Speaker 1: And it's all about lazy crooks wanting to make easy money.
Speaker 2: And you don't even have to be in the country to do it.
Speaker 1: I have to be in the country to do it. It's apparently being orchestrated. From a long way off.
Speaker 3: There was this rural sort of dirt road area next to this farming land, all flat land, and the body of the Point called woman, miss Mnaghani, was found in the bin. It's as grim as you can imagine.
Speaker 1: I'm Andrew Ruhle. Welcome back to Life and Crimes. We are here again with Anthony Dowsley, Olivia Jenkins and Reagan Hodge. There has been a year full of events. There's been crimes of all sorts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Andrew, it's been quite a year in crime. We talked about a few last week, but there's a lot we haven't touched on, like the tobacco wars or the missing campus trial. But one of the more chilling stories from earlier in the year was the body in the Wheely being case that you covered, Reagan.
Speaker 1: What's the really really true story about that one?
Speaker 3: So a Melbourne woman called Schwetze Mattagani from Point Cook was found in tragic circumstances. She was found in a bin out in a town called Buckley, which has just passed Geelong in the States West. She was found on Saturday, March nine. It was a stinking hot day. I remember I was out in Bananyong working on the Samantha Murphy disappearance. Somebody texted me that police had made a pretty grizzly discovery on this rural property out near Geelong. You're going to want to take a look at it. And in the hours after that the homicide squad were called out to Buckley. It was this rural sort of dirt road area next to this farming land, all flat land, and the body of the point cook woman, miss Mataghaney was found in the bin. It's as grim as you can imagine.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's horrible.
Speaker 3: And police over the next few days they worked too who find out any key suspects and they identified that her husband, Ashock raj Verkapula. I believe I've pronounced that career and apologies, no copy and paste job. Every time I write a story he's identified as having fled the country. It doesn't seem that way. He's jetted off to India. In the days after she was allegedly murdered and the days before suspicions about that well, it's hard to tell. At this stage. Victoria Police are still putting together a brief of evidence to hand to the Attorney General Mark Dreyfus. They do suspect as Shock may know something to do with this alleged murder, and at this point in time police are just working to get that extradition order to haul him back to Melbourne and then potentially question him.
Speaker 1: How do we go with extradition from India? They can be slow, can they not?
Speaker 3: They can be very slow and they may not lead anywhere. We've seen panite in that case that's well publicized and drawn out.
Speaker 1: It's India, urban nation with a lot of people living there.
Speaker 3: It is funny you say that the population is vast, and somebody told me that if you're wanting to hide in India, that's a pretty easy job.
Speaker 1: You're a chance. I would have thought so, well, that is an intriguing thing. When you got that text that day, did you think, oh, this could be Samantha Murphy.
Speaker 3: Funnily enough, it didn't click straight away, and it really should have because I was on the job looking for any clues of where Samantha Murphy might be. But it did eventually, and I thought, holy hell, have we just uncovered where she might be? But no, it was a separate case.
Speaker 1: Now, of course it wouldn't be a year in review if we didn't talk about tobacco was because they happen all the time. Every day we get up, we say, what's the news, and there's another tobacco place that's gone up. Oh yeah, nightclub or god knows what what is going on here.
Speaker 3: So just recently, late in twenty twenty four, we've ticked over the one hundred fire bombings mark, which is just insane to think about. I think it was a milk bar out at Greenvale became the one hundredth fire linked to the illicit tobacco conflict. Now we would have spoken about this last year. Not much has really changed. They're still fire bombing each other's stores. It's all for control of the illicit market, which just has so many financial benefits attached to it.
Speaker 1: Well, really, and we've said this before, but it's like prohibition in America one hundred years ago, where politicians said, right, we're going to prohibit alcohol and there won't be any we're not going to sell it anywhere, And of course the gangsters went, you'll be beuilty. We're going to make it and sell it and speak easy to make a lot of tax free money. And in fact, that decision by the legislators back then, and I would argue Australia as well, meant that crooks, the old time mafia who used to corner the onion market and stand over the Italian lady on the corner and all that stuff. I turned them into the Five Families of New York, turned them into the greatest organized crime cartels in history prohibition because they could sell grog. And this tobacco business here has turned these sort of glorified panel beaters that used to steal a few cars and turned them into these cartels that are making million bucks a day or whatever from ilicit tobacco.
Speaker 3: And these cartels or syndicates as we call them now, they're making so much money because smokers every day of the week, they'll choose to buy a pack of smokes that's fifteen bucks instead of paying fifty sixty seventy dollars. With this tobacco excise that keeps increasing every few months.
Speaker 1: I know people in this building that by smokes for eighteen dollars instead of forty eight, And how could you blame them? No, if it's a no brainer, it's a no brainer.
Speaker 2: Well, the argument that chop shop is worse for you than quote unquote regulated cigarettes isn't going to deter Howell, who's already decided to go to the shops and buy cigarettes.
Speaker 1: And you know, you'd wonder whether that would be true. I don't think none of it's much good for you. It's certainly no good. The day will come awfully when a fire bomb will go up a little cook an entire family that we roasted children come out of this.
Speaker 3: I spoke to a mother in late November who told me that her daughter had to evacuate a big department complex out in the Western suburbs in early hours of the morning, half past one I think it was, And I was trying to get an interview.
Speaker 1: With the daughter.
Speaker 3: Obviously the below store had been firebombed that night, and the mother said, unfortunately, she's too shaken up, she's too sort of traumatized. She had to sort of grab her belongings in the middle of the night and just get out of there. Her belongings that she kept in the house or in the apartment above were ruined because of the smoke damage and the fire is put in the water on it. But that's the effect of having like she didn't even want to have a phone call to say what she heard. How she's feeling now, and she had to really run for her life.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's terrible and it will lead to death. It was just awful. And it's all about lazy crooks wanting to make easy money.
Speaker 2: And you don't even have to be in the country to do it.
Speaker 1: Apparently I have to be in the country to do it. It's apparently being orchestrated from a long way off, is it not. That's right.
Speaker 2: We've obviously heard of, you know, two of the main players who really sort of kicked off the conflict that we saw last year, and that has shown no signs of slowing down this year. And obviously, when I say that, I'm talking about because kaz Hamad and the Melbourne based fighting Hidara or the Hadara Klan, who have yeah, who have history going back a long time and they've yeah, they're inches, have obviously not stopped. But now what we're seeing is that people have seen how lucrative the market is. And we've got a number of major players now and not necessarily anybody well known, and maybe people who aren't even on our radar yet. But you've got has you know, ringing up the phone of the local shop in Pasco Bay or Green Value, you name it, saying you're going to listen to me, and here's what you're going to do. And you've got people not knowing which way to turn because they just wanted to make a bit of extra money. And now they've got oh yeah, now they've got a crime boss breathing down the phone.
Speaker 1: It is scary stuff, very bad. Now. That's one story that aroused a lot of attention. Another one, I think is one gatta the disappearance of the as we call them, the two campers or the pensioners, and the subject of Greg Linn the Jets, that Billot and of his the acknowledged victim, Missus Clay, and of let's say, alleged victim Russell Hill. Ye, Anthony Dowsley, talk to me about that, talk to us about that well.
Speaker 4: As was highly publicized back in June, a jury came to a split decision on the murders of accusations of Carol Clay and Russell Hill, who were killed at Bucks Camp in the one Gatt Valley in Victoria's High Country. It was somewhat of an odd decision or unexpected decision, they note, but not necessarily a terrible one, terrible for the Hill family because they found that that Lynn, that Greg Lynn, the Jetstar pilot, had not murdered, of course, but they did find that he had killed Carol Clay. It leads you to the assumption that they thought that his finger was on the trigger of the gun which shot her as she stood apparently watching a freck car between Greg Lynn and Russell Hill.
Speaker 1: Those elements of that might be true.
Speaker 4: It might be somewhat true, But obviously they did not believe Greg Lynn's story.
Speaker 1: He gave evidence.
Speaker 4: He said it was all basically one accident after the other.
Speaker 1: He did very long shots.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a fairly.
Speaker 1: A million to one or several billion to one shot.
Speaker 4: They would be two extraordinary, unlucky events.
Speaker 1: In matter of a minute, Yes, exactly extraordinarily.
Speaker 4: Since then, he's been sentenced, yep. He was given a thirty two year jail term, which was a decent whack was but deserving yes, and no one will be shedding a tear for him, not many. And then he has since appealed.
Speaker 1: We wouldn't want to speculate about appeals. But he does have a very fine defense barrister, does he not.
Speaker 4: Dermit Dan is one of the best, if not the best, in all of Melbourne at Victoria.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a very interesting time, so next to you in twenty twenty five, we'll look forward to seeing what happens with that. I don't know that we can say a lot more about that case without, you know, arguing the toss with the lawyers and the judges and courts. Well, we wouldn't do it.
Speaker 4: It's a bit hard to explain. But one of the areas that will be agitated will be that I'm sure Dermit Dan will be saying that the conviction doesn't make sense because there's no motivation to kill Carol Clay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he would say that. And I suppose unless there was, yes, some might think, you know, if she was a witness to something else, to a very tragic death of her friend.
Speaker 4: But as it stands right now, Greg Lynn says that that is an accident, that the gun accidentally goes off and kills Carol Clay and then in the aftermath of that, there's another struggle and Russell Hill lands on his own knife.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's amazing. Circums of events be very hard to choreograph. If you were making a film about it, be very hard to get that sequence correct.
Speaker 4: Well, you'd have to almost lost several sequences, several versions of.
Speaker 1: The event astoning. Of all the people you've ever covered in many years, is there anyone that would be more calculating in your estimation than Greg Lynn?
Speaker 4: Well, given what we watched his record of interview with police and his evidence when he got in the witness box, I would say no. He's completely an utterly cool in a crisis.
Speaker 1: The other big story was the mushroom case. And I sometimes appear at hotels and things and talk to people, and I see this always a big response to the mushroom case. It sort of makes people laugh for some reason. I don't know why people funny about it. It's nothing funny about it, but the fact that to mushrooms people find somehow comical. Mushrooms are comical in a way that you know, perhaps hand grenades are not. Now this happened in South Gippsland, it did, and near curran Borough and Lean gatherin.
Speaker 4: Up there, and I learned a little something when the media packs were going down to Lean and Gather every day and to current Borough to find anyone associated with this case, anyone who might know anything. It's quite religious. There are religious parts of these towns and I never knew any of that. You're from down that way.
Speaker 1: I'm known from East Gippsland, which is about the same distance as from oh Moscow to Paris probably something like that. Not that far, but it's a fair way.
Speaker 4: And you know, as we move forward in this case, which at the moment will be heard at the courts in Morewell, which is pretty un new usual for a big murder case, there will be media from all over the world descending on this town really to a smoke, to a small court with facilities in it that are not up to date for something of this magnitude.
Speaker 1: What I want to know is that when reporters coming from London, Paris, New York, what they're going to think of the coffee shops of Mare. It's going to be interesting.
Speaker 4: It's going to be a brew ah and more well for the best coffee shop, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: It's a great place for steak sandwich. I know that for a fact. So what goes on there? Mushroom lady.
Speaker 4: Well, at the moment, so Aaron Patterson is remanded in custody, I can tell you she's the Dame Phillis Frost Center, which is a funny name for a prison. It is, but that's when.
Speaker 1: Not unless if you knew Dame Phillis Frost, you wouldn't think it was funny.
Speaker 4: I don't know her history.
Speaker 1: Actually, wonderful woman. I think you probably owe her more respect.
Speaker 4: Well, I just said it's a funny name from prison, right. I don't know much about Dame Philus Frost, but it's going to be It's going to be the most anticipated trial of the year in twenty twenty five, without a doubt.
Speaker 1: Is that true. Members of the jury, well, the younger people here might have a different view, I would.
Speaker 3: I would say given the worldwide media attention and the attention it's gained not only in Victoria but in wa in Queensland.
Speaker 1: You don't have to agree with him.
Speaker 3: I do on this case. It's going to be huge. We will have so many of our reporters down in the lovely More well town and Latro Valley. Nothing wrong with the Latroe Valley that's in between our sort of hometowns.
Speaker 1: It is indeed a wonderful place. Latro Valley used to sell more beer than anywhere else in Victorim? Is that right? One pub? There? Which one? The LV? There you go? I don't think it's even open now.
Speaker 2: And what do you think I think given the amount of what we were talking about earlier, while conspiracy theory, speculation about a woman, I think being at the center of a case like this, let alone in Australia, just tells you how much interest they'll be, not just from people like us. I think people who have a fixation with true crime here and around the world will tune and follow every step.
Speaker 1: It's got elements to it. It's like Midsimber murders and it's got a little bit of Bigger of Dipley in it. It's something slightly comical about this middle class lady that's accused of terrible things and she may not have done.
Speaker 2: Them, and it's good.
Speaker 1: That's what makes it interesting.
Speaker 2: That's right. It's got a bit of everything. As you mentioned. You know, a family sits down for lunch and nobody thinks that that's going to happen to them, and it's something that people do all the time every day, and you know, it's of course shouldn't be lost here that you know, some kids here have lost their grandparents Andou's lost their dad and it's awful. But the speculation for this poor family in such a small town when we all descend on it in twenty twenty five, will be massive.
Speaker 1: No doubt about it. Yeah, you're right, it's nothing funny about it at its core, and particularly for those who have lost loved ones. But you can see why people are fascinated by it because it's happening to respectable folk, not to you know, the criminal classes, which always makes it more intriguing.
Speaker 4: So Aaron Patterson, that is the woman accused of three murders, two teas, and as we speak, she's still accused of attempted murder as well of her husband several counts of that. As we move forward, we don't know what the jury will actually be told. For example, charges may be severed as we move along this process, witnesses are going to be very interesting, especially her ex husband.
Speaker 1: I'm sure, because he had his own problems with things. He's eaten. Yes, he's had tummy eggs.
Speaker 4: He's had he's had some hospital visits.
Speaker 1: And did they brought the dogs your Olivia, the dogs that came to Ballarat. I think they had a bit of an outing in South Kipstan, did they.
Speaker 2: They've had a busy year, not only in Baloti.
Speaker 1: Good dog will do that.
Speaker 2: And so before we got to the point that we're at now and as we wait for the trial, there was a day when the AFP and VIC Pole descended on her property in Leongatha Wals. She was with the dogs while she was inside, scouring it and sniffing the ground, and they did unearth some items there and I think they did include USB's and a laptop.
Speaker 1: I'm assuming that some witnesses will talk to that Anthony.
Speaker 4: I think the electronic footprint here will be central to this case. I see be very important part of it. A lot of evidence will be built around it. And we have no idea what is on those computers, if anything at all could be anything could be anything that'll certainly be a big part of this case. All we know is that she used to be on the Currmborough Flyer, which was a newsletter and before that she had a bit of a job as an air traffic controller. She was involved in church activities, She loved to travel, who loved travel and camping well.
Speaker 2: As Reagan said, the mushroom cookcase is going to be one of the biggest things we'll cover in twenty twenty five, but it's not going to be the only one. There's arson attacks, Middle East crime, gangs and biking activity and none of them are going away anytime soon, and maybe we can talk about them in more detail next year.
Speaker 1: Andrew, thank you for coming along. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury. You've been the most informative again. Thanks Andrew, Thanks thanks for listening. Life in Crimes is a Sunday Herald Sun production for True Crime Australia. Our producer is Johnty Burton. For my columns, features and more, go to Heroldson dot com dot au forward slash Andrew rule one word For advertising inquiries, go to news Podcasts sold at news dot com dot au. That is all one word news podcasts sold And if you want further information about this episode, links are in the description.