Speaker 1: High Scrollers is produced on gadigaul Land.
Speaker 2: We pay our respects to the traditional custodians of this country and Elder's past and present.
Speaker 1: Always was, always will be Aboriginal Land.
Speaker 2: Well, this is a story I want to talk about in the main episode, but we just run out of time, and I thought, well, let's talk about it now because it's still a bit relevant. But basically, Love Island, USA. Are you watching?
Speaker 1: No, I've never watched any Love Island. Oh really Yeah, it's one of those shows that I'm like, oh, I've never seen that.
Speaker 2: I have spoken about this before. Where Sky and I one year we were like, we want to get into reality TV. Yes, we don't watch enough of it. Let's watch Love Island Australia. I watched the one where Claudia and Austin won yea and Phoebe was on it and Mitch was on it and I don't remember who Wait is.
Speaker 1: The Claudia and Austin like they're both brunette.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's really tall. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Someone tagged me in the comments of one of his or hervey recently because it was him dropping down on one knee pretending to yeah. And it was like the week after we'd done that episode where I was talking about that, and I'd have wrote back to it, so I fucking hate this. Stop doing that to women. Like, honestly, I'm going to protest, Well, they're both lovely.
Speaker 2: I love them, and I love Phoebe and I love Mitch, And I think that's all that I've that I know from that season. But I remember I watched the whole season and I liked it, but obviously not enough to continue watching Love Island. But it's a huge show and it's a huge cultural thing, like so many people.
Speaker 1: Watch it, IC a lot into it.
Speaker 2: I like almost follow the show without watching anyway, thanks to social media, like I kind of know what's going on. But anyway, there's this guy on this season of Love Island and he's from Pennsylvania and he was actually a police officer who's part of the police department. And uh, the guy's name which can't find here, but anyway, the mayor of the town came out with a statement and the statement was, our police departments spent a lot of time training and we paid thousands of taxpayer dollars to send this guy to the police academy. We are disappointed he left as we now have another vacancy in our department that is impossible to fill until next year. I never thought i'd see the day in America where reality show participation wins out over being a police officer. He's clearly very upset about this guy.
Speaker 1: Being left being a police officer to go on Love Island, and then the place that he worked is like, we're so disappointed.
Speaker 2: His name is Sean, by the way, I've just figured that out. His mum gets involved in the comments of the post and she's like, this is Sean's mum. And the statements made here by the officials are disappointing. They've missed a huge opportunity to make a positive impact. They did not spend taxpayer dollars to send him to a full academy. He came with four years of experience from northern California, where he was a sheriff deputy Contra Costi Contra Costa County Sheriff Department paid for him to attend a full academy. Yes, they spent some but they are making statements that do not tell the whole story. Also, I think it's interesting that they say he resigned because he was told to put in for leave before going to the show, and then after arriving in Fiji to film the show, his leave was denied, which meant he had to say, Okay, well I've got to leave because you haven't you haven't approved my leave, so I guess I have to quit because I'm already in Figi film and Love Island.
Speaker 1: You know, it's really interesting how different the laws are in different countries in terms of like employment, Like in America. Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure in America they don't have any like employment security for employees, whereas like here, employees have so many rights and protections. But I think in America, I could be wrong. You can literally just go you're fired. Yeah, and you can just sack someone on the spot. Yeah, isn't that wild?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I saw something on TikTok and someone said that that they're American and they moved here to Australia and they said it was a real culture shock for me because when I moved here, I realized that everyone's jobs here aren't their life. But in America, that is your entire identity. It's how you like introduce yourself to people.
Speaker 1: Because like they can get fired immediately. Again, I could be wrong with this.
Speaker 3: I think that comes down to like the psychology of how they've manipulated the system to make people like work for the man, do you know what I mean? Where it's like here, our job isn't like it's such a small part of who we are, as people were over there live to work. Yeah, that is such a like huge part of their identity. And because a lot of these like corporations over there, like they have so much control over the employees, you know what I mean, They're so expendable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's just crazy because like in Australia, being an employeer myself, you can like have someone in your workplace that is, you know, causing heaps of trouble and stress for your did the work, the team, and like you can't just go get out of here. I mean you can, but you're getting so much trouble because employees have so much you know, rights and protection in the workplace, whereas I think it's completely different in America, you know what I mean. Just really interesting.
Speaker 2: Well, the best part about the post that I saw is that all of the comments were in full support of Sean and of Love Island.
Speaker 1: Put a face to the name.
Speaker 2: I couldn't find any negative comments. Some people saying jobs fire us every day and we don't call the news. God forbid, he quits his job, whereas the man's obviously done a statement about it. Someone said the man's response is likely the exact reason why he left him. Yes, that's him, okay. Someone said that he should they should have just given him the leave that he asked for. People saying, well, you've just made him even more famous and more popular. He'll be set for a while. And then dollar signs and people's are really supportive, saying he's trying to be his own boss. Who wants to work for somebody else when you can have the opportunity to blow up off this show and live large Based on the man's response, that guy made the right choice, because who wants to work under someone that has a problem with putting yourself first? Oh my goodness, it's amazing. This person says Trump is the president and he's a felon. I don't want to hear it, which is a really good point because the man said, if you go back to that quote, I never thought i'd see the day in America where reality show participation wins out over being a police officer. Your president is literally a reality staff from the Apprentice, like you know, pot calling the kettle black as they say, all of the people here are in full support of this person. Proof that your day job doesn't care about you. These jobs really out here still believing we live to work and they are the end all be all. We have dreams and aspirations. The bills just need to be paid. While I aspire Ireland. Check was clearly way bigger. Wait till he found finds out a reality TV show participant is currently running the country. It was really not like it's it's and a lot of people saying, now we're rooting for him. He's got a win because you know.
Speaker 1: He says he's been booted off.
Speaker 2: Oh so he's already been booted off.
Speaker 1: All right, Well he'll have success, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: But I just I thought that was so I'm gonna say, bitchy, what a bitchy man to get out there and do a statement again, very she to get out there and go, oh, this guy who we trained to do this? I mean, can you imagine training someone at Fate and then they go, I'm going to go on Love Island and then you come out with a statement to all your followers and go, I can't believe I spent money.
Speaker 1: I would never but I think we would all be surprised at how personally workplaces do take people's resignations. But you can't like every person is always going to put themselves first, and like I will always stand by and back that. You know, if someone was to work with me and then say I'm going to go do this, I'm going to go do that. I'm going to go on Love Island like I'm all for it, because you have to put yourself first at the end of the day. But a lot of businesses and clearly that guy can't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this comment is really good as well. Why did they not support him so he could be a positive spokesperson for the police, Just to missed opportunity all round. You know, the mayor could have been like, well, we've got one of our own. Yeah.
Speaker 1: They could have done a whole gag about it and like, you know, made some fun content about it. But instead they went the opposite way.
Speaker 3: But also all the bad wrap the police get it just adds to it. No, no, yeah, but they could have spun that to make it a really positive.
Speaker 2: Huh, look on like the police. So the man needs better pr exactly, is what we're saying. The mayor of Pennsylvania or wherever, I.
Speaker 1: Want to just quickly google who that is is? Do we know who he is?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got his name here, hang on, Mayor J. William Reynolds. And he said it on ABC twenty seven. There you go. Look, I'll do my research allegedly allegedly. Don't know. I don't know if I got it right or not. But anyway, if we don't want to get sued Mayor J. William Reynolds, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I can't fucking find him.
Speaker 2: Well, if the mayor has an Instagram, you know, is that where you're trying to find him?
Speaker 1: No, I'm looking on Google. People are always going to put themselves first. And like I have friends who own businesses, and I've had lots of conversations about them because when you are an employer and like them, how they said, we've trained you, We've done all this stuff. If someone then goes and leaves, it can feel personal and like it hurts your feelings. But like businesses, that guy they need to under saying like nothing in business is personal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what do you think about because obviously, like Justin Trudeau, who was the Prime Minister of Canada, he's obviously not the prime minister more. He's left politics, yeah, and now he's dating Katy Perry. But he's someone who was like a man of office who's now left his employment and now he's living a completely different life in a completely different limelight. Like it's essentially the same thing, like.
Speaker 1: Going off to do something completely different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But like like what do you I personally don't care. I'm like live your life. But like why do you think people like hate that so much?
Speaker 2: Do they? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think a lot of people have issue with it, Like if you're a prime minister now you're dating a pop star, that's not right. But like he's now left that employment, yeah, and now he's downing Katy Perry.
Speaker 1: It's different. Was he the prime minister yeah, of Canada? Yeah, I don't know. I guess it's a bit different when it's like fully political like that.
Speaker 3: But like I guess, like being a being is political, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Why? My thing is why are they so concerned about what he does after being prime minister when they're not concerned with what someone does before they become president. Sort your fucking shut out dogs. You know what I'm saying. This is what I'm saying. I just quickly want to mention another creator from Australia, Jen A. You know j So obviously recently Dave Hughes has been a little bit outspoken about the Albanese government and everything going on with the housing crisis, et cetera, et cetera. And Jenna actually made a really good point. So she made a video the other day which if you sorry, sorry, I'm trying to find it. Sorry, sorry, there's so much going on. But she made a video the other day which I saved, and she starts by talking about a comment that she left on Hughsey's post, saying keep talking. We need more people talking about this, right like in support of Hughsey. And someone's written back being like, oh, you're gonna lose followers for this, and she's basically making this video saying she doesn't care about it. And look, Jenna, God bless lover. She's lovely. But there's been lots of times on social media where she shared things. I'm also friends with her on her personal Facebook as well, So like I've seen some of the things that she shares, and she definitely has like some views that are very different to my own, and that's fine. But I've started watching this video and I was like, oh god, she's gonna say she supports one nation or something like that. And she starts talking about one nation and I was like, oh no, oh no no. But she actually made this really good point where she said, if you don't know why there's a rise of one nation right now in this country, then you're not paying enough attention. And I was like, like, I think I know what the reason is. But then she goes on to say in this video, which if you want to find, it's on a page and the caption is let's talk share your thoughts. I'm interested in everyone's opinion. And obviously the comments are quite you know, Oh wow, I didn't know you'd be a one nation support. She says, at what point did I say that this is an issue with social media et cetera. Basically what she says, which she makes a good point and I actually agree with her on this, is that she basically says, they gave the liberals a chance to fix and it all got worse. They've given labor a chance to fix and it's still getting worse. Where else can Australians turn Right now at the moment the loudest party, Like, I feel like we're not hearing anything from the Greens right now. Where are the Greens? Where are the Greens? What's going on? And Jen says in this video like right now one the only other party that we're hearing about is One Nation. And so when Pauline Hansen goes, here's a fundraiser. We're trying to raise however much money, I think she wanted like fifty thousand dollars or something, and she raised like three million in two days, which is really scary at face value. At face value, you go, how is one Nation getting that much money? Of course, my mind goes, well, no one's got any money, so it's got to be the billionaires given her and gena Ryan Hart's gone, there's a million dollars love for your bloody fundraiser, because they're the people that Pauline has in her pocket, right and we all know that Gina is a good friend of hers and gives her planes and whatever allegedly allegedly is happening. But Jenny said, Jena always say, Jeni Jena said right now, Australians want to stick it to labor and say you're not doing enough. So it's like a signal because what she was saying was most people who probably donated to One Nation for that fundraiser probably don't want to actually vote one nation and probably never could morally right, which is me like, I go, never in a million years, no matter what her policy is, would I ever vote one nation. I don't care what she says. The facts do not line up with what she has voted against in the past. It is not a good decision for Australia to have pauling fucking hands and one nation running this country. That is not a good no matter what angle you spin it. I don't care what political ideas you have in your head. That is not a good That is Donald Trump two point oh for Australia.
Speaker 1: I don't understand is how can these politicians, like, while they're campaigning, how can they say all of these things that they're going to do or not get rid of, and then how can they get in and then just fully fucking go back on what they said. How is that allowed?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I'm a bit worried and just to finish. That point that jan A was saying is like, right now, Australians just want to have a bit of a voice and tell Anthony Albanese in particular, we've had enough and this is the only way they can do it is to like drum up support or conversation around one Nation to go look out, Albo, because we can get rid of you. We can if we want. We don't want to, we don't want to vote them, so can you sell yourselves out? But look what we can. We have the power to do this right, And I went, I get it. I actually get what she's saying. And I agree that what she's saying is correct. There'd be plenty of people who I'm not saying donated, but definitely are looking at people. And that's why we're seeing a rise of One Nation because they go, oh, we don't want labor, we don't want liberal. We've given them a chance. Who else? And then One Nation is just so loud and you know it's pauling hands and she's always on bloody every sunrise today show everything just like spewing whatever she's saying. It's like the next thing that everyone just kind of lands on. Right, So Anyway, I am sitting here right now as someone who has obviously always thought voting labor is like a good thing to do. And I had full faith in this government and I voted for Anthony ARBERESI to fix the mess that we're in, and he has not lived up to the expectation or the vote that I gave. And I am absolutely livid that we are still facing all of these problems. Just like it's just.
Speaker 1: Like something has to completely change, haha. It's like a fucking random independent business owner person needs to fucking step in, like someone that has built something out of nothing. Because again, correct me if I'm wrong, but like, aren't all the politicians and like the past prime ministers, haven't all of them come from wealth?
Speaker 2: A lot of them exactly? That was Anthony Albaneze's difference. He's like, oh, he's one of us, but like they.
Speaker 1: Need to it needs to be someone who has like built something out of nothing and who actually who understands what it's like to struggle or go through hardship, like because how on earth can people who have just come from money and had it so easy, like you know what I mean? And I see this from like a business owner's standpoint as well. When they're like sitting there talking on the TV about business owners when they've never fucking done it themselves, how can they be the one advocating four businesses and right from wrong and know what's best for business owners? Like small businesses are the backbone of Australia. They have all the jobs. But then you've got people making decisions for business owners when they've never fucking started one in their life. Starting and running a business is the hardest thing anyone will ever do. Like, businesses don't make it to three years in Australia. Most of them fail. So how can there be people like making decisions when they've never even fucking walked in that past.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It needs to be a complete overhaul.
Speaker 2: And I agree on that. But this is the comment that I left on jen A's post. I said, because she says something on the lines of, you know, Australians want someone else to come in and have a go because they're sick of these two major parties. And I wrote a comment saying I'm all for bringing in someone else and having a go. I don't think one nation is the right choice. And then I said, maybe I should run for prime minister.
Speaker 1: Literally, let's make a new political party.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I mean I think we could literally do it better. How hard is it? Like, how hard is it genuinely to fix and just to do?
Speaker 1: But is the Prime Minister actually the one making the decisions or is it a whole team and he's the spokesperson.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but you know, I've seen other people do podcasts with Albo. I would love to get him on our podcast, gay J if you can sort that out. Well, he was just on Bush Deeps. I'm sure I could get the info. Please, Yeah, because I'd actually like him, But also what conditions are there? I'd be scared that they'd be like, oh, we can't answer that, we can't talk about that. We kind of yeah, may be so much like that. I think like other people who have and not to discredit them, but I think other people who may have interviewed him, especially before the election, like the podcast that interviewed him, I would assume they either had like approved questions or things were off limits. Like I would love for him to come in and I would love to be able to say to his face, like I am someone who voted for you to fix this and things are getting worse, Like you haven't done and like what's your explanation? He's not going to come on the podcast. I don't going to be the person to say that to him, but like, do you know what I mean? Like someone needs to ask him and everyone in government right now, like what the fuck are you doing?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: What what is? What is? How is it so hard? Am I like naive for sitting here and going it can't be hard.
Speaker 3: It's not hard because I mean, labor have such a huge majority, But because they have such a huge majority, they don't have to really like get the other parties to kind of jump in on them with them on a lot of stuff, do you know what I mean? So they're just kind of doing what they want as a party, which in a political sense can be bad. Like you kind of really you kind of want like a close balance of power sometimes because that way you're actually challenged more and he won't be able to get through as many things without needing the votes.
Speaker 2: I'm speaking very generalized right now. I know there's a lot more to it.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of the voters are moving over to one nation big because they're done with the Liberals and the rhetoric and the campaigning is moving them more far right. I would think that all the Liberal voters who jumped over to Labor will probably move back to Liberal. However, that party is in absolute shamble, so I don't know how they're going to recover before the next election, Like it's going to be really really interesting to seek.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: I know the whole thing is good, but I think Pauline's going to unravel herself as well, because she just went on the news and the other day I saw a video of her saying she wants house prices to drop in Australia, which obviously for people who don't have a house yet, everyone's going, yeah, yeah, cheaper, But everyone who has a house doesn't want their asset to So I think she's going to shoot herself in the foot. But by the time we get to our twenty twenty eight election anyway, because.
Speaker 3: Now she's riding the wave right now, this is going to happen for the next two and a half years.
Speaker 2: But we've never seen it like this where one nation is so.
Speaker 3: No but who knows where that will end up in a year. You remember, you think of a year ago now and how different was you know, you just don't know where it's going to land.
Speaker 2: You're just kind of gott to ride the wave.
Speaker 3: Obviously it's important to speak out about this kind of shit and call it out, and a lot of people are doing that, but just you just got to ride the wave.
Speaker 2: I think the hard thing is for me, sorry to just wrap this up because I know this is going for a long time, but like, and I know we never get political here and that's not what this is. But like it's like so it's like such a scary time because like just like in my opinion, like a vote for Pauline Hanson is a vote for Australia to end up like America where they go, oh and then and then in two years time, everyone goes, oh, I voted for Donald Trump because I thought he was going to do this, but now he's ruining my life because he's put all these tarists on and he's evicting everyone. And I voted for him, and now I'm getting deported from my own country that i'm a citizen in like that kind of stuff. Like that's what I see with Pauline Hanson. Whether you agree or not, Like that's my opinion. But the frustrating thing for me is I'm like, well, who the fuck am I meant to vote for? Well, do you know what I mean? I'm not.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I think he's going to be a real power. I have to find that. Hannah Ferguson said she's going to be an independent, but I don't even know if I'm eligible to vote for her. Where's she from? I don't because that's the other thing I've got to vote for the person in.
Speaker 3: Mynay, shout it to Hanah, Let's get her on the pod.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Actually, actually, let's do it and have a political episode to talk about this reach out to her. I would love that because she will know a lot more and we'll be able to have this kind of conversation with her, and she might be able to guide us through it, because I do think that a lot of scrollers are probably thinking the same as me right now. Where we go, okay, we if you like me, we hate the Liberals obviously, and then we go, okay, well, Labor's, you know, the better of the lesser of two evils, so we'll go with Labor or even the Greens, right, But then the Greens couldn't cut it last time, And then Labor got in, and now Labour hasn't done.
Speaker 3: Cut it because so many of the Liberals went to Labor and that completely lifted up their vote, so the Greens had no chance, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So, but if you're like me, you're sitting here going okay, Well, the two major parties don't work. The Greens haven't got in either. Where else do we go? Now me, I go, there's no fucking way over my dead body am I ever voting for one nation? But I go, but we do need someone else or something else, some other opportunity. And I think a lot of Australian scrollers who are listening would be feeling that and be on the same page when I say that, and we'd be very frustrated with what is going on right now. And I think getting Hannah ferguson this is a call out to her. Hopefully she can come on the podcast, and just like I want to say, reassure everyone, because I feel like a lot of people listening would be in the same boat where you go, no one's as good as anyone, fuck them all, what the fucky? Because that's how I feel right now. I go, what I feel the same way I have the same way anyway. If you didn't want a political episode today's Scrollers. Sorry about that, but we'll see you next Tuesday.