Speaker 1: Welcome to the Late Debase. Good evening and welcome to the program. I'm Caleb Bond with Frei Leitch and Caroline Marcus coming up tonight. Forget about the Uberittes driver drones could be on the way in. Will tell you how many people have complained about their presence in the sky over their homes. Very soon. It involves one woman who thinks the drones were watching her in her bathtub. The NRL in the papers wants to get involved in the Olympics. I wonder what my beloved AFIL is doing. Once again, they're letting Peter Velandi's walk all over them. And how old is too old to be pushed around in a pram? How does eight or teen years old sound to you. We'll get into that a little bit later now. Of course, all week we've been talking about the debate that Chris Mins, the Premier Review South Wales, sparked on Monday when he suggested that the tobacco excise ought to be cut in order to reduce the illicit tobacco market that is currently taking over the country. All over the country. Of course, this started mostly in Victoria with fire bombings more than one hundred of them. Now of these tobacco are selling illegal cigarettes. It's now spreading into New South Wales, it's spread into South Australia, and Chris Mins has had enough. He said, look, there are two things that have to happen here. One is I have to pull my police off of other crimes that I'd rather they'd be dealing with to deal with this burgeoning illicit tobacco market. And federal government, it's your fault that this has happened. You jacked the excess up so much that you created a market where now last year forty percent of tobacco sales were illegal. Well, it turns out, as we talked about earlier in the week, that over the road from Parliament in New South Wales there is a dodgy tobacco shop that is selling vapes and illegal cigarettes. They came to the attention of the Daily Telegraph. It was on the front page on Tuesday. They've since been given a warning, not even so much as a fine. They've been given a warning and told do better next time. Meanwhile, the Tree Jim Chalmers, has said there is no way they will be reducing reducing.
Speaker 2: Sorry to excise, I respectfully disagree with Chris as a friend of mine. I work closely with Premier Mins. I don't think the answer here is to make cigarettes cheaper for people. I think the answer here is to get better at compliance.
Speaker 1: Now he says there, the answer is not to make cigarettes cheaper. The only problem with that is that they're already cheaper, because you can walk into basically any tobacco in Australia and buy them for twenty dollars. That the federal government has just dismissed this out of hand. They haven't even said, yeah, we'll take a look at whether the tax is working or not. I mean, I don't think there's any other tax in the history of Australia where in five years you can double the levey. So it's gone from about eighty cents per cigarette five years ago to a dollar forty now, and at the same time, watch the revenue on that tax have it's obvious that this market has been created because of the high excite, it's actually driving less revenue to the federal government. Now, means is sensibly said, can we take a look at this. The federal government won't even bother to do that.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, there's no doubt that the high excise is pushing people to illegal tobacco. But then the question is why is there illegal tobacco available? And as we've discussed earlier in the week, there are twenty compliance officers based in the Health department, not even in the police force, in the health department that are responsible for regulating twenty thousand tobacconists.
Speaker 4: And as you saw in that case just then, even when these.
Speaker 3: Illegal tobacconists are caught, they're not even punished with the full force of the law. They're not imprisoned, they're not issued the maximum fine, which is over one hundred thousand dollars. Generally, what happens is they're just issued a warning a fine of about eleven hundred dollars. That's how much you get fined if you're driving thirty k's over the speed limit. That hardly seems like fit punishment for gangland figures who are operating criminal enterprises.
Speaker 4: So, yes, we can have a conversation.
Speaker 3: About cutting the tax, but I think we cannot have that conversation without also acknowledging the fact that there is insufficient compliance. And if Chris Minz can afford to put drivers on driverless metros, he can afford to hire a few more people to patrol the illegal TOBACCOO Well.
Speaker 1: He was forced to put the drivers on the metros by the union. But I mean, there's a police. We don't have enough police officers. And I think it's unfair of the federal government to expect the state to basically clean up their mess, because of course there's always been illegal cigarettes in some way, shape or form, but noway near the magnitude that exists now. And so you have the federal government with its ridiculous excise that the state government is then expected to monitor. And they've always done that with these you know, compliance officers who work in the health department, because it's never been a problem, but all of a sudden and out of nowhere, it is these twenty thousand shops. I mean, what are we to expect the coppers to go around and check out every single one of them.
Speaker 5: It's not realistic.
Speaker 6: And I do agree with Chrismin's The New South Wales premiere on that that the cops are already stretched absolutely thin, are dealing with domestic violence, drug issues, the weekly protests that they have to stand there.
Speaker 5: And babysit every week in the city. But what I disagree with you.
Speaker 6: About, Caleb, is that this means that the excize is not working, because what is the alternative?
Speaker 5: Do you then.
Speaker 6: Drop legal cigarettes back to twenty dollars in order to compete twenty dollars a pack they're currently about sixty bucks a pack to compete with the illegal tobacco.
Speaker 5: You can't.
Speaker 6: You absolutely can't get not because you can't. The smoking rates would first of all go through the roof, because if you actually look at the statistics, they've halved since the excise was first introduced, So it actually is working to do what its main per purposes, which is to cut smoking braids and therefore help the public health system obviously look after the well being of the country. But on top of that, it's second purpose is obviously to raise tax as well, So you would be raising tax if you drop it to compete with well.
Speaker 1: You'd actually make more because five years ago that were making double leaks.
Speaker 6: You have to have some excise on it, and if you put any excise on it, it's going to be more expensive than what you can get on the black market, So people are always going to go to the black market.
Speaker 5: And then the other argument I would raise with you as well. Of course, if.
Speaker 6: You don't want organized criminals to get involved in this, well there's all sorts of other things you can do.
Speaker 5: Well, why don't we just legalize heroine? Why do we legalize creme legal?
Speaker 6: Well, it is legal and they don't want to make it illegal, which I know is another ethical issue all together.
Speaker 5: But it's the same with prostitution.
Speaker 6: We have legal prostitution, we also have brothels that are operated and the legal type of sex work that's also being involved with the organized crime scene. So I think that on principle, I don't think it's something that just to try and get more tax or to make sure that the organized criminals don't have a market. We should completely remove what our concerns are with smoking, and there are some.
Speaker 4: Other options available to the government as well.
Speaker 3: They recently cracked down on bikey owned tattoo parlors, and to do that they did background checks on the owners of these parlors. I mean, I don't see why they're not doing that. Anyone who wants to open up a tobacconist you should immediately have to do a background check. If they have any criminal history, then immediately not the matter.
Speaker 4: I think there are so.
Speaker 3: Many steps we can take to just improve basic enforcement.
Speaker 1: That's fair enough. But two points you made there, One Caroline was that the smoking rate would go through the roof if you dropped the excise. They can already buy the illicit tobacco in pretty much every tobacconist, So I don't think it makes a great difference to smoking rates.
Speaker 5: Want to if you actually look at the statistics.
Speaker 1: But if you want to smoke, we're talking about people who are smoking now. So if you want to smoke now, you can go and buy the illegal stuff for twenty backs of packet, or you can buy the legal one. So if the legal one was twenty backs of packet, I don't think it encourages more people to smoke because they can already buy it for twenty backs of packet illegally. And as for what was the other point, and.
Speaker 6: General have to find a tobacconist. You have to go into each one and find out any advertizer.
Speaker 5: It's not every single one.
Speaker 1: Well, look you walk down any high street now and there's dozens.
Speaker 3: Of just prove the case that we need more enforcement. If every to back it is just breaking the law, then let's just crack down.
Speaker 1: Perhaps so, but look, I just think if you helped new to the market it would make a difference.
Speaker 3: I agree to disagree on that one. Then this is really interesting. Australia's leading expert who wrote the gender affirming care policy of the government has been lashed family Court judge who said that the evidence for gender affirming care is ideological and lacks evidence.
Speaker 4: To support it. This was in a case where.
Speaker 3: The mother wanted their twelve year old child to go onto puberty blockers, but the father said no, Let children be children. And the justice has also slammed this idea that gender dysphoria is this immutable trait and said, hang on a second, it can also be influenced by environmental factors and that's something we've seen.
Speaker 4: In the last five to ten years.
Speaker 3: There has been a shocking explosion in the number of children identifying as transgender and claiming to have gender dysphoria. So this judge is essentially interrogating the evidence base and it is seriously lacking. He also found that this gender expert gave misleading evidence and the significance of this is that the doctor's name was previously anonymised and she didn't want to be identified. But now the lid has been blown, and so this really shatters I think this whole narrative that gender affirming care is the only way to treat transgender children, because as we've seen in the UK with the Cat's Review, even in Queensland they've paused the use of puberty blockers for miners. It simply is not supported by the evidence. This field of study, as this judge points out, is inherently ideological, it lacks evidence support and ultimately children are being harmed by this through irreversible procedures. You can't just block or pause puberty. It causes lasting damage to these kids. So I think it'll be really interesting to see whether the federal government response. They're currently conducting a review into gender affirming care, but we're not expected to see any results until mid twenty twenty six. How many other kids have to fall victim to this broken system before the government acts?
Speaker 6: Caroline, Oh, well, this is an absolutely critical judgment, I think, And just to pick up one of your points, I mean, I have no doubt that the expert would have preferred to stay anonymous, but it's actually part of our court system that when matters are in the family court witnesses like this expert witness how are keptainnonymous. So it actually took journalists and in this case the Australian to make an argument with the court and put in submissions as to why she shouldn't be anonymous, and for very good reason, and in this case the judge agreed it is in the public interest. We're not just talking about one gender care expert. This woman, Michelle Telfer, was the lead author of the nation's.
Speaker 5: Guidelines on how to look after children.
Speaker 6: One other worrying aspect of her evidence, the judge pointed out, was that she compared this landmark cast review into gender a firm and care.
Speaker 5: Which raised all sorts of concerns. As you point out about gender care. Two Nazis and how Nazis.
Speaker 6: Treated people are particularly gay and lesbian people during the Holocaust.
Speaker 5: They were persecuted as well.
Speaker 6: And the judge said there is no comparison whatsoever, and that demonstrated a true ignorance and also discredited her even further. So I'm glad that she's been unmasked because when it comes to other parents of confused children, and there are a lot, there is a kind of social contagion happening here. If they are going to take this person's advice or follow these sorts of guidelines, then they need to know who are the people who are making them.
Speaker 1: I mean, it is an extraordinary decision by Judge Andrewstrom to allow the name to be made public, like it's basically unheard of in the family court, and people in family law circles, even those who weren't involved in the case, were well aware of who was being named here. They knew well about the case and we're sort of waiting for this to come, and of course it has, and we have to be very careful when we talk about these things to realize there are two distinct types of children who present as quote unquote transgender. There are children who present and it's obvious their parents can attest that from a very young age they have showed some kind of issue with their gender. Gender dysphoria is the diagnosis that then leads to someone later becoming transgender. And then you have children who present during puberty, usually in their teenage years, saying that they are experiencing gender dysphoria, and in almost every case of a child presenting in that circumstance, there are other comorbid issues, whether it be anxiety or depression or one hundred other mental concerns, right, And so they're going through something and they think, oh, I don't know who I am, and they say that's gender dysphoria. And the rules as they are at the moment, the gold standard apparently is to tell these children and teenagers that that must be affirmed. It's gender affirming care. We believe you, without interrogating all the other things that most often are leading this teenager to say that they feel like they are transgender. And the fact that Michelle Telfer of course wrote the guidelines and then was in court using the guidelines that she wrote to justify the evidence she was giving, and the judge said it was like a judge giving a judgment on one base and then referencing his own case and saying that was the reason that it should be.
Speaker 6: Look speaking of confused children here, let's move on to Gretit Thumberg. She's technically not a child anymore, but for all intents and purposes, she still comes across as.
Speaker 5: A very ignorant, naive young woman.
Speaker 6: The ship the boat, I should say that she's sailing on towards Gaza to break the siege. While it's inching closer and closer. It has moved off course now lightly. It's responded to a distress call from a boat containing forty asylum seekers. But look, there's been many interviews, many pieces to camera posted to social media from this boat that Greater Thumberg is on. They're there to deliver aid. Let's take a look at some of what Greta and some of will.
Speaker 7: Attempt to again sale towards Gaza and to try to break the siege and open up a humanitarian code or by delivering aid. Keep trying everything we can, even if the odds are against us, to try to protest and do everything we can to stand against Israel's atrocities and war crimes.
Speaker 6: I mean, they're not just there with a few packets of milk and protein bars to deliver to people in Gaza, but they're carrying this banner saying humanity borders and talking about how there should be no borders and how Europe is evil because it doesn't allow safe passage to every asylum seeker who wants to enter its shores. I mean, I feel like if you looked up the term useful idiot in the dictionary, it would show gret A Thumberg.
Speaker 4: That's exactly right.
Speaker 3: And I think what this story also shows is that the pro Palestine movement is just the tip of the iceberg for what these people want to achieve. They do truly believe in a borderless society. We need to decolonize everything and we need to overthrow the oppressors.
Speaker 4: Take a look at this.
Speaker 8: They move from different places and they try to seek shelter. So this is something that we need to announce. The problems that were generated by the global norf colonizing powers on the global self that makes the people to move and in the end where they try to move to the global North to say shelter, they don't have a sick place of go. So we need to expose the whole system that is problematic. It's not just one specific situation.
Speaker 1: We need to change society in its cork, in its roops.
Speaker 3: Oh no, the global North is oppressing the global South. They called the Mediterranean a graveyard for those brave, fearless asylum seekers that are just trying to take shelter in the global North because they've been oppressed so much by the Western world, and now they try to go there to take shelter, yet there's nowhere safe for them to go. It's like, seriously, the people crossing the Mediterranean are illegal migrants. I'm not sure the people in Europe would be so happy to welcome them with open arms, and we've seen how that's.
Speaker 4: Gone for Europe.
Speaker 3: But seriously, and the other thing I find so funny about this is the victim complex of these people. It's truly beyond comprehension. So naturally they're sailing near Greek territorial waters, and so the Greek government has been monitoring them with a drone.
Speaker 4: Check this out, Hello of Ron.
Speaker 8: We're reporting here from them Adlin. We are right now at eighty kilometers from Greek lens and sixty eight kilometers from Greek territorial orders. What happened is that we just spotted a drone and we confirmed it is a drone, but we just lost to visual with it. We could have either turned back or turned off the lights. We need we need your help. Please send this is lass signs let.
Speaker 3: And this morning one of the members of the Freedom Flotilla said they were subject to psychological warfare because of this drone overhead. The whole saga is honestly embarrassing, but it does raise the question, Caleb, will the IDF let them into Gaza?
Speaker 4: Should they? How are they going to approach?
Speaker 1: This is the suggestion now is that they may not. I mean that they will probably hold a raid before it gets to the coast. And I can understand that fair enough, because you know you don't want them bringing ammunition or anything on board. But I'm not sure why you would actually stop them from making land. What is what's actually to gain in stopping them from making land. They are a bunch of idiots on a boat that were going to rock up and walk around for a while, probably realize that it's a lot worse than they really thought it was, and get back on the boat and bag her off. Like, what is there to gain into turning them away?
Speaker 6: Well, I think on principle Israel I absolutely can't. Otherwise, I mean, who knows what they are smuggling, No doubts.
Speaker 5: They'll be checks.
Speaker 6: But you can't let every activist boat just make land in gas and walk around free will. But a part of me would like to see Greta Thumberg over there. Maybe she can check out the climate credentials of the Hamas terraces. Are they offsetting their carbon when they're firing rockets and civilians in Israel? They are making sure that they only use you know, renewable energy when they're digging their tunnel terror tunnels underneath the ground.
Speaker 5: I'd like her to check out those credentials.
Speaker 3: All that cement takes a lot of fossil huels. But it is worth noting that this actually has happened once before. Back in twenty ten, a group of Turkish activists had their own freedom flotilla. It was intercepted by the IDF. They went on board to obviously seize the ship and turn them around, but the Turkish activists met them with punching, they tried stabbing them.
Speaker 4: A couple of the IDF.
Speaker 3: Soldiers got wounded and as a result they fired live ammunition and ten activists died. So this is actually a very serious situation, and I think honestly, going into a terrorist controlled enclave really nearly as they are, is a recipe.
Speaker 1: For disaster for themselves.
Speaker 6: For themselves because as we see what happens when aid workers do end up getting killed, often because there are mistakes that may have been made by Israel, but also because they can be very easily mistaken for her mass militants, especially if they're very close to her mask combat areas, So they're putting themselves a danger.
Speaker 5: Who will get blamed.
Speaker 6: Israel will get blamed in the end, Israel will always get blamed.
Speaker 5: Why don't Israel put itself in that position?
Speaker 1: Well, I couldn't particularly care if she got blown off the face of the earth, but is it not also then handing them a free kick, almost saying, oh, will you won't let me come and see what's actually going No, no, but.
Speaker 5: You honestly you cannot win in the situation.
Speaker 6: If they got on the ground there and they would parade around filming more propaganda, or they will get themselves killed and that would be yet more propaganda for her.
Speaker 5: Mask, Israel would lose, lose, lose either way.
Speaker 6: Look, let's move on because Safe Work, it's been revealed, has done an investigation. Well, they did an initial investigation into the University of Sydney, which is we know and Freyer, you know better than most was at the coal face of as anti Semitism crisis across our university campuses. Now a scathing report has found by an inspector has found that a high risk psychological hazardous workplace endured at the university for about eleven months due to the inactions of the university to eliminate hate. Now, despite that finding, and despite this investigator recommending that safe work go on and carry out a full investigation, that was never done. This is we only find this out as a result of a freedom of information request into this. So look, it's disappointing that there wasn't a full investigation. I think particularly we saw the longest running pro Palestine encampment on the grounds. I've revealed many stories here on Sky News about shocking cases of anti semitism there. But on the other hand, it is good that we are learning that an independent assessor made the finding that we could frankly all see, well, wow, thing.
Speaker 1: That's the most extraordinary thing, isn't it that it needed an independent decessor to to even notice that in the first place. But the bit I don't get is that the board then decides it's not worthy of investigation. I mean, what's the point of the independent aecessor going and look at these things, looking at these things and coming back and saying yes, this needs to be investigated. If the board then disregards the opinion of the independent deecessor, I mean, if that's how they're going to conduct things, cut out the middleman, get rid of the independent deecessor and send the board in to do the job because they clearly think they know better exactly.
Speaker 4: It really makes no sense.
Speaker 3: And the other interesting thing to note that was found by the Safe Work Commission was that the university had the policies and the legal authority to end the encampment and deal with the anti semitism, but they chose not to enforce them. And this is what we were saying for the entire duration. We kept saying, remove the encampment, enforce the rules you already have, But the universe he kept going, no, no, We've got to de escalate the situation. We couldn't possibly make the people breaking the rules actually suffer consequences. But to give you some context about what we actually had to face for at least eight weeks of proper encampment, but many, many, many months of anti semitism. Take a look at just one example of the kinds of marches that occurred at Sydney Union, seeing that week in, week out, plus a permanent encampment, like seriously, and then the university essentially trying to gaslight Jewish staff and students into saying no, no, there's no antisemitism here. This is all just legitimate criticism of Israel. I want some accountability. People have been calling for Mark Scott to resign since this saga started, and I think now we have damning evidence that he fundamentally failed in his duty of care to staff and students.
Speaker 4: When is he going to go, Well, actually he's.
Speaker 5: Getting a pay rise for it. He's getting a pay rise. He even admitted.
Speaker 6: I mean, we didn't need this independent review in one sense because he admitted that he had seriously failed Jewish students and staff. But it wasn't just all those incidents, which included members of the extremist group his book Tarrier on campus like they weren't students. They were coming onto campus and being part of these encampments and causing all this trouble.
Speaker 5: Not only did they not do anything about that, they.
Speaker 6: Appointed an anti Israel activist to handle the complaints from Jewish students and stuff, which I exposed on Sky News that the way that they went about actually handling the complaints was almost as bad as the acts of anti Semitism, if not worse, because they did breach that duty of care and not doing anything about that and not taking the complaints seriously.
Speaker 1: I wondered what happened to the water cannons bring him back. It's not just on the university campuses, it's the woo woo hippie community as well. Apparently you might have seen the case this week of Sharon tal who calls herself I've got to get this right, a soul alchemist, whatever the hell that is. But she was basically drummed out of the biggest wellness festival in Melbourne, the Mind, Body, Spirit Festival, because she is a Jewish woman, and people started this campaign online saying she was a Zionist and that she was taking part in genocide, which I'm not entirely sure how you do that when you're a sol alchemist on the other side of the world, but never mind. So they originally said that they were going to remove her from the festival. Funnily enough, today they decided to reverse their decision. Here she is.
Speaker 9: It was always about the Prohamace groups that has decided that I go for genocide, which I don't so I go for love and light, I go for empowerment, and that's it's all about. Some of the stuff are not allowed even to wear their name badge because of the direct threats that they have received from the frot from US supporters, and this is really really upsetting.
Speaker 1: I mean, that is bloody ridiculous. You can have a go atter all you want for being a dut job who gets involved in whatever soul job, let's know, but you know, to go after people for their religion on any basis, what I mean, it's just ridiculous.
Speaker 5: Isn't it?
Speaker 6: Of course absolutely to go after someone based on their religion or their ethnicity. And her case, there was one reference that they dug up to a women's international Zionist organization, but that's just obviously an excuse. It's because she was Jewish and she had an Israeli background as well, apparently. I mean, it's just ridiculous discrimination, it's racism, it's anti semitism. I'm glad the festival reinstated her, but the fact she can't even wear a name badge tells you everything that you need to know about this movement.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is really really really disturbing, But there we go and some people are applauding the festival for bringing her back. But why are we applauding people who were anti submitting in the first place.
Speaker 1: I'm not as bad as I used to be.
Speaker 3: Exact great, after immense public backlash, I've decided.
Speaker 4: To do the right thing. No, come on, but this is interesting. Drones aren't just changing the way we wage war.
Speaker 3: You may have seen in Ukraine they carried out an incredible operation using drones and destroyed a massive amount of Russian bomber planes. Drones are also changing the way we live, specifically drone deliveries. This is pretty incredible. There are now drones that can deliver small items like coffee or groceries straight from the shop to your home in as little as forty seconds, and now about three million. There are about three million drones in Australia in total. But it does raise the interesting predicament of how do you regulate the air and the noise, because if these drones are delivering things to people's homes, they're going to be going past people's houses. So there are three million drones in Australia, as I mentioned, yet the body regulating drones only received about three noise complaints in the last year. But is this really indicative of widespread community support for the drones.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: One woman expressed alarm at the drones because apparently she was in her bath and in a span of just three hours sitting in the barth, she had a drone go past twenty eight times. I mean, it also does make you feel a little awkward around surveillance, securious.
Speaker 4: But I don't know, Caleb.
Speaker 1: She might be good looking woman.
Speaker 5: But how lazy do you have to be to get a coffee?
Speaker 1: Well, I know, I know a crone, but this is I know of people legitimately who were on a set today morning order a coffee on Uber Eats, and it's like, just get out of bed and walk down the street, right. I mean, of course, the air is already regulated by cassipiaues. Of course you've got planes and helicopters and things flying around the air, and so most of what you have in the cities is already controlled airspace. There are very strict rules about it. That's what you can and can't do with drones. But the idea that they're going to start delivering things, Look, I'm not terribly opposed to it. But I think the problem is that because we haven't seen it on a large scale yet, I can't really tell you what may or may not be wrong with it. Now you know they have trialed it in some places. The fact there've only been three people who've complained may will say that it is a success. But I can understand why if you've got these things zipping around all the time constantly, the noise may actually get a bit annoyse.
Speaker 6: I think the noise was one aspect of it, like they're also the spying concerns, especially if you're naked in your bathtub was another one, and national security concerns well, I mean, where are these drones being made my guess would probably be so I think that could be a concern too. But I think the complaint argument doesn't really hold water because it's really difficult for people to know who to complain to. Even the department, the federal department that was supposed to be handling the complaints wasn't even aware that they were the ones that was supposed to be handling it, So I think that's a problem. But having used drones in filming for new stories and features here, I know how difficult it is to find a space where you can actually use a drone. And so I don't know how this is going to work on a large scale.
Speaker 5: But maybe we'll all be living in a very jetsons.
Speaker 1: And it does raise the point, do you have the right to sit in the nick in your own backyard and not be monitored doing so? Right hand?
Speaker 5: Love, you still have that right, You'll go ahead and do.
Speaker 1: That, thankfully. I live in the park. I don't have a backyard. But if you see me, if you see me on the balcony, if you're coming in on the ferry into the balmain wall, we don't want to look at We don't let me know. Well, someone wanted to see the person of the bath apparently and now helped looking fella and moving on to another story. Out of the US, they're worried that the Chinese potentially trying to import stuff that would kill their crops. Now, of course we know what happened with COVID nineteen. It was created or manipulated in a lab. Uhan. I know, you can't say it. You can't say it except that it did happen. So it's understandable why they would be worried about this because two researchers from China have been caught trying to struggle a struggle smuggle. They'll get into a struggle if they're not careful. Smuggle a fungus into the United States that is known to kill crops. Now, this thing, it's called Fusirium grammanarum. It does already exist in the United States. But the concern is, of course that if you can manipulate viruses in China and then release them to the rest of the world, God knows what they could be doing with live matter like this as well. So these two people who are connected to the Commune Party have obviously come under the rule of the feeds now. I mean, if you're bringing in you got to ask the question, why would you be bringing in a crop killing fungus in the first place, like I'm coming here to do it's just doing some inniscent research.
Speaker 3: It's very obvious that this was meant to undermine the security of the United States, and the chair of the House Committee said the CCP will use any and every tool to bring the United States to their knees, including biological warfare, and actually on the phone of one of these Chinese researchers who was arrested. Now they actually found a PDF that talked about this fungus in the context of plant warfare essentially, so it's pretty obvious as to why they're bringing this fungus in. One of them is also a researcher at the University of Michigan. This ties into all the stuff we've been talking about with Trump cracking down on CCP influence in the universities and just goes to show it's not just influence over research, it's potentially creating biological weapons as well. And then the other thing to note too is that Chinese companies have been actively buying up farmland around.
Speaker 4: US military basis.
Speaker 3: So you connect all the dots there and it's not looking too good.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 6: The other point I would raise as to why this is not just some innocent explanation tool this, and of course it has to proceed through the courts, But this arrest of the woman happened, the researcher happened in July last year.
Speaker 5: Her boyfriend, who was accused of being part.
Speaker 6: Of this plot is still at large with a warrant for his arrest. So if there was an innocent explanation, why hasn't he fronted exactly though it is.
Speaker 1: Indeed, quickly before we go to a break, while we're talking about the United States, Donald Trump has launched an investigation into what exactly was going on with Joe Biden. Of course, I mean, look, you can look through most of his presidency and see that he wasn't all there and that he had expectatoes for brains. But it became pretty obvious as the campaign wore on. Remember, of course, the debate that essentially ended his presidency with Donald Trump, where he just basically wasn't there at all. And so the President now says, well, we've got to get to the bottom of all of this and how it all happened. The presidential memorandum said, the conspiracy marks one of the most dangerous and concerning scandals in American history. And of course you've got Jake Tapper's book Caroline that's sort of been blowing the lid on all of this. The number of people who must have been complicit in holding him up, Jill Barden chief among them, I think, is.
Speaker 6: Extreme, and we need to know their names, and we need to know exactly what they did, what they knew, who was running the show, because clearly it wasn't Joe, no matter what he said. Let's just take a look back at some of Joe Biden's finest moments. If you hold near and dear to you that you.
Speaker 5: Like to be able to.
Speaker 6: Anyway, America is a nation that can be defined in a single word. So thank you all, God.
Speaker 9: Bless you all.
Speaker 5: Let's go, Let's go late, let the world, let's get it done.
Speaker 1: The distraction that makes this country is one of the last of the point you need.
Speaker 5: You don't know whether.
Speaker 1: Both both. I think after the break we'll get into the papers. The NRL wants to get involved in the Olympics, and just for you at home, we will define the late debate in a single word for the what the hell? All right, let's get into the papers, starting with the Herald Sun, where of course, once again it has the mushroom murder trial on the front. What an extraordinary story it is. But we'll talk about another story. Super half on young more than four hundred and thirty thousand Australians would avoid being hit with Labour's super high tax or high super tax, it should be said, at retirement. If the three million dollar threshold was indexed in line with inflation. Analysis is found without indexation, about half a million people, including about two hundred and four thousand workers currently under thirty, would pay a higher concessional tax rate by age sixty five, according to the Financial Services Council. You know, if they wanted to do it, they could just just bake the indexation in. Instead, we're told by Jim Charmazol, well someone else will deal with it at another time, they'll raise threshold.
Speaker 4: Well why not just index it now exactly?
Speaker 3: And they won't like as if this is as far as label will go. Now that they've got the Greens in there, they've got their super.
Speaker 4: Majority, are you kidding?
Speaker 3: They're going to do as much as they physically can to steal your money.
Speaker 6: What that is and if the deal guys had with the Greens, well the threshold goes down to two millions, that's hundreds of thousands more people that can look forward, if not more than a million that can look forward to being hit with this.
Speaker 4: It is literally just a cash grab.
Speaker 3: And for them to change the rules on tax now that's also the really unfair part.
Speaker 4: We are forced to put our.
Speaker 3: Money into super I would rather have it in my pocket, especially when I'm young. Not only am I forced to give what twelve percent of my income to some fund I can't access till I'm sixty five.
Speaker 4: Now they're going to tax them more as well.
Speaker 6: And tax paper profits, not even profits in realized games.
Speaker 4: It's ridiculous. Let's move on to the Australian.
Speaker 3: Similarly, on that note, labor i'd tax exemption.
Speaker 4: For farms small business and said no.
Speaker 3: Key members of Anthony Albanesi's economic team considered exempting family farms and property owned by small businesses from Labour's controversial unrealized capital gains tax, which was excluded from Treasury's official advice to the government on how to make super annuation fairer. As Susan Lee's Shadow Cabinet on Thursday formalize its opposition to Labour's proposal to slug Australians with three million dollars or more in their super accounts, a prominent ALP source disclosed there were internal discussions about certain assets being exempt. Now this is interesting because it shows that they know this is a bad policy and it's really bad for those illiquid assets. So if your super is invested in a farm, a startup a business. How are you going to pay a tax on unrealized gains when you don't have that money as cash.
Speaker 1: Well, it's very similar with seem in some ways to what labor has done in the UK, where of course until now if you had a farm, it was exempted from death taxes, and so they now want to include it in death duties, which essentially means the end of the family farm, because how are you going to pass the farm on which is basically the one asset that you've bought all the money you've ever had, onto your kids if they're going to have to pay forty percent tax on that? What we're going to cut afod percent of the farm and sell it so you can keep the rest of the land. And that's essentially what this will do. If you're going to be text at thirty percent on the farm, which is double what you're currently paying at the moment in your superannuation, which is fifteen percent, it doubles your expenses and farming is hard enough as it is right now.
Speaker 6: And it just goes to show, you know, the argument that this is only going to affect a really small amount of very wealthy people who have a lot of money in their superannuation. It just doesn't hold because some people do have these assets on them and by no means would they be considered super wealthy and capable of, you know, paying a lot more in tax than they currently do.
Speaker 5: They're struggling and.
Speaker 6: They cannot afford to pay double the amount of tax on these assets.
Speaker 3: No, it is ridiculous, and as we've just heard, the average person is also going to fall under this threshold because it's not index. Another story in the Australian drone danger to fence, Australia's fleet of jet of fighter jet, warships and submarines would be sitting dusts if an enemy terrorist launched drone attacks at an at a rapt airfield or a naval base, as Ukraine.
Speaker 4: Did against Russia's bomber fleet this week.
Speaker 3: Experts say the Ukrainian attack, which destroyed up to one third of Russia's strategic bombers, open a new chapter in modern warfare, exposing our vulnerability to a similar attack. They say Australian Defense force reluctance to invest in armed drones and counter drone measures means our bases are vulnerable to a similar attack. I mean, like tell us something we don't already know, but it is still terrifying to think about.
Speaker 1: We'll forget, forget about the drones coming to look at you in the nick, in the bath, or the balcony or the backyard, or whatever the case might be. I mean, we need these stats. I Meanwhile, we're talking about buying a patchy helicopters and stuff, but we are so far behind the eight ball on this stuff. Ukraine, with you know, a lot less resource is than many other countries, has just shown us how powerful these drones can be. The fact that we're not on it right now is just insane.
Speaker 6: No, Australia seriously behind the April. We'd have no hope if we're going to be attacked. And you know, the US says an attack is imminent at least of Taiwan, and what will that mean.
Speaker 1: Fust China season, You're not going to come near us, So we'll take them at their word.
Speaker 6: Hey, yes, I know they're totally reliable, especially when they have bioweapons at their disposal. But anyway, let's move on to a bit of a lighter fun story now. On the front of the Career Mail, the nurl's bowld Olympics stream This is about how the rugby league has formerly.
Speaker 5: Thrown its hat into the ring for a spot.
Speaker 6: In the twenty thirty two Brisbane Olympics and Paralympics, and touch football is the most likely form now. I mean, if breakdancing can be a sport at the Olympics, then surely in rugby league. But how many nations around the world will be able to actually compete if this was.
Speaker 4: A real I mean, isn't there a threshold?
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure there has to be an international federation for these sports before they can go into the Olympics. Like, if someone can show us the International Federation of NRL, which is an explicitly Australian and PNG sport, I'd be happy to see it.
Speaker 4: But like, yeah, I mean Zealand and New Zealand, and I think they.
Speaker 1: Might be a little bit displayed in the UK as well. But still, but you know, I reckon Peter Velandi's would make a very good case that the Rugby League Commission is indeed the global arbiter of this.
Speaker 6: If raygun can represent good, then I think I could have a go. I mean, I last played touch footy when I was in school, but you know, I'll have a crack.
Speaker 1: Let's try and export the AFL as well. You know, I want to see the mighty Adelaide Crows winning at the Olympics. How good would that be? I know Chris Kenny at the home is at home is cheering at the TV as well. And another story on the front of the Career Mail. Now, of course, the front page that you just saw of the paper is the first editions. That's what gets sent out to the country etc. And when they printed the paper at eight o'clock tonight it said Phoebe's flatmate release. The housemate of missing Queensland tenager Phoebe Bishop has been released from custody after questioning over her disappearance. But things have changed since that first edition was printed. I imagine this will be full blown on the front of the paper tomorrow. We can now tell you that James Wood and Tanika Bromley, who were the housemates, have been arrested and charged. Tonight, the police said that detectives charged the thirty four year old man and thirty three year old woman with murder in relation to the disappearance as seventeen year old Phoebe Bishop. Phoebe has not been seen or heard from since May the fifteenth. The remains of Phoebe Bishop have not been located to date. They were arrested tonight in the Bunderberg area. They've been charged with one count each of murder and two counts each of interfering with a corpse and need due to appear in Bunderberg Magistrate's Court sorry tomorrow. Moving on to the Advertiser where it says they've had their state budget in the ESA today. Debt bomb, debt bomb, you're the debt bomb. State debt will balloon to forty eight billion dollars and costs South Australian tax payers six point seven million dollars a day in interest for payments, the result of big spending budget released on Thursday. I reckon, if you work that out per head of population, you'd be on a pretty similar trajectory to Victoria, which has six odd million people and nearly two hundred million dollars of debt. I think it's about two million people in South Australia. It's not that different.
Speaker 4: You mean a labor government that can't control its spending.
Speaker 1: I'm so shocked.
Speaker 3: But finally, just quickly before we go here we go again Tasmanians, you're back to the polls. Just four hundred and thirty nine days after your last election. The liberal premiere has officially lost the confidence of the House.
Speaker 1: Oh dear, how things go down in Tazia after the break? How old is too old to be pushed around in a pram? Apparently eight and ten year olds? Can you do it? I think there are plenty of people who wish they could be for throughout it a pram too. We'll show you that more out.
Speaker 2: Of the day.
Speaker 1: Some morning, Zoe wake up and I just wish someone could push me around it. It seems if you got a Disney to push here around. I do get pushed around, just in a different way. But it seems even if a fteen year old.
Speaker 5: Even eight and ten.
Speaker 6: Now a mom in America has been hailed a hero after pushing her eight and ten year old children around in a stroller as they call them, over there pram basically around Disney World, the theme park. She said that she had to do what she had to do. This is a little bit of a clip about that.
Speaker 1: And she gave nope.
Speaker 6: Now, I know she's going to get a lot oft lack especially from YouTube, but as a mom of young children and they're not eight and ten, and I don't think I would do this, But I think it's very easy to judge before you have kids, and especially when you're taking them to a theme park which is crowded. They can run off, they can get lost, they complain, and they win about being tied.
Speaker 5: I say, do what you need to do to survive.
Speaker 3: You go, girl, But seriously, when I was eight and ten years old, I was running like five k cross country runs, Like this is the time when you're supposed to be pretty athletic, pretty mobile. The obesity rate for children in the US is almost twenty percent, and I think pushing your kids when they're perfectly able to walk is kind of just entrenching that thing.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to make her own life easier.
Speaker 1: Again, say you probably can't blame her on that count. While we're speaking about parent or everyone's favorite person, Megan Markel has for some reason or another, decided to share a video on Instagram of her trying to induce labor. Bye twerking and they are.
Speaker 10: Done. Mamma went to sit down on the flat trying to make the money back and honeys from the sw the have a marque, didn't up k and that night rain?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'll come on, come on, get into it. No no, I mean, can they just stop?
Speaker 5: No, clearly they can't. They want privacy.
Speaker 6: And then they released these videos, very carefully timed videos, just showing these intensely private moments where she's about to go into labor. I don't get it. I mean, it was supposed to be a throwback for her daughter's fourth birthday, but yet again, it's all about her.
Speaker 3: The only redeeming thing of that video is Harry has some pretty good moves. I was on a floot press, he was on beat. I loved it. But look, Disney is under fire. Obviously, remember snow White, when snow White became Hispanic.
Speaker 4: They're trying to They clearly haven't learned the lesson.
Speaker 3: Basically, they're doubling down on the weird race plots and cast this time Black Panther, the African American character, is actually white, and fans are outraged. How could Black Panther suddenly become white? This shocking and controversial new twist in the storyline is seriously dividing fans.
Speaker 6: It is based on African American culture, and it's supposed to be Black Panther's son, which I mean genetically speaking, is pretty rare, but I.
Speaker 5: Say go for it. If you can make a spanning exactly.
Speaker 1: What's good for the Goose is good for the game. Thank you for doing us tonight. Coming up and next to Ridy Panther Ship