Speaker 1: Welcome to How Do They Afford That? The podcast that peeks into the financial lives of everyday Australians. I'm Michael Thompson. I'm an author and the co host of the business news podcast Fear and Breed. As always, I'm with Canna Campbell, financial planner, founder of Sugar Maumber TV, the financial literacy platform covering YouTube podcasts, Instagram threads, TikTok and of course, by co author on our upcoming book Twelve Months to Financial Freedom, available for pre order now. Hello, Canna, how are you apprehensive? Why? Because this is one that looks to the future. Today's episode, we're basically we're looking ahead. We're looking specifically five years ahead. Yes, right, we're gazing into the financial crystal ball if such a thing exists, and asking three questions. Right, if nothing changed in your circumstances and in the way that you and your money and all of those kind of things, where would you be if you made small changes to your money, where would you be? And then if you made some big changes, some big overhauls, some big moves, where would you be in five years? What would your money look like? What would your lifestyle look like? What would how much better without without meaning to kind of cast a judgment on this prematurely. How much better would your life be if you took control of your money now and did something. Let us jump straight into it, if you did nothing right in five years, where would you expect to be My default kind of assumption on this would be to say that you'd be in the same position as you are right now. But could you actually go backwards because of inflation and everything?
Speaker 2: Well, assuming nothing's changing, and that's because you're doing nothing and you're continuing to bury your head in the sand, You're quite right, you know you could be going backwards. You know, you look at inflation, think about the cost of living. It's the rising cost of living, thinking about the lifestyle creep, and also all of those missed opportunities. So even if your income stays the same, your money still buys less. So you could very easily be going backwards, and a lot of people are experiencing that right now.
Speaker 1: To be honest, I'm so scared to ask you this because the I'm worried that it will actually cause you to have a medical episode. But doesn't you super kind of just help you out a little bit here, because you don't need to do anything. It's just sitting there in the background. You don't need to do anything. You will be in a better off position in five years even without any action.
Speaker 2: I am very proud of your positive attitude about supernation, so I'd like to acknowledge that. But as I have said in the past, superneration is not going to necessarily completely fix all of your financial problems. It may not be enough. You've also got to remember you can't access your superannuation until you've met a condition of release, which, depending on how old you are right now, you're not going to be able to access You're super for least probably twenty years or so. Yepkay, current legislation which could change you took that very well, Yes, thank you, broadly sensitive to your sensitivities.
Speaker 1: Excellent. We're becoming very nice to each other on this show.
Speaker 2: Give it a minute, we'll be back to the old race.
Speaker 1: Indeed, I think that the point of bringing that up right is that, Okay, your superannuation will hopefully if market conditions are okay, then you'll continue to grow in the background. But the whole point of this is that really, if you get involved and you start making some changes, and you start doing some things, then your position in five years time could be a whole lot better, which leads us into small changes. All right, So we've established a baseline position of if you do nothing to your money right now.
Speaker 2: You're doing I think some people doing the same could actually still be working really hard and being responsible.
Speaker 1: Yeah indeed. But okay, so without being kind of proactive and making some changes to your money, you could either be in the same position that you are now or slightly worse off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, and you'll be feeling crappier inside as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, right, small changes. Then I would like you to give me, say, five small changes that you could make now yep, to your money that would make a difference to your financial position in five years all right.
Speaker 2: So Number one would be setting up a regular savings plan through automation, you know, fifty dollars a week, one hundred dollars people, whatever, you can start, whatever you can safely.
Speaker 1: Afford right now, just start automated.
Speaker 2: Automated yep to take out that friction, remove it, and of course that builds momentum and you know, helps create some really healthy financial habits, the discipline not to spend.
Speaker 1: It it's even fifty bucks a week, right, is two and a half thousand dollars across the year, which is I mean.
Speaker 2: Four years, there's ten thousand dollars. There's a lot of money plus plus interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like that is solid and five that's twelve and a half grand over five years that you did not have unless you start this now.
Speaker 2: And you could even make that an investment plan. If you don't want to do savings, then potentially depending on where you invest, the upside is even bigger.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's number one regular savings.
Speaker 2: Then number two would be reviewing and reducing your budget, So looking at your subscriptions, maybe starting to have a bit of a budget as to how much money you spend at the supermarket. Reviewing your insurance is what you can potentially switch to to save money in looking at all those leaks in the bucket that where money is being wasted that can actually be redirected to something like a simple financial goal.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, and that is a small change, really, isn't it, Because we're not talking about a major overhaul. It's just going, okay, do I need four streaming platforms? Maybe I can get rid of one and then saving yourself twenty bucks a month maybe exactly. Okay, next building up an emergency fund.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I can't remember that off the top of my head, and my apologies for this, but it's something like forty percent of Australians can come up with two thousand dollars in the event of emergency without having to use a credit card or borrow money from the bank or a person. So just having emergency money ideally north of two thousand dollars. But obviously it reduces that emotional stress and anxiety. But it also means that you're not going to be creating new debt in your life. And we've spoken about this before. When you have toxic debt like you know, outstanding by an outplay later or and credit card debt, it can be really impact your mindset and attitude and quite often trigger more and more spending because you think, oh, well it's two thousand dollars, I may as well make it three thousand dollars. You can almost cut up with excuses to get deeper and deeper into debt. So, you know, having emergency money so that you if something happens, you feel financially resilient because you go, wow, Okay, I need new tires. Okay, few, I've got fifteen hundred dollars. What's super very expensive tires. I've got eight hundred dollars saved in my savings. A hound I can fix up and get you into the new tires and get back on the road again. You know, it doesn't impact your life beyond the actual problem.
Speaker 1: Okay, And so that one was kind of linked to the first one. Isn't it that you would potentially do it through a regular savings.
Speaker 2: Absolutely separate savings account nicknamed just start, and even if it starts with one dollar, like it begins and it's nicknames. So every time you log into your internet making you are reminded as to what that is you are working on and why.
Speaker 1: It just gives you so much peace of mind.
Speaker 2: Huge like like I mean, I had to rebuild our family savings, Tom and I together from scratch, and it was like getting started again. It is actually really the breakthrough of stress going Okay, yes it's annoying, but we have to do this, and it's it's a sign of responsibility and financial maturity as well.
Speaker 1: I had to drain how we had to. It was a joint decision to drain our emergency money a while back, and then after that it just sat there just for a few weeks with the grand total of six dollars in it, And every time I logged in, I'm like.
Speaker 2: Oh, no, I know.
Speaker 1: But you start. You just start somewhere, and you exactly and you set.
Speaker 2: Some goals, lots of mini goals, like like going, okay, all right, let's try and get to one thousand dollars by the thirtieth of July. You know, set little mini goals, challenge yourself thinks outside square, but it's you gamified as well, and you check in with each other and talk about it and remind yourself as to what that represents.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, that's number three, number four on this list of small changes that will change your financial position in five years time.
Speaker 2: Just a little extra contributions to your superannuation. Just a little bit here and there, little tinkle here and there, tinkles. No, that's the wrong word.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Then we want to be tinkling into our super a.
Speaker 2: Little tinkle of cash, like you know, just peppering it. No, that's okay, all right, small additional contributions, how about that. We'll just stick to the financial jargon here.
Speaker 1: I'm just not going to say anything. I just love seeing you try and scramble your way out of this. Now, okay, small additional.
Speaker 2: Contributions, So even if it's, for example, salary sacrificing twenty dollars per week, yep, you know that's next on thousand dollars into your Super. And you might you know, qualify for the government's co contribution scheme as well, so you don't need to get to the end of the financial year panic and think, oh, I haven't done this yet, I'm missing my opportunity. But when you've automated it and set it up, you've done it. It's out of you know, it's a box ticked and you can feel really good about yourself.
Speaker 1: And that thousand dollars a year given maybe I don't know how long, maybe thirty years in super that is phenomenal.
Speaker 2: And remember your superinnuation is an investment portfolio that is secured away for your long term benefits, so you know you can afford to safely put in. Keep me in mind that you can't get it back out until you made a condition of release. You are you know, giving yourself a much better opportunity to have a healthier, stronger, more resilient financial future.
Speaker 1: Number five on this list of small changes.
Speaker 2: Educate yourself, you know, just immerse yourself around obviously podcasts and books, but also the people, you know, the people that inspire you, empower you, you know, make you actually feel incredibly curious, and give you the practical steps that'd be like our book as to how to actually apply these principles and ideas and topics in your real life. Like you know, become a bit of an expert on your own personal finances and understanding, you know, even the education of yourself as in what's important to you, what makes you tick, where your value system lies, so that you can build up goals that actually really do mean something and actually connect you and ignite something within you. So you want to go fix your finances? Do you want to improve your financial wellbeing?
Speaker 1: They are five great small changes, thank you, that could actually have massive impact on your money. In five years time. We're going to take a quick break and on the other side we are going to do the big changes. So we've done no change, We've done small changes. Now big changes. Back in a second. Can we are talking today about the five year test where you and your money will be if you make no change, if you make a series of small changes, or if you do some big, chunky, meaty changes that could have a massive effect on where you're at with your money in five years. Of course, these are general information only, and you should seek professional.
Speaker 2: Definitely, not treated product or investment advices or whatsoever. We're just giving you ideas of things to think about it and go and learn more about it, and of course go and see a financial planner and get personal advice so you can set it up correctly for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well said, all right, give us the first one.
Speaker 2: All right, investing, but investing with a bit more.
Speaker 1: Grunt investing with grunt Okay, we've tinkled into our superstment.
Speaker 2: And like you know, dabbled in a bit of maybe micro investing regular savings plans. But let's up the ante. Let's look at investing properly. Let's look at using those savings accounts. If we're lucky enough to have money set aside for savings that doesn't actually have a job, no need or purpose for the next ten years, it's money sitting aside that you know that you should be doing something with. Perhaps now is the time to get that money working for you. That doesn't necessarily mean you drain the whole entire savings account and go and invest the whole amount, but you start using that money, or perhaps you are in a situation where you can safely afford and you understand the risks and how to manage them. A debt recycling strategy where you start, you know, using the equity within your home just to invest and invest elsewhere, so that you don't just wake up one day and go, great, I own my own home and that's it. But you wake up one day go I own my own home, and I also own a six seven figure diversified share portfolio or a string of investment properties because you've used the equity. Is about really upping the ante and getting a lot more serious and committed to the change in improvements you can make by being strategic, proactive and savvy. But of of course it's an education in.
Speaker 1: One way, and I like that because it's scalable as well. Depending on how much money you have spare, how much you're earning, how much you want to commit to this, you can make this as big or as small as you like.
Speaker 2: And that's where a financial planner comes in because they'll say, Okay, you've got this much equity, you've got this much in the savings, we're going to move this through that blah blah blah, and there you're on your way.
Speaker 1: Okay, the second big change, So this is it, Like.
Speaker 2: I say, I'm going to share this anyway, but I am completely aware and sensitive to obviously how things are expensive right now, and this is obviously not going to sincerely go to be available for a lot of people, including myself. But that is aggressively paying down debt, you know, looking at the budget, looking at some cuts you can make, looking at the potential sacrifices, obviously that don't jeopardize your well being of course or your family's well being, but starting to really look at where your money is going and what you can actually do to get ahead financially, Like a mortgage. You know, if you look at the numbers behind a mortgage, the biggest and best impact you could have in saving a huge amount of time and interest is actually in the first five years of a home loan. So if you can be a little bit more aggressive initially, that can really pay off and make a profound impact on how much sooner you'll be mortgage free.
Speaker 1: Wow. And so that aggressively paying down debt. It may not be the mortgage, it might be other, but also be.
Speaker 2: Of course things like car loans, personal loans, credit card debt by now pay later. But we're talking about upping the antiheroes, like we're re turning the volume off here.
Speaker 1: Okay, I like that. All right, that's number two. So we've got invested properly and then aggressively paying down debt and of course the home loan. That could have a massive effect, not just in five years time, but chances are you actually see the greater impact in twenty years time when all of a sudden your mortgage free instead of kind of thirty years.
Speaker 2: And the cool thing about this is you can start to actually see the turning point of go. When you log into your internet banking, you see your mortgage, how an interest you've paid, and go, wow, already the impact of this was already saved me eighty dollars per month in interest. Because I'm making more aggressive repayments, I'm watching the principle come down, so the interest therefore produces as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ripper, Okay, number three, Okay.
Speaker 2: This is I guess comes back to the heart of making things actually happen, and that is obviously having the income to actually increase the mortgage repayments or to start investing. So asking for a pay rise or perhaps looking at you know, seek and just going, hey, well, perhaps I need to look at changing jobs. You know, we all know that the best pay rise has come quite often from changing to do different organizations. So it may be a point of going, all right, I've been the same company that I think I've hit my earning capacity that ceiling. Perhaps I think I need to look at jumping ships if I really want to improve my financial will being, as well as of course my career path and the value that I'm contributing and what I'm learning and where I am up with my training and education and experience, so that you know, maybe it's a pay rise, maybe it's a change in job, and maybe it's actually something on the side. You know, you do some consulting on the side, some freelancing, you know, something that you're interested in, passionate about that can give you that extra money that you can help up the ante with your functial strategy.
Speaker 1: Or committing to the work needed to secure that promotion essentially that kind of educating yourself, expanding your potential so that even if the pay rise isn't happening right now, you're doing the work for next year so that you're getting that promotion, you're getting that increased income. Okay, and then of course if that does generate new or additional revenue, you can then put that into one of the other exactly things that we've talked about. Okay, number four.
Speaker 2: So this is doing a bit of a revamp of your financial system, so looking at the engine, looking at what you're doing, and looking at where you can really improve the efficiency. So reviewing the budget, reviewing the cash flow, reviewing the amount of accounts that you've got and what account is doing and whether it's actually working for you. For a classic is, if you've got say holiday savings, perhaps that holiday savings doesn't sit in an online savings account, but perhaps your restructure and revamping is maybe putting that in the offset account, so it's saving you interest against your home loan, or perhaps it's looking at the money that you've got to set aside and savings for a rainy day that you know you don't actually really need as much in that account. You go, okay, well let's start doing something different with this. Maybe we can invest it, maybe we could use it invest into a side hustle, using that, looking at the whole efficiency as to what is working for you and where you want your money to go and to start growing, and of course like what can you automate? That takes away that list of things to do, So it's very very easy, you know, and doing this on a regular basis goes without saying it's essential, and it allows you to then see even more opportunities and jump on those to improve your own your actual financial trajectory.
Speaker 1: All right, last one, number five, No surprises.
Speaker 2: Here, but you know, looking at some serious superannuation contributions, you know, taking advantage of those legal tax efficiencies that come with super. You know, looking at the underlying assets within your super you know, is your superannuation money invested for the long term? Does it match your risk profile? Is it does it match the appropriate risk profile for where you are at your life cycle and life stage. So looking at you know, the fees that you're paying, whether it's cost effective, whether it's the right superannuation account for you, Looking at projections, so really looking at that where you can actually almost organically grow your wealth but also grow at a more efficient rate by tweaking a little things within the engine to make it work more smoothly and work get your money working for you and growing for you.
Speaker 1: And I suppose it goes without saying that a financial planner is going to really be able to help you with this with kind of projections around superannuation and to kind of model those kinds of things.
Speaker 2: Right, absolutely, yeah, I mean yes, it.
Speaker 1: Goes without saying I don't even know why you're saying it.
Speaker 2: I mean wow, But that's the thing when people see FUNDI plants like, oh wow, this all comes as all comes together. Everything is like interlinked and it has a flow on effect. And you know, the one thing I'll say about I think this particular episode is is it's also it's yes, we're talking about improving a financial wellbeing definitely with making you aware of you if you do nothing and bury your head in the sand versus doing something little then versus doing something big. But we're also it's important we pay attention to how does it make us feel? It is taking the financial stress and pressure off yourself by doing something and getting started is huge So whilst you may not necessarily initially all the amazing improvements in your financial wellbeing, stop and ask yourself, well, Okay, I haven't paid off all that I wanted to, or I haven't built the share portfolio size of what I wanted to. Remember, it's yet, it's a journey. But ask yourself, but how do I feel? How do I feel about my future? Do I feel a little bit more confident? Do I have a little bit more clarity? Do I feel a bit excited about what's going to come next? Once I've achieved that goal? And I can then use that energy and resources to up the ante on my investment plan or my superinuation plan or my savings plan. It's as I said that these are all linked together, but pay attention to how you're feeling.
Speaker 1: That's a very long pause. It's either going to be a good pause or a bad poor No. No, I was actually paying attention to thinking about how someone listening to this or me would look at this list the small chain, regular savings plan, reviewing, reducing budget, building up emergency money, small additional contributions to your super and education, self education around your money, and then the big changes investing properly meaty kind of investing, aggressively paying down debt, asking for a pay rise, or setting yourself up for a new role, revamping your financial system and improving efficiency, and really taking advantage of the superannuation changes as superannuation benefits, the concessions and things that are there that are effectively loopholes that allow you to turbo charge this massive investment that you've got, and the small changes feed into the big changes. Right. But the key at the end of it, this is why I pause. The key is they all just require action. They just require something. And so if we take that base position of where we started, no action, you go backwards. Any other action is going to help you in the long run. Hallelujah. I feel like you have just witnessed a live conversion to your what may be a cult. I mean, you just drunk the kool aid. I certainly have. I'm here, I'm part of the congregation, all right. If we want more information from you, Instagram is the best place to find you.
Speaker 2: The best place Instagram a sugar Mammo TV.
Speaker 1: And you can hear me every day with Sean Aylmer on Fear and Greed business news. You can use Thank you for listening to how do they afford that? Don't forget? As well to pre order a copy of our book. It's coming out in September. It is called Twelve Months to Financial Freedom, just written by us. Yeah to me, Yeah, indeed, I'll put a link in the show notes that's available for pre order anywhere where you were would pre order books. Thank you for your company. Join us again next week