Speaker 1: So we're.
Speaker 2: Okay. It's Choice of N on the Mattie Roe OZ.
Speaker 1: Music Show, and he is co hosting the show with me tonight. I'm trying to stay cool come collected tonight, but you know what, I'm freaking out a bit. I've been a massive fan of Choice of Arms for honestly over a decade now. I used to watch all of his YouTube videos. So then the very first album, Blue Neighborhood in twenty fifteen, I was obsessed with this. It went top forty on the Billboard Charts, to then album number two Blue which gave us this banger. And just when you thought Choice of Arn can't possibly get any better, he puts out album number.
Speaker 2: Three, Pop Perfection.
Speaker 3: It's so good.
Speaker 1: It's so good in his own words, Something to give each Other is the new album from Choy Savon, which is out now and joining me next choice of Arn to take over the OZ Music Show. We'll get on all of his favorite songs from the album. Let's talk about Melbourne life where he's living now and the very first song from the album, track number one, is a hot, sweaty club anthem Rush with Choice of var next on Nova. We have waited five years in between albums from Troy Savonn, but he is back with a brand new one and he takes over the show tonight.
Speaker 2: Hey, it's choice on the Maddie ro Oz Music Show.
Speaker 1: Something to give each other is the brand new album. It's out now. Congrats on it all and thanks for jumping on tonight.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me. It is so good to have you. I'm so good.
Speaker 1: How are you?
Speaker 2: How's live?
Speaker 1: How's Melbourne life?
Speaker 2: I should ask?
Speaker 1: I missed that place. I grew up there and you've made that your hometown. Now what's it like down there at the moment?
Speaker 2: I mean, did you leave? I love Melbourne.
Speaker 3: I feel definitely the most like myself when I'm there. All my friends are there, my family's there.
Speaker 2: I ride my bike.
Speaker 3: I don't have a car there, so I'm just like on my bike walking around and it's yeah, it's like heaven.
Speaker 1: Does that mean you stay in the Carlton bubble? Because I know your three story houses in Carlton? So do you stick to the locals know you there?
Speaker 2: Oh? For sure?
Speaker 1: They see Troy on his little bike.
Speaker 2: Yep, laughing at me on my bike.
Speaker 1: Do you have the basket at the front?
Speaker 3: No, I had a basket on the back and then it was like embarrassing, so I took it off. Now I just carry a bag and I just like put as much stuff as I can in the bag.
Speaker 1: I can tell from listening back to all of these album tracks, Troy, that you are really in your clubbing party era. Where's choice of IM like to go out?
Speaker 3: To be honest, I actually haven't been. I haven't been like clubbing in a while. I really like a wine bar. I love a wine bar, and if I am.
Speaker 2: Going to go like out out, it's probably out on Smith Street. Yeah it yeah, of course.
Speaker 1: And you know what, if you walked in in the last couple of months, you probably would have heard Rush playing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I haven't heard it like because I haven't been since the song came out. I haven't heard it in Australia in a club setting yet.
Speaker 2: So that's definitely something that I want to do before I leave.
Speaker 1: Oh, of course you have to now that the album is out, Troy, I'm sure you've lived with these songs for so long now listening back, what's your favorite song from the album.
Speaker 3: My favorite song of the album is one of your girls. It's called I'm just really proud of it. It's like it was kind of this big conversation that I was having with myself basically, you know, it was just like it was a complicated situation that I didn't really know how to talk about, and to try and kind of get all of those layers of a story into a three minute pop song is difficult, and so when we did it was I was just really really happy and I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Listening to these lyrics, I can tell it's about crushing on a straight boy. And you know what, I really love that Max Martin producing Legend, has added a synth Lie to this chorus. Didn't even ask for a credit either, What a legend. It must have been really cool to work with Charlie. She's written some amazing songs for other artists. Have there ever been songs pitched to you, Troy that you have said no to but have ended up being like massive hits.
Speaker 3: I've definitely had songs pitched to me and then later heard them by the final artists. I'm trying to think of an example. I also don't want to put anyone on blast because sometimes people lie and say that they wrote the song. And so now if I say that it was a pitch song, then they're going to get in trouble.
Speaker 1: So or sometimes artists jump on and like tweak lyrics and tweak melodies to suit themselves.
Speaker 3: So but sometimes I've heard the demo and the demo is exactly the same as the final version.
Speaker 2: So you can tell me.
Speaker 1: I won't tell anyone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, off air, I'll let you know. But no, I mean, there's nothing wrong with that though.
Speaker 3: That's the thing, like I think, you know, I love songwriting, and I think it's probably my biggest passion of everything. But at the same time, there are some artists who don't write, and their artistry is their voice and the mormans that like they're the only person in the world who could deliver that song in that way.
Speaker 1: Rihanna is one of them, Beyonce is another. I mean, they do they do right, but they also take on songs and they deliver it so perfectly right.
Speaker 3: I've one hundred percent taken pitch songs. Angel Baby, my song was a pitch song, and then I rewrote.
Speaker 2: The verses and the pre chorus.
Speaker 3: Or maybe the yeah, the verses and the bridge or something like that. But yeah, you know, I've definitely I've definitely done it, so there's not you know.
Speaker 2: I have no qualms with that at all. I actually think it's kind of cool sometimes.
Speaker 1: Obviously this is an Australian music show. I want to know which Australian artist choice of Aarne wants to collab with.
Speaker 3: I am a big fan of this artist called Nick Ward Sick.
Speaker 1: Yes, love Nick.
Speaker 3: I love Nick so much and he is actually on the album as a writer.
Speaker 2: On my album as a writer.
Speaker 3: We went to Sweden together and we wrote on a song called Can't Go Back Baby, and yeah, I just love him.
Speaker 2: I'm like a really big fan, so I would love.
Speaker 1: That and I love that. The album is filled with heaps of big dance bangers, but this is one of the more heartfelt songs on the album. Troy Sevon Can't Go Back Baby from Something to Give each Other. The new album is out now and he's on the show tonight co hosting film.
Speaker 2: Hey It's Choice on the Maddie Roe Oz Music Show.
Speaker 1: This album is truly pop perfection for me. We've heard some incredible songs from the album already. My favorite has to be got Me started.
Speaker 2: Oh nice, okay good?
Speaker 1: How did you work that bag? Raters sample in Did you come in with the do in your head or did it kind of like happen organically or what was the goal with that?
Speaker 3: We wrote the chorus first and like the verses and everything basically except for the sample, and then there was just this sort of blank space in the song and we were talking about what to do with it, and I started to sing the sample into just like the room, kind of as a joke because I was like, there's no way that they're ever going to let us have this, and they're legends and they're Australian.
Speaker 1: And exactly I love that they.
Speaker 2: Let me have it.
Speaker 3: So I think Got Me Started is kind of surprising. Yeah, I think it's it's just sort of like a new kind of feeling for me. I wanted to make like dance music, you know, and Russia's obviously like full blown dance, and then Got Me Started as just like really UK feel that I really like that I haven't done before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's definitely the song on the album that I cannot stop smashing the repeat button before you go, we're both nineteen ninety five babies. I'm twenty eight, you're twenty eight. I feel like I'm taking my career really seriously this year, but I'm also having fun while I'm doing it.
Speaker 2: Do you feel me on that I'm in the same boat.
Speaker 3: I feel like my party euro started at twenty six twenty seven, like I didn't really party that much before and now, to be honest, twenty seven was an awkward age.
Speaker 2: I don't know how you felt, but for me, yes, I felt like that was a random one.
Speaker 1: Like I did just quite a lot. Twenty seven I was like, what is going on? What am I doing with my life? Do I even want to do this anymore? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Exactly twenty five twenty seven, All of a sudden, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: We've skipedches.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we're kind of making up for it.
Speaker 2: Twenty eight. I feel really good about I really like twenty eight.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, it's been the biggest year of your life, right. New albums Something to Give each Other is out now. Thanks for jumping on, can't wait to have you back, and congrats and good luck with everything.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me. What it is is the Manny Roe OZ Music Show.