Speaker 1: I get aur groovers. Welcome to another installment of the show Tippany and Cook. David Bryan, Kevin Patrick James Gillespie, the less talented of the two Gillespies I've had on the show today, joins us.
Speaker 2: Will say lighter, tiff Hi, tiv.
Speaker 3: Hi, harps.
Speaker 4: I'm standing up at my standing desk for the first time in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: How is it? It's good? Huh.
Speaker 4: I'll pa sick of it soon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I need to.
Speaker 3: What exactly is the point of a standing desk.
Speaker 1: Again, because we weren't built to sit galispo because flexes.
Speaker 2: It gives us time.
Speaker 1: So us and all those muscles and you old people, I mean, feel free.
Speaker 2: That's your age. It's a wonder you can even get in and out of a chair.
Speaker 1: But that's true us youngsters, Us youngsters, we need to maintain integrity through the hip muscles and lower back.
Speaker 3: And so you can get so you can get into your portion out again. Yeah, because it's so.
Speaker 1: Low, saving up for fucking salad.
Speaker 2: So don't start.
Speaker 1: Only one of us on this call who's rich and were to get this. There's only one of us who's sold more than three books and mum bought too, so that was fucking tragic.
Speaker 2: How are you gless, bo?
Speaker 3: Yeah good, Yeah, I'm sitting. I'm sitting at a desk, by the way, and I never intend to be standing.
Speaker 1: I am also sitting at a desk, Tiff. What led to the new kind of standing format.
Speaker 4: I've been doing a lot of work lately and a lot of sitting, and so I just decided to stand up. And it's good if I leave it up, then I'll come in and I won't just sit down as it to have it.
Speaker 1: I used to think that too when I bought my million dollar two motor electric desk.
Speaker 2: And all I do is sit at the fucking thing.
Speaker 1: I just tell everyone how good I was, because I'd like sit for four hours, stand four hours, like hour on, hour off. All I do is sit now. So I'm with gillespo So I'm full of shit. So don't listen to me.
Speaker 3: At least you know you could stand if you wanted to.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, Tiff. Here's my question.
Speaker 1: Before we talk to the great Man and we tap into that big, massive prefrontal cortex of his and all the other bits, can you focus and concentrate as much when you stand is it the same, better or worse?
Speaker 2: Because it took me a minute to get used to it.
Speaker 4: No, I think it's the same for me. It's good, it's not, no, no different, okay, just a better position. I don't I find when I sit I end up slouching and wriggling and fidgeting. So just is me a break from that?
Speaker 2: Well, beautiful, mister Gillespie.
Speaker 1: So we spoke a while ago, and we've spoken like periodically and pieces about the idea of building a cult and the different kinds of cults. And you know, I think a lot of pyramid marketing is cultish, and you know, a cult doesn't have to be religious.
Speaker 2: We know that.
Speaker 1: But you actually created a kind of a or you wrote like a five step playbook, yes, a kind of a how to guide, which I think is so generous of you, like literally a five step plan on building a cult for those would be cult leaders who listen.
Speaker 2: And I know who you are. What was the prompt for this?
Speaker 3: Like what, well, talking to you last week last time was the prompt because I said, you know, you really just need to create a cult. And I said, it's a pretty simple formula. And I didn't really run through what the formula was, so I was a bit of a teaser for you, but I thought, you know, I actually have never written down what the formula for creating a cult is, so I thought I should do that, So I wrote that piece.
Speaker 2: Is it pretty similar? I mean, you'll tell us.
Speaker 1: But the five steps and the principles that work in say a religious or spiritual context similar in other contexts or areas.
Speaker 3: It's in everything. Because the cult, what we're calling a cult, is actually just a hack to the way humans are wired. So, and we've talked about this before, which is the key differentiator for humans as a species and why we're able to dominate the planet even though we're a terrible predator, no teeth, no venom, no scales, nothing, you know, we're basically meat on feet for an alligator or crocodile or a great white shark or even a koala bear. Really, then, how we defeat that is that we're the only species that can cooperate with strangers and regularly does so we can work in groups of one hundred or ten thousand, a million and be just fine. No other species on the planet can do that. Now, people, whenever I say they'd always say, oh, yeah, but what about ants. Well, ants aren't individuals. Ants are an animal with severable moving parts. So you know, an ants nest or a bees hive is all one organism. It just has bits that move independently. They're not individuals. You don't see bees making individual decisions about what they're going to do today. Oh, I feel like I want to take the day off today, so I'll let you guys go out and get the pollen. That's not how bees work. They're part of one organism. And humans, however, unlike every other species, can cooperate with strangers because we have some built in mechanism that allow us to do it. That we've evolved relatively recently, and a key mechanism is that we do things for the approval of others. So dogs don't care what other dogs think of them, and neither the sharks. Humans care a lot what other humans think of them, and it motivates us, so we are motivated to do things that we think other people will like. Now you can imagine that that would be a pretty powerful glue for getting us to cooperate in large groups. If we get a large group of people together and give them a motivation and some of us start doing it, then the rest of this will start doing it too, because we want to please those that are doing the thing that obviously large numbers of humans want us to do. So that automatic grouping or coalescing, where we always automatically seek the approval of others, works to make us very powerful because we can cooperate in large groups of strangers, and it means we won't intentionally, most of the time, hurt each other because that's generally not going to make us popular with other humans. So that's not something you can say about any other species. They will behave that way with their own family members because of DNA, and we could go to that in great detail, but we won't, but beyond that, they won't. And so the difficulty then for other species is that when you get two groups of elephants coming together, if they're not related to each other, they're the enemy, whereas with humans they are potentially a uniting force, which makes them all much more powerful. So that's the advantage. The downside to this is that it can be manipulated by bad actors, and that's what a cult is. A cult is a bad actor who creates a system of belief for a large group of humans that is all about empowering them to achieve their aims by getting people to behave that way. And it's just a hack on that self approval system, and it's a pretty easy thing to do. All you've got to do is well, a be charismatic. So I guess that rules you an eye out, Craig, but you know, TIFF's got a chance. And the definition of charismatic here is someone who people want to follow. So if it doesn't necessarily mean good looking, it means someone who people find compelled to listen to.
Speaker 1: Yes, so, and I guess attractive, not in the physical sense, but that they are attracted to their energy, like you said, their charisma, their ideas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well it can be in the physical sense too, you know, and often is. But there's also plenty of examples where the leaders of cults or the things that I'm describing here, and I keep using the word cult, but it describes anything, right, It describes a political party, it describes a religion. It does describe what people traditionally call a cult, but any kind of movement where large groups of people are mobilized to a cause by a leader, and that leader.
Speaker 2: Is by definition, that would make religion's.
Speaker 3: Cults of course, yes so, And it makes the MAGA crowd in the United States a cult. It makes anyone who gets that absolutely devoted following where And you can tell when it's a cult because it's impervious to logic. We'll talk about that in a little bit more detail about how that's achieved. But it's impervious to logic. You can throw facts at it till you blow on the face, and the people who are believers in the cult will not change their point of view at all.
Speaker 1: Ever, And I guess you could also call sporting fans cult members in that sense that it's very emotional, it's very irrational, it's very us versus them. It's like we're the best, everyone else is the worst. We're right, they're wrong, they're shit, We're great. That's cultie.
Speaker 3: It's a weak form of it. Yes, so, there are probably a core group of fans who very definitely behave like a cult. What they often like is a leader though, so a leader is a core component of this. There has to be someone who is projecting the core message of the cult, and a sports team is not a leader. A sports team is a common interest and yes, there are people who are radically committed to it and will brook no criticism of it at all, but it's still what I would call a weak version of it. But it is using the same mechanism in the human brain, which is they're doing things that they think the other people who believe the same things as them will approve of, and it will therefore increase their status with those people. It's the same, by the way, at an even looser level, when someone goes to say, you know, a stand up comedian performance, if the audience is laughing, you're laughing even if it's not funny, because it's part of a group of humans behaving in a way that pleases the other humans. So those are all examples of that in action, but it isn't. None of those things are a cult unless you've got that core ingredient of a leader. So you need a leader. The leader has to be charismatic in some way. There has to be something about that leader that causes people to listen to what they say, because if you don't listen to what the leader says, you can't create a cult. So, because the core in a cult is what comes out of a person's mouth, what are they saying that you are finding as an intrinsically powerful belief to hold so at the core of every cult. So if we look at, say, for example, the Nazis, which your classic cult, you have a leader there not particularly good looking, but very charismatic in you know, tif, I see a smiling she obviously found Hitler quite attractive, but there, you know, I think generally not regarded as particularly good looking. But he said some really powerful things, and he said things to people who wanted to hear exactly these things. So when he rose to power at the end, well in between the wars, I mean, Germany was being destroyed by dream punishments driven largely by France economic punishments that were destroying the German economy. Life was getting hard and harder in that economy, and they wanted to hear someone who had a solution for them. And Hitler didn't just offer a solution which would be dry enough and could be any political party. It came with a really nice message. It came with a message that said, you are part of the Aryan race. You, the German people, the German speaking people, are part of the Aryan race. You are superior to all of these other people who are trying to take you down, and all of these other people are your enemies. So he gave them an ideal, which is you are special. The people who follow me, the people who believe in the things I say, are special people, you know, gifted people, you know, apart from the others, and created a US and them narrative which he then just fed into with the other elements of cult building. But that's a key part of creating a cult. So when you create your cult, Craig, let's assuming you can be charismatic to have one.
Speaker 1: Can you not talk about my cult straight after you talk about God?
Speaker 2: Say?
Speaker 3: But but when you create it, you're going to have to have that key message. You're going to have to have the message that the harp Rights are better people, Okay, just better people in general. They're they're fitter, they're healthier, they're you know, you're going to have to find some characteristics that unite the harp Rights in their belief that they are better than everybody else, okay, And so that you need to create that us and them narrative because that's a key part of this cognitive tool that we have in our brain. There has to be there has to be an us who are bound together by a common belief, and there has to be them who are the out siders who don't believe these things.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow, I've never been less inclined to start a cult.
Speaker 1: But it is I remember you were saying, and we'll jump straight back into where you're at. But one of the things that really resonated with me last time we spoke about this was you said, you know those religions where there's these kind of world ending or world changing events that are coming on a certain day, and these people in these cults believe this, and then the day comes and goes and the event didn't happen. So rather than people going, oh, well, old mates full of shit. So clearly he's not connected to God. Clearly he or she doesn't really have any mystical, magical, mythical insight.
Speaker 2: And they don't leave the cult.
Speaker 1: Some of them do, but a lot of them, you know, stay and just kind of like reason and logic and critical thinking goes out the window because they're so intertwined with this thing that the idea of leaving is scarier than the idea that old mate might be wrong.
Speaker 3: And that's another key element. So that is demanding escalating investment. So you have to demand that people commit more and more and more to the cult. So the example you're talking about there, well, I mean there were quite a few in the eighteen hundreds, but the biggest and most famous one was William Miller. William Miller who was a preacher in the eighteen forties, and he predicted that on October twenty second, eighteen forty four, Christ would return to Earth and the gates to Heaven would be open, and only true believers would be admitted in. And so his cult consisted of the true believers and everybody else. And the true believers, yeah, I ended up being about one hundred thousand of them by the time you got to October twenty second. But he demanded escalating commitment. So in order to demonstrate their belief, they had to rid themselves of all worldly possessions because they wouldn't need them because on October twenty second they would be being admitted to heaven.
Speaker 2: So admitted very clinical.
Speaker 1: It's not unlike, it's not unlike I could be fucking this up.
Speaker 2: I think I've got it right.
Speaker 1: The Jehovah's witnesses who think who believe one hundred and forty four thousand will be transcended to heaven on the last day, but there's a lot more than one hundred and forty four thousand Jehovah's witnesses.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I guess someone going to miss out.
Speaker 2: But that's a problem.
Speaker 3: But he regarded part of his thing was you had to be you had to demonstrate total commitment. So his believers gave away their property, abandon their farms, gave away their world It possessions, and were regarded as being totally insane by almost everybody else. But that actually helped the narrative that proves the US versus them. You know, we are the true believers. Those people who are making fun of us are the evil people who don't understand. So now the fact that we are now passed October twenty second, eighteen forty four and still Jesus hasn't turned up might seem like it's a bit of a problem.
Speaker 2: And you're right, Jesus hasn't turned up.
Speaker 1: That's the name of the show, tip and so what we're going to call it Jesus hasn't turned up. With the little hands in the air emoji, do you know Jesus hasn't turned up emoji the oldest shrug emojill.
Speaker 3: So anyway, October twenty third, eighteen forty four rolls around. Everything's still the same as it was the day before. And that's subsequently became called the Great Disappointment, which to me is a bit of an understatement. So the disappointment occurred, and there were some people who that caused to lose faith, believe it or not, who left the church and who didn't believe any longer. But there was a fairly large group of people who said, ah, well, we just we must have must have misunderstood the calculations or misunderstood the scriptures, et cetera, et cetera. And in fact it split the place. The things split into about three or four main groupings of people who had different explanations for why, but they all believed that it was still right. It was just something had been misinterpreted. The one that Brian in accounting that's right. Well, one of the groups actually survived and now has millions of followers today. So the group that survived we now call the Seventh day Adventist Church, and they were one of the groups of the Miller Rights that came through the disappointment, and their rationalization for why it didn't work was, oh, listen, old mate, Miller. He stuffed up the message because what was actually going to happen was Jesus was going to come to his place in heaven, and all of this was supposed to occur in heaven, and it did occur in heaven from people who had already passed, and and so you stuffed it up thinking that it was going to happen on earth. The convenient thing about the in Heaven story is that there was no way to verify whether it had happened or not.
Speaker 2: I know it did happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you just enjoyed.
Speaker 1: There really just not anywhere that we can verify. But it definitely did.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, you know you don't know my boyfriend. He's from Canada, so the I knew you had a boyfriend. So anyway, the reason that that happens from a cognitive perspective, from a biochemical perspective is you know what accountants called the sunk cost fallacy, which is the more we invest in something, the less easy we find it to pull away from it. So the more invested we are in the message, if we've given away, our home, our car, our farm, towards our wife, et cetera, et cetera. Because of this belief escalating investment required of this cult, then even though it didn't happen, it still must be true because I've given up everything, so that the thought process is I've given up everything for this, therefore it must be the truth. And you can see that same process occurring in cults all the time. It makes them impervious to logic.
Speaker 1: Well, also when you think about the fact that people have like got this, some of them ten twenty thirty forty year relationship with this ideology, philosophy, theology, fill in, fill in your own ology, and their identity is intertwined with that. And if you tell them your identity like that thing that you identify with, that thing that is essentially you, it isn't true. Well that's got to be terrifying for them. So they don't know who they are now. So you defy reason and logic and evidence and go. You know, I was thinking as you were talking a little bit, this is not extremely dissimilar to your theory or not your theory. A lot of people's theory and evidence and science around seed oils versus mainstream Yes, dietetics.
Speaker 3: Yeah, say again, it's the same cost fallacy. It's we've invested so much in this, it must be right, yes, and so it becomes impervious to science that proves it isn't, because that would mean that you would have to un leave everything you've spent your entire life believing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you think that?
Speaker 1: Like? Why are we We're getting philosophical now and we haven't even done step one, which is isolate the subject and become the source of validation. This could be the longest Gillespie show ever. By the way, everyone, it is a really good article. It is on if you go to de Gillespie dot substack dot com you'll find it there.
Speaker 2: It's one of the best articles I think you've ever written. I loved it. But I'm fascinated with this shit. I've got no idea what I was saying. Carry on.
Speaker 3: So yeah, So there's different steps to this. The first one if you're going to go full cold, right, I mean, there's different ways to do this. Many of the sort of more modern day cults start from they've got a bit of a leg up because they've got social media to help them. So social media sort of reinforces the mechanisms I've been talking about. There, you no longer have to get in a group of people and convince them personally of something. You can access millions of people simultaneously with a message, and some of them will catch on that message and receive validation from it, and the algorithm will then keep feeding them even more of that message and more validation. So it forces them into an echo chamber where their own mind becomes a prison guard, defending their commitment to the cult and causing them to attack anything that arms the cult. So social media is a massive accelerator for this massive accelerator. But back in the olden days before social media, if you wanted to start a cult, you actually had to isolate the subject. So you had to find someone who was susceptible to your messaging cut them off from any external value because they're open to persuasion by someone else. In the early stages of recruitment, if you're just talking to them one on one, then they might find you very charismatic and believe everything you say, and then they know they walk out in the street and someone else says something else to them as well, and they think, oh, hang on, maybe what harp said is a load of bs I better reconsider. So to avoid that kind of thing happening, you've got to cut them off from that sort of communication. You've got to make sure that the only messaging they're hearing is your messaging, which so that usually involves, you know, isolating them from their family, isolating them from their friends, other networks. That can't be done instantly, but you start in order to do that, you create very very frequent meetings with them where you're controlling the messaging. As I said, this is a bit old school because you don't need to do that so much now because the algorithm does it for you. So as soon as someone starts to indicate a preference for a message, the algorithm starts isolating them anyway, so that all they see is their echo chamber of the things they think they believe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's it's so true. It's yeah.
Speaker 1: Obviously, all it comes up on mine is health stuff, fitness stuff, motorbike stuff, and stuff that for the most part I align with anyway. So yeah, it's just feeding you the stuff that you want to keep looking at.
Speaker 3: That's right. And but once you've got them captured. Then the last key ingredient that you've got to, you know, the icing on the cake, is you've got to control the narrative. You've got to you've got to make sure that the messaging becomes your messaging, so people will still be exposed to media which says something about your leader that isn't pleasant. You know, believe it or not, there are people out there saying really bad things about Trump, for example, and yeah, apparently and myself back up off the ground. And if you don't want that to start affecting the movement and start chipping people off the edge, you've got to give a counter narrative that is just as strong, and you've got to put it on maximum blast. So you've got to within the cult, you've got to be distributing your own version of everything, your own version of events, your own counter narrative, your own plausible deniability for everything, because people outside the cult will start saying that the bigger the cult becomes, the more nasty people will get about you, its leader and its followers. You know, it's like the poor Miller rights. You know, people calling them learns because they gave away everything because you know, the world was going to end, you have to have a counter message going within the cult where you are controlling the messaging and the language, so that they've always got something to lean back on when someone from outside says something nasty about their leader or them, they've got an answer to whatever the event is.
Speaker 1: Wow, I'm sure I was in a cult when I was younger. But you know what is interesting about just in terms of not so much specifically about religion, but happens to be religious groups like just individual groups, like there's whatever. There is twelve major religions thereabouts and four thousand minor religions there abouts three to four thousand, and overwhelmingly everyone who is in any of those religions thinks pretty much that every other religion is wrong. It's, you know, like it's the only kind of environment where all these cult kind.
Speaker 3: Of but that's a critical component. You have to believe that or you're not in a cult.
Speaker 1: Well, but isn't it funny how you can suspend intelligence or reason or logic when you go, Okay, I just ended up in this group. Now I'm in this group, and there's another four thousand or so groups that don't believe what don't have our ideology, philosophy, theology.
Speaker 3: They're wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course that's the thing.
Speaker 1: But what's the odds that, statistically, I just landed in the one group that's got the direct hotline to God. That's well, the one true whatever, even statistically, it's.
Speaker 3: The one thing we all believe is that we're always right. So the thing that every minute that you spend in that cult reinforces your belief that you have made the correct decision and that everybody else has made the wrong decision. And every minute that you're in there, the sunk cost fallacy gets stronger and stronger because you've devoted more time now to this than anything else, so you've made the correct decision until you get to the point like the Miller rights, where facts collide with with your beliefs and it still can't change things because you have then got the mindset this can't be true because I have invested so much in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now, I know we're going way beyond the Gillespie quota, So charge me tariff on this. I want to quickly go through. Give me like one two minutes on each of these. So the article is called well how to build a cult? Firstly, but then kind of the sub It goes straight down to I love this. The recipe a five step protocol for hijacking the human mind. Step one, so I want you to riff on this for a couple of minutes. Step one isolate the subject and become the sole source. We've kind of covered all this a bit, but at snapshot, become the sole source of validation.
Speaker 3: Okay, so this isn't as necessary these days, but if you're starting small and you need your core group of followers, this is what you need to do. You need to isolate them from people who will say bad things about your beliefs. So and you need to be a source of validation for them so that you are continuously reinforcing for them that they have made the correct decision. And so it's that simple. You just need to be that all encompassing source, and you need to cut them off from their sources of support. Now, as you grow, your cult starts to take on an automatic recruitment capability, because now you can use social media to achieve this same because the algorithms will automatically do this for you. So it'll give them validation, it'll show them only the things they want to see and it will make anything else foreign to them.
Speaker 1: Step two, create a system of variable rewards.
Speaker 3: Ah. Now we haven't talked about this one, but a critical component of this is that the oxytocin reward we get from believing that other people like what we're doing is, say, at level one hundred. It's a standard dopamine reward, just like the one we get from having sex or from gambling, et cetera, et cetera. And we've talked about this a lot, but the way our brain is wired is that we prefer uncertainty, and the way that works is it magnifies it, in fact, doubles the hit of dopamine we get from a rewarding experience if it's not definitely going to be delivered. So if we only get the rewarding thing every now and then, then the hit we get from exposure to it is double what it would be if we get it all the time. And colts use this quite powerfully in that they're not always your friend. They're not they're not always telling you you're the greatest person on earth. Sometimes they're telling you you're an idiot, or they're randomly punishing you. So one of the most powerful and effective methods that a cult leader can use is to make an example of someone who has betrayed the cult, So to take someone down in front of the other cult members. This is a non believer who has made a transgression against the beliefs of the cult. And if you do that every now and then and on a random schedule, and where no one knows for sure whether they might be next, the pleasure they receive from being part of this cult is twice as high as it would otherwise be. So while it seems cruel, it's a powerful motivator.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess, Like think about in Christianity, while in fundamental Christianity anyway, and most versions of Christianity, most denominations, you're taught that you were born a sinner, like you like babies sinners, and the only way that they can like can't behave their way out of it, Like you're just a sinner and you need redemption.
Speaker 3: Well, it's treata means keep them keen. You know it's where you get it. Yeah, treata mean keep them keen. Is if you're a member of a cult and then suddenly you're on the outside, Suddenly you're getting the cold shoulder you're being punished, then the thing you want most in the world is to once again be part of the cult. So it triggers an intense craving for the uniformity and the belonging that the colt gave you.
Speaker 1: Step three, establish a fortress of us versus them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this is the thing we're talking about before, the one that Hitler used with great effect, which is, you know, you are better than them, you the Aryan people. Yeah, you might feel like the world's against you, but you are better. You're fundamentally better people, and that's what unites us. You have to have something that you and you can see this playing out in the United States on a broader scale, you know, the immigrants of them and the ass says the people born here. So this is a really common narrative in cults, which is you latch onto a message it's already there. You can't. By the way, this is not something that you can just make up. It's much much harder if you make it up. You have to find something that your potential cult members do regard as a unifying feature. I mean, this is, at the end of the day, the fundamental basis for racism, which is you know, white people are all better than other people, et cetera, et cetera. So that's the the underlying mechanism that is being exploited by this. But you need to find a uniting thing that most of your followers will find, will agree is a common superior factor about them. Now, with the Miller Rights, it was their belief in that event, you know. And but you will find in every single cult there'll be something that unites them, and whether it's spoken or unspoken, it'll be a characteristic that they all regard as they share and the outsiders don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, will you kind of cover this one speaking William Miller demand escalating investment?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you just got to keep ramping up the ask. Right. Initially, it's very very simple. It's, you know, give me some of your time, you know, commit to being helping at this event. And then it turns into asking for money, and then it turns into asking for possessions, and then it turns into surrendering all worldly possessions and so on. So it's an escalating ask because you want people to get to the point where they have committed so much to it that they cannot walk away from it no matter what happens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I love this. I'm just going to read a little bit.
Speaker 1: On the prophest side Day, which was October twenty two, eight forty four. The followers gathered on hillsides and in churches, dressed in white robes to await their salvation, but the sun rose on October twenty third to a silent, unchanged world. This was the ultimate reality landmine. From an outsider, the conclusion was obvious. Miller was a fraud for the follower who had given up everything. However, admitting this was psychologically impossible. The pain of acknowledging that their entire investment, their home, reputation, life's meaning was for nothing was too great.
Speaker 2: That's so interesting, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so so bloody.
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Last one, step five, Step five, if you're paying attention and taking notes, seize control of the narrative.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So this is the one I'm talking about before, where you have to keep the messaging. You can't just start a col and then walk away. This is a full time job. You've got to keep the messaging going. I mean, and I give the example in the article of nineteen eighty four where they took it to the extreme of controlling the language. Followers can't conceive of something like freedom or rebellion or individuality if the words don't exist. So you see this sort of thing happening in North Korea, for example, where there's just some concepts that no longer exist in their language. And that's because they've had such absolute control over what people say and believe that they really don't know of anything else and can't even conceive of it. And that's where you want to get to with your cult that you're making, is you want to get to a point where the only narrative comes from you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I love this sentence. This five step protocol is a recipe for building a cage inside a human mind.
Speaker 2: Well, that's fucking terrifying.
Speaker 3: It works, it works. It's taking advantage of a bug in the way we work. I mean, it's both a feature and a bug. It's the feature that makes us the most powerful animal on the planet, but it's also a bug that can be exploited.
Speaker 1: Well, I might have to put my cult plans on hold because I feel a little bit out of alignment at the moment.
Speaker 3: You feel the one thing I didn't put in there, and this is probably A really important requirement is you have to be a psychopath. So normal humans would find this protocol really really hard to do because it involves really really hurting people, and psychopasts don't care about doing that, and psychoasts also don't care what people think of them, so they're all good. If you're not a psychopath, you'll find this really difficult to do.
Speaker 1: Wow, thank goodness for that. Well, mate, I think March of Tea is going to have to wait. We're talking about it next time. You'll have to wait a fortnite TIF to get you into Are you still standing?
Speaker 2: Are you sitting?
Speaker 4: No way that I had to sit down.
Speaker 2: I knew you were sitting. That's a terrible idea. That's so hilarious. That's fucking that lasted about twelve minutes.
Speaker 3: Everyone.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I'm really into standing up. I've got a stand up disk and it's fucking this is the new me. Seven minutes later, sitting on her ass your ideas though, when then you.
Speaker 1: Especially when you're telling the world you know how good you are at it. And then I saw your elbows resting on the desk. I'm like, that motherfucker is sitting down?
Speaker 3: What you.
Speaker 2: Gills boat. We'll say goodbye affair. But yeah, thanks for's name.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah yeah I noticed Tip sit down about halfway through that. Oh dear, she's having asleep.
Speaker 2: Yeah so much for that new activity. Thanks mate,