Speaker 1: Amana Phillips, Welcome to the podcast and thank you for returning The Fever.
Speaker 2: Oh I love a good pod swap, I really really do. I absolutely loved having you on my podcast recently. So yeah, if you guys enjoy our chat today, head over to my podcast as well, and we talk about all sorts of different stuff. But you and I could talk all day underwater, shared interests, shared values.
Speaker 1: I love it exactly. And your podcast just for those is called The Healthy Her. Now, like me, you're an exercise scientist. You're also a nutritionist. You're also a researcher, but you also specialize in online programs and biotech, which I've dabbled in, but I think you're a lot more successful. And you are the coach and the TV show, the Australian TV show Do you Want to Live Forever? You're also the founder of Vitality three sixty and a podcaster. Clearly you're a bit like me with the devil mix work for your idle hands. So you've got to keep yourself.
Speaker 2: Busy one hundred percent. And also how lucky do you feel to be in an industry where you never stop learning and where you wake up in the morning and your mind gets blown again and again. Like twenty six years in this industry, you'd think i'd be a bit jaded or sick of it by now, But even in the last five years, I have got more fire in my belly and more motivation than I had ten years ago. Because technology evolves, the research evolves, and we are literally saving lives and extending health span and it's happening every day, And like I just wake up, go I'm like a kid in a candy store. I'm like, Okay, well, what else? What else is gonna What amazing new trial is going to be released that shows us how we can extend our healthpan? So yeah, I feel pretty lucky to love what I do as well.
Speaker 1: I totally agree it's a lot better than being a banker. No offense to all of the bankers that I know, and I know a lot, but it is nice to do something for a living that you would do in your spur time. Anyway, and we met fifteen years ago. I reckon about fifteen years ago at an after party for a rather large event.
Speaker 2: Yes, and you were dressed as a smurf?
Speaker 1: Was I y?
Speaker 2: And you were so drunk. If you could imagine a six foot something drunk smurf. That's that's you were introduced. I don't know how I was still talking today.
Speaker 1: God, that's funny. I'll tell you what it's from the UK. Will not be surprised to know that I was dressed as a smurf. It's been I was about to say it's been quite a while since I was dressed as a spurf, but actually it's been about six months since I was dressed as a spurf.
Speaker 2: Is this your thing? One of your like cheeky you know, behind closed doors or fetish, Well.
Speaker 1: Not so much behind closed I have a first. I first smurfed Jesus twenty five maybe years ago. I was introduced by me and mine Jason, and and we went on smurfing. I think it was might have been my stag Do or his stag Do, I can't remember who's but I just loved it.
Speaker 3: And we had a garga male like this is about fifteen.
Speaker 1: Smurfs and a gargamele, and my my wife was dressed up as the cat as well.
Speaker 2: Ah, I like it.
Speaker 1: And I loved it so much that I now have a rule that if anybody visits me from the U UK and we go out dressed up as smurfs and go on.
Speaker 2: The piss God.
Speaker 3: And I'm very serious about it.
Speaker 1: I only ordered the best blue theater piant and and so I'll tell you a little. This is an unexpected little rabbit told that we're going down. But me and of mine at Tyrone, who may or may not be listening, has been pestering me for years to go to a music festival. And then I eventually agreed last year and I said, right, I will go to a music festival if you allow me to choose the color. And he was like, yeah, sure, whatever, And so I think it was five of us went and I brought five smurf outfits and we all got dressed up as smurfs and it was brilliant.
Speaker 2: See, look, health experts don't have to be boring and don't have to you know, color in the lines. You can have a lot of fun. And you, my friend, know how to have a good time. And I love that about you. But yes, I clearly didn't hold it against you. Could hear We are fifteen years later, indeed, and.
Speaker 1: Then let's not make this about smurfing. Let's get back on track. And however you would make a good smurfet with your long long.
Speaker 2: Term I just pray, all right, well, I'm I'm open to having my arm twisted for the right event.
Speaker 1: Be careful what you say. So let's talk about longevity. We're both geeks in this longevity space and the health span space, and there is so much stuff out there, a lot of it good and a lot of it horseshit. So let's just kind of go through. I'll just throw it over to you.
Speaker 3: Separate the week from the chaff.
Speaker 1: Right, So, what is this stuff that you think is good that's out there that people should be listening to, And what's the crappy stuff or the yet to be demonstrated yet to have the science demonstrated to the level that the influencers talk about.
Speaker 2: Shall we say, yeah, I love all the TikTok trends you see doing the rounds, and look, a lot of them are horseshit, as you say, But then every now and again, some of them actually do have some evidence behind them, or they've got just an adherence the way that they're designed. Some of those TikTok trends actually are really easy to adhere to, or they're motivating. But before I kind of go into the specifics I will often talk to people about. I call it the ladder approach when you think about your health, and we do this in nutrition but also overarching when you think about your health, imagine this ladder analogy where the very bottom rung of the ladder is, you know, don't do stupid shit, don't poison yourself, so get off the drugs, get off the alcohol. And you think of this ladder approach almost like a health ladder. So what you've got the bottom of the rung is that you know, don't step in front of a bus and get hit by a bus, don't take illicit drugs unless you're smurfhing, and and then you go up, you know, and then it's like cut the crap food, you know, if you're eating your takeout and your KFC all the time. So what I see happening as we climb up the ladder, you then you know, you get to all right, should I be going for I'm having a really healthy whole foods diet, So should I now be going towards more organic foods? What I see is people on the bottom rungs of those ladders who might be carrying excess body fat. They might have some really poor lifestyle choices. You know, they might not be exercising, and they're the ones coming to me saying things like, should I be taping my mouth shut? Should I be doing hot cold therapy?
Speaker 1: Kicking?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, should I be taking these supplements? And you know they're geeking out over supplements, but they're overeating and under exercising. So I think when you look at the whole landscape of all the health you know, habits and behaviors, we can make see where you are on the ladder. And if you're I mean a lot of your listeners are going to be very, very health literate and probably well and truly up the ladder. So if you're into the one or the two percenters, then yes, some of these trends and some of these more innovative you know techniques or for example, hydrogen water, for example, mouth taping, cold plunges, you know, really specific supplements like creatine and things like that. That's when you're up there, then yes, let's have a conversation about that. But if you're not sleeping well, if you're not getting regular exercise, if you're not managing your body composition, then you've got to focus on those things first. So I just want to caveat all of this by.
Speaker 1: Saying that, yeah, look, very very good point. And I often talk about you don't build a five million dollar house on shiit house foundations, right, You wouldn't build it on sand. So getting the foundations right, and I talk about four pillars, four foundational pillars, which pretty much what you said exercise, good nutrition, and sleep and recovery and mindset right. And if you have those four then you can build all the fancy shit on top of it. But if you don't have those, for all that fancy stuff is going to be not all wasted, but certainly suboptimal and not the best use of your time.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. And look, I always feel like this saying energy goes where focus flows. Oh sorry, I've got that wrong. Energy flows where focus goes. So I deal with everyday people all the time. So my programs, I've got over a thousand members on our Vitality three sixty platform and we've got everything from the complete biohackers to you know, people that have struggled their whole life with their weight. And what I do see is quite commonly people focusing on one small element like supplements, for example, when they haven't got those other pieces in place, and they think that, oh, if I take my oinosatole for my insulin resistance, that's going to solve everything. But actually no, it's the harder stuff unfortunately, and the stuff that you know, like exercising more and managing your sleep, that is really going to move the need. Also, I try to work really hard to create simple strategies that make those much bigger levers like the four foundational pillars you just mentioned, easier to manage and not get distracted by those those little two percenters, because they really do you know, they really can be distracting. And so the same thing with health. You see a lot of people talking about all these fancy and advanced tests, but are you getting your annual breast cancer screening? Are you? Are you doing it PREDENTI yeah, screens as well. So that would just be my other little warning bell you get. We get all excited about these new and innovative tests, but there's a lot of really important tests out there that we should be getting, you know, cervical screens for women, annual skin checks. Just make sure you're doing all that foundational stuff before we get to fancy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and look, we will come into tests and biomarkers a little bit later on. But if we come back to and the topic of longevity and health span, and let's take that probably the most controversial pillar, which is the one of nutrition.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: There are so many opinions out there around nutrition. And I always say that anybody who tells you there's one diet that everybody should be eating is either demented, or they're trying to sell you something, or they're a member of a cult.
Speaker 2: Three I agree with you one.
Speaker 1: So what what advice do you give to the people that you work with around nutrition?
Speaker 2: So one hundred percent agree. I don't. I don't attest to having one particular dietary pattern that you know that I focus on. If that had to pick one, and one only the Mediterranean diet. And that's where I hear everyone roll their eyes and go oh, but it's just nowhere near as click baity as carnival diet.
Speaker 1: Or it's boring.
Speaker 3: But there's so much research behind you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think when it comes to diet, it's more important about the pattern. And you'll hear a lot of researches talking about someone's dietary pattern, which means that you know, the pattern overall might be a lower carbohydrate pattern, but it doesn't mean there's no carbohydrates in it. For example. But in a nutshell, we are talking about, you know, the Mediterranean style, where we're dialing up all those nutrient dense foods, the fibrous foods, we are dialing down the ultra processed foods. We're dialing up a lot of those anti inflammatory foods that contain a lot of polyphenols. So we're talking about extra you know, cold press extra virgin olive oil. The challenge with this is for people listening, they go, oh, well, that's a bit confusing because it doesn't have those binary I can't eat this and I have to eat that. And I think that's where a lot of these diets get traction, because if you're just like, hey, you just have to cut all carbs and only eat meat, will people kind of go, oh, well, I can handle that, but I will say a few things. So with that said, just a general healthy diet overall, I do find my ladies do respond very well to a lower carbohydrate diet, particularly less carbohydrates in the second half of the days, as in high GI foods because once we're hitting that perimenopause, and even for men as well, once they're getting into that older over fifties bracket, our blood sugar regulation does get impacted. And I just find that people do respond better and generally when you take out the high GI foods, it means that you're creating more space for more protein. You're creating more space for nutrient dense foods as well, because if your plate's not full of mash or pasta, then it's probably going to be full of some healthy, lean proteins, so that would be cutting the cubs down definitely at night. I find works really well. Increasing protein intake. I mean protein and fiber combined is Nature's a zenpic You if you love that.
Speaker 1: I really like protein and fiber are natures and I couldn't agree more.
Speaker 2: Because it's all about slowing that gastric emptying. Zempic works because people feel full of for longer. There's lots of obviously, lots of other factors at play, but if you can feel full of for longer, you're obviously going to be less inclined to reach for the unhealthy, high sugar, high fat, high salt foods so yeah, fiber protein combined is a real winner.
Speaker 4: So I'm sorry, no, can I just jump in there just with so there is there's a sub section of the longevity crowd who are very.
Speaker 1: Pro low protein. So they would say that protein active as M tour. An M tour is basically an eedging switch because it's a growth pattern and it encourages cancer growth and all sorts of other stuff. But I think that the research around this is really not clear on humans. You know, they often talk about animal studies. The one human study I think on that was the biosphere which went horribly wrong, and they had calorie restriction and low protein, and yes they had some biomarkers that would suggest that they may live longer, but they were friggin miserable, they were depressed, they had no libido, all of that stuff. And I think the thing for people to understand is that as you get older, your ability for muscle protein synthesis degree. Its just like your ability to process glucose degreds. And so for me, if you want to strike the balance, it's eight three meters a day.
Speaker 3: Throw the snacks.
Speaker 2: Away, right, Yeah, we don't, we do. We don't need to snack over the age of fifty forty.
Speaker 1: I mean, we really do not need to snack, and you need to snack if your blood sugar's going crazy because you're eating too much carbohydrate and not enough protein, and you'll feel fuller for longer. To your point if you have more protein and fiber, and you'll find then that three mills a day will do you. And then you're only switching on M tour three times.
Speaker 3: But M tour is important for muscle.
Speaker 1: And you know, if you look at mice, a lot of them get killed by cancer. And that's why having low M tour extensor lifespan. But more people die of scyclopaia related diseases than cancer.
Speaker 2: Right, I was literally about to jump in and say, other than heart disease, frailty related death and illness and death is up there. I think it is the number two cause of death, don't quote me on that in the elderly population, after heart disease. And so when you think of the fact that we are all going to be older longer because we are doing all these great longevity protocols, we're going to be old for a long time, and so that body composition, as in bone health, managing body fat, managing muscle mass, preventing cyclopenia, osteopenia, osteoporosis is really really important. And so I know Petertia has this great analogy which I think is just is so good where you want to hit those elderly years at the top of your game from a strength perspective, from a mobility perspective, because you're going to decline no matter what. You want to be declining from up here, not entering it in a pre frailty position where then you really you're already behind the eight ball. And so that's why I think, yes, I understand where the researchers are coming from and where that theory is around protein, But for me, managing muscle and protecting muscle way more important is a much bigger priority.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's not just the direct causes of cyclopenia such as osteoporosis and falls, which are big killers, but it's the contribution of cyclopedia to diabetes, to dementia, to heart disease, to all of those things. So if you wrapped it all up, I think you'd find that that cyclopaia is that probably the biggest driver if you looked at direct and indirect effects. I reckon you probably find it's right at the top of the tree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and i'd love to understand mitochondrial impacts on that as well, because obviously mitochondria the you know, the largest amount that we have is in our muscles, and so if we've had a massive decline there, i'd love to understand when you're looking at MTUR and then you're looking at mitochondria, you know where the which one outweighs the other, because we obviously want that mitochondria function to be as as high as possible for as long as possible.
Speaker 1: Completely agree, and that's why I think they am to our guys, they're just way too narrow, way too narrow. And so look that takes care of the of the nutrition bucket, and I think we're both in agreement a kind of a modified Mediterranean diet with higher protein, lower carbs, especially as you get older or if you have fat around the middle, that's a bloody carbohydrate problem, right. Yeah, So let's then go in and talk about rather than do a detailed one on each one of those, because that'll be a whole podcast. Say you have it sorted right so that your nutrition is good, that you're exercising and I think we would both agree a combination of cardiovascar and strength training. And you know you're sleeping, well, your mindset's good. What then would you start to layer in of all those things you mentioned, some of them like hydrogen, water, mouth taping, cold plungs, creating. What are the ones that would be that you can't up near the top of the list. And I know it would be different for different people, but just throw out a number of them that you think there's a reasonable amound behind it.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I'm going to talk to us.
Speaker 3: That's sorry, let's stay let's keep supplements to the end.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, right, okay, all right, So I'm going to talk to an over forties age group. Is that okay? So people that are kind of in that in that midlife.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and look, I agree because if you're under forty and you've got you're doing all those other things, you don't you don't need any of all this other shit. Yeah, it's like you need it with your body, slow and die. Right, So off you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Okay, So so just from an exercise perspective, definitely VO two max training in there as well. So you need to do that high intensity training, which often drops off, but that to me is a really really important bio hack that we need to include. I like some healthy stresses, and you and I did a whole episode around healthy and unhealthy stresses, which I found I absolutely loved, and I think some of those healthy stresses, and we talked about hot and cold for example. Now for women, the cold plunge is very controversial, and I am definitely not an expert in that area, but I definitely think that using heat and cold therapy in a format that feels right for you. So for me, for example, heat and cold together feels right. So you're getting that vasodilation, and we know that circulation. We know that cardiovascular health is so important. And when you are changing those temperatures, going, for example, you're doing eight minutes in the sauna and then you're going and having a cold plunge or even just a cold shower and then jumping back in the sauna, you're getting a lot of vaso dilation where you're getting these blood vessels. They're almost like doing having.
Speaker 1: A workout completely vasal diliation, vasal constriction, vasive dilation, vuzzle constriction. It's such a massive work out for your cardiovascular system.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so from a biohacking perspective, when you think about how important our cardiovascular system is, and we know that women and heart disease skyrockets after menopause, looking after our cardiovascular system is super important. So that's why I love the VO two max, which is again driving up that the health of our cardiovascular system. I do like that hot and cold therapy. They're ones that I can.
Speaker 1: I just jump in the midda with my comment on the cold because it is there's a bit of controversy around it, like eight minutes in a nice bath is just for your ego, just as simple as that. Okay, and the I spoke to interview profession Make Tipton. You should get them on. Okay, one leader on cold exposure and Mike says the vast majority of the benefits come in the first thirty seconds. If you stay in long enough to until you shiver, you're not having a negative effect on your immune system, right. So, and I think just to be see if and you know, until people have done the studies on different age groups, sex the sex differences, until that's clear, just doing a short thirty seconds to a minute and it doesn't need to be have ice in it. Anything less than fifteen degrees will actively at the call shock response.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go. Look I feel that. I like that when I do it, I can feel exactly what he's talking about there and longer for me, doesn't doesn't add any benefits. And I think you've also got to look at the stage of life you're at. I have a lot and a lot of my ladies a lot of unhealthy stresses in their life, and so you've got to find that line between Okay, well, is this just adding to that and is this going to you know, have an impact on my cortisol or my melotonin production. And so that's why I just but but there is something there. So that's one. I am a big supplement girl. I have quite a big supplement stack in a lot of our you know.
Speaker 1: Let's do that. Let's do that now, let's compare supplements.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, okay, but sorry, I'll just add one more. So we talked about the V two MAX. We talked about hot cold therapy, we talked about muscle. We talked about muscle. I would sleep is such an important biohack. I'm not a mouth I don't think mouth taping is that personally and the research that I've done around it, I just I don't see the benefit in that, and I know that some people do.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Are your mouth taper.
Speaker 3: I most tip? I tell you why most chip because for.
Speaker 1: Nearly forty years I had a deviated septum from getting my nose broken when I was a kid, and they am broken again when I was boxing and so could could not breathe through my nose. It was a mouth breather. And then when I got my nose fixed and started nose breathing. But what often most briefing at night, so I tap up to make sure that I'm NAIs or breathing because I need to retree, and you've got you've.
Speaker 2: Got a retraining. I think again, if you are in the two percenters, and maybe you're an elite athlete or maybe you've got you know, like what you're talking about. You might have a medical condition. But for example, a huge proportion of our members I have undiagnosed LEAPATNA and it can be really dangerous. It can be really dangerous to mouth tape. So I just don't that's it's just not one you go and do blindly. Is it would be I would you need to go and seek counsel. It's not one that oh yeah, just you know, just go and give it a go. And so yeah, that would that would be one that I tend to kind of park. So yeah, let's talk about supplements. So again, a lot of the really targeted supplements are you would need to have one on one. But I'm going to talk about I'm going to kind of part I'll talk about the targeted supplements that we see deficient and insufficient, but the ones that I think everyone should be taking, and you know, there's lots of great research behind them for a bunch of different reasons. Magnesium is collagen. This is for our kind of over forties and one to experiment with works for some, not for all this creatine. Yeah, so magnesium is involved in over two hundred interactions in the body. It's so so essential and it impacts lots of things from muscle function to cognition, to sleep, to stress management, even to thermoregulation. So a lot of people are insufficient or deficient in magnesium. There's a theory that it's you know, the soil in the country or the quality of the food that we eat. We measure that seram magnesium. Now, it's not an completely accurate measurement because really you'd have to do a full muscle biopsy, but it's a pretty good indicator, and it's one of the markers that is so low on so many of our members, and it's very hard to reach an upper limit. So I'm just like, what's the downside?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good point, right, Is that that with magnesium and things like bee venamins and things like that, it's hard to get to toxicity, whereas something like vitamin A you can get to toxicity pretty quickly.
Speaker 3: Right, So I think that's a very good point, And.
Speaker 2: I will just jump in. You just said the bee vitamins B twelve kind of hard to get to toxicity. The challenge is not B sixix, so do be very careful. I don't know why manufacturers put so much B six into so much stuff. But I had a lady, actually a presenter on one of the major networks send me a product that she got on Amazon because she saw some influencer that had a million followers touting this product. She ordered it. It's American product and she sent it to me with the NIP the nutrient information panel. It had three hundred and fifty percent of the RDI for B six in it. I said, how did you even get this in the The TGA would never allow that in Australia because she bought it cross border and she had no idea that. And it can trigger neuropathy, so yes, can.
Speaker 1: Cause all sorts of nervousues. That's a very good point. I should have been a bit more precise with my words.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just one of those tricky ones. So just if you are taking a few supplements, just scan down, have a look at B six and just try to That's why I'm not a big fan of multi vitem. I always suggest targeted, so I like, if you are if you've got sleep issues, designs for health, the brand does a really nice magnesium called trimag RESTful Night. And if you've got more muscle issues so you're training hard, you might get you know, sometimes your eyelid flickers like a little muscle spasm, or you get restless legs or cramps in your legs. Then the Bioceuticals Ultra Night musclees is a great one to have have it in the art anytime from four pm. So that would be one collagen is another one. We lose up to thirty percent of our collagen. And it's not just about having great hair, skin and nails, because I know you're very focused on great hair, skin and nails. Paul, that ship sells your eyebrows.
Speaker 1: Yeah well, well, yes, well and truly sealed for me. But yeah, Cardi is a massive fun of collagen. Who's had it for years. I've been on the collagen since I had my open heart surgery and to help with the repair of your boot.
Speaker 2: Think about collagens not just a vanity nutrient you think about it. It's in our bones. It's connective tissue, so anything that requires that structure. So that's why a lot of women as they're and men as well, but as they're getting older in our collagen declines. You hear a lot of women getting suddenly frozen shoulder or plant our fasciitis. That's because we're starting to see that connective tissue declining. And just like our skin gets wrinkly, so does things like our intestines. You don't think about it, but your digestive tract it's very similar to skin, and that endothelial lining gets wrinkly, and then what happens is you have things like se bow, which is small intestinal bacterial overgrowth where they're healthy, the gut bugs end up in the small intestine and parts of the intestine where the gut bugs aren't meant to be. That triggers an inflammatory response or you get an increased gut permeability, which is a bad thing. And so suddenly molecule are passing through the gut lining which historically wouldn't and that triggers your immune system to flare up, and suddenly you're now getting EXMA or an autoimmune condition. So collagen just helps to just.
Speaker 1: Just on that. I think a lot of people don't realize eighty percent if your immune system results in your gut. So if you have that leaky gut, then that can trigger all sorts of auto immune conditions.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I so many health conditions, and you get the I get these poor ladies coming to me so saying I was bomb proof for years and now suddenly I have to just get a tiny bit of onion in my lunch and I have to run to the bathroom with ibs or I've got these auto you know, rheumatoid arthritis just appears out of nowhere or Hashi motos or and a lot of those are gut gut related and also can be healed through the gut. The great news is the gut loves to heal it, so if you do the right things, these conditions can be either managed very well or in some cases completely reversed. So that's why I like collagen. It's just one of the many approaches that we have towards, you know, all those longevity challenges that we have. Creatine was the other one I mentioned, Yes, so this is an interesting one. You would have been like me in the nineties when it had its moment with all the Jim bros And all my male clients were taking it, and us ladies just avoided it because we heard you retain water and it's only for the big muscly guys. But the reason why it's coming back in the spotlight and why I think it's something that our two percenters who are listening today should consider is because of the cognitive and mood and mental health implications.
Speaker 1: And I am a fin.
Speaker 2: Are you're fan?
Speaker 1: I am a fine Because of the impact on Brian health and and mood, and especially when you are sleep deprived, there's pretty good research that it it it immeerially it or reduces the impact of the negative impact on your cognitive function whenever you're sleep deprived. But also research just came out I think last week or two weeks ago that people with Alzheimer's disease to creating and improve their function. And it's because it is one of the energy systems that our sales all use atp PC. Is PC is fossil creating, and so yeah, it's had it's had another renaissance, and and yeah, from a neuroscience perspective, I'm I'm I'm all in on it.
Speaker 2: And I'm so happy you say that.
Speaker 1: Have you noticed any negatives with it other than people who have kidney issues? Is there anybody else who should be concerned about creating? And any other groups? I mean, I think vegans should certainly be taking more creating because I'm likely to get a lot less of it in their diet.
Speaker 2: It's very hard to get your RDI through nutrition alone. You have to be eating a lot of meat to do it. No, is the answer to that question. Unless you've got kidney issues. Then there's been a small incidence of some gut disturbances in the early days. But I say with anything, you kind of ty trate up. You might start on a third of a dose just for that first week while your gut adjusts. What I say to people who are like, oh my god, I merely do I really have to be taking another supplement, what I say is take it for six to eight weeks and if you notice a difference, then absolutely keep taking it. And if you don't notice a difference, maybe your natural muscle saturation level was good. But I know for me personally, it made I started taking it at the start of the year, and I have been shocked at the difference it's made. And I can there's three key areas in my life where I really notice it so much so that I take it super religiously now. So first of all, it was in my training. So anyone that does high intensity interval training, so I do crossfits, so you've got those hard wads where you're maxing out. You might be doing maximum burpies or chins, but you're also doing strength. We also have a strength component, So in my workouts, I've got such a consistent life. I'm a pretty good guinea pig, and I've been doing it for so long so I know that once if I'm doing a wad and there's lots of burpies in that, I know. I get to burpie number, you know, six, seven or eight, and I start to feel that labor coming in and I start to feel like I have to really work hard. I was doing these wads and I was getting to like twelve, thirteen, fourteen, going oh my god, it's only kicking in now that I'm having to work that bit harder. I noticed my recovery was a lot stronger. I got stronger. So for example, my heavy dead lifts, heavy squats, I was hitting pbs getting a lot sot the next day, which is a great sign that I was able to overload that little bit more. But then the other two areas was firstly my focus. So if you're someone that has to do a lot of deep, hard work and you find focus, you know where you know where your brain's having to work really hard. I noticed a huge improvement in my ability to focus, and I'd kind of look up and go, holy moly, it's been two hours. Wow, I've just been in flow. And then the third area, Paul, which is my husband, was the one that actually noticed. He said to me jeez, you've been in a good mood for like a long time.
Speaker 1: I thought you were going to mention the Beatle that.
Speaker 2: Not that good. Oh man, I'd be patenting it and eying shares in it. I can't say that it has the impact with that, but he were back. Definitely, I've noticed those those feelings of low or depression or overwhelm. I've just had more pep in my step. I've just been like, yeah, will be it. We'll be fine. To worry about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think, and look again, there's there's good research around it, and actually people with depression tacking creating. It's significantly as a positive signet, significantly positive impact. And I think if you think of all the sports supplement, it's the most tested, it's the seafest, it's the one with the biggest impact. And then now you throw then the cognitive and the mood benefits. I think other than people with chronic kidney disease, and I think you'd be bonkers if you're not.
Speaker 2: YEA, think about it, and look, I do think try it. I think if.
Speaker 1: You've run an experiment, if you do it for.
Speaker 2: Eight weeks and you don't notice anything, then either yet saturation levels are good, or maybe you're not. You're not one of those people that's training to the max or focusing or having mood issues. So you know, I don't want people taking something for no reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then you've got you do the ex and then you go off it because sometimes people don't notice that up until they leave it right, and then it's yeah, okay, So there's the big three magnesium collagen creating. Yeah, any others.
Speaker 3: Yes, we're lessed.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: And I'm going to sound like I'm a supplement peddler. I promise you. I'm a food first girl. But we are just talking supplements. There are two more that are so so powerful, and a massive trial has just been released that will blow your mind. And you're not going to believe me, but I promise you it's true because I've literally just been on Channel nine about it and interviewed the I had tracked down the lead researcher. That's how fusy I am about this. Okay, it's so I'll tell you about the trial and then I'll reveal the protocol. So this trial was gold standard double blind clinical trial. Two thousand older adults, so seventy or older but they've done a sister study for fifty to seventy years ros that had the same results. So if you're over fifty, it's the same. So two thousand participants, three years, double blind clinical trial.
Speaker 1: Where they already you've got me excited, Yes, already, I'm excited this.
Speaker 2: Honestly, you are going to nerd out. Oh my god, I love talking to a nerd. So done in Switzerland, but there was all over Europe all these participants. They were a healthy cohort. They were not an unhealthy day was screened. Okay, Over the three years doing these the group that did the three interventions I'm about to reveal had a sixty one percent reduction in invasive CANCERSZ, thirty nine percent reduction in pre frailty, which is basically the precursor to frailty which we're talking about early with acycopenia. And they had a significant reduction in biological age and they used six different biological age standardized tests to measure it by logical age. Are you ready for the reveal? Okay, Vitamin D supplementation. Oh there it is fantastic, rapid D baby, I.
Speaker 1: Love, I'm such a fun Are you going to throw in a Mega three fatty acids.
Speaker 2: Satah, my friend, and the winner is a Mega three fatty acids. And then the third intervention was exercise.
Speaker 1: There you go, and.
Speaker 2: It was three days a week, the world simplest at home using bands. It was one of those, you know, really daggy at home thirty minutes, three times a week. Now. A couple of things here. So the cohort, because I said in the interview with this lady, oh, that doesn't surprise me because so many of my ladies are low in vitamin D. So she said, interestingly, they measured their cohort and their cohorts vitamin D levels were actually okay. So this and that makes the study even more mind blowing because well.
Speaker 3: When I guess what level they got? Did the measure the level that they got, they did.
Speaker 2: But I can't. At the top of my head, I can't.
Speaker 1: I would. I would hazard a guess. It's between one hundred and one hundred and fifty nine animals per liter. And what we'll do is we'll get the study and we'll pop it in and we'll see if I'm right or if I'm full of shit. Okay, you know the interesting thing, because I just started writing my I've just finished my new book, and in terms of my dietary interventions, I talk about a number of different things. One is lowering your ultra process food. Other to your vitamin D supplementation and an Amiga three FIO. Because there's just so much evidence and no obviously this study I might have to I might have to get that study and put it into my book before it's published for anyone.
Speaker 2: Well, it is published now. It's called the DO Health Trial, So just google do Health Trial and there's a whole website and there's a whole bunch of subsequent studies that so they've opened up the die. So then other researchers have gone in and done all the data. So the three interventions, they broke the groups up into all these different groups, so like one group just did exercise alone, one group just took vitamin D one and.
Speaker 3: They all love it.
Speaker 2: They mixed it all up. But of course the group that got the best results was the group that did all three interventions, and it just shows that the sum of their parts is greater than their whole. And one of their big findings is that you know, when you combine interventions, you often will receive this out and.
Speaker 1: You know why I'm not surprised by this beacause there are no twelve published wholemarks of aging such as inflammation, loss of peruleiostheosis, and mitochondrial dysfunction. There's twelve that has been recognized and again in my book, exercise targets all twelve of the whole marks of aging vinamin D I can't remember where it's ten or twelve off the top of my head, and Amiga three at least seven ory of those whole marks of aging. So there are multiple entry points into the body by what these are having positive effects and then the synergy, as you say, if they're all positive, then that's synergy.
Speaker 2: That synergistic effect, and you don't need to be insufficient or deficient in those market in those nutrients for it to be beneficial. In fact, she said, when they when they massage the data and they pulled out the deficient or insufficient people, that sixty one percent reduction in invasive cancers jumped a lot higher. So that's what blew my mind because I was like, oh, is it just because everyone's so low in those nutrients, But it's like, no, it actually offers a protective element and that's a true biohack, you know what I mean. Like people talk about biohacking, this is in my mind what true biohacking is. Where you've got average normal levels so you're not deficient or insufficient, but then you biohack by even adding more and you get this huge like reduction in invasive cancers by sixty one percent.
Speaker 1: Like this is right. So this is the point where if you're listening, stop listening to wankers like Professor David Sinclair touting fucking AMMN that has got really small industry back studies that are just not just buy fucking vinamin D and good quality of Mega three fish oil.
Speaker 3: And look, neither me nor you we don't have any brands.
Speaker 1: That we're I'm not.
Speaker 2: I wish I did, Jesus, I'd be a millionaire by.
Speaker 1: Now, I know. But look, neither of us want to go.
Speaker 3: We don't want for good reasons.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: So so this is what my doc put me on.
Speaker 1: Is rapid D. It's orthoplex orthoplex rapid D and fuck my levels went boom. Yeah, And I am a big fan like and this is where the medical system and functional medicine are very different. And I know you know this because you're in this space, right. It is the medical system. Doctors don't even test for it, and they will say, don't worry about your vintamin D unless you are insufficient, right.
Speaker 2: Which is or even deficient even I mean most of our ladies come in insufficient. The doctors haven't mentioned anything. The vitamins well below fifty before they suggest, whereas we like our ladies at least over eighty, ideally over one hundred.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm same, get into that one hundred to one hundred and fifty band because optimal is very different to what the sick curse system will take. And that's we don't have a healthcare system. We got a sick curse system, right, So that that's the difference. So if you want to be optimal, get your vitamin D up. The other thing is Amiga threes. Get do There's a test called Amiga quant. You can go to Amiga quant and measure your Amiga three in debt, which is a measure of the Amiga threes in your red blood sales, which is a marker of the last three months. People with an Amiga three index of IoT live five years longer. Than people with an Amiga three index.
Speaker 3: Of five, right and mine is six? Expression has that right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's a spot. It's a fingerprick if yes, we're talking about as similar. It's actually a thing, a dry blood spot. So you actually prick your finger, prick your finger. There's a couple of great we do this test and you get a whole bunch of Amiga like an advanced Amiga panel. You get a Mega three six ratio, you get a Mega three index. And so for example, I'm on a one hundred and twenty day protocol at the moment with I'm actually using a brand called Zinzeno, which is a Swiss brand. So we're measuring the blood spot and I'm taking this citrus based oil. I actually mix it with my dark chocolate collagen. My Chief, I love Chief does a great dark hot chocolate collagen, and so I taste like a jaffa because you've got three oil that is citrusy and you can't taste the fishiness of it, and then you have the collagen. And so over this one hundred and twenty days and they've got they've done something like I don't know, four hundred thousand of these tests and so they have a lot of research to show the improvements. And so I'm hoping mine will be over eight my Amiga three index, my Amiga index will be over eight percent when I retest in a few weeks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so all our family got tested, and Oscar has been the one who's been the best at TICK and his his is not above it great. Mine's about six and a half and was about five. No I Technodic Naturals, And again, listeners, we have new affiliations with any brands, any fish oiler you want to. Don't buy the ship from Chemist were hosts. Please do not buy that ship. Go to you can go to I four, which does independent testing, screens them for tensos and toxins, looks at the purity. So you talked about Zenzeno I Technotic Naturals that there will be good quality ones. Spend your money on that chip because that impact of a particularly when you combine vitamin D and Amiga three thai acids an exercise for boom boom.
Speaker 3: And I'm really gat to talk about anything else.
Speaker 2: I know, I feel like, let's just guys, get off the podcast, go and get on your vitamin ding a Omega three. But just a quick fun fact that I learned from interviewing the head researcher from that drue health trial. They used an algae based Omega three ah, not a not a fish based one, and one of the main there were two reasons. Number one, because this was a double blind study that it couldn't have a fish taste because it needed to be because the placebo group were getting sugar pill or whatever it was. So but number two, for sustainability, they did a lot of research and they said algae based. But interestingly, throughout my career, I've always heard that algae based Amiga three supplements have a worse uptake in the body, that they're not as bioavailable as the fish one. And I mentioned this to her and she's like, well, I've got the three thousand studies, three thousand subjects study to show that, yes, there was a big uptake in it. So I wonder if we might be seeing And one of my girlfriends, who owns a bunch of a bunch of supplement stores, she goes, we don't really have many algae based Amiga three. She couldn't think of any off the top of her head. So yeah, there you go.
Speaker 1: That's normally one that I say, if you're vegetarian, vegan, you can go and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and don't be upset. Don't be upset if yeah, because.
Speaker 3: Maybe we only need to look at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, them coming through.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we have magnesium, we have color geen, we're creatam we got vitamin D, we got amiga three. Yeah. Is there anything else that is worth pushing the boat on?
Speaker 2: Only if you're insufficient or deficient. So this is where testing comes in. So pretty much all of those if you all, you know, I'm relatively comfortable recommending those, And of course you can cycle in and out of them and don't want you, you know, having buckets of powder a day, so you might go through different phases. The rest is just targeted. So, for example, a lot of our ladies are low in iron, but I would never recommend supplementing with iron unless you've been diagnosed. But that's a big energy one. So if you're one of those people that are listening going, oh yeah, I've been low in iron for years, I'm like, get onto that shit. You need to improve that because if you're waking up with your knuckles dragging on the ground, you're getting sick more regularly. You know. Low iron is a big one. So yeah, the rest of them are really just more around if your own unique markers are insufficient, and then you take a targeted one. B twelve is another one to measure track.
Speaker 3: Yeah, cool, very very good, and look those less.
Speaker 1: The only other supplements that I'm ticking it too is because of my recent condition. So I take iron because when you do your open heart surgery, or even before it, because of the condition, your hemoglobin drops through the floor my hemoglobe. So I'm taking beef liver capsules. Higgins, just close your ears on that one. The other one is you biquin all, which is Coen's m Q ten And that's again for my heart because I've just had open heart surgery. I'm not suggesting everybody takes it, but the one that I think is worthwhile looking into is glinac, that combination of glycine and an acetyl cystein oka. And so I remember with Professor Grant Scophi, we were at a talk with this psychiatrist was showing all the studies they were doing on an acetyl systing for mood and and like psychosis and and just amazing. And then I saw studies on GLINAC and a series of studies that in animals, they reduce oxidative stress, they reduce inflammation, they improve mitochondrial function to a couple of other things, and enhance longevity. And then there was a series of studies in older adults that showed they improve mitochondrial function, improved oxidative stress, reduced ox of stress, reduced inflammation. Obviously, they didn't look at longevity because it's not long enough of a study. But when you see something like that where you see it in animals, there's an impact on longevity and there are describable mechanisms that contribute to that. And then you see in humans they're saying mechanisms being up regulated. That makes me set up and take notice. Yeah, but again, probably don't need to be on that until you're in your fortiesh prom or even fifties.
Speaker 2: I tell you the cohort that responds really well to NAK what you just mentioned is Perry and menopause transition at women who are going through the storm season and the hormonal fluctuations. We actually, aside from hormone replacement therapy, which works really well for people, the only other supplement we don't do the ashraganda, We don't do the herbs or anything like that. But what we do do is a combination of NACK which you just mentioned, and DIM DIM complex as well, so we use switch nutrition. They have a tub of NACK and a tub of DIM and particularly in the last two weeks of your cycle, when estrogen metabolism becomes super important for managing those hormonal fluctuations, we find even if you're taking those just for the two weeks leading up to period, we get a lot of symptom reduction and symptom management, and that's because they work. The mechanism behind it is helping your body to detoxify those sex hormones, particularly those estrogen where you're getting those estrogen spikes and then falling off a cliff. So yeah, so I didn't I learned something today from where you're standing. But for perimenopause menopause symptoms, it works very well. Certainly for me it does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And look, the other thing you mentioned there is HRT and I think that the evidence around HRT and I is pretty there's still a bit of fear out there that because there was old studies shown that it might increase cancerous breast cancers completely disproven. And I know several women who went on HRT halfway through menopause and went, oh my god, what a difference. Jesus Christ. Well, wasn't I on this right from the start. And then for men I think, which is big in the States but not so much here. I think at a certain element, and again this is getting your hormones measured. I think testosterone replacemi therapy. I mean, I'm not on it yet because I'm lifting lots of heavy shit and my testosterone is still okay. But I think in the future I will probably be on some sort of testosterone replacement therapy because when you have those mature hormones that are so critical for us to function normally, when they drop like just bad shit happens.
Speaker 2: Absolutely yeah, and we don't have to we don't have to live like that anymore. That this is again true biohacking when we can help to manage that natural decline, and particularly with women, because you do have such a big hormone readjustment through menopause, it's managing that storm season. And then if you manage it well, just like a sailor manages a storm out on the ocean, He battens down the hatches, he locks the cupboards, he gets the sale ready. You manage to navigate the storm season while you come out the other side less batter than bruised. And we have so many options available to us now. So it's a really good news story. It's a great time to be aging because we have got these We have got these great new bio hacks at our fingertips. They just have to that's once you're getting into hormone replacement, you need to be working with a doctor that is really experienced. And that's why I'm a huge advocate of integrative, integrative, functional medicine doctors who are really taking a root cause approach and they've done a lot of extra training. So you just want to make sure that you're not just dealing with a regular GP who hasn't just literally hasn't done the training.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I tell you what, I fully endorsed that.
Speaker 1: And I use my functional medicine doctor picture I to Kitlin and post heart surgery because if I hadn't been working with her, I can tell you right now, I my recovery would not have been as quick or really as it has been. Yeah. One hundred percent. So let's look that. The last thing that I wanted, the topic that I want to talk about, which is kind of related to this, are our key biomarkers to track, like what are the things that people should be going and doing it, including the ones that you know your GP can do. Yeah, and that a lot of people just aren't doing because they haven't visited a doctor for years. And this is especially you know, as you get north of forty. You know, previously I would have said as you get north of fifty, but no, I just did a podcast this morning on the massive increase in cancers in people under fifty nine, not because we are aging biologically much quicker and that's why there's more cancer. So I think we the old fit for forty is that the new fifty? Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're one of the unlucky ones that isn't managing their health, well, it's it's this interesting conundrum. I'll throw two quick stats at you and then i'll talk about the biomarkers. The average lifespan in Australia has just gone backwards for the first time in thirty years, so I can't remember exactly. It's unfortunate, isn't it. With all this great technology, our average lifespan has actually gone backwards for the first time.
Speaker 1: That our kids are predicted to not live as long as us. That's fucked. That is fucked.
Speaker 2: But before you go necking yourself, let me give you some good news story. The rate of centenarians in Australia, people over one hundred years old, is growing at a rate of six percent per year. So this is two contradicting stats. Right, you go, well, how can that be? Well I'll explain how that is. The reason why our age has gone backwards is because of chronic, mostly preventable disease. So let's think of if we really want to biohack our way into longevity and a long life. The first goal is to avoid the four horsemen, as Peter Attire calls them. Okay, because that is if you're able to avoid the four horsemen, that's why our life SPAN's going backwards. If you're one of the lucky ones like you and me, you proactively went and had heart surgery to avoid one of the four horsemen, which is heart disease. If you are able to avoid the four horsemen, then you are going to live a bloody long time and at the moment, I feel like the majority of your listeners are so interested in their health, they're going to be that cohort. But the four horsemen are heart disease, metabolic disease so type two diabetes, fastest growing, one hundred percent preventable cancer, and neurodegenerative diseases, Alzheimer's, dementia, etc. So all of those. For what underpins that is inflammation and that's why we hear so much about managing our inflammation. That's why a Mega three vitamin D mechanism and has been so successful in that trial. So yeah, there's a good news story for you before I get onto biomarkers. But that's why prevention is so powerful and taking a proactive approach to your health. Because if we're a true bio hacker and number one goal is to avoid the four horsemen, how do we do that? Well, we measure, and we track and we pick up the early early whispers. So for example, heart disease, what's your cholesterol like precursor for heart disease? And it's a whole other podcast on cholesterol, but we've got our standard cholesterol panels that you'll get where you'll get your triglycerides, your LDL, your HDL. Okay, if you're just getting the standard one's done and everything's perfect, then you're good. But if you're coming in and you'r LDL, which is the lousy cholesterols high, and your tryglycerides are high, well, you might want to then consider doing what are in a in functional health world will then send you off for an advanced lipid panel so we can actually dig down deeper, whereas it regular jeep I.
Speaker 1: Would say not, you want to consider you bloody well shot? Yeah, go and get your LDL, particle size measures, your LP, little A, your april B, all of those things, because it's a very crude instrument just overall LDL and hits the L cholesterols crude ears.
Speaker 2: Right correct one hundred percent. But for those of you that are sitting here and your cholesterol is perfect and you don't have body fat issues and you've got no high blood pressure, then that's probably enough for you. You might want to save your two hundred bucks or whatever whatever it costs to get the advanced panel. But for a lot of my ladies, they have never struggled with cholesterol, and suddenly they hit pery and menopause and their cholesterol jumps up and they have no idea what so so. So the whole reason why we measure and track these biomarkers is to pick up the early warning signs. And your GP won't tell you these because they're just too busy. And the gps are designed the medical systems designed to detect disease. So I have these ladies that have had insulin resistance for five or ten years that we look at their markers. We measure a marker called homer ir so hmair, which is just that it's actually an calculation of a bunch of other metabolic markers, but that will definitively tell you if you're insulin resistant. And HbA one c is another really powerful one. We know that, you know, we like our ladies or our members to be under five point two percent for HbA one c, but we know that five point six to six point five is pre diabetes type two diabetes. So the markers we track we in our program in a Vitality, which is the main program that our members start on. So if you come into Jasmina and if you come into Vitality three sixty, we do this test. You get fifty five buyer markers, and then you do our inner Vitality program, and so we're measuring cardiovascular markers, we're measuring inflammation inflammatory markers. We want to look at HCRP, creating canas like take dehydrogenase. There's lots of inflammation markers, but they're ones that we just look at. We look at certain hormones such as thyroid panel. We don't do the sex hormones. That's a whole other conversation, but we certainly for some people we do send them off for them. We look at liver function, kidney function, We look at key micronutrients, so iron is one. We spoke about vitamin D as well. So it's important to start to track and understand what these markers are telling you. So EGFI, for example, is a really important kidney marker. Kidney disease is silent, and we have people that are at stage three or stage four kidney disease and didn't even realize it. And EDFI is a great market to help you also understand how well your body detoxifies. And you know, we have lots of jokes in the program of who's going to have the worst hangover and if your EDFI is, you know, lower than this mark, then you're going to have a much, a much worse hangover than someone who's EDFI is well over ninety. So yeah, we educate you so that you understand what these markers mean and you know how to track them and pick up those early whispers so that you can keep those four horsemen at bay.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Look, I totally agree that keeping those things that they is absolutely critical. And yeah, yeah would fully endorse people to go along and explore those deeper markers, and even before they get there, and if people go, well, I don't have the money for that. I think making a screen from metabolic syndrome is so frigging important. So for people listening, metabolic syndrome is basically a cluster of conditions, or it's a condition that is there's three from five markers, and it depends who you listen to right about what the cutoffs are, but basically it's high blood pressure, low head SDL or the good and inverticomas, cholesterol, high triglycerides, high fasting glucose, and central obesicly high waste circumference. Three from five you have metabolic syndrome. And especially if you have four or five. And what that means, metabolic syndrome means that you are falling apart metabolically, and metabolic syndrome dramatically increases the risk of every one of the four horsemen. So if you want a very cheap and easy thing, it's because you're doctorable to all of those things right, other than your wear circumference, and you can measure your own blood wear circumference. But I tell you what, if you have got metabolic syndrome, you need to sort your shit. That is like what is less important. This is the most important thing for you to sort out. And that's where then if you do have that fly, that's where then you absolutely have to go and see somebody like you to do a deep dive to say, okay, so highly I sort this stuff out.
Speaker 2: And the great news is with metabolic dysfunction or insulin resistance, the beginnings of your body not it's basically what you've just described. There is a body that is overfed, a body that is struggling to manage the calories that are coming in, and so liver kicks in to try to help out and say, oh, we're going to release more cholesterol to try to bind. You know, insifusting, insulin goes up, like glucose goes up. All of this is happening because the body is trying to manage being in a state of overfed. But the great news is there are lots of really simple little tweaks that you can make rather than oh my gosh, I've got to overhaul my whole diet and change my whole lifestyle. We often say to people. Some people think, oh, I need to lose weight to get healthy, or often with these members, we say you need to get healthy in order to lose weight, and so things. This is where things like fasting, Like we say to our members, you must feel hungry for fifteen minutes twice a day below the neck. So feel that hunger below the neck, not in your head or your mouth, because that's a craving. That's a different You've got to feel the grumble in your stomach. Don't eat breakfast until you feel the grumble. There it goes grelan, the gremlin hormone Greeland, feel that hunger, sit with that hunger for fifteen minutes, then eat something, and then a second time during the day. Because what you're doing then is you're increasing your metabolic flexibility. Your body is searching for energy because your blood sugar's coming down, which is fabulous, and then it's hopefully switching back on lipolysis, which is fat burning. Because we have so much an abundance of amazing energy just sitting on our asses and our tummies. But when we've got metabolic syndrome or insulin resistance, our body has forgotten how to access It's the it can't switch between burning glucose and fat. It's like a rusted like trying to imagine trying to change the gears in a rusted old coombe van. So all these sorry, yeah, we.
Speaker 1: Could just jump in there about how much energy we have. I often tell us, though some of my lessoners have heard it, but I've got a research paper of the world record fast right, and it's a Scottish guy in I think was nineteen seventy one, who was two hundred kilos and he went into seas doc and he said, Doc, I'm a bit fat. I think I need to stop eating for a while. Will you supervise me? And he fasted for three hundred and eighty two days?
Speaker 2: Are you like fully fasted?
Speaker 3: Fully fasted?
Speaker 1: After? I think it was six months or a year. He started having a tiny drop of milk in his tea, but he did not eat anything for three hundred and eighty two days. He lost one.
Speaker 3: Hundred and twenty kilos and he.
Speaker 1: Kept it off.
Speaker 3: So those people will tell you that fasting is dangerous.
Speaker 2: I know, well, I've just finished watching Alone. Have you watched any of those series.
Speaker 1: I'm not a big TV fan, but that is the one thing that I do like.
Speaker 2: Those people lived off the odd eel for you know, for ninety days or something. But I've also heard a fun fact that we have enough energy on our body stored his body fat to walk from Sydney to Melbourne without eating.
Speaker 1: So they they go. Most people have got oodles of energy kicking around on them. Yeah, it's and that's what it was there for, and in hunted owther at times. But sorry I did, I did cut you off. We apologies for that.
Speaker 2: My good news message to those that are wanting to punch you and I in the face saying yeah, yeah, we know that, we know we're overfed, we know that we've just got to clean up our diet. We're like, well, you bloody, try to do it when you're insulin resistant and grown up on ult process food. So feel free to punch us in the face because I have seen in my twenty six years how hard it is to change habits. So my good news story is when it comes to insulin resistance and reversing that and reversing metabolic syndrome, it's lots of really little easy tweaks done. So don't worry so much about the scales to start with, because if you are agreed insulin resistant or pre diabetic diabet what used to work won't work anymore, and so the scales will just make you want to neck yourself because it's just too depressing. So fasting twice a day, a supplement called myo andossatol, which is a very safe insulin sensitizer. Again, I don't you know, my ladies will go super excited about taking this supplement, and I'm like, that's just a tweak. It's going to make a small difference, but it's not a game changer. And of course exercise, so a combination of of you know, cardio strength, I mean honestly, as long as you're out there moving and then cutting down those carbohydrates really starting to bring those carves right down will improve your insulin sensitivity. So just focus on making those habit changes and reducing the If you pick one part of your day that you know is a struggle for you. So you know, I've got a massive sweet tooth for me. I had to work on after dinner because I was all having these big desserts. So just pick that one part of the day that is your downfall and just hyper focus on improving that, and then over time the habits just slowly improve, and then you'll start to see that like polus is kicking back on again. And look, if you are really unhealthy and you've struggled and you've tried everything, then it is worth having a conversation with your doctor about a ZMPIC.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's true. Or get your most tipped for three hundred and two days. I just you know, there's one there's one little language change just before we finish up. There's one little language change that I think we should do that would have a massive behavioral intervention or behavioral effect, and it's changing type two diabetes to carbohydrate intolerance. Ah. If we just did that, yeah, it would be an absolute game changer.
Speaker 3: Forget about type two diabetes.
Speaker 1: You are carbohydrate intolerance.
Speaker 2: I love that because everyone knows when they're dairy intolerant. Yeah, yeah, gluten intolerant. I love it. Sorry, can't no no to the past or I'm actually carbohydrating tolerance.
Speaker 1: I have.
Speaker 2: I have a flare up.
Speaker 1: Just around in your head. Just drive. That's the big thing that worked with my mum, who was diabetic for decades, and since since bringing out on board and visiting Camp Teelor, she has nigh lost over thirty kilos in wit and resolved her diabetes right, which is just wow.
Speaker 2: You must go.
Speaker 1: It's very cool. It's very cool to see she's going to.
Speaker 2: Be on this planet for an extra ten years and.
Speaker 1: Now doing strength training and in the gym almost eity and and in the gym lifting heavy ship, which is wow.
Speaker 2: That is such a good news story. You should definitely write her into your books. I think that's that's amazing. I love hearing stories like that.
Speaker 1: So Amelia, I look, this has been awesome conversation of violent agreement.
Speaker 3: All please.
Speaker 1: Work. Can our listeners go to find out more about you and to join your Vitality three sixty program and any other things.
Speaker 2: Yet going on?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh, look so if you go to v three sixty dot health, that's where you can see my business partner, doctr Yasmina, and myself. We run this platform Vitality three sixty where we do we bring all those functional medicine tests to life and we run programs help whether it's reversing your insulin resistance. But our flagship program is in a Vitality I call it the sleep Well at Night tests. You get your fifty five biomarkers. It's a great starting point. You can also get your bioage on top of that as well, which a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Like to do.
Speaker 2: And then Instagram is probably where I'm most active so and I give lots of free you know, education ebooks, supplement cheat sheets away and I'm very active on DM So follow me on Instagram. We can get connected, you can get to know me a lot better there. And then of course my podcast Healthy Her It is for directed towards mums, so if you're a mum in midlife then it's a perfect one for you.
Speaker 1: Awesome, this has been brilliant. Thank you for sharing your wealth of knowledge, and yeah, keep doing what you're doing and keep loving it. I'm shure you well.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much,