Speaker 1: From the Skyinging Center. This is Paul Murray live. Albow's in a world of pain. It's all of his own making. With an addiction to the front end of the plane. No giant surprise there. There's a document I want to show you that makes it very clear that he's on the wrong side of the issue. But as this conversation has been taking place and the Prime Minister's trying to blame as always anyone but himself, a new nickname has been born. Airbus Albow. Can take a pause to our new one, upgrade Albow. That's the best way to describe the bloke at the moment, the bloke who doesn't mind not just flying on your dollar, but whether it's his dollar. He thinks an economy ticket should equal first class upgrade Albow. That in a second. But to distract from this upgrade Elbow story that is going to get out of the Prime Minister's control much sooner before this thing is going to be over, the government today decided to distract Now. It largely worked because if you judge the impact of news off the six pm news, most of the six pm news was distracted by the release of a report today that we weren't expecting today, which would make me think it was about changing the subject.
Speaker 2: Poorly prepared, badly executed, and unnecessarily expensive.
Speaker 3: That's the finding of an inquiry into Australia's handling of COVID nineteen.
Speaker 1: A major review into the COVID pandemic, says Australia, like the rest of the world, was ill prepared.
Speaker 4: Australia's COVID nineteen response eroded public trust so deeply people might not accept restrictions like lockdowns during any further crisis.
Speaker 1: All right, the report, well, of course it is a snow job. It's not a proper royal commission. It was intentionally set up by two of the three people being pro much of the system that was put in place. The entire point and reason of this was one last shot in the locker of blame Morrison. Blame Morrison. Now there's a couple of things in this, and I'm not going to get too deep into all of it, but I do want to have respect for people who, of course were affected by other people getting sick, people dying, or the millions of us who had to go through hell for a couple of years there. Well, they got the headlines that they wanted out of it, which was that inquiry founds the stroll out ie the slow rollout of the vaccine cost lives. It also suggested that a significant amount of money had been well in their view, wasted or lost through all of this. But I want to deal with a couple of things here and put them back into context. Now we're supposed to believe that the nature of the vaccine rollout ended up costing lives and therefore blame the government. Well, of course, since twenty twenty one, the extreme majority of Australians are vaccinated. But have a look at the actual number of deaths that have taken place during the height of the pandemic and what I credited as deaths from or with COVID nine nineteen in someone's system when the vaccine didn't exist three hundred and ninety sixty four, twenty one thousand, almost twenty two thousand since Now, this does not mean in any way, shape or form that I am commenting on the vaccine. What I am commenting on is if the headline is the federal government response led to deaths twenty three hundred, well what do we say about now? A couple of years on from that process, when we have now got so used to so many people dying with or from that it doesn't matter anymore. And by that I mean no cause for lockdown all the rest of it. Twenty one almost twenty two thousand people that have died in the years when the vaccine has been in existence. The Treasurer also today tried to do his bid to pretend that the COVID pandemic and the overspending by the Morrison government and Josh Friedenberg was the reason why inflation went nuts in the country. Is the hole that it's in right now.
Speaker 5: Big decisions were taken and big mistakes were made. Those mistakes were costly and they were inflationary.
Speaker 1: Well, guess what we've got the tape from the time when he was the Shadow Treasurer where not only did he agree with every dollar that had been spent, but also demanded some eighty billion dollars more be spent. Remember he even suggested that the Australian taxpayer should bail out or straight up by Virgin Airlines. That when Job Keeper officially ended and they voted the Labour Party by the way for it officially end, that they believed that it should have gone longer, and while it was in existence, it should have been available to more people and been worth more money. So forgive me if I just laugh in the face of the Treasurer today pretending that the big mistakes weren't ones that he wanted to be bigger?
Speaker 6: Should the scolt Morrison admits stration have rescued Virgin Australia, thereby protecting Australian jobs.
Speaker 5: Well, in short, yes, as it stands, if you've got a couple of hundred thousand dollars lying around for a home renovation, you'll be sweet. But if you're a Donata worker or a Virgin Australia worker, then Scott Morrison will leave you out and leave you behind. If the Treasurer was doing everything he can to prevent job losses, he wouldn't be ignoring the plight of something like fifteen thousand workers at Virgin Airlines.
Speaker 1: I mean, seriously, this is them desperately trying to change the story from the story that is going to cause massive problems for the Prime Minister, that being the upgrade elbow story. Okay, so thanks for the report. Should have been a Royal commission. Of course, it didn't really deal with lockdowns. Apart from the idea that people don't like them. Oh, I could tell you that there was very little in the report that the absolute default position under all circumstances, at all times should be that kids go to school. Nothing in and around that. And of course the reason why I believe that the victims of COVID nineteen deserve to be represented at a proper royal commission. As best as I could see, no reference whatsoever to the people who died alone, stories that we told you at the time, stories that we have told you every year since, these stories over and over and over again. And as always a shout out to my mate Mark Jessep, who of course was brave enough to talk about the situation involving his father and his father and many others being put into a position or incredible loneliness was a significant part of their final days on this planet. Unforgivable stuff. But all of that the distraction from the big one today, upgrade elbow. This bloke is in a world of trouble. Okay, Now we're going to see whether he's going to try to find a way out of it. But I think think that his attempts thus far are only digging him deeper. You know the story. But for those that are half paying attention, the story is pretty clear. Here is that he was too close to the former CEO of Cornus, Alan Joyce, that he was buying personal tickets to go on personal flights when at times he was the transport minister of the country. Yet he was being upgraded now upgraded by the way to business and potentially even first class in some situations. All right, now, you and I wouldn't get that opportunity of pay economy, fly business, the idea that Albanize he got it because at the time he was the transport minister. Well as other people have said, it's like a finance minister asking a financial institution for fifty thousand dollars because remember, by giving the seat away, that is money that the company has chosen not to make a decision that very obviously hyper profit focused companies like Quantas do not make. Lightly amazingly, labor party people were sent out there today to try to tell us the Jedi mind trick. Nothing to see here. In fact, Elbow's the victim.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I think this has been a complete pylon on the Prime minister. I mean it's been he's publicly declared very very clearly what he has been gifted, as has other MPs, and I think the pylon from the Coalition really shows that. I think that's something too. If you are in a glasshouse, don't throw stones. We've seen many other MPs declare upgrades, and rightly so they need to declare them. But Peter Dunn's taken up grades. Bridget McKenzie's taken upgrades. You know this is needs to be declared on the public bridge.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no, no, no, no no, don't let them spin out of this one. Just remember, and I'm going to say this one hundred times so it gets into every single person right in the back row as well. Okay, this story isn't necessarily about upgrades. It's definitely about upgrades for somebody who is the minister responsible for the area of government that quantus deals with, that being the Transport Minister. And it's not about the ones that he may well have been automatically given. It is about whether he asked for them or not. The Prime Minister did his best today to try to push this thing away. He's only made it worse.
Speaker 9: The person who is trying to sell a book, and fair enough, I don't see decorations. He's a former Liberal Party staffer for a number of senior members of the Liberal Party, including Joe Hockey and Bruce Baird. I don't see decorations. He as a former Quanas employee. I don't see decorations. In June, just a few months ago, he was a guest him and John Howard, a Liberal Party fundraiser in the electorate of Wentworth.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's be serious. We all know that the book is about quantus. Part of the Counts story is how it was able to use soft power, which is a very polite way of saying access to a lounge where members of the public are not allowed in, or upgrades that mean you fly a little better than you were willing to pay, including for members of your family, and how that has seen that the people who are supposed to be keeping an eye on this company have in some ways been either doing its beating or looking the other way when very obviously there were issues in this company that we have all heard about, dealt with, and anyone who's phone recently live with. So let's get back to the heart of all of this, right, and by the way, if anyone thinks of the author is some sort of Peter Dutton acolyte. Read anything he's ever read written, right, this bloke is not going to be pro dutt't But anyway it's clearly also not pro us, definitely not pro me. Now that said, an extract of his book was available in the Channel nine newspapers over the weekend. He works for the Financial Review. They got part of it. The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age and the Brisbane Times got the better bit. Now let's be very clear what is this story about. The Prime Minister wants to make it seem like, well, I declared everything and everything's the same. Remember, if you are a minister and you ask for a favor, which in this case is thousands of dollars worth of upgrades, it's as red hot as it gets. Three extracts from the book. In July two thousand and nine, when he Albanezi was the Transport Minister in the rud government but traveling in a private capacity, he received an upgrade to business class from Corners from Sydney to Los Angeles return flights. One April twenty ten, he and his son received a ticket upgrade from Sydney to Rome on return flights via the corners partner Emirates. No classes of travel was specified, making it impossible to know the precise monetary value of this gift. But it wouldn't have been sorry, but it would have been in the vicinity of ten thousand dollars. Now again, imagine the Finance Services minister ends up getting a gift of ten thousand dollars from a bank. What would people think again? July two thousand and eleven, third trip, Still Transport Minister Albanizi accepted upgrades from Emirates, traveling unofficially to and from Europe three flights, not as the minister but as the citizen. Yet he gets tens of thousands of dollars worth of gifts from Quantus. Doesn't matter if they are declared or not. It's about whether they were requested on a personal trip to Hawaii. Here we go. We now are in our fourth trip. De seven, twenty nine, twenty twelve, he was upgraded to business class by Quotas from Honolulu to Sydney and again March twenty thirteen. We're now at five trips. Albanzi traveled with Joyce as Quantas as an inaugural flight to Dubai as part of its partnership with Emirates. Cave in earnest Prime Minister tries to pretend that that last flight doesn't count because well, he was just along for the ride, as was the media. Here's where it gets interesting. All of my colleagues have made reference to this tonight. I want to actually show you the text. There is a thing called the Ministerial Code of Ethics. These are put simply the rules under which many question time scandals are prosecuted, and put simply, if you are on the wrong side of these things, then you end up in a world of trouble. Things like the conduct for ministers or their Code of Ethics is things that Anthony Abernezi, as Opposition leader, was more than happy to use as the folkroom to get rid of what he believed to be examples of the Liberal Party breaking the rules.
Speaker 10: An ad man with no plan, a showman covering up a scam, shouty, belligerent, stubborns He believes different standards should apply to him don't apply to other Australians.
Speaker 9: But he is becoming tarnished by his.
Speaker 10: Own hubris, his own arrogance.
Speaker 1: Writ large this week for all to see. Now, every Prime minister has the opportunity to rewrite, amend or start over when it comes to their own Code of Conduct for Ministers. The text that I am about to read you is the Code of Conduct for Ministers that Anthony Abernezi put in place himself upon becoming Prime Minister in twenty twenty two. It has not changed since it is available tonight on the Prime Minister and Cabinets website. The section that we're going to talk about here, and apparently it is no different than previous governments, certainly the Rudd and Gillard governments of which he was the Transport Minister and was asking or still getting the tens of thousands of dollars worth of gifts out of Quantus, the single biggest company in the area that as Transport Minister he was regulating. All right, we'll start here with the overall section which deals with gifts. Don't worry. You don't have to squint or squint for you Section three point one point eight. Ministers in their official capacity may therefore accept customary official gifts, hospitality, tokens of appreciation and similar formal gestures in accordance with the relevant guidelines, but must not seek, repeat, but must not seek or encourage any form of gift in their personal capacity. Of the five flights that we have talked about when he was the Transport Minister, when he was flying personally with his family on holidays overseas, did he get them or did he ask for them? Definitely, if he asked for them, he's in breach. That would mean that a Prime Minister of the day should have sacked him for doing so. The second section also very clear to me that he is on the wrong side of this and he is not going to be able to find a way out of it, and it will be the focus of the rest of this week and Parliament next week. Section three point two one Ministers must not seek or accept any kind of benefit or other valuable consideration, either for themselves or for others, in connection with performing or not performing any element of their ministerial duties. So if he asked quantus, he's in breach of the first section. If he received even with out asking, he's in breach of the second. This would result in the termination of a ministry. Now the Prime Minister is trying to kick up as much dust as possible to make the conversation about did he or did he not text or call or meet Alan Joyce. That's not the point. He could have asked the cleaner. He could have asked his cleaner to ask a quantus cleaner on his behalf. But if he approached anyone anywhere in quantas, he's in breach by receiving those gifts. Even if not asked, he is in breach. He as Opposition leader, would demand the sacking of the relevant minister. He himself should have been sacked by previous prime ministers. This document is from his own website and this is the standard under which presumably he sack his own Transport minister. As for the Prime Minister, pay very close attention to how he answers a very direct question, because while he's already in trouble for the accepting, he's trying to get into the gray area about who was asked, not the company being asked.
Speaker 6: Did you call Alan Joyce personally for these upgrades?
Speaker 9: Look, the idea quanas have a number in terms of bookings that are private bookings and in terms of the only discussions that I can recall with Alan Joyce. Certainly we discussed not through calls. We discussed the first flight from Australia to Dubai on an A three eighty.
Speaker 1: Okkk. See he wants this to be about. Did I call Alan Joyce? Did I text Alan Joyce? No? No, no, no, no no. The second of the examples that he was in breach of five times. According to the book reads, ministers must not seek or accept okay, So if he asked for it, he's in a world of trouble. If he took it, which we know he did, he's in a world of trouble. Now he might want to play word games here. It's a simple thing. Was there an upgrade or not? Five have been proven. Did he ask for it or not? Well, that decides whether he breaks one rule or whether he breaks two rules. Rules that would get any other minister sacked that every opposition, labor or liberal would go after. Again, if this is tens of thousands of dollars worth of benefit, imagine it was the Financial Services Minister asking a bank for something that resulted in tens of thousands of dollars changing hands. Yes, it is that serious. Now the Prime Minister will ultimately believe that he can survive all of this, because of course it is the Prime Minister who decides whether there has been a breach of the code of conduct. The Prime Minister, if he lets himself off the hook, will have openly chosen not to apply the same standard to himself that another prime minister would be expected to apply to all other ministers. Petter Dutton can smell that this one is not ending, despite the fact that the Prime Minister is blaming all in sundry and surprise, surprise, is not taking responsibility for himself.
Speaker 2: Australians now are starting to question the integrity and the truthfulness of their prime minister. They know that they can't get the economy right and now they're seeing a prime minister who can't lie straight in bed.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you upgrade, albow ain't going away. The hope might be that we're going to start talking about the Melbourne Cup, and the hope might be that we're going to start getting distracted by the United States. There are a couple of stages this thing goes, and I think it's going to be a slow Burn Parliament next week. First question, Prime Minister, yes or no? Do you believe that a minister should abide by the Minister's Code of conduct? Yes?
Speaker 7: Or no.
Speaker 1: Second question, do you believe that a minister, if proven to be in breach should lose their job? Yes or no? Those two questions well pretty obvious what the yes is. The no becomes evasive, It becomes obviously trying to set up a double standard. And we know that this bloke may have said that he was from somewhere else, but where he is right now, it's a bloody good view and a very comfortable seat and some free champagne on the way. Pete van Onsalin, writing tonight in the Daily Mail, says the Prime Minister is in a scenario now where he should sack himself. Yes, this story is that significant? Right quickly does some other stuff? Got a great debate coming up in a moment of twos time, look for to Joe Hildebrand trying to explain how all of this doesn't matter again black and white in my view, five breaches of two sections of the ministerial we'll get to that no moment of two's time. Also. Nigel Ferraj on the Show This Morning tonight, Stephen Miles is adjusting to his new life as the incoming opposition leader, and it's very different than any experience he's ever had. In fact, all current members of the Labor Party have never been in opposition, so they are very used to a very comfortable life. People like his chief of staff, who's seen on Saturday night was celebrating the LMP potentially not making it into majority. Well now they are well and truly a majority, so she will be working with a much smaller team this time around. In fact, let's go back to just under the Labor Party's watch, how many people will work for each and every minister personally in their personal office. These numbers pretty extraordinary. About some of the blowout that took place under the Miles government. The Premier thirty seven personal staff, the Minister for Resources ten. Overall two hundred and sixty four personal staff for all of the different ministers. Again, don't worry about squinting bottom of the page, two hundred and sixty four. That is how many they had as personal staff. Now, these were the people who were largely paid by the taxpayer. And we know when it comes to the premiere the very very thin line between party activity and political activity was essentially rubbed out over much of the past ten years. Well, here's a bit of a shock for these people that have never been in opposition. Because many of the ex ministers face a pay up to two hundred thousand dollars, the two hundred and ninety four staff is about to become twenty three, not just for the leader, that's twenty three for the entire opposition. Well that one hundred labor staffers who work across eighteen ministerial portfolios will face the acts, including personal drivers, media managers and policy writers. All surviving ministers, including the opposition leader and his deputy, will be left with a twenty three employees combined. That is why it is so hard to take on the Queensland Labor government. That is why the achievement of the LNP being able to with just twenty three staff slay the dragon and get a majority that with counting still going on, could be as big as Palichets after the pandemic of twenty twenty. Lots of people wrote about this today on the core of Mars website the comments that they decided to publish. Miles will have to cut his sandwiches and pack his own lunch, says Alan, Well done. Steve says, OMG, how are they going to cope? Still overpaid by the sounds of it. No private jets to birthday parties, says Andrew. Remember there was a ten minute private jet that Stephen Miles took so we could go to a birthday party for one of his MPs. It made my day. It's been a great few days, the thought of labor people losing the perose of office. So good to Tazzy where I again want to talk here about beautiful Tasmani, where we only were just a couple of weeks ago. Now they have just a few federal electorates Bass, Bradden, Lions, Franklin and Clark. Now the seat of Bass on the far left held by the Liberals, the seat of Bradden held on the far right by the Labor Party. The seat of Lions, which is the bulk of Tasmania, but he's not a heavily populated part of Tasmani, which is why it's physically bigger, is currently held by the Labor Party, but the Libs probably should have won it in the past, but candidate issues have been one of the reasons why Labor are able to hold onto the seat. And the assumption is that Dutton, should he be getting close to government, has to win, not just Bass but he has to win something else in Tasmania, hopefully Bradden, but theoretically Lions is up for grabs. The any problem is Lions currently has a Labor MP that doesn't plan on going anywhere until today, where the person who has been the Tasmanian Labor Party leader for two elections and lost twice of those elections twice in pretty spectacular circumstances. Rebecca White considered such a star that, despite the fact that she was rejected not once but twice by the people of Tasmania, that she should end up taking over as the potential candidate going into the next election. Now she is from this part of the electorate and this part of Tasmania. But you should have a look here at the numbers. The Labour Party's primary vote the last in this seat was twenty nine percent, just twenty nine percent. The Libs were at thirty seven. That was at an election where the government was being swept from office. Presumably Labour's vote goes down, Presumably the Liberal vote goes up. And I wouldn't be betting it all on Rebecca White because the primary vote in the seat of Lions at the state election, her personal vote was in the twenties the overall party was beaten by the best part of five points. So I don't know what it is about certain people in the Labor Party who they just keep getting the opportunity to fail upwards. But it looks like Rebecca White is about to become the Christina Kanneely of Tasmanian politics. Lose, lose, lose, lose, lose you they try to find a way to keep forcing you on the electorate or pushing you up the slippery pole. Speaking of elections, local government at once have taken place in Victoria. Most notably for us is to see how I make Nicholas reesis doing as the Lord Mayor of Melbourne. Great to see him when we're in our town just a few weeks ago in Springvale. Nicholas, of course was the deputy mayor for many years. He has now become the mayor, and we're very proud of our friend. No matter how often we disagree on Telly, he's a very good and decent man and I believe that he should continue in the position. But let's have a look what the people who actually voted think. Well on primary votes, Nicholas Rees is well and truly leading. The Liberals have dropped out today saying they don't have enough vote. Also, people like Aaron Wood are now out of play. So the assumption is that while he's in the lead right now, he's going to have to get a whole bunch of preferences. You've got to imagine that the Greens might go to Nick unless they've done a deal to go to Labor and then if that many end up going to Anthony Koda Fides, who may will have finished third on primary vote, but he's the not Nick Reese candidate, that there might be a preference game playing there. So pay attention. Lot's happening, state, federal, and even local politics. And I've got all of our fingers in all of those pies, which perhaps is why Paul is such a portly boy. Now let's turn our attention to America. We will be there at the end of the week. I'm very excited. You know how much I've been talking about this election. We all know what its consequences are, we all know how high the stakes are. And as I mentioned to you last night, when Donald Trump had his rally at Madison Square Garden, that in and of itself was an amazing story. But of course the media desperate to try to either make this out to be some sort of Hitler rally, which of course it was not. Well, they focused on the comments of a comedian, a shock comedian who always goes too far while you invite that person to a political event. I don't know, but he decided to turn a story about garbage in Puerto Rico into a joke that Puerto Rico is garbage.
Speaker 11: I don't know if you guys know this, but there's literally a floating island of garbage in the middle of the ocean right now. Yeah, I think it's called Puerto Rico.
Speaker 1: Trump campaign. Straight away, they knew what the lefties would do with all of this, the liberal media would do with this, so they automatically said, look, thanks for the endorsement. We don't associate ourselves with the comments. And while Puerto Rico is not a state but a territory of the United States, it has a very small population. There are plenty of people of Puerto Rican descent who are right across the United States, including three hundred thousand of them that are in Pennsylvania. And we all know Pennsylvania is one of the key swing states hence why the joke is being weaponized, and hence why the Trump campaign is doing everything they can to try to take the blast out of the grenade. For his part, the comedian Tony Hinchcliffe retweeted something on X Today which was that he's really the modern version of the previous insult comic Don Rickles, who performed this at the inauguration of Ronald Reagan all those years ago. First black kid I ever said it will definitely never play basketball. You were standing here with the band with the same Kakami music.
Speaker 4: That's what they're doing Florida. The old Jewish folks hold the elevator.
Speaker 1: Does I think we can all agree that tastes have changed? And obviously you've got to be vigilant because we don't know where the how the media is going to interpret this, just like they did.
Speaker 12: There is fresh backlash against Trump's rally in New York City on Sunday, including from many top Republicans who are distancing themselves from the vile, racist and sexist comments that were made.
Speaker 7: The stuff last night was so over the top, is un believing. We known't how many Puerto Rican voters there are in Pennsylvania. Two hundred and seventy three thousand. This is going to cost This is going to cost your vocus.
Speaker 3: It's worth noting that while we showed you that joke about the pile of garbage that comedian made, he also said something else about Latino voters that I can't play because I know a lot of you are probably at the breakfast table with your little kids, and if we played it, you'd have to shut us off.
Speaker 1: Dunt you lock call this? Oh we cut you have pills, We cut you out pills. But it's really important that Kamala Harris goes and talks to Howard Stern peak a line, right. I mean some super puritanical and offended by everything, or were super offended by some things because they reflect back on Donald Trump. Now, for what it's worth, I completely agree with Megan Kelly that for all of the upside of the rally New York sellout crowd, lots of energy, it was probably over the top.
Speaker 13: It was too grotastic. Okay, it was you're trying to win an election in which you're hamorrhaging female voters. Maybe when you present in front of hundreds of thousands, at least at Madison Square, garden. You clean up the bro talk just a little so you don't alienate women in the middle of America who are already on the fence about Republicans. Do they have no women advising their campaign.
Speaker 1: She's completely correct, completely correct, And all of this matters because if we believe all of the data, this thing is raise a thin and there basically is the majority of women voting for Harris, the majority of blokes VNY for Trump. Have a look at the latest poll from the New York Times that explains that in very clear detail. Now, while it's forty eight forty eight when it comes to men, Trump leads fifty five to forty one. When it's women, it is Harris fifty four to Trump's forty two, Which brings me to another part of this race we should talk about. It's weil and truly good enough for you to bring your team out, but you need, of course voters either from the other team or the team in the middle. As we know, there's the Democratic Party, here's their party at the Democratic National Convention, the Republican National Convention. Of course, was Donald Trump at his convention the DNC. If we can roll that two guys, of course, there are both sides of the aisle here, but there is a third group of people, and these are independents. See in America, you don't just register to vote, you' also register who. Generally you align yourself with Team Red, Team Blue, or the team in the middle Independence and the New York Times poll where Independence were backing Harris by five points, that would make you think or so, if more women vote than men and she's leading with Independence, then maybe Trump's in more trouble than we think. But of course it plays out state by state. Seven swing states that we've spoken about before. Let's go around them like a clock what are called the blue wall traditional places where the Democrats would win of Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania places the Red team normally wins North Carolina, Georgia, Arizona, and then heavily unionized city via Las Vegas in Nevada. According to this, in Arizona, Harris is winning the Independence fifty five to forty five. In Nevada, Trump is winning them forty six to thirty nine. In Wisconsin, Trump is winning them forty nine to forty six. In Michigan, Harris is winning them forty six to forty four. In Pennsylvania, all important Pennsylvania where three hundred thousand Puerto Ricans and who knows how they react to the joke and how the media spins the joke. Forty six percent to forty one or five point lead for Donald Trump. Donald Trump is smashing by eleven points of independence in North Carolina, where Harris is winning in Georgia. So all of that matters, okay. And that's why a little bit of her vote disappearing, a little bit of his vote disappearing, means independence matter more. It's why you've got to overperform, overperform, and then try and take the majority of what's left in the middle. And I'm not talking about undecided. I'm talking about literally millions of people who identify themselves as not red or not blue. Quick break back with more plenty to talk about. All right, Joe, let's talk about upgrade albow Joe Hildebrand next. I won't say I've been looking forward to this, but I've been looking forward to this. Freer Leitch of course from the Vins. His research center is here, no disrespect, but Joe Hildebrand is here as well. Now that Joe is the elbow whisperer, all right, give me the defense for upgrade albow.
Speaker 6: Well, I do have an idea for a new reality TV show where politicians just got doing the most outrageous things that you can possibly imagine, and then you give it to a spin doctor.
Speaker 1: And say, defend this. So tell us why there's nothing to see here. Quite the fact that I in black and white have said five times he's broken.
Speaker 6: There's obviously plenty to see here. The best you can say about it is that it happened a long time ago. To argue semantics, and again, this is the letter rather than the spirit of the law of the MINISTERI or code of conduct. The bit that you cite says, yes, you're not meant to accept that.
Speaker 1: Then it goes on to.
Speaker 6: Say if this related in any way to you performing or not performing duties as minister, now you can of course say, we'll hang on a minute. Does this mean that you know Catherine King, his Transport minister, was under a direction by him to not let Qatar Airways in on these roots.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't think that's a smoking gun that I think he's experiencing the product that you are regulating. It's pretty much where we're beyond great and that's where he is.
Speaker 6: I think, look, it's obviously, certainly it's certainly not a good look for the politically charge for coming to be accepting rituities from that guy.
Speaker 1: He's going to have to sack himself. He's not going to say, well, we all know this, but he's going to be exposed in the next week as been clearly on the wrong size.
Speaker 6: Except and it's already starting to happen. And again this is just yea cynical analysis of the obvious is that they're all in on it, every politician. And you could say, okay, not everyone has solicited them direct from Allen Joyce, so that happened whatever. I totally get that. But already you're seeing labours people throwing out stuff about Darton accepting our grades. I think Bridget McKenzie suddenly found one where she said she'd never done it. And if you look at what happened every time travel roots come up, and it always ends up, it starts with this big sort of furor and then it becomes self extinguishing because it comes pretty clear pretty quickly that everyone's actually in on it. And you look at the last big travel roughts scandal in the first term of the Howard government and that obviously had some really heavy consequences. But again so I don't think. I'm sure the media and the Telly's done some great work on earthing more upgrades and they'll do a great job. But in terms of the ferocity of the opposition going after him, it's going to be muted because it's going to come about straight back up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look, they'll say you took one, you took one, you took one. But of those examples, Barnaby, Joyce and Bridget McKenzie were former transport ministers. Okay, it doesn't matter about Peter Dutton because he wasn't somebody who had ministerial responsibility. Again, ultimately here don't expect the National Corruption Commission to get involved because they don't police the ministerial standards. It's the Prime Minister of the day. And the point is that it's up to the opposition now for to prove that he's going to let himself off.
Speaker 4: The hook, and I think that's right to be honest. The travel wrought issue is kind of a secondary issue. The core problem here is the fact that there seems to be an inappropriate relationship between Anthony Albanesi and Alan Joyce as good friend. Yeah sure, sure, and that that has actually cost average Australians potentially because of that relationship. Katar Airways was blocked from doubling its services to Australia and fairness.
Speaker 1: And service to the lawyers. Obviously the Prime Minister was suggesting nothing of the sort.
Speaker 4: Obviously exactly, but there does seem to be a meeting.
Speaker 1: Get the point you're making.
Speaker 5: It's just.
Speaker 1: A couple of I am. I just don't want the meeting tomorrow. I get it.
Speaker 4: So I think the real question at the heart of this is whether there is an inappropriate relationship between Alan Joyce and Anthony Albanesi and what that has cost taxpayers in terms of flow on decision.
Speaker 1: But also I think that the Prime Minister wants to get it into the relationship between the CEO and the Minister, the Minister or cod of conduct. As I said his cleaner. Prime ministers or minister could have asked the quantus cleaner, hey, can you put in a good The whole point is the entity, all right, So once we're going to try it, so the promises are going to try to make it about this personal. As I said next week. They hope for the Melbourne Cup next week, they hope for the distraction when it comes to Trump. There are other things, so I'll quickly get to it here. Let's talk about the COVID inquiry. There should be a proper royal commission. We've all screamed about why that should be the case. They obviously put it out as a way to change the subject. If you think that Australians only pay attention to the first story on the news, not the second and third, then they got what they wanted today. But what were you most disappointed about today?
Speaker 4: I mean, I think the fact that none of the state premiers have really been held to account over the handling of COVID. I mean, I've spoken to seeing former senior staffers who are in the Prime Minister's office when these decisions were being made. And the two groups of people that were driving the most draconian, senseless restrictions were one, the public servants who really had no idea what they were talking about because we were all operating on limited information. But they were driving this hard line anti freedom, pro lockdown mentality really on very little evidence bace. And then two it was the state premiers, and there was chess beating to see who could be the most draconian, the most pro lockdown premier. And then the fact that one Australian supported this and two none of these premiers or public servants have really been held to account is truly remarkable.
Speaker 1: In fact, that Daniel Andrews gets a little gold medal for services in part to the public health. It's offensive, but it's this thing, though, Joe, where those of us who had this clear eyed understanding were of course drowned out at the time, but also sort of this some vague thing in the report Australians won't cop lockdowns. Well they did, That's the thing is they did, and they rewarded the governments that were doing it while they were doing it. So while today we feel like we're in the majority, I would suggest if there was a lockdown again anytime in the future for new reason, I don't place the full bet the majority of people would punish.
Speaker 6: I think maybe having gone through it, it might be a.
Speaker 1: Bit different, hope.
Speaker 6: And one of the one of the sort of comforting things, if there is one of this official government inquiry, is that it deliberately put the terms of reference, put that state responses that outside the terms of reference, because it's already knew that it would be so damning that it would be damaging to.
Speaker 1: And also this was the last shot in the locker of the it's all Morrison's fault. But as I said, the numbers are literally ten times worse in terms of debts post vaccine, not from the vaccine but our willingness for people to be able to be exposed.
Speaker 6: But that's why I'm going The real insidious thing about this is that this was something. This was a stampede of fear that was started. It started with, for example, parents pulling their kids out of privates, and then kids with parents with kids in public surces hanging on they're taking all their kids out. They mustn't be saying, we've got to take them out. And then then that turned into state governments. Instead of saying no, no, no, they are actually saying, oh, yes, we're going to pretend your imaginary few years are all true and we're going.
Speaker 1: To shut all school. Guys've got to take a break because NAGE Fras is next and the satellite time comes out of my pace, So love to both of you, will see you all again next week Nagefarraj. Next we'll talk about a week to go to the US election and a lot of weird stuff happening in the UK. Were the fort to our chats with Nigel Farrage each and every week. It's the only place you'll se him on as Etilly. He's in London. I'm here in the man Cave, Great Man. A week to go. Finally, it's almost over. The signs are that Trump is almost over the line. But that's what Hillary thought just eight years ago.
Speaker 11: Yeah, the big M is with the Donald and that's what matters. And the big M is hundreds of thousands, millions of simultaneous conversations that take place at the breakfast table, take place in the local bar, take place in the office, and you can see and feel that it's going Trump's way. He's got onto the key issues, the cost of living and the criminal gangs coming over the border, and he's not deviating. We've heard no recent talk of eating cats and dogs or things like that. And he's home. I mean, it's funny, but it doesn't help in a way. The Madison Square Gardens rally look totally extraordinary. I'm going to be there in Scramson for his last rally, I honestly, hand on heart believe I'm ninety percent certain he will win.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about the closing here, right, Harris has gone from vibes to he's a Nazi? All right? I like that Trump has gone from dogs and cats to she broke it. I'll fix it. It needs to be that clear. But the X factor around all of this is, of course, that extraordinary Joe Rogan interview between YouTube and available now on Twitter. Forty two and a half million people have watched it. So if you want to get an insight into how does he talk, how does he think make your decision whether you like it or not. That is an extraordinary amount of people to get to in a weekend. And that's I mean, this only came out on Friday.
Speaker 11: Yeah, extraordinary, and I've listened to all of it. What's good about it is it's not just about the front lines of politics and the political punch ups. It's about who he is. It's about what he loves. I mean, listen to him on boxing, listen to him on UFC. I mean, these are real passions for Donald. He loves this stuff and I think he comes across during that interview as a very considered, actually quite thoughtful human being who clearly loves his family. Now, look, I think the Joe Rogan interview probably is the thing above all that seals the deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean look, and also Harris her plan. I think in the next twenty four hours go back to the same spot that Donald Trump made the speech in and around January sixth, I've seen left wing groups come out in left wing media and say, please shut up about the Nazi stuff, the Hitler stuff. It actually turned people off.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and I mean MSNBC, I mean quite extraordinary that they interspersed coverage Madison Square Gardens with scenes from Nuremberg in the nineteen thirties. I mean, when the level of attack sinks to that depth, you know that the liberal left are losing and none of this is going to win them a single vote. In fact, it reminds me of Hillary back in sixteen when she called Donald's supporters deplorables. Do you remember that, You know, people suddenly had badges made up. I'm a deplorable.
Speaker 10: No.
Speaker 11: I think everything's going the right way. Trump just needs to stay completely focused, stay on track, and above all, he's got to keep smiling. And I thought, you know, the speech he gave in New York the other week, many of the other things he's done, the McDonald stunt. I think when you see the happy side of Trump, the really human side of Trump, I think that makes him a lot more attractive.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 1: Of course, in the UK you don't have state governments, but you have a local government and an awful lot of people Party ID, Labor or Tory. You've made an offer to all of those Tory councilors and there'd be hundreds of them around the UK to come and join Reform. How many do you reckon, will.
Speaker 11: Well, I've just warned, you know, over oney and three hundred of them that next year we have the elections for the English counties that we as and you know a new some would stay upstart past run and are polling well up, and you know we are going to fight those seats. We're going to win a lot of those seats. And some of these people have been good local councilors for decades. They have got huge experience of local government. So I'm saying, guys, we're coming to get you. But if you want to come and join the party, please do so let's see over the next couple of weeks what happens. But I'm certain already I can see.
Speaker 1: That some will. Yeah. I mean also, the reality is, as we've talked about before, you can have millions of votes, but because of the system that they have, nobody can give you preferences, which means you don't win as many seats as your representation across the country. But once you start to get down to the county level, those millions of votes become the majority vote in all of those areas, which is why you can see, here's your choice, Tories. You can get steamrolled or join the club. Yeah.
Speaker 11: Absolutely, and I'm in frankly, you know, we're six months away from there were seven months away from this set of elections. I think reforms prospects are great. And the labor guy, you know, Keir Starmer's personal approval on the day he became Prime Minister was plus eleven. In this morning's poll it's minus thirty eight. Wow, So you've got labor collapsing. The tour is all over the place and there's a great big gap there and I intend to drive straight through it.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll be cheering you on all the best mate, we'll see you again well. From the United States. Thank you make Niger Faraj there in the UK.