Speaker 1: Late, welcome the Late to pay.
Speaker 2: Good evening and thanks for joining us.
Speaker 3: I'm James Macpherson with Liz Store and filling in tonight for Caleb Bond from the Menzies Research and Freyer Leitch.
Speaker 2: Great to have you with us, Freyer, awesome to be here. We've got a lot to.
Speaker 3: Get through tonight, so let's get cracking. A little later, we'll talk about one of those stories that can only happen in Australia. A family come home to find an animal they were not expecting in their bed. It wasn't one of their pets. We'll show you what it was a little later. Plus, when we get to the papers, that the cost of renewables is a lot higher than you've been told. Try half a trillion dollars higher. That's the front page of tomorrow's Daily Telegraph.
Speaker 2: We'll unpack that.
Speaker 3: Plus Maya have canceled the opening of their Christmas window display after threats from Palestinian protesters. So all of that when we look at the papers. But first, Donald Trump hasn't even taken office yet, but the lefty meltdowns continue. Last night, The Guardian, a former newspaper, announced they will no longer be posting articles on Twitter. Here's the great thing about this story, though. You know when the Guardian post articles on Twitter, Freyer and Liz, you know, I have a look and most of their articles get like one hundred likes, maybe one hundred and twenty likes, maybe two hundred likes.
Speaker 4: They be very kind. Ye.
Speaker 3: The post that the Guardian put up saying they'll no longer be on Twitter had twenty nine thousand likes.
Speaker 2: What does that tell you they I don't know why they have to announce on Twitter that they're leaving.
Speaker 3: It's not like an airport where you have to announce your departure. But they said that the benefits of being on Twitter are now outweighed by the negatives because of what they described as quote disturbing content. Can I suggest maybe the Guardian would be a little less disturbed about the content on Twitter if they didn't read their own Twitter feed. Let me give you an example or two of this. Lots of things that Guardian have been posting on Twitter, and remember they're worried about disturbing content. Here's one of the articles they posted to Twitter. Is it okay for scientists to weep over climate change? I think we can all agree that's a waste of a tweet. All about this one? Stop calling women girls. It's either patronizing or sexually suggestive.
Speaker 2: What about this one?
Speaker 3: The Guardian posted teaching my daughter to cook does not make me a bad feminist. This is one of my favorites. They actually tweeted an article. Remember the Guardian, they're leaving Twitter because of the disturbing content, and yet they tweeted an article, the headline of which read, I'd read the day my daughter's poos get smaller. I have read that is about I don't why let me give you two more? Barbecue is an American tradition of enslaved Africans and Native Americans. And one final headline from the Guardian, would you believe it?
Speaker 2: Should?
Speaker 3: It really be a crime to look at child pornography? And the Guardian are worried about disturbing content on Twitter. Well, now that they've left Twitter, Liz, the amount of disturbing content has been reduced drastically. Talk about own goal.
Speaker 1: The transition to new media is full steam ahead. Last night we were telling you about the ratings deep dive off a clip being experienced in CNN MSNBC post the election. Now The Guardian, the mouthpiece of the establishment, is joining their ranks just by bowing out unasked. I think the real reason why they did this, though, is because they have been losing on average sixteen followers for every single tweet they post, which amounts to thirty six thousand followers unsubscribing from The Guardian in the last thirty days.
Speaker 4: So they know, ex users.
Speaker 1: We've figured out I'm not interested in our propaganda.
Speaker 4: They are.
Speaker 1: You're not interested in the utter slop we are calling news and feeding them.
Speaker 4: So I absolutely love this.
Speaker 1: Elon Musk quickly followed up by the way being like the Guardian is a dying publication.
Speaker 4: And funniest of all.
Speaker 1: Was the fact that they finished up this statement being like we're leaving there's all these right wing conspiracy theories and racism, always with the racism. Obviously there's so much racism. And then they finished their little statement by saying we are supported by readers, so if you can please pitch in and help us out, you are our sole benefactors. Of course, leaving out the fact that Bill Gates has donated well over ten million dollars to this establishment mouthpiece. So here they are crying poor.
Speaker 4: The truth of the matter Israel.
Speaker 1: They simply can't compete on a level playing field, which is what Elon Musk turned X into when he got all the Conservatives out of Twitter jail when he bored it in twenty twenty two. Now they're all crying poor, either leaving or they literally can't have the heat.
Speaker 5: I mean, funnily enough, people aren't particularly interested in far left propaganda. They had to struggle through it when Twitter was run by lefties, and now that they don't have to see it in their feed, it's no surprise that people just simply scroll past, unsubscribe, unfollow. I mean it truly is just ridiculous, to be honest, though, I didn't even know The Guardian had a Twitter account until they announced they were leaving.
Speaker 4: So I mean, clearly they've not been very SINU haven't.
Speaker 1: Been a subscriber, Pryer.
Speaker 3: I wondered why you were always so happy. It's because you weren't reading The Guardian. It's not only The Guardian who have now boycotted Twitter as a result of Donald Trump's election win. Jamie Lee Curtis, the actress, is no longer on Twitter. I'm not sure how any of us will sleep at night, and Don Lemon, the former CNN host will He's announced to everybody on Twitter that he's leaving Twitter.
Speaker 4: Here is hi, everyone.
Speaker 6: I have loved connecting with all of you on Twitter and then on x for all of these years, but it's.
Speaker 2: Time for me to leave the platform.
Speaker 3: Heart's breaking all over the world because of that announcement. Don Lemon actually said, I once believed that Twitter was a place for honest debate and discussion, transparency and free speech, but I now feel it does not serve that purpose. This is a guy who used to host a show on CNN.
Speaker 4: For real, that's all he's known for.
Speaker 1: Really, this is Don Lemon, and we still screenmembercy Honest debates the infamous interview that he did with Elon Musk where Elon Musk was like, well, you're for censorship and I'm not, and Don Lemon's like, no, no, that's not what I'm saying, and then Elon Musk basically just gave a short synopsis of everything Don Lemon had said in the interview and.
Speaker 4: Said, yes, yes you are.
Speaker 1: You're saying that this platform, my platform, must be censored. Otherwise, well, it's rife with racism and conspiracy theories, et.
Speaker 4: Cetera, and so on.
Speaker 1: So it was absolutely do you remember that.
Speaker 5: I do remember that, and I must say I love seeing the Lemon be a little sour. It's pretty entertaining to watch. But another person, I would have had no idea he had a Twitter account unless he announced he was leaving.
Speaker 4: But I mean, it's pretty ironic.
Speaker 5: To claim that Elon Musk's X is about censorship when before Elon Musk took over, there was legitimate censorship. Did he prefer a time when discussions around COVID were censored? When the President of the United States was kicked off the platform?
Speaker 4: That is censorship.
Speaker 5: What Elon Musk has done with X is truly transformative, and as you said, Liz, it is revolutionizing journalism, and people like The Lemon and the Propaganda Guardian they will be left behind in this new world.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 3: They're upset that people they disagree with are allowed to exist on Twitter, so that's why they're leaving it.
Speaker 1: I think they're also there retired of community notes, because when I then went to the Guardian Twitter feed and checked out a lot of their posts community notes. Now anyone can slap a community note on anyone's tweet and just be like ah ah, excuse me, correction, and the Guardian had a bountiful supply of those to the States now where it is a great day for democracy, ladies and gentlemen, because today is the day that we learnt that the GOP has clinched the trifecta. Not only have they won the Senate and of course the presidency, but they are maintaining their majority in the House.
Speaker 4: So it was a beautiful day.
Speaker 1: It was a perfect day for Donald Trump to do the usual I'm taking over from the president visit with President elect and current president shaking hands. Now, a lot of people are all over this like a rash, a good one, being.
Speaker 4: Like these guys seem.
Speaker 1: To be great mates. Watch this short clip and see what you think. There seems to be a lot of genuine regard going on here.
Speaker 6: President elect, former president and you found congratulations, thank you, and looking forward to having Like we said, it's through the transition. Soever we can make sure you're a comedy what you need and we're gonna get a chance to talk across some out to this good welcome.
Speaker 1: Bling back, no animosity, all smiles, and check out this happy snap of the Bidens with Trump on this auspicious occasion. Check out the size of these smiles and it seems genuine. Am I wrong in saying.
Speaker 4: Winners are grinners?
Speaker 1: There's no convincing me now that the Bidens didn't. Indeed, as gossip has had it, voted for Trump at the election in order to flip the bird to the establishment that had flipped the bird to them so unceremoniously after.
Speaker 4: Years of service.
Speaker 1: Everyone had been making a lot of talk about the fact that Jill Biden on election Day wore a brilliant red suit, which everyone knows stands for Republicans for the win, especially on election Day, and she did this loud and proud. It hasn't been any secret that these guys do despise Kamala and have actually warmed to Trump in recent days.
Speaker 3: I just can't believe how happy Joe Biden looked in that photo.
Speaker 2: I've not seen him look.
Speaker 3: That happy in at least four years, but he was positively beaming in that photograph.
Speaker 5: He looked so happy. I was honestly shocked. He didn't start sniffing Trump's hair or nibbling on his shoulder.
Speaker 4: He was chill, and he was leaning he wanted.
Speaker 5: To get there, but they kept it very cordial, which, to be honest, I mean, there definitely is an element of self interest here. The Biden's got absolutely slammed by the Democrats and completely shafted.
Speaker 4: But it is nice to.
Speaker 5: Actually see political leaders getting along and supposedly respecting one another like that was refreshing.
Speaker 2: That was refreshing.
Speaker 3: And the other thing I thought was amazing was just how comfortable Joe Biden looked welcoming a fascist who was going to absolutely destroy democracy to the White House and saying, look, we'll make this transition as peaceful and as easy as possible.
Speaker 2: Let us know what you need so you'd hand.
Speaker 3: Over so easily to add off Hitler. What an amazing thing. This is not official, but I have heard rumors of some of the discussion. Apparently Joe Biden leaned over to Trump and said, hey, listen, I want to make you a deal when you get into office if you could pardon my son Hunter, and I of course will have all the charges dropped against you. And Trump liked the idea, but said to Joe Biden, the problem is, in ten minutes from now, you'll forget we had.
Speaker 2: This talk, to which Joe Biden said, what talk all all.
Speaker 1: Here's hey, ladies and gentlemen, do not spread that around. But a very very funny idea there. The AI world has gone absolutely mad after seeing this very friendly visit between the incoming and the outgoing president. And if this video that you're about to see doesn't convince you that AI is completely out of control. This is the mashup that the online trolls did up saying these two were forced to be enemies but born to be friends.
Speaker 2: Check out those beaming smiles. All the world that we could live in.
Speaker 1: It's actually very heartwarming to see, as he said, Ray, the whole montage actually goes on for longer and longer, like they're both.
Speaker 4: Wearing medieval night armor.
Speaker 1: Like it got absolutely ridiculous, but of course they were just taking it to the nth degree. Staying in America now, this has got to be We've been introducing you to Trump's new appointees as they come to light and what absolute legends they are, but none has shocked the establishment more than the appointment of Matt Gates to the all important position of Attorney General. This has absolutely sent shock waves through Washington. This is their worst nightmare confirmed. And I tell you what, this guy is an absolute firebrand. For years and years prior to entering Congress, he was a very tenacious attorney and that is simply the guy's disposition.
Speaker 4: And when he's.
Speaker 1: Cornered by the left, he doesn't back down. This is one of my all time favorite Matt Gates clips. If you don't know him, just remember this one when he's asked by a reporter, I'm you sorry for offending women?
Speaker 3: Is it safe to see that based off of your comments, you're suggesting that these women at these abortion rallies are ugly and overweet?
Speaker 2: Yes, what do you see to people who.
Speaker 4: Think that those comments are offensive?
Speaker 7: Be offended?
Speaker 1: Now you may think that's hah, sure, okay, but this is what we need to see in conservatives. We always say every capitulation to the left emboldens them.
Speaker 4: This guy just backs himself. Be offended.
Speaker 1: What's going to happen, Beryl? Absolutely nothing? Did you mean what you said? Yes, do not capitulate, Just back yourself in. Also, Elon Musk has got a great friend in this guy, because as Attorney General, he's all about cutting the fat out of government departments. Elon Musk has famously said, we currently have around four hundred and thirty government agencies, and I think ninety nine sounds like a great number. Well, here's Matt Gates talking at SEE last year. I don't know about you, but I think he's in furious agreement.
Speaker 7: Seems like every time I turn around, they're engaged in surveillance or list building or monitoring. And I don't care if it takes every second of our time and every ounce of our energy. We either get this government back on our side, or we defund and get rid of, abolish the FBI, CDC, ATFDJ, every last one of them. If they do not come to heal.
Speaker 4: Let's get them all.
Speaker 1: And if you want to see him in action on the job, you actually may remember this clip that you're about to see. This is when the government we're taking the FBI to task on this atrocious cover up that they undeniably did when it came to the Hunter Biden laptop scandal.
Speaker 4: This is Matt Gets in action.
Speaker 7: I have other questions. I'm sitting here with my father. I will make certain that between the man sitting next to me and every person he knows, and my ability to forever hold a grudge that you will regret not following my direction. I am sitting here waiting for the call with my father. Sounds like a shakedown, doesn't a director.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to get into company with that.
Speaker 7: You you seem deeply uncurious about it, don't you? Almost suspiciously uncurious? Are you protecting the bidens?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not the FBI.
Speaker 7: Anti that's a shakedown, And everybody knows why you won't answer it because to the millions of people who will see this, they know it is. And your inability to acknowledge that is deeply revealing about you. You preside over the FBI that has the lowest level of trust in the FBI's history. People trusted the FBI when Jaye Ercover was running the place than when you are. And the reason is because you don't get straight answers.
Speaker 1: You That FBI director was a grease spot on the carpet by the time Matt Gates had.
Speaker 2: Gotten through with him.
Speaker 1: Now, this is a very controversial pick. If you're a lefty, this is your worst nightmare come true. And there's all these objections going online. People are having absolute meltdowns. And I loved elon mouth Sweet today where he was replying to the ball saying, the hammer of justice is coming, because that's what Gates is known for.
Speaker 3: The Wall Street Journal they were particularly scathing about this pick. They said, he's a nominee for those who want to use the law for political revenge. What have you been paying attention for the last four years? That's the reason Trump has appointed this guy, because the DOJ had become under the Biden administration so politicized. Trump is doing exactly what he said he would do and exactly what the American people voted for.
Speaker 2: And he's appointing people in charge of intelligence.
Speaker 3: Get to Tulsi Gabbard in a moment, in charge of the military and in charge of the DOJ, who are deeply suspicious of these institutions. But if you're going to drain the swamp, then you can't have establishment people. You've got to have outsiders who come in and are prepared to get their hands dirty. And so you would expect pushback from the media and from public servants and those involved. Yeah, but I think Americans they voted for change, they want to see it.
Speaker 4: Trump's going to do it exactly.
Speaker 5: And I think perhaps the mistake Trump made last time was going for too many of these establishment types and putting them in senior leadership positions. But if he wants to make the radical change that America is crying out for desperately, you need to take radical measures, and that might actually include putting people into power who actually are committed to the vision that Americans elected by an overwhelming majority at all three levels the House, the Senate, and the popular vote, and so Americans.
Speaker 4: Voted for this, this is what they should get.
Speaker 5: And I think there are a lot of lessons Australia can actually learn from this in having rain in government bureaucracies, because seriously, as you actually dig into the data, into the budgets and you look at the kinds of things even we here in Australia spend money on, it is genuinely insane. There are a lot of bureaucrats benefiting off the gravy train of taxpayer dollars. There are some great bureaucrats, for sure, But I think Elon Musk is right when he says you could probably cut a quarter of all government spending, and no one with three quarters realize he's talking cutting three quarters.
Speaker 4: In matter fairness to.
Speaker 1: Trump, It's true that a lot of his appointments first time around.
Speaker 4: Were pretty like Rah really made what are you doing?
Speaker 1: But he was a stranger to Washington.
Speaker 2: He wasn't even supposed to win.
Speaker 1: So when the president comes in, he's supposed to have ten thousand staff lined up, bombs in seats, ready to go, and so first time he kind of floundered. But this is such a revenge appointment because remember it was Matt Gates who was investigated for sex trafficking of all things, just a few years ago by the Department of Justice.
Speaker 4: Remember what I told you the jokes in the name.
Speaker 1: And now as part of his appointment, guess what comes under him the Department of Justice. Trump's mandate reads, Matt will root out the systemic eruption at the DOJ and return the department to its true mission of fighting crime and upholding our democracy and constitution. But speaking of revenge picks, Tolci Gubbard has gone from being on a terror watch list because keep track here, so Matt Gates being an actual gun, they want to take him out, so they come out with these ridiculous trafficking allegations. They put Tolci Gubbard, who is a war vet. She's done several tools. She's an incredible woman. Former Democrat or Hawaii, former Democrats. She's one of the ones who said I'm leaving the Dems. I'm running for the Republicans. Now she is now Director of National Intelligence. I love these revenge picks because Trump knows that these guys who have been prosecuted by the very agencies that he needs to gut and transform completely, people who have been hurt by them so unjustly. They're the perfect people for the job.
Speaker 3: She also has the distinction not only of having been on a terror watch list. Now she's in charge of America's seventeen intelligence agencies, and she also is famous for getting more votes in a Democratic primary than Kamala.
Speaker 2: Harris ever got. So there's that as well.
Speaker 3: But I think John Fetterman, the Democratic Senator, he summed it up best, and he's probably the smartest of all the Democrats these days. He knows exactly what Donald Trump is doing.
Speaker 2: Have a listen.
Speaker 8: I mean it's I would describe it as guard to your level trolley to trigger a full line China syndrome, to own the lives and perpetuity.
Speaker 3: I reckon there is a little bit of trolling in Trump's pigs. But it's not just trolling. He's serious about really changing the culture of the bureaucracy there in the US.
Speaker 2: Let's come back home where.
Speaker 3: Politics sadly is not much better if only we had a Trump, like you said, Freyer.
Speaker 2: But you know the housing crisis.
Speaker 3: We all know why we have a housing crisis, right massive immigration. We talked last night about incredible inefficiency when it comes to the bureaucracy. But now there's a third key as to why we've got a housing crisis, and that's because the people charged with fixing it have got absolutely no idea at all. Have a listen to the New South Wales Housing Minister Rose Jackson who went on radio for a just an easy interview on the ABC and was asked about, sorry, what was it?
Speaker 4: This one was with the Project SORR.
Speaker 2: I was with the even easier. No, it was with the ABC.
Speaker 1: It was okay, my dad, my dad.
Speaker 3: Either way it would have been a cushy interview, and she was asked, you know what's it cost people these days to get a two bedroom unit in Sydney.
Speaker 2: Have a listen, what do.
Speaker 6: You reckon is a reasonable price to pay in rent for a two bedroom flat in Sydney.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well, I mean it kind of depends where in Sydney.
Speaker 2: I mean, Sydney's a big city.
Speaker 9: You know, I mean a couple hundred bucks, right Like.
Speaker 7: Where can you get a two bedroom flat for a couple of hundred bucks well a.
Speaker 9: Week, I don't know there are places in Sydney you can. I mean, you know, is like there's a.
Speaker 4: Two bedroom flat and there's a two bedroom flat. Like not all flats are the same.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 10: This is the thing about the housing market.
Speaker 3: She sounds kind of like she's just having a coffee with a mate. They're just kind of, you know, spitballing, and she's forgotten she's on radio as the Housing Minister a couple hundred bucks for a two bedroom flat in Sydney. The median price to rent a two bedroom apartment in Sydney is not a couple hundred bucks. It's seven hundred and twenty dollars. In the last four months of twenty five thousand two bedroom apartments in Sydney that were rented out, Wow, twenty three went for two hundred dollars or less. Twenty three out of twenty five thousand. I suggest that maybe they should get the Housing Minister to look for Hen's teeth, because she'd be able to find them anyway. She went on social media to explain it was all a big mistake. She wasn't actually saying you can get apartments for a couple hundred bucks. She was saying, you know, she wished you could get apartments for a couple hundred bucks.
Speaker 9: Did I say that rent in Sydney is two hundred dollars a week?
Speaker 4: No? No, I didn't.
Speaker 9: I did a live radio interview in which I was asked what's the reasonable rent someone should pay in Sydney, not what are people in Sydney actually paying? What's actually average rent? What would be a reasonable out to pay in rent? And, in the course of a admittedly somewhat garbled answer talking about different types of apartments and where they're located in Sydney and all of that, I said a couple one hundred bucks a week.
Speaker 4: I know that that's.
Speaker 9: Not what people are actually paying in rent in Sydney, but that wasn't the question.
Speaker 2: Frayer, I am not convinced, do you.
Speaker 4: I am so unconvinced. It's not funny.
Speaker 5: But to be honest, more than unconvinced, I'm actually offended because of the tone that she uses. It's like, mate, you're not making a TikTok. You're on national radio talking about an issue that is actually really serious. I'm a young person and I talk to my friends a lot. We're kind of at that moving out stage. The average age people are staying at home with their parents is now something like twenty five years old, and that has all sorts of flow and effects in people's lives. It means they are not partnering up and getting married, they're not having kids early because they simply cannot afford to house themselves, let alone buy a property. And if they do want to buy, they have to move back home because rent is so expensive. And so I just think the whole way she is approaching this discussion with the hoodie and the TikTok response to the interview where you know it was so unfair that they asked.
Speaker 4: You that question.
Speaker 5: It's like, Uh, you're the housing minister who's supposed to be solving a really critical problem for a lot of Australians.
Speaker 4: You're not just going to kind of make.
Speaker 5: Us forget by just checking on a TikTok and using some pink font The.
Speaker 3: Other thing I wondered Liz is she says, you know, the reasonable price for a couple hundred bucks, what do you reckon landlords would think of the housing saying a couple hundred bucks that would be a reasonable.
Speaker 2: Thing to charge.
Speaker 1: That was the point that I was going to make, because even if that's what you meant, two hundred bucks a week for a two better is completely unreasonable.
Speaker 4: That is way too low.
Speaker 1: Even if we did live in utopia, no reasonable person would be like, well, I'm only paying two hundred bucks. This is the most populated city in our nation, it is the most expensive city in our nation.
Speaker 4: It is a wonderful.
Speaker 1: Place to live, but gosh, do you have to pay for the privilege two hundred bucks for a too better? I mean, even if we were doing incredibly well, that wouldn't be reasonable for landlords and never going to.
Speaker 4: Drop that low exactly. And the other thing is, whose mortgage is two hundred bucks? Whose mortgage?
Speaker 5: The average mortgage has gone up by thirty thousand dollars in the last year because we've had something like twelve intestate rises, no sign of relief anytime soon, and so you cannot expect landlords to bear the brunt of this cost of living and inflation crisis.
Speaker 4: They have to pass it on.
Speaker 5: The majority of landlords are mom and dad investors with one investment property. They themselves are struggling with unaffordable housing. And so to say yeah, yeah, no, they should just only be charging two hundred bucks a week, that's ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Are to nonsense.
Speaker 1: And this couldn't come at a worse time for the Housing Minister or the men's.
Speaker 4: Government, by the way, because I remember.
Speaker 1: Just yesterday we were talking about the facts that despite being in power for eighteen months now and for saying till they were blue in the face, oh housing, housing crisis is our number one priority. Took them eighteen months to ask the relevant department for a flow chart of approvals.
Speaker 4: How do you get a building?
Speaker 1: How do you get a house up off the ground? And this government, the New South Wales government.
Speaker 4: Realized where the problem.
Speaker 1: Check out this flow chart that took them three months to put together. So firstly, you're the government and you didn't know your own process, the process in your own state to build a home. You've just realized it's a disaster. We've got to reform it, okay. And then the next day, your housing minister goes on radio and tells everyone she reckons a too bat costs two hundred bucks a week. I mean, I think the housing crisis is far worse than any of these guys are remotely aware of.
Speaker 3: I've got to say the most disturbing part of that discussion was nothing to do with housing prices. But when you said most young people are staying at home till they're twenty five, I've got twin nineteen year olds. I'm thinking another six years. Dear lord, that's just depressed me now. But speaking of depressing, you know, look at every area at the moment in our nation and the government are just failing miserably, whether it's immigration, housing, detainees, energy, the cost of living. They just are getting everything wrong. So why when you've got a government that can't manage anything, would you trust them to decide what you can and can't say on social media or read on social media, even if you should thought they should have that sort of power, Would you trust this government to get anything right? The Communications Minister, Michelle Roland went on radio with Ben f Fordham to talk about the Misinformation Bill, which they're hoping to get through Parliament in the next week, and ben Fordham quickly found out that the Communications Minister is completely at odds with her own Safety Commissioner about exactly what this Miscommunication Bill will look like and the consequences it will have for Australians.
Speaker 2: Have a listen at how mixed up she is.
Speaker 11: We'd like to discuss the misinformation laws. I know that Australians, including myself, are concerned about the Misinformation Bill that Labor is introduced to Parliament. Is the point of this bill to minimize the amount of content that Australians can see online?
Speaker 1: Not at all? Then?
Speaker 11: Okay. Some are saying that this acts as a recalibration for a whole range of human rights playing out online, including freedom of speech. Do you agree?
Speaker 10: I don't, The.
Speaker 11: Minister, You've got a bit of an issue because I've just put two statements to you that you have disagreed with. Both statements come from your e Safety Commissioner, julianman Grant.
Speaker 3: Seriously, this government cannot get anything right. If they're serious about this piece of legislation, and they know how contentious it is, you would think they would have this absolutely nailed down. They are making it up as they go and of all the things to make up as you go, censoring citizens and they can't even get that right. I'm talking as if it were a legitimate thing. We obviously know it's not. My point is you just can't trust this government with anything at all.
Speaker 2: Why would you trust them with speech?
Speaker 4: Well, I don't think anybody does.
Speaker 1: I'd get to speak to any Australian who is in the bureaucracy who is a fan of this bill whatsoever. No one wants to be censored, whether they're on the right or the left. Even the left isn't championing this. The alb and Easy government is, the Online Ey Safety Commissioner is. But other than the people who want to get the bill up, nobody is a fan of this. And the fact that they still have no idea what they're doing when there's only two sitting weeks left, you don't know.
Speaker 4: What you're doing.
Speaker 1: But you're just going to ram this through both houses. We know it's currently with the Senate. And remember this is playing out in tandem with this other bill that's concerned with censoring anyone under sixteen years of age. They just won't be allowed to use these social media platforms now, we have been told ad nauseum, this is about keeping the youth safe. I maintain you've known that social media and youth are a bad mix for as long as the two have both existed at the same time. There's mountains of research on it. But they got really concerned all of a sudden, just two weeks after they passed their Digital ID bill. Now we already know due to the brilliant work of David Shuebridge. Yes I just called greens work brilliant. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, yes, twice a day. Well, he took them to task on this. We got their own admission that yes, this would mean absolutely checking everyone's ID online. The only way to do that is, of course, with the digital ID. Well ben Fordham ask Communications Minister Michelle Roland about this bill and if you're making sure that these people under sixteen years of age can't use Instagram, can't use Facebook and the like, why aren't you censoring them on Snapchat as well, which is one of the most popular platforms in that age bracket.
Speaker 11: You say messaging and gaming services will not be in scope of this definition, So where does Snapchat fall?
Speaker 10: Well, Snapchat under the online Safety Act, depending on how it's defined. Coult for within that definition. But we will go through in a methodical way through having these criteria and the East Safety Commissioner applying what will be a very transparent process.
Speaker 11: If you're banning Instagram, Facebook and TikTok and Twitter, you've got a band snapchat right, well, that is an argument.
Speaker 10: That has been put. We are very prepared to go through having a process of criteria and seeing how this fits against it. Also, as your listeners, I think we'll understand some of these platforms do present themselves in different ways. They will argue, for example, that they are messaging services and not social media services, but we need to assess that objectively against a transparent set of criteria.
Speaker 1: So the bill is before Parliament now and you're still saying, oh, we need to assess that. Are you unaware you've only got two setting weeks left in the year. That interview by Fordham was just brilliant from start to finish.
Speaker 4: He ran rings around that woman.
Speaker 1: Simply proving this government has no idea what they're doing. And we're talking about the most dystopian bills I think that have ever entered the Australian Parliament.
Speaker 5: It's pretty scary to think where this is all going, and it reminds me of something else that's going on in the realm of free speech, and.
Speaker 4: That is over in the UK.
Speaker 5: A columnist for the Daily Telegraph, Lovely Alison, had a unfriendly knock on her door on Remembrance Dage just this last Sunday. Police showed up her to her house and said they were investigating some sort of non crime hate speech. When she asked, well, what is this non crime hate speech, they wouldn't tell her. When she asked who was making the complaint, they also wouldn't tell her that either. It is rather dystopian. What kind of a world are we entering into. When the Essex Police only solved twelve percent of a violent assault against the person, yet they're spending all their time going around and policing people's tweets from over a year ago. It does seem rather disturbing.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I mean, at best, this is an example of misplaced priorities. They're investigating ancient tweets, as you said, from a year ago that they told her has since been deleted, though they wouldn't tell her exactly which tweet it was. Than that it's from an anonymous complaint. She wasn't allowed to know who made the complaint. But the most disturbing part is just massive overreach where instead of investigating actual crimes that are affecting people right now, they're trawling back through social media at the behest of anonymous complainants and knocking on people's doors at nine point thirty a m. In the morning asking would you like to come for an interview. We can't tell you what it's about. We can't tell you who made the complaint. Who's going to agree to go along to the police station. Under those kind of circumstances, how can.
Speaker 1: You build a defense when you don't know what they're referring to? You know, it's a nonviolent hate crime, so why am I even in this position? Obviously that rules out incitement if it's nonviolent. The sheer nonsense of this, and now she can't do anything to build a defense if you don't know what the charge actually is.
Speaker 5: If they're not solving the violent crime, why are they wasting their time with the non violent hate speech?
Speaker 4: Seriously, where are their priorities?
Speaker 3: And again it just shows you it's not just Americans who are saying thank God for Donald Trump. People all over the Western world are saying thank God for Trump. Let's hope it reverberates to Western countries right around the world.
Speaker 2: We're going to go to a break.
Speaker 3: When we come back, we'll look at what's making news in the papers tomorrow, including the cost of renewables is going to be a lot more than the Albanezer government have let on.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about that in just a moment. Welcome back.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm sure you've figured out already that renewables are going to cost us a lot more than we've been told. But Liz, it's even worse than that.
Speaker 1: Color me shop to the front page of the Daily Telly Labor accused of hiding real cost of renewables only grid by five.
Speaker 4: Hundred billion dollars.
Speaker 1: The real cost of building a renewables only power grid is more than half a trillion dollars higher than the alban Easy government has claimed.
Speaker 2: Bombshell new research reveals.
Speaker 1: According to the modeling, replacing a predominantly coal fired power system with mainly solar and wind will set Australia back at least six hundred and forty two billion dollars, not the one hundred and twenty two billion dollars, Labor has claimed. I mean, are any of us surprised? Are any of us surprised whatsoever? Thank goodness for the people doing this research. But I think the vast majority, especially of you guys, we already knew this.
Speaker 2: Yeah we did.
Speaker 3: And of course then they're making this argument against nuclear it's too expensive and talk about hypocritical. They can't even get the numbers right on their own renewables project. Or maybe it's more sinister than that, because the Opposition Energy spokesperson Tet O'Brien is saying, no, no, it's not that they've got it wrong.
Speaker 2: It's that they're deliberately hiding the cost.
Speaker 3: From Australia in because if we knew just how much it would cost, no one would agree to this madness prayer.
Speaker 4: That's exactly right.
Speaker 5: And look the problem with renewables is you have to build all the transmission lines and extra infrastructure to make it usable. We're talking about building around twenty seven thousand kilometers of new transmission lines. That doesn't come cheap. This is going to cost a mutza, but at least be honest about it.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Let's go to the Herald Sunlink. You've got there, Yes on there, fray So.
Speaker 5: In Melbourne, pro Palestinian activists have been slammed after forcing Maya to cancel the opening event for its iconic Christmas windows display, ignoring pleas from police to respect the holiday ritual. The so called disrupt Wars group will converge on Burk Street Wall on Sunday, with Victoria Police saying the force would have a visible presence as a result. Jewish leaders have described the plan as hateful, while the Victorian Chamber of Commerce and Industry has called for urgent action to the ugly protest ruining the city. This is what I have always said, Anti Semitism is not just a Jewish problem. It is an Australian problem because this sort of hatred will spread and will impact the lives of all Australians. Now, I don't think it's any coincidence that Maya was founded by a Russian Jew, Sidney Meyer, and now they are choosing this to be the target of their hateful demonstration. It is absolutely despicable.
Speaker 3: I think we've got an example of the poster that's been used to promote this protest, and bear in mind police have begged the protesters, Please don't do this.
Speaker 2: It's Christmas. Let people enjoy it.
Speaker 3: Every year there's about two point four million people who visit the Maya window display. It's only the second time in seventy years that they have canceled the opening. The other occasion was in twenty twenty because of COVID and a pro Palestinian organizer said, and I quote, children in Australia shouldn't have more rights to enjoy Christmas than the children in Palestine. Talk about warped thinking if that's the attitude, But there you have it. Maya have decided to cancel it. And I got to say I was really online people getting stuck into.
Speaker 2: Maya saying, oh your cowards.
Speaker 3: But Maya, what choice do they have when you've got huge numbers of people going to turn up and protest, You're going to have families kids there. I don't think Maya have got much choice. It's still on my it's on the Victorian police. And I mean, I don't want to say this ad nauseum because we've been saying it for the last twelve months.
Speaker 2: But this has been allowed to get to this.
Speaker 3: Stage because authorities in Victoria, in New South Wales failed to knit this stuff in the bud in October last year.
Speaker 2: Here we are.
Speaker 1: And what's harrowing about this is the article says that these these protesters, the so called disrupt Wars group, have ignored please from police to respect the holiday ritual. Our police are pleading with these guys. You don't negotiate with Jarris.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: This is like we all saw on the steps of the Opera house being like, well, where's the stormtroopers, man Premier Inns. If you're ever gonna use them, get them out here and now fail that test. And now these guys are basically waging a war on a widely celebrated Western holiday, and our police, our law enforces, are pleading with them, please don't do it, and they're just like, nah, stuff is, We're going.
Speaker 4: To do it. I'm sorry, how does this work again?
Speaker 1: I thought we had laws in New South Wales where you had to get.
Speaker 2: A permit to.
Speaker 4: Do something like this.
Speaker 1: Obviously they don't have a permit, therefore it's an unlawful protest. So what's going on here that they're like, oh, okay, we pleaded with you, you said no over for a free past, then okay, maya cancel it. Yeah, we're just going to have to bli down and take it.
Speaker 4: From these guys.
Speaker 5: There must be something going on in Victoria, because also in Victoria is another example of gross government incompetence. The Education Minister Ben Carroll is facing serious questions about his handling of the VCE exam blunder, as he was forced to concede that he knew about the debacle a month ago but only received a high level briefing on Wednesday night. Now, the Victorian Opposition leader has called on the State Ombudsman Marlow Barrowanath to investigate this significant error, which has enabled thousands of students to access cheat sheets. Now, this is not the first time the VCE has come under fire for gross miscompetence. In last year, thousands of students were awarded a bonus point because there was an error in the math exam. It was so bad that a group of Monash University professors got together and said all five questions in the zam displayed gross misunderstandings of basic mathematical concepts.
Speaker 4: There seems to be something with labor and numbers here.
Speaker 1: At least they consistent ten.
Speaker 3: You've got thousands of students doing their year twelve exams and for the Education Minister to have known about this for a month and he's only just received a proper briefing in the last twenty four to forty.
Speaker 2: Eight hours is just another example. I don't know what government ministers do. Chairman's lounge.
Speaker 3: Probably Let's go to the front page of the Townshaw bulletin mild stomping ground.
Speaker 2: We want a breakup, reads the headline.
Speaker 3: Shock Polling says that the North wants to split with the south of the state.
Speaker 2: Now this is not a new concept.
Speaker 3: This has been bandied around by numerous politicians and business leaders for a long time, but new polling has found not only do Northerners support breaking away from the rest of the state, but that Townsville is the preferred home of a hypothetic North Queensland States capital. Matt Canavan is one of the politicians who's been pushing for this. He pointed out that twenty five percent of the economic output in Queensland per person comes from North Queensland compared to South Queensland. And of course at the election we had Stephen Miles promising fifty cent bus fares if you lived in the south of Queensland.
Speaker 2: And Olympic Games.
Speaker 3: If you lived in the South of Queensland and yet so much of the economic activity is coming from the north, I well understand having lived in North Queensland, why people there feel completely forgotten and wouldn't mind their own state with who knows Bob katter as the Premier of North queens and.
Speaker 4: Their streets would be paved with gold.
Speaker 1: It would be like this dystopian wasteland in the south if they actually did, just be like, we're breaking away and we're keeping everything.
Speaker 2: Indeed, we're going to go to a break when we come back.
Speaker 3: One of those stories that could only happen in Australia a family come home to find an animal, not their something.
Speaker 2: Else in the bed with their pet. Actually it's coming up in a.
Speaker 3: Even noticed how so many sports people are just brilliant athletes. I mean they could turn their hand to any sport and be successful. Take Steph Curry from the Golden State Warriors, for instance, brilliant basketball player, but I'll tell you what, he can hit a golf ball as well.
Speaker 2: Check out this shot.
Speaker 10: Is he can really play.
Speaker 1: Boy?
Speaker 12: It's just right at it if it gets there?
Speaker 4: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: Unbelievable basketballer, unbelievable golfer. So you can imagine that people thought that Caitlin Clark from the Women's NBA would also be great on the golf course, and so when she played a exhibition game, they crowded around as she made her tea shot.
Speaker 2: And here's what happened, Jesus ChRI.
Speaker 3: That is an absolute shank and had people diving for cab check that out. They regretted standing so close Steph Curry, much better golfer.
Speaker 2: Caitlin Clark should stick to basketball.
Speaker 5: Stick to what you're good at, I say, but good on her for giving it a go. I mean, I'm not sure I would have been much better, but look I'm not a professional athlete, so that's okay.
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 5: Another story that we saw this week, which was so funny and only in Australia, folks, only in Australia. An Adelaide couple walked into their bedroom and saw something quite remarkable. A koala was asleep in their bed with their dog just meters away.
Speaker 4: Check this out.
Speaker 12: Oh my god, Oh my god, what what what do I do?
Speaker 5: Win?
Speaker 2: What do I do?
Speaker 4: Has been?
Speaker 12: Oh my god?
Speaker 2: What do I do?
Speaker 5: So many questions, how did it get there? Why was it just hanging out? What is going on? I mean, that is unbelievable.
Speaker 1: And if that couple thought they had anything of a guard.
Speaker 4: Dog in their pant dog, that would just.
Speaker 2: Be like mate.
Speaker 1: Seriously, at one point they were in bed together. This couple walked through the door and the koala is just looking up like welcome home. I guess hi, guys.
Speaker 3: They should be thinking they're lucky stars. I would much rather find a koala in my bed than a snake. That's all we've got time for tonight stick Around. Coming up is the Rida Pedi Sho