Speaker 1: You are on the air with Jason Lauren Clint here as well. It has just gone seventeen past eight and in the lead up to Opening Round and next week, we're catching up with your favorite footy clubs, the stars behind them and offloading club memberships.
Speaker 2: Today, our next guest is the senior coach for the Carlton Football Club.
Speaker 1: Here's one premiership.
Speaker 2: He's received a Brownlow medal and he's recently started conducting citizens arrests around Melbourne.
Speaker 1: AFL legend Michael Voss, the former citizens.
Speaker 3: Arrest Well he's morning coffee.
Speaker 2: Somebody get this man of Cape players. Welcome to the show, legend, Michaelay, morning.
Speaker 4: Good morning. We're just talking off their I am actually farming out.
Speaker 3: My services to different coffee shops at the moment around security.
Speaker 4: So yeah, just let you know, goodness names.
Speaker 5: People are now employing private security for their street, so you could be roaming the street ready to do citizens arrests at any time.
Speaker 4: Still you're looking good, poss. What are you still hitting the gym a fair bit?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: I try to, but yeah, getting early example for the call through early and then get more work done. Unfortunately, when I turn up for work though, I don't get another chance to do anything else, so unlet's's done before, doesn't happen.
Speaker 5: Do you get in the gym with the players, because I feel like they'd be quite competitive.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I do, but they're slightly different athletes the way I'm built, so they're a little bit more greyhoundish, even though they do have some size about them, but a little bit different. But I don't mind it, Like it's about the only thing I actually do nowadays. I certainly can't run with them, so they beat me up anything out of a out of a phone box, so I tend to stay away from that.
Speaker 5: I mean, the game is different to when you played. Would you have preferred to be a player when you played or now?
Speaker 4: Oh? I wouldn't mind what they get paid now.
Speaker 3: Maybe they certainly get looked after very very well, and it'll only become better, I'm sure. But look, I love the ear. I can't complain. I think any area you're playing you don't take for granted. But yeah, it's certainly special what they have now because the way the game is advertised, the participation, the crowds that you're playing in front of, how they build up every event, it does make it seem that little bit extra special.
Speaker 1: Talking about the game being different thoughts on opening round.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not.
Speaker 3: I haven't been a great fan of it. I mean, obviously, you know, we have a huge shout out to people in Queensland at the moment. There about got my family out there as well at the moment. So hope Mum and Dad and my uncles and cousins and the like are all are all okay. But so obviously your thoughts go to them straight away. But look, I tend to think it's, you know, something that makes us a little bit different is you know that we've got a national game, and I don't see why we don't advertise it in every launch, it in every single state, and everyone's got their own concept. I guess my concept is probably to you know, if we were to play a game in every state, you know, w A, there's two games we can play there, you know, two games we can play in South Australia, two games we get to play in queens the New South Wales and also launching in Victoria.
Speaker 4: And we've got eight ten Victorian teams.
Speaker 3: Eight could go travel to every single state and we could have two games in every state.
Speaker 4: I don't. I think it's very.
Speaker 3: Unique for us in the national game that we can launch it Australia wide.
Speaker 2: And starting with a bang here in Victoria. There's none more traditional or bigger or better than the Tags and the Blues, which is by the way round one.
Speaker 4: It comes around quickly, doesn't it?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: It does.
Speaker 3: And look we we always obviously we took a position that we loved participating what we did last year, but that's how that's our game. We want to be able to launch. It's something really special. When I came here three years ago, all I was spoken about as a Carlton coach was you have to win.
Speaker 1: Round Michael had one years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's been ten years before we'd actually won against the type I think that round one game.
Speaker 6: So I'm a Richmond fan, so I was like.
Speaker 4: We don't care what you do. We don't care what you do.
Speaker 3: You've got to just win round one. And so we won round one and they've got the round two and we had to win the flag.
Speaker 4: It changed very very quickly.
Speaker 1: What's the mood looking like going into twenty twenty five? Is the Blues.
Speaker 3: Yearly really positive? Now we've got high hopes. Lock Boat clubs. I mean, that's it's the season of hope at what preseason is designed to do. And you would have had a lot of AFL people and players and coaches sitting here and say we've had a positive preseason. But it's in the doing now, Like you know, sort of the talk and speculation about where you're going to finish and what you're going to do, it a sort.
Speaker 6: Of finishes a lot of excitement around Culton.
Speaker 5: Like I feel like for the last few years the Blues fans have really been up and about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been peak interest, yeah, and it has its good and bad, But I don't think we'll ever complain about having eighty five thousand people.
Speaker 4: In the stands.
Speaker 6: It's amazing.
Speaker 3: They energize the stadium nothing else. And in the last three years have been a coach of this club of participated in two or three games that have just been the loudest.
Speaker 4: I ever heard and Mountain Full four and just for a moment, you.
Speaker 3: Take a second and you're at the MCG and it's the best stadium in the world, and you can look around and the stadium's absolutely.
Speaker 4: Pas and you've got this noise. It's just reverberating the ground. How can you not love mate?
Speaker 1: We were there yesterday and it was empty, and we felt.
Speaker 5: That we walked out on the field, which you don't get to do very often unless you are an elite athlete, or a football player or a rock star. That's not us, no, nor none of the above. But standing in the middle of the mcg and looking at that stadium, there is no place like it.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: When I was younger, my first seventeen and stood there for the first time when it was empty, and I have.
Speaker 4: Felt the same. It's the same sort of aura and sort of thoughts.
Speaker 3: She's one day I want to be here Grand Final day and I've been able to play, and I was lucky enough to be able.
Speaker 1: We've got to do it. A couple of times I was sorry, we've got We've got to take a quick break. But when we come back, we've got memberships to offload. The countdown is on for Carlton's first bounce of twenty twenty five. He can become a member today from as little as twelve bucks a month. I visit membership dot Carlton Footy Club at dot com dot au. But we've got some memberships to offload plus how good is this a v IP game experience on field experience you can and sick one day or something you can take over No whor thirteen twenty four to ten to score those. We're on the air with Vossy this morning. We'll continue our chat next This morning it's Blue Bagger's day. The coach of Vossi is with us this morning.
Speaker 2: Vossi, we were just talking before the break about Carlton, the energy, the passion that exudes from carlt and supporters. They are the genuine soap opera club in many respects. A couple of great players that we love watching. Sam Walsh. Has he to be okay to play next week?
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely, so he'll train over the next couple of sessions, But no, he's well and truly ready to go fantastic.
Speaker 2: And then Big Charlie Kerner is another one that's on a bit of a fitness cloud.
Speaker 4: Is he okay?
Speaker 3: No, he has a couple of pretty important sessions to get through before we decide what we do there. So yeah, we'll wait and give him every single chance. So I'd still say that he's more unlikely than likely and more ready to go for round two but yeah, we haven't made that call yet. Who knows he comes out today and trains really well over the next couple of days, than he could be right to go.
Speaker 4: He's a crowd favorite. Also, Harry McKay.
Speaker 5: We have one of your team members joining us on the show.
Speaker 6: Very Harry McKay.
Speaker 1: Give us all the what do we need to know?
Speaker 3: He's maintenance, look after him, go easy on him. You've got a good one there, You've got a really good one there.
Speaker 6: We can hit him with all the hard hitting questions.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Get he's got a beautiful little doll and the small dog.
Speaker 3: I know it sort of doesn't suit that well, but at the same time, it's a it's a pretty cute dog. So my my kids absolutely love being able to nurse it and see it and talk about it all the time.
Speaker 4: So that must be cute. I haven't seen it, but.
Speaker 6: We need we need some little tidbits to chat about.
Speaker 5: Chat you just chat read the credit.
Speaker 1: Can you clear up a rumor for me? There was there was a rumor floating around that when they were signing you on that you flew in and you got shoved in the boot of a car and it to be snappy in the stadium or the class to.
Speaker 4: Set past media. Yeah, yes, that is true.
Speaker 3: When I first arrived into the airport, you know, with the media, obviously they find out that you're coming in. I nearly lost a camera guy because he's going backwards and the escalators were going down, and he stepped onto the escalator and tripped backwards and.
Speaker 4: Then fell down the stairs.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, I'm doing this interview and I'm checking on the on the guy.
Speaker 4: So it was it was quite comical.
Speaker 3: And then as I jumped into the car, obviously the media chasing me to find out where the interview was going to be and so and then on the day, so they chased me all the way there. Then on the day brad Leydster said, look, you know it's Carlton and you know you quite new here and there'll be people out the front. Mate, like, I've got a really unusual request. Can you jump in the back of the boot? They put you in the boot.
Speaker 4: So I jumped at.
Speaker 3: The boot and at the back of Carlton there's these speed humps.
Speaker 4: And so I was I was not prepared.
Speaker 3: So I'm sort of sitting there driving, sort of thinking, and then Brad's gone over the first but I've hit my head on the on the top. I think I've half knocked myself out with concussion, so I.
Speaker 4: Can't remember I got the job or not. I just turned up on I just turned up on Tuesday.
Speaker 6: To give you the job.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 6: To us sneaking in here.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 2: Actually what's it like as senior coach of the cart And Footy Club? Though must be a great honor.
Speaker 4: It's an incredible ho her.
Speaker 3: It's being a supporter as a young kid of Carlton and being able to sort of see the legends of the game. And then I got a met I've had kid like, you know, sort of moments where I've sort of seen Wayte Johnson and Wayne Harms and Kenny Hunter, and I've married for CARLD and my pot was huge cart fan, so that's how I end up CARLT and supporter, and I just love watching.
Speaker 4: All of them, so they're my idols.
Speaker 3: And then all of a sudden, I'm sort of within the club and trying to be this professional coach and sort of you know, acting all serious and saying I've got a message, and then.
Speaker 4: My heroes are walking through with the door.
Speaker 3: It's like and then I got the one photo want which I was in between Wayne Johnson and Kenny Hunter, and I was like, right, no matter what happens from here, a nice moment.
Speaker 4: It's pretty special for me.
Speaker 5: I'd love to see the Blues and I'd also love to be at that party online on straight.
Speaker 6: Win the Premiership is here.
Speaker 1: Hey, we'll get a lot of calls, some blue bags. Jenny and her Son are on the line morning Jenny. Hello, you're on the line with any thoughts.
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Is Charlie Turner going to play the first round?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Everyone keeps asking me that question. I'll let you know in about three days, so don't keep down.
Speaker 4: I can't tell you right now.
Speaker 2: So maybe yeah, it's Charlie Kurner, your favorite player, my favorite.
Speaker 5: Please Adam sad Charlie.
Speaker 1: He just quickly on injuries and whether you're playing or not. Has the mood changed after sort of what happened with track for Traca last year when he went back out and played n that was that day. Was very surprised.
Speaker 3: No, I think it's such an unusual situation how that unfolded, So it's certainly not the norm. And you know, I think even if Melbourne looked back on. There's a heap of things they would do different, clearly, but but no, we're you know, we're really lucky. I think from a football wide, a FL wide, we have access to some of the best best doctors and best medical practice in the world, so, you know, and we're making decisions all the time about players and their you know, their health and can they can playing on and can't they and you know, so they're making thousands of decisions all the time. So I don't suppose we're going to get one hundred percent of them right, But but I think our players are in great hands, really good hands.
Speaker 1: Well, make good luck for the year ahead. Thank you, and.
Speaker 6: We can't wait to have Harry in here.
Speaker 4: Dog. Thanks again.
Speaker 6: Up feeling good on Nober one hundred. Jason Lauren on socials