Speaker 1: Hi doctor Jeff, welcome back to the You Project.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. It's great to be back.
Speaker 1: Why would you do this to yourself? Why would you do this twice? Did you not learn?
Speaker 2: I am an into punishment, self flagellation. This is this is what I'm all about, to help me grow. The pain, you know, helps me grow and develop as a as a man and a professional.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's good for you. Just lean into the adversity, bro, because Tiff and I are here to help you feel the pain and build resilience and awareness and competence and equanimity, being able to be the calm and the chaos that is her. And I better say a load of Tiff because she's also on the show. Hi, Tiv.
Speaker 3: I'm just here to provide the you stress apps. Good stress, All right, well I'll provide.
Speaker 1: I'll provide the distress and we'll give it both barrels, both kinds to the doctor. See how he is. Hey, mate, welcome back. And I believe you're going to become a quasi unpaid regular. I don't know if that's any good for you, but thank you so much. I don't know why you do it, but we're very grateful. How is your Christmas in New Year or how is your holidays?
Speaker 2: Wonderful? Lots of family, lots of cookies. I'm paying for that now with extra time in the gym, but wonderful. I hope you and yours had a great holiday season as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you. It was an interesting one for me. It was a few peaks and troughs, but nonetheless we come out the other side. I'm just looking out the window right now. I live in a place called outside of Melbourne anyway, and it's an absolutely beautiful day. It's going to be like twenty eighth DeGreasy, which is what is that? That's probably two thirty it's probably around eighty eighty five fahrenheit. What's it like? What's it like where you are right now?
Speaker 2: Well, we're in the middle of winter here in Las Vegas, and the desert gets hot in the summer, but it gets a bit cold in the winter too, so we're I got out to the car this morning to go to work and it was probably below forty fahrenheit.
Speaker 1: Did you say below forty I did, dude. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: The desert gets cold because we don't we don't have moisture, so there's nothing to trap the temperature in the air, so the area is cold in the winter and hot, hot heart in the summer.
Speaker 1: Yeah wow. So with that minus forty, there's no snow though.
Speaker 2: We rarely get snow here in Las Vegas. Every now and then we get a dusting but doesn't last. But in the in the mountains surrounding the Las Vegas is a bit of a valley in the in the mountains, we do get snow. You within within a good hour hour and a half drive, you can be in some in some deep snow.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Southern Utah, Yeah.
Speaker 1: We don't get a lot out. Well, we do get snow over here, but it's not really well not really, although we do have a disproportionate number of Winter Olympians to won Winter Olympic gold medals, which is quite quite amazing because we're essentially an island that's surrounded by beaches, and we're renowned for our beaches and our summer kind of vibe. But hey, all right, so let's get underway. I wanted to ask you, I think there was an invitation there that you skipped right over.
Speaker 2: You were inviting me to your beaches.
Speaker 1: I am exactly doing that all you need to do is come over here and we will run We will run some seminars and workshops with you. If you get your I will make the workshop. I will make the workshop or workshops happen if you get over here. All right, deal, all right, we'll talk about that. That'll be in uh, that'll be our post chat chat. I wanted to ask you. People always ask me because of what I do in my background exose physiologists and all of that stuff and owning gyms and working in the space and neuropsychology and blah blah blah, like they want to know what I do. People want to people want to know weirdly, what what do you eat? Like? How often do you work out? How much strength training do you What do you think of cardio? What do you think of running versus walking? Do you drink? How long? How you know? Right? And I'm the most boring fucker on the planet because I had two meals a day. I've never drunk booze, I've never been high. I'm I don't know if I'm obsessed or disciplined. It depends on the day, but I'm probably I'm probably a little bit of both. Right, I was thinking before, like as much or as little as you want to share, What does a typical day or week look like for you in terms of you managing you? I want to know food, exercise, sleep, supplements kind of the protocol. Yeah, what do you do? How do you manage.
Speaker 2: You do in the life? So I I am a brain works early in the morning kind of guy. So I will get up. I like to exercise in the morning, exercise later. So I will get up. I will have a new tropic drink that's an oo tropic, not any w tropic. So something to stimulate my brain, whether it's you know, some carnetine protein drink or you know, maybe a cup of coffee on a cold day or something. And I get I get get cleaned up, get to work, and my brain works best. So I do. I like to have some time by myself in the morning where I get work done. I do some writing. I do quite a bit of writing, actually working on my book and all this. So I do that. I am an intermittent feeder. Some people call that intermittent fasting or circadian feeding. And I don't eat until lunchtime religiously that that particular biohack comes easy to me, which is one of the reasons I do it, besides the health benefits, uh and and and the fact that sometimes I don't shut off my eating right at dark, I might, you know, let that go a little bit beyond. So, so that's my compensation there. I have a protein heavy lunch. I do take supplements. I take quite a few. That's my daily dose right there.
Speaker 1: Wow wow, but not so scary, Jeff, Just for those who are on enlistening, Jeff just held out the bag what looks like forty forty capsules of all different show. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you know some of the some of the more important ones are vitamin D three. We've got, you know, my omega threes in here. I take plenty of that. We've got some probiotics. Then a bunch of other phyto nutrients I don't get in my regular diet because the food here in is horrible. And then late in the afternoon or early in the evening is when I will start to lose mental steam. And I like to go to the gym. I like to be efficient. I'll do high intensive cardio, maybe fifteen minutes interval training. I'll do some strength training. I like to do one set to failure. Instead of multiple sets, I like to do some yoga for flexibility, and then I ended off with a sauna. I try to do twenty minutes at one hundred and eighty degrees fahrenheit.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Sometimes a little more. Sometimes I get lightheaded and have to leave early, take a nice cool shower, and home for dinner and the relaxing evening. There you got a typical day.
Speaker 1: They are perfect. What in terms of I want to ask a few things. But so the people who have gone what a new tropicks? New tropics? Correct me if I'm wrong, But a sect essentially improve or can assist cognitive function, right, mental acuity, focus, concentration, alertness, all of that. Right. So, and I think that's one of the things that people don't think about so much, or that I'm generalizing. So don't get offended anyone, because this may not be you, But I don't think most people the average punter thinks about how well is my brain working? How can I improve my cognitive or my brain function, my focus, my ability to produce high quality work or outcomes with my brain while I'm studying or researching or writing, or so what would be I mean, like weight training is a nootropic of sorts. We know that there's a correlation between cognitive enhancement and lifting weights, right. We know that sleep sleep obviously, if you have crap sleep or you have you know, poor quality sleep, that relates to you know, impaired cognitive function. But if we look at just things that we can do.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: What was the one that you said you use for the new tropic you said you use.
Speaker 2: It could be coffe, it could be tea. Sometimes I'll have you know, when Tho's amino acid energy drinks, it usually has carnatine touring something like that. I avoid. I avoid calories really sugar in the morning. So yeah, I guess there are some calories in the protein, but you know, it's hard to get enough proteins, so that that's a challenge of mine. In fact, before we went on the air here, I had a protein drink and a protein bar for my right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And what about so there's I don't know if it's been like it's been coming in my space. You know, when you read something, then all of that comes to your social media feed. Right now I'm getting you know, I read a couple of studies on the cognitive benefits of creatane which originally wasn't created for as a supplement, and now I'm getting all of them. And then I've done I've done I on once say I've done a deep dive. I've done a cursory dive. It seems to be some well, there seems to be some value in creatine in terms of cognitive function.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, I agree with that. And then the funny thing about amino acids, as you know, humans need you know, twenty of them. We make most of them. Some of them we don't make, called essential ones, right, and those are usually the branch chain ones, mostly found in meat, and that's why vegans and vegetarians sometimes struggle to get the right protein balances. But there are even some more esoteric amino acids, some stimulate metabolism in different ways, and we're learning more and more about those all the time.
Speaker 1: What about a lot of people are now using when I say a lot more people, you know, by a lot, there's probably five percent, so not a lot, but compared to what they used to be. But people are now starting to use nicotine, not smoking and not forgetting that, but nicotine for like I don't want to throw anyone under the bus. But I know quite a lot of academics who use nicotine and the like focus and concentration, which seems counterintuitive, but have you heard of that I have?
Speaker 2: And nicotine is you know, all these neotropics effect are neurotransmitter efficiency and function and balance. So nicotine is a known, you know, neotropic. The problem is it's highly addictive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's true. Well yeah, friend of mine doesn't matter. No one knows who it is. But someone who doesn't matter who it is. So they started about a year ago using two milligram gum, so two milligram every now and then. And by the way, everyone, this is not a recommendation at all, as the doc said, it's addictive. My actual recommendation is don't start. But they started, and it helped because they were having, you know, kind of a bit of brain fog and struggling in meetings and struggling to be present, and it really helped. And then obviously after a little while it didn't help, so they needed all milligrams, and then that didn't help, and then eventually got up to I mean no shock here, right, like twenty milligrams a day, and then Rangman when it's not working. I said it, not that I recommended it, but I went, what are you doing? What are you doing? And they told me and I went, well, goodness me, you know, and then so basically created their own addiction. So you're exactly right. I mean, this is things kind of you know, because the body adjusts and downregulates or whatever it does, and you kind of build an intolerance, right, so you need more and more to get the same outcome.
Speaker 2: Yep. I mean for the same reason. Cocaine is a nootropic, but I wouldn't recommend it either.
Speaker 1: That's so true.
Speaker 2: It's also agree for wheat last, I would recommend it for that reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, they're probably healthier ways to get skinny and get focused.
Speaker 2: Than those kinds of drugs.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 2: That is interesting.
Speaker 1: All right. I want to talk to you about something that's more in your wheelhouse and without asking a specific question, I want to ask you a broad question. Can you talk to us about some of the variables and factors around longevity and not just longevity? No, let's go health span. So from my listeners, go on what that is? What is that? Health span is essentially what percentage of your life? Let's say you live to ninety, how much of those ninety years are you living. Let's just say, well, talk to us about health span. Doc.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, that's very good because you want your goal is to have your health span fill your longevity CORC. And you know it's very You could approach longevity cheap and easy. Right. You can do what your grandmother told you. You can sleep well, you know, sleep a good amount of time for you. That could be six, seven, eight hours, but sleep restoratively, you know, pull dark room. You can learn to destress your mind because otherwise you're chemically inflamed inside your body. So whether that's breathing, meditation, prayer, whatever it is in your life, to calm your mind and help calm your body, especially before sleep, because sleep is when we repair. And the more repair you have each night, the more health span you'll have. Third, you can have real food and good nutrients. And that could include a bag full of supplements as I showed you, and it could include you know, grass fed meat, you know, or good protein, high protein fruits and vegetables, phyto nutrients, all the things that we should be eating. And that not the typical American grocery store. You know, preserved box of you know, cat food disguised for humans. You can we laugh, but it's true, it's fine, it's true.
Speaker 1: It's kind. How often do you pick up a box? Maybe not you or me or Tiff, but the average person who doesn't really read labels or but and you. I say to people, have a look at the ingredients in that box of musli bars that you're getting, because musley bars are healthy and you're getting them for your kids, have a look at the ingredients. Firstly, how many ingredients are there? And they'll go thirty four. I'm like, yeah, how many of those have you never heard of? And it's like thirty thirty. Yeah, Like, dude, that's not a fucking healthful that's an experiment that you're shoving in your kid.
Speaker 2: That's right. Yeah, you're eating something that has more chemicals to enhance its shelf life than for its new nutritive value for sure. Yeah. Yeah. Back to our health span list, I mean you got to include exercise, right, We're designed to be moving beings. If you don't move it, you lose it. If you don't lose it, your body has no reason for longevity and therefore no reason for health span. So you have to move muscles. Muscle mass is your goal. If you maintain your muscle mass, that means you're moving. That means you're maintaining your bone density. If you're maintaining your bone density, you're maintaining your bone mara. What's in your bone Marrow your stem cells to help keep you young. So move for youth, move for health span. And I think, as we mentioned last time, hormesis right, a small amount of stress to build resilience. And that could be exercise, It could be fasting, it could be hot, sauna, could be cold, plunge, various different methods of stressing to you know, train yourselves to live longer and do well. And if you do all those things, everything else should be easy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what do you if I had to? Okay, you're probably not going to want to do this, but bear with me. I'm going to give you. I'm going to give you a list of variables and factors that influence longevity and hell span more importantly, and this is this is not science, everyone, this is conversation. I want you to tell me on the ten out of ten importance. Yeah, so, and I know that it's it's a combination of everything but out of ten, diet, what would you give diet?
Speaker 2: I give diet. I give diet a seven.
Speaker 1: Okay, So now I'm going to do two here under the banner of exercise, So exercise, structured exercise, what would you give that?
Speaker 2: I'd give it a ten, a ten.
Speaker 1: And then like, because a lot of people will work out one hour a day, but the rest of the day is highly sedentory, right, and that I need to be careful of that because I spend so much time or I can spend so much time reading, researching, interviewing all that stuff. Right, So what about incidental occupational and lifestyle activity, in other words, just all the movement other than exercise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would probably put that down at a six.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, what about managing ones stress and anxiety?
Speaker 2: I think that's going to be an eight, and I put it eight. An extra structured exercise is at a ten because I think structured exercise can overcome that, Yeah, a lot of the anxiety.
Speaker 1: Great, great, Yeah, I think all of these things are or they definitely can be interrelated and intertwined relationships as in other humans in our life.
Speaker 2: I think that we should work to keep that at a five. I think some people have these coredependencies and needs that brings it higher for them on the list where it shouldn't be, but it shouldn't be zero either.
Speaker 1: That's very interesting. That is very interesting. I'd like to talk to you about codependence. I'm going to write that down, because relationships are healthy until the point where they're kind of toxic sometimes, I think, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, you have to want it more than you need it. That's the element that's important.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now, your environment, and by that I mean like, for example, I have a really nice office and I have a really nice outlook, and I really I enjoy I'm productive than creative and calm in the environment that I've created to work in. But so environment, I mean work life. Yeah, just the environment in general, physical environment that we spend time in.
Speaker 2: I think that's also a round a five because anyone who's mastered the ones that are more important on our list should be able to survive difficult circumstances. Humans have evolved to deal with harsh environments.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, great, all right, what about this is not a very good term for somebody who's does what I do, But I'm just going to call it mindset, all the thinking stuff, attitudes, beliefs, ideas, choices, all that kind of stuff that arises from that space between our ears.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I give them a seven alongside, you know, sort of the neurostress category.
Speaker 1: Okay, we've touched on supplements, but would you put up personally? Would you include that? Well, clearly you do. What would you get them?
Speaker 2: I put them with the diet? So would we have diet? Yeah, because supplements are what's missing in our diet. Okay, because I'm not foraging the forest and the earth and eating of the of the earth as I should as as as we do as we can. Uh, the supplements make up for that lack of biodiversity in my diet that but I need and my biome needs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so true. And for people will keep going with this. But for people to find that out, you know, is the best thing for them to go and get a blood test or is it? You know? How do I mean people that are you going? Yeah, that's cool, doc, But how do I know what I need?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean yeah, you can do very expensive testing. We do that for people. You can test your gut biome, you can test micronutrients, you know, missing from your bloodstream and things. You can also just eat better and take the supplements. It's probably less expensive than doing the testing and end up at the same result.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, So we got three more, and this is very broad but lifestyle. So how we put it at work sleep or in the old days what we would call work life balance. I don't like that term, but like the totalent of our lifestyle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's that goes again with the overall neurostress and anxiety categories. I think I gave it a seven earlier, so around that frame.
Speaker 1: Okay, second last one, what I might call supplemental therapeutical protocols like cold therapy, sauna, massage, all the stuff in that space.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's good. Order we put that because this is like some of HERMESA and things like that. I think I would put that. Where did I put the non exercise movement?
Speaker 1: I think you put that at a five because you said we could really what mattered most was exercise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I want to give these a little more weight, so let me give this a six.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Cool, all right. And last one, this is probably the fluffiest one, but very important for some people anyway, as spirituality or having a spiritual component to your existence.
Speaker 2: Well, I think I'm going to put that around seven or eight with some of the other anxiety neurostress elements because if you if you're deeply spiritual, usually you have better control of your of your anxiety system and your stress. In fact, some people use it for that purpose. Now, those who have a deeper spiritual connection may get more out of it than I can describe, since I don't admittedly have that.
Speaker 1: Yes, one of the things I used to do DOC when I owned gyms, well, well I did own gyms, but all of my gyms were appointment based, so the personal training facilities but quite big, you know, like when we were at our busiest, we would do sixteen hundred sessions a week of personal training, so lots of trainers, lots of clients, lots of business and not all of them, but most of our clients. And this is back in the day before trackers, right, this is when we had hard copy diaries where people would diarize everything from sleep, sleep to booze to coffee, tea, water intake sets, reps, volume workload, you know, reps on the bough, revolutions on the bike, so everything that would have an impact calories in and out to an extent, or at least micros and macros. And so what we tried to do was to track as much as we could of people so that one, you know, if I was training you, Jeff, and I only saw you twice a week, when you come in on Thursday, after I've last seen you Monday, I've got three days of information that I can review and talk to you about. And also what it did for you the client was it helped you kind of understand what works and what does and over time and what your body's toe. And you go, oh, well, when I eat dinner at this time, I feel shit or I sleep bad, or but when I when this much food, I tend to lose energy or gain weight or whatever it is. Right, So it was really an exercise in tracking and discipline and self control and awareness. Do you think that for the general person listening to this, that some kind of mapping and tracking and some kind of tool that improves our understanding of how our body interacts with all of these things we're talking about. I know it's a bit of work, but do you think it's a good idea or do you have a better idea.
Speaker 2: I don't know that I have a better idea. I think it's a fantastic idea to track The more data, the better, because like you said, it's all about these patterns observations that can drive us achieving the goals more efficiently, and we can use that information sometimes to apply to others, you know, And that fact medicine is based on that. It's about pattern recognition, you know, clinical patterns, syndromes, symptoms, and knowing how to identify something when there's missing data or incomplete data. And the more data we have, the better. In fact, if you look at artificial intelligence, I know you, I don't know if you meant to go there, but the entire methodology of how that works is it looks at patterns and data and it looks at a lot of data so that when you provided a new prompt or a new query, it draws from that data in the most efficient way, in a weighted way. So oh yeah, most of the people who you know eat right before bedtime feel crappy in the morning, you know, and it can drive that kind of answer for someone. So I believe that's there's nothing more important than collecting your own data. I like health tech. I like apps for tracking your macros, an Apple watch, or or ring or whoop bound or whatever you prefer. All that stuff is right in my wheelhouse.
Speaker 1: I love all that. This is a weird thought I had the other day. I was thinking that everyone When I say everyone should, I put an asterisk next to that, of course, But how good would it be if everyone's spent like a year of their life learning how bodies work, Like if we did a deep dive on understanding how obviously relative to ourselves, but you know, how food works, how like the impact of all the things that we've spoken about. Because I feel like so many people are yes, we need experts, we need you, and we need people like you, and we need dieve titians and doctors and you know we need that. But how good would it be for the population if they understood their own physiology, you know, their own nervous system, their own you know, their own gut biome, the way their brain works, even down to the way their mind works. Subjective objective reality, you know, self awareness, self regulation, Like doing a year on how I work. I think that would be such a good, valuable thing.
Speaker 2: I couldn't agree with you more. I think that should be part of, you know, a competency, a health curriculum that you know, maybe at the junior high or high school level here, I don't know if you call those the same where you are, but you know where young you know, teens can understand what they're doing, maybe maybe things their parents have not even learned, so they can go home and teach and CERI those skills forward as a society. That would help reduce disease formation and the financial burden that goes along with it as a society would be fantastic for humankind.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I've got mates who a couple of mates who spring to mind who they're amazing with cars and motive. Not that they shouldn't be. That's a good thing. I'm hopeless, right, so if I'm in trouble, I wring them. But I've said to a few of them, if you knew as much about your body as you know about that car or those engines, sh'd never get sick again. At the very least, you're drastic, you know, like they will spend thousands of hours learning about and building and managing and optimizing and developing systems for their you know, how does it? How do I make this thing fucking amazing? How do I make it work optimally and perform incredibly? Imagine if they took that psychology to their body.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, I mean I would love it. You would happily put me out of business.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too. So do you do you say I'm a biohacker? Is that a do you identify? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Proudly? Yeah absolutely. I mean you know there's a broad definition there, but I absolutely am, and I think you are as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one hundred percent. But I mean it's not yeah, yeah, Like I'm fascinating, I don't. I don't really have an emotional attachment to a particular idea or protocol or like, I'm just interested in what works, you know, like and whether or not that's conventional or not. I don't care, Like I don't care. I'm like, I don't just what is the intervention? How does it work? Why does it work? What did you do? What was your outcome? Have you got? You know? Like for me, I'm curious, and of course something's bullshit and some things are amazing, but that's true for any field, right right, What where did you start with that? Where did you start with you know, like I know you're still You're still a doctor, You're still you know, you still have your specialty. But when did you start to diverge from the traditional path.
Speaker 2: Maybe I've always been on the cutting edge looking for new things, even when I was more traditionally practicing. You know, I just because I was trained a certain way, it doesn't mean that's the end all be all.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like you know, in religion, religion, here's the Bible, read it, this is this is the knowledge base you have to learn it. In medicine, there's a lot of training like that, and I learned a lot of things. It turns out we're learning some of those things were wrong, So those of us that were open minded have a leg up on I kind of saw that coming. It didn't make sense anyway, but I think it was about you know, seven years ago when I really was getting heavily into stem cells and my patients were encouraging me to do that as an option for them. You know, I really started to open the world of you know, alternative medicine and functional medicine and and you know the benefits of supplementation, which we don't learn in western medical school. We did not study outside of maybe you know, fifteen minutes on vitamins and minimal requirements, minimum requirements, you know, so I think it was about seven years ago. And when you go into the stem cell field, of course, it opens up all the different things you might try and do, from red light therapy to hyperbaric oxygen to you know, all the hormetic activities. And then all of a sudden you look back and you're doing all kinds of cool things and your doctor friends are looking at you. What are you doing? Look at them, you say, I'm biohacking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, What is there something that we now know that is pretty solid, like we have great evidence for or that you know that twenty years ago people would have said in the mandstream medical community would have just laughed at that or thought that that was ridiculous. Is there something that in twenty twenty five we're like, no, we know this works, and it doesn't fit within the typical medical model, but we know that this works.
Speaker 2: Well. We're seeing a lot of that in the post COVID world. But here's an easy one, and I still get this. I recommend people take ten thousand international units of vitamin D through your day. That will get your levels up probably above one hundred on your blood test. Now that's the Western measurement, so it might be a different number where you are. I've put that out on social media and I've had people write in in comment that's insane to offer that much, And I did a deep dive. I said, well, I don't want to offer anything insane, and so I did a deep dive and it turns out I was right that the lab levels, the lab values for vitamin D three are the levels that are used to demonstrate the prevention of malnutrition. They are not in any way affiliated with the optimal amount of vitamin D three. Vitamin D three is important to me because it's the only vitamin that's a hormone. It's the only vitamin that's so heavily anti inflammatory, although others are antioxidants, and it is high levels of vitamin D three, higher than normal but not crazy high, are affiliated with reduction in all causes of mortality. That means cancer, heart attack, stroke. So if you're not having any of those things because they're reduced by a vitamin, we're going to live longer because you're not buying every day, So your longevity vitamin and if you can get one thing from this podcast today. It's take ten thousand international units of vitamin D three a day. You're not at risk there. Going out into the sun will convert some vitamin D two to vitamin D three in your body. But uh, that doesn't mean that's adequate for you. You take that tip, you take da good good.
Speaker 1: I think I think No, I don't think I do. I think I think I've got it.
Speaker 3: I think it's a little I think you've got it with your age.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's probably some in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the droppy. That's the odd drop the thing, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yes, take that.
Speaker 1: I should probably, I should probably still well, I just had I just had a big drink of a J one which tyst coca by the way.
Speaker 2: Is that an Australian flavor?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, that's funny. That's funny. When you're talking with people dark about you know where they're at in terms of their health and where they could be, and you're you know whether or not you're just chatting or you're prescribing. What's the what's the mix of being positive and warm and empathetic but also practical and realistic. You know where you can you know you're being a doctor and you're being practical, but you're also being I think that's a hard you know, Like, even me as an excise scientist, sometimes I'm going to have conversations with people that are what I think they need to hear, but not want to hear. You know, it's like, here's what Okay, you're you're asking me about your body and your excise program, and so here's truly what I think. By the way, I'm more interested in your well being over the next three decades than I am your emotional state in the next three minutes. But I'm not trying to hurt your feelings.
Speaker 2: And here we go, well said, I mean that we have to be honest with people. We have to, you know, give them options, give them hope, give them informed consent, meaning here are the options, here the pros and cons of all of them. Let's make a decision together that's in your best interest. I'll help you make that decision. But but you're right, sometimes people need the tough love, the tough news. And you know, I learned early in my career, you got to be don't beat around the bush, you know, I early in my career I was I was taking what we call emergency room trauma call. You know, I was young and energetic and working all night and and doing the brain trauma and the spine trauma. Then you know, people came in and the families. You have to meet with the families and say I'm sorry, but you know, cousin Joe, he's dead. So you know, you have to learn to say it and not beat around the bush. Well it was we tried. It was really tough. He's on yeah, you know, and and it's hard, and you got to look them in the eye and hold their hand and tell them the truth.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Is there anything on the horizon in terms of the space that you're in, anything that that you want to maybe give us a peek into what might be the future in terms of the stuff that that you're exploring that's maybe not here in inverted commas yet, but you think is on the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, you know, I'm in the regenerative medicine stem cell field, and we do peptides and things like that. The peptide industry is just wonderfully exploding. Uh, you know, and these aren't these aren't new to our body, They're just new to our knowledge, right, These have been around for you know. Ever, they're small pepties, they're small proteins, and they and they can be hormones. They they allow us to communicate with our cells. And a very popular one you've heard of is GLP one antagonists and agonists and things. So you know that's exploding. You're going to see new peptides on the market, you know, almost every month. On the stem cell side of things, we're very excited about a product, a subset of stem cells and stem cell derived signally factors called exosomes that come from immune cells that kill cancer cells. So part of our immune cells circulating around our body, and their job is to identify and remove accidental cancer cells that we make all the time, our accidental sinesen cells, or hey this cell's wrong, let's get rid of it, let's recycle those parts. Those are called natural killer cells. Well, it turns out natural killer cells might be a great treatment for cancer. So we are looking to get the cell signaling from these natural cancer cells and use them as an augmentative treatment for people suffering with one of the worst diseases we've got. So and this we know cancer is not just one disease, but natural killer cells don't know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that is interesting. Is how does that? I mean, I don't really even understand this enough to ask a great question, so bear with me. But in terms of it's called the FDA and the States, isn't it? Is that right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: How does that? How does that go? You know, like Australia is the most over regulated or one of the most over regulated countries on the planet. Like everything's like everything super duper locked down, and some of that's good, but not all of that's good. Is this stuff? Are these peptides easily accessible and available? Or is it regulated similar to the drugs that Schedule one or whatever it's called drugs?
Speaker 2: Well, well, I feel that if there is a percent where you are that in America we're underregulated or nicely regulated, I think that's wrong. I think we're very highly overregulated, especially in health and wellness, and the FDA historically has suppressed the ability for doctors to make claims or anyone to make claims about a product, including peptides. You can get them, you can use them, but they are you won't you won't find them in a far from a pharmacy. Necessarily, some compounding pharmacies have them. But these are things you have to go online and buy yourself through on the research grade side, which which is perfectly fine. They're you know, ninety nine point nine percent pure, just like they are when they go to the compounding pharmacies. And you've got to do your own, you know, experimentation, hopefully under the guidance or coaching a of a wellness or physician type specialist. But we're not allowed to make any claims. So if you think America is the land free speech, there are limitations there too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Okay, a couple of random questions, just because I'm curious, not because it fits within the flow of the conversation. So I've never I've never smoked ope in my life. I've never I'm probably one of the seven people. If you have you ever? I mean unofficially, of course.
Speaker 3: Of course, not unofficially. Maybe I was a teenager. Yeah said it, by the way.
Speaker 1: Did you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean if you had have done it, I mean illegal, and so you'd never have.
Speaker 3: But if you have, Tay No, No.
Speaker 2: Show is about Tiffany admitting all of her crimes. Last time it was bringing organic material into the country.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 3: She brought a rock back from supplement do you take for your memory, Jeff? Because it is one in a million.
Speaker 2: I can't remember, And that's funny. What I do for memory, I exercise. That's the best thing you could do for memory.
Speaker 1: Unless, of course, you forget to guide the gym. Now, now, marijuana is like broadly legalized in like a lot. I don't know how many states, but it seems like most of them. I'm not looking for a criticism or an endorsement, but what do you think about that.
Speaker 2: I don't have a problem with it. I don't I don't you know, I can't speak to the you know, criminality of it. Some states have allowed it for recreational purposes, some states have allowed it only for medical purposes. Some states have not allowed it all the while, the federal government does not allow it. So you've got all kinds of craziness. We've got a bit of civil war here because the federal government says one thing and the states say another. So we've got absolute chaos. If you think Americans are ridiculous, you're absolutely right. But I don't listen. When I was going to medical school, we had this textbook on pharmacology, and it talked to you about beta blockers and things that simulate the heart, and you know all the things that were found medicinally from plants. And there was a whole chapter on the cannabinoids of which tetrahydro cannabis or cannabis comes from. Right. We skipped that chapter because I went to medical school, of course, in the Middle Ages when that was all illegal, so there's no reason to know about it except for it's evil and addictive, so we didn't study that. I've never gone back and read that chapter. But there are health benefits that I'm learning about from the cannabinoid system. So there are potentially health benefits I can't speak to intelligently here because I just don't know them. But your question is a good one. And if you know American government can pull its head out of it's behind and figure out what it wants to do here uniformly instead of being at civil war about it, it would be wonderful.
Speaker 1: My last one is completely weird and irrelevant. But I listened to a podcast the other day that went three hours. No guess what platform that was on tiff, but they were talking with a former governor of Texas. I think his name's Rick Perry, and presidential candidate some other guy who I forget his name. I feel like it was justin someone the most articulate fucker I've ever heard. But they're talking about a drug called ibergain that's being used, that's used in lots of countries, not in America. It's illegal, but which has been proven to be well, allegedly super duper effective for people with PTSD. Have you ever heard of that doc ibergain?
Speaker 2: I have not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and to you today, no no, no, no no, Well it's not in your wheelhouse, and it's it's you're not expected to. But I just thought if you knew anything about it, because I'd never heard of it till the other day either, Right, so I know nothing, but yeah, i'd now I'm going to do a little bit of it. Just interests me like they people that have have had traumatic kind of ongoing mental health issues, for some of them ten years, are basically miraculously healed within forty eight hours, and then the improvements and the change is sustained over years, which sounds like rubbish, But I mean I listened to three hours on this and it's it seems pretty solid. We'll have it. I'll tell you where you could if you're interested.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mission to learn about this and why it's why is it illegal? You know what, who's losing money for that to be illegal? That's considian exactly if you are entertained by American politicians and politics. So are we.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's it's well, I mean, yeah, I don't think we're too dissimilar. But when I've been to America a bunch and one of the interesting things and you're coming out to Australia because the doctors coming out soon to do some workshops every once, so I've bat and down the hatches get ready, like one of the things I find. And I love America and I love Americans, but is just how little the average American knows about the rest of the world. Like I think probably at least seven or eight times I've been asked when I was in the States if I drove, like how I got how I got to America, and whether or not I drove.
Speaker 2: Isn't there a bridge or a tunnel?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that'll be yeah. I mean it's a four to and hour flight, so that would be a big drive, and that would be a pretty big bridge.
Speaker 2: So no, I think I think Elon Musk is working on it right now as we speak.
Speaker 1: I think it's a tunnel. I think it's a tunnel. Hey, how do people find you and connect with you and all that good stuff?
Speaker 2: Well, they stay listening to the U Project because for some reason, I'm now a regular and you can find me at re celebrate dot com. Our e C E L L E B R A T E. That's our our website, it's our Instagram, it's our LinkedIn, it's our everything.
Speaker 1: Perfect than well, chat off airbit for the moment. Thanks again, Doc, You're amazing good sport and we really enjoy having you as part of the team and sharing your vast knowledge with us and experience. Thanks again, Thanks again, even though you don't know what fucking eibergain is.
Speaker 2: Thank thank you for for quizzing me to to till to to failure.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it. That's my job. You're welcome.