Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Friday, June nineteen, twenty twenty six. Brittany Higgins has failed to account for more than one million dollars of the two point four million she received in a Commonwealth compensation payout. That's the finding of a trustee in bankruptcy who says there's virtually nothing left of her payout. That's an exclusive live now at the Australian dot com dot au. It's the four hundred and seventy five million dollar backflip that might make things worse. After the most bruising five weeks of his prime ministership, Anthony Albanezi has announced four big and very complicated changes to the controversial capital gains tax and death tax measures in the budget. But will it be enough to quell the fury of young investors and entrepreneurs who feel the governments let them down. Greg Brown is here in just a moment, we.
Speaker 2: Back Australian small businesses and the important role that they play in Australia. It's always contested, it's always contentious, but it will be worth it, and genuine reform is often difficult but it's the right thing to do, done for the right reasons.
Speaker 1: Greg Brown is The Australian's chief political correspondent, and Greg will we expecting Anthony Albanezi and Jin Chalmers to stand up on Thursday morning and make what seems to be a pretty big backdown.
Speaker 3: We didn't expect this to come quite this early. There was a little bit of scuttle by round that maybe they'd look to do some of it in the next sitting fortnite to try and allay some of the criticisms, particularly in business, that they're trying to ram through this CGT legislation before they strike deals on concessions. But they have gone further than expected with their concessions.
Speaker 1: The budget was five weeks ago. It's been a nightmare five weeks for the government to try to deal with what I guess they would say has been the misrepresentation of their quite reasonable changes. The anger that they've been dealing with in communities has been significant, and of course they're dealing with the rise of One Nation, which, as you and I have discussed previously on the front, has coincided with the release of this budget. How much is Pauline Hanson able to claim credit for these changes that we're seeing today.
Speaker 3: Well, Pauline Hanson certainly seemed to loom large in Anthony Alberze's press conference on Thursday morning.
Speaker 2: Well, I have a view which is consistent that I think that one nation do not present alterns. I didn't hear anything about costs of living.
Speaker 3: She made her first ever appearance at the National Press Club on Wednesday, and you'd have to say, by any measure, it was a political success.
Speaker 4: My overriding concern, and that of the people I talk to, is that politicians today are good at talking but not listening. They will do anything to get your vote, but when that has been achieved, the voter is ignored.
Speaker 3: They're the two words Anthony Alberezi can't escape at the moment, Pauline Hansen. He was announcing big changes to what was proposed in the budget, and the questions were framed around what are you going to do to try and win back support. Some of these changes are exactly what business was calling for. For example, they've lifted quite considerably the existing exemptions and concessions small businesses receive. They've lifted that threshold of what is considered a small business from two million dollars to businesses with a turnover of ten million. That's quite a win for business. But don't expect many of the business groups to be saying that this is enough. They're all now saying this is good, but we want more.
Speaker 1: Two million dollars does not seem like a lot in the turnoil of any business really in twenty twenty six, Greg, do you think the government got that role had a lack of understanding about what a small business actually is in this day and age.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's exactly right, Claire. And that threshold had not changed for many years as well, so it was really a common sense move that they were dragged kicking and screaming to. To be quite frank, they've also put out a discussion paper for an effective carve out of the new CGT regime for startups. There's still a bit more work to do on that. That will not be included in the bill that the government tries to ram through in the Senate in the next sitting period, but the indicating that for businesses with a turnover of up to fifty million that started from nothing and are in their first ten years of operation, they will go under the old system of the fifty percent discount for the CGT and that goes for investors in those businesses as well.
Speaker 1: They use this phrase in the press conference. That really caught my attention was innovative businesses.
Speaker 3: Innovative business CGT concession. These would provide a fit.
Speaker 1: I think most businesses would say they're being innovative, whether they're running a headdressing salon or a trucking fleet, especially now in the age of AI when everyone is trying to use these new productivity tools to make a living. So I mean, what is an innovative business? Are we talking here just about tech?
Speaker 3: It really remains to be seen. There is a greater risk within the tech sector of people going offshore. But it's not just tech. It's also companies that work on innovative solutions for other industries, such as tech solutions for the financial sector or the medical sector, et cetera. The discussion paper does talk about the need for these businesses to prove that they can be scalable and achieve really high levels of commercialization, So it will be targeted more around by those definitions. It will favor the tech startups where it lands will be fascinating because if they go too narrow that will be very contentious. They'll be accused of favoring certain sectors. However, they've already backflipped. We'll be told very firmly in the past few weeks that they're looking at narrow carveouts for only small firms within the tech sector, and now they've done something bigger for small business more generally.
Speaker 1: The accusation that the government was bringing in a death tax has clearly spooked this government and we've seen Anthony Albanezi seeming very wounded and cabinet ministers going on breakfast television trying to explain what testamentary trusts were.
Speaker 2: Twenty thousand discretionary trusts, but not testamentary trusts, not testimentary.
Speaker 1: Trust I've certainly learned a lot about what a testamentary trust is greet that I didn't know before. What is the change that they're here? And do you think this is an admission that it was a terrible idea in the first place?
Speaker 3: Well, this was just one oh one. I mean as soon as this appeared on the front page of The Australian a couple of days after the budget by James Kirby, and the story was that if you're receiving an inheritance from a discretionary testametry trust, you'll be paying higher taxes. Now, it's not that hard for your political opponents to frame that as an effective death tax. So when this came out, they were like, oh, no, it's rubbish. We've got no death taxes, no death taxes, and it was just an obvious one just to kill it straight away, But they sort of let it run for a bit, and they did indicate a couple of weeks ago that they'd be looking at changing it possibly, and now they've an outstate would So if you receive your inheritance from any testamentary trust, you will not be taxed at the minimum thirty percent rate. That's just common sense politically. I mean, we've seen how this plays out in campaigns, the prospect of a death tax. In twenty nineteen, the Labor Party, when they went to the election, they had nothing resembling a death tax. Testamentary taxes trusts were completely carve out of their increasing taxes on trusts, and there were still underground campaigns that were very successful accusing them of having a secret death tax. So it was quite a political miscalculation to include testamentary trust within the framework of this.
Speaker 1: In the first place, there's two ways to look at this past five weeks from a political point of view. Greed one is that in two years time, when we're finally going to an election, we'll barely remember that there was a five week period after the twenty twenty six budget when everything kind of went custard for Anthony Albineasi. The other way to look at it is that this has been an absolute disaster and that he's given away valuable time and airspace to pull in Hanson and he'll never get that back. What's your take on it, And to be fair, I'm putting you on the spot here.
Speaker 3: Well, the specific announcement on Thursday about the carveouts was a bit of a no brainer considering the pressure dar under. They needed to do this at the very least, and they're going to be phace calls to do far far more. But I think more generally, the problem with this budget is the views of the government within the community could be set in stone before the government has a chance to turn them around, and once that happens, you're in trouble. And this is why the fire of the liar slogan has stuck because they broke fundamental election promises. Can you rule out any changes to negative deering and capital gains tasts?
Speaker 2: How hard is it? For the fiftieth time.
Speaker 3: It was pretty sketchy what they did. They went to an election saying they weren't going to do these things, and then they win this massive majority. They have a friendly state where they know they'd probably be able to get in these sort of taxes, they'd be able to get them through the parliament. So first budget up, bang, they do it without really making a case for it. And not only that they did it without unfailing equivalent income tax cuts or company tax cuts. So the problem, Claire could be that not only will there be a community view setting that Anthony Albanezi is a liar, which is very damaging, there could also be another view setting that this government is all about raising taxes. Now the government is indicating that they've got more income tax cuts planned ahead of the next election, but the problem for them is if the community mindset is that this government is just all about raising tax and that really firms and then they come in before the election with brand new tax cuts, then maybe it will be too late to change people's minds, or even to.
Speaker 1: Get them to believe that they're going to really do it, you know exactly. I was really interested in the wake of this budget. I really learned something about who was investing and who was negative gearing. I met a young woman, a hairdresser married to a plumber, who was furious about the changes. And this was kind of her political awakening because she not being able to buy a house in Sydney because the housing market is so bad, had invested in three negatively geared properties in regional towns. She was absolutely furious. I suspect that the government didn't expect that she was the kind of person who would be angry. We're not talking though about negative gearing today in these changes. Is the government going to hold the line on that despite that fury that's out there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that hold the line on negative gearing, Claire. It's interesting because in twenty nineteen the debate was all about negative gearing. Bill Shorten had a CGT policy not dissimilar to this governments, where he was going to have the fifty percent discount to twenty five percent for all assets. But back then that sort of went under the Ray day. It was all about what negative gearing would do to the housing market, whereas the COVID boom has happened since then. I think now there is more community support for acting to lower the growth of housing prices, even though it was blatantly broken promise, and I think you'd have to say they probably should have foreshadowed it and then taken it to an election. But that part has been less contentious than what they've done with applying a CGT change, changing the regime for all assets, not just housing investment. It's made a lot of people in the business community wonder why they're doing it, and also a lot of young people wonder why they can't avail the same investment discounts as what their parents did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're in the age of the side hustle now, aren't we. These smart young people who might be negatively gearing investment properties, or they might be starting a business or investing in some shares with their money precisely because of their frustration with those traditional pathways that their parents used to get a house. Do you think the government didn't quite get that those are actually the people who were going to be the most annoyed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think there was a fair bit of Hubra Senate. I think that they believed that the coalition was so shot to pieces that they get away with it. They didn't, I think, foreshadow that one nation would be a true threat to them as an alternative government. There's still a long way to play out before that is established. By the way, they've only been ahead in one newspole so far. But they would have expected the controversy to be among people who already had wealth. I don't think they would have anticipated that it would be so unpopular among young people who were maybe just starting to build their share portfolio, or who didn't have investments yet but wanted to one day. The other interesting aspect of this debate, Claire, has been the grandfathering aspect, which again in twenty nineteen, nobody spoke about grandfathering. It just seemed like it was a done thing. Whereas now, because they're selling this budget through an intergenerational lens, I think this is why this has been such an issue. All that's happened is young people have gone, well, the boomers can still receive these benefits, but I won't be able to. So how is this intergenerational fairness? And it's been interesting because this intergenerational fairness argument only really works if they were able to deliver massive income tax cuts with it, and they couldn't do it because they banked a lot of it, and quite frankly, they would need other revenue to really make income tax cuts worth it, like big ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and maybe they just didn't want to do it at.
Speaker 3: All exactly, and that might be one reason why. I've also certainly declared over the past week or so, they've been shifting the narrative on the budget from intergenerational equity to the old class war approach, which is where I've seen Jim Chalmers come out and have a go at Angus Taylor for being born wealthy. I mean, you wouldn't have seen language like that even six weeks ago. And we're seeing Anthony Albanezi talk about Paul and Hanson receiving planes from billionaires, and we've seen Wayne swanseay they need to not be centrist, they need to talk like the working class and deliver for them unashamedly. So there has been given. The intergenerational argument has fallen flat and has not resonated. The government is increasingly shifting its argument to a fairness and a class war well.
Speaker 1: I'm sure it won't be the last time we talk about it. Thanks so much, Greg for being on the show.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Claire.
Speaker 1: Greg Brown is The Australian's chief political correspondent. You can check out all the analysis and reporting from our experts right now at the Australian dot com dot au