Speaker 1: The public has had a long held fascination with detectives. Detective see a side of life. The average person is never exposed her I spent thirty four years as a cop. For twenty five of those years I was catching killers. That's what I did for a living. I was a homicide detective. I'm no longer just interviewing bad guys. Instead, I'm taking the public into the world in which I operated. The guests I talk to each week have amazing stories from all sides of the law. The interviews are raw and honest, just like the people I talk to. Some of the content and language might be confronting. That's because no one who comes into contact with crime is left unchanged. Join me now as I take you into this world. Welcome back to part two of my conversation with Kathleen Kirby, the mother of murdered nineteen year old Audrey Griffin. I travel up to the central case of New South Wales to meet Kathleen and talk about the murder of her beautiful daughter. I wish I wasn't meeting Kathleen under these circumstances. See seven months ago, her daughter Audrey was murdered by a stranger when she was walking home late one night. That man, Adrian Torrens, was out on bail and had an extensive history of domestic violence. Audrey's death was initially ruled by police as a misadventure, but Kathleen knew that wasn't the case and took matters into her own hands. If she hadn't, Torrens might have gotten away with murder. Here is part two of my chat with Kathleen the CCTV footage which led to the breakthrough. What involvement did you have him pushing for finding out more about the TV footage?
Speaker 2: Well, once again, when I went in to see the footage, which they didn't show me the footage that they released the following day, which I asked, I want to see all the footage everything. I want to see what stay of mind she.
Speaker 1: Is so okay and what we're breaking down here CCTV footage taken from businesses along everything they had people walking. You've gone in the police station and said I want to see it, and they.
Speaker 2: Took them three weeks to get back to me to say okay, come in, and then I'm sitting down and they're showing me bits and pieces and I said, so where's the club. It's upstairs. Didn't I just say I wanted to see all of it. So I see all that, I see parts of it. I walk out of there. I'm like, Okay, she's happy, she's not drunk, she's not dizzy, she's not falling over the place. You know, what I have just thought is that she would have had jet leg. And then when we've seen that video that was taken off her to a friend and she's tired, it's two thirty, she's just done Sydney mum out all night walking home to thirty jet legged. We did things, as I said to you, to have tests done. We had to cremate our daughter in a way that no parent would have to make that choice. And then to find out now they had that footage the day after that, they released three and a half weeks and they hadn't shown me.
Speaker 1: Post more than you're talking about there, And it's invasive when the postmortems have done. If they were treating it as suspicious, I'd have to say just that there would be a post more than conducted that needs to be conducted unless there was some extremely extenuating the extenuating circumstances.
Speaker 2: Do you know they said to me. What I've been informed is that when I came back to them and said, that's when they said, maybe we should start looking at this a bit more. When I went back after seeing Audrey and I said to them, this is not that's when from what I've been told now, is when they said, that's when they started looking into it more.
Speaker 1: That's what you're being told now when you're pushing with the CCTV footage, what happened after you've gone in and causing concerns you want to look at it, and demanding to look at the CCTV footage, What's what's happened?
Speaker 2: The next day they released they released the photo of him walking behind her and two young girls in front. The young girls in front lasted a couple of hours, I think, on social media, and I think that got shut down quite quick and his photo was still there. Now, this is where it comes a bit of a blur. I remember ringing him and saying, why didn't I see that footage? And that's when he was saying to me, we didn't find it irrelevant at.
Speaker 1: The time, didn't find it relevant because he was.
Speaker 2: Twenty meters behind. And when I also said, when I was there, have you got the footage? What about all the footage between here and here? He said, well, we don't need that, we've got that, and I said, well, I've got footage from two shops one of the real estates my girlfriend works in that said to me, Kathleen, we've got footage. You want me to have a look, and it's him walking behind her that they didn't have. And when I said to them, why haven't you got that? And he said, because we've got this and that we've got enough footage. And I said, well, how do you know that something didn't happen in between that time?
Speaker 1: Just help me break that and that for a bit. So they've got footage where he's walking behind orgery. This is coming from the direction of Gossip Hotel. Correct, we know where Audrey's Body's been found, direct aeron the creek. And them telling you that there's no need to look at other footage because we've got footage.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they said they didn't need to look at footage that from when I said, oh, I've got this footage, why haven't you got it? And they said, oh, we've got footage from all the other places we didn't need that one. And to me, it's like any anyone else could have been involved, any like, wouldn't you just get all the footage?
Speaker 1: I would say, yes, yes, you would in.
Speaker 2: That strip because it's not that amount of shops.
Speaker 1: Well we say it's five or six kilometers, and that's just my guestimate on how far it might be a little bit less. There's not that many shops. There's banker shops, and we're talking, you know, two hundred meters work for shops, the hotel and some service stations, those type of things. So it's not like looking the main street of a city going through every business. Okay, so how would you describe your thoughts about the police what they were doing at this point in time.
Speaker 2: I was appalled, absolutely. I was beside myself. I was beside myself constantly. We all were. Everybody was by this stage. Everyone was just you know a lot of people were quite because you know, we didn't know, but everyone in the background was like, no way, no way, you know, and here myself and the girls that we were all in the hotel room were just constantly just at the police station, just you know, and seeing them, seeing me doing the work that I was doing, they would concern for me as well.
Speaker 1: To give a sense, and it might be hard to give exact numbers, But in that three weeks from the time Audrey's Body's been found until the release of the CCTV footage, how many conversations would you say, you and the old girlfriends acting on your every day?
Speaker 2: Every day? Every day, maybe a couple of times a day. So I was constantly on the phone to them, when am I seeing this? When am I picking up this? Where's her phone? Where's her bag? Where's this?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: I was constantly on the phone.
Speaker 1: To them, So twenty you.
Speaker 2: Oh, easy, it'll be Look, we could definitely say once a.
Speaker 1: Day, but even more would have your mind been put at ease if the police had said to you during those frequent contacts, look, we are looking at this is suspiciously Absolutely, was that ever said to you. Never, So, despite all the stuff that you've brought to them and where you've questioned what's been done, there was no point and I'm talking up until when the photo was released, no point where they've said, look, we've decided to look at it in more detail. You have never told me ever at once did you give them the opportunity to tell that, Like I'm thinking, was that you just ringing up and angry at them and hanging up or did you never hung up? I was always okay, so you gave them the opportunity.
Speaker 2: I was always I you know, yes, So maybe it's a few times that i'd raised my voice, but I always treat them with respect in an anger way of a mother grieving. But I was never I. I went in their professional in ways that I needed them behind me. I didn't want to burn bridges in any way. So I had that in my mind at all times, and I had the girls with me, and to the point even with my girlfriend who's a solicitor, walked out and see, Kathleen, you handle that so well? Do you know what I mean? So? No?
Speaker 1: So, And why I pose that question? There was just opportunities if they had changed their mind, where they could have told you, like I'm thinking of them many times they trying to justify my own mind. How why they're approaching it that way? And I think if if you're coming in aggressively, they might have been able to tell you that they've turned it round. But you're saying that there was.
Speaker 2: Even if that was the case, get a counselor in and sit down with me, give me support, but to let me go through everything I did and doing what I had to do to find out if she'd been drugged or pointed or drugged or she was intoxicated before we cremated Audrey. That should never have happened. I should never have had to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I'm not sure if this is helping you however you want to look at it. But if it was treated as suspicious, that would have been those types of tests that would have been done.
Speaker 2: They had the footage of the day after, Yeah.
Speaker 1: But they potentially would need to still gather that evidence. So the foto's gone out. So you've asked for media attention, you've asked for media release early just after Audrey's body was found. You've harassed and chased up your own CCTV footage. You've gone to the police asking what's on it. You've asked to see what's on it, You've seen it, it's been released, and then.
Speaker 2: What so then it's released and we're informed to come into and at this stage, I'm with my father. He's passed pretty much on his last breath, and right at the hospital with my family, and I'm asked to come into the Surrey Hill's police station. So Trevor and I arrived to Surrey Hill's police station later in that afternoon, and a different detective who's now taking over the case said to me, we've arrested don't want to say his name for the murder of Audrey. And I said, has he confessed? And he said he's sleeping at the moment, And then I said and then he said, sorry, he's in custody with the We can't speak to him now because he's in custody with the Aboriginal community. I was then told that they were going to do what they could and that they'd get support team. And I may have had a phone call once or twice from someone in all this going on that maybe once I think she said she reached out. Trevor and I walked out, no support. While he's sitting in there being protected. We get to walk out at Sorry Hill's Police station without daor to be murdered. He's been on the loose for three weeks, he's been seen at the location, which they denied, and we walk out of there and he gets protection. Doesn't matter what color, they said, they said to us as well, sorry that we've arrested him, that she scratched him with her index finger on the face. We've got DNA and we also have seven other people come forward enough to arrest him.
Speaker 1: That potentially the way that handle that. I just clarify, people in custody have rights, and where's my rights? Sitting here hearing your story, I would imagine everyone else would feel the same way and go, well, who cares. That's the reality of the world.
Speaker 2: It's not reality. It's not reality. This is what we need to change. And I get I understand what you're saying, and I know what you're going to say, but it's not reality. This is a man that's murdered my daughter and we're left to walk out of there and he's got a roof over his head and probably even feed and someone protecting him, and where are we? That is just wrong on every level. I'm sorry, I know, I know what you're saying.
Speaker 1: You don't have to be sorry, and I can't argue back on You're entitled to those views and fully understandable. He was charged a couple a couple of things at points I want to make here on the charging that He's DNA were found under a fingernails, whinding it right back to the couple of weeks before when her Audrey's body was found. Checking the fingernails for a potential murder investigation? Is just homicide? One oh one? The fact that he's DNA were found under the fingernails causing me a concern that that wasn't enough to prompt that there's a thorough homicide investigation. He was only in custody for four days, three and a bit before he killed himself in prison.
Speaker 2: How does that happen? How does someone get a razor blade to take their life in prison? How does someone that's been on a five day bender from what I've been informed the week before, on drugs and alcohol and put in jail and they turn and the counselors turn around and say that he's not suicidal and put him in a normal cell where he's handed a raizor blade to take his life. How does that happen with a history that he has.
Speaker 1: I can't answer that. I know practices have put in place to prevent that type of thing, but I'm sure that will be encompassed in a cranial investigation. It would be treated as a death in custody and an investigation will be conducted conducted that way from an emotional point of view, from your point of view and Trevors and friends and family, how did it make you feel to know the person that's been arrested and charged with Audrey's murder has taken that part?
Speaker 2: Helleljah, thank you. At the time, we were having a ritual for Audrey down at the beach where the whole of terrible people for Miles. I don't know if you've seen it.
Speaker 1: I've seen it. I've seen that many people that.
Speaker 2: Are people couldn't even get there. It was like people were coming from Sydney on the train. They just couldn't get there. That was the response that people and we found out. So that day at four point fifty we were told the ceremony started at five. At four point fifty, we got the phone call to say that he'd taken his life. So ten minutes prior, I lose my father that night and then when i'm you know, when they phone me to say how are you feeling? And I said, well, you know what, I'm happy. I'm happy because he's off the street and he's gone. Did I feel that way later. Probably not, But then from what I've been informed, there may be a lot of things he may have said to me if I did see him face to face that I probably never would have come back from. So at the end of the day, yes, yes, he will never be out to hurt another child, or another woman or another man, whoever that'll be.
Speaker 1: I can understand how difficult the whole whole situation, if.
Speaker 2: The whole situation is just appalling, to think that he was out on the street for three weeks and hidden, you know, he was hidden that I while he was missing, he'd been up at casino.
Speaker 1: How are you aware of that?
Speaker 2: I was told by the constable.
Speaker 1: Right, did the police say anything to you about how it's gone from misadventure to murder? Did was there any apologies or any any oh?
Speaker 2: God knows, God knows?
Speaker 1: Was there any discussions? Did you?
Speaker 2: Like I'm the one that's always brought it up. How how do you go from you know, when we went to the coroner's report, which I brought my doctor with me so she could actually explain the information clearly to me so that we could understand. How did it? Ever? From what I see of Audrey, how was that ever tread as an adventure, and then how did you come to the conclusion of this? Yes, they explained all that, but still to me, how did they come to that conclusion misadventure when you you only had to see her?
Speaker 1: Well, I can't comment on that because I didn't see Audrey, but I respect your comments as Audrey's mother, But on the circumstances, I don't see how you could write that off a misadventure. You've got to keep an open mind, to open mind to things. So in light of all that's happened, have you had to sit down with any senior police.
Speaker 2: Yes, we've had many of interviews with Chris Min's yes man.
Speaker 1: So we're talking the premiere of the police minister, so that the high, high level meetings correct.
Speaker 2: And then there was Karen web police commissioner correct which she looked me in the eye, which tears as a woman, as a mother with a broken heart, and said to me, Kathleen, we had him locked up, they just let him out.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, that's that's another part of this whole story that concerns me. And I'm not being critical of Karen Webb here, the former former commissioner, but I'm somewhat confused. You might be able to add some clarity to it. But when he was, and I'll respect the fact you don't want his name mentioned, so he doesn't deserve it, okay. When he was charged with Audrey's murder, he was also charged with eleven other counts of the breaching AVOs and domestic violence related related matters. My understanding, he was put before the courts in October, granted the corrections order and released. It was fairly stringent, and then he was sentenced on the sixteenth of January correctional orders. These breaches of the avas related to his former wife. And I've also picked up on the information that she's saying that she was concerned about the amount of times that she contacted the police asking whether he's been located, and he hadn't been located. My concerns, and this is speculating here that he can't be that difficult to find because he was committing the fences by using his telephone.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 1: Now, if someone's got their telephone, as police officers, we can find them.
Speaker 2: This is what I'm saying about the location. When my girlfriend saw him at the location the week later, I said, when I was driving up for the ritual that day, and I drove past the creek. I was coming from Sydney and I was driving past to come up to Terrgill. And I went past and I saw all the police there, and I pulled in and I said, what's going on. They said, we're doing a reenactment. And I walked up to one of the detectives that was being there from day dot and said to her, I've been informed a girlfriend had phoned in about seeing him the week after, and she came in and did a statement because obviously by this stage she saw the photo and identified the clothing he was wearing. She said to me, yes, his phone diged to the location, right.
Speaker 1: They denied that later when your girlfriend said she saw saw him, he was there, that when they were doing the re enactment. Was that after he'd been arrested. Yes, okay, I understand that.
Speaker 2: This was the day of the ritual.
Speaker 1: Getting back to the offenses that he was wanted for now, I've heard the Commission of Web say that, yeah, we put him before, put him before the courts, and I understand that. I understand the frustration from the police, like we can't control the courts. We've got to accept the court's decisions. I'm just curious how long, with eleven breaches of avas, how long police were looking for him before?
Speaker 2: Correct? That's what I think too.
Speaker 1: Audrey's murder and what efforts were done to find him?
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 1: When were those offenses committed? Because I look at his criminal history. Well, I've seen of his criminal history and the past offenses and the threats that were made to his ex wife. They're concerning in anyone's level. You don't have to be a cop to think this person's potentially dangerous.
Speaker 2: I want to know exactly what happened from day dot. I want to know exactly exactly what was done. Why we were told it was a misadventure, Why it was put down as a misadventure. Why nothing was ever said to me, even if they, like you said, if I was a lunatic or whatever, and they felt they couldn't approach me, Why didn't I get the support so that song. Why did they allow me to come in there knowing I was very stressed and I was looking for answers. At no stage did they ever say to me, Kathleen, we're looking into this, or we're doing this, We're going to look or even we're going to try and do this, or we're going to do this nothing misadventure. Would that make absolutely make a difference, absolutely absolutely if I knew they were looking. If I knew they were looking, and I would still wouldn't stopped myself because obviously if they were looking, why is it that I found we found all this stuff? How do you not find a phone? How do you not go down the lot? That's what I said to him. How did you not go down there in low tide? He said, because we've got the divers. So three people on three different days have gone down there scouting, and yet no one thinks to go and look for low type. But yes, let's pay for the government to go and send some divers down there. Lets them do that when all they had to do is go down low tide and they would have found it. Strange.
Speaker 1: I think they are just in my opinion, I think they want the divers in there as well, even at low tide. These are the type of things. But yeah, as I said, if you can't find the phone of a girl that's found de sea in water, you'd be looking at Okay, Well, there's a potential something suspicious there where is the phone? Because we've we keep our phones in their pockets or keep them close to us. Where is where is the phone? Was it the robbery?
Speaker 2: Can I just say in regards to that, So in this time that I'm stressing about the phone, where's the phone? Where's a phone? This is when I picked the car up and I found the computer. So when you think they'd go through the computer which I found on her.
Speaker 1: iPad linked to the phone.
Speaker 2: No, that she'd phoned a cab, So why didn't they find that? Why didn't they go through her computer and have a lot.
Speaker 1: You're sorry you're found on her computer when you've gone from.
Speaker 2: Her computer, she's got another iPad at home. The iPad, so they're all connected. She made a call to an uber and I don't know if it turned up or what happened, but she'd made that call. And when I said to them, why you know, my consum was, why didn't they go into that computer? Like it's linked to her phone. Anything that was on that phone would have been lenked. She would have known who she was talking to, who she had, you know, all that stuff, and they didn't take the computer.
Speaker 1: Is that? At what point did they take a car straight away? Where was from?
Speaker 2: Terrible?
Speaker 1: It was that terrible? So they sees that that straight away. Do you hope to at some point in time sit down with police that take ownership of what has happened in regards to this investigation or from your perspective and until we hear from the police, we don't know their side of the story from your perspective. Failings in an investigation? Do you have to have a sit down and go through those so this type of thing doesn't happen again?
Speaker 2: No, why they've done it? What's going to be done? Like when I asked if the constable that was there the day that we found Audrey, and he walked up to me and he said, sorry for your condolence, and then he was telling you so when I said to him, I wanted to you know, like I wanted to put it. I was angry. I want to put a complaint in. And they when he is being addressed, is that's been sorted? Do you really need to make it further? And I kind of went, well, Okay, well it's been addressed.
Speaker 1: Maybe not see I see something like that, And I said, I'd be honest with you. I see people in situations like that, young young police. They don't know how.
Speaker 2: He's not young.
Speaker 1: Don't wreck my version of events. Okay, he might be inexperienced, just but inexperience some people don't know how. So if it's a clumsiness in the way to talk to a victim, perhaps.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, Okay, might take that all right, don't be in the industry. He's a police officer, for God's sake.
Speaker 1: I had that view and look where it got me. You well, there's no higher honor as an investigator, as a police officer than too and higher honor and responsibility to investigate someone's death. And you know where people are making comments that you choose the wrong word, and that can be like a triggering effect for someone that's been through what you've gone through. I see how mistakes can be made, and genuine mistakes like that what I'm looking at from what you've told me, And I think with this, and we don't normally go this far, but I think we'll reach out to the police and see if if they can give their perspective on a couple of things, because some of the things that you've told me are quite quite shocking, and I think it is a failing in regards to the way matters should be investigated. And see what they say. You have said you don't want or it doesn't matter because it's happened.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I'm sorry. I'll probably rephrase it. It's not that I don't want to because at the coroner's report, that's when I want it to come out. That's when I want to hear it. I want to hear it all the excuses. I mean, I suppose it's probably good to hear what their excuses are.
Speaker 1: Well, a speculation here. I don't know what was acting on their mind, but I know when I was involved in it, I would say to junior police and bosses that I respect people that have seeing you to me, you make a mistake, a genuine mistake, and will support you like a genuine mistake, so a wrong assumption or different things, genuine mistake. I've seen the power of them, and in matters that I've been involved in where the commissioner has come up and apologized to some families and it meant a lot to them, and it was as simple as we're sorry, we could have done better, correct and that meant it didn't fix what was being done, but he did also say and will learn from these mistakes, So that I thought was very powerful, and that took about ten years to get the commissioner to come to this community and talk like that. But I know from their point of view, and I think they're comfortable with me speaking on their behalf. It did help them at least there was some acknowledgment that the mistakes were being made. Anyone that's listening to the podcasts to our chat here can hear the pain that you're going through and what you've been through, and the circumstances added to that pain is when police haven't done their job or you don't believe they've done their job, and that just adds adds to the trauma.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, like I don't know who I am anymore. I don't need you know. People say how are you? How do I answer that. I get up every day, I get dressed, I move on. I do what I have to do. I went to my doctor last night and she's like, are you using anything? Are you drinking? And I'm like, no, I'm not drinking, I'm not taking drugs. I'm not using any medication. I would swim to clear my head. I can't do that. Now I haven't been able to get back into the ocean and swim with my friends. She has recommended that she's amazing and once again she's behind us as well, and it is going to be following this journey with me, and she has come, she will be coming to the coroner's report. Well, what's happening now is up every day. And she said to me, you know at early stage when she said to me, look, Kathleen, you need to own, you need to accept for you to start moving forward. I haven't even started to grieve. I can't talk to my How many people say, do you talk to her? Do you do this?
Speaker 1: Do that?
Speaker 2: I have got a war so high. I know she's with me. I love her every day, but I have got a war that is just protecting me so high because I need. I need some justice for my daughter. And if I crumble, I will crumble. And when I crumble, I know I am so scared to stop. I am so scared to stop motivating or I can't be alone. You know I can't. I'm not. I don't know who I am and I don't know who I'm ever going to be again. And I know people say time heills, but I'm sorry. I don't see that. I don't see how my life has any purpose. And don't get me wrong, I'm not you know, as I said, I'm not doing drugs, I'm not doing alcohol, I'm not suicidal, I'm not anything. But my life is not looking pretty. And for me, every day I get up is just purely for my daughter to get justice, because she is not a number. She is an amazing young woman that I will fight for until we get justice. I'm not even sure what that looks like yet.
Speaker 1: I was going to ask you what in your mind? What is justice?
Speaker 2: Justice is? Once again, those little steps of people like him apologizing. What are the government? They all get to sit there and just tick their little boxes and just move on. Where's the heart? Where is the heart? There's no heart, there's no And for me and Trevor, where the case is finished as far as they're concerned, because he murdered himself and now it's just put in a filing cabinet and put away and we're just there to just And how does that happen? How does someone let someone out that has a record and a history to do that to it? Not a girl that's been in any kind of trouble with domestic violence. Didn't know. The man takes a woman who was going to serve for our country and a beautiful soul. He murders her. He takes her life away from her. He takes his life and it gets put in a filing cabinet and off we go. Where is where is the justice for her? Where is the justice for her friends who found her? That the support? There's been no support whatsoever for them. Children. They're all struggling. They're nineteen, the kids, they're nineteen years of age. Where's the support? The government have done this, they allowed him out. They need to take some responsibility and instead of keep fixing the people that are damaged in regards to drugs and alcohol and all that stuff, how about helping the people that are good people that have been out there. They're doing well, they're going to university, they're trying to make something their life, and they've been put in a situation that the government's put them in and there's not one bit of support, no counseling, no nothing, not even for me, but for them. It breaks my heart to think at nineteen, these young girls have to go through this. That's what the Where's the platform and where's the heart?
Speaker 1: Well, look in the answer to the questions, what is justice wears the heart? All these failings of the system. I look at it, breaking it down in parts. How was it investigated? Now, if mistakes were made, we've got to learn from those mistakes because someone else is going to be sitting in And I know this from my time in homicide. If we don't learn, someone else will be sitting in your position because more mistakes will be made. I have had so many families reach out to me when I was in the cops and when I'm out of the cops, saying, we're not sure if this has been done properly. Did the police check this. I've been involved in investigations that were written off as misadventure and turned out to be something something more more sinister. I've been involved in it. So I think that's an important platform that's about justice making sure that these type of things are handled properly. Everyone makes mistakes, and I don't get the sense and in all my conversations with you haven't been beating up on them. Want this person that person, You're just going this is what's happened. It shouldn't happen and by talking about it, hopefully it won't happen and people understand there is a responsibility that comes with investigating someone's death.
Speaker 2: But what about also to the support And that's the part too, Like, yes, the police, they've done it, they'll get a slap on the wrist, off they go, and you know, obviously these people have been involved, they're going to be more alert of course after this, especially having someone like me that's just not backing down. What about support? Where's that?
Speaker 1: Where's the support were you put in contact when it was confirmed that Audrey had been murdered? The victims of homicide?
Speaker 2: Did they a gracehouse? Amazing? Look, look they're great, they're great, they're beautiful, they're great.
Speaker 1: But the other people will be okay, But.
Speaker 2: Without being disrespectful, I'm talking to somebody that hasn't And look, and as I said, I'm not here to rubbish or do anyone, but I'm not talking to people that are in a situation who have Oh I don't know how to put this across. They're great and you know, the support in many ways they've been great. Anything to do with that situation For me, I'm like, oh my god, do you actually have children. How can you sit here and say to me, we've granted you twenty hours of counseling, we can only one I'm unlyavailable between nine and five. Sorry, I can only have a breakdown between nine and five. I should be twenty four hours a day. I should be for the rest of my life if I need it. I'm not out there doing drugs and taking our cal I'm trying my best.
Speaker 1: I hear what you're saying, and you're a supports wrong. You're a victim of crime and the support is not adequate in regards to it. So that's something again, it's worthwhile worthwhile raising whether I don't know whether it can be improved or how it could be improved, but I do take on board what you're saying there, and the type of help you need might vary from what it might not be what other people need. Each trauma is handled differently by each each person. With the other people affected by crime, we need to have someone that they can go to to see are they entitled to? And I can only imagine Audrey's friends that what they've been through, and especially the ones that were at the scene, and how they're coping with it. In regards to we've talked about the investigation. I think something that's really worthwhile finding out is hold it. Because we talk tough, we're very good at talking tough about we're cracking down on domestic violence, and all these women have been killed by their ex partners and different things like that. I want to know and I hopefully, hopefully it will come out in the inquest about the person that killed Audrey? When did he commit the offenses he was charged with, and how long he was on the run for and what efforts were made to locate him? Because to me, they looked like that person was a serious risk of committing a violent or significant offense. What efforts were made after he's been granted bail from court, if he's committing other offenses, what efforts were made to locate him? And it's not that easy for people to hide these days.
Speaker 2: They retrieved that conversation from his phone what he did to my daughter, confessed to what he did. How are these people not accountable? How do these people hide him for three weeks, get a phone call and nothing can be done? How is that? How is that?
Speaker 1: Right now? Is this a hearing for the cornial inquest on the twenty third of October, or is it the mention?
Speaker 2: I guess again once again, I think I think it's just a meeting where we catch up. It's not a hearing. It's definitely not a hearing.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's just a meeting. I think that before the meeting you gave their well planned with These are the questions I want asks and have those document them. Have them. These are the questions I hope you can't demand, but you can hope there are from an inquest and put them on notice there for this podcast, and I'll look at my producer to hear that we might revisit this one, will put it out, but we also might revisit it after the inquest and just see see if anything has been achieved. And people listening to listening to the podcast before the inquest will know that we'll be watching closely about what potential lessons.
Speaker 2: I mean, the whole idea of light up, the whole, the ritual, the whole everything is to get the support and the backing. We need as much people behind us to help me. I need help, and I'm not saying I'm going to change the world. I want justice for my daughter, and that's where it's got to start. First. I can't move forward for any I've had a lot of people try and reach out to me. I'm sorry, I can't. I don't have that energy for anyone else. This is purely for me right now, about Audrey and getting her story of who she is, that she was not in a domestic violence relationship. She didn't. I did not know this gentleman, who Audrey is, this amazing young woman, and that we get answers and there's change and there's justice, and there's some kind of I don't know, Like as I said, I really still don't exactly know, but it will come. It'll come what you're looking for, it'll come because I'm not I'm not settling for I will not. I will not.
Speaker 1: I Look, I'm not an expert on dealing with the emotional trauma, but I've seen enough of it in my time in homicide, and I think what people. You can't even articulate what you want?
Speaker 2: You know where I want to live?
Speaker 1: You want to grab it, you want to you want this. You want to find out what's happened. You want to be know exactly what's happened, understand why it happened, how it happened, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want accountability to accountability from the all the accountability from what they have done, what they have done, they have done. He murdered my daughter, but he would never have done that if they actually locked him up. That's where it starts. It's a rippling effect that people just can't This is where the heart goes. This is what I'm saying. If someone's in a job constantly where it just becomes replacing and they just they become hard, and they make mistakes and they pulled back for a little while, have a holiday, go and do what you have to do, and learn to have a heart again, because when you start getting into that place where you don't have a heart, you're not helping anyone. And for me having a heart and how I feel about my daughter, I'm going to rock this world and I'm telling you I'm going to get justice because I won't stop. I will not stop.
Speaker 1: To me, it looks like Audrey has been caught up in this domestic violence discussions that we've had in the and she wasn't even in the relationship. She was just an innocent person that was caught up in the wrong place at the wrong time by this creep that's looking at the inflicting violence on someone and she she's been one of the innocent people caught up in this. So all the discussion about domestic violence, this is a potential flow on effect from it. And if we're going to get touch and in that.
Speaker 2: We've we've got a nonprofit charity set up, and as I said, when I get justice, I will be putting myself hopefully be able to do that move forward into Audrey's nonprofit charity court stand with Audrey, and that is a rippling effect for all my friends and all the people around me that need to do what they need to do here. But for me, I need to just focus one hundred and ten percent on Audrey and then later we'll see what happens. But I'm there anyway, all the time, for all of them, all her friends, everyone, I'm the one that's picking up the phone and talking to them.
Speaker 1: Well, I can see the emotion, I can see the passion, and I can feel the anger, and I can feel the energy, and I can feel the sadness all that's coming across. And you said that you're not a helicopter parent, You're a lioness.
Speaker 2: What do I do when it's all finished? Like what do I do when I have to stop?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: How how do I live?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: How how do I breathe?
Speaker 3: How do I get up? How do I when I start feeling this, when those roles come in and I can't stop them.
Speaker 2: I know how painful it is. And I put that wall up, and I've taken up cigarettes and I have a cigarette and I have a cigarette because I need to block this to be fine. The I need to find the strength. And I'm looking after myself. I'm eating, not sweat, but I'm eating, and I'm sleeping as much as I can. And I've got so much support around me. I'm going about it in all the right ways.
Speaker 1: I learned something about the grief on the podcast a couple of episodes ago. And it's funny you think you've seen all sides of it and understand it. And someone who had been through horrific circumstances said. The kind of thing that was said to the person was how are you feeling today? Because when people come up, and I thought, it's not a bad way because you are going to go on that emotional rollcase and it's just a check in how you're feeling. Today Today might be a little bit better than yesterday, it might be worse than tomorrow, who knows. But yeah, how you're feeling today? And the lesson I took away from that is that you've just got to take each day as it comes.
Speaker 2: Well, I can't answer that. That's a hard one for me. For me would be more, tell me about Audrey. Tell me about Audrey, Give me something about Audrey. Let's not focus on me on how I feel because I don't know how to answer that, and I can't go I'm great or I'm shit. So excuse me, but do you know what I mean? Like I can't. I'm not a liar. I say it how it is. So I don't want to sit there and go, oh I'm fine or oh no I'm not. I don't want to be heavy. I don't want to be this. I just want to go tell someone, walk up and just go tell me about Audry, or tell me this about Audery, or talk about Audrey.
Speaker 1: You told a lot of people about Audrey the day. Yeah, plays rugby league, swims after sharks rides, made the bikes, travels overseas, going skiing.
Speaker 2: No, she did everything, playing the violin, playing the piano, playing guitar, you know, traveling. She just rock climbing, you know, like she worked two jobs, going to university doing a nine man. This girl just.
Speaker 1: These are the people of the worlds.
Speaker 2: That's what she got into the navy. And how good would she have done? And she wanted you know, her goals three five novels but a year which were all inspiration, you know, how to change the thinking of brain, and how to motivate and all this to do I man, which she succeeded to buy a house at the end of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't doubt it.
Speaker 2: Oh, she already had thirty grand in the bank. Like, and she worked two jobs, could you RSL and Kunolla RSL? You know, like she was doing uni goal from one to another, training for the affluon up at five o'clock every morning, doing spin classes and then running. Getting up in the morning doing a spin class, going running, doing in a sunrise swim, coming home doing of that, then going for another run, jumping in the ocean for sunset. She was a wise soul, certainly amazing beautiful. That was just she was always a blossom. She's a natural beauty. But she found herself and she was on that way. She was happy, she was bribing and he took that from her and us And how I cannot find someone like her? A kid?
Speaker 1: That's how they found finances? Is it?
Speaker 2: As I said, I'll be told, this is probably my purpose. I didn't come into this world to fight, but I will be.
Speaker 1: Well the person that you bought into the world short short time. But gee, she burnt bright.
Speaker 2: She sure did.
Speaker 1: She's left an indelible mark. Or the concert that Gosford Stadium, I call it Gosford Stadium, poly Tech outdoor head up, both birds of take. Oh my god, she'd be smiling looking looking at that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it should be at the front. And that was the thing. She loved a music. It was so funny like she you know, she was so romantic and loved and had such high standards of you know, love and you know what she wanted in so many ways. But you know, then there was the music, like she just loved that, you know. And that's why everyone used to think she drank because you just like, but she didn't, you know, like she just lived high correct.
Speaker 1: Well, she she had a concert there and other things that they've they've done for it. She's not going to be forgotten, and that's certainly why you're you're you're here. She's not.
Speaker 2: Definitely not, definitely not, and you know, and I want her to her be the girl she is, not the girl that was taken at the Creek by domestic violence. I want her to be Audrey. And I want everyone to learn who she is and what she is and take a book, take a page out of her book, because honestly, she was one of her kind. And if you was to say that things happen in a reason and this was her time, I would take that and say yep. But the fact that is the way she was taken. I have reached out to so many religions and just try to get there, get a feel on how this is. And nothing makes sense. No one can tell me so, And I'm the one that has to live every day of that last vision and how she passed, and how it's just been put in a filing cabinet and put to bed.
Speaker 1: It won't be put to bed, no, it's more. I look, I've got to thank you for coming on the podcast. I know Undernard and how hard it is for you to talk about the answers that you want will try and get bad chances.
Speaker 2: So I need to get there, and you need to be honest a little enough. I know that the whole team behind is there.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't like to be taking you guys on. We might we might wrap it up here, So thanks for your time.
Speaker 2: Thanksgiving