Speaker 1: Thank you to all of all listeners who continue to listen to us. Look, if you're enjoying the podcast, just do us a favor. Hit that follow button on your podcast app right now. It helps us bring you great new episodes and make sure that you won't miss anything. Whether you're on Spotify, Apple Podcast or anywhere else. Just tap follow or subscribe and stay in the loop. Anyway, guys, cheers.
Speaker 2: State of origin just around the corner. Yes, New so Well's Blues versus Queensland Marines. But you guys know that we're going to pick our sides today previewing into the Sunday selection. Lots of speculation, lots of people out of form, lots of people in form. Who will they pick? Will they pick and stick? We don't know that. But lots going on in the game. We want to quickly touch on. Matthew twenty twenty seven. The Perth Bears are coming in, the North City Bears taking a return. A lot of speculation this week around the coaches. Malma Ninger's being tossed up or he has thrown his hat into the ring?
Speaker 1: Which fantastic?
Speaker 2: Do you like it?
Speaker 1: I like it? I like it a lot? Is if you have a look at when sporting teams will move to cities sometimes markets where they're the second team. As such, they'll put an iconic guy in to coach. So the two examples I'll use here the Sydney Swes. When they wanted to make an impact in Sydney, they had Ron Barrassi, who was one of the most biggest characters in the history of the AFL he came here. Then of course GWS when they come into the competition, they Kevin Sheedy, a guy who, just like Ron Barrassi, is just larger than live character and he was just incredible with the media. And so Meningo in my opinion, Malmonninger is perfect for that. He's such an iconic figure. I think he will draw being the Australian coach and having relationships with players, he'll get players over there, be able to recruit and I think of Mao similar to what did you with the State of Origin side with Queensland, you know that same model. If he had a couple of really strong younger assistants, I think that's a really good good mix. And they're talking a little bit of talk about Sammy Burgers too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he'd be good I mean Sammy, he'd be good too, right, he'd be the kind of Sammy Samy's a big personality, he's very well known. I imagine he'd be able to attract something. And Brad Arthur was the other one. I believe they were tossing up who's probably got more head coaching experience than the other two at an NRL club day in, day out, But you know, the other two were probably more big game profiles.
Speaker 1: You've got to sell You've got to sell it over there, and you've got to be really media savvy over there because you're going to have You're in an AFL state, and in an AFL state, Channel seven have the rights to the AFL, so they're going to make it hard for the NRL. The new club is going in there. Kerry Stokes is an AFL man, he's Channel seven. The West Australian newspaper have already started with some negative stuff. This is going to be the normal to get. It's going to be a lot from you the NRL getting over there. There's going to be they're going to have to deal with. But I just think of Black like Malmoninger being over there. They would make a big, huge news over there. And my understanding is what I think I think the NRL would love. I think I think the NAREL will go with now, but I think the NRL would love for Sam to coome over Males assistant for a couple of years. I mean, that would be a great team.
Speaker 2: They'd be an excellent team. But you see West Coast and Freemantle over there right now. They've got a big following. Perth such a big market, but they don't have a lot of sport. They don't have a lot of sport outside of probably their AFL following.
Speaker 1: Perth Worldcats are huge, really, Perth Wildcats are a massive that. They are a really big club over there. They've got a huge following. I dare say that have the biggest following in the NBL, even more the Sydney Kings. They're fanatical over there.
Speaker 2: Yeah okay, and I know that they've got their Netbule sides good over there as well. They don't know their their exact name, but I know they're a big following and I know they love their horse racing over there.
Speaker 1: And the Perth Scorches too. They've been the most successful team in BBL history.
Speaker 2: Yeah okay, but there's room for rugby league side of course. Serious, I'm trying to say, why can't we all work together?
Speaker 1: That's all worked, can I mean when the when the Western Reds come in coops, they were getting great crowds, that had a great following over there. They were they were a tough team. They were a very good side. And evidence of that was when you know the a lot of clubs collapsed plast super League. When when the reunification is that the Hunter Mariners and the Western Reds both died, but in essence they almost merged to form the Melbourne Storm. Now the Melbourne Storm o't club, But what I mean is they almost merged. The playing groups. If look at look at those initial Melbourne Storm teams, most of them moved from the Reds on the Mariners.
Speaker 2: That's right. Bret Comley, Robbie Ross.
Speaker 1: Richie, Richie Swain, you had Robbie Kern's, you had Rodney Howe. There was mile of players, good mans, always doing great things, always doing good things.
Speaker 2: Another big news as well, friend of the podcast, Brandon Smith test officially when they're recording this officially released from the Roosters going to the South Sydney Rabbit Oz. Can we see that Rabbit O's utilizing him this year?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I can. I think definitely. I think that I think a great year for Wayne would be South Sydney making the finals. They've had a lot to do with mile of injuries first up, but had the important win the other night. And I think Brandon coming in at the back end of that year, you know, with them being in finals contention, he would come in and give an enormous boost. Yeah, and Wayne, you just know Wayne's going to get the best out in Yeah. I think Wayne and Bellamy, you know what I mean, there.
Speaker 2: Was two coaches that are probably going to get would get the best out of Cheezel and I think, you know though, he's gone to one of them, Wayne Bennett. So I think, I mean it's going to be it's going to be deadly if if he can get him, you know, back from his acl fit firing, come that finals time and they can sneak into the eight. It'll be a scary sort of So they could win it from eighth with the talent they've got, if they're all peaking going in there in the finals. Latrell, Cody Walker, Jack whiteon Brandon Smith, it's pretty deadly.
Speaker 1: I was sitting there last night thinking about that. I was actually having he under Maddy Rose, the manager, and we're talking about the Bunnies, and of course he's a Bunnies man. He's got Cody, he's got Latreil and Jack. And he said, what do you see Brandon fitting in? What would you do? And I said, look on the surface of things, how it sits right now? You put me on spot, I said, Maddie, I would start him in the first twenty five minutes at nine, start him in there. But I said, then I'd give him about I'd give him a nice big break, about a twenty minute break, and he got the halftime as well, and I would move him into into thirteen, having him as a runner, using very similar to the same way Billy accused him. And what I would do there is I would actually I really juice up that middle. So what I'd do, I'd start the game with Jack White and at thirteen, possibly Jack whiteon playing there. I just said they're not getting enough out of him in the centers, so Jack White, and then the moments that Brandon moves into the thirteen, Jack might move in. He might move to center. There he might have somewhere else in the side that it just gives flexibility for Wayne to play around with the team.
Speaker 2: Yep, I don't mind it. I don't want I'd like I think if if they get him in this year and he comes back from his rehab and everything, I'd like to see him at fourteen. Start with fourteen. Oh yeah, take the punch out of it, and then twenty minutes in let him off his leash.
Speaker 1: Definitely, you know, just because when.
Speaker 2: The impact he can have with his leg speed, Holy Hecker, that's a scary man. State of origin. All Right, we're we're a couple of weeks away now, but the side's getting picked this at the end of this weekend. We're going to run through. First of all, we're gonna run through the new Souwale side.
Speaker 1: He's got some depth's got lots of.
Speaker 2: It's actually a very hard team to pick. You know why it's very hard team to pick because there's a lot of people in form knocking the house down. But there's a lot of people who you know will show up and play good on the big stage, but they're not playing their best footy. You know, there's a lot of there's actually a lot of players. There's not a heap of players who are who have been there and done that and are in the form of their life right now. Yeah, it's a very hard team to pa.
Speaker 1: It's an interesting one for Lourrie because you got I'm a I'm not a huge fan of incumbency. There's a caveat here, particularly when it's a losing series. I used to frustrate the shit out of me coup All through those losing series we had when Queensland's on that amazing run with those amazing teams each single year, they go who are going to pick? And they go, oh, yeah, but this guy's the incumbent. But hang on a second. Incumbency should not count for anything if you lose the series. Can I can. I'll give an allowance there to say that if you've proved yourself over a long period of time and you know, and you own that jersey and you've proved to be a great player, like then okay counts for a little bit. But for me, incumbency only counts coming off of, you know, coming off a victorious series, and we have that at the moment. Now, this is interesting for Laurie because, as you just said, some of the players aren't in great form. There's some players playing better. However, these blokes did it the year before and they got the experience. They know what it takes.
Speaker 2: So pick and Nathan Cleary. Oh shit, Okay, well.
Speaker 1: Let's just see do you want to go?
Speaker 2: Are we going to go? We'll go position for positions.
Speaker 1: Position.
Speaker 2: You start a fullback.
Speaker 1: I've gone, Dylan Edwards. I've gone, I've gone Dylan. He did. He did it last year. I mean, it took a lot for him to earn, you know, to get that jersey, to earn that spot. Last year he took it and he was fantastic. And the bottom line is with state of origin, ninety percent of the game is yardage and that's where he could That's where he is so good. He just works his ass off.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look, I've gone a bit different. Okay, bear with me. I've got a bit different. I think Ryan Papenhausen, Wow, I think Perhaps deserves his chance. I think a couple of years ago he was really close to getting a fourteen spot, got hurt right in before it.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: But I think what Perhaps has been doing the last few weeks, well, I think all year when when Melbourne's I on. His paps is on and he's Yeah, like you said, the yardage. The yardage thing is one of those things where you know, perhaps isn't the biggest bloke, so they might target him, be able to get under him. But he handled He's really strong and he handles himself. And I think the players you put around him can give him a bit of expectedly bloke like Brian toe and stuff. They give him. They take a lot of the work off him in that yardage.
Speaker 1: Well, if if you're not big, which he isn't, perhaps, but you have to be, you've got to be quicksilver. Yeah, which is I mean Billy? That was Billy. You know he gets through those half gaps and yeah, this is I reckon, Laurie. Coops will be sitting there now going how the hell do I get Peraps into my squad?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think. I don't think you can put him at fourteen just because I will come to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you get to that, but that's what that's. That's yeah, Coop, and a lot of people with you. My god, we have so many good fullbacks. Perhaps we got Teddy, we got Dillan there, We've got Ton Travoi Latreil. Yeah, probably's probably another one or too we've left out there, but anyway, it's just dream is dream Buller I'm not eligible for I'm not sure. I think he might be Fiji now that their two nations. Yeah, I'm not would be a plant, but I see what Jesus, it's a long line full weeks as well. Ko playing good playing, really play. It's the age of the fullback.
Speaker 2: Who are you wingers?
Speaker 1: Okay, A bit to talk about here. I'm desperate to pick Tom Tom Travoyvitch and once I named this back line, I'll go back and I'll read it out and you tell me if I just can't see if you pick the right side. I can't see how they give beats some of these iconic players. I'm desperate to pick Tom, but he's got to be for me. I want him to be at least ninety five percent fit. Yeah, just worry me a little bit in the weekend without knee seems to be carrying that knee problem a little bit. So okay, without naming, without just on the surface of things, without considering injury, I go Tom Travovich one wing and on the other wing. This is hard. It was done over a long period of time. But lo Max was so good last year. I almost this week Lomax and having like a shootout for that spot. But if Tom is ruled out one wing, Lomax the other wing. Again, state of origin is ninety percent yardage.
Speaker 2: Okay, so just just for your side, who are we Okay, okay, okay, you're sitting on a fan, Okay, Tom, Travoivich Brian to Okay, good, that's right. Like I had the exact same I had Turbo, and I think they've got They're both excellent yardage. Turbo's got a big you can kick for in big aerial threat and he floats. He's a little bit like that Jordan Rappner when when you put him on the wing, he can sort of show up anywhere, which is dangerous.
Speaker 1: Remember the year that they really wound the clock back New South Wales and Latrell and Turbo would swing together.
Speaker 2: Yeah swingers, yeah.
Speaker 1: So to speak. But I mean you think about this, right, with Tom having the ability to float, with Stephen Crichton and Latrell having the ability to float, I mean just just imagine for us second you've worked alongside and swinging around the other side. You've got let's say, for instance, Latrell and Tommy swinging around together to link up with Stephen Crichton.
Speaker 2: And even crit is a swinger too. Imagine it. Imagine closure eized thinking about this for a second. We had Latrelle, Critter and Turbo all swinging at like over one edge at one time.
Speaker 1: That's what I just said.
Speaker 2: It'd be like it'd be like rugby union. It actually be like a union's bloody back line.
Speaker 1: Like to think about that. Look, it's it's very very straightforward. Latrell left center, Stephen Crichton right center. It reminds like I grew up in the you know, origin through the eighties where Queensland had a great dominance through the eighties with iconic players, well Wally Lewis, but Latrell, Mitchell, Stephen Crichton. For me, that's like malmon Inger and June Miles, those two blokes. I look at those two blokes. When I've got Latroll, Mitchell and Stephen Crichton the side, I just go, how can they beat us?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I win the two sheet. You're in the opposition dressing you know, you're in the Queensland dressing room. All of a sudden, the team sheet comes through New South Wales and he's got the sounds like Troll Mitchell, Stephen Crichton, you got Tom Trevoy vision, You'll be going, okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's pretty it's a it's a scary back line. I had the exact same center, Combo saying, so we've basically got our centers and wingers are the exact same Latrelle Critter Turbo. We just I had, perhaps you had Dylan Edwards, but yeah, I think those centers and wingers are they nearly picked himself.
Speaker 1: A lot to talk about here as far as the halves concerned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who have.
Speaker 1: You got Nathan locked in? I've got Nathan locked in at seven.
Speaker 2: I've got Nathan as my seven. I think. Look, and this was one of the ones where Penrith haven't been playing outstanding. Nathan's still been doing a good job, not not to the standard that he always has been playing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think in the last two weeks he's been very, very good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know, as a season as a whole, he'd be he'd be, you know, disappointed with how the team's been going. But I think Nathan's just one of those blokes where you put him on a big stage and he just delivers every time.
Speaker 1: He's the best player, in my opinion, is the best player in the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. At the end end of the day, he had he made some adjustments to his football. I've said this before. You know that the little drop off shapes, the X shapes they were playing where he was drifting dropping guys underneath him. That led to too much east west movement from he lost somebody his upfield thrust. But the last two weeks he has been playing game barrel straight and you can see the difference. It's not just made to the football side, but the difference has made to Blaze, to Laney. He's coming to his own and that is because of the adjustment Nathan's football.
Speaker 2: You seen that Cowboys game, Blaze had four triasis and a try, and I think three of those triaces come off off the back of something Nathan did. Nathan got a quick play the ball, Blaze got it, or Nathan just gave him a half opportunity to run and set someone else up.
Speaker 1: So you can sue the benefit Nathan being like his experience and how good he be as a coach given the fact that on the weekend, if you look at a couple of that tries the Blaze set up, it's Nathan going wosh dead straight, him feeding Blaze, coming around on the sweep, and then Blaze straightening exactly the same as Nathan. And I'm looking going mate, Nathan, showing you that Nathan's gone. Mate. When I do this, you compliment my play by doing exactly the same to go first, Yeah, yeah, gone.
Speaker 2: I picked Jerome Leui. I think my judgment come off the back of I've put Peraps at fullback, somebody who Nathan hasn't played with a lot, so somebody who Nathan knows game inside and out, Jerome Lewi. And I think I think perhaps would complement these players because obviously Nathan plays very straight and they both love coming back against the grain and sort of beaten tackles. Particularly Jerome, a bloke like Paps, who's always sitting on the inside, always looking for a gap in the defense. I think really compliment each other.
Speaker 1: Well, a lot of energy there and there a lot of energy, a lot of.
Speaker 2: Horrible to be a middle in coinslane when you've got those folks jumping around making your miss tackles.
Speaker 1: This is this could be. This is probably Laurie's biggest decision to make because Cooper Mitchell, like Mitchell, Moses and and Nathan. I look at that on paper and both with a caple, I go wow. Okay, however can be problematic. You know, Chemistry is just is so videly important. Chemistry in the halves is more important than your plays and your structures, having chemistry, that combination that forms, and you've got to look at those two. Okay, is Mitchell onely Mitchell can answer this. Are you happy, Mitchell too for you to take two steps backwards for Nathan or is it the other way? Now? I think it'd be Nathan being the primary playmaker. Mitche take a couple of stairs. But are you capable of doing that? Or are you to Blake's gonna play together like seven's and just step on each other's toes. And you don't really know that, Coop, until the pressure starts, you know, and there's fatigue, and sometimes unfatigued, you just fall back into what you normally do. And so yeah, I know what you mean. You know, with Jerome, you've got someone who plays alongside Nathan, has played alongside him since junior football he's you know, in essence, he is a six. He's a deputy, although he's doing a lot different now at the Tigers, and you know the combination works.
Speaker 2: Who have you gone?
Speaker 1: Which then why the fuck do I then go Nathan Cleary and Mitchell Moses. I've I've gone Mitchell Moses. I've gone Mitchell given what he did last year in the State of Origin. I don't think it, I know, but I'm just getting I'm getting a real sense of now what Laurie be going through. Laury be thinking. Laurie was on the ninety to niney Kangaroo Tour and in Game one the best two players in the world at that point were Alan Langer and Ricky Stewart. They were the two guys who were firing. So game one at Wembley. They played a few games against the against the English sides, Super League sides, both Alfin and Ricky. It was almost like squeal legend. Both of them were dominating whatever games they were in. So Bob Fulton just said, rode our Game one on Wembley, I'm going to play Alp seven Ricky six. And when you're reading in the paper, game mate, that's fantasy football, Yes, Okay, let's see how this goes. Just didn't work. It was oil on water. It just didn't fit right. And then they had to drop Alf in the second game and they brought in a pure six in Cliff Liones. That just shows you how big a decision this is going to be for Lourie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think Mitch could do it.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: I think Mitch has got a strong enough ability to play six with how quick years and everything that he could do it. It's just whether it would work in a short amount of time.
Speaker 1: Well. I asked Cooper Kronk about this, because when Cooper was the primary playmaker at Melbourne, of course he played alongside Jonathan Thurston, it stayed versus level who's primary playmaker? And I said, right, Coops, how did that work? And he said, we just made it? He said what we we spoke about this. We said, well, when we went into the side, we said, right, what's the most important thing here? He said, the Queensland Jersey. Queensland Jersey's number one, our self interests and number two the other thing that helped that combination. I remember watching it one night Coops at some Corps stadium from an elevated position, and I was seeing to himself Kronk and Thurston, you know, like, okay, how is this going to work? When they work the ball to the middle field and they're both dominant playmakers, and as you know, when you move the ball in the middle of the field, you generally end up with a five to five splits. So new the players got really a numerical advantage. And I was watching that game and in the first half of particularly they're both called off for the football. But the bloke in at nine was the genius Smith. Cameron Smith would walk up to the ruck and he would assess the defense knowing they were both calling for the ball and firing to the side that he believes was the thing.
Speaker 2: I remember Smith, you saying the same thing to Harry when we were young at Storm. So the whole thing because our spine at the Falcons was very similar to how they played. It was perhaps at full back on in twenty eighteen, myself and Harry, and it was perhaps always one of the footy. And he had the mentality like Billy Slater or he always wants the footy, he always wants his hands on it. Try to think attack. If he makes a mistake. Don't worry about it. I do the same thing. And then Smithy said, how you know, how do you dictate when to give it to that like when to give to that player? And he said this to Harry and myself because I was having to pass to perhaps a lot of the time. He said, let them call for it as many they might call for it ten times. You might only give it to him once. You base your judgment whether you not off whether they want the footy, but off what you see. I was like, you know, Smithy used to say that all the time, because if you give it to Slatsy every time he might drop it. He might drop it or make him a fullsome mistake. But you know, be very select make it. The best thing you can have is your player is the key players wanting the ball in their hands doesn't mean you have to give it to all well.
Speaker 1: Cooper Kronk said that when he first went into half back of the Melbourne Storm, he said, the first few months he found really unnerving because Billy just never stopped talking and never stopped tipping him inside ball. He was sitting here, look at this, they're short, he said. After a while I realized that noise was always going to be there. He was just presenting options to me. Yeah, you know, you take the advice. Other times you ignore it. You black it out, blanket out.
Speaker 2: What's our front row? Yeah, I'll go first.
Speaker 1: See this is another really big one.
Speaker 2: I reckon. We might have a similar one here. At eight and ten, I had Pain Hess and Mitch Barnett, and then Ryce Robson was my number nine.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the middles in the front row. Okay, the front row okay, yeah, I've got Mitch Barnett, I've gone Pain Hass and my front row, my hooker is going to be is going to be Ryce Robson. Yeah, yeah, yep, So.
Speaker 2: That side sort of there. The incumbents really yeah, I think they sort of picked himself.
Speaker 1: And Mitch has proved himself. He suits origin level, He's tough as nails. He's playing great football at the Warriors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as his pain Pain Pains playing outstands and Reece Robson's been doing it, particularly the last few weeks. He's been doing a really good job.
Speaker 1: He was fantastic last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, he was unbelievable. He's got a good running game and he's a machine gets for a heap of work. Think about riech Robson. If he was a Queenslander, they'd pick him up. Of course, you know, of course he's one of those players. Of course would Let's get let's get to thirteen now before we do back thirteen. My thirteen is Isaiah. Oh, and he's the skipper. But I had Isaiah there. I think obviously everyone knows how good Isaiah is. But yeah, he's sort of picks himself. In my opinion, I've gone ja tro Voivich starting thirteen. Wow, Okay, that's a hot take.
Speaker 1: Yep. Let's talk about why I would select him. First of all, why, sorry, why I would not leave him out? Because coops A couple of times in the past, there's been a couple of series we've left Jake out of game one, they haven't selected him, and invariably for game two and three they select him. So what is it about Jake? What is about him that when he's not selected? What do they miss so much? And why do they have to get him back? Well, it's not his passing game. He's a hell of a defender. It's not really that, it's what he brings as far as emotion is concerned. Like, in my opinion, I think he's the most emotional player in the competition. How he gets himself sky high emotion, Coop, getting yourself up for a game is a skill. He's a skill in itself. And when you get a player who's like that in the dressing room, he elevates others around him. Okay, then why do I pick him at thirteen? And why do I put Isaiah on the bench. I'm really conscious that Coops, if we're going to have if my side, if I'm going to have Mitch Moses and Nathan Cleary to start the game, I don't know if I want another ball handler out there. I just pushing the ball east where it's pushing the sideways a little bit. So I'd start the game a lot more simple. I'd put Isaiah and on the bench and bring him on after twenty minutes when you can really start, when it starts to open up through that defensive vulnerability through the middle of the field. And the other thing on top of that is I want Nathan to start the game up on the advantage line, right on the rock line, and I want him running the football. I want him playing first receiver, and I want him playing nice and straight and challenging the line. And I think sometimes if you're going to start Isaiah, he may get into the groove of gone on sweep shapes, shapes all the time. I want Nathan out there finding his groove, okay, by his own accord. And then after about twenty minutes twenty five minutes, Isaiah comes on and that combination forms yep.
Speaker 2: I like the reasoning. I yeah, you've won me back pretty well. My back row, Angus Crichton and Leam Martin. I think everyone's got them as a lock at the moment. There's a lot of good back rollers, but I think I think they probably make their way onto the bench as opposed. I think what these two did last year, they were the two of the best people on the field.
Speaker 1: But Crichton was played with seriously want yeah aut Crichton, He's the lowest, But like I think he symbolized our dominance over over Queensland last year. Oftentimes it's Queensland Queensland's forwards and in the past bullying us made he turned the table on that. Some of the things Angus did in that game last year made he ironed out Ruben Cotter at one point I've never seen Reuben toppled over like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even Lee Martin too, and Marn's kick chases. He's an animal. You terror both of them if you're half.
Speaker 1: And he's been and like and Liam and himself. He's had difficult starts at the season, but put him on that big stage and you know he's just he's going to go after it. He's going to be he's going to be eight out of ten.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go fourteen to seventeen.
Speaker 1: You do it, you're straight. I've got Connor Watson because I look at that wheat in my side. I had to look around and thought to myself, at one point, would I'll be able to slip Paps into fourteen? But I'm looking around the team and in my opinion, like there's if something happens and recent needs a break or he goes down touch what it doesn't happen. I don't know who else goes into that nine position. So And kind of was great there last year and he could play thirteen. He can, so it kind of goes into fourteen. Isaiah Yas has said before he's the next player on the bench. Hudson Young and Spencer and you Hudson. Hudson brings that speed and mobility. He's have a great start to the season. Those fast foot through the middle caused a lot of problems in Spencer again, a little bit like Jake. It's the emotion he brings.
Speaker 2: We've got a very similar one, except obviously I've got Jake Chavorovich on my bench. I picked Jake t morale and energy man emotion, but my number fourteen kind of Watson fifteen Hudson Young could have started, Honey. He's playing unbelievable the moment. Hudson's absolute peace. He's probably the form background of the whole camp sixteen Spencer Lanu, seventeen, Jake Travoyvitch and then eightieth Man. Tough to miss out Torell Mate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've got him as well, eighteenth Tough tough to.
Speaker 2: Miss out Torell. But I think there's just a few, there's a few too many income but he might be one for a game two or three, depending on how they go.
Speaker 1: I think the whole experience going up as eighteenth Man, the whole build up, state of origin, it'll be really, really really good for Terrell. Sometimes, particularly at sun Court Stadium, you go into it. No, you have the rope, but you can't. You can go into it a little bit like the first oad of a State of Origin. I played as much as I watched it on TV. It wasn't until the second and third game that I actually understood how I had to prepare for it because such a different style of football. So I think as far as preparations concerned, I think Terrell going in as eighteenth and just watching how people like Jake roy Which prepare and Isaiah prepare, I think you put him in great stead. Big regret.
Speaker 2: As for is Ryan Pappenhausen, Yeah, perhaps deserves a crack and look teddy tough to miss out to another bloke who didn't really get tossed up. But when I was doing my research and look and I was like, he's tough to miss out too. He could. He could end up a really good forteen. He's big enough. Ethan Strange.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it hasn't been mentioned his Dale come. Yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: He's young and he's but that Raiders team at the moment, he's a big part of it. And he's a gun. He's so gun and he's a big fellow. He could probably play through the middle if you couldn't find him in the background.
Speaker 1: That's an amazing thing, isn't There's some guys that on camera look like huge, but when you meet it not quite as big. Ethan always to me always like a smaller guy. And then I saw him and went, is that he isn't strange? He hides that size.
Speaker 2: And he played He played center all through junior's and played New South Wales eighteen's and that at center. So you can put he's kind of got that ford emability where you go put him in the halves. You can put him in the back line, and I'm sure he could. I mean, if you gave him a bit of tackle practice, sure he could play nine if he had to. Look, I've got a Queensland side.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what we decided to do is you said, you said you're going to do Coensland and we'll have a bit of discussion, Ay and your coueens Lands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, apsowee, So my back three little them straight off Kaylen Ponger. I think he picks himself at the moment. Brice Walsh out sort of makes a decision easier. Xavier Coats and Selwyn Cobbo my wingers.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, Wow, that's a great that's a great back three.
Speaker 2: That's a strong back three. Murray to a lungey. You even know what it's like out there moment.
Speaker 1: It's awful out there.
Speaker 2: He's tough to miss out as well as a gun player.
Speaker 1: But I think I'm just saying selling cobber Sell and Cobbo I made the observation, I think the best the best football I've seen him play at fullback. I think his football has been fantastic, But when he goes back to the wing, you watch him explode. All that work he's doing at full back as far as fitness wise, but also as far as tactical now will put him in such great steed. In the way he's played this year, I think he's setting himself up for a huge origin.
Speaker 2: Serious sellwyn word my centers, Valentine, Holmes and hammerso tabio I feeders.
Speaker 1: Have does Valentine wound wound? The clockbacks just show you change your club sometimes exactly what you need.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Val, he's going excellent. Hammo, he's a free you know, if you didn't have calin there, I mean he could he could slip in a full back. But he's one of those players he's like Turbo. You just put him in the side somewhere.
Speaker 1: Well, you think about last week that that last play Dylan Brown against the Dolphins. If Hammer's not the fullback there, Dylan Brown possibly scores and they possibly win the game. But he just turns around. Just picked him up in the strada too, just.
Speaker 2: Like that, Just like that, bam, and the dirty's gone. My haves Cameron Monster and Dally Terry Evans. Yeah, I think they. Munster is back to some really good form this year. I think he probably had a bit, you know, a bit in and out of games last year, but and he had some injuries that groin. But this year I think he's fit. He's playing outstanding. And Ches I think, look, chess is the chairs. You know, he's a champion. I know he probably hasn't been playing the best the last few weeks. For me, the whole team hasn't really been playing that good. But Chas you know, he's going to get in that jersey and he's going to play.
Speaker 1: Do you think that the d C stuff, the chess stuff has really impacted mainly I tend to think it has.
Speaker 2: I think it did. I think it does. But I think the identity of mainly the last three years is like start really strong and then they kind of fall off a cliff and like they're very they've been inconsistent the last three years as well. I wouldn't be confident enough and saying it's it's this contract thing that's hanging over there, ed because because it's been there identally the last few years where they have these purple patches where they're amazing and then they go a month where they play really poor football.
Speaker 1: I expect some bounced back last week. It's can give them the fact they come off the buy that a week rest. But poll, I think it's impacting daily. I think it has because you know, one minute, you know, to give them the fact that look, let's face it, he's had a fall out with the club and he's wearing the colors and going on there that that's I know, he's an experienced guy, he's thirty seven years of age, most experienced blake in the league. But still it impacts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure, maybe you're right. I know one Chez everything is water off a ducks back for chessa day like nothing. I've never seen anything really phasing right, So to me, I'm like I don't know if that's why. I'm like, yeah, I don't know if it has it's just that kind of personality, but the looks definitely something's going on, like they're too good a side to be performing like they have the last few weeks. But I'm sure we'll see him improve my front row eight to eight, nine, ten here Big Tino comes back into the side. They missed Team Dunboy last year. Oh man Tino is. He's what he's done for Bloody Gold Coast this year as well when he's been on that.
Speaker 1: Man's he's not a man, he's a machine.
Speaker 2: That's is it a man or a mountain? That man is a behemoth and he's playing excellent foot so shout out to your teen trying not to bring a ringworm all the way through the coins and camp.
Speaker 1: Is he patient zero?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's patient X.
Speaker 1: He is. He is.
Speaker 2: He's got the X number nine. Harry Grant, Harry Hooden.
Speaker 1: If you're going to be okay, you're gonna be fit.
Speaker 2: I think you will be. I think he will be. I mean when this comes out, he should be playing this weekend. He probably get one game under his belt. He's the kind of blow people like he doesn't lose a whole heap of fitness. He'll be working his ass off in a rehab to maintain that sort of fitness. And he always lifts. He just lifts. You gotta lift number ten.
Speaker 1: So you guy Sebastians his Achilles tandent.
Speaker 2: You've got Sebastian to his achilles. You should have should have stayed on the.
Speaker 1: Stadium, staying your laying Guy, just stick to music.
Speaker 2: Brother. Yeah, if you want to listen to guy's story, go back into early catalog. We had him on the potty last year. Yeah, didn't, and he was talking about how much he loved Afel. Remember he kept saying, here you feel this, hef all that. Well, that's what happens to man. You try to lace up the boots.
Speaker 1: Remember I said he must mate, you'll be careful. You might do your Achilles tandent.
Speaker 2: You did. I'm pretty sure it's plan. The number ten. Lindsey Collins Lynz Coggins is an animal. The Beast and him have an excellent feud. Back row Jeremiah and I and Baby Feet firmore good good selection both for more. I think they're really slim in the back row coins land A couple other blows jayd and Sewer and I think tough to miss out.
Speaker 1: But Moore is a great selection.
Speaker 2: I love both. I love it. I love him trotting feet, his little big he's an animal. And the other back row was SR Jeremiah and is on five. I think he's been playing really good. I think especially the last month, I think he just is it. He looked fit and he's back to competing on just everything. Remember we first come into first game. Every time a ball will go up, Jeremiah just go through charge and get up.
Speaker 1: And it doesn't matter what side he plays on. His combination with the center will be sweet because he's played with him and he's played with.
Speaker 2: Val Corrector third e and Patty Carrigan straightforward, straight forward. Now this is my bench fourteen. They've got a couple of good options. A lot of people don't talk about Kurt Man. Kirk Man has been playing excellently. He's Queenslander. I think Keller will do a really good job. I've actually picked Tommy Didon as the fourteen. I think he's tough enough to play through the middle. Tommy and you just put him out there. He's just a workhorse. But I mean killer Killer will do a good job. Took man.
Speaker 1: So who's fourteen? Tommy did pick himself.
Speaker 2: Tommy picks himself fifteen debutant Ring Ring Ring the debutante Bell Trent Liio. I've got twenty blue Eyes his debut. I think he's since he's moved to Locke for Melbourne the last couple of years, year and a half, I think he's been doing an excellent job and I think it's a time to get a crack on the bench.
Speaker 1: It's Jack Howarth. He's injured at the moment.
Speaker 2: He queens Queenslander, Queenslander Jackie. Yeah, j Howe is He calls himself j w H because his middle name is starts with the W, so he's been calling himself j w H. That's good. He does he point break? He wants to come on the potty too, does he really?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: He wants to come on the potty. He keeps saying. He keeps saying, mate, should I email your dad about getting me on the potty? He doesn't have a fucking email.
Speaker 1: Send him a text.
Speaker 2: And he's also nominated you for the ice pocket challenge as well. He ragged me the other day. I said, mate, I just went. Can you let your dad know I've nominated him for the Ice Pocket Challenge, I said, mate, the Ice Pocket Challenge. No one's done that since twenty fifteen.
Speaker 1: You fucking tell him to remove my name from his mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he keeps, he keeps sledging. But trentle Ero and then number sixteen Tommy Gilbert. Yeah, tough, tough, tough, he's tough man. They missed him last year. I think he's one of those blokes who play on the edge, playing in the middle and then lastly but not leastily, let me tell you that much. Ruben Cotter seventeen. Okay, I think he can play front row. You can put in the back staple.
Speaker 1: Mate. You know, mate, you've missed out one. I reckon in the costure, Corey Haws bro Big Bread, I know Big Red.
Speaker 2: There's actually two that I had from eighteenth Man, who I think are very hard done by, but Ethan Bullymore. I think Bull in China Shop has been playing really good for manly when it comes off the bench so much leak speed, put a lot of Bigcoin, Bully and then obviously Big Red, Corey Horse. I've been doing an excellent job. But I just sat. Yeah, that was the team I selected for Coins.
Speaker 1: And it's a good side. It's going to be some sort of series. It's gonna be great.
Speaker 2: You know what's this time of the year, guys when State of Origin rolls around. Doesn't matter whether you're single, divorced, whatever, you just have such a good time. The speculation, the rivalry, it's always a good game. It's always fine. You've got trel Mitt turning into treil Fit this year's kicking field goals. He's making try saving tackles. I am excited for this year.
Speaker 1: It's going to be a very in the build up, very almost traditional State of Origin builder, given the fact that on paper you look at the New South Wales side and you go, oh my god, it's just littered with stars. And then you look at Coinsland inside's got a number of stars there. They're going to be tough, hard working, so it's like it almost becomes this traditional series.
Speaker 2: But I didn't have Monster last year, you know Queensland, so yeah, and he's we all know what monsters like in State of Oregon.
Speaker 1: Okay, question for you. I've got my suspicions here because you were so urgent to mate, I'll put together MC queensly inside and just the way you spoke about them, that little green about Monster and talking about Harry. Who you going for?
Speaker 2: I go for you so well. No, I just I try to be objective, you know, as as as one of the great rugby league minds, Matt, I try to just be completely objective, not be biased, because when when bias starts coming to things. Yeah, I mean so, I try to speak just as excitedly about Queensland, which is easy for me because some of my best mates played for him as I do for you.
Speaker 1: So well, I'm with you. I'm just warning if you be objective, it's going to cost your relationship with Uncle Joey's what fuck?
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say that about him. It's his birth day.
Speaker 1: Next week next week, yeah, next week, next week, next Monday, Ridday, Coops, good job man who