Speaker 1: Peter Kredlin live on Sky News Australia.
Speaker 2: Good evening and welcome to the show. I'm Jamie Rodgers filling in for Peter Kredline. Here's what's coming up tonight on the program.
Speaker 3: A blow for mortgage holders.
Speaker 2: New forecasts suggests interest rate cuts may not arrive until well into next year. We'll examine why questions amounting over Victoria's bail laws after a teenager granted bail just four days before allegedly killing a fifteen year old schoolboy outside a Melbourne hospital. Residents in the Northern Tablelands in New South Wales are calling for an urgent review of Australia's current energy policies. So what's been the response from the government. And just as Australia and Fiji sign up to a new defense alliance, a Chinese submarine has fired a test nuclear capable missile in the South Pacific.
Speaker 4: We were informed by China today of its intention to do this test. This is a long range missile test and we are very concerned about any actions which undermine the stability, the peace and security of the Pacific.
Speaker 2: But first, what is more dangerous for Australia. A Prime Minister that's arrogant, or a prime minister that's out of touch. Arrogance has a habit of revealing itself, and this weekend Anthony Alberanezi didn't just reveal it, he celebrated it. Speaking to the labor faithful, the Prime Minister dismissed criticism of his latest tax changes.
Speaker 5: Pulling for reform is easy.
Speaker 6: Delivering it that's hard.
Speaker 2: The Prime Minister then went on to insult anyone who questioned the reforms.
Speaker 7: But if you put the entirely predictable and barely coherent noise from the usual suspects to one side.
Speaker 2: The usual suspects, who exactly is he talking about? Fintech founder Julian Fayard, who started the viral Albogetz forty seven percent meme, has said the questions surrounding the tax reforms have fallen on deaf ears. It's getting to that point where they have taken away every single pathway that Australians could have built wealth. The Prime Minister says, critics simply don't understand the reforms, but listen to who's criticizing them. The Business Council, the Council of Small Business Organizations, accountants, economists, they're practical concerns from the people who create jobs, and perhaps that's the real problem. Anthony Alberizi has spent virtually his entire working life inside politics. He's never had to work, worry about paying staff, never had to re mortgage the house to keep a business alive. Yet he arrogantly dismisses those who have as the usual suspects. Labor insists more than ninety percent of small businesses won't be affected. But when thousands of businesses tell you that they're worried, you don't insult them.
Speaker 3: You listen.
Speaker 2: The coalition claims small businesses tax bills could increase by fifty thousand dollars due to Labour's trust changes, which will impact discretionary funds with a minimum thirty percent tax. Opposition leader Angus Taylor said the modeling was evidence Labour was trying to punish the way small businesses have been set up for years. Labor is coming after the chippy, the builder, the plumber, and the family business that has worked hard, taken risks and done the right thing. This is not tax reform, it's an assault on aspiration. Labor sold these changes as a way to help first home buyers, But even people on the ground say that's not what's happening. Auctioneers, agents, brokers and economists are warning the market is being hit in the wrong places.
Speaker 8: We've got lots of first home buyers out there. I see them week to week when they're unsuccessful on purchasing at auction. The one thing that's so difficult for them is that they just keep getting beaten by investors. They just they have a certain amount of money to spend their capped and they're also very nervous.
Speaker 2: So if the policy was meant to make housing more affordable, the question is simple, where's the evidence that this is actually working? Because right now it looks less like housing reform and more like another tax grab dressed up as help for young Australians. Perhaps if the Prime Minister spent less time dismissing the people who build Australia's economy and more time listening to them, he'd understand why so many Australians feel they're working harder yet falling further behind. Because this wasn't just a tone deaf speech. It was a window into how this government sees aspiration, not something to encourage but something to tax.
Speaker 3: Forget.
Speaker 2: The political spin. Australia has become one of the worst performing developed economies for underlying inflation. Economists and our warning another rate rise is on the cards, and many believe cuts won't come until next year. Our underlying inflation rate, the measure the Reserve Bank actually watches, rose to three point six percent in May. And this matters because inflation it's not just a number. It's the reason your mortgage stays higher, your rents keep rising, and your weekly shop costs more. And it's the reason first home buyers who stretched themselves to get into the market are now facing negative equity.
Speaker 9: The thing is with negative equity, you know, I see a lot of commentators going, oh, well, it doesn't matter if you're you know, if you're not going to sell your property and you've bought, you know, it doesn't.
Speaker 1: Matter if you're negative equity.
Speaker 9: I mean, that's one of the dumbest comments you could ever say, because to go and buy a property for say a million dollars and then it goes down in value and you've got a ninety five percent loan, you're paying an exorbitant mortgage, and to say that that doesn't matter if you don't sell the property because you don't realize the loss, but you could have been renting the property for significantly cheaper. For people to come out and say, oh, it doesn't matter, you know they're in negative equity, I mean, it's just an idiotic statement in my opinion.
Speaker 2: And Louis Christopher from SQM Research said negative equity will have further flow on impacks in other areas.
Speaker 10: I regard that it's about the sick in worse financial situation for anyone short of bankruptcy. Negative equities awfal where you owe more on that property rather than what the property is actually worth. The issue will be that you will not be able to borrow money from anywhere else for any other purpose. You will be able to borrow money for a business while you're in negative equity. You will be able to borrow money for a car.
Speaker 2: And that's the human cost of getting policy wrong. The Treasurer says high inflation is because of COVID, Ukraine and the Middle East, but leading economists say our inflation problem is home growing. KPMG Chief economist Brendan Bryan said, with the benefit of hindsight, the RBA's three cash rate cuts last year were a mistake. There was a general misreading of what was happening in inflation in the first half of last year, on the expectation that inflation was going to come back down within the target range, and therefore the RBA took it foot off the break and started loosening monetary policy too early. So while other countries have done the hard work of getting inflation under control, Australia is still stuck because government keeps spending and pouring fuel on the fire. The federal spending is expected to reach twenty six point eight percent of GDP, the highest level ever Outside the pandemic government funded jobs. They continue to grow NDIS spending is continuing to surge, and all of that keeps demand in the economy higher.
Speaker 3: Than it otherwise would be.
Speaker 2: So while the IBA is trying to slow inflation with higher interest rates, governments are still spending. Inflation is not beaten, and for too many Australians the cost of living crisis is not ending. It's now a way of life. Well, let's head to Canberra now for tonight's political headlines. For Sky News political reporter Ruben Spargo.
Speaker 7: Good evening, China has fired a submarine launched ballistic missile fitted with a simulated warhead into the South Pacific Ocean. Beijing is describing the launch as a routine part of its military training, saying governments across the region were notified in advance.
Speaker 2: Australia has been clear with China that we regard this as destabilizing to the region.
Speaker 4: We are very concerned about any actions which undermine the stability the peace and security of the Pacific.
Speaker 7: Australia is learning of the misstyle test as Anthony Albernizi steps up diplomacy in Fiji. The country's two leaders today signed the Ocean of Peace Alliance. It's a new pact that includes mutual defense commitments if either nation comes under attack.
Speaker 6: The significance of this agreement cannot be underestimated, much for what it means for our two great nations.
Speaker 7: The federal government is working to prevent China from establishing a military foothold in the Pacific, move that appears to have drawn Beijing's displeasure. Auction clearance rates in Australia are falling below fifty percent for the ninth consecutive week. The trend follows a period of higher interest rates and Labour's controversial housing tax reforms. The government maintains its policies aimed at helping more first time buys enter the market.
Speaker 2: All right, let's jump into what's making news with our Monday night panels, Sky News contributor Kreli, Katz and Barnas and former Liberal MP Nicole Flint. Ladies, Welcome to you both. Gee, it was a train wreck. The Prime Minister has been forced into an apology over his comments regarding Kylie Minogue. His office they did issue a statement. Now a lot of this criticism here and look, I think rightly, so this is locker room talk from somebody who's meant to be leading the nation on the world stage. Carroly, what did you make of the comments?
Speaker 11: I think it's absolutely disgusting, certainly not prime ministerial, and you know he doesn't even have the guts to hold a press conference. As for a statement, it was a six words sentence. I mean, this is really bad. Where are all the labor feminists now? Or they're solent, aren't they? They care more about their political careers than anything else. So I also think it's incredibly disrespectful to his wife, Jody.
Speaker 3: He laughs it away.
Speaker 11: I mean we've had many mishaps by him. This wasn't a hot Mike moment. This was a considered thing that he actually did, and it's absolutely it's vomit worthy. I mean, you know, what's the use going to be? Now? What if it had been a liberal leader that had actually done this, they'd be calling for them to stand down. But no, he's off in Fiji doing whatever, you know, whatever he is.
Speaker 3: I mean, I know he's.
Speaker 11: Signing a defense pact, but you know, I've also got China that's just launched the missile. My message is do your job, Prime Minister, stop trying to do something like this. The other thing is he says he apologizes unequivocally. I haven't seen him apologize unequivocally for Bondai or for not actually wanting to hold a royal commission when all sides of politics were wanting it. I just think it's disgusting and absolutely degrading. And all those people that are saying, oh, it's just a bit of fun laughing off, No, this is not something that you can actually laugh off.
Speaker 3: This is just awful.
Speaker 2: Nicole Caroly does make a very good point in terms of if this was Angus Taylor that had said those comments, or a CEO within a business in the private sector, there would be calls for them to stand down or to be sacked. How do you think these conversations have gone behind closed doors in Canberra?
Speaker 12: Well, I think the question for the Australian people is if our Prime Minister is willing to make such derogatory and disrespectful statements about women and including his wife, in public, what is he saying behind closed doors about women's So if it was anyone else, if it was Angus Taylor, if it was a CEO, if it was imagine if it was, you know, the coach of a footy team, they would the media would rightly be calling for them to stand down. And I would be very interested to see whether we hear that from the likes of the ABC and the Fairfax Media and Channel nine. I doubt that we will. But you know, we know that the Prime Minister has double standards when it comes to the issue of women. I am better aware than most. I spent a long time when I was in Federal Parliament holding him to account for the fact that he claims to be on the side of women, but time and time again does not demonstrate that by his actions, and now he has exposed himself pardon the pun, for the entire nation to say. It's appalling and quite frankly, I think he should quit, and also Carole.
Speaker 2: I'll move on from this in a moment, but just in his reference to those melons when he was talking about the Japanese Prime minister gave them to him as a gift, and some of those melons, apparently one of them is reportedly cost around twenty five thousand dollars and the Japanese ministry would have gone to a lot of trouble to select those melons for him, and then he was mocking them on this podcast for bringing them into the country as the gift.
Speaker 3: What did you think of that?
Speaker 11: Well, that's disgraceful as well. I think that he referred to Pamela Anderson from her Baywatch days. But the thing that I'm fed up about is he never ever takes responsibility. He should have been holding a press conference with this, not with the safety overseas and a six word as I said, it was a six word statement saying I apologize unequivocally.
Speaker 3: It's just not good.
Speaker 11: I mean, we've had his comments in the past when he's been rankled, you know about Turette's now I've had it about melons. He also used the podcaster Abby Chapfield. That hasn't gone down too well. Don't need to go into that either. But this is just not good. It's no point trying to inadverted commas be trend.
Speaker 3: That's not your job.
Speaker 11: Your job is Prime Minister to actually lead this nation. His comments have gone worldwide, worldwide. It's not an image that we actually want of Australia. And as I said, convenient that China's now launched the missile I would have said, very predictable. His needs to keep his eye on the ball and keep the best interests of Australian front and foremost he's not doing that. It's an insult and an embarrassment.
Speaker 2: And Nicole, what about this news today where Australia has become an international inflation outlier. Economists are arguing that the RBA has not done enough to bring price pressures under control or offset the inflationary effect of elevated state and federal government spending. Who should be accountable here is that the RBA or Jim Chalmers. It doesn't seem like anyone is really taking account for the inflation problem.
Speaker 3: That we're having.
Speaker 12: Look, the IBA have limited means to bread down inflation, and that really is by putting interest rates up. I think we could have seen stronger language and warnings from the RBA along the way, but they have very limited means to impact inflation. This is almost purely the responsibility of the alban Easy Labor government and treasure at Jim Charmers. They're spending is completely out of control. It's been out of control for two terms now, and they are responsible to the Australian people for the economic trauma that households and businesses are going through. So households and businesses are raining in their spending and the government is not doing that, which is keeping rates high but also causing more pain, more economic and financial pain to Australian tax payers.
Speaker 2: And Caroly I just want to look at the rates fear. At the moment, economists are now predicting that we are expected to see another rate rise and this does come at a time where auction clearance rates are continuing to go backwards. What does this say about the current state of our property market? But also for how tough Australians are already doing it. They're going to face another rate rise.
Speaker 11: Well, it just shows I can speak for here in Victoria, there's just a loss of confidence in the market. So many properties are just passed in for auction clearance rates. It shows that people do not trust this government. We know since the worst budget ever handed down in Australian history. People are worried because they're being told one thing by Anthony Albanesian Jim Charmers. They're believing that and then they're being gas lit and the rules and the goalposts.
Speaker 3: Are completely being changed.
Speaker 11: And it's not good because it has a lot of flow on effects throughout the property market. And yes, of course we want people to be able to afford houses and afford them, but it just seems that people that maybe landlords are just being penalized for putting a roof over people's heads. We also know that the changes in the budget are not going to increase supply or help more Australians get get into a home, and it's just not good. I think it's just a lack of confidence. People are just wondering what next, what are they going to be lied to about next? And so, as I said in Melbourne, it's the fourth week in a row since the budget where auction clearance rates are just not what they were and people are not wanting to invest in this state and it has a ripple effect throughout Australia, throughout the economy, throughout families, businesses, and it's just not good.
Speaker 2: And Nicole, Before I let you go, I do want to get your thoughts on an interesting one that's come out of Sydney, and this does follow the recent shark attacks. A company is now working on a trial that could see oversized drones deployed as a new line of defense for not just ocean surveillance but also bushfires. Now there's obviously been a lot of talk about what's going to prevent attacks. What do you think about technology like this?
Speaker 12: I welcome any new technology that might be able to help keep people safe in our oceans. There is nothing more Aussie than going to the beach, especially here in Sydney with such iconic beautiful beaches. But I don't want to see governments, state or federal using this as an excuse to not implement the other very important mitigation measures, which include nets, drum lines, and we need to see some culling. It is just absolutely shocking that we've seen and distressing that we've seen the recent tragic attack here in Sydney and it's inexcusable. Governments have one real job, which is to keep people safe. And great if drones can increase that, but we need to be implementing the full range of measures to protect human lives.
Speaker 2: Well, that's definitely a topic we're going to have to pick up and continue on speaking next time. That Carolene and Nicole, thank you so much for your time this evening after the break, another weekend in Melbourne, another teenage death and a family left to pick up the pieces at another fire bombing in Melbourne. As the tobacco wars continue, we speak to the man who hopes to bring this madness to an end. Next welcome back up soon, how the community fight against a renewable energy project in New England has become a national movement. But now to the anger over the latest decision by a magistrate to grant bail to a sixteen year old who just four days later allegedly stabbed a fifteen year old schoolboy to death outside of Melbourne Hospital. Three teenagers have now been charged over this alleged murder of Darwesh Muhammad, a case that has reignited scrutiny of Victoria's bail laws, youth crime and whether repeat young offenders are being kept off the streets before tragedy strikes. Joining me now is Victoria's shadow Police Minister, Brad Batten.
Speaker 3: Brad, it's great.
Speaker 2: To see you, but at the same time, it's not because we're here again.
Speaker 1: This is when we're getting to that stage.
Speaker 13: We've seen this now nearly thirty times that young men in Victoria, predominantly men, have been stabbed and killed because of the knife crime here in our state. And too often we hear exactly what you just said where it was someone who was on bail who's actually allegedly.
Speaker 1: Committed the crime.
Speaker 13: But we've seen it where they have committed the crime in the past or they get off with no sentencing.
Speaker 1: So we need to see changes here in the state.
Speaker 13: And I actually did a video today and just spoke about this, and maybe it's in someone's name now so people don't forget it and actually say we need something like Darwish's law so we ensure that we can protect young men in our streets and stop this crime crisis.
Speaker 2: You're spot on, they need I think correct Darwish's law is probably one that can really stick and have some impact.
Speaker 3: I watched the family.
Speaker 2: They had an interview with the Herald's son and it was just devastating listening to them speaking about the loss of their son. Now the Premier, just Into Alan did contact the family directly over the weekend. But these families don't need compassion, Brad, it is it's action and just Into Alan says that policy changes like adult time adult crime are making a difference.
Speaker 3: But is that really true.
Speaker 13: No, And as I said, I do I give credit where credit is due. It'd be tough to go and visit the family after that, so credits the premier for doing that and going and listening. But I think it's become too often where we've gone and heard the story of the government going and listening and then nothing happening after. And I think it's really important when the governments say they've got adult crime for adult time or for violent crime, we know that that's actually just not real. They've got so many parts of that that are missing, like serious assaults arson. Yes, some of these serious knife crime ones would be in there, but we also know that when they get to the courts, no one knows what to do with these kids. They'll end up with the same sentencing no matter what court they're in because the government haven't changed the rules to say that there's got to be some extra penalty. Send a very clear message to the courts that as a government, as a parliament, we won't tolerate it, because the community is not tolerating the week sentencing anymore.
Speaker 2: So let's go to November, hopefully the Liberals are elected and you become police Minister. What would be your first act? How do you give Victorians the assurance that this kind of violent crime is going to come to an end.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 13: The first thing we're going to do is obviously start the position of recruiting extra police because we need more police on the beat asap. But we'll bring in Jack's Law, which is actually after a young man, Jack Beasley, was killed up in Queensland, and that law to ensure giving police the powers to go out and search for weapons using those little handheld ones, so they've got stop and search powers.
Speaker 1: We want to make sure they're out on the.
Speaker 13: Streets as soon as possible because we believe right now is the time to get the knives off the street.
Speaker 1: We'll have break bail, face jail.
Speaker 13: And we see that the Queensland government starting to bring this in now as well, where if young offenders breach their bail that they can't continuously get out like we're seeing here in Victoria up to fifty times. That would be the biggest change we see to ensure that these young offenders aren't getting back out again and the consequences are clear that will stop them committing these crimes. And then we can put other things like training, prevention and also things like boot cams, etc. To ensure that these kids get their message it's not okay and Brad.
Speaker 2: Another issue that's really happening in Victoria is that the tobacco shops that are getting set alight, and another one happened over the weekend, this time in Richmond were a car rammed into the store and then it was set alight. What is the government doing to I suppose offer assurances to legitimate business operators that are now living in fear of their livelihoods. I was reading some quotes from some of the businesses surrounding that tobacco shop just saying we now have to close our doors for months.
Speaker 3: How is that okay?
Speaker 13: It's not, and we've seen it with ten businesses around this one have also been damaged and destroyed where they've locked up their doors to go home for the weekend, come in and they've got no job.
Speaker 1: They probably have to sack staff.
Speaker 13: The impact of this is huge, and we've already seen it with eighty proof that the factory burnt down and the amount of families impacted on that. And the problem with that one was the two kids that or the three kids did that. They end up walking away with good behavior bonds effectively for twelve months and no convictions, and went out and assaulted an off duty police officer. So we've got to get clear consequences and arson has to be an adult crime at all time. We need the extra police resources so we can control around those organizations. And it's not just the tobacco stores. We've started to see it go through the hospitality and the bars. And this isn't like people are trying to think it's one club versus the other.
Speaker 1: This is something which is international.
Speaker 13: We have to really get on top of this here in the state, and the best way we can do it here is to ensure that we take the soldiers off the street effectively and ensure the kids that commit these crimes are penalized so they can't go back out with a jerry can and burn down another business and destroy another family's life.
Speaker 2: Brad, Before I let you go, I do want to look ahead to November. We're only four months away now until the state election, and recent polling did show that One Nation was ahead, which I found quite surprising, especially because there's no leader in Victoria, no policies, and hardly any candidates that I'm aware of or have been announced yet.
Speaker 3: But what are you hearing on the ground.
Speaker 2: What's the feedback from within your community and other people that you're speaking to on the streets about their support of Jess Wilson or if they're going to be heading more towards One Nation.
Speaker 13: I've been obviously, I'm out in the growth corridors out here in Berrick and I've been traveling around the West and the North, particularly in the growth areas, and it's been quite interesting.
Speaker 1: I totally understand the frustration, and I.
Speaker 13: Get it and I feel for people, but we know that if people don't vote for Liberals and Nationals at this election, that's when you'll end up with either a hung Parliament or labor back in again. So when we explain it to them that we're putting policies forward, whether it's community safety, improving the economy with our ten point plan for the economy here in Victoria, to reduce debt longer term, reduce taxes, and ensuring that we've got our frontline guarantee for education, hospital, education and health, to ensure the staff stay on the beat out in the front line and we'll protect those and guarantee it. Then they start to understand that we do have a genuine plan that we can deliver. And when people meet Jess, I'll tell you, like myself, you know, they love her. They just think she's very open, she's honest, she's listening, and I think she's done something that not many leaders have.
Speaker 1: Done in the past.
Speaker 13: She's been very honest with the community one hundred percent to ensure that people are aware of what she needs to do to ensure we can get Victoria back to the best state it can be the one we're proud of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Jess Wilson is doing a very good job. You've got four months to go, Brad Baton. I appreciate your time tonight. All right, coming out, we crack open the latest economic news and what all the dire predictions really mean for every day Australian's trying to make ends meet. We get some expert analysis. Next, welcome back. It's great to have your company coming up. The community backlash against Labour's reckless renewables. But first we touched on the state of the economy earlier, but I just wanted to dive back into some of the forecasts and predictions, particularly around inflation and what it means now that some experts are predicting mortgage holders won't get a reprieve until well into next year. Joining us now to pull it all apart is independent economics is Saul Slake And Saul, let's just start first with inflation. What do you make of the reports that came out today that Australia has become an outlier when it does come to the efforts of bringing down inflation.
Speaker 1: We so correct.
Speaker 15: The OECD has shown that Australia has had the highest or inflationery of all but one of the thirty eight members of the OECD.
Speaker 1: And that partly reflects.
Speaker 15: The conscious choice that the Reserve Bank made initially under former Governor for Low to tolerate inflation being a bit higher for a bit longer than our peers in countries like the US, the UK, Canada and New Zealand in order so for Low said at the time to hang on to the gains that have been made in reducing unemployment during and immediately after COVID. So the Reserve Bank didn't raise its interest rate as much as its counterparts in Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the US, all of whom took their cash rate up to five percent or more compared with the peak here of four point three five percent. And the pay off for that, I suppose, if you want to put it that way, is that Australia didn't have a recession as New Zealand, Canada and the UK did, and unemployment rate rose by a lot less in Australia than it did in New Zealand and Canada in particular, but also the UK, and we didn't have to run big budget deficits in order to achieve that outcome as the US did. But the mistake the Reserve Bank made, and it's easy to say this with hindsight, is that they come infestrates three times over the first eight months of last year, only to find that inflation rebounded again and thus they had to take back in the first four months of this year all of the interest rate reductions that they gave last year, and I think that will make the Reserve Bank very very cautious about reducing interest rates anytime soon, because to make the same mistake twice would be very damaging to their credibility.
Speaker 2: Well, let's look into the interest rates, because there's now predictions that we may in fact get another rate rise and potentially a few more.
Speaker 3: Is that what you're also predicting as well? Is this something that we have to have?
Speaker 16: Well?
Speaker 15: I think the odds are that there will be an a fourth increase in intrast rates at the Reserve Bank Board's next meeting in mid August, although that does depend importantly on what the June quarter consumer price index tells us when that's released on the last Wednesday of this month. But I think it is likely that the Reserve Bank will increase the gattorate to four point six percent. I suspect that will be it, but it may well be not until the middle of twenty twenty seven before the Reserve Bank feels sufficiently confident to start unwinding those interest rate increases. It will not want to repeat the mistake it made with a benefit of huns last year by cutting rates prematurely, only to see inflation rebound again.
Speaker 2: So there's been a lot of criticism of the federal tax reforms that were announced in May, but I'm interested in your thoughts about the balance between federal and state policies and whether or not we need to strike a better balance between the two in order to ease the pressure that we're seeing within the economy.
Speaker 15: Both federal and state governments of both political persuasions bear a heavy responsibility for the deterioration in housing affordability and the declines in home ownership rates that have really been going on since the mid nineteen sixties. And in particular, i'd say that federal governments of both political persuasions have been guilty of needlessly inflating demand by coming up with schemes that allow a small number of Australians to pay more for housing than they otherwise would be at first time own a grant source, stamped in concessions, generous tax breaks for property investors, shared equity schemes, and mortgage deposit guarantee schemes all have in common that they allow people to pay more for housing than they be able to otherwise, and in a supply constrained market, that's what they end up doing. Whilst state and local government have, particularly in New South Wales, but across most of Australia, done things that have had the effect of reducing or restraining growth in the supply of housing and adding to the cost of providing new housing. And in this sense, the price of housing is a bit like a price of bananas or any other commodity. It's determined by the interaction of supply and demand. And if governments do things that needlessly inflate demand, and governments do things that restrain supply, the inevitable result will be increases in house prices and declines in housing in home ownership rates. And that's what we've seen since the peak in nineteen sixty six. And while obviously, as you say, there have been some significant criticisms of measures in the budget, I think that the core measure in the budget will reduce the demand for established properties from investors. And remember that eighty percent of the money that's lent to investors to purchase properties goes to the purchase of housing. We've already got established housing that will result in lower house prices. Part of the reason the government is having trouble selling that politically, apart from the fact that it obviously represents a broken promise, is that they can't bring themselves to say that what their policies will result in is cheaper housing, even though that's actually the solution to the problem that housing has become too expensive for most Australians to be able to afford to buy it.
Speaker 2: Also, Leslake, I really appreciate your insights tonight. Well, let's go now to the Prime Minister's Fiji visit and of course that defense stal that has been struck today. It's a mutual defense treaty the government says will significantly deepen security ties in the Pacific. But against this backdrop news today that China has tested a nuclear capable missile in the South Pacific. Here to discuss it is Strategic Analysis Australia Director Michael Schubridge. Michael, welcome, Let's just start off with the worrying news about China's nuclear testing today. What was it that you were thinking when you first heard about the testing, but more so the lack of I suppose warning that China gave countries like Australia.
Speaker 6: Well, Jimmy, I was thinking back to the February twenty twenty five live firing exercise that the Chinese Navy Task Force conducted between Australia and New Zealand that risked the lives of civilians on airliners flying between Australia and New Zealand. And I was also thinking about the World Cup and thinking, China has just scored a massive own goal. If anyone before this missile test was in any doubt about China's aggression and growing military rich, Beijing told us, well, we're here, we're aggressive, and we're in your backyard.
Speaker 2: So what do you make of the timing of this ctyle test. I will get to the signing of the defense treaty in a moment, but surely that doesn't go unnoticed that right at the time that Australia is signing a defense deal with Fiji shortly after is when China is launching this test missile.
Speaker 3: What do you make of that?
Speaker 6: You're right, Jennie, and the Chinese give notice about the same time as the security agreement between Fiji and Australia is being signed, they do this intercontinental nuclear capable missile test right into the South Pacific, obviously to make a point that they don't care who signs what pieces of paper. Their military reach and power is growing and they're aggressive. The only person that seems to think this missile firing and the Australia Fiji agreement are not linked is Richard Miles.
Speaker 3: So what do you make of that?
Speaker 2: How should the government now be handling this situation with China? Because Penny Wong has come out an obviously condemned the action, and as did Richard Miles, But what should they be doing as the next step? Do we need to be showing some sort of defense strength because I can't help but also think Michael, at the same time, we're in the process of selling some of our defense sites at a time where we probably need to be securing that for our national security.
Speaker 6: Well, wouldn't it be great if our major northern port, the Port of Darwin, wasn't in Chinese ownership at the moment. That would be a good thing for the government to change. And the Prime Minister has said repeatedly is going to do that. The only thing he hasn't done is act on his words that would be good. I think it'd also be great to hear the Prime Minister admit he doesn't have a stabilized relationship with China. Australia and China are not in a stable relationship because China is on an aggressive push into our region with its naked military power, So getting some honesty from the government about the state of the relationship would be a good starting point.
Speaker 2: All right, let's talk about this Defense pact that happened today. It's a new alliance between Fiji and Australia. It does seem as though these two have merged together as a way to be able to get.
Speaker 3: Off the China influence.
Speaker 2: Tell us about what you think of this deal, but what it's going to be as an impact for Australia.
Speaker 6: I think the deal is a very positive thing for both Fiji and Australia. It's pretty clear about the fact that there are growing security challenges that are pushing their way into the South Pacific, and of course the primary thread is from China. So it's great to have Fiji in Australia have a meeting of the minds on that. But the biggest thing to me about this agreement is it's open to other South Pacific countries to join, So it's the start of a bigger collective security approach in the region in the face of some pretty clear Chinese aggression.
Speaker 2: Michael, can we turn our attention now to the war in Ukraine with Vladimir Putin at the moment where Russia seems to be under significant stress in terms of fuel shortages in the country, and now Putin is starting to say that they're in a bit of trouble. What do you make about the landscape of what's happening over there at the moment.
Speaker 6: Well, Ukraine has really changed the war because it's built pretty impressive strike capabilities, not just in and around the front lines and a bit deeper against Russian logistics and supply chains, but also right into the heart of Russia and all of the oil refineries and other energy infrastructure. And that's causing enormous pain to Russia. It's bringing the war home to Russia. So Putin is in a real fix at the moment because he told his people this wasn't even a war, it was all going to be over in a very short period of time, and now the war is coming home. So this is the time to increase the political pressure on Putin and also to make sure we support Ukraine as they really turn the tables on Russia.
Speaker 2: And Michael, before I let you go, just tell us about the significance of drones within warfare that we're seeing now and why it's so important that Australia is starting to invest in more of drone capability.
Speaker 6: Well, Australia is really doing far less than it should on drone capability. It's placed its bets on expensive, small numbers of drones like ghost Bat and ghost Shuk. But the Ukrainian War, the Ukrainians have shown long range drone strikes of thousands of kilometers and our routine for them that's absolutely relevant to us here in our part of the world. And obviously the Iran War showed the power of missiles and drones to close global waterways in the face of the global superpower. So Australia needs to stop talking about drone and counter drone technology and invest billions of dollars in Australian companies, many of whom are world leaders.
Speaker 2: Well, Michael Schubridge, I always love your insights. Thank you for your time tonight. Well, coming up, the push to stop renewables project has gained some significant steam, but still no answers from New South Wales government.
Speaker 3: That is next.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, all right, We're going to head out to an issue that Peter has been following closely on this program now for some time. For years, farmers in New England have been fighting the New South Wales government's renewable energy zone and the transmission lines that come with it. Now the campaign has broadened into something much bigger.
Speaker 3: The newly launched.
Speaker 2: Walker Declaration is calling for a national rethink of Australia's energy policy, arguing the country's pursuit of net zero is driving up power bills, threatening food security and sacrificing productive land.
Speaker 14: We're calling for an urgent review into an energy policy that was never built for purpose. Billions of dollars have been spent on wind and solar projects that only deliver part time power, billions more on transmission that's required to bind it altogether, and then good money after bad to back up a system where failure is a designed feature. The result is a weaker, less resilient, but more costly energy system, and the proof of that is in everyone's power bill. Australians are paying more and getting less.
Speaker 2: What joining me now is one of the founders of the Declaration and a young Anna Welcome.
Speaker 3: Let's just start.
Speaker 2: Off if you could please just give our viewers a very quick understanding of how all of this started.
Speaker 11: So for our.
Speaker 5: Group, particularly the Walk of High Country Guardians, last October it was announced that this corridor three hundred and five kilometer transmission project was going to be moved to us after the government spent two hundred million studying a previous corridor. And since then it's really moved quite quickly. We've united with all the groups across the New England as well as groups up and down this line, because we knew very quickly how problematic this was. It was very clearly drawn from a desktop in Sydney, and so from there, I guess at a ground level we knew this project is incredibly flawed and the government aren't listening. It doesn't matter what facts or logic we give, it's not being heard.
Speaker 16: And so from there it's grown to.
Speaker 5: Talking to other communities outside of just our res We know that the Central West has been absolutely decidated.
Speaker 16: They are the guidea pigs.
Speaker 5: We know down in Victoria they're finding this across our country and the government are just unwilling to listen, and so this declaration really came from I guess grassroots perspective, a bunch of very frustrated Australians well the.
Speaker 3: New South Wales government.
Speaker 2: They say that renewable energy zones are essential to keep the lights on and deliver cheaper electricity as coal exit the system. And what you guys have been able to say and proving that this is becoming a multi billion dollar misallocation of tax payers money and it's actually going to increase power prices and also damage farmland along the way. And we're seeing that our power bills are just continuously going up and up and up, and so tell us about the policy reset that you want to see.
Speaker 16: So we understand that five years ago, when the.
Speaker 5: New England res was declared in twenty twenty one, it looked like it was going to be a great project.
Speaker 16: It looked like, you know, it could be the.
Speaker 5: Right place for wind generation, for solar generation. Since then, there's been a lot of data collected and five years is a long time for new information to come in, and that new information has clearly highlighted how flawed this project is and so what we know is that over the past few years, what people thought was going to be cleaner, greener, cheaper is just not the case anymore.
Speaker 16: And so for this.
Speaker 5: Project, the transmission corridor is going to cost twenty billion dollars and the projects up here in the New England have actually just been falling through. It was probably oversized to begin with because of some errors that happened, and the new policy that's come out that the Coalition are actually really driving and have suggested at the moment, is rethinking the resis. So this res up here the New England, res capping it where it is because we are already doing our fair share, and then looking at other areas closer to the grid, so around Sydney, Newcastle, Woongbong as well as areas that are actually crying out for it, not areas where like us in the New England, completely new water supplies would be needed. Hundreds and hundreds of trucks from hundreds of kilometers away every single day would need.
Speaker 16: To transport water just to build this resis.
Speaker 2: And you recently secured a parliamentary debate after more than twenty two thousand people signed a petition, which is remarkable by any measure. Now, I was actually sent a photo of this debate and the labor side of the chamber was empty. Have you spoken to Premier Chris Mins yet?
Speaker 5: Unfortunately Mins is refusing to meet with us. Refusing to talk with us on that day. You know, twenty two thousand people cared enough, twenty two thousands of his constituents cared, and the Premier Mins not to show up or talk to us, to refuse our request to the meeting just really shows a total disrespect for his state, for the people of his state. It shows a disrespect for farming families, for small businesses. That day was incredibly disappointing. So many of us traveled, you know, over ten hours return trip to be there, and they had one person speak from Bankstown and the Labor Governments speaker only spoke about things from twenty twenty one, no reasons why this corridor should proceed, whereas every other speaker there talked about the huge number of flaws in terms of economic disaster, environmental disaster, social disaster, and Mince has no good answer to that. And we're assuming that's why he won't meet, because he knows how problematic and costly this is going to be for all of Australians. It's going to add to their electricity bills, it's going to destroy small businesses. You know, this is something his people should care about.
Speaker 2: And there were two hundred of you that made the trip into Parliament House. Just quickly before I let you go, I went out to Crookwell and I've seen firsthand the damage it's doing to farmland. We've got about thirty seconds, but just tell us emotionally how this is impacting the farmers in your area.
Speaker 3: Just the thought of what could happen.
Speaker 5: It's hugely distressing, something that we spend countless hours on every day. These farms are everything to us. We want to get on with feeding the nation. We want to get on with making sure that we can run our small businesses to pass on to our children. And we want to make sure that Australia isn't left in a worse position than we're already being left in because of the financial irresponsibility of this government.
Speaker 2: Well, An, you keep up that fight, we'll get you on again soon. Well, thank you for your company tonight. You'll see me again here tomorrow at six o'clock. The Bolt Report is up next