Speaker 1: Showing and good evening. That was the Prime Minister Anthony Albanezi there, saying that tonight he has spoken to Julian Assange as he's arrived home. He's touchdown in Canberra. The Prime Minister said that Assiange spoke to him, told him he was happy. It was a surreal moment for him. He said that he was the first person Assiane had spoken to when he arrived back on Australian soil tonight. This is an historic moment. The Prime minister there holding a press conference in Canberra. He said the incarceration had gone on for too long. He was asked his opinion on the case repeatedly. He wouldn't comment other than to say that it was time for Sange to be released. He did take full credit for this move. He said he'd raised it directly and repeatedly with the United States President Joe Biden. He wouldn't confide whether he did plan to meet with Assige in the next few days, but as I said, he took full credit for this outcome. He said this was deplomacy at work. He said the diplomacy required patience and it was built on trust. He described himself there. Albanisi as an outcome based politician who was not there just to occupy the seat. He said he'd worked closely with Assange's legal team, which is led by Australian Jen Robertson, and with the US administration. So that is the prime minister there speaking on this breaking news, Julian Assange back on Australian soil, and Albanzi as prime Minister using this moment to boost his own credentials, taking full credit for it, saying that it was his diplomacy, his advocacy with no less than the United States President that had led to this outcome. So you're watching their live the pictures of Assige as he stepped off the plane, not life from about half an hour ago now as he's stepped off the plane on Australian soil. He arrived at Canberra Airport around half an hour ago. As I said, this is a major moment, Julian Assange back on home soil after a forteen year odal since he first broke American law by publishing classified national security documents on WikiLeaks. In doing so, he was accused of risking the lives of national security sources. But tonight he is being welcomed home by many as a hero and by the Albanese government, which, as the Prime Minister just said, fought so hard for his release. Now we are expecting to hear from Julian Assange himself this evening, if not his family. We're going to bring you that press conference live as it happens here on Sky News. We're going to keep you updated as the news unfolds. Let's go now to Canberra, as I said, where Signe has just landed and Sky News as senior potter Fiona Willin is there. Fiona, take us through what we can expect over the next hour or so.
Speaker 2: We'll try At the moment, Julian massandres in the building behind me. He's clearing customs. He's with his family. We saw him step off the plane just a short time ago. We saw him stopping. We saw him step off just a short time ago.
Speaker 1: He received a big cheer.
Speaker 2: From the crowd. Excuse me, sir, sorry, we received a big cheer. He received a really big cheer from his supporters.
Speaker 3: Look, why don't we we.
Speaker 1: Have people are clearly very excited and his arrival a Fiona, why don't we come back to you in a moment. We're just go now to Sky News host James McPherson. James, this is a major moment. Look, we've been very critical on my program, at least last night, of Julian Assange, of how he put lives at risk service men and women who who were risking their own lives to work in undercover roles in war zones, in high risk areas, and he risked exposing them. There was no redaction in the documents. This was not careful journalism as some have claimed. This was a careless document dump. Now we just heard that press conference from Albani, and the line that he's been running and other senior politicians is that they don't want to get into what Assiange did. They don't want to get into the criminality of it, even though he has just pled guilty. It was that guilty plea that has seen him walk free. But they don't want to get into that. They just want to take credit for the fact that he's released because they judge that the sentiment now in Australia is that this saga has gone on too long. After fourteen years. They judge that the sentiment is Assange has done his time.
Speaker 4: What do you think absolutely. I mean, Elbanze is a little disingenuous when he talks about how this is dragged on too long and we didn't see any value in the continued incarceration. Don't forget most of it has dragged on because Juliana Sange himself has been avoiding facing court. He spent was at seven years in the Ecuadorian embassy avoiding being tried for the crimes he was alleged to have committed. So for Anthony Albanesi to say it's dragged on too long, Julian Assange was the one who dragged this out. But as you point out, Anthony Alberanzi, who hasn't had a great twelve months, needs a win and so he was very keen to point out that Julian Assange called his team the diplomatic a team. Wow, that's amazing, high praise from Juliana Sange. He's a prime minister who gets things done. Well, how's your energy price going, how's the how's in crisis going, how's inflation going? This is a prime minister who is desperately looking for a win. So desperate for a win, he's grabbing onto the hotels of Julie Ma Sange trying to leak a bit of credibility from him. That's how desperate, Anthony Elbanez he is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just going to point out, James that we were just seeing a footage there of Assange hugging his wife Stella Siane, who's been in Australia waiting for him to arrive. And he was accompanied there as well by Jen Robinson, his lawyer. We've had her on the program. She's been his longest serving counsel. There is that emotional moment where Julian hugs his wife Stella. He does have two children, so shortly he'll be reunited with them. Look for Assange supporters, this is one of the most joyous nights for them. They will undoubtedly be celebrating and it is a closure of a long running period. But we can't forget what got him here in the first place. Let's bring in now our political panel in Cambre joining me now, National Senate leader Bridget mackenzie and Labor MP Andrew Charlton. Welcome to you both. Bridget, can I have your reaction to this. We just heard the Prime Minister there take full credit for this outcome for Juliana Sange's arrival back on Australian soil. The Prime Minister described himself as an outcome based politician. He said he wasn't just here to occupy the seat. He couldn't let this moment go without taking complete responsibility for it, he said. He said that he had raised the case with the US President Joe Brydon, and that this was diplomacy, patient diplomacy at work. What's your response tonight, Bridget McKenzie.
Speaker 5: I'll look obviously very happy for mister Assange and his family there, obviously over the moon. But let's not think that this guy's the public hero number one that the Prime Minister's trying to make him out to be.
Speaker 1: He is no journalist.
Speaker 6: In my view.
Speaker 5: Journalists have to check their facts, sources, and indeed this guy just dumped a whole lot of documents onto the internet, happened to be good at tech and put agents potentially at risk. That is not what a great journalist does. So I don't see him as a public hero. Obviously happy that he's home, safe and sound for him as a personal level, but I think this is another case on the day when we've seen inflation with a four in front of it making the Reserve Bank Governor's job harder on interest rates, that the Prime Ministry is once again tone deaf to what the real issues Australians are concerned about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we're going to get to that inflation rate in a moment. But what do you think, Andrew, Do you think this is a distraction from the Prime minister? Do you think Massange should be lauded as some kind of hero.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of people have different views about Juliana Sange, about who he is and what he did. But from the Australian Government's perspective, there is really only one fact that matters, and that is that he is an Australian citizen and he spent the best part of fifteen years in different forms of confined So the Australian Government did what we would do for any Australian citizen, which is advocate for their case. It has taken a lot of patience, diplomacy, a lot of hard work on the part of our embassies abroad, and I pay credit to our embassies in Washington and London, and it has been a difficult thing to achieve. And I do think that the government deserves credit for bringing an Australian citizen home. Whatever you think of that Australian citizen and what he did.
Speaker 1: All right, Look, let's have a look at some of the other topics today. We are standing by tonight to hear from Julian Assange himself. He is expected to speak to the media tonight and if not him, his family. So we'll bring you that live as it happens. As I said, we've just heard from the Prime Minister. If you're just tuning in now, Julian Assange is now back on Australian soil. Well, let's have a look at these inflation figures today. The ABS start is showing that inflation has searched four percent from three points six percent for the year to May. This is not good news again, it's a further sign that we could be looking at a rate rise this year. Here was Treasurer Jim Charmers speaking about this today.
Speaker 7: As I said before, as we've said many times, the monthly numbers bounce around. They don't compare the same goods and services.
Speaker 1: I mean, bridget the cost of living is the issue that most people, most Australians are interested in, are concerned by us struggling with you know, not Julian Assange's freedom. So are you worried about today's inflation data?
Speaker 5: Well, absolutely, I'm worried about it. The Australian public's worried about it, mortgage holders are worried about it. The only people that aren't worried about it the government. Jim Charmer's even casual disregard during question time and your click just earlier shows that he doesn't have an economic plan that's working.
Speaker 1: We're at the back of the back when it comes to the G ten.
Speaker 5: This homegrown inflation is going in the wrong direction, as I said earlier, is going to make the Reserve Bank Governor's role very difficult as she looks to interest rates.
Speaker 1: And households are struggling.
Speaker 5: Their electricity has gone up twenty one percent in the last two years, housing and rents fourteen percent. Australians are struggling, and what we've seen is a very weak government.
Speaker 1: They're not prepared to.
Speaker 5: Make the tough decisions on the budget. They're not prepared to cut spending in those really difficult structural areas, and they've been distracted. If it's not the Voice this week, it's Assange. A few months ago they couldn't find their detainees. So on every single measure there are distracted and weak government and the Australian public deserves better because right now they're going backwards.
Speaker 1: Andrew, it wasn't so long ago when the inflation forecasts were meant to come down. We were expecting potentially even a rate the rates to fall, a rate cut before Christmas. Look, it doesn't look like that's the case at all. What's gone wrong here? Why is inflation not falling as we expect it?
Speaker 3: Well, inflation has been persistent around the world. But I do take issue with what Bridget just said. But Jim chalmers economic plan is working and he has the runs on the board to show it. He has delivered two budget surpluses at the same time, he has brought down inflation by half and he has delivered the lowest unemployment of any first term government on record. Now, it is true that inflation still has further to come down and there is more hard work to do.
Speaker 1: But are you worried it's moving in the wrong direction? Now? Are you worried that inflation is now rising not falling?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 3: Core inflation, the measure that the RBA looks at, has been steady for a couple of months. Jim Charmers is right that these are monthly numbers which are quite volatile and only contain part of the CPI, so we'll get a better read on it when the full quarterly numbers come out. But what we do know is this that when Bridget's Party was in office, they left us with inflation running at a quarterly rate was two point one percent. It's now half that, at one percent in the most recent quarterly numbers. And if we had left inflation running at the level that Bridget's Party left it, prices today would be seventeen percent higher than they were at the election. Average families will be paying two hundred dollars a week more for their expenses. So inflation has come down a lot. It's absolutely true that it has got further to go, and that's why the government's plan to deliver a prudent budget surplus to pursue fiscal discipline is the right path to help families, to help mortgage.
Speaker 1: It's going to be hard convincing Australians of that, especially if there is a rate rise, which is now clearly on the table. Just before we go to a break, let's look at the latest on Labor. Senator Fatima Payment. As you know, last night she crossed the floor to support a Green's motion on Gaza. Well, today the Prime Minister said during question time in Parliament that he had suspended her from Labor Calcus sessions for the rest of this parliamentary session. Bridget do you think this was a strong enough response from the PM.
Speaker 5: Look, I'm no fan of the solidarity principles within Labor, but it is fundamental to who they are. You sign up, you have the debate inside with the factions, and once you leave caucus, you're all in the fact that Penny Wong, because of solidarity, had to vote against same sex marriage, against her own principles and conscience I find appalling Josh Burns had to do the same on matters of Israel and Palestine. And yet because this senator, maybe because this senator senator isn't a Christian, maybe because this senator is a female, maybe because this Prime Minister is more concerned about votes in Western Sydney than he is about the principles of solidarity that his own party was built on.
Speaker 1: She's getting a leaf passed.
Speaker 5: It is very on brand for Anthony Albanizi to once again demonstrate how absolutely weak he is when he has to make tough decisions that labor leaders before him have had to make.
Speaker 1: He's squipped it again. It could simply be that he agrees with her. Andrew Charlton, go ahead.
Speaker 3: I think it's simple than that. I think Fatima payment is in an incredibly difficult situation. Obviously, she is very deeply personally impacted by the crisis in the Middle East. I think most Australians would feel a lot of sympathy for the position that she is in. I don't think that we should be politicizing it in the way that Bridget is politicizing it. She's in a very difficult situation.
Speaker 5: We all have to make difficult decision with her. I think the whole nature of politics and parliament, you are making difficult decisions and weighing up tensions around every single question that we have to debate in this place. Andrew and to somehow single out this senator as if she's the only one had any personal conflict in a decision they've had to make. I know you've only been here a short time, but that happens regularly, and that's why your party has the principles of solidarity, so you have the fight inside the fact that she's rejected it and ignored it like others who've done.
Speaker 6: That before her.
Speaker 5: She should be sacked from the party and go join the Greens.
Speaker 3: Firstly, ouch on the first term Burn Bridgide, but secondly, hey, you know.
Speaker 1: He has actually been around his can breath for a very long time. I mean it's not just the gray hairs, but he was running Kevin Rudd's economic plot felt I mean you I was going to say he was running heaven Rad's economic policy during the global financial crisis. So he's been in the nation's capital for much longer than just one term. Go ahead, Andrew.
Speaker 3: Charlton, Thank you, Shari. I appreciate that. Look. I think Fatima Payment has made a decision that comes from her conviction. I think that's precisely what you're saying you are looking for in politicians, bridget She has done that. I think most Australians would sympathize with her position, given her background and given how this issue has affected her so deeply and so personally, and frankly, I don't think we should politicize it beyond that.
Speaker 1: I'll just give the final word to myself over here, which is that I think she could have expressed some sympathy for the one hundred and twenty innocent Israelis, including babies and children, who are still being held hostage, and for the one thousand and two hundred innocent citizens who were murdered by her muss on the seventh of October. But in all of her recent commentary, including the opinion piece that she just wrote in our Jazeira, there was not one mention of hostages and what not, one mention of her mus And you know, you need to as any individual, doesn't matter whether you support Israel or not, but you need to be able to empathize and sympathize and you know, have a place in your heart for all innocent people suffering, and we haven't seen that from her. All right, Andrew Charlton Bridget mackenzie, thank you both very much for your time. Now, coming up after the break, we're on standby to hear from Julian Assan, who's just touched down in Canberra, and we will bring you the latest news on that. Also, we've got breaking news tonight. A teenager has been arrested after threatening a new South Wales Politician's office with knives. I've got that exclusive story coming up, plus a freed hostage will join me live from Israel. Stay tuned, Welcome back.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: The breaking news tonight is that Julian Assange has touched down on Australian soil. We're waiting to hear from him this evening. We've also heard tonight from the Prime Minister who has said that he's spoken to Juliana Sange. He said Sanje said, this is a surreal moment and he's feeling very happy to be back in Australia. We're going to bring you that news as it unfolds. But let's go now to Israel, where it's been nearly nine months since the October seven attacks. There are still over one hundred and twenty Israeli's held hostage by Hermas, waiting to be rescued and returned to their families, whose lives remain in limbo. One of those still trapped in Gaza is Keith Siegel. He along with his wife Aviva, were abducted at gunpoint from their home in Keifar Azar that's a kibbutz near the Gaza border. For a while, the couple were together, but then they were separated in November when Aviva was released as part of a hostage deal, and she joins me now live from Israel. Aviva, thank you very much for your time. Look, can you take us back to the moment when you and your husband were captured? What happened that morning?
Speaker 6: First, I want to.
Speaker 8: Say good evening to everybody and thank you for having me and listening to me. It's important for me to tell everybody that it's true because I was there and that Kith, my husband is still there and I'm waiting for him to come back so badly.
Speaker 6: My whole body saw.
Speaker 8: I'm tired of talking and talking and telling people what I went through and thinking about kid being in the same place that I was. We were kidnapped on the seventh of October with our pajamas from a house. We felt that we were secured in her house on keyboots for Raza.
Speaker 6: Sixty four people were murdered on my keyboots. I know them all.
Speaker 8: They my friends, and it's very difficult for me to even think about all of that. But the most important thing is that I'm here for Keith. I'm not through what I went through. I'm here for Keith and all the hostages. We need them back soon, as soon as possible, because they're going through hell like I did.
Speaker 6: So we were taken on the seventh from our house. We were in a little room that we thought that was.
Speaker 8: Safe, and there were lots of missiles coming from Gaza, so we sat there and we felt that something else different was happening, and it felt like the end of the world.
Speaker 6: It was very noisy.
Speaker 8: There were bombs all over from Gaza sent to us, and we were scared. And in a short while there were fifteen people from Hamas that came into my house, walked, shot my hounds, shooting around Keith and I screaming at us, pushed us and they broke kiths ropes and shot Kit's hand.
Speaker 6: We arrived to Gaza, keep us bleeding.
Speaker 8: He was sore, in a complete We were in a complete and activite shock, and I.
Speaker 6: Was there for fifty one days.
Speaker 1: Aviva, thank you for having the courage to speak about this. We can all see how difficult, how traumatic this is for you. You know, you've described it as hell just then the period that you were held hostage, and you know how horrifying it is knowing that your husband Keith is still there without re traumatizing you can you tell us just how bad it was having to help be held captive by these terrorists in Gaza.
Speaker 8: They had no respect for us at all. They didn't even let us feel like we are human. We weren't allowed to talk. We were staffed while they're ate in front of us. We had to beg, beg for water. We had to lie down most of the time for more than seventeen hours of the day and not even move. We weren't allowed to talk. We had to whisper sometimes and sometimes just be quiet, completely quiet. And that was day after day, minute after minute. It was for a long time. I was there for seven weeks and two days. Kit is still there nearly for nine months. Going through that, lying on a mattress with no sheet, with the cushion, without the cover, without being able to have a shower, start lying with nothing to do, nothing at all. You just have to lie down or sit and wait for the time to go by. We were taken and moved thirteen times. I was down ground and I was nearly dead with Keith. They took us down the ground and there was no oxygen at all and we could not breathe.
Speaker 6: I want everybody that's.
Speaker 8: Listening to me just to think about what it could be and what feeling it would be to have no a just lie down and trying to figure out how you're going to take the next breath, and just hoping that Keith won't die before me, or if something what happened to him and I have to look after him, or just see him dead next to me, like so many people in Israel saw on the seventh they killed families, They burned them alive, they raped the mothers in front of their family. Everything is such a brutal way. They used to threaten us all the time. We were starved all the time. One of the times they took the key into the shower and they shaved his whole body and they told him that he needs to shave his intimate place.
Speaker 6: Just to make fun of him. After doing that, they just stood and laughed. Kid you sixty four years.
Speaker 1: Old, Aviva, It's just so horrifying for words, it is so traumatic. I can't thank you enough for having the courage to be on national television here in Australia and speak about that trauma so publicly. We all pray for you that Keith is returned home safely and soon. And we are so sorry for what you and all your fellow Israelis are going through. We talk about you on this program every single night. We fight for the hostages and remember them, and we won't forget. We will keep it in the public eye. Aviva Siegel, thank you very much for sharing your story this evening.
Speaker 6: I need and need and need your help.
Speaker 8: I need anybody's help that could bring you and past just as we are desperate.
Speaker 6: I'm begging anybody that can.
Speaker 1: We'll do everything we can to keep it in the new cycle in the public's mind. Thank you very much. It's so dramatic. It's so important to keep hearing those stories and not to forget that this is happening now, because we just hear from our politicians mostly criticism of Israel, not of Hermas, even though there are still innocent citizens, including baby Kafir, who are still being held there. All right, the impact of social media on teenagers is a major political issue right now. The evidence is mounting that there are serious dangers for teenagers online, from mental health to cyberbullying and sexual grooming. Even the United States Surgeon in general wants to have warning labels on social media apps, just like cigarette packaging. He says, this is the greatest public health issue of our time, Yet many parents inevitably to come to peer pressure and give their teenagers smartphones before they feel that they're ready. Well, I'm joined now by one mother who's trying to change this. Amy Friedlander, is the co founder of the new initiative weight Mate. It's a movement to empower parents to delay smartphones for their children until they're at least in high school. And Amy, a mum of three herself, joins me. Now, Amy, welcome to the program. Such a big news night tonight as well. Can you tell us a bit about the initiative, What is weight mate and how does it work?
Speaker 9: Thank you, Shary. Sure.
Speaker 10: So, Look, as you said, this is one of the biggest issues of our time. We're seeing terrible mental health outcomes for teens, and the truth is it can be really hard for parents to not give their kid a smartphone, especially if their child is the only one without. And so what we're trying to do with weight mate is kind of get communities to stand together because parents can have strength in numbers.
Speaker 9: We've designed a pledge.
Speaker 10: People can visit our website and they can pledge to delay giving a smartphone to their child until at least high school is seven or eight or year nine later the better, and in doing so can stand stronger with their cohort.
Speaker 9: Now this is significant because in being.
Speaker 10: Connected with other parents who do the same in your child's specific class, you really have the opportunity to hold off and not give in and stand strong in your boundary. We know this is not good for our kids, but the pull at the moment is really, you know, quite strong. We want kids to be kids for longer. We want to slow down this growing up and give children the nourishing, play based childhood that they deserve.
Speaker 1: So we're seeing politicians at the moment like Peter Dutton and the South Australian Premier Peter mallanaskus put on the table the concept of actually banning social media apps until children are say fourteen or sixteen years years old. But this is a slightly different concept because this puts it back in the hands of parents and it's not just social media, but it's the whole smartphone exactly.
Speaker 9: Shary.
Speaker 10: Now, it's wonderful to see these initiatives and the advocacy that's happening to delay social media.
Speaker 9: But the reality is that.
Speaker 10: Smartphones are the gateway to these apps, and we're seeing the harm that they're causing. So while we totally applaud and support all the work being done at a government level, and I am so relieved on a personal level, it's not enough. And we also can't wait for those things to pass and for the technology to get sorted to work out how do we actually verify that this person is sixteen and then they're just lying about their age when they sign up.
Speaker 9: So yeah, look, it's really important.
Speaker 10: To not just kind of have that coming from a legal standpoint, but to also ensure that children are not walking around with the Internet in their pockets. Smartphones are designed to be incredibly addictive. Some developers refer to this as brain hacking, because literally they've looked into the psychology of what gets people to keep coming back for more. And I'm sure many adults can relate to the fact that we know how addictive it is exactly. And so for a child whose brain is not fully developed, where the pre frontal cortex is still you know, in development, it's even more harmful to have that in their pocket.
Speaker 9: And really it's the opportunity cost.
Speaker 10: What else would this child be doing if they weren't continually checking a phone. And even without social media, the phone itself, there's internet, it's the internet.
Speaker 1: In their pocket.
Speaker 10: As I said, YouTube, etc. All of these things have no place in primary school.
Speaker 1: Just before you go a lot of parents want their kids to have a phone because they're worried about security concerns and when their kids in their early teens are starting to be a bit independent, it gives the parents comfort knowing that they can be contacted.
Speaker 10: You know what's the argument the look that's very valid and we are not against children being able to communicate with parents. We're against children having pokes in their pockets and a smartphone device.
Speaker 9: On our website we.
Speaker 10: Have resources to recommend for parents various other devices, dumb phones, smart watches, GPS trackers, there's so many other options that can still give your child independence.
Speaker 1: A dumb phone or a smart watch. That's a good answer. So if people want to find out more, they can head to wait mate dot org dot au. Parents can sign up to the pledge. This is now going to be a big movement. We're bringing the news here first, but it is going to be in the media in the coming days and weeks ahead.
Speaker 10: Absolutely, and parents will be connected when at least ten in their cohort pledge, they will have strength in numbers. They will be connected with those parents and able to hold off until at least high school.
Speaker 1: We hope. Well, congratulations on this am. I'm sure it's going to be very popular with a lot of parents because it does take the peer pressure off the table. Thank you very much for joining us.
Speaker 9: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Now let's get back to our breaking news tonight that Julian Assange has landed in Canberra. We heard from the Prime Minister a little earlier. He confirmed that he was the first person Julian Assange spoke to on his arrival in Camber tonight, Alberizi described it as a warm discussion. He said it was a surreal and happy moment for the newly freed Julian Assange. The PM couldn't help but take a bit of credit for the release, or full credit rather for the release. He said he'd raised the case personally with the United States President Joe Biden, and he gave his own government a pat on the back, but he wouldn't answer whether what Assange did was actually wrong or right. He was repeatedly asked the question about his view on Assinge's publication of national security documents a document dump. He wouldn't respond to that. He just said that there was no ongoing purpose for his continued incarceration. Let's bring in now Jeffrey Robinson, international human rights lawyer who has worked with and fought for Assandra's release for many years. Now, Jeffrey joins US Live. Thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 6: Good morning.
Speaker 1: How happy are you this evening? Jeffrey Robertson, Well, it's.
Speaker 11: Prett easy to see him safe and free from the illness that has plagued him in the top security prison where he's been for five years. And he's back, and I think he joins the group of Australian journalists who have prodded at power and have exposed military secrets. They begin with your proprietor, your Proprietor's father, Keith Murdoch, who exposed the British Army deliberately. And then of course we've had Phil Knightly and Murray's Sale and.
Speaker 6: Pilger.
Speaker 11: We may have Sherry Markson in that pantheon on of people, journalists, commentators and so on who expose truths about what is happening. So for that reason, I think it's good that he's back. I'd point out an answer or the answer that mister alban Easy might have given. Kevin Rudd gave it some years ago that the material that he published was never top secret. That's the classification that is required if lives are going to be a risk for disclosure. The material that he published was not in that category. So the idea, and indeed the judge said yesterday all this morning time is getting a little mixed. But the judge in sentencing him said that there was no physical harm resulting from his work.
Speaker 1: So that although of course they could have although of course there was no reduction of names, and there could have been physical harm downe lives were put at risk, there was concern that sources were exposed. But not to get back into that argument now, Jeffrey robertson what do you expect Julian Assange will do now that he's free in Australia. Does the intention work in a journalist.
Speaker 11: Speak, Cherry, He's going to make a speech at first microphone that's put in his direction. He will speak usually, as I recall for a long time, I recall looking at my watch as he went on. But I hope his minders have reminded him that the public's ability to take in what he says is limited, and I hope he'll confine himself to the important thing about his case, which was that the Obama people, and I knew, very high up Obama people, said we don't want him. We think he's covered by the First Amendment, which is the great security for Americans or for writing for American papers. But then the Trump lawyers, in bringing this case against him, developed a new theory that he didn't get his protection because he was an Australian, so he only protected Americans. And of course there are journalists around the world, many from Britain who write about the Pentagon, write about American military endeavors, not all of them satisfactory, And so met Jeffrey one about a scientists. But it would have taken years, what about his lett It would have gone to the Supreme Court. So he's really wise, I think, to take this clean bargain. As David Hicks, you remember.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can hear, I can hear your phone is going off there everyone's trying to contact you because this is a big news day. Just before you go, Jeffrey Robertson, do you expect that Julina Sande will want to now work as a journalist? Does he intend to get a job.
Speaker 11: I don't know what Julian will do, but I think he needs some rest and recreation, maybe go back to where he was born on Magnetic Island, but.
Speaker 6: He will.
Speaker 11: I think he's a very pleasant and erudite man. And it may be that self taught or to that act. It may be that you'll write either an autobiography or get into philosophy of some kind. But his insight into international affairs was always considerable.
Speaker 1: And I think, well, you think he would have had it enough time by now to write an autobiography is if he hasn't written one over the past fourteen years, And I tell you what, he's just wasted his time. But Jeffrey Robertson, always a delight to have you on the program. Thank you very much, such a charmer. So coming up after the break, we're on standby to hear from the wikileagu's founder, Julian A. Sane, who has tonight touchdown in camera. Stay tuned Well, it's been a massive night of breaking news, and what I'm about to tell you was originally going to be at the start of my show tonight because it is big news. A nineteen year old has been arrested by New South Wales police with multiple knives outside a labor politician's office. We broke this story on skynews dot com this evening. The teenager was reading aloud a two hundred page manifesto where he vowed to commit a mass killing. He was also live streaming this as he stood outside the office of a state labor politician. The terrifying manifesto, which included some anti Semitic content, was sent to a number of high profile figures in the media and politics today. Police were immediately notified. I was one of those who received this manifesto and it was highly alarming. In it, the nineteen year old said he was involved in chat groups where terror threats had been made, and he described how to make a bomb and detailed in graphic terms his deathly intent. Counter Terrorism police are now investigating both the incident and the manifesto. The nineteen year old has been arrested his in custody. New Southwal's police confirmed he was arrested at twelve thirty today. The Daily Telegraph has reported that it wasn't just knives that he had on him, but also a bulletproof vest. Now we can confirm the politician was new Southeale's labor MP Tim Krackenthorpe, and he told us I understand that there was an incident in Newcastle today. I've spoken with police and they are managing the situation and have assured me that nobody was harmed. I've been advised that the individual briefly walked in and out of my office. So that is the story that unfolded today and we have to thank the police for their quick response. It was very reassuring to know that they got it under control. So quickly. Let's bring in now the director of Headline Advisory and Scott Morrison's former media advisor, Andrew Carswell. Andrew, I want to get your response first to the big news tonight, the Prime Minister's comments about Assane who is now back on Australian soil.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Charlie was pretty gripping viewing tonight. No matter what you think of Julian Massange, you couldn't take your eyes off the screen tonight. And it's been a long running saga which has finally ended. That's pretty tortuous chapter. And Julian is home. I'm pretty uncomfortable. I'm happy that he is. I think he's served his time, but I'm pretty uncomfortable with the fact that he has been given a heroes welcome. This is not a man that deserves the glorification that he is getting. This is a man, by his own account, by his own confession, even in the last twenty four hours, that he is a convicted traitor under the Espionage Act. This is a man of deeply flawed character. And remembering too that this is a man that's stood accused of a rape and a sexual assault in Sweden. He's not a man that deserves glorification.
Speaker 1: Now, I just want to ask your reaction to this incident. Today, a teenager sent a terrorism manifesto to people in the media, including myself. He was then arrested outside the office of a State Labor and p We're going to show you that vision right now while we speak. Andrew. This is concerning It does feel like there is a volatile climate at the moment. There was some anti Semitic content in that manifes Esto.
Speaker 7: We're seeing more and more of these incidents shari and it is troubling. And what is mostly troubling here is the age of the alleged perpetrators here. They're getting younger and younger, and it's clearly a case of senior people within their own community whispering in their ear is getting them to this stage where they will commit these acts. It is deeply troubling. But it's also you get the sense that the temperature is still hot in this debate and it's not being helped by politicians in both at both federal level and state level that are not taking the temperature down on these issues of race and religion, particularly when it comes to antisemitism, and not enough is being said to bring down that temperature, and we're seeing time and time again these instants crop up.
Speaker 1: I absolutely agree. I think the main message from the Prime Minister should be that whatever your view on this conflict is, we can't bring the hatred to Australia. That is clear nearly what the message should be, and there should have been tough law enforcement right from the start, right from those Opera House protests on October the ninth, that this is not on, that we can't see this sort of aggression on our streets. Andrew Carswell, I apologize it was so short tonight. It has been a big night of breaking news. We'll have you back on as always next week. Thank you everyone for your time tonight. I'll see you tomorrow at eight. And here's Paul Murray.