Speaker 1: Get a get a and hay your gal when Hello everyone, Smell and Monte be a show and tel podcast. Thank you for coming on and listening to us today. Cheky little crumpets Gay. That color is great on you. You'll see it in a social clip.
Speaker 2: But she's wearing like a very sort of red coral orangey sort of top. But it's a very good color.
Speaker 1: I thank you. You know what, if you want people to compliment you wear a red top. I've got two red tops, and without fail, somebody will go, oh, great color, that great color looks great on you every single time, and I'm like, well, maybe it is my color. We all have a color. But it's also because people there's not many people who wear bright colors. So then when you wear a bright color, it's like, oh, look they're wearing a bright color. That looks great. I've also started to try and wear tighter things. I'm not comfortable in tight things, but I'm like, I need to maybe mix it up a bit instead of wearing baggy T shirts all the time, just wear something that's a little more body hugging. Yes, yes, I'm not comfortable. I'm not there yet. You know what's been huge for me too, is like always whenever I have exercise pants and wear something around my waist, like a little a thin, little top I can do up at the front. And my friend Carey is like, we're stopping that now, and I've stopped it and I'm not comfortable with it, but I'm doing it anyway.
Speaker 2: Well, isn't that where they say you grow, oh when you're uncomfortable?
Speaker 1: I guess so I don't care to grow anymore? Do you know what I mean? At forty two, I don't care to grow or push myself.
Speaker 2: I think you should. Nah. I had this argument with my husband the other night. Well, not an argument, that's I say, everything's an argument, but just this, like, you know, when you're so such different people, we're so different. I'm so curious about everything, Like so I oh hears something, I'll read something. I'm like, oh my god, did you know that? Blah blah blah, and he just it's like, ohh yeah, I said, aren't you curious about stuff? Like don't you want to learn more? Don't you know? I don't get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't care to that much. It's only when I'm surrounded by people that are so much more intelligent. Than me that. I'm like, I wish that I was more intelligent. Like we get the Saturday Quiz texted to my phone each week and we do this quiz and it's really quite challenging and I might answer two out of twenty five. But Sam just has all this random knowledge like geography everything like that down pattern. I'm like, I do not have any of that. Even my son will rip out, my twelve year old son. I'm like, how do you know that? Where I'm not that kind of person, but you're I don't know anyone who googles more than you, like you are the Googler.
Speaker 2: Because I just feel like, if I'm curious about something, it's so easy to get the answer, and then you've learnt something. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's true. I guess even if it's.
Speaker 2: Something upid that doesn't matter, still something.
Speaker 1: Still something. I just only remember the stupid shit, the pop culture ridiculousness, like that kind of stuff speaking which I was on Facebook the other day, right, yeah, and I saw a meme No it's not pop culture related at all, but a recorder going how useless it was that we were taught the recorder. It's cool, Like I have never used it. In one part of my life, but we all went. I reckon. If you went to school in the nineties, you learned the recorder, did you mail? Yes?
Speaker 2: I did, And I feel like the reason is because it wasn't like it's not an instrument. You've got a fork a lot of money out for Yeah, and also I guess it's I don't even know what sort of is it. Would wind, would win, would wind?
Speaker 1: God, the same sound is so hideous and there was no kid that mastered it. And when I saw that, I was like, oh my god. I vividly remember the music room at school. It was the shittest room too.
Speaker 2: There was like same.
Speaker 1: No, it was not one of those fancy schools that had all big drums and stuff. There might have been one bongo in the corner. And then the recorders, you know, in a tub. Remember, everything would go into the tub.
Speaker 2: Yes, and you would remember what the first song you would have learned on recorder would have one hundred percent been hot Cross bunds Oh yes, and then people would do it with their nose.
Speaker 1: It was like the party trick. Yes, but it reminded me of my music teacher. And I've definitely told you this before. But probably a while ago. So I'll retail because I mean, let's be honest, not much happens. So we have to retell stories over the years because we've done over four fifty episodes. Yes, so the music teacher also doubled as the bike ed teacher. Which do they still do bike ed now? I never see a group of kids riding around.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so. But also that would they were. They're the best teachers, the drama teacher, we have, the music teacher. Yeah, the best.
Speaker 1: They're the loosest, they are the and this was this thing. This guy was clearly an alcoholic, right, he would often stay in the school. We all knew it'd be like, oh, he slept in the music room last night, but he also did and he stunk a bit like he was just a bit sweaty and.
Speaker 2: Nasty, same clothes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was just like, oh, he's down on his luck, you know. But I mean, clearly, as asshole kids, we didn't give a shit about it. So anyway, so he was doing bike head and the kids would kind of ride around the school and on the outsides of the school, around the roads and stuff. And I remember my friend wrote her name on her undies and then wrote my name on mine, and then we would run out onto the road and flash the bike ed kids as they rode past, to try to strump them anyway.
Speaker 2: That's so stupid. Who was it that flashed you? I know one said Haiti, and one said, can't car yourself in anyway.
Speaker 1: So I remember he pulled Kara and I out a class, not his class, a different class. He came and got us and we stood up. You know when you vividly remember exactly where you were. I remember were undercover near the canteen, and he screamed at us so loudly. There was spit coming out of his mouth, and he had tears rolling down his.
Speaker 2: Cheeks, and I'm like he was having a breakdown he was having I'm like, you can't be that upset that we've written our name on our undies and flash the bike head kids.
Speaker 1: Like, as a kid, seeing a grown man, who's your teacher, who's your authority cry because you've done something like that is really fucking tramatic.
Speaker 2: You were his tipping point.
Speaker 1: It had too many Scotch and bourbons. The night before it slept rough with his head on a bongo, and then that was.
Speaker 2: It well, you know what, speaking of school and teachers, Yes, the other night I was looking through I was trying to find a photo, and you know, there's like you've got boxes you never unpack your you know whatever. I found all my school reports.
Speaker 1: It's so great you've kept them all well.
Speaker 2: My mum had them and then she gave them to us when we moved out of home or whatever. I would say that there's a lot of insight that can be had into you as a child, that can explain maybe the sort of life you have now, or give you some insight into yourself. Every report said the same thing, Yeah, pretty much. Sometimes the teacher was nicer and wasn't a complete asshole in the way they wrote it. Which, speaking of writing it, spare a thought for the eighties when the teachers had to write handwrite. Also, they were so much more personal though, because now it's like, there's nothing personal about your kid. Are they meeting where they should be?
Speaker 1: Totally? It's a tick of a certain thing and then a sentence or two. But yeah, they used to have to handwrite it, and remember you'd get a day off for report writing day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well they still do. Isn't that like curriculum day.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe it is, but that is a huge amount of work.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I can't even imagine. So I posted like my grade two I'll never forget that teacher, Miss Della Molly. She was such a mole Molly. Yeah, I know she was horrible anyway, But I found my grade five report as well. This teacher I hated him, right, but I thought, fuck, he really nailed it. Listen to this. Allow me to be very self indulgent for a moment. Everybody's sit and graub yourself a cover and listen to.
Speaker 1: Report.
Speaker 2: It's only a little bit, but he wrote in the general comments, Melissa needs to concentrate on the set tasks. At times, she allows her excellent social skills to take charge, and so her potential is not being realized.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Then. In language, Melissa is an extremely fluent and expressive reader with excellent comprehension skills. She also writes interesting stories that have a style of their own. However, that no, no, there was always a howits. However, Melissa needs to check her work as carelessness often spoils excellent efforts. Finally, Melissa is not short of a word or two when expressing her opinions. Oh my god, I was like I thought, God, when you look back at those things, it's like the writing was on the wall. How did nobody see it?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, there was another one you put up where it was like there was another one. Maybe it's your grade three one, no, grade two, grade two? Read out your grade two from missus Moley grade two?
Speaker 2: Mind you, I started school at four and a half.
Speaker 1: So young, so you would have been like six six.
Speaker 2: And a half or something. Here right, this is how she starts off. Melissa needs to be constantly reminded to stop talking during class. This interferes with her work. However, there's that word again. Melissa has a delightful personality and is always seeking attention. How passive aggressive is that she is a cooperative member in class, but needs to accept criticism to enable better results.
Speaker 1: Fucking six year old everything? Everything she said positive, had a butt everything. Melissa has a great personality, but.
Speaker 2: In theme work, Melissa must learn to listen to others when discussing together.
Speaker 1: You're a bossy little bit. Also, it's like a beacon of ADHD needing to listen. Can't stop talking like mine was always Yeah, Katie is if she applied herself more. Oh yeah, talks a lot, disrupts other kids, like always like a nice kid, but but does this and it was always disruptive. God, I was always sent out a class for talking.
Speaker 2: Always, And hey, what do you build your career on? Mate?
Speaker 1: Exactly? Those teachers thinking of you too, like yours, is saying you're good. You know, you're all about talking, good at talking, and you were good at writing. You're the way you write is fantastic. You're a brilliant writer.
Speaker 2: And also you've had no one reads anymore.
Speaker 1: Oh it's so true, and you speak shit with the best of them. So it served us well you know what I mean. Well, yeah, isn't it awful when you get a shitty teacher? Though, It's like you've chosen this career, You've chosen to be around children, So don't be an asshole to me, Like there's always somebody. I don't really have that one teacher that was like life changing to me, do you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, miss young We talked about this message to her.
Speaker 1: And then she took ages to write back, So then you didn't think I was worried back, Yes, but I think most kids will have a teacher that maybe you know what it is. It's just someone who sees potential in you and tells you you're good at something. I didn't ever have that.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it's all you need.
Speaker 1: I agree. There's so many people that are like this. One teacher just changed my life, and I'm like, I don't have that life changing teacher. I just don't have her. I missed out on that.
Speaker 2: And sometimes it is just not even about like from an academic standpoint, it's like a someone who takes the time with you. Yes is important, you know, and it's funny because I can read, like I laugh at those Last night, I was reading them all out and laughing, and then I was like part of me felt a bit sad, like I felt sorry for myself because I thought, oh I was always I always felt misunderstood, and I still feel that way. Like I feel like sometimes I shoot my mouth off really quickly, and then I try and backtrack and go, no, no, no, I didn't mean it like that. Or I'll overshare something and then think a fuck, I shouldn't have said that or done that. It's like this crippling thing. Sometimes I'm like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I am like that too, like often and tone in my voice. Sam will be like, what's your tone? What's your tone? Like my tone is always off. But also I think that's a part of ADHD, is the impulsivity of it. It's like not kind of going this is an appropriate to shout out right now, or to say it like that, like that's an inside thought that's going to be offensive or it's not needed right.
Speaker 2: Now, you know, yeah, I know. Oh well, you know what when you get when you get to this age, you're hanging out with people, but know you, that's the thing.
Speaker 1: That's the thing. And I think I was saying like that. My son is hanging out with this his surf instructor a lot at the moment, and he's amazing. This guy. He's about twenty four. But Baxter, who's twelve, he is choosing to hang out with him a lot, and I love him. He's an awesome role model and he is just just the best guy. And I can see Baxter really likes him. And sometimes backs find socializing really exhausting, and so with this guy, when he comes home, he's happy, he's regulated. It's great. Often when he plays with kids his own age, I can see that it's he struggles a little bit, you know, and I know as he gets old will get easier for him. But I was saying to my psych I'm like, I'm worrying that he's missing out on friendships of kids his own age because he choosing to hang out with this older kid. And she was like, that is not something to worry about. He's having a really great connection with somebody. And when he's older and chooses what course he might do or what rout he might take, that's where you find your like minded people. Where at school you just chucked him with other kids the same age and you're meant to try and connect and it just doesn't happen for every kid, and they're all so nasty.
Speaker 2: Keeps at school and nasty. Yeah, and it's really hard to try and explain to your kid, Like I always say to mind, like even when it comes to bedtimes or whatever, you know, even with my son, when I'm like, sleep's really important or whatever. But why? But why? And I'm always like, this is such a short period of time, This is such a short period of your life that you need to do this, even school. There's an end point. Yes, you don't have to do it every day for the rest of your life.
Speaker 1: Feels like it when you're a kid though, I.
Speaker 2: Know, I know, but it's it's so hard. It's so hard because you feel like, oh, we're younger, we explain it in a way our pers and didn't explain it to us, but we're not to them when we're not, we're still just old people to them. Yeah, but it's true though, like in terms of you've surrounded your people with people that get you that is like muster smell like you know, and you're actually not that offensive at all, but I don't think so either, know, and in front of other people, you fake it like everyone totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, But it is nice to know that you get the choice when you're older as opposed to school, to surround yourself with your people. You know, you just got to find It's all about finding your people in life. Very true. Like it's just if you don't find them, life is really hard? Is it all about? And there doesn't I was speaking to my beautiful mate book this morning. I'm like, I realized I don't need many people in my life like the people that I have I have the strong connection with. Yeah, and also moving to a different place making friends as an adult is really tricky because thank God for the school because they're you get, you know, in kids' sports. But it's also like everyone's busy racing their kids everywhere. So to have the consistency of making a new friend as an adult is really tricky. But I find I don't need that with the people here. I'm like, that's great, you are a mate, But I actually don't need that really deep connection because I have that with a few select people, you being one of them. Now where it's like I don't need it with everyone.
Speaker 2: No, And those people, the school parents, the people that you you know, you've made friendships with. I'm like, you need them too, because you need people just for a bit of dance. Yea, that's what they say nowance bit of banter, just a bit of relief.
Speaker 1: Totally, and also so because you don't. But one of my best mates has moved up here and it's changed my life because I realized beforehand I was really lonely because I didn't have that deep connection here. We're just having one friend up here that I have that history and that deep connection with has even opened me up to other people more, do you know what I mean? Where I'm like, oh my god, I'm not alone here. I've got my person.
Speaker 2: There's been a real significant shift in you happened to Yeah, there really has.
Speaker 1: And she even said it the other day. I think I've changed your life, and I'm like, you have, You've actually changed?
Speaker 2: So good to you? Yes, I know, so good.
Speaker 1: All right, before we go, mal you said I've got some judgmental opinions. So it's been through those I do. Okay, So number one, Yes, I judge you. Of course I thought it was going to be a personal attack.
Speaker 2: Sorry, no, no, no, no, this is just I judge you in general. I judge all of you, yes, all of you listening. When you leave your ship on the table at a food corn or something like, it's the same principle as putting the trolley back.
Speaker 1: I know. It's a similar thing to the trolley. And I'm just pausing because I'm trying to think, do I do that?
Speaker 2: No, you don't. I can tell you.
Speaker 1: Don't think I do, because usually, like a fast food restaurant or at a shopping center food court, there's a lot of bins around. But if I was running really late, I might or I might put mine in, But say ah Loe might leave his drink on their for example.
Speaker 2: Well one thing that's a bit different. You know what I even do, and it probably makes the weight staff uncom so.
Speaker 1: You don't stack. You can't stack.
Speaker 2: I stack, or even when they come to take my plate, I put everything like on the plate and then you know, like hand it over to them the fork and knife together, so I can ingrain to things. I had the feeling of being weighted on.
Speaker 1: I don't like it comfortable, because I think that is an annoying thing because sometimes when I've done that, they're like, oh, you've done my job for me, and I'm like, they're thinking, you haven't stacked it right for starters, and this is going to be tricky. I can't stack them all like my arms now because of how you've stacked. You don't stuck your plate and the other people's do you.
Speaker 2: Let's say it's just me, Mark and the kids. There's four of us, I'll put I'm happy to put the plates on each other and then put the cutlery on top. How much more like how much more concise can you get with a stacking? You can't stack wrong if that's the case, you know what I mean, I'm I feel stackings offensive.
Speaker 1: I just want I don't know. I feel like it's like you're paying to go out. That's a part of the waiter's job. I just don't. I think you're crossing the line with a stack at a restaurant.
Speaker 2: I feel like if I was a waiter and someone stacked, I'd be like, you'd be appreciative. I'd be appreciative they made the effort. I'm very funny. Even massages and stuff. We've talked about this before. I hate the feeling that and I notice how the world works. Somebody doing something for me I feel uncomfortable with, like I can't accept it. So then I've got a talk to them because I feel bad.
Speaker 1: That's annoying for the massage therapist too. There they don't want it. That's exhausting enough for them to rub their hands into you. They don't want to chit chat with you.
Speaker 2: No, A lot of them are very chatty. I can't say, don't talk. We went to Crown Yes years ago, beautiful, but I think there was a form there that said do you want no talking? And I ticked no talking yes, and she did not speak to me, and it was I didn't feel bad then because I was like that was a predetermined year.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, so if it's pre organized not to chat, you're okay with it. But during it you can't handle that silence. Isn't it funny that you can't handle? What about the garbos that collect your bins? Are you uncomfortable about them taking your rubbish away? No?
Speaker 2: But I'm not there looking at them while they're doing it, right, Okay, they're just waking me up with a fucking noisy truck at five am, but I'm not there. I think it's when it's a face to face interaction. I don't know what it is. You could never have a cleaner. I have a cleaner and sometimes. The other day I sat on the couch while she was cleaning, and I felt revaulting. I could never I would never die.
Speaker 1: It was a stretch for me. I just was on my phone and I'm like, I just want to sit for a minute because she's he her for three hours. My house isn't even that big, but I'm like a string and a half actually, so that's my whole morning gone. Oh my god, I sound so ungrateful, But to me, a cleaner is essential. Sam and I it saved our relationship but I yeah, it is. Often I'll go into my room I try and make myself scarce, or I'll go out, but I didn't, And as she was podding around, I'm like, this is you are such an entitled, filthy bitch sitting here.
Speaker 2: Imagine you were just following her around talking to her and then going.
Speaker 1: Mister Spott, yeah totally. Can you just scrub that a bit harder? And then I feel like a brat because I don't think she's very good at it. I'm like, Sam, I need to get a new cleaner. Oh yeah, if you're paying for it, I agree. Yeah, No, I want my house done properly. And then I have to say, oh can you please do this? Can you please do that? And that makes me feel uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nah nah, all.
Speaker 1: Right, We're going to get out of here. Everybody hit us up at anytime anytime you like show and Tell online, is stacking inappropriate or not? Let us know your thoughts on that. Instagram's the best place to get us if you can leave a message or what is it called like a comment, or you can give us a rating wherever you listen to our podcast. It's so helpful because it bumps up us in listening, and then we can find other like minded rad people like yourself who will listen to us. But we'll chat to you soon.
Speaker 2: Love you,