah, it's been a real journey so far.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I mean one of the things I was sort of struck by here is just when you were just talking about this and you said, you know that when you were going through a very difficult time, and it was those sort of small steps of slowly empowering yourself. And then you know, obviously look at where you've come, and I guess they're parallels to the situation for bety indigenous communities and the NT and elsewhere where. People you know, look at this as a this seems like such a big problem, how do you solve it? But I guess the thing is what you're saying is and you can apply this in everybody's lives. If you've got a big problem, you start by making the small steps. Is that is that kind of the point of this book?
Speaker 6: Absolutely? I think throughout my life I have had a go at just about anything to understand what it is I do love and appreciate doing in life and what I'm capable of as well. And I think that's the most important part is anybody is capable. But it's not until you experience, as you said, those small steps do you realize your own capabilities, and once you've done something, you sort of look behind you go, wow, I've got this far. I'm going to keep going. I'm going to keep pushing forward. And you know, I think for a lot of Indigenous Australians, we're often told through this woke sort of culture, this idea that we're victims, and we don't. You know, it's not our responsibility to take those steps forward for ourselves, and that's totally removing somebody's agency. You know. I talk a lot about some of the adversity that me and my family members have overcome over the years, but a lot of my family have never viewed themselves as victims either. That victim mentality was never something that was passed down, certainly to my grandparents who lived you know, who first saw white people in their early adolescence, they just went, it's life. It's tough, but we've got to move forward.
Speaker 1: Interested. I mean, I don't want to make it a political thing, but it does. You know, you have spoken about this. Do you think there is an issue where labor particularly encourages this sort of dependency and passivity and with indigenous and average or strands that you are connected with and talk to and know you would you know deeply, is there a rebellion against some of that idea that people want to do something more and stop being told ah your victims all the time.
Speaker 6: Yes, I certainly feel there is a shift taking place, you know. For I think growing up, you know, our family were labor voting family, and when we thought, well, actually, you know, my mother had been appointed the chair of the Indigenous Affairs Advisory Committee for a former territory labor government and she found that it was just a token group and if she wanted to be part of the change, she wanted to put her hand up herself to implement that change. And that's what she did. And that's what we've always done. I've gone, well, no, we want we want an environment. And this is why I guess we've become conservatives because you can debate, you can have different opinions, and you can have respectful debate amongst yourselves, amongst ourselves, but ultimately we're all looking for a path forward instead of you know, blaming something and maintaining a sort of stagnant situation where nobody gets to shift. And you know, that's been a huge part of my journey absolutely, and my family's.
Speaker 1: Journey, Shadow Indigenous Affairs Minister, just sit to Price. We're going to have to leave it there. The book is going to be called Memoirs. Sorry, Matters from the Heart, Matters Over the Heart. It'll be out next February. I read probably book a week or two and I cannot wait to read this one. Thank you so much for coming on Pulmary Live. Now, after the break, we're going to go stateside with Adam B. Coleman from Wrong to Speak Publishing. More on the craziness with Buyer, to the Secret Service, Trump, everything stick around after break. Welcome back to the program. James Borrow, he'll here filling in for Paul on Paul Murray Live. Now, let's cross to the States with my very special guest, Adam B. Colvid from Wrong Speak Publishing. Adam I said earlier in the show that these scenes in Rohome with Beach Delaware must seem a bit like the death of Stalin, when everybody's kind of running around and trying to figure out who to go with and who the next leader is going to be and everything like that. We've got all these reports Biden is still recovering from alleged COVID and reportedly seething in his beach house as all the Democrats try and figure out what is going to happen next Adam, the calls grow louder, but it seems like he is set to dig his heels in. I know what I think, But what's your take? Is he gonna stay or is he gonna go?
Speaker 5: So right now, we're at a point where we're just doing speculation, you know, we're predicting the future. I'm of I guess the growing unpopular belief that Biden is not going anywhere.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you. This is exactly what I think.
Speaker 5: Right there are a lot of people. One thing I noticed is that every time there's a new speculation that someone is pushing him in a particular direction, here comes him or someone and within his camp refuting it. And then there was a report that came out that said he's open to considering it, and then the very next day refuting it. So I'm to me that that sounds like I don't know if he's like really willing to go for this. I think a lot of it is reacting, obviously to the terrible debate that happened. But the reality is that Joe Biden has been this way for a long time, and I think if he waits long enough, the reality was set in it's either Joe Biden or Donald Trump. And for the Democrat donors who are upset and think somebody else should go in there and there should be this fantasy, you know, three to four month election for whoever comes in in his place and they'll just automatically win. The reality was set in that Joe Biden is actually the best person to beat Donald Trump because most of America would have to be convinced that this new person has better policy and stuff, or even just the people who barely pay attention to politics have to know that there's a new person who is running for office, and that takes time.
Speaker 1: Well, how is it that you know we've got and you mentioned the donors, but also the media. So we're seeing this big rebellion against Joe Biden and all of this. Now, all of these people knew, they all knew that he had a problem to some degree or another, and it's all coming out. How much is this rebellion and I think it's a very anti democratic rebellion against Joe Biden. How much of that has to do with the fact that all of these guys and ladies were made to look like idiots after that debate, when suddenly the thing that they were covering up for they couldn't hide anymore.
Speaker 5: I think that's I think that's partly behind what the Democratic Party is experiencing. When I say Democratic Party, I'm losing that loosely referencing the media.
Speaker 1: Of course, but.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I think it's it's much of the same vein. You have the donors, you have the believers in the Democratic Party, much of them infuse into the media as well. You have everybody all at the same time pushing for this man to be pushed out of office or actually pushed out of for for re election. So I think it's the same. It's the same motivations, it's the same feeling they're realizing one that everybody sees what we've been saying, right, it's not right wing propaganda. We've been claiming that he's falling apart because he's been literally falling all over the place, which is abnormal. He's been stuttering and stammering. He doesn't have a speech impediment that he's always had his entire life. And listen to this man for years speak. He never stuttered, you know whatsoever. So the lies are easy to show that this is all true. And I think that the media is, yes, feeling embarrassed, but also realizing that everyone sees behind the veil, and the easiest thing for them to do is try to push Joe Biden out and put somebody else in who's younger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean sure, but they don't have any sort of succession plan. And the thing too is if they also don't have an answer if they have him step down. I'd love to hear your thought on this. If they have him step down, the great problem is how do they say, oh, but he's okay to be president, he just can't run for office. I mean, how does that work?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: Well, because they're playing off a technicality of they don't think he's capable of beating Donald Trump, right, but they're not saying that he incapable of running running the country, right. So those are two separate things. Donald Trump looks more mentally capable than Joe Biden does, but they're not claiming that Joe Biden is incapable of running the country. So it's that kind of him and Hall in between the two.
Speaker 1: I mean, what a state for America to be is that you've got a president who's basically running the show on a technicality. But there was a crazy column in The Hill Newspaper, which is basically the trade paper for Capitol Hill. A columnist has written that, and I want your quick reaction to this, Adam B. Coleman, that Hillary Clinton, oh my god, would actually be the best solution to this problem. Please tell me that this is not.
Speaker 5: So. I'm just hoping that this is one of those things where someone is just trying to go outside the box and get some attention, because I don't know. Once twice didn't work out for her, and so I I don't think this is the move. Honestly, like I'm saying before, I don't think anybody can come in and run a campaign. You know that we run campaigns for over a year for a presidential race. There's a reason for it. It takes a long time. You got to raise money, you have to let people know what's going on, what's your policy, all these things. And the idea that someone's just going to come in and automatically get support in three to four months as the executive of the country I think is dumbfoundingly foolish. So I don't think anybody who's worth actually being the President of the United States would want to take this role.
Speaker 1: Indeed, look I think you're right. It's a tough job. Who would want to Addam being coin for wrong publishing. Thank you so much for joining me tonight, and thank you so much for letting me sit in the man cave Paul Murley. Back with you tomorrow night here at nine on Sky. See you soon.