Speaker 1: Hi, my boris, and this is straight talk.
Speaker 2: We did stupid shit together, you know, it was riot stabbings. It was rough at one stage, but we'ld congregate down the beach together, surf together, train together. There was that brotherhood and yeah, just have each other's backs.
Speaker 1: John Agaan World straight talk mate.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me Mark Taj Borrow, who you trained as age. Yeah, we traveled around the world for seven years. I was his full time trainer.
Speaker 1: We've touched on birth work, meditation, types of exercise, sleep, nutrition, and hydration. That all gets put together. That's quite a big package for people to digest, especially they're new to this.
Speaker 2: Don't chase perfection because you're not going to get perfection out of all those things. Just be good, that's it. With exercise nutrition, we're looking for longevity. Yeah, and that's what I try and teach.
Speaker 1: John again, World straight talk mate.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Mark a long way out of town like you normally Northern rivers dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, mate, I now reside up at Tweetheads, just on the Tweed River there, so it's beautiful, good place to bring the kids up. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Really happy missus yep, so happily married.
Speaker 2: Not married, but We've got three yeah, yeah, three healthy, happy kids.
Speaker 1: How old are kids?
Speaker 2: I got a four year old daughter Buffy, seven year old daughter Joey, and a nine year old son named Grayson.
Speaker 1: You name your daughter after Robbos, missus.
Speaker 2: It's definitely not. No, there's not too many Buffies around before. Yeah, there's Robbos Williams.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, So why move up to the Northern Rivers? Like, what was and when did that happen?
Speaker 2: I was five years ago. I was living in Ruba in a two bedroom units south of Maruba, and I loved it and we just were seen and how are we going to afford a house because we've got another baby coming, and just looked at the Northern Rivers. Actually we're thinking about Byron around that area, and we just rented a joint up around Northern Rivers and saw a house we really liked and just jumped on it. It was in the middle of COVID, so it was it all worked out really well for some reason. It all happened and happened quick and yeah, stoke with the move.
Speaker 1: So we might just give some context of that because you're living in the Northern Rivers, but you're a Ruber boy Yep, more than a Ruber boy.
Speaker 2: You are Marubra.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're one of the original boys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I grew up, grew up in Ruba and when the boys sort of first sort of the Bra Boys have been for around for a long period of time, but they as we sort of our generation went through the beach then we've really formed the Bra Boys.
Speaker 1: So it wasn't a beach web before it was.
Speaker 2: Yep, definitely who was all surfers and everything, but they weren't as tight. They were as tight as we were. Was organized or was organized? Yeah, probably not as organized. And then yeah, as we grow up, it sort of just evolved into the Bra Boys and we all got the tatters and got in a bit of trouble here and there.
Speaker 1: But what was the saying was my brother's keeper or something like that? As I recall, I mean, there's been a lot of documentaries on this, and you know, of course, lots of discussions about a couple of the dudes in the in the group, I won't say gang, but the group, and some got themselves into trouble and there was some few, let's call it. There's at least one fatality I know of, and lots of speculation around it. Was there a was it like a was it more as like a it sounds a bit soft, but a social club or was it actually was there for a purpose?
Speaker 2: It was a bit of everything. It was a gang at some stage, like we were a gang. We we did stupid shit together where you know, it was riots, stabbings, murders. It was rough at one stage. But then so yeah, you could like we've always denied it, but yeah, it would have been a gang when you look back on it. Then there was that brotherhood where we where we looked out for each other because there's a lot of kids that come from broken families. I didn't had a pretty good family upbringing, but a lot of the blue used to come from broken up bringing up broken families around around the back of Rubra, around Lexington Place, which was rough mate back in the day.
Speaker 1: It was four hous Yeah, yeah, four houso it still is.
Speaker 2: And yeah, so we just would congregate down the beach together, surf together, train together, and that's that's what sort of brought us together. The surf and the training and some of some broken families and yeah, I just have each other's backs and for as long as we possibly could and then yes, we sort of all fell apart at some stage and now we're back together again.
Speaker 1: What period are we talking about now, which will be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, through nineties, nineties, nineties, early two thousands. Yeah, through that, through that period.
Speaker 1: Because I had a lot of people these sort of semi terrified you know, like the B Boys have turned up to a venue or something happened and the B Boys would turn up to the venue because in response to that, and you know, I got being your niece of Suburbs gang. It's not that scary because he expects them to sort of come out from out west somewhere. But you guys, I see stories about some of the you guys training and things like jiu jitsu when jiujits wasn't even heard of. I mean it was, but it wasn't a thing training actually how to fight, how to scrap. Then I see some stories where you turn up at events or a bar or a nightclub or something of that and just take control. And the coppers even have told me stories about once there was a massive conflict between the BRA Boys and the cops in a bar. Did you see much of that stuff? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I saw it all. So some funny only enough. Two Brazilians moved to Rubra probably twenty five years ago and they were both jiu jitsu. One was a ju black belt, Bruno Paro and Alex Prattz who's now one of Rob Whittaker's main jiu jitsu coaches. They moved to Rubra just by coincidence and they both knew jiujitsu really well, so they bought jiu jitsu to Rubra twenty five years ago and we all started then, but the jiu jitsu wasn't even really talked about back then. We saw it on sort of the early days of UFC, those before even.
Speaker 1: USC started, the early MMA days, early MMA.
Speaker 2: Days, like way back when it was cage and no rules and the grace graces had coming in their gees and that's dominating. That's all we knew about it. So we were like, we're so interested in it and like learning and learning a different martial art because we all did a lot of boxing as well. Yeah, and so yeah, that's where it all eventuated from, and then it just grew from there. Yeah. We used to like talking about the police fight that was one of my mates twenty first that was Yeah, that was a shocker, like for both Yeah, Like looking back on it now, like it was just an all in brawl and it was a lot of frustration and anger that come out because the cops were on one level and then the boys were on another level. That was a for Christmas party police Christmas party. Boys were on another level, and it just turned into this massive all in brawl.
Speaker 1: It was always going to happen. There was always going to happen if they were there holding their function, there holding your functions. It was always going to happen.
Speaker 2: It's always going to happen. It was just a bit of a shocker. Whoever booked both both parties on the same night.
Speaker 1: Why did you? Why do I mean you didn't come from a bad you know, upbringing, I mean you lived in rub but why did you join up?
Speaker 2: It was just because I surf there and was a local down the beach and we sort of there was this side of it where we wanted to make the beach safe because the beach was a dangerous place. And there was a side of it where we wanted to make the beach safe for our mums and grandmothers and every sisters. And there was everything that was rapes, there was there was like women. You know, it wasn't a safe place for women and kids to walk around. At some stages. There's a lot of drugs, there's a lot of alcoholism. So the idea of that was to make the play safe. And then it did start to like it went one way so far that it turned into something was way more than just making the play safe. It turned into more of a gang. To be honest, that's how it's sort of that's where it comes.
Speaker 1: From and what killed it off sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Mate. The main thing was prescription drugs, I would say again to be honest, valum of that, valiums and x oxy cotton. Those two the big ones. They were that when they because back in the day, people didn't realize how dangerous they were because I come from over the counter, so you think, oh, yeah, it's from the camas, it can't be that bad. And then it just hit like it was rampant and you didn't even need a prescription. You could go get it off the street for you know, hardly anything. It was cheaper than all the other drugs and alcohol to cheaper than alcohol, cheaper than cocaine, and it tore the boys apart like that. Again, that's to be honest, it was a downfall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and today, do you still have a new contact with the guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely. I'm going to go down the Bay Pub after this and have a couple of beers with the boys and yeah, and they're all dads now, they're all That scene's finished. Yeah, Like it's so good to see, like everyone's got young kids. Was a beautiful place to bring your family up now, yeah, like it's safe and it's it's fucking expensive. Yeah, so mate, it's honestly, like it's probably one of the that's one of the best things to come out of it. It went full circle. Everyone learned their lesson and yeah, the dad's or you know, got families, family men and growing up a bit grown up. Yeah, you crap out of that ship. Yeah you don't need it.
Speaker 1: You don't need that, and the ship off your liver, Like it's the world's not to blame. Yeah, it's you know, we've got to take some responsibility, I guess. And I'm not here preaching to people like I'm the last person to do it, but yeah, but I guess when you're young, it's easy to sort of blame everybody else and then take take things in your own head.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like no one put those pills down anyone's throat but the boys yourselves. So you can't make excuses, but it was a life lesson and just let that know for the younger generations that those drugs aren't safe.
Speaker 1: As long as I've ever known you, and I met you through GINGE originally, and David would have been David's sixty soon and I'm first meet him when he was thirty yep, maybe even a bit younger than that. You've always been in the fitness because you know, he's always been talking about you know, Johnny's doing this. I'm a one period there. You know you were just telling me that you would used to talk about putting your feet on the grass. Yeah, and you're always looking at different things. Where where's that sort of curiosity about I'm not going to talk about training, there's just general health.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I try and keep an open mind on the whole everything that comes through the industry, Like have a crack at it and see what works before I sort of start using it on clients or or giving advice on it, that's for sure. So I give it a crack myself. And yeah, just the whole earthing thing and anything else, like especially for recovery. I'm being on recovery and destressing.
Speaker 1: Because what do I mean distressing.
Speaker 2: Well, I just noticed that if you're in a stress state, it's really hard to lose body fat, and it's really hard to put on the muscle mass because you're stressed and training and everything's another stress on the body. So I always look at ways to recover. So I'm looking at like obviously the basic ones that's breath work, hot like hot cold immersions, and then yeah, earthing, and and now I'm big on just even just lying back on your back and just doing five or ten minutes of meditation a day.
Speaker 1: Is John Gannon talking meditation a day? But a but it's a fair evolution if I just go way way back though, let me just creep back into this, this whole process, because you just covered a lot of ground. Then you've always you said to me, you would be fair to say that you keep up to date with all the latest developments through some sort of structure in terms of your own life and research, Like I mean, what do you what are you accessing before Google? Before what we're talking about now? What were accessing? Say, twenty years ago.
Speaker 2: Twenty years ago, Well, I went over and study with these guys from the States who taught foundation training, and it's what is that it's a postural sort of awareness movement patterns where you can do it no equipment. All you're doing is really engaging in the back of your body. Because these guys are doing it now, I'm trying to sit up straight, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's a conscious it's.
Speaker 2: Conscious consciously sitting up and making sure because if we sit so you so you imagine you're sitting there looking at your device, You're hunched over, your shoulders round forward, your head migrates forward, and you try and take a big breath in that position. It doesn't happen because your sternum's pushed down into your diaphragm. Ribcage doesn't expand properly. But as soon as you sit straight, shoulders back, take a big breath in, you'll access your diaphragm and that nice expansion of the rib cage. So I'm into I'm really into teaching people that side of wellness, like not just strength and conditioning and in the gym and bashing yourself up. I'm looking at like the simpler ways to for the other twenty three hours the day you're out of the gym. How to teach people how to sit, stand, move, breathe. I'm right into that side of it.
Speaker 1: Well, why is it important, then, Johnny, for example, to be able to be able to breathe properly from your belly expanding your diaphram What what?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: Why is anyway?
Speaker 2: Well, if you are in that hunched over a position and you're taking those little shallow chest breaths, your body recognizes that as a stressed out state. Your heart rate lifts up a little and you're you're not breathed, you're not relaxed, you're in that sort of sympathetic state. When you sit up straight and you access diaphragm and breathe it correctly, you go into more of that parasympathetic state and your heart rate all lower, so you're a bit you're relaxed. You're in a bit more of a relaxed state, and that's when you recover because you're in that parasympathetic state. That's the rest digest state that we're looking for. And especially if you are stressed, like you know, there is a lot of stress around the moment. I don't know if you notice, Like obviously financial stress with interest rates, cost of living.
Speaker 1: The deal stress, what's going to well.
Speaker 2: Stress massive one, like who knows it totally, you know, And there's a fair bit of sickness in the community, like Influenza's another big stress on the body. So that's why I'm even now, I'm just noticing with clients and friends and family, just to get down and do five, ten, fifteen, twenty minutes, whatever time you've got, just to get down and do a bit of breath work, lie down, guided meditation, like you've got a headspace app. We've got just easy to YouTube's twenty minutes relaxing relaxside timer. Yeah, that's all that stuff. Yeah, you just get down and just give yourself fifteen, twenty, whatever it is, what time you've got, just try and get into that parasympathetic state and just yeah, destress.
Speaker 1: So maybe I just get you to explain the difference in the sympathetic cita and the parasympathetics set. They're actually are the opposites to what you would expect. They are confused. So the sympathetic state is what it's a stressed outside. So your body is stresses, ye stout, heart.
Speaker 2: Rates, elevated levels are up. You're not. You have shallow upper respiratory breathing. You're not. You're not in that relaxed state. So what I try to do is get people down in the other way, go the other direction, because it's all right to be in that sympathetic state, but not for long periods of time, like we use it to say, competition. You know, you get into that sympathetic state, let's go, I'm reaped up, adrenaline's up, but you need you can't stay at that level for long periods of time because stress is detrimental to your health, like your heart health, your physical health, your mental health. So that's why, especially in the challenges I do, I add a de stress element to one of the foundations of the of the challenge.
Speaker 1: So now let's just talk about so I think most people want to send with the sympathetic state is or most people have experienced that's a cortisol adrenaline, sure breath, panicky, and it can be any it sets you off. Probably most people don't realize, as you just explained, that you can put your body, you can put yourself in a position that your body thinks it's in that stressful position, but just both through posture, bad posture. That's talk about then parasympathetic. Parasympathic is about recovery. And we've never really thought like most people, especially training, it's never really thought about recovery or all were thinking about is training, train, train, more training, do miss out trying to do another training session? Going, I get two in for the day we're going And that's all about stress. That's pretty stress in your body. Let's give us give me a little bit of an understanding about this recovery process from your point of view, Like what are we talking about here is let's just put let's put meditation aside, metal stuff. But what do you mean by recovery?
Speaker 2: So, like like we just spoke about, like when we're in that stressed out states, it's okay, but you need to come back down into that recovery state and it really helps with your sleep patterns. Okay, And there's there's obviously there's different ways to do that. There's hot cold immersions that are really popular at the moment. That's why all those recovery centers are so popular at the moment, which is great. It's it's a really good form of taking inflammation out of the body, which is another stress. You know, when you're inflamed, you hold onto inflammation. So that's if you can bring that down, that's massive and you just add through cold hot cold. You can do whatever protocol you want. You can do three minutes in the cold, two minutes in the hot, whatever suits you. I can't tell people that one. Some people just love doing the saunas, some people just love doing the cold, some people like doing a bit of both. Yeah, that that's a massive one.
Speaker 1: So sort of trying to manage your inflammation inflammation when we train. Yeah, it's information.
Speaker 2: Joints, dehydrated, bit inflamed, So we're looking at hydrating as well.
Speaker 1: What about hydration?
Speaker 2: Then hydration is a massive form of recovery.
Speaker 1: So what would we talk me? So, how do I know if I'm not hydrating?
Speaker 2: This is sounding like I'm a fanatical here, But I get on the scales. I get on the scales a couple of times a day because I know I sit on ninety two kilos. If I go for a surf and have a train, I'll come in back in at ninety kilos. I know I've got to drink two leaves of water to get back up. I know I haven't lost two kilos of fat or muscle. I've lost two kilos of fluid. So I'll could jump on the scales. I'm ninety kilos. I'll drink a liter of water. I'm back up to ninety one. I'll drink another and I just try and balance my hydration like that. It's not a bad way to do it. I had a bit of electrolytes in the water, a bit of potassium, magnesium, and salt. No sugar, no sugar, I don't even I just keep it salty. I don't have no flavoring at all. Some people love flavoring. I just keep it salty and minerally.
Speaker 1: And your body actually ac funally I have that's just full soul. So there too my body. I think, initially, go ah, I can't. I don't want to drink this because you set a puke. But but then your body tells you likes it. It likes to it likes the souldness goodness.
Speaker 2: You dap to it pretty quick.
Speaker 1: That's interesting what you just said about you go for a surf. I know, if like when I was just to have to cut weight. Thank god, those days have to cut weight. I know, I'd always love it when we had the if in the amateurs, you weigh in the morning. You've got to win every morning. But you weigh in the morning. And I said, like the way in the morning, because if I so, it gave a bit at nine o'clock, whatever, ten o'clock. Then I wake up the next morning at say six or seven o'clock. And let's say you go to the bathroom, do that business. Just through that nighttime. You lose a kilo, but just your bodies use it up, and you're breathing and you're sweating, and you a bit dehydrated, and you can I haven't lost any muscle or any battering, and it's just lost flouid water and and a load of water as a killer. That's the usual general rule straight back on exactly the leader water is one killer. Wait, if you've lost one killer weight after a heavy training session, it's not because you lost a killer fat. You lost a killer water. And it's not a bad rule, which means you got to replace it and to replace it with a killer with the leader of water.
Speaker 2: Because you feel like shit, you feel like you've you've run down. You feel fatigued, that's dehydrated.
Speaker 1: Use gloss of clarity in your brain because you've.
Speaker 2: Brained you get a bit of a headache. That's the first line of dehydration.
Speaker 1: Because I watched these I was watching. I've watched fighters or boxing matches all the time, and I was watching the other day. I won't say it is something well known in Australia. I've got to be disappointed with the corner because I noticed that two things. You know, after about round five or six in a pro fight with three minute rounds, your body temperature goes up to about forty forty one degrees, quite dangerous, like if you were a little kid. Every one of your kids temper is forty of yours. To the hospital and you're and you're burning a lot of fluid. And I noticed that they weren't giving putting any ice on his head to cool down his core temperature, and they weren't. He wasn't drinking much water. And I thought of himself, what happens in that situation, especial if you get hit on the chin, like what happens that situation? You start to lose clarity and you can't respond to what's in front of you, so you can't make good decisions. So if I just take that, extrapolate that out into someone who's just a normal person out there who doesn't get up in the morning, drink a looter of water as soon as you get up. You know, I don't mean immediately, but like I start drinking the water instead, they get up to drink cofee. Do I drink yourself anymore? So drink some water before you drink coffee. But that person, if they don't, This happens a lot of times, as you know, a lot of people don't drink and water. Then they go to work, they're trying to make decisions, they've had three coffees. They wonder why they make mistakes. And that's without any training. That's ad a bit of exercise in there. They really dehydrate. So how do you get into your client's head, the ones you train, the ones you look after, how do you get into their head?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Can you change this? Because there's a lifestyle change all these people I mean like drink water. Do you put them on a program?
Speaker 2: I don't. What I do is just so you constantly have a bottle of water with you, going by a good quality water bottle, good stainless steel one carried around with no place. No plastic.
Speaker 1: I'm saying, no plastic.
Speaker 2: Plastic. Even with the BP A free plastic, I forget. I don't trust it, especially if it's in the sun and all that. By a good stainless steel water bottle, you can have it for until you lose it. I've lost a million of them.
Speaker 1: I've got as because I've got so many bottles, and everyone leaves them at the gym.
Speaker 2: I've got a collection of them because everyone runs out on a bit of a high out of the gym, they leave their water bottle. Thatt. But yeah, carry a water with it well at all times. And I find a good quality electrolyte that you like that's got the magnesium, the potassium, and the salt in it. Because you see people say at the end of a marathon when they when they when they lose their coordination and they hit the wall, it's called that all that is is lack of minerals in the body.
Speaker 1: So you sweated it out.
Speaker 2: You've sweated all the minerals out of your body. So the potassium, magnesium, and salt, if they had that, the electrical currents that go through your body. It connects your brains. The little signals that run through through your nervous system. They don't fire because they need they need those minerals as a current to fire, to conduct, to conduct, and they they've gone. It's depleted. So that's why they just turned into jellyfish. They can't stand up. That's exactly why we need to stay hydrated. And that's an extreme.
Speaker 1: There's extreme version, but it doesn't matter. It does affect people. I mean old school guys like I can remember Isaid trainers guy Gary Stemware stumbles and we would go out on Friday. This is what we do Friday. We get on the Friday. We're going to train, train to ass off after work really hard, no no, no hydration, straight to the park, drink ten beers.
Speaker 2: That's old school.
Speaker 1: And then Saturday morning, Sat Day, lunchtime around eleven o'clock, find the hottest part of the day. Anyway, backpack fill full of sand and we used to go for a run. And you wonder why you get fucking injuries like bad news, bad whatever you get, you get, you wonder why, But that was what we used to do, like back in those days, you get we were young, so you sort of get away with it, but still that old school system. So you know, I think what people like you were trying to do is you're trying to bring back some intelligence, some thought process based on science. You're not just making shit up. It's based on science.
Speaker 2: I follow, you know, I've got my people.
Speaker 1: I follow one ye who gives it gives an example, follow.
Speaker 2: Doctor Ronda Patrick. She's she's an American woman and she's clued up on she she breaks she breaks down all the science of all the later.
Speaker 1: Studies about exercise.
Speaker 2: About nutrition, exercise, movement, hydra like sleep, hydration.
Speaker 1: She's really good, doctor Ronda Patrick Patrick.
Speaker 2: Yep, she's she's cool. I just like the way she explains things like I couldn't read a scientific paper to save myself, but she breaks it down really well. Yeah. Her. And then as there's a few others I follow that I posted here up a bit. There's a few other few others I follow, but it's pretty interesting. It just interests me that side of it, and I think it's a way forward because again it comes down to recovery. The better you recover, the better you train. So that's that's the way I look at it as well. Because if you're recovering through hydro hydration through hot cold immersions, the better your next performance is when you train. The more like you're saying, cognitive connection you've got with your body when you train, Because when I'm training someone, I'm not too worried about reps and sets. I'm more thinking about how can I get this person to move better through cognitive sort of movement with intent. So I'm saying, slow down, move with intent, move like think about what you're going to do, like purposeful movement like it's all and it works so much better than just you know, when you see people at the gym and they're just just getting through the reps and sets for the sake of it, there's no thought in what they're doing at all.
Speaker 1: So I mean, you know, we're just saying, if you're going to exercise, have a strategy.
Speaker 2: Have strategy, and move move with purpose like you just said, and intent, and it's more cognitive. You just connect with a movement way better slow it down and then work on speeding it up.
Speaker 1: So when you because obviously about this the other day, I thought, because you know this project, I'm trying to work out how to optimize myself to get one hundre years of age. And I thought of himself, well, I really, Mark, what are you training for? What do you want to achieve with your training? Therefore that should inform you us what type of training I should do. And then I thought of himself, well, you know, when i'm let's say when i'm ninety, if I get there, but if i'm ninety'd be great. If i'm I've either got great grandsons or grandson daughters, whatever. And let's say they're two, and let's say they're weigh twelve kilos. Can I bend down and pick that kid up functionally? So I think to myself, Okay, well Mark, maybe now at my age, now you've got to start training for that day with movement and to exercise that sort of mimics that process because you don't want to be at ninety. Either you can't do it and you're frail, or.
Speaker 2: The parents don't trust you're picking up the baby because.
Speaker 1: So Dad don't do it. Alternately, I do it. I injure myself. And then because once you injure yourself with that age, you're in trouble for a long time, a long time. That's that's hips backs you do a knee and you don't as we're going to hit a back operation or hip operation that in those periods. So you've got to have enough flex and muscle and strength and whatever and body muscle memory, et cetera to be able to do these things. So how important is it for people when you say purpose? Well, how important is for people to sort of actually say, Okay, that's the function I want to be able to do. So I don't really need to go and do girls, I'm not going to be curling the kid. I'm going to be using my Yeah.
Speaker 2: You're going to hinge and you're going to use a nice smooth hippi.
Speaker 1: And what's the right technique? That's it a technique body technique.
Speaker 2: You can get down into a nice deep squat pattern or a nice deep hip hinge. Do you do that? Yeah, you look definitely. And you know what, that is a great motivator what you just mentioned. They've been able to keep up with your future grand your kids, grand kids. That's such a good motivator. Or it is for me, but it is it should be for a everyone.
Speaker 1: But I don't know, But do you find that John, that like when you get to you need is it just a function of say, someone gets to my age, and that's only when we start thinking about it. Because and even you now you know in your fifties, when you were thirty, mate, yeah, a lot of stuff you would have thought about you just I mean when I was with I was just rippetage whatever, and I didn't and I applied that sort of attitude everything I did, work, sport, everything. Now I'm older, do you feel as though we need to start to educate people, at least in our country, educate younger people. And I don't want to be a lecture in anyone, but educate them about the benefits are starting early the thinking process.
Speaker 2: That's a hard person Like you're saying, it's a pretty hard cell to get people in their thirties start thinking about movement when they're sixty.
Speaker 1: You seeing any of this?
Speaker 2: Not really, No, I see it more now with our age, Yeah, definitely, But when you're that age, like you're saying, it's working play hard, bulletproof, which is understandable. Yeah, your bulletproof. You couldn't care what's going to happen to your body in five weeks time. You just want to look good. And saying that vanity is a great motivator as well.
Speaker 1: Totally like, because you're leaner than it used to be. Yeah, if I go back to eight twenty years, I reckon you would have been I don't know, maybe just ten years, ten killers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably five.
Speaker 1: You're much Yeah to put on used to put on muscle, pretty but now you're more lean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm pretty lean.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I try and stay around ninety two. That's like a pretty happy medium for me. But I have to eat to stay at ninety two.
Speaker 1: Could we talk about that then? Eating it's like take my my age example, the amount of food like briefas and gins as you know. And by the way, he gave me enough information to stitch you up.
Speaker 2: He loves it. But I'm not going to do it.
Speaker 1: Okay, but because because Ainy is I'm not doing because I don't want to make him think how good? How good is this? Johnny gets stitched up? So there are some stories I know I'm going to tell you. But anyway, thanks Mane. But Ginjo said to me on SAT. Day, he said, mate, you just got to eat less, And I thought, yeah, but it's relative to the amount of exercise I'm and I don't want to eat less. And get too skinny. Yeah, I don't mean skinny in a bad way. I don't want to be like I'm about eighty five. I want to stay thirty five.
Speaker 2: I can.
Speaker 1: How the fuck can I do it? Though? I mean like it should be taken bro about its like I just don't feel that hungry anymore.
Speaker 2: It's a bit of a tricky one because I agree I don't. I don't like losing going under ninety kilos. I look frail and I look. My people go, you lost weight, You look, you don't look that well. It just doesn't suit me. And I like just holding that weight. So what do you do?
Speaker 1: Like to keep it?
Speaker 2: Definitely do some strength training. Strength I purchase you work to put on lean muscle masks and so that that's resistance training. Resistance training, But what does that mean though?
Speaker 1: Does that mean like trying to bench your best bench? Are you doing three of everything or five? What are you doing? I do?
Speaker 2: If I'm trying to put on lean muscle mass in these challenges I run, I do sort of anywhere from eight to twelve reps four sets and old school basic.
Speaker 1: You probably can't do more than ten reps.
Speaker 2: Ten to twelve reps ten to twelve reps max, and then I always try and pick away. It's pretty simple where the last three reps are getting really tough, right, Okay, those last three reps you're going and you're getting a nice you feel like you're geting the old school pump, the old school burn. That's when I feel like I'm putting on lean muscle.
Speaker 1: Is the reason you want to do eight to ten reps is because that's tearing enough muscle, but without actually tearing too much muscle, but tearing enough so that when you recover, when you muscle recovers, it rebuilds.
Speaker 2: So that REP range is it's a bit up in the air with reps and sets and how many, but I find that REP range is pretty easy to teach. It keeps people sort of accountable, like you get to and you can compare it to your next workout. Even if you go up to sixteen to twenty reps and still get that pump. At the end of sixteen or twenty reps, it's still you're still going to put on lean muscle. So it just depends you can mix up you have to do. I do three to four sets, but sometimes if I don't have much time I love this whole concept of if you haven't got much time still going workout, because you can still go and and do one set and just absolutely blast yourself. Say you do four exercises, one set, go heavier, do twelve reps, but have a good warm up so you don't injure yourself. Obviously, you can go in there and do four exercises twelve reps, but push them to the limit. Like the last two reps you are absolutely struggling. It's still you're still going to put on your body has to adapt to that stimulus and you're going to put on muscle. I guarantee it.
Speaker 1: So when you run, your group's at leak how is it? Sometimes I find it can be a bit overwhelming because yeah, okay, you're going to do some rabic work. You're got to get it on a bike, run a machine or roll or something. You know, And some people recommend you've got to do one hundred and fifty minutes a week going to like, you know, that's the lake. In my case, one hundred and fifteen beats a minute. You could have, you know, forty minutes, and you've got to do that three four times a week. Then you've got to do some resistance work minimum two times a week. There's five days, and then I like to wrestle. If you're doing that three nights a week, all of a sudden, there's no more days. I'm over a day and I'm bugging too. I'm stuffed. So is it best to sort of say, Okay, for this month, I'm going to do I'm just going to wrestle. Next month, I'm going to do resistance of a month after going do Arabic. I mean, how do you do this stuff? Nah?
Speaker 2: Like, I know exactly what you're talking about because I'm on the pretty much the same program. Whereas I think instead of doing so much cardio, I think pulling your reps and sets, making short of rest periods so you're still keeping your heart when you're doing your strength work, you're still keeping your heart rate at about one fifteen, which you just said that's your cardio zone, your own two cardio. So if you can wear a heart rate monitor, do your strength work and go around the gym, it's just a bit more of a circuit. So you're still getting your cardio and you're still putting on lean muscle mass. That's the way i'd treat that because then you don't have to do those extra cardio sessions and you can still wrestle and you're still keeping lean muscle mass on. So that's the way I'd try and cover that, because I know, doing those cardio sets and doing those two weight sessions a week and wrestling you're going to be pretty run down court at our age.
Speaker 1: Well, as I get old, I find it harder to do eat enough, I find it harder to train enough. Like what I think what I used to do, no drama, sleeping enough because I'm exhausted. But like then, but then you've got to work in the middle of all that too. Then you've got to fit working family, and then you've got all your other extended stuff that you've got to do. And what I was just talking to you about then is, like I guess, is tailor making an excise program for someone like you know, getting older? Let me just dial it back. How do you tailor make an exercise training program for, say, someone like Taj Borrow who you trained sports? Was it sports specific training?
Speaker 2: Definitely on the great surface, one of the great surfaces, who never who never won anything, who never won. Yeah, so I worked for for seven years on the we traveled around the world for seven years. Was his full time trainer.
Speaker 1: So had that become about through.
Speaker 2: A mate of ours Sammy McIntosh been on the podcast. Sam was really good mates with Taj and he knew I was training all the Ruba boys and he just liked the style that I was training with because he thought Taj needed a bit of a rocket up he's ass to try and win a world title, just a bit of a bit more motivation, a bit more grit.
Speaker 1: Did he have too much talent?
Speaker 2: I would say that you see that a lot in all sports. You know, the most talented kids are the ones that don't want to do the work. So my job was to come in and obviously train a bit of grit into him, like get him hungry, like want to win. He wanted to win. He's a competitive little bugger, but he just just more grit more like, you know, instead of getting to the end of the comp and going, oh, yeah, I probably could have done better, but and saying, nah, fuck this, I'm going to win this thing. Let's go. So that was sort of my role.
Speaker 1: But but how did how did you tailor make something for him? So because I've had some you know some people someone gain you organized, someone hied my pool and they did look at a twenty five med pill up at the front and you know what film walking underwater rights and which is cool. I was I didn't care, But do you do did you do that sort of stuff? Because he's not going to so big I mean, he's going to he's not going to serve dangerous surf. He's probably going to compete at bells or something that they do.
Speaker 2: Go to a couple of dangerous waves like obviously Pipeline and chop they were both really very dangerous every dangerous waves, which which he sort of he ended up doing really well out at the end of his career out of Chopo and we won a Pipemaster, so he won a pipeline when I was training him. So they were two massive achievements.
Speaker 1: Did you get into your water doing that sort of stuff?
Speaker 2: We did a bit of breath work, but not the rock carrying and all that stuff. We do sort of negative empty lung breath holds. We're getting to exil at the top, so he'd sink to the bottom and just in the water in the wa because it's been in the water is so much different to doing breath work on land. Yeah, because you obviously you think, fuck if I've got to get to the top here, where on land you can go, I'll take a breath here. Yeah, so that's that different sort of stimulus.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but is that control just on that? Is that because you've got me curious now, is that you're talking about sort of being able to control your thoughts?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 1: When you've got no breath left.
Speaker 2: You go down on exactly it. You go down on an empty light. It's got an empty lung. So you'll sink if you know you're not at an empty lung, if you float back to the surface. But if you are, you go, you breathe, exile all you think everything out and your CO two builds up a lot quicker.
Speaker 1: It's a cabonic acids comes quick.
Speaker 2: So you were to try and either find a way in your head to say, listen, you're fine, well you're going to relax. You can either sing a song, you can pitch yourself driving down the highway, you just keep driving to the next whatever it is you want to do. You get down there and you hold that breath.
Speaker 1: And is this in order to mimic what happens to you when you come off your board, for example.
Speaker 2: And can do it. It can make you feel a lot more comfortable on an empty lung going down and just thinking, yeah, I'm all right, I'm all right.
Speaker 1: How long did you got to stay there for?
Speaker 2: Well? It's funny because I do a bit of work with the sharks, with the Carnala sharks these days with FITZI, I'll go down there and do all their recovery stuff and we do that pool work and the boys will start off, because they're not surfers, they'll start off with fifteen seconds and they come to the surface like a torpedo fifteen seconds. They're like, it's that funny watching them, but they adapt to it so quick. By the end of it. They a lot of them can do a minute and a half after doing four rounds on fifteen seconds, thirty seconds, forty five minute, and I'll go to a minute and a half. Yeah, in one in one, like one session, one session.
Speaker 1: And then with Taj so you get him, you do breath work in the water with him. I want to come back to breath work in a moment because I want to picking brains on this. But what what would you get him to do for leth would you get him to resistance work?
Speaker 2: Definitely, wanted to strengthen him up, turn him into Yeah, wanted to create Is.
Speaker 1: He going to do bench press? What are you going? Because I mean the only thing he has to lift himself up when he's standing up on it.
Speaker 2: What sort of the way the way they surfers, tube ride and everything. You need that sort of stability and strength and balance because if part of the wave falls and hit you on the back of the head where you're trying to come out of the barrel, you need that strength and sort of almost like a resilience to combat that is that you're talking about leg strength strength, hip strength strength and the way they do a turn to where they wrap the border around the top of the wave and come back around. It's a lot of leg strength and core. You look at the young guys now, they're so thick in the legs and the hips and the core. So yeah, we did a lot of strength work, like a lot of like and it doesn't have to be heavy squats or heavy dead list. We were doing a lot of single legs stuff and split squads and single leg Romanian dead lifts just to bring that balance element into it as well, and that sort of approprioception around the uncle, knee and hip where he'd get strong in those positions.
Speaker 1: So how did it go with him?
Speaker 2: So did it?
Speaker 1: Did it change his ranking or did it change How did you measure it? I guess for a better way.
Speaker 2: It's hard to measure. We just measured it. Like with his confidence, how does he feel? He felt unbelievable. Yeah, he felt incredible. It was the best he felt in his career. So that was that was a big one, like how he felt, and it gave him confidence, like when you feel when you feel and strong and resilient, you feel confident.
Speaker 1: And who did he have to beat?
Speaker 2: Like who was he was up against? It was a tough run. You know. He had Kelly Slater in his prime. He wanted he had him all through him and Taj had a crazy rivalry. He had Andy Eins before Andy passed away, and then later on he had Mick and Joel. So they were both hum mc fanning and Joel Parkins. So they were crazy boys. Yeah, the Bolt of Boys. They're rich, rich, rich and retired now but they've Yeah, So he had a he had a bit of a hard run. Through those through his career.
Speaker 1: But that's the best people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's that's what you want. You want to be if you've got to win, you've got to beat the best.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So when you're sitting down with him for those sevent year period, that sevent year period I'm touring with him, Yeah, would you say to him, did any stage you have to sort of become his like I don't want to call it mentor, but like help him manage his mind. Definitely, And I'm not feeling good, I'm going to get there.
Speaker 2: The highs and loads of professional sports are huge. Like we'd be on the road for pretty much the whole year. So if you if you go for a bit of a bad run like loosed early in three events in a row, that the whole sort of camp just feels it. Like me, him, his girlfriend, everyone feels a pressure to start doing well again. So there was there was times where I had to sit him down and say, mate, what's going on, Like, what's what's going on up here? Because physically you're fine. And one thing he would do was win an event and be all on a real big high and then come into the next event. Because you have to learn how to win. So winning winning and losing, You've got to learn how to lose. You have to learn how to win because you can be on this super big high and think I've got this and then going to the next event, lose first heat and then the whole thing comes crashing down. I feel like you've got to start again.
Speaker 1: So what what what do you do about in terms of physical exercise for example, that can help you get through that weird period? Yeah, do you do is there something you would prescribe for him, like in terms of physical exercise?
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably give him a good couple of floggins in the gym to get it out of him and point, yeah, this is what we're here for. Like nothing like competing is going to be easy compared to what we're going to do in the gym. Make it really, make it really hard, Say fuck it, let's go like competing, Like you're you're going to look forward to competing after these next couple of gym sessions. That's one way we used to do it. I don't know if it was a perfect way, but that's one way that worked for him. It work for him, That worked for him.
Speaker 1: And how does how does he how do you balance that up though, Like you're on the surfing you know circuit. He had his friend with him, but you're on the surfing circuit. Made like surfing is notorious for good times and the comps over and you're there with all your mates and everybody's doing the best after after parties. How do you manage that? And not you, but how do you? How does he manage that?
Speaker 2: That's that's a good question because there were every place we went to on tour, there'd be a party every night, even before the competition started and during competition. Wow, So it was it like you had to be really care because a couple of the boys did not give a fuck. Were that'd see a free and out and go let's.
Speaker 1: Go and then probably some of those guys could turn up the next thing you go, well, some of them could, and that that put really Andrew John's levee.
Speaker 2: Maybe a couple of people did it really well. It took the pressure off and you're just like, yeah, I'm sweet, let's go. Like half a couple of them did it well. But we had this thing with Taj where if we keep a bit of a social life and keep you know, on, keep not make things boring. We just had this rule. If we went out the night before and had a few beers, we had to be in the gym at seven am the next morning. There was no whissaw butts, So you could go out and party, but you you'd pay for it the next morning. So it sort of rained it in a bit and it kept kept the longevity of his career way longer than I think if we just had a went just party and hope.
Speaker 1: For the best, but you wouldn't party the night before.
Speaker 2: We didn't, but it certainly happened, and then we would have a bit of a let the hair down at the end of the event.
Speaker 1: Hugh said, yeah, after Yeah, the after party.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But even then you have to be on a flight the next day.
Speaker 1: So where does a suger work like? What would just give me a bit of a We.
Speaker 2: Normally start off on the Gold Coast from him and I. We'd start off in yelling Up Is from Western Australia, So we do six weeks. So we'd get there on the third of January, third or fifth of January, and we do six weeks of solid training, surf as much as we could, no alcohol and get him lean and hungry for Snapper because Snapper was his pet event that was Snapper rocks on the Gold Coast this way, Yeah, we come straight back over here.
Speaker 1: Then we go to Bell's beach, so they so you go to Snapper then then when you go to his Bell's Like, how far away between Snapper and Bell's is in terms of time are we talking about between the events?
Speaker 2: Probably have sometimes it just depended on the waiting periods. But sometimes we'd have a week, two weeks, just depends. So basically you're on all the time, on all the time, mate, You going from one to the other. A footy season, yeah, yeah, it's brutal and because you're fly, Like then we'd start Brazil, Portugal, Hawaii, Hawaii was normally at the end of the season back then, and then yeah, Tahiti, Fiji, USA. So we're back and forth, you know, Like we're on the road hard.
Speaker 1: So would you set up his food?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 1: Everything, yep.
Speaker 2: Food. Just try and eat as best we could, Like it was never going to be perfect on the road, but we're just try and find. We got it pretty dialed, like we'd find the locals, farmers, farmers' markets and we'd stay we're here he we could afford to travel pretty comfortably, like we'd stay in nice places. Well, yeah, he was getting paid a fortune back then, so we could really foc He didn't mind spending the money on keeping the longevity of his career. He was like, I'm all for spent another more few more years on tour than getting to a point where I just fall off tour because I'm either broken or unhealthy or sick. So he didn't mind looking after himself and obviously the cost of me being there as well.
Speaker 1: You you just mentioned Craig Fitzgibbon, the coach Coronulla. Do do surfers get as broken? They say something like Fitzy, Like fitz he's got lots of injuries from the impact. Do surfers get that sort of thing?
Speaker 2: Not that bad?
Speaker 1: They do have.
Speaker 2: They do hit their hips, the hips, their hips go. A lot of them have had hip hip replacements. It's normally the back hip. Yeah, so it's a back hip the way they drive out of a turn foot that's at the back of back foot, back foot, the back hipp So Ginger has left hips gone because he's good. He's like an old out station. They're both gone. He's sweet.
Speaker 1: My brother just had hipp version and my brother's on austrains surfing astraight whatever, it's the ginge. My brother's right, he's right, he's a. He's a. He's not a good foot. He just rides a regular surfer in his right foot, right hip, right hip, and he's had his right hip done beginning this year. But now he can't surf a him with his stuff. But that's interesting. I never thought about that because I was thinking myself, he's served on more thannighted. I stopped surfing like it was just too hard to surf locally. I couldn't stand. He kept going, And and you know, I wonder if one of myself is as a genetic, Am I going to get his younger than I? Am? I going to get it in a couple of years time? Thank god?
Speaker 2: Yeah, now I know what it is.
Speaker 1: It could be that you're right.
Speaker 2: It probably was not. I can't say yeah, but that's a that's a big chance. It's his back hip. He's a natural surfer, he's right hip.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Because you'll notice, I saw a funny thing, is I sat talking about hips. I saw a photo with Taj and Joel Parko they're both natural footers and they're standing together. Their left foot was straight, their right foot was but both of them were standing like that with their right foot like that. So it's all their external rotators at the hip that just drawn.
Speaker 1: Bottle and get it to you know, because the foot they step back on the back foot the foot the pushing back back and I know those boxes had hip operations on the back foot. Yeah, that's interesting that like if you do it for too long and anything, I guess anything like that. I just want to you mentioned breath work. So I recently took my senior staff up to my farm and doesn't know or something like that, and I bought in a breath work lady because I thought to give them a new experience. I got onto through robber Trent Robinson, and because Trent likes to try different things like this, and and I it was interesting. So basically I just quickly explained to it if I'm wrong, but basically, you breathe in and our three mouth big breaths. But you do it for quite a long time, it doesn't you don't do it ten times we went for I think about forty five minutes or something like that. But the difference between everybody was amazing. Like one person fell asleep, another person actually started to.
Speaker 2: Cry yep, like people get very emotional.
Speaker 1: In my case, I got, I felt, I felt really, I got really clear head and I started thinking about things I need to do my business. I got, I got really a hell of a clarity, and I felt quite energized. I felt, I felt good. And everybody had different sort of outcomes and I would never thought so just from breathing in and out. Do you do much of that with.
Speaker 2: Your Yeah, there's heaps of it. There's some really good breath coaches up there. Yeah, it's unreal, It's I love it.
Speaker 1: Do you do that's you know, whim half Yeah, guru of it all?
Speaker 2: Do you do you? I have have done, been to a couple of whim seminars over the years. Yeah, and got in the ice after it, but that was years ago. But I I do, I don't really go. I love it and I go to a beautiful place like free drugs, almost like tearing down the arms, tingling your face, go to a different place. It feels amazing.
Speaker 1: But I you do it on your own, you do it with a personation through it.
Speaker 2: I like to be do it guided you get more out of it, I think, because then you don't have to think you're not looking at the stop watch. You've got someone telling you how to do it. I love someone showing me how to do it and different different aspects of it, like you learn from other people, obviously, But yeah, I love it and I get a great experience out of it, and I always feel better than before I started it, feel way better.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, and you mentioned meditation. I sort of had a bit of a riview bit, but yeah, just I know there's lots of apps around that you can use. Why is meditation? How is it that it's become so acceptable more accepted? Once upon time it's all about whoo people doing it? They basically up and viron or wherever. Well they're sitting on a mountain and to bed or something, or there are monks, but meditation has form part of it. I do it every day, and even if I need do five minutes, it's okay. And even if I just I can't do it properly, I still try to do it because I think it obviously, But why do you think meditation has become so acceptable today? It's really necessary.
Speaker 2: Definitely because of mental health. I think there's so much we're so much more aware of mental health these days, and we're so much more like I don't know if there's a lot more of it in society, but where people are more open about speaking about it. So I think it's more acceptable to meditate because if that helps your mental health, then why not accept it.
Speaker 1: And it's acceptable to have a problem with mental health or recognize you recognize.
Speaker 2: About it and talk about it and then go and do your whatever it is that suits you, like I've got. You see a lot of online people saying, oh, look at these blokes doing heavy dead list. It's bad for their back. But I know mates that suffer from a little bit of mental healthy're not too bad. But they'll get in the gym, put their headphones on and lift heavy weights, and the mental health they feel so much better when they walk out of the gym. So there's no What I'm saying is there's no right and wrong with what people should be exercising or the way they do things, because they might be doing it for their mental health, that they might have found a way that clears their head and makes them feel resilient when they walk out of whatever they're doing the gym meditation, So why sit there and judge what they're doing when you don't know it could be for their mental health. And that's why that's getting back to the question. That's why I think meditation is so acceptable these days.
Speaker 1: So in your training programs that you put together for your clients, we've touched on breath work, we've touched on meditation, we've touched on types of exercise. You've talked about sleep, and you talked about nutrition intuition. You have food and hydration really important. Because we talk about doing the right food. You've got to talk about drinking the rent amount of water or whatever the case may be. But whatever it is you're drinking, electrolytes and stuff. That all gets put together. That's a quite a big package for people to digest, especially they're new to this. If it's not their goal, they're fifty a bit able to wait what may be or were maybe the individual is a sports person before it hasn't really done anything. They've gone to the doctor, doctor's done a blood test. They said, listen to your chlestuous to ailh blah blah blah, you're going to lose weight. What did dexter. You know you're out of shape, you've got a bit of visceral fat. Whatever. How did they take it when you first put it to them? Is it a shock?
Speaker 2: What the way I explained to them, you can say you get this visualization when someone says so. By the way I explain, it's a whole holy stick, wheel, sleep, nutrition, hydration. But everything comes together in a wheel. You take out one of those pieces, the wheel starts to spin a little worse. Take out two, three, the wheel falls apart, spins like shit. So the way I explain it is, don't chase perfection because you're not going to get perfection out of all of those things. Just be good. That's it. Be good at every single one of those things and just try and improve on them a little bit each week. And again. If you go backwards and fall off, it's fine. Just get back on the program and try and do the best you can. But that's going back a bit. As I said, try not to chase perfection because it's not there. And if you try and chase perfection, it'll do your head in and you'll just say fuck it. Oh you stop doing it, You say fuck it, I can't do it. It's too much for me, it's for who the fuck could do this in a week?
Speaker 1: Totally.
Speaker 2: Just be good and that's the way to get it, and you'll progress. You'll get on that nice flow state where you're slowly creeping up the hill. You don't want to go up hill a million miles an hour and fall off the hill. But with exercise nutrition, we're looking for longevity. And that's what I try and teach that sustainable, sustainable, one hundred percent. If it's sustainable, you're doing really well. It's not too much, it's not too little, you're not getting bored, you're not falling off off the heel. That's what we're looking for and that's the way I'll explain it to them.
Speaker 1: So this brings you to the we challenge to something you're just close to your heart. Yep, what's that about, mate?
Speaker 2: Mate? So going back to Dexascans, I get it. I get So we call them chapters. There's a bit of a g up, So we get chapters. We've got chapters in Rubra Lenox head Byron, chapters of people that come together and train from all walks of life. Right, you can, no matter where you've come from, you can come down and join these chapters and they're just groups of people and it forms a strong community. That's what set this up. I didn't. I didn't set them up. I set the Gold Coast one up and then I've jumped in on the other chapters. The Lenox chapter, they already they're already going Mruber chapter. They've got ninety people. There's one in Newcastle now. But all these chapters come in and do do my challenge.
Speaker 1: So you set the challenger.
Speaker 2: I set the challenge up. Yeah, I set it up. It's all online. So we got one starting on the third of February next year, and that's the big one. It goes for eight weeks no alcohol and doing exactly what we've talked about today, the whole holistic side of health. Good not perfect, Yep, it's just good.
Speaker 1: Do do you talk to everybody online?
Speaker 2: I try, and yeah, we've got we've got a WhatsApp, good old WhatsApp good for training for training, So we get we get sort of the last one. We had two hundred people do it. So we've got chefs, other trainers, like I don't know everything. I've got a nutrition us on board because I just wanted to make the nutrition side more professional. So I've got Kelly McDonald who does She's on the same wavelength as nutrition as me, but she's really good at what she does.
Speaker 1: And she said that, but when you say nutrition, Johnny is amout. She sets up a program what she suggested does.
Speaker 2: She does food suggestions and then if you want to go into more details, she will you can do a private console. Obviously it costs more money. She will do a private console and set you up and again for sustainability. It's not just because. A funny story about that is the year a few years ago Pat Rafton won the challenge.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't know him, but I know he's a good mate, engineer.
Speaker 2: Good good man. And he won the challenge. He smashed everyone. He's still a competitive but he's big, strong like you think you know Ossie legend, and he smashed everyone in the challenge. He lost like four five percent potty fat, put on about four point five percent lean muscle mass, lost half his visceral fat. But he got to the end of the challenge and I spoke to him and said, how do you how you feeling? Pat? He goes, mate, I was hungry the whole time. So he was hungry and angry because he was pretty much not starving himself, but he wasn't eating that many calories. Because he's such a competitor. He wanted to win this thing, and he train till he was almost broken, Like he didn't do my training program, he did his own, and he cooked himself like you were saying, he was absolutely cooked. And he goes, I'm going to have a month off the gym and I'm going to go and eat shit. And I thought to myself, it's not really what the challenge is all about. Like the challenge, I wanted to make it so people can eat and live and train like this for the next five, ten, fifteen, twenty years. So we because that theme of the challenge was just deal with it, So I do a different theme each challenge. That that year was just deal with it, so no matter what comes out, you just deal with it, get it, get it done. And it was a bit everyone took it literally and went overboard on the training and a bit and didn't need enough. So that's when I thought, I'll pull it back. And the next challenge I did was sustainability, Like let's make this, like I just said, five ten, fifteen, twenty years, we can we will quite happily train like that, live the rest life, live this life. And it was a way better challenge people. That's when I started getting a lot of feedback about how how good people felt, not just physically but mentally because they had they knew they could live like that for the for a long period of time. So that's when I was That's when I was thinking, all right, let's let's cut out stress as well. Let's cut out the stress. So that's when I proved through in the meditation side of it as well.
Speaker 1: So do do do do you sort of direct them to to onund of the meditation apps and just say pick one doesn't really matter, but do you have to fill a format and sort of say okay they do? You keep accountable accountable definitely.
Speaker 2: So that's why we get the DEXA scan at the start, right, so we get the dexas skiins. Everyone gets two hundred scans coming at me. I'm like, oh god, how am I going to calculate this? Then don't get another two hundred Dexter scans at the end. At the end, but now we've got a system on the on the website, where people can upload their own data so they can log in, they can log in, put their own dexter scan results in and whatever the training can do. Their training is all on the YEP. They can either train do my training program or they can train with their own trainer. So you put a program out to put a program, it's all there is.
Speaker 1: Do you put in your program every week or is it one program?
Speaker 2: It's a four week block, so you do one four week you do trained, because I think it takes about four weeks to learn the movements properly, even if you're going back and doing a squat, like just learning how to damn it. It's all on video. It's all everything's there. And then after the four weeks we pretty much change your program because then, like I said, you don't want people to get bored. And some people after four weeks like the FU all right, what's what's next? Four week block? Two four week blocks for.
Speaker 1: The and then people interacting with each other like can you not compete? But can you sort of not Strava but you.
Speaker 2: Like, no, it's competitive because we do. Because we do. I get each chapter to compete against each other. So I'll take the So you say we've got ninety blocks or seventy blocks from Ruber, fifty from Lenox, forty from Byron, thirty or forty from where I'm from. We had South Australia, New Zealand jump in and do it, and I'd really like Rural Australia to start jumping on board as well. That's that's a goal. But I take the top five results from each chapter and we add them up. So I think last year Lenox had one. In the year before Byron one, So that's that just makes the chapters a bit more competitive. And then when you've got blokes, say traveling up to the Gold Coast from Sydney, they can jump in and train with our chapter. Vice versa.
Speaker 1: So do you train if you're in a Chapter's something in the Ruba chapter, do I physically train with these guys like you pick someone's garage or a gym or something of that. That's it, okay, So you actually do.
Speaker 2: Actually trained together. It creates a community. So you train together, you go and jump in the ocean and all go and have a coffee together, go about your dates. It's a massive community. So we're trying to create a strong, healthy, vibrant community. So these chapters, they all say if they meet three times a week or twice a week, they go and train together and then they can do their own training, or they can put they can get small groups and splinter off and do their weight training that I set out. It just depends where they want to go with it.
Speaker 1: We know they joint used to have in Bondi and North bond there were just train the garage.
Speaker 2: The garage them. That's where it all started. Really, yeah, that's where it all started with five guys. I used to train a group of actually small garage, tiny little single garage. That's where we trained for years. And I used to train four guys in there, and I was just looking for something to motivate them. I was like, I was always interested in Dexa scans, and I was like, all right, boys, let's go get a Dexas scan. Not drink alcohol for eight weeks and then we'll get a Dexas scan at the end and see who wins. Like, see who can lose the most, lose the most body fat, put on the most lean muscle mass, and lose the most visceral fat, the important fat, that fat that sits around your belly. So that all those three results we look at and then we sort of did a calculation at the end and see who wins.
Speaker 1: Has it done anything for mental health?
Speaker 2: Definitely. I didn't set out to do that, to be honest, like, I didn't set out for it to be a I've set it out to be more of a physical challenge. But the amount of people that bring me after it and say, mate, my mental health, I didn't realize that I was in a rut. They're not like obviously, they're not like in a bad state of mental health. Yeah, but they drink. They're just over drinking alcohol and using that as a bit of a masking agent for their whatever they're going through, stress at work, financial stress. And then at the end they go, mate, might not only feel physically better, but I feel mentally better. So that's a big that was massive to hear that off a lot of people.
Speaker 1: How many how many people, let's say, so you do it, how many times you?
Speaker 2: I did it twice last year, but this one I don't know. Last year at this at the same time of a year, I got two hundred people doing it. I'd like to get four or five hundred.
Speaker 1: If someone's build a chapter set up a chapter, Set up a chapter. How do they do it?
Speaker 2: They just get a group of small group of people from the local community, pick two mornings, just meet either down the beach or at a local gym or at someone's place, and you just people gravitate towards it. They hear about it, start a thread. Like I said before, the threads are the best thing for group training because you can send out one quick message and everyone's on it. Everyone supports each other. A bit of a note dickhead policy.
Speaker 1: And how do they register? Though? With the APE, we challenges like you have to go register yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when that time comes around in February, you jump on. It costs two hundred and fifty bucks to do the challenge and then you pay for your own two dex of scans. There are one hundred dollars each year. It cost four hundred and fifty bucks all up to do the challenge. But you like, if you're a drinker, you'll save that money in two or three weeks a couple of nights.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's how many have you been doing this? Because I mean I remember you it's about six years seven bond longer than that though, Yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: I've been training in Bondi around those places for years. But I think we're up to about challenge number seven coming out.
Speaker 1: Number seven And why do you do it? It's not for money making, so why are you doing way John Gannon doing it?
Speaker 2: I really enjoy just seeing people come together in a community and go have each other's backs. Where like even when the floods were on, like up in twenty two, when the floods were on it is more and all around the down towards Lenox and all around the back of Lenox Head, New Brighton and all those places, it was the local community that got up and saved people and help people out. There was no one else for four days. It was the boys on their jet skis and in Tinney's the women were on the boat ramps. Like local businesses were bringing down jerry cans full of fuel, they're bringing down generators that everyone just come together as a community and sorted it out. But there's like without that, those people were in all sorts of trouble.
Speaker 1: I remember hearing a story that mid Fanning contract contacted Musk and got the got the Starlight Starlink Starlink Starling services and for people Lis.
Speaker 2: More people and there's more and all around the back.
Speaker 1: Of Woodell and all those Ye war that was really good.
Speaker 2: That was bad mate. They were stuck. They were stuck in their roof cavities for four days. Yeah, no phone, no food, no water, no nothing, and.
Speaker 1: Never is closed down because an internet needs cable and.
Speaker 2: You couldn't get there. You could only get there by boat or jet. Scared.
Speaker 1: You know, it's interesting off the back of that that might join up there. And I thought, you know, I've got I had, you know, some other internet service. I won't see which one, And I thought, stuff that I'm going to support starlink. So I got Starlink on the two houses just just because of what McK fanning did. I thought I would reward made any difference and stuff, but I thought it would make it. I thought, no, no, I'll make it. My decisions on going with that brand was at the time it was a few years. It was a bit more expensive because I had to buy the kid much super now but great, by the way, unbelievable service that stunting like. I never get downtime like even when like last weekend it was like belting down, it was still I still was still finding that my dish is still finding the satellite. And it was and it was perfect. I mean I had like a little blit, but it was heavy duty weather. And that's off the back of something to someone like Mick Fanning doing what he did, and it was just me. It was a whole lot of other blokes. There was a big gang of them, and they're the sorts of people who were doing this. We challenge.
Speaker 2: That's it. That's what I want to create, like strong communities. But when the ship does hit the fan, like even little things that happened that we don't even know about, like someone's kid sick, that that group of people go into a fundrate like anything like that, just to create like because I think that's what we're lacking, like a strong, healthy, vibrant communities. Especially after COVID we realized how social people are as well. So now we've got our social life back. We don't have to go to the pub and drink ten schooners and write yourself off and just talk shit and you don't even remember what your mate said to you.
Speaker 1: Anyway, if you do, you just repeating shit you've been other time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's the same shit. So I'd rather see people come down and train together, have a swim in the ocean or in a cold plunge or whatever they've got river, go and have a coffee, talk about whatever, like the shit that comes out so funny, and you remember what each other said, you made it, you made a new mate, and you go about your day and you feel better about yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel better hearing you talk about it that because you know it's funny. You know it's nearly full circle. Because what you're telling me now, what you're trying to create, letting others create, helping others create is sort of like the original foundation premise of the Brah boys after each other, but without all the other stuff that went with it. There's just older blokes probably probably they're not twenty year olds, probably blokes in thirty forties whatever, building a community themselves, healthy community, looking after each other, looking out for each other, and also enjoying each other's company, which is sort of where you started when you're definitely but you've just taken the best part of it and then put it into what you're doing now. A bit of stuff and you ever thought about.
Speaker 2: That, yeah or not really? Nah, Now that you just mentioned it, I am.
Speaker 1: But because every human likes that, mate, we all want to be part of something.
Speaker 2: I love it. It's build so quick too. Like the one in Newcastle started a year ago with like four or five blokes, they've got fifty or sixty blokes turn wow to each session surface a bit of everything, a bit of everything for x footy players, surfers, mate ex crims, whatever, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: There's no judgments.
Speaker 2: There's no judgments. Yeah, it's blokes that have come out of a drug and rehab rehab that really come down and love it because it gives them a bit of a purpose. They've got something to get up for the next day. It's whoever, whoever wants to come and join in like it's and not like now the women are starting to jump in. You've got a lot of women jumping into it as well. Maruba have got ten or so girls, young girls that come down and jump in and smash the session with the boys. So now that's the other thing to make it more women inclusive as well. I'd love to get more women on the challenge because then the other thing is when you've got mum and dad doing the challenge, the healthy living and the healthy lifestyle filters down to the rest of the family without even saying anything. We get a bit of feedback.
Speaker 1: May we do what we see? Yep, we do, don't do what we're told?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the kidkeys, I tell you kids to eat that, eat that. But if they see Mum and dad cooking healthy and then we get a few few people coming back with a bit of feedback saying, the kids want to prepare the with me, the kids want to come up, jump, jump up in the morning and come for a run with me. So that there's that element of it as well that we get a bit of feedback about.
Speaker 1: As well, especially if you start introducing your kids to things like breath work, these unusual things. Breath work. Maybe not a it doesn't have to be a cold plunch it could you just.
Speaker 2: Jump in the ocean, jump in the ocean, jumping.
Speaker 1: And walking around the grass like I remember when I was a kid, I had a pair of thongs.
Speaker 2: So that was it.
Speaker 1: Summer come so schools at school, so the only I had two bit shoes, a pair of sanches and a pair of school shoes and a pair of thongs. In the summer it was thongs or barefoot everywhere. You know in those days, you know you're stepping on Bindi's those bindie things just getting cats, I said, and the plucking about it like if a kid they stood and they freak out.
Speaker 2: You know, you just step on, step on, a up, a bit of resilience, a step.
Speaker 1: On a nail, and then you be down the door to getting a and a shot. I mean a number of times I've got on those things and I reckon. I don't want to sound like some old dude, but I just think that, and I think my Grandson's what I'm talking about is I've got three grandsons. I think about they ever going to experience that sort of stuff or is it going to be their life is going to be about like protecting and make sure that don't put your shoes on there's bees around here, or put your shoes on you might step on a rusty ale. I don't want them to get the rusty air and in their foot, But at the same time, it's a fine line. I do want them to experience some life like it's funny, you know, my you know when my grandson, one of my second eldest grandson, my son said me a photograph of him on the weekend. And this is like eleven o'clock at night, Saturday night. And when you get a message from your son.
Speaker 2: Eleventh's what's happening. So he's.
Speaker 1: He's at the hospital and in Sydney, my grandson who's won one one year and it's three weeks old. Why old as they come? And he climbed up on top of a bean bag and fell off onto a concrete floor. So he opened his head up. He's got the biggest gash on his head, like big gash on his head. And yeah, and the worst part about is, you know he got there at nine o'clock, at nine o'clock at night. The worst part I was still at eleven waiting for someone to come to stitch them up. That's the hospital system, because as that the Prince wils but and.
Speaker 2: I thought it was.
Speaker 1: And he stitched up now and he got three stitches, and he said he's got a bend. And I thought himself, yeah, but you know, it's sort of I don't know, it's sort of okay too.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, it's another wrong.
Speaker 1: And his older brother was crying and I said, and I thought, well that's okay too. You see your little brother get injured, you feel something, and that's something you never forget when you're when you're six or seven and your little brother's one, you will never forget that incident and those little sort of natural humor and things that happened to us, Like that was the same before running around with your bare feet on the grass and standing on a little flower that might have been gett a beasting mate. They're all they're all nature's warnings.
Speaker 2: And builds up a bit of resilience, up, a bit of grit.
Speaker 1: Totally, yeah, we need it. I think we need it. And then also your eight week challenge, it's sort of an older person's version of what I just said, Like it's about being natural. Stop drinking. What would you eat, eat well, sleep well, train your ass off, have a goal. Talk to your mates about it, because train your ass off on your own is really hard. Talk to your mates about it. Watch the day there down because you'd be rest sure you're gonna have a ship day. Pick each other up, Say come on, mate, let's get into it. If I turn up, I altern it because I know you're turning up because.
Speaker 2: I don't understand.
Speaker 1: I don't want to let you down. Totally, really like this morning, I didn't train because I've got a bit later and a bit late. And but if I was meeting someone, there's no way in the world if I went to bed at two in the morning, I was still turned up at six because I don't want to let someone down. Not myself, but I'll let myself down every time. But if I got someone else, I don't want to let him down. So I think that community thing is really important. Change. He's a ripper, I got. It's funny talking about a blake who we know needs to do something about his training regime. And again said him, beget him on the out we challenge. Yeah, maybe we should build a little group and him and a.
Speaker 2: Few others get up on die chapter go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well he's a Rooster's guy, so we could do another another rounded either everywhere. You're not going to tell me that bunny support support, Oh my god. And so it was ours pumping what's wrong?
Speaker 2: All of my best mates Fish from Rubra, Mark Fisher who's good mates with Ginge and Ginge two of my best mates Risters two of my best closest friends. So I'm used to it mate, And then I know of Trent Robot well another obviously the coach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, surround advice everywhere. So I want to wish the best for the date in February, third February. I want to wish the best for the third. I want to be more. You don't need. I want to wish all the people join up the best outcome. That's great. It's a great, great initiative and like, if you're listening and you want to get motivated, it's called the eight week Challenge.
Speaker 2: Is Big Challenge, Gate Challenge.
Speaker 1: So is there a website.
Speaker 2: Website, Yeah, we'll put them on the link below.
Speaker 1: Okay, go there, get a gang together. Register whenever the time comes to registration and all brack.
Speaker 2: Thanks, thanks, thanks mark mate, thank you