Speaker 1: Welcome to How Do They Afford That? The podcast that peaks into the financial lives of everyday Australians. I'm Michael Thompson. I'm an author and the co host of the business news podcast Fear and Greed, and as always I'm with Canna Campbell, financial planner and founder of Sugar Mamma TV, the financial literacy platform covering Instagram, books, podcast, YouTube threads, TikTok and more. Hello, Canna, good morning Now today a slightly bigger question. I think this is we're sitting a pretty high bar for us today. We spent a lot of time talking about saving and investing and building wealth, but but it is worth stopping and asking what are we actually working for? Right? Are we doing it for more money? Doing it for more freedom, more security? I don't know something else? Also, your big why behind this exactly? You have worked with a lot of clients over the years. What do people usually say when when you ask them what they're working for financially?
Speaker 2: So normally it starts with this kind of like surface level, why, well, you know, I wouldn't be able to retire, I want to have financial security, I want to pay off the home, and they sort of blanket responses. But when you start to go deeper, there's actually so much more behind it and what that goal actually represents. So it often represents like more time, a slower pace, less stress, having like flexibility and choice. And then we start to explore, we'll hang on what does that then look like like? You know, what does that represent? So? Is it perhaps having the ability to travel, to have more experiences and adventures, to be able to be perhaps maybe more generous with your time or even money with you know, say doing some charity work. Or does it look like having the ability to be able to help children or grandchildren out, or help pay for things like weddings, or be able to take your whole family on a special international holiday, perhaps somewhere where you grew up as a child. You know, you start to go so much deeper and have a much more meaningful conversation. You see things start to light up in people's eyes because you're like, Okay, this is actually I've been told I have to come to this appointment, I've been told I should be doing this, But now I get why I need to be having these conversations. And money is very rarely the end goal. It's actually what the money then allows you to do, but also what the money allows you to be.
Speaker 1: Okay, that is really interesting that you need to dig so far, that you need to ask so many kind of follow up questions. And it makes me wonder then whether if people are kind of giving almost these default answers to these questions, does that then represent probably a bigger problem with the way that they are working as well, that they're almost on autopilot working towards some point in the future, that they think they should be working towards retirement or paying off the mortgage just because everyone else does it, or they think everyone does it.
Speaker 2: So often the goal is fine itself, but it's the lack of connection to that goal and the lack of underdeep understanding as to what that goal represents for them and feels like for them. And I think it's really important to invest time exploring, which is why I often say the importance of you know, loving your goals, investing time exploring your goals and learning how to create them in a powerful, concise way for yourself to follow. And you know, people will initially think you know numbers first, and there is an element there's a disconnect there. It's quite mindless, and I'd even say at times quite soulless. You know, they're going through, you know, going off to work, going doing this to pay the bills, doing this to eventually one day retire. Like where's the passion and excitement in that? And how is that mindset and that attitude showing up? But if I was to show you, well, you're going to work because you're going to be able to retire at age you know, sixty on eighty thousand dollars a year, and you'll be able to take a family on a holiday every year, Like suddenly going to work is not so hard and painful, and you know, and you know people think about numbers initially, but what they really want deep down, when you can safely explore the goals and the why and what it means and the money story often and where it came from, is people want connection and they want freedom, and they want to feel that they can contribute.
Speaker 1: Do you see then, like that kind of impersonation of someone who's just going to work and just going through the motions to pay the bills, to pay the mortgage, all that kind of thing, they are just kind of like the autopilot goals. But have you actually seen people then who are chasing goals that are actually wrong for them entirely. And it's not until you kind of sit down and talk to them that they might actually have a goal to pay off the all by fifty And once you actually get talking to them, it turns out that they don't. It doesn't actually matter to them. They don't mind having a mortgage that lasts a bit longer. They want to be able to live a bit more freely now and travel a bit more and have a bit more money free now. Just as an example of people who are living according to the wrong goals entirely.
Speaker 2: Yes, And this is where the power of financial literacy comes in, because you can actually show people will hang on, Yes, that goal is a great goal to have, but you're also missing, you know, three quarters of the other picture here, and how those other important elements of your financial game plan and your goals actually all sort of kind of interdependent upon each other to help get you to where you want to be to actually achieve all the values behind those goals. So, you know, sitting down with a financial planner, and you know, I always say to people, when you're going to see a financial planner, spend time really thinking about what's important to you and what your goals are, because that financial planner can then tell you whether you've got the wrong goals, you've got unrealistic expectations, or you need to include other things in those goals. And a classic example of this is where people are so focused on paying off the home loan that they can and that they have been told that's what you're supposed to do, and then that sort of genuinely believe in the Yes, that as technically correct, but they're also missing out on the importance of super the importance of diversification outside of the family home, the importance of emergency money. Like so, yes, I definitely would have come across that plenty of times.
Speaker 1: Okay, this idea then that they're just working so hard and working to get to this point somewhere in the future. Do you think we confuse doing well financially with living well that the two are in fact kind of can be slightly different things.
Speaker 2: Yes, so, And I think also social media has a big element here where you know, it's what looks like they're you know, you're living well, you know you're ticking all the boxes you've got, you know, the car, the outfit, the home. But then really what's going on behind the scenes. Are you really doing well? You do you actually, from a financial literacy point of view, actually know that you are making good progress. Not to be the richest person or you know, but to actually know that we are actually making progress, we're actually being intelligent and we have a respectful sense of balance in our lives with the goals that we're working on. Because we come here with nothing and we leave with nothing, we have to have a respectful sense of balance and that we're honoring all the different pillars in our lives. So, yes, there is a big difference between what looks like you're living well and actually genuinely living well, and I think having that progress which is not always linear and perfect, particularly right now. You know, sometimes the progress and process is actually just staying afloat, but then knowing when to change gears and tweak and change the journey in direction as things shift and change.
Speaker 1: And it would certainly change depending on your stage of life as well. Right if you're younger, or if you're a mid career, or if you're approaching retirement, this question of what you're actually working for may evolve entirely absolutely.
Speaker 2: And also things can suddenly change in life. You know, situations change, and you know windfalls and then setbacks and challenges, and I think having that deep connection to your why and the big picture here is going to act as your beacon of light through tough times, through challenging times, because you know it's hard, you acknowledge it, but it is going to be worth it. It will pay off. You will get there eventually, and you will come out a stronger person, a better person, a more educated person when it comes to money, a wiser person.
Speaker 1: Okay, on the other side of the break, I want to ask you how we figure this out because it's a big question, this idea of what you're actually working for, and I want to know how we can all answer that. Because you talked about the various kind of follow up questions that you as a financial plan I had to ask to dig deeper. So I'm curious to see whether we can kind of take a shortcut and just get to the core of it in an instant.
Speaker 2: This is like a very fast initial financial planning perpointment.
Speaker 1: Indeed, it is quick break back in a moment with more cana. Today we are talking about what are you actually working for? Are you working for more freedom? Security, money, options to do more things later in life. It's a big question. How do we answer that question of ourselves? Do we ask it of ourselves? Are you better to ask it of someone else? Do you sit down with your partner or a friend, and can you have a conversation about this with someone who is not necessary? I mean, gold standard would be to go to a go to a financial planner, a trained professional. But if you're just kind of curious to know, can you just sit down and just have a chat about it with a friend or a family member.
Speaker 2: A safe space.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's not an easy question to answer, and it's one that you probably need to be vulnerable. Yeah, you've got to be honest.
Speaker 2: So clarity comes from asking better questions, not chasing bigger numbers. So creating the space to actually go deep with this where you can relax, breathe into it, and just safely dissect and analyze everything that sort of comes to mind. And you know, I also recommend writing things down if there's something really important that sort of hits you aut it that it's quite a surprise. So one of the best questions I like to ask people is like, what does you know your ideal day look like? So, what does your ideal day look like mine?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Oh no, you're going to put me on.
Speaker 2: This, Yeah, Like what's the pace, like, what's the energy? Like, what does it look like? Who you spending time with? How much time are you spending with them? Like, you know, what's the balance like of work and family and you know time on your own.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, it's a good point. And when I've thought about this in the past, it is about having time to still do work, because I still love working, but it's not having to spend twelve hours a day working. It is about being able to do that work and still have a lot of time with my family. That's what That's what I want, And so for me, that is kind of a perfect day, right being able to to for me, take the kids to school and ideally to pick them up again in the afternoon so they don't sleep there overnight, and to be able to do some work that really has meaning to me and to do those things during the day. That's that's a great day for me.
Speaker 2: So hearing that it's connection, it's flexibility, it's purpose. You know, this is what we're talking about here. So yes, they're still great. There are the goals to have, but now you understand what it. Have you ever actually done that had that conversation with yourself as to what your dream ideal day would look like until now? Yes, a fantasy way or in an intentional, like deep understanding.
Speaker 1: Way, probably slightly leaning towards the fantasy involves me stepping onto a boat that's suddenly Fiji.
Speaker 2: Indeed, but that's like, this is where we start to anchor it in our real lives, not in our fantasy lives, and we actually go go, you know what, I'm going to build this for my family. I'm going to do this. And you know, I say, well, okay, give me three areas in your life if I could wave a magical wand today that I would fix, And you might go, well, the mortgage. We have a mortgage.
Speaker 1: I hate it.
Speaker 2: I would love to get rid of it. Okay, Great, we're going to work on paying that off. The fact that I am reliant solely on my income from physical work. Okay, great, let's build you an investment portfolio that pays you a passive income. Okay. The next thing that worries me, well, I worry about retirement, and I want to make sure that you know both myself and my partner can retire together. Well, great, let's get a game plan in place to address both of your superinnovations that you've got similar account balances or the strategy behind it is efficient. So suddenly we're taking a fantasy, turning it into a goal, and now building the strategy in the system to help make the goal happen, which means your dream happens.
Speaker 1: That makes so much sense, and you.
Speaker 2: Now understand the work behind. There are going to be sacrifices, there are going to be setbacks, there are going to be challenges, but there also be will be windfalls, There'll be bonuses, There'll be you know, opportunities that come up that will obviously like amplify and leverage. You know this strategy, but you now know even more as to what you're building. You've got a vision, You've got that light at the end of the tunnel. You can use that to work towards. And you know, it's something that I do on a regular basis. I think about the big picture, particularly you know, when I'm working, like you, long hours, juggling kids, daycare, you daycare expenses, you know fill prices and you think far out, there's just so many setbacks and blocks and challenges coming back to that big picture and what it represents and why.
Speaker 1: Because that so valuable? Yeah, and it flows through everything then, right, because that affects how you save, how you spend, how you invest. It puts purpose behind all of those things.
Speaker 2: And your mindset and your attitude and how you show up as an individual. You're not grumpy that you've had to put money into your super or pay extra morhich. You're proud, You're empowered, you're financially intelligent and whise and it's going to help your family so much so you're going to stick to it and be consistent. As we've spoken about gazillion times, is the consistency rather than the amount, particularly when you factor in time as well, that has does most of the hard work for you in getting ahead.
Speaker 1: What happens though, when say two people in a household have completely different answers to that question of what are you actually working for?
Speaker 2: They get divorced.
Speaker 1: I was going to say it doesn't sound very compatible, right, is how do you work through that? Because you would have seen that right where you sit down with a couple and they've got different.
Speaker 2: It's really hard. And I have experienced this with clients where you know, new clients have come to see me and they've almost come to see me as a marriage counselor because I think that what's you know, they've got financial stress, But really is they're on different pages and you know the relationship has dissolved but not always, and that you know they're there. That's a very small percentage, but I would be lying if I said that doesn't happen. But the other side is also the financial literacy. You know, some people have different values because they don't have the same experience or the same understanding as to how money works and how what's required and what's needed to get ahead and how you know, the sacrifices do quite often pay off. Also, it's you know, people are at different stages in their life, particularly if you have a couple that have did quite a bit of an age gap. They have different mindsets, they have different goals, and there's nothing wrong with that. I think that's also very very healthy as well, and that from a practical point of view and a strategic point of view involves having a joint financial strategy. But also we manage their other separate financial affairs, perhaps each of their individual superannuation accounts differently that reflect their own individual you know whys and goals and dreams and you know aspirations. But I would also point out Tom has a goal and his values is a little bit different to mine, like he wants to retire work a lot earlier than I do, whereas I don't. I don't actually ever see myself retiring. But you know you are still able to, you know, work together as a team and respect each other's wishes and also know that they may change. You know, Tom, Tom's got ants in his fans, Like I think if you took off stop work for a week, he'd be climbing the walls with boredom and would end up doing going back to work. But you know, you you do have to really respect where each other stands, just like you have to do in a relationship regardless of the money. You know what people are important to people and why, and also know that people's whys naturally do change over time. I mean mine has massively, particularly in having children.
Speaker 1: Okay, so say you've now landed on an answer to the question of what are you actually working for and it is these big picture things in the future. It might be retiring at fifty five, It might be retiring so that you can have an overseas trip every year, something big like that. Right, is there a danger though, that you were going to get so focused on the future and where you are going to be in twenty years or thirty years or however long, and that you will not enjoy the present. And we're not guaranteed twenty years. We're not even guaranteed tomorrow. So how do you balance out then the need to actually live well now with having a good future.
Speaker 2: It's such a good question, and I think it's very personal, and it's about I think looking at where your money is and you're not trying to I guess what's that saying be the richest person in the cemetery, you know, making sure that you intentionally allocate money that gives you joy today but also gives you respectful security and stability and comfort further down the track. And it is something that needs to be mindfully balanced with care and obviously adjustments, because you know, we want to make sure that we live our lives responsibly, we don't create unnecessary financial stress for ourselves. But we also need to find that sweet spot, and that is where a financial plan can come in and go great, all right, this is what you're owning. Let's allocate x amount of dolls per year for family holidays. You've got a child that's you know, you want to help them buy a home, and you want to help contribute towards the tools. It great, We're going to put some money aside that and that's where that intentional allocation of what you've got coming in today can still serve your happiness and your needs, you know, and your personal growth and living your best life. But also you are always respectful as to building something up just support you back will and to the future.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, good place to finish. I think that's a big, big topic. We tries to take all that. I feel, Yeah, and it's a good conversation to have. It. It's a great conversation to have with a financial planner, but it's just even a good conversation to have with yourself or with your partner and just start asking that question and then trying to dig a little bit deeper than the surface level answers to it. All right, if somebody wants more information from you, Where do they find you?
Speaker 2: Do you want to dig deep with your financial goals and your wife? Best place to find me is on Instagram at sugar Mama.
Speaker 1: TV, and you can hear me every day with Sean Aylmer on Fear and Greed business news. You can use thank you for listening to how Do They Afford That? Remember to hit follow on the podcast and tell somebody else about the show as well. Send them a link to the episode if you think that they might enjoy it or learn something. Thank you for your company. Join us again next week.